Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * City issues part three < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A group of people were looking over the lot West of Culvers this after-noon. There was a St. Louis County truck there. What could that be about? Are they looking for a a start to a road behind the grave yard? Site for the new visitor information center they are going to build West of town? Why would a Representative from St. Louis County be up here looking at property?
The worm has turned, but it looks the same on both ends.

southy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We'll be the last to know frosted.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a City Counsel meeting tonight? Something is going on.
Is the counsel talking about that road to First Avenue again?

I saw that there is another revitalization of down town again. We have to go through this cycle every ten years or so. I hope the City Counsel does not get involved with this. Any tax or grant money they use there could be used by the town as a whole. I do not know about some of these business owners. If they want to be where the people are, they should have put their business on Seventh, and if they want to be by the lake where the people are, they should have opened their business in Grand Marais.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 400
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Willard Clark had a letter to the editor in the last Chronny about the damn bridge that refuses to die... where they build a diversion or extension or bypass - whatever you want to call it, from the expressway, straight to first avenue. Of course, this will require a bridge over the railyard, plus some quarter-mile long ramps in order to get up to and down from the bridge. The Federal funds will require about 20% matching from the city and county, plus then we'd have to build something to get the extra traffic *back* to hwy 61 again. Plus, the merchants on 7th Avenue will not be pleased about the thought of losing a significant amount of traffic and potential customers. This bridge is a solution looking for a problem.

I do not know if this is what the St. Louis County people were here for or not.

tom koehler

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 865

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everything has been considered and discarded so many times with the downtown revitalization and the to and from traffic flow. I wish them continued good luck with plans - maybe this time's the charm.
I heard there was grant money to remodel the alley side of businesses toward the lake into the appearance of "fronts" of buildings. Maybe that would generate more talk and more visitors to come downtown to see what's in those neat looking buildings...marina people someday will appreciate it too. It looks hopeful downtown, actually. There's been remodelling of homes down there and it helps the whole area look more inviting.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is that saying about; "if the mountain will not come to Mohamed?" When the "Dream Team" was in town, the plan for getting the traffic out of town was to use the Park Road. Ruin one more peaceful park area with more traffic. But wait. There would be traffic on that down town road for 2 years and then everyone from the Twin Cities will know where it goes and just keep going straight through on Seventh.
Some seem to think that the new marina will be a God send. They should ask the people in Knife River how much they see of the boat owners. From what I have heard, Nothing. How about the boat ramp? If they charged parking for the trailers there would be some revenue there. You seldom see any of those boat trailers parked at any business in town. I can honestly say I never have.

southy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Though I favor a Marina in TH, I agree with you Frosted. Knife River and Silver Bay marina's are simply boat parking spaces, no economic impact at all. zero! Nice to have a place for folks to park boats , but that's about it.
If that bypass idea starts back to life, I'de guess someone has gotten their hands on Federal stimulus money as part of the Obama bailout of the economy. Probably not a sensible use of taxpayer money, but when has that stopped anyone! We do need sewers and new streets all over TH, that might be a better use of Stimulus money???????

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1174

Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our streets are terrible and getting worse, one pot hole on top of another, filling doesn't do the trick, we need new black top and a good base. Sidewalks same thing, bad shape.

We know they are bad, but I happened to go into Google Maps yesterday on the high school site, and put in my own address, and did the street view. I know it is bad, but looking at the street view our streets really look bad and sidwalks, they really looked bad! Try that map sometime, and do the streetview around town.

I for one don't see an advantage of that road at all.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 866

Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think if they put 4th St all the way through, that would be a good way to get to and from downtown...What a view from the top of that hill!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, going to Duluth this late after-noon, I saw a St. Louis County truck going back to Duluth from TH. But I also passed a Union Pacific hi rail leaving TH. Why would a Union Pacific vehicle be in this area? Is UP part of CN?

southy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the Coal Cars belong to UP. They are laid up due to lack of coal demand at power plants. The North Shore Railway tracks are unused this time of year and they needed a place to park them. So if UP was up to check on them that would explain it.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good eye, Southy.

southy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked the interactive transportation stimulus spending map. By county, Lake County is listed as getting $130,000 for transportation projects. Cook County got $20,000 for transportation projects.
Lake County Unemployment is listed at 9.2%, Cook County is about the same. Our population hovers just over 10,000 people, Cook County just over 5,000 people.

St. Louis County is getting well over $40,000,000 for tansportation projects.

interesting to see these figures, I expect Lake County unemployment is more like 15% minimum right now, pobably higher!

kayakqueen
Regular Poster
Username: kayakqueen

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I agree with you on the potholes. I came across the new section of 9th Ave this a.m. and was surprised how wavey that is getting already and that is fairly new. I'm pretty sure you could loose a small car in the potholes in the alley behind our house. Thankfully, I don't have to drive on it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1175

Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, isn't that something on 9th there. It has been like that for a couple years now, but getting worse. One can get sea sick driving on it!!!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed that on Ninth too. So much money was spent on this section of street to do it right and it is wrong. This was supposed to be top of the line street repair. Bet me.

A Hole On Every Street
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't that just like government to start another new project, but to hell with the streets, alley, sewers, etc.

What a joke, on us.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1179

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just curious. Had lunch down at the Waterfront today, and I noted a "Bus Stop" sign right on the corner there by Dunnigan's. Never had noted that before, probably because I had never parked on that street.
Bus Stop for what buses? Arrowhead bus maybe? Any tour buses I see, just drive right through 7th, or some do make the loop, but never stop.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 606
Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There used to be a sign on 7th Street below 1st Avenue for the "blue bus." Only in TH would there be a bus sign for a sometimes bus.

Informer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad why do you not put in anything which is the truth about the antics of what the mayor does it is the true facts

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Informer, if you have something that you think needs to be posted, but is being deleted before it even appears, why don't you register?
That way, your post would go on instantly, and not go through the filter.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 268

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in '99 when I started this whole thing, I never figured it was going to lead to anything much. I certainly never thought it was going to end up sometimes putting me between a rock and a hard place when it came to posts of a controversial nature. I don't like getting emails or phone calls from people (on either side of an issue) complaining about what gets posted on this site. I should probably develop a thicker skin about some of it.

If people want to post positive or negative comments about the mayor, or any other public figures, I almost always approve the posts, as long as they are respectful. Those that are disrespectful or needlessly inflammatory are not usually approved.

I like Randy - I voted for him, and I am happy with what he is doing as mayor. Others may have a different opinion, and that's fine. I think that public figures, such as the mayor, city councilors, county commissioners, etc. know when they decide to run for office, that they are signing up for some public scrutiny and public comment on their performance. That is how it is supposed to be.

Having said all that, I do think that Randy, or any of our other elected folks would much rather hear from each of us as individuals or groups about our concerns or complaints, than to have people stirring the pot in a public forum such as this one. For example, if people have issues with street, alley, sidewalk maintenance, it would be much more effective to call the mayor or your councilperson or gather a few neighbors and friends and then present your case as real people with real names, rather than to post those complaints here, where few people disclose their names.

Sometimes when I read posts, I want to ask the posters if they have bothered to do anything but complain (or compliment) anonymously here. Again, talk to elected officials. Complain to them, compliment them, just shoot the breeze with them. You still may not get the answer you wanted, but maybe you will come to a better understanding, and you will surely gain some respect in the process.

Brad Alm
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

Informer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

isn't beano a pill you can take for severe gas problems???

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff, it might be the case that informer has no truth, no facts, and no courage except for gossip, sneak attacks, and backbiting.
tom koehler

pink
Pro Poster
Username: pink

Post Number: 135

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1180

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too like Randy, as he is very approachable, and listens to what you have to say and I have thanked him for that. It is hard being in the public eye, as your never going to gain 100% popularity no matter what. There is always going to be someone out there that doesn't like what your doing.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Like Brad said, they know this when they take on this job.

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"it might be the case that informer has no truth, no facts, and no courage except for gossip, sneak attacks, and backbiting."

If that's the case I know exactly who the informer is!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Randy is an attractive man.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 269

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

u betcha! That's why I voted for him!
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

southy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

City issues may get interesting after the State Government settles on how to handle $1.2 billion in budget deficits right now and $4.2 billion over the next two years. Aid cuts to cities, schools and more taxes are all up on the agenda. State revenues from tax collections are way down, which means the problem is probably even worse than the legislature is dealing with right now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1232

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea where to put this, but seeing these planes are flying over the city, put it here.
What is with the yellow planes? I saw two for sure. After a dozen runs over our house, I gave up counting. I was outside once, and felt as if I could have touched the belly of the plane, it was so low!

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 513

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We got a flyer in the mail a week or so ago, something about treating for gypsy moths. I don't recall any specifics about how they would do it, but I would think they might spray with planes. Either that or some government, ours or someone elses, is trying to take over with a mind control substance.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1233

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that is out in the country not in town. We never got a flyer.
Still can hear them, but they are farther inland now.

Mind control substance...

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 514

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, they are out buzzing me now.

I will obey...

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/125333/

Gypsy moth spraying. I never got any notice though a family member from 2 miles out of town did. I saw them fly right over lakeview park this morning, though I didn't notice any kind of spray coming from the plane, although I wasn't looking for it.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 515

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just watched one of the planes with binoculars that went right over me, and I could see the cannisters on the wings, but could not see anything coming out. It could be a very fine mist of a spray, but with the wind blowing like it is, I wonder at the effectiveness. Actually, I believe it is very effective and I should know better than to doubt the masters. I believe, and will obey.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1234

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was outside as I said when one went right over, if they sprayed I got sprayed as well, but sure didn't see anything, nor feel anything.

Todd that is the same plane I saw. I can again hear them coming in closer.

(Message edited by Blondie on July 15, 2009)

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know there was at least two planes, and I agree hotr, with this wind, I wonder what they were accomplishing. They were going up and down the shoreline, and with the strong west wind, I think they were spraying more in the lake than anything. Maybe the spray works on aquatic invasives? LOL Unfortunately, the shipping industry, DNR and PCA have known of aquatic invasives coming here through ballast water discharges for more than 30 years, but they have yet to lift a finger against that. Did ya hear Pike Lake has some new resident zebra mussels? dang!

Only Duluth/Superior Harbor receives more infested ballast water than Agate Bay, in all the Great Lakes.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 617

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the planes you are referring to they have been flying over my house for 4 days. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22LSOyyeq_Q
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1235

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Four days, wonder if they are done now!!

I agree about the wind, can't see where this is going to be a positive thing...maybe that is why they were flying over and over?!!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too bad they didn't put a little lupine herbicide in with the moth spray. They are really spreading.
So we will be having another caterpillar, other than the army worm, eating our foliage?

twoz
Pro Poster
Username: twoz

Post Number: 364

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TAKE COVER MY LITTLE ARBLIETS!

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 875

Posted on Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The third day of low dive bombing my house I became annoyed and I flashed 'em. They came over a bunch of more times after at a 90 degree angle (for no apparent reason)other than the apparent anticipation of a mooning, which I did NOT do. BTW - thank you and stop the army tent worms any way you can! I didn't get the post card - or threw it away without looking at it. Well!??

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

with respect, littlehorse, maybe the pilot thought you were thanking him! (grin)
tom koehler

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 825

Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With such a response, I foresee many people annoying you in the future.

The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 876

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, those pilots were from far away - they won't be back here anyway!
Besides, no one else knows where I live or who I am...and I know few, no- only one pilot who would do that in real life. That reminds me, I need a new hose nozzle that shoots far.

pink
Pro Poster
Username: pink

Post Number: 136

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard that the city gave up their option on the VFW building and someone else has snapped it up. I heard there are rumors of a restaurant. Has anyone heard anything on this? My source isn't the best so.......

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1244

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also heard the city is not buying the VFW, but haven't heard anything other than that.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 366

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BY THE SILVERY MOON

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I drove down 7th the other day and perused 6th street a thought came into my mind. What will this look like when finished? We are a town of small, tree lined streets and avenues. How will this change the look of our city? Will the street be wider or the same as 7th street? Why did th street need to be widened? Over the years 7th street was always the main thoroughfare from 1st to 7th. Why was it demoted? Who is behind all this stuff? It seems that you just hear; "Plans are being made to redo 6th street." Who initiates these plans?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waterfront Drive, I believe, is a County State Aid Hwy (CSAH). So the county kind of runs things there.
As I understand it, the section from 4th to 3rd will widen 2 feet on each side.

The extension of Cty rd #2 down 4th St to 1st Ave is one the dumbest ideas I've heard of. I went to that public hearing, and every emergency service in town was there stating how quickly they could respond to the lakeside neighborhood if they could go through the old high school and not have that grueling one block detour. They might need it, as adding all that traffic to a quiet residential district, just might create a lot more traffic collisions to respond to.

And then, there are plans to redo and widen 8th st from Hwy 61 to 1st ave. The talk awhile back was to move the stoplights from 7th to 8th, thus demoting 7th st and the businesses there a little further. This too is a CSAH if I'm not mistaken.
Some of this might be in the comp plan http://www.ci.two-harbors.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={068EB256-31AE-4150-8FA7-AA96F0FC3FA0} though most city leaders don't give a hoot about silly documents like that.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel that I am losing my home town. I know I sound like a hum bug, but I feel that every change that has been made has been a step back wards. It seems it all, for me, started with the lose of the trees on 7th avenue to the lose of the skating rink and the fair grounds. Here we sit, land rich, and they feel that they must destroy to build. As if these things meant nothing to the local inhabitants. I, for one, stayed here because I like the town, not because I was looking forward to liking the town as it will be in the future. I was happy in the present.

(Message edited by frosted_flakes on August 18, 2009)

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 650

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

6th avenue should be the street that is being taken care of. One block off our main street and we have what is, for the most part, a dirt road made up mostly of deep potholes. That's where some of the $$ should be going as far as I'm concerned.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1262

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, 6th AVE along with the % of the streets and avenues in town need fixing. I wonder what it will take for the streets/sidewalks to be fixed. Sure enough people have complained to the city about it.

Seems I read once that trees would be cut down by the Bandshell, the ones that are in the boulevard, sounds like they are dying anyway. That sure will look bare, just like it did on 7th Ave.

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 82

Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What? No posts about the BLOCK PARTY??? Great party Randy some really good bands playing. I didn't make it to town until after 8 but I heard the Kids party at T.O. park was a huge success as well. Looking forward to making this a yearly event.

jackburton
Regular Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I don't read the paper. What is the city up to between the old Football Field and Burlington Bay? Years back they dumped red clay fill in there from some city project, now it looks like real solid fill is going in and being leveled off to make useful land. What's the plan for the area. Great place for condos! A hotel and restaurant maybe. Years back a hotel cpmpany wanted to buy that piece of land, they also slipped in that if they bought it, they would surely expect the city to hand over the beach too. It was only right they said, that the beach should belong to the hotel.
Any ideas what the plan is this time?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Campground expansion to accomodate more and bigger rigs. I think it will be 3 tiered.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1273

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Campground, they are adding pull through sites there from what I understand. Oops someone beat me to it!!

(Message edited by Blondie on September 01, 2009)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I already threw out the Chronicle? but I was wondering about something; In that article about the county and the city sending a wish list for money there was mention that one of the things the city wanted was a new way to get down town, but from 8th Avenue? What was that all about? Did they mean down 8th Street? And, why in the hell do they need another way to get down town? There already is 7th and 6th street. And when you get down town, there is nothing there anyway. I really shouldn't say there is nothing there because there is one or two stores that I am happy to have there, but, come on! You talk about Alaska getting Federal money to build a bridge to nowhere. What is this fixation on down town TH. It's gone people.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1296

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Two Harbors City Council and the Lake County Board met Monday to discuss a grant application they are working on together.

The two entities are both trying to secure a Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant that could be used for various transportation projects in the area.

A laundry list, created last week, that County Commissioner Brad Jones referred to as something like his 5-year-olds Christmas wish list, was added to at a council meeting.

We are not going to be greedy, City Councilor Mary Henjum Rosati said.

Among the projects added to the list is the almost complete rebuilding of Sixth and Ninth avenues.

One of the proposed major projects is one that would improve Highway 61 between Two Harbors and the Silver Creek Cliff Tunnel. The grant money could also go toward a Silver Creek project that would provide the area with city sewer and water.

Other items on the list currently include: a new road access to downtown Two Harbors from Highway 61 to Eighth Avenue which would be a connection for the marina; various improvements to the Safe Routes to School program; relocation of the welcome center and establishment of a trail center in Two Harbors on the west side of town and building a Northern Lights Express rail station and maintenance facility.

Some city councilors and commissioners are planning on going out to Washington D.C. in the coming weeks to visit with Rep. Jim Oberstar, along with other Minnesota politicians to discuss the TIGER grant application.

The paperwork for the grant, which would pay for 100 percent of a project, is due by Sept. 15.

Some councilors and commissioners have indicated the chances of getting the grant are relatively slim.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 694
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a new road access to downtown Two Harbors from Highway 61 to Eighth Avenue which would be a connection for the marina

That's got to be some kind of misprint.

I wonder if they are still talking about that road to down town that would go behind the grave yard. If they want to by pass the TH business district, 7th Avenue, why don't they go to the North of town?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, something is amiss there. I'd guess they are talking about coming over the tracks and connecting to Eighth Street, not avenue. Or else it is the other hair-brained idea of connecting downtown and the marina to 61 via 4th St. Both are crazy ideas in my opinion, (therefore, both are likely to occur).

A lot of the railroad bridge was discussed at the Tourism Resource Team meetings http://www.regionalpartnerships.umn.edu/public/TwoHarborsFinRpt.pdf though I don't see much of it in the final report.

By the way, the marina plans are posted at http://www.twoharborschamber.com/
Isn't that sad, that our city and our state are so poor at communication that the chamber posts the plan?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1297

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting read todd.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done, Todd! I've seen some of this material before, and it is interesting to see how dated some of it now is. Some changes in the last 3-4 years can put some of this in a different light. I realize that many of the proposals are just that -- proposals, and they are good to get the juices flowing and get people to thinking and talking.

Unfortunately, we here on this forum are the only ones who see this information. How do the rest of the people in the area see it? Where will they discuss it and think about it? The first sections of the Resource Team document talk about things that represent a significant change in the way that we think about these kinds of changes. The only way that can happen is through an educational or informational program for the entire community.

It will not be enough for just the city council and the Chamber of Commerce to make changes in their way of thinking. It has to be the whole community, because these things involve the whole community and will take commitment in resources - time and money - from the whole community.

I will admit that I have my own prejudices about some of the proposals in this first documant, but that is not the point right now. The point is, how will the whole community get brought up to speed on this?

I could probably do a couple of pages on complaints or objections or observations on some of the proposals, but maybe that would have to be a whole 'nother thread, in order to stay on topic, here. ?

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

III. Current R.J. Houle Center location:

Disadvantages:
Its a the wrong end of town.
By the time people get to it, they are through Two Harbors.
o Turning back against traffic to re-enter Two Harbors is dangerous, and
when the traffic is heavy, nearly impossible.

I found a lot of interesting things in the Chambers report, the above is one of them. Who put it there? Was it you? Now they have the center at Lester River in Duluth.
They had a visitors center out near where Mc Donald's is. Just had to move it though.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it noteworthy to follow this "proposed hotel on polluted site" story
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/2009_Aug_19/k.DUC.1250787337.html
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/129774/

The developers are Terry Anderson and Bob Maki. Mr. Maki is the business partner of the Two Harbors City Attorney, Steve Overom.
http://www.makiandoverom.com/

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Todd,

I read the article but I saw no reference to it being a "polluted site" where they were purposing to build the hotel.

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for kicks a week ago when I had some spare time I did an informal survey of the "for sale" houses in TH. I stayed east of the tracks and started on 13th ave and went down to south. I may have missed one or two, but I counted about 32 houses for sale just in that area. I don't remember that many even after Reserve shut down years ago. My guess is 32 is about 3 times what normal is. On my walk out by the new condos by the campground, I think there are three buildings, don't know the total numer of units. But on a Monday morning at peak tourist season I counted 11 cars in the three big parking lots, and three of those were cleaners and employees, because I know their cars.
I won't comment on the state of about 1/3 of the houses, but it ain't good.
Offered with no comment.. just an observation.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is likely that some of those houses are standing just from force of habit.

Take a squint at the brickwork on some of the buildings downtown.

tom koehler

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess by 1/3 of the houses I meant of all the houses in town. I understand we are considered a slum and blighted area. Or at least part of town is. There was a map at city hall showing the areas considered blighted and it was much of town south of 7th avenue. I won't argue with that, I'de only add a lot of 8th,9th and 10th to the area. Really, some place are pretty bad off. A lot of the 32 houses for sale are in pretty good shape, but have been on the market a long time. The North Shore is also full of "for sale" signs and some have been up for years.

road_weary
Rookie Poster
Username: road_weary

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read the articles that todd_r refered to and I am having trouble understanding the relevance to the city attorney. On the surface it almost appears as an attempt to connect the city attorney to something evil - development - because his legal firm business partner is trying to do some development in Duluth. There is no information in either article that links the city attorney to these developments. Just because they are business partners in the legal firm does not necessarily mean that they are business partners in the developments. If I missed something than I will stand corrected. Otherwise this looks like nothing more than an attempted smear at the city attorney.

jerry_n
Pro Poster
Username: jerry_n

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pink,

I need to talk to you about the City's extreme short-sightedness regarding the PD.... Not a happy constituent at all!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Over the years I have been hearing that the Cities' infrastructure is in poor shape, certainly our streets and sidewalks are, and the city is looking for stimulus money to build a road behind the cemetery into down town? What's going on? Do we have to get people into town in a hurry before the whole thing falls apart? Other than Chamber members, who is for that road? Not many I have talked to.

And that big parking lot the county is putting in? Whats with that? Do we need to spend so much money for a place to hold the Heritage Days car show? Next they will be tearing down the old Scan building to make a bigger lot for the welfare office.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parking lots. Lots of lots.

The old Scan is a neat old building and part of the town's history. It stopped operating as the Scan before i settled here, but I have heard enough stories to appreciate what the place meant to the town. I worked in that building when J&J lumber had it, and I worked there building pickup campers mostly, and helping as a laborer with the selling of lumber, too. I remember that the building had all the heat holding characteristics of a picnic basket, and was equally watertight in the basement.

I doubt that the recent owners put any money into improving the building, and adding insult to injury, they removed the marker at the top of the building that said when it was built. The outer shell is deteriorating rapidly, and I have no idea what the roof is like.

It is over 120 years old, and if it is not protected from further deterioration, it will soon go the same way as the old roundhouse.

I would not be shocked to learn of movement to do just what you propose. This section of town is becoming a core of government and social service infrastructure.

I am not advocating that this be done, but I am recognizing that it is a logical course of action.

tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am really steamed about the road that will not die. To build a new road to the downtown area, anywhere, from the hwy 61/expressway junction - will require that the new road cut across the railyard.

The new road will absolutely have to be either above the tracks or below them. The railroad will not be happy about either option for any of a dozen valid reasons. Further, this road will be so expensive that it would be cheaper to just pay each retail business on First Avenue a million bucks apiece to relocate to some other part of our business corridor.

It seems to me that if we build an additional road to get traffic into town, then we will have to build an additional new road to get traffic OUT of town - unless we are happy with the extra traffic going through the residential neighborhoods to get back to Hwy 61.

If significant traffic bypasses 7th Avenue, is there a possibility that the retail businesses on 7th Ave will be adversely affected?

If there won't really be that much traffic bypassing 7th Avenue, then why build the darn bypass in the first place?

If the goal is to make things easier for the anticipated boat and waterfront traffic, why not fix up 8th street and have it go through to 1st Avenue? This construction project would be much cheaper and easier, and get the job done.

tom koehler

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with those people who question this extension of scenic 61 from the freeway split directly onto 1st avenue. The time for that idea to die was years ago. Now,when our city has streets and sewers and sidewalks that are a disaster, is not the time for more hairbrained ideas to waste taxpayers money. Are we going to repair and maintain what we have or simply go back to outhouses, dirt streets and wooden sidewalks? Has anyone taken a walk through town lately, or drive the residential streets? Come off the money wasting ideas and lets use out tax money and state and Federal grants to repair the sewers, streets and sidealks we already have.
I understand one of the reasons streets are not fixed is because first the sewers underneath need replacement. I fully agree with the city not spending any money on fixing streets with bad sewers underneath. We need money to do both at the same time. So any money this city can get needs to go where the problems are.
Somebody please kill that stupid road extension. Who in their right mind would spend tax money on that.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1321

Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, stop that road extension, it is dumb. There is nothing downtown, and rather doubt the road will bring more business down there.

I see people walking in the streets all the time, myself at times, better than the sidewalks, and believe you me that isn't saying much.

One would think we were riding in a buggy across the prairie with all the humps and bumps and holes along the way on some of the streets!

derek_coda
Rookie Poster
Username: derek_coda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Frosted Flakes, just a couple of thoughts for you. That parking lot that they're woking on above Danny's is long overdue. The parking around the Court House/Social Service building/Danny's/Credit Union/Serco area is a mess, mostly because of all the employee parking for county workers. Also, I'm not sure if you were combining your thought from the first part of your post about the city's infrastructure with the parking lot/money being spent, but the lot is owned by the county, nothing to do with the city. And the car show comment?? REALLY???

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK coda. You seem to be in the know. Why didn't they build a parking lot on the empty lot west of the cop shop? Any fill could have been taken from the stuff they were digging up on Waterfront. All the machines were down there. Cost would have been minimal. Cop cars could go on that lot and parking freed up for people using the court house.

jerry_n
Pro Poster

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 06:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frosted... VERY good point!

derek_coda
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 07:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frosted - That would have worked too, just not sure if it would be big enough. I was just stating that some form of parking was needed in that area. You were the one making the wise comment of a bigger parking lot for a car show. I'm pretty sure if they were building it next to the "cop shop", thay you would have made the same point you did, just my opinon.
I think that the area to the west of the court house should be designated for the city and county squads, freeing up the parking up front. That way they're still close enough to get to in emergencies.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1323

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree about having that empty lot next to the enforcement center as parking for law enforcement vehicles, instead of on the street. It is hard to find parking by the courthouse.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 707
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You were the one making the wise comment of a bigger parking lot for a car show.
Suppose you tell me what that large parking lot is for. That space has been paved for years. When do you ever see cars there? As far as I can see, it is during Heritage Days. Are there enough people employed at the court house to fill that lot? Is it for people using the court house? Will the employees park on the far West end and leave the East end for people visiting the court house? But, really, where are all the cars to fill that lot going to come from?
I would have complained if they built a lot West of the cop shop? Wrong. Right now the cops take up half the parking in front of the court house. However, I may have something to say about bad planing when/if they do make that lot. I am saying they should have done it when they were down there making this lot. Or reduce this lot by the amount of space they would have gained by the cop shop parking lot. Then it would have been free.
Does the church get money for letting the court house use their lot? Will we be charging the church for Sunday parking?
What do you think of that, Paul?

derek_coda
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure if you're calling me Paul or directing your statements at Paul (whoever Paul is?!?!), but I still have to disagree with you on the use of that lot. Do you drive by that lot during the weekday?? That lot was pretty much full - east & west side with county employee vehicles, county motor pool vehicles, law enforcement vehicles, repossessed junkers, and when something is going on at the school ( I know because I've parked there for kids programs).

To say that lot has been paved is stretching it pretty thin. That lot looked like heck - half gravel, parts of some old pavement, and lots of cement posts coming up through it - an eye sore as far as I'm concerned.

I have no idea if the county and the church have anything worked out as far as money - interesting to find out though.
What do you think of that.......George?, Frank?, Henry!!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess I would be ticked if someone called me Paul too.

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheer up everyone, we are all going to get jobs at the new wind turbine manufacturing plant. Well, we are one of six sites under consideration. That's a polite way of saying the company is going to allow a bidding war amoung the sites to see who gives the most freebies to the company. But heck, I'de rather give away freebies to a real manufacturer than a huge condo project. We do unfortunately have few advantages over warm weather sites that are close to suppliers and markets. But it is worth a shot to try for it anyways. You can't win if you don't try.

mule
Pro Poster
Username: mule

Post Number: 145

Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the way it works out with the Emmanuel Lutheran parking lot behind the courthouse is the county plows that lot for free in exchange for being able to use the lot when there isn't anything going on at the church. When there are funerals or other during the week activities at the Emmanuel, the courthouse employees are notified not to park in the lot.

Calling the lot west of Emmanuel and north of Danny's "paved" is beyond a stretch. It was 80% gravel with a couple of concrete pads from the Benna days left over. It was a mess.

Paving the "green space" directly west of the LEC for sheriff/police squads to free up front parking is an excellent idea and has been on the burner for quite a while.
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." - Teddy Roosevelt

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1332

Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wondering why they didn't do the alley behind the bank, that is one of the worst alley's around. They did between 4th-3rd and 3rd-2nd, but left that one.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 885

Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why don't they (or just people in town) bring gravel and shovel it into the pot holes on some of these alleys? It wouldn't take that much, would it? Is it illegal to fix things for free? I'd think the city would freely give access to their gravel if it was going somewhere useful and needed. Yes, it's probably dangerous to stop there and shovel it out - or you take measures...so ya have to just do it a little at a time and then keep moving and let the next guy do their part. Or do it on really off hours when there's no traffic. Think how much could be accomplished if everyone with a truck did a little bit.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the problems with putting fill in a pothole is that the ground has a kind of "memory" to it, once a pothole has been established. Traffic will pound and vibrate the fill, and since the shape of the pothole is compacted into the ground - the "memory", the fill just gets shaken out. What ya gotta do is go at it with a pick for a few minutes and break up the packed shell of the pothole, and then fill it, rake it out and then compact the whole thing. A grader has a scarifier on it, just in front of the moldboard. The operator is supposed to drop the scarifier and stir things up a bit before going over the whole thing to smooth it out. Takes time and time is money, which we ain't got. It becomes a vicious circle, 'cause then the operator has to go over the pothole again when it comes back.
tom koehler

derek_coda
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Mary Rosati really say the comment published in the Chronicle yesterday?? The comment that their were 5 officers sitting there right now and nobody was being called out, has to be in the top 5 stupidest things I've read in our little hometown paper, and that's saying a lot!!! I'm not saying I'm for or against hiring an 8th officer, but a comment like that is as ignorant as they come. I wasn't at the meeting, and can only hope that she was kidding, but the way it was published, I really don't think she was!!

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 424

Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH PLEASE TELL ME THAT'S A MISS PRINT. PLEASE SOMEBODY. ANYBODY?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In an attempt to defend someone who has served the city's interests for so many years, maybe she had an entirely different idea in her mind when she said that, and it just came out wrong. Maybe there were other things said which could have clarified her meaning, and not published in the article. I will admit that the statement by itself, as published, is a bombshell.
tom koehler

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm for hiring an 8th officer if that person is tasked with handing out tickets to some of the 500+ cars and trucks in this town without mufflers. I've been around, and no place allows what we do on our streets. And yes, it is a law enforcement job to at least give a fix it ticket. In my day they let you drive around that way for a couple days and if you kept doing it they gave you a fix it ticket. Quality of life, that's what TH claims to sell.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the cops and sheriff dept are doing a great job. I only see one area that, I think, needs to be looked at. That is the large trucks entering our town from the East, West and North at well over 40 mph. If a truck gets to the stop lights at 4th and 7th and still needs to use the jake brake, he is going too fast. And if the light is with them, they will keep going at well over the limit. Sooner or later, someone else is going to get run over on 7th.
What happened to those "no jake brake" signs? Did they remove them?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, no one else has noted these large trucks barreling into town?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Semi-truck traffic is so heavy that it has become commonplace and therefore not noteworthy, any more. Also, it is probably not unusual that traffic in general is over the speed limit, so it is also not noteworthy that these trucks are over the speed limit. I know that I try to give them a wide berth and am always a bit goosey at intersections when I see trucks coming. I just assume they are speeding. I have seen them blow through stoplights, especially if the yellow light has just gone out. Enforcement has gotten too lax, and there are not enough cops to have one stationed permanently at the western end of town. Maybe we could have a speed camera set up. Other places have them. Get your picture automatically taken at a certain speed, and win a ticket in the mail.
tom koehler

jerry_n
Pro Poster

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres a head scratcher... they open 4th Avenue and 2nd Avenue to east west travel but keep 3rd avenue blocked???? With all the courthouse/social services business that goes on, you would think they would open 3rd avenue first.... its like a chinese fire drill in front of the courthouse... I guess they subscribed to the Forrest Gump line of thinking.. Stupid is as Stupid does!

jerry_n
Pro Poster

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got off the phone with a Road and Bridge employee, who advised me that the reason 3rd avenue isnt open yet is that the trees are being put in. Which makes sense. I humbly apologize and retract my Forrest Gump inference. Maybe I should take some of my own advice and seek answers before spouting off.

Bill, John and the rest of the crew.... I apologize.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been seeing folks in safety vests working on or around 7th avenue, lately. Sometimes holding a target gizmo for a transit, or holding an antenna unit for a serious gps surveying unit. I've seen various colored paint marks spritzed on the pavement or the sidewalk on parts of 7th ave. What's going on? What's happening or gonna happen?
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also saw about 6 or 8 tiny red buoys floating around the Burlington Bay area generally off the old power house. One or more had orange flags on them, and the rest were just bright orange/red cylindrical buoys, not very big. What's up with that?
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1383

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering the same thing, almost too late to start anything wouldn't you think? I am sure we will be hit with winter weather.
Today at the stoplight by the liquor store, there was a guy taking pictures all ways of the crossing area.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are usually herring nets off Lighthouse Point this time of year. Might that have been the red buoys you saw?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks todd. If that area is a usual place for netting herring, I guess that might be what the buoys are.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 485
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it is late in the year to start something on the roads, but not too late to start gathering information and marking stuff, and laying stuff out. I just wonder what it is that is being planned. I guess it is time to bug the Chronny editor. Curious people want to know.
tom koehler

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration