Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * Local fiber optic utility < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 410
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been away on a vacation trip for awhile, and now just back.
All I know about this issue is what I've seen in the Chronicle. More information is needed, so I am asking the readers here to chime in please. Pro and con, I don't care, it is all useful info, for an informed decision.

I know that copper phone lines don't have the bandwidth capacity that glass fiber has. That much was also in the paper. We are assured that the taxpayers won't be on the hook for this project, if it gets off the ground. That much was also in the paper.

1. Who will own and operate this utility?
2. How will subscribers to this utility connect to the outer world - will the new company simply connect to Frontier's own fiber optics network?
3. The physical distribution of the "cables" for this system will require some kind of franchise and right-of-way agreements from the cities and townships and counties that control or own the land under or over the cables - are there details on this?
4. If this system will take the place of existing landline telephone service, will there be new phone numbers, or can the "old" phone numbers be transferred to the new system?
5. The existing phone system here in Two Harbors (Frontier) already has fiber optic lines from Two Harbors to Duluth and Beyond. All that would be needed is fiber optic line from the house - or office building - to wherever it is in town where the rest of Frontier's fiber optics is. Has this been explored?

Please do not go looking for negativity in this particular posting, I'm just looking for answers and information. Personally, I am a believer in the value of state-of-the-art communications capabilities as part of our area's continued viability and growth.

tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 508

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back Tom, I missed your smiling font.

There is some information on the county web site that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.co.lake.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={3189F593-E715-4480-B21A-49F484C4BEDA}
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

nat_sherman
Pro Poster
Username: nat_sherman

Post Number: 297

Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a tech nut and enjoy high tech gagets and new technology. And I agree that communities with high speed communication can benefit from this technology.

One concern is the way it's being sold on the county web site as NO taxpayer money will be used to fund this project. I think this is an inaccurate statement bordering on misleading. Unless NO Lake County residents are paying Federal taxes, we the residents of Lake County will be paying for this project.

Another concern I have, is there a need for this project. It was my understanding that we already have fiberoptic service in the area coming from Frontier and sounds to me as Tom confimed that. If that is true, again I ask why do we need this project? The private sector is already doing the job of bringing the technology to the area.

I'm not against the project, but only question whether it is needed and the way the funding is being promoted as free money. If there is a real public need like the water tower project I could support the use of public money funding the project.

I and the other tax payers of Lake County need more information on the plan.

I, like Tom am not picking a fight just asking questions.
Magna est veritas, et praevalet

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 509

Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fiber that Frontier may have in the ground is probably not to each residence. More than likely, this is between switching centers, which would be the major population areas. My understanding of what the county will do, is provide the cable to the residence, then the various other vendors can connect to the counties hub for their services, such as TV, internet, and phone service. For a fee of course. Whether we are paying for this via county taxes or federal taxes is not an issue. We would pay for this one way or the other, the benefit being that we are getting it here, and not some other area of the state, or nation.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no serious objection to the application of tax money for a project like this, if it is to be a public utility, like power lines and water lines and gas mains.

Next, there is a kind of public utility, that is not really a public utility. The two most common that I can think of are our phone lines and cable tv lines. They are owned by private, for-profit companies and strung on public utility poles and public utility rights-of-way, with whatever franchise agreements are in place to permit this kind of partnership. I have no problem with this either, as the agreements are publicly available and periodically publicly reviewed and renewed. The phone and cable lines serve the public good for a reasonable and controlled fee.

If this fiber optic utility will be in competition with the various phone companies in the served communities, the agreements to set this thing up may get a little complicated, as the phone companies will get into the negotiations. Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing. It is something to be aware of, though.

I really would like our community to be 100% hooked up to a high speed broadband communication network. This connection would give us a leg up on those communities which lag behind in communication updating. There is no aspect of our life that is immune from communication, and anything that will improve communication efficiency will benefit our community. This change WILL come to the USA, and the communities last in line for this update will metaphorically be the runt of the litter, suckling on a dry teat.

I will admit that my personal and political views are at odds with some of the principal people involved in this pursuit, but my hat is off to them for working on this project and getting it going.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never have seen the wisdom of refusing federal monies because we pay for it in our taxes. To think this would make a difference is just not true. These monies would just be dispersed to a different area and we would still be paying. Would this service be deployed through out the City too? I am a little tired of money being given the county and none spent withing the limits of TH or SB. After all, we are county residents and taxpayers too. If our representatives wanted to do something for us, this would be something to look into changing.
The worm has turned, but it looks the same on both ends.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff: my understanding is that this project is intended to serve the whole area, including the city limits of T.H.
tom koehler

cptcorn
Regular Poster
Username: cptcorn

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the recent developments of Monticello, MN... They already have this system in place. There was also a noticeably large legal battle between the telco/cable companies in regards to it.

I'm 100% for it.

cptcorn
Regular Poster
Username: cptcorn

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also... FTTP or Fiber to the premise only consists of the fiber at the pole essentially. The connection between the tap and the house can be a variety of technologies, whether it be copper or fiber based. This is all based upon what sort of dmarc the third party or the county decides upon.

Good Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_home

The main point of this though is that it would be a public utility that has a solid future of a scalability.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration