Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * Golf Course Issues #2 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mags15
Rookie Poster
Username: mags15

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noticed the last thread was full. I would just like to make a point about the a comment made on Monday, July 27th, 2009 by petitcheval. My name is Erik Magnuson and i was the one driving the Kubota that day, i would like to inform you more of what happened.

I was driving the wrong way, yes, but in low gear (which goes 5 to 7 mph), but we all drive the wrong way to get from point A to point B as fast as possible to get our work done quicker so that we are out of the way of other golfers. You made the comment that there were two skid marks. There was not, only your skid marks that went about 6 feet (i went back and looked after there was such a big deal made about this). When i came around the corner i tried to make eye contact with the driver of the cart, he was not paying attention to the road he was looking at you, this is why i pulled off to the side and made no skid marks. You also made a complaint to our golf pro that your hand hurt? but you were able to finish your round.

I'm not saying all this just to say that i'm right and your wrong i'm saying this because we have lots of work to do there and we are doing our best to keep the golf course in the best condition, thats not always an easy task when we have to wait for golfers to play one after another and then we get people that make complaints about such little things.

I would also very much appreciate it if you would talk to me instead of everyone else. Thank You

Erik Magnuson

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 672
Posted on Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tried to make eye contact with the driver of the cart, he was not paying attention to the road he was looking at you,

Well, I can't blame him for that.
The worm has turned, but it looks the same on both ends.

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 878

Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erik, thanks for the explanation - I was in pain because I slammed my already injured fingers against the grab handle and it hurt like crazy, so I may have over reacted due to that. Hope you didn't get into too much trouble. You're not Rick and Barb's son, are you? If you are, I didn't recognize you or I probably would have said nothing and just tackled you instead! :-)

edie
Regular Poster
Username: edie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erik,

Keep up the good work. The golf course looks great this summer.

Don't mind the complainers.

mags15
Rookie Poster
Username: mags15

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes i am Rick and Barb's son, and thank you for understanding. so lets just forget about all of this and move on. Thank You

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

City workers have been spreading class 1 on the cart trails. Those that have been done are greatly improved. Thanks.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster
Username: lloyd_christmas

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, August 24, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I golfed the course for the first time this year with another TH alum and some of our buddies from the cities and I thought the course was great. On another note, we have to give thanks to Erwin who introduced us to a new way to golf. A boom box strapped to the front of the cart is the only way to go. Music, a few adult bevs and a beautiful day on the course in TH, can't get any better than that! Thanks Erwin and golf course staff. The course was great.

jerry_n
Pro Poster
Username: jerry_n

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So...Lloyd... what did you shoot? Jimmy Mac and I were out there Saturday afternoon and had a great time. Met up with Dave Stanko and Mark Gulan,up from the Cities, on the 9th tee. Actually, our cart was dying and they gave a push from the 17 fairway to the 9 tee and we hit in with them. Was a perfect day for golf...

twoz
Pro Poster
Username: twoz

Post Number: 373

Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LLOYD, DOES ERWIN GOLF?? I JUST CAN'T PICTURE THAT.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry lets just say it was over 100, I am a hack but I enjoy getting out on the golf course with the guys a few times a year for some laughs. We golfed on Fri afternoon. The sun had finally come out and it was quite wet, but we still had a great time. I love golfing in TH, the holes overlooking Lake Superior are amazing. Guly told me he was heading up for the weekend and heading to his favorite watering hole in the northland, it doesn't suprise me he was out on the course also. We golfed Black Bear on the way home Sunday. That is a beautiful course but a little narrow for my game, I left a number of golf balls in their woods.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ZZ yes I believe Erwin loves to golf. He even left work early on Fri to play because the sun finally came out. When we heard him and saw him coming with that boom box, we all lost it. Having music out on the course makes golfing even better for me. We are going to try and introduce it at one of the Mpls city courses that my buddies golf at every Fri afternoon.

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yep, ran into Jerry on the course haven't seen him in years...I never made it to Hugo's as the mailman wouldn't drive up there, we went downtown to the block party it was a good time.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry, but I have held this back long enough. What is the deal with that culvert system on 16? What in the hell is that all about? Where the old bridge was, the span was, about, 10 feet. A wood bridge could have been built there for under a thou. Or a steel bridge could have been fabricated and put in for under 3. Instead, Goodman went about this like a major road building project. A back hoe was sent in to dredge out a bunch of material and it was hauled away. Then a couple of large culverts were put in followed with large rocks across the span. Then a few truck loads of the old high school were hauled in. Then loam was hauled in for landscaping. County workers and equipment were there for more than a few days. This is a walking bridge. It is not for equipment or golf carts. How much could this have cost?

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point, that bridge is walkers only, but it looks like its designed for road use.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 375

Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LLOYD, I DID BLACK BEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST MONTH. I AGREE ON THE COURSE. I LOST MY DRIVE AROUND THE 4TH OF JULY. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT. VERY FRUSTRATING. SO WHEN I GOLFED BLACK BEAR I DONATED ABOUT 18 BALLS. LUCKY FOR ME I HAVE SINCE FOUND MY DRIVE AGAIN.

EVERY GOLF MINNESOTA NATIONAL?

P.S. I STILL CAN'T PICTURE ERWIN GOLFING.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ZZ Never golfed Minnesota National where is it? Every year about 8 of us head up to one of the guys cabin on the Whitefish chain north of Brainerd. There is a course up there called Golden Eagle. It is a beautiful wide open course which is what I need. It is my favorite course of all the courses I have golfed. It is reasonably priced for courses in the Brainerd area. I have a hard time paying $80-$100 bucks to golf. Check it out if you are ever in that area. I believe it is in an area called Fifty Lake or something like that. I was surprised also to learn he had picked up golfing but he told me he loves it.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 376

Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LLOYD, IT'S ABOUT AN HOUR NORTHEAST OF BRAINERD. THEY HAVE A WEBSITE. AWESOME COURSE. I'VE GOLFED A FEW IN BRAINERD AS WELL BUT NOT THAT ONE. ACTUALLY THAT'S WAY NORTH OF BRAINERD ISN'T IT? GRAND RAPIDS HAS SOME NICE ONES TOO.

I'M PICTURING ERWIN TO BE LIKE A RODNEY DANGERFIELD OUT THERE.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ZZ It is northeast of Brainerd, not far from Cross Lake. It is a ways from Brainerd but worth the drive if you are in the area. Another nice course just east of Pequot Lakes and west of Cross Lake is Whitefish. Bring a lot of balls if your drive goes bad again. That course is pretty narrow to. I usually leave a number of balls there also.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're in the Brainerd area go to Madden's West and see the old coach...I'm sure he'll get you a deal.

jerry_n
Pro Poster

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ZZ... Erwin is actually a pretty darn good golfer.. puts in a lot of time on the course.

I have golfed a few courses in the Brainerd Lakes area.. Breezy, Legacy.. The Pines... all good courses. If you get to the Alexandria area, Atikwa Golf Course is really nice.. not too narrow but a challenging course just the same.

Giants Ridge offers two real nice courses... Legends and The Quarry. I preferred the Legends as it was more scenic but the Quarry was great also. Relatively expensive though.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Minnesota National in McGregor. Cant wait to give it a go...

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 377

Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LLOYD, HAVEN'T DONE WHITEFISH BUT JERRY I HAVE DONE BREEZY, LEGACY AND THE QUARRY AT GIANTS RIDGE. I WANT TO TRY THE LEGENDS.

ACTUALLY MN NATIONAL AND GIANTS RIDGE HAVE A THING GOING THIS SUMMER, IF YOU GOLF ONE YOU GET A FREE PASS FOR 18 HOLES TO THE OTHER ONE. I'M NOT SURE WHEN IT ENDS.

MN NATIONAL ALSO HAS SOME PLAY AND STAY PACKAGES. PRETTY GOOD DEALS. IT IS A REALLY NICE COURSE BUT MAKE SURE YOU BRING LOTS OF BALLS. IT'S NOT NARROW, JUST VERY CHALLENGING.

IT'S ALMOST WORTH A DRIVE TO TWO HARBORS JUST TO SEE ERWIN GOLF.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lloyd, if you are on a course where you can lose a lot of balls, you also have an opportunity to take home a lot more orphaned balls.
Finding balls is one of the joys of life.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 377
Posted on Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone been to Superior National lately? I haven't been there in about 10 years, I remember it was nice though...also a ball eater.

cathy
Regular Poster
Username: cathy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry,
I played MN National on Tuesday for the first time - the condition of the course was terrific...I always have a hard time hitting on fairways that look like greens, but I actually forced myself to take some divots and when I hit it well, the ball ran a long way - I like that! Greens were fast and in very good shape - nice putting green and driving range, too. The roughs were pretty easy to hit out of, and you could even hit out of the trees in a few places if you needed to. The bunker sand looked really nice, but thankfully I didn't have to experience it.

Most holes were tight and some had carries over hazards that were a bit intimidating to me. The GPS in the carts was nice as several holes looked like they played longer or shorter than what the GPS told us, so the yardage really helped! Some of the sloped fairways were tricky, and you had to trust your yardage so you didn't put yourself in trouble. A few holes for the guys definitely required a fairway wood or iron off the tee.

We felt like we were all alone for about 6 holes and then we let a couple singles play through - on the back side we ended up waiting a bit on each hole, but overall pace of play was great.

The only downside was that a snake ran across my golf ball on a par-3 just as I was getting ready to hit my chip, I screamed like a girl..oh, wait, I am a girl!

Retail price is $75+ tax, but we had found 2 for 1 coupons, so that was great. I spent the difference and then some in the Pro Shop!

If you're going, make a day of it and play the Championship and Executive 9, too!

http://www.minnesotanationalgolfcourse.com/SearchResults/RESERVETEETIME/tabid/81 /Default.aspx

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention last week when I golfed TH. I have never seen so many abandoned divots on the greens in my life, I bet we fixed 3-6 divots on every green...what's so hard about cleaning up after yourself? complain about the cart paths? I'd worry about the damn greens.

jerry_n
Pro Poster

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 06:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Cathy...(dont tell anyone but if that snake would have crossed my path, I would have screamed like a girl too...I HATE SNAKES) lol...

Skipper.. you are SO right. We have been doing the same thing ALL summer long. Nate and the boys have done a grea job bringing this course back from being a hayfield, the least people can do is fix their divots.

Heres one other thought to ponder... the tee boxes on par 4's are beat to .(especially 18).. why are there so many divots when a tee is used... and why wouldnt you replace said divot. I dont get it!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 690
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seeing as how I complained about the cart paths I hope you are not implying I leave divots. Hell, I replace my divots in the fairways.
BTW, the cart paths have come along nicely. Still some places to be fixed, but a lot of improvement.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 379

Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CATHY, GONNA GOLF IT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND. WHICH PAR 3 DO I NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR.

ALSO, HOW MANY BALLS DID YOU LOSE ON THAT COURSE?

cathy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

twoz, the "snake hole" was the 3rd - I landed just over the water and the snake came right out of the weeds. Believe it or not, but I only lost 1 ball - on #10 - second shot right into the hazard - that hole was intimidating! But I'd take extra balls with me the next time we go.

I am impressed with the cart path improvements at Lakeview National - and I'm surprised too, with all the unreplaced divots in the fairways. If I see fresh ones I try to repair them. Repairing ball marks on the greens is just second nature to me now -

Jerry - the "forward tees" are are in good shape - ladies don't like to hit the ground like guys do!

I'm feeling bad about all the dollar spots on the greens - I guess it all sprouted to life on the humid days during PGA week. Hopefully we'll see some recovery.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would scream like a girl and run too, Jerry is not the only one afraid of snakes...on 17 there were 2 does and 2 fawns next to the maintenance shed just looking at as as we went by, I bet we were 15 feet away from them, pretty damn cool.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 380

Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CATHY, I'M VERY IMPRESSED YOU ONLY LOST ONE BALL ON THAT COURSE. I LOST ONE ON HOLE TEN OFF THE TEE. HIT IT ALITTLE TOO MUCH TO THE RIGHT AND IT GOT SUCKED DOWN INTO THE ROUGH ON THE CORNER.

I LOST MY DRIVE FOR AWHILE THIS SUMMER AND HAVE LOST ALOT OF BALLS ON ALOT OF DIFFRENT COURSES THIS YEAR.

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST SKIP HOLE #3 THIS WEEKEND.

cathy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TwoZ, I yanked my drive a little left on #10 and ended up in a perfect spot because of that huge slope. Don't skip #3, just hit one extra club - over the back of that green isn't bad! I hit fairway woods off of a couple tees because I wasn't sure of the landing areas and that kept me in play. Have a great time golfing this weekend!

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 381

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HEY THANKS.

SKIPPER, YOU DIDN'T GET ANY PICTURES OF THE DEER?

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ahhh, no...I'm not that prepared.

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 382

Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, LOL. ACTUALLY HAVE YOU EVER POSTED A PICTURE IN HERE?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This morning I hit one into the woods left, 150 from the green on 14. There was a doe and 2 fawns standing there and I could have spit on them as I got off the cart and went into the woods. No fear at all.
About the scabs on the tee boxes; I am thinking that a lot of them are from dragging the driver across the grass, so no divot to replace, or from toping the ball, also no divot. On 8 and 16 they have sand and a scoop for people to fix their divots. Not so on any of the other tees. Yes there are a lot of scabs, but you do not see many divots scattered about as you do on the par threes.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, we have no scanner and I have no idea how to post a picture...I thought the course was in pretty good shape, the young fella has really turned it around...my only complaint was with the individual golfer cleaning up after himself on the greens...

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 692
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that I found a small glacial erratic when I went into the woods on 14. Large as rocks go, but not an overly large erratic.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 383
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

erratic, huh...nothing resembling Lloyd's Titelist?

twoz
Pro Poster

Post Number: 383

Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SOUNDS KINKY TO ME.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration