Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * The T.H. Chronicle < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 860

Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading your opening page Webmaster about the T.H. paper not posting anything about Jim's Barber Shop closing December 31st this year, it doesn't surprise me one bit. It is only another reason why I don't take the paper anymore.

Give your Dad my very best in enjoying his upcoming retirement and thank him for me for all the years he has served the people of Two Harbors...

Bassman Jack

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 241

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll certainly do that Jack. Thank you.

Brad
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 943

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what else is new with the paper. This is just par for the course for them, guess it isn't news worthy enough for them!!!! I think the paper should run a nice article about him, not too late for that yet.
Hubby went to Jim for years and years, until there wasn't enough hair for him to cut anymore. I know he used to go up to the nursing homes also and cut the mens hair.

The best to him, and hope he enjoys his retirement.

I heard through the grapevine that Roy (Tom) Hanson no longers owns his business on 7th. Beats me, I never saw anything in the PAPER about different owners.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1257

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The paper should at least have contacted you to say no. TH is not so big as to not pay attention to these kind of events.

My best to your Dad, I hope his retirement is long and happy.

oldtimer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you all, the local paper has been strictly 'fish wrap' for me for decades. Local news is a joke. People we know are killed in traffic accidents, nothing in the paper. Businesses we have gone to for decades close, nothing in the paper. Local factories lay off lots of people, nothing in the paper. It just goes on and on, nothing in the paper. Wanna know nothing about your town and it people, read the paper.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many remember when it was the Two Harbors Chronicle? You could find the high school paper in The Chronicle. I do not remember if it was once a month or every week. It was nice.
The worm has turned, but it looks the same on both ends.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess our paper is not immune to the problems all papers are having. Advertising pays the expenses of the paper, whose mission is not to deliver news to the readers, but to deliver readers to the advertisers. Not just our paper, but any paper.

I am a bit steamed that the paper has not printed anything about Jim's Barber shop, too. That shop has been a fixture in town for a long time, now. With the closing of this shop, there will be only one barber shop left in town, to the best of my knowledge.

I know that Gould's has been on reduced hours for several weeks, but did not realize it has closed completely. What the heck?

And Hansen's place... not his anymore, what happened?

I went to the hardware store this morning, and the owner told me that his store was broken into, over the Christmas holiday. A bunch of flashlights and knives were taken.

I know our paper is on a weekly time delay on the news, so lets see how long it takes for us to find out about the hardware store.

There is still someting nice about having an actual paper in your hands, to read, in any manner you like, whether back to front or front to back or just jump around. Not quite as easy with a computer, depending on what kind of computer you have and how handy you are with it. Lots of folks still don't have a computer or high speed internet access either.

Maybe we are in the middle of another change of some kind -- how we do things, and how we communicate. All of this is dictated by market forces and what people are willing to pay for or put up with.

Some newspapers have quit publishing an actual paper and have instead gone strictly internet. Some fairly large papers have gone to just 2 or 3 days per week, and still more have consolidated with 1 or more other papers in a given market area to produce just a single paper where there might have been 2 or 3.

About the best we can do for now is gripe to the paper about what is missing every week, and hope that steps will be taken to fix it.

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 944

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We don't need the paper, we have our own paper right here on the forum.

Never knew about Gould's being closed, but doesn't surprise me really, but just another business down the tubes.

Tom I agree with you about having a paper in your hands to read, not everyone wants to use a computer to read the news, just isn't the same. My husband would be lost without newspapers, which he reads several a day, computers, he has no interest in that.

Celia Hodes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without a paper to read I'd get pretty bored at work... well when I actually get to go to work that is, with all the layoffs

P Boys
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they still have the NFL games you can pick? My brother and I missed out on winning once because we guessed the wrong high score.

admin
Board Administrator

Post Number: 242

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mmmmm . . . . . . sometimes I have to eat a little crow, so Iíve decided I might as well like it - "crow, the other white meat."

Although I have yet to receive a response to the emails I sent to the Chronicle, I was informed today that Monica Isely interviewed Dad a couple of evenings ago. The story is already published on the Chronicle site. Hereís the link:
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/articles/index.cfm?id=17793&section=homepage

Thank you Monica.
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a nice article. Monica says Jim was the last barber in town. Has Kosky retired too?

torggy

Post Number: 1259

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great article. Glad the paper came through. Good for them.

Hey Webby, what ya gonna do with the chair?

Happy new Year one and all!! Have fun and get home safe.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 947

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice article.
There aren't any other barbers in town are there? Only beauty shops right?

bassman

Post Number: 863

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to see that they finally did a story about your Dad retiring Brad. This statement your Dad made in the article says everything about what kind of Man your Dad is:

Alm had some rules, though. No swearing was allowed, for one thing. He calls cursing "a sign of a low vocabulary." He didn't allow gossip, either.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 949

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know where to put this, but when I pulled up the Duluth Tribune on the net this morning, and was scrolling down the page, I came to Obits, and saw Wyatt Bolen there, Randys son. I go, what the heck! I clicked on it, and it was the obit back from Sept. Not sure why that was on there!
To view todays deaths one has to click on the top of the page on Obits.

charlie_t
Pro Poster
Username: charlie_t

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Chronicle, because of the people on the staff who go out and report to us on what the rest of us don't have time to track down - on LOCAL issues - is one of the great assets we have and one of the businesses that is a CORE cultural asset for those of us who live here.

If you have a business in town, buy some ads. They are cheap, and we all read the paper. I'm trying to decide what to do with my business/retirement, and i would love to advertise and spend some money there. Best buy in Lake county if your business needs customers.

Blondie, I love your posts, but this forum ain't a newspaper. Very few of us read this and only occasionally. the Chronicle is VERY important to the commerce in Two Harbors and Lake County, if it goes we all big losers.

It's a QUALITY paper, without much outside editorial interference. You may agree with Forrest and Monica or not, but they make us think about where we live and why, and what is going on in our community. There are precious few small towns that have this kind of asset. Sometimes I wake up with a "bee in my bonnet" and I write a letter - and they freaking print it! Try that in the Twin cities, or Fox news, or MSNBC.

LOVE THE CHRONICLE

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P. S.

I need a haircut, and without Jim . . .well maybe i have until spring to fugure this out.

I have to let this sink in, he is the best.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 951

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie-t, yes this forum isn't a newspaper, but in a way it is. Many times you read things on here, that you wouldn't know about otherwise. Things the paper doesn't pick up, some things why would they even.

Lots of people read this forum, many daily, but they are not interested or they are afraid to post. I do know people that are afraid to post.

We are not the Twin Cities nor Duluth, and lets keep it that way, keep the small town news going, that is what people want. They want to read what is going on here and the area.

Thanks to those ads, we have found contractors, etc, which we probably would not have known about.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 952

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say, I am good at giving 'BUZZ CUTS' Charlie Zip, zip,done!

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 844

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cut hair for years for dad, husband- friends, I can whack ya, Charlie, no worries!!! lol....

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 803

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie,

I have the red barber chair if you want to come over and give it a spin. :-)
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

webby

What the hell is "the red barber chair"?

I'll take pettite's offer, Blondie sounds good, = = = = = this isn't good.....

webman

Post Number: 804

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry Charlie, it's not a euphemism for anything. It is the chair from Jim's barber shop, and it is red. Although petit's offer does sound enticing.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 380
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the airplanes in the window?

webman

Post Number: 805

Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Northwest model flew home to its owner. It was just in the window on sort of a loan. The biplane? I don't know where that one went.

(Message edited by webman on January 06, 2009)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry, I have to ask again. The Chronicle stated Jim was the last barber in town. Has Koski, "The 7th Avenue Clip Joint, quite business since I left town or is he, for some reason, not considered a barber?

(Message edited by frosted_flakes on January 07, 2009)

webman

Post Number: 806

Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure I am answering this correctly, but I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I believe Koski is still working, but he works out of his house on a somewhat irregular basis. I also think that he is not operating on a barber's license, since the rules of the State Board of Barber Examiners would require him to have an actual shop, not a barber chair in his living room. I think he may be operating under another sort of licensure, perhaps a beautician license, but I really don't know the technicalities of all the licensure issues. So yes, Jim would be the last barber, and certainly the last one with a Board licensed shop. If someone else has more info or can correct anything I have unintentionally misstated, please chime in.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, maybe that is why he calls it the clip joint and not a barber shop.

BTW, why do I see some people credited with the last post in a few threads and, when I open the thread, no post by them?

(Message edited by frosted_flakes on January 07, 2009)

torggy

Post Number: 1265

Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF, I had to move a couple posts and although the post moves it leaves the name up on the main page till someone else posts. Kind of a quirk in the system.

admin
Board Administrator

Post Number: 243

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/109144/

Sometimes I can be surprised.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 959

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad the paper makes you sign in to read articles.

Boy is Dean going to get ribbed now, it was bad enough before with just making the Chronicle!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1267

Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, made the big time. Gonna hit the national news next?

donthavacowman
Pro Poster
Username: donthavacowman

Post Number: 134

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed that the reader was left to assume that Jim first came to Two Harbors in 1964. He was lifelong resident of TH, as were both of his parents. No biggie. I thought it was a well written piece. Thanks Lake County News Chronicle!

spiderzero
Regular Poster
Username: spiderzero

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When is Forrest gonna wipe up after the coronation of the man-child orgasm? It's been over two weeks. Get over it. You won. Congrats, Karl.

And "Hoopsters" is getting a little annoying. They are Two Harbors Agates Basketball Players. Not "Hoopsters".

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1014

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

webman did you catch the picture on the front page of the Northland shopper? Just picked one up, and low and behold there is your dad again cutting Dean Willows hair. Still expecting to see this picture elsewhere! Nation maybe.

bassman

Post Number: 903

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read the July 9th Internet edition of the Chronicle and there was a story there that really caught my eye.

A Tale of Two Harbors

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/18602/

It stated in the article: "DVDs were made of each yearís production, and will again be available this year.

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me who to contact to get the three DVDs of A Tale of Two Harbors.

TIA,

Bassman Jack

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try the Lake County Historical Society?
http://www.lakecountyhistoricalsociety.org/contact/

bassman

Post Number: 904

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Todd. I sent them an e-mail.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read with interest the last year or two of comments about the Chronicle. I'm sure many events got underreported over the years. But there is some responsibility for citizens to report to the editor when these things happen. An editor in a county newspaper will usually print any story that is factual and has some relevance to even a small constituancy.

To me, it seems that there is only one reporter left, young Matt. He's a good guy and will learn as time goes by. The management in Duluth is such a bunch of dopes that I doubt the paper will ever attract new readers with either good factual reporting, good business reporting, thorough community events reporting, or local news (GO MATT!) or thought provoking editorializing. The old paper did a lot of this if imperfectly, and while some folks hated the editorial "slant" at least it got them thinking. I don't much care if the editor has ADHD, or has trouble deciding whether to do laundry or go shopping.

AS for Jim my barber, he was the greatest - still is, just doesn't cut hair. But you can get a fine haircut here in town, I use Jackie.

No Forrest, no Monica. While Peggy is really good at what she does and is a wonderful person, the spirit of the 100 years of news reporting seems gone.

kayakqueen
Regular Poster
Username: kayakqueen

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get more disappointed each week with the Chronicle. This past weekend there was so much going on in town and no mention of any of it in this weeks paper. Not one word about the Kayak Festival! It's a shame. So much work went into it and it draws people from all over the country. You'd never know from the paper of local people who race in the kayak race. It's a free event and such fun. I used to look foreward to getting the paper each week, now I almost forget when its "Chronicle Day".

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No kidding, and the Viewpoint used to offer such a wide range of views, but nows its just the same flavor of righteousness, week after week after week.

kayakqueen
Regular Poster
Username: kayakqueen

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want Forrest back !!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The new owners do not care about what you want. They just want you to have whatever they think the paper should be. Our tastes are not taken into account. Our wants are unimportant.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, what would it take, to get another paper here?

A list of potential advertisers, a decent sales staff, someone who can run the software which puts a paper together, a couple of reporters with computers that can connect to the main newspaper computer, and a way of getting the paper to the readers. Don't need an actual building and press and darkroom, any more. Three or maybe four home offices would suffice.

And a name. Gotta have a name for the paper. A business plan, too, of course.

tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 525

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sign me up.

How about the "Northshore News".
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 880

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Call Charlie - he has the software...there does need to be investors, however. It may not profit in the beginning if there is a period of time where the new paper overlapped with the old paper. Who will jump over? Will they if they know it's all locally run? Maybe. There would need to be some serious inquiries made prior to plunging in, I would think. I believe a new, local one could make it with the right backup.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Legal notices from the city and county probably finance a lot of the paper.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In conversation with someone, I learned that in order for a paper to be eligible for consideration as an official newspaper, it has to publish for a year, first. There also has to be an official business address that is principally a business-use address. That could probably still be a spare room in someone's house, if that room were principally used for business. Anybody around here got one of those?

Finding a printing contractor is another issue, as the only serious printer in the general area right now is the Duluth News Trib. Advertisers will prefer color over black and white, but what they really want is eyeballs. If a paper has the circulation, the rest will follow.

Salaries, postage, printing, office rent, insurance...

look at the Northland Reader - free paper, tabloid size, lots of pages, mostly advertising in order to pay the freight, but lots to read, also. Something similar could be done, only with news in it.

Yeah, the legal advertising pays a *lot* of money to the Chronny, and it would take a year or more, to get eligible for that money.

There's gotta be a sit-down with folks from different parts of the county, to put this together. That will take someone who can organize things. Anyone there?

tom koehler

themaskedfan
Rookie Poster
Username: themaskedfan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start up the Press, lets GO!

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 881

Posted on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I miss Frankensledder and the truly odd gang at the shack!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it is Friday the 28th of August. Thought I'd check in with the online version of the Chronny, and see what news they have missed this week. Well, imagine my surprise... there ain't any online edition that I can find. Repeated attempts to get to the online edition resulted in 404 responses, and a nice page of the Weather Underground, instead. I even went to the Forum Publications homepage and tried to link through that site. There were several article heads with links to the articles, but when I tried them the result was still the same. zip, nada, bupkis, zero.

Wha' hoppen?

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1270

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom try again, I just pulled it up.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, I don't get it. I've tried six different ways to get the Chronny website, and it just won't fly. uffda.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, I tried again. Used links from several different websites. Of course, they all say the same thing in the address, but they kept sending me to the Weather Underground site. Then finally I hit another website that had a link to the Chron, and it worked. Don't know why I get so worked up about it, there's little there to read. No mention at all of the fair, and precious little about the block party. Some guy got stabbed and there is no mention of that, either.uffda.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1271

Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom I have had that happen also trying to get too links, don't know why really, but sometimes clearing your cache out helps. At least that is what I was told to do, and it did seem to help.
The Chronicle was pretty short on news this time, lots of big advertisements though to fill up the pages.
Wish they would start covering the events that go on here better than they have. There used to be all kinds of photo's from the events and a nice write up.

pink
Pro Poster
Username: pink

Post Number: 142

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told this morning from her brother that Martha was fired from the chrony last Friday....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1298

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh for cripes sakes, this is getting too much. Now what was their reason for this???? There won't be a paper here pretty soon, but then who cares, the reading isn't that good anyway. Coverage of things has gotten poor.
TOO BAD THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY!!

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the consensus up that way on folks renewing for next time...I've talked to a half dozen or so here in the cities and no one has any interest in keeping it.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 695
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a subscription due this month. The paper was always nice to have when I go South for the Winter, but now; Who cares? This new ownership has just turned a nice little paper into a rag. I think the only thing they are interested in is the money they get from the county and city. And that stupid shopper they send to every home each week. How do I get it through to them that I do not want them to leave it at my house?

Yes, I heard that Martha was let go. I don't know why. Maybe she voiced her opinion about the new way of doing things. Martha speaks her mind. LOL.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 529

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A one page shopper does not constitute a shopper. It is nothing more than a listing of business advertisements. It usually comes along with a sale paper from Pamida, Menards, and Super One. Which I find more interesting than the Northland Shopper. You get it just for having a mailbox.

I think I have bought one paper since the take over. I was duly unimpressed, and haven't bought one since.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1299

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shopper, that is really a joke. We have gotten to the point we don't care if we get it or not, why...the kids can't even bother to walk up and put it on the stairs, just throw it at the end of the walkway most times,plus there is nothing to read in it. It used to have lots of stuff in it, was more worth the walk if it was thrown at the end of the walkway. I watched a few weeks ago, none of the neighbors bothered to go pick it up, they probably figured like I did, why bother even!

Next year, we will not renew the Chronicle that is for sure.

The Grand Marais paper sure has alot to read, but theirs is locally owned.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was on 1st Avenue so I walked up to the paper office and talked with a nice young man there. He is in some sales position there. He said that they would stop delivering the shopper to my house. We will see. Probably stop for a short time and then a new kid would be delivering and it will start up again. Nice kid though. I asked him if he knew how upset people were with the paper. He did. I told him that many would not renew. He knew that. What are you going to say? They know we are unhappy but too bad.
By the way, there was no one manning the front office when I went in there.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard Martha was informed about 3:00 in the afternoon that that day was her last day.

phil_hellmuth
Pro Poster
Username: phil_hellmuth

Post Number: 114

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone at the chrony who was there a year ago has now either left or been fired. All except one person. David Lukkannen.

Makes you wonder...

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 530

Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They have an ad for inside sales classified advertising.

http://www.forumcomm.com/employment/

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might apply for that job, they almost hired me for the current sales job.

Oh wait - I was fired myself for "economic reasons" after a 3 month stint with Forrest, Monica and Martha when Tim Hunt got a real job and they needed a graphics person. I sure could beef up sales from the inside, but I'd rather do it for a "newspaper".

I saw Martha the day after she got canned, and she was beaming from ear to ear. There are some great newspaper people floating around up here.

Would you buy an alternative paper for a buck?

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 531

Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean a newspaper that had some thoughtful, current, complete news? YES!

Even the online version of the Chronicle is lacking. I find the comments to the articles more interesting than the articles themselves. Of course, those comments never make the print version.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd go for it, if it is not owned by some large conglomerate. Do it, charlie.
tom koehler

themaskedfan
Regular Poster
Username: themaskedfan

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas, Forum Communications = 30 plus publications, daily and weekly.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yup, 30-plus publications, and Forum controls to some degree what is published.
A locally owned paper would be limited by its budget, not by its outstate owners.
If a local go-getter is willing to try doing a local paper, I'm all for it.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put me down for a yearly subscription.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 657

Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

me too!!! If we have a real local newspaper that I can look in and see people I know and read about things happening in my town and read about the things my kids are doing or my neighbors are volunteering for, etc. I'M ALL FOR IT!!!

Where was the coverage of the Kayak Festival? Or the first day of school? Or why didn't we know about those train folks coming into TH? We could have put on a much friendly face if we had had some warning.

I used to count on the paper to keep me informed of stuff going on. I used to be able to clip out things that were important to us. There isn't anything in there now. Ads. Mostly ads. Not much local is covered. What does anyone there know about OUR town anyway? Obviously not where to find the heartbeat.

Sign me up. Really. And I'll even get an extra 2 subscriptions for out-of-town family that would enjoy a real TH/Lake County newspaper again.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggested to the Chronny 5 weeks ago that they do a story on the recent $4350 fine levied against a Two Harbors developer for stormwater permit violations (8 of them) that have been, and risked polluting the lake. I provided the link that verified the story and it also had a phone number to call for more info. Easy story. The PCA welcomes news editors inquiries to localize these stories.
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/newscenter/enforcement.html
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/newscenter/qs-2-09.pdf
The developer is Jensen-Re Partnership, which is Superior Shores, or Bluewaters on Burlington Bay.
As Tom noted, the Chronicle can and does control content, and a story like this would probably be way too inconvenient to publish, regardless of the facts. The Chronicle's new editor is the past (and maybe present) executuive director of the Cable Wisconsin Chamber of Commerce http://www.birkie.com/?page=1028&news_id=173 and thus I would expect no mention of any issue that would reflect negatively on a local business in any way.
I will support a new paper in town...run by, written by locals.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 658

Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a photo club at the high school. Maybe part of their club activities would be to be around town taking photos of people and events. It would gain them some experience and they wouldn't have to be on anyone's payroll. Free photo-journalism.

There could be volunteer reporters from all kinds of areas in town. The school could submit an article about the activities happening at school. I'm guessing there would be a student or several that would find that an interesting assignment. Sunrise on Superior might have a budding journalist there that would welcome the chance to submit an article on life for seniors. Businesses could have a column to brag up employees. Free reporters.

Just things rolling around in my head that wanted out.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The local HS used to have a page in the Chronicle when I was a pup. It was called; "The Harbor Beacon." Every student read it.
On a side note; On the front page of the "Trib" today was a story about Jay Leno's new show. Forum Communications thinks this is front page news? Page three, if you would ask me.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one were to study the articles in the Duluth paper, you would notice that precious few of the things published are actually "news". Puff pieces on entertainment items, gossipy feelgood stuff, and large pictures of puppydogs and puffy dandelions (actually it was a goatsbeard flower gone to seed, but I digress) are the chief stuff of the paper lately. Actual news about the various wars or the President or the Congress or the shenanigans of the major banking houses are too often a small blurb on page 2 or 3 (if there are as many as 3 pages of news.) There is next to nothing about what is going on in the rest of the country, but there seems to be every possible detail about anything involving any kind of ball. feh.
tom koehler

jackburton
Regular Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The way things stand now, I have left print newspapers behind for good. The interent allows a person to get news that isn't filtered by the newspaper owners. Take your pick of the world's newspapers and alternate media on the net. Simply by reading the alterenate economic bloggers on the net. I was well aware the whole fiancial system was going to collapse. So I not only got different news sources, I saved all my investments as well.
Newspapers were a big part of my life since being a kid, but those days are over, long gone.
The trouble with local papers and the poor reporter who wants to find the local news and print it is that any attempt to do that will get you in deep trouble. Small towns and rural areas thrive on secrecy and nepotism. One reporter years ago tried to tell the story of how local social services officers enjoyed expensive so called conferences at nice resorts at taxpayer expensive. He was fired! So there is the lesson eh?

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you Mr. Jack but I still like to hold the hard copy in my hands...I get two papers a day and will continue to until they go belly up.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack makes a good point, the web is what people run to today. The old Chronny took the time, with diminishing staff and finances, to deal with the world on a weekly basis. A paper will never compete with instant web and blog type news.

The point of a paper is to give a longer term view where there has been time to verify the news. A lot of the new media just pukes it out there with no regard for fact checking. If a group of local people could take a week to sort through local issues, maybe add a little world news just for context (and this might really piss some people off if it was not based on "American Exceptionalism"), and go back to some local sports reporting, church activities, business news from our area like how is the mining and shipping thing going? we might have the kind of paper that the "old Chronny" gave us in it's "50 years ago and 100 yrs ago" section. This neighborhood has a lot of history, and it is informative to look back and see what we were doing in 1909 and 1949.

If the local business community wants a paper that has a lot of locals reading it, they should be happy if it creates a little controversy. Then people buy it and see your ads.

Just sayin . . ..

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y'know, there was an ad in the Duluth paper today, for an editor for the Chronicle.
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 532

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's on the Forum web site also
http://www.jobshq.com/search/?page=title&id=1041&company_id=34

phil_hellmuth
Pro Poster
Username: phil_hellmuth

Post Number: 115

Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just told Holly Henry has left the chrony as the editor on her own accord.

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you blame her? How would any one like walking into a job as a stranger after the owners got rid of a long time local person. Many in this town turned their backs, canceled their subscriptions and never gave the new editor a chance to show what she could do. I am not happy about Forrest going but we should have given the new editor a chance. If it turned out that content was corporate controlled then you would be justified in canceling your subscription.

(Message edited by nightrider on September 17, 2009)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 701
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Give the new editor a chance"? The paper is a complete joke.
"If it turned out that content was corporate controlled"? What planet are you from? Just look at what they have done to the Duluth Tribune. What has happened to the Chronicle is not a one time thing. The new owner's fingerprints are all over it. They do not care what kind of paper the readers may want. You will read what is provided or you can go fish.

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not defending what the paper is today and I do not read the Duluth Tribune so I do not know first hand what they have done to it. I guess my point is how many people went to the paper within the first week after Forrest was gone and canceled their subscription because of what they did to Forrest and not because of the change in content. I will say that if they continue to control the content of the paper many more people will stop buying it.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never, in my wildest dreams, thought anything like this would happen to the local paper. It is a rag, pure and simple.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something else is going on. Several days ago, I remarked how I would try to go to the Chronny website... and end up on the Weather Underground site instead. Well, this has been happening on and off ever since then. I have tried different browsers and different computers in this house. No good. I have spoken with a techie at the computer host site where the online Chronny lives. He can't do anything without a work order from the Chronicle. I talked with a tech at Frontiernet, my service provider. We killed a chicken and shook the bones, and then I watched him move the cursor around my screen from his office wherever it is. He then told me to make setting changes on my router. No good.

Just for snickers and grins, just go to the Chronny website once in awhile, just to see if you can. If you end up at the Weather Underground site, wouldja let me know, please?

I'm thinking that most of the time you will succeed, but once in awhile you might not. Those are the times I'm interested in. Thanks.

tom koehler

twoz
Pro Poster
Username: twoz

Post Number: 388

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TOM,

I GO IN THERE ONCE A WEEK AND NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 621

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

I dont have any problem with the site either.
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 533

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, I would say that the problem is probably in your computer. The first thing I would ask is 1) does this ever happen on a fresh start up? If it only happens after running the computer for a while, perhaps there is something in the cache memory that is not getting cleared out. 2) If you are accessing the Chronicle from a saved favorites list, double check that the IP address has not been corrupted.

I have not had any similar problems.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel sorry for Holly. She will be better off for having walked away from the DNT.

Robin Washington? Good luck, maybe you have the personality to survive this mess. As long as Karwath and his ilk are making decisions, no paper will work. When the going gets tough, you don't want guys like that driving the car. My special best wishes to Peggy - you know who you are . . .

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 534

Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it odd, but I received a flyer in the mail today from Dultuh News, wanting me to subscribe. I have never received an invitation before. I would think that the Duluth paper wants us all to subscribe to their news, and they would discontinue the Lake County Chrnoicle all together. Sorry, the Duluth News is like a million miles from here, when it come to local news. About the only thing they cover up here are the bad things.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus the paper stinks. I have read the "Letter from the Editor" by Rob Karwath until I just couldn't lay out the money for that horrible paper anymore (Aug. 9th). The last straw was his goofy column claiming that they were going to put all the various "sections" back in their proper places so readers could find the part of the paper they cared about really fast. This was, of course, in the Opinion Section.

Then I turned the page and found 5 world news stories that I had searched the A section for and found nothing, and just kind of gave up any hope that the DNT was going to continue as a newspaper. But there it was, 5 important world news stories, in the back of the Opinion section, and I double checked to see if there was any reference in the A or Opinion section saying "more world news in the back of the opinion section". Nope.

As usual, nice work Rob. I don't believe a word that comes out of your mouth, or that you have any idea about making a newspaper.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aug 9th - wrong date. I must have pitched that paper, and had another one from Aug 9th about the similarities between covering the impending doom of the Hell's Angels visit and the Extreme Makeover TV Show. That was another really fine Karwath piece - opps, I just puked.

But Aug 9th was the wrong date for the previous post, sorry.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOTR..I have had the same sort of problem as Tom, not same paper, but another small town paper. Not long ago, I clicked on the link in favorites, and was shocked at what came up. I cleared out my cache, restarted computer, and still when I clicked on that link that bad site came up.
I have done every scan possible, and all come up clean.
How does one go about double checking if the IP address has been corrupted?
I called the paper even, and they had changed their link, and gave me their new one, and that one is fine. It is the old link that somehow got changed!

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 535

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have these sites saved in your favorites list, open the list and right click on the site name, then select properties. That should show you the IP address. Check to see if it is the right address, if not, delete the favorite and try searching for the website manually, then resave it to your favorites list once you find it. This is for a PC, if you have a Mac, I can't speak to that.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOTR... what do you have for an IP address for the Chronny?
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 536

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh you mean the URL. I was looking for the IP address, and all I saw was the URL. Actually if you hover over the website, it shows the URL also.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An IP address and a URL are two different things. The URL is what we usually see, and usually starts with www. so, www.twoharborsmn.com is the url for the chronny. The URL is also called the domain name. It is not the IP address, though. the IP address will be a group of four sets of digits, separated by periods.
so, do you have an IP address for the Chronny?
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 537

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mistake, I got my terms mixed up. I am old enough now that I can call it a senior moment. Just replace my references to IP address with URL.

If the URL on your PC is correct, then I am not sure where to look next. The URL twoharborsmn.com is registered with Godaddy.com by Forum Communications. Forum's internet access is provided by i29.net, which Forum owns as well.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1304

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, we all have senior moments, no problem. I thought I was doing something wrong, darn wish I could find the IP address of that fake newspaper site though. I don't have it in my favorites anymore, but I googled again yesterday, and low and behold it is still out there.

Several years ago I was getting some nasty mails and some had a virus in them. I was relentess on this, and kept after the provider of these mails, and finally they stopped. Through the headers on the mail, I was able to get the IP address and much more,(from the IP address I then found who the provider was)} which I then sent to the provider and kept sending until they finally did something.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1305

Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, I just found this, and put in the chronicle and the IP came up!
Try it.
http://www.whatsmyip.org/whois/

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the link, blondie. Pretty neat. There are a lot of neat search utilities on this site, kinda like having your own reverse lookup directory.
Here is what I found... the IP address I came up with - a couple of them, actually, led to nowhere. I then used one of the other searches on the link site, and came up with akmai, which is a major website hosting company, which is the host for all the Forum Company publications. There will be a huge bank of modems to connect to, each with its own IP address. If one of us connects to a website - like the Chronicle or the Duluth paper, the akmai server hooks up to whichever modem is convenient, and we could conceivably get a different modem - and a different IP address each time.

Frontiernet is like that, too.

Somewhere inside these large computer communication service companies is a routing computer which makes the necessary hookups so that the right connection is made... and it apparently misfires sometimes.
tom koehler

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holy cow. Lets have an internet based news system for seniors, only the physicists will be able to use it.

We now have Robin Washington, a guy with some credentials, since Holly figured out what she was really being asked to do - in spite of her early editorials about how her true love was community newspapers. She got over that in a big hurry working for this group.

Robin has some Cred, I wonder how long he'll be the interim guy working the the B squad.

Again, does anyone really want a local newspaper?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration