Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * The TH Chronicle 2 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Washington is here partly because he has a history here. He is here partly because Someone has to be here. He is here until someone else is hired to take the job. He very likely has a full plate at the Duluth paper, and this is extra duty. Other editors here put in a full week plus overtime, in order to get a paper out, and that was with a full crew.

Mr. Washington is good at what he does, but even he can not do two full time jobs at the same time for very long.

Have you noticed that more and more Chronicle content is also appearing in the Trib, and vice-versa?

The small number of people left here are doing their best to put together a paper, but there are not enough human resources remaining to do a proper job, any more.

Newspaper subscriptions basically pay for delivery costs. Advertising pays the rest of the expenses and the profit for the owners. A newspaper's job is delivering eyeballs to the advertisers, and the only way a paper can do that is to provide something that readers want. Bringing actual news to the readers is almost incidental or accidental.

Charlie, you already know how I feel about a local paper with actual local news in it. I want it. The Chronicle is not delivering it. If I want to know what is going on in this area, I have to go out and talk to folks and snoop around, and there is only so much ground I can cover, and still do the stuff that I would otherwise be doing.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1306

Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Tom on having a local paper, but it has to have more local news in it than what we have been getting. I want to read what is going on here in our town.

But again, the turn of events is not the papers fault and I am sure the ones working there are trying their best, lets put the blame where it belongs, the owners.

I can only imagine with running a paper the flack they get from people!

charlie_t
Pro Poster
Username: charlie_t

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thoughts Tom, I think a lot of people wish we still had a local paper with people who could find local news. Not everything has to be reported every 10 minutes as the DNT folks seem to believe. They may still not get it that not a lot happens here every 8 hours.

But there are many news issues here that are long term and very complex that need to be tracked and updated by people who are in contact, or can figure out how to make contact with the folks involved in the story as it develops. Trusted investigative reporters, you know. I think that is what made the old Chrony a paper that was worth subscribing to and advertising in. A lot of people have the skills up here to do the production and sales for a local paper, the question is whether the folks who know how to report and edit content could still make a modest living doing this. And do they still want to do it, is there any fresh blood in this town so the old gaurd - which was burned out - doesn't have to go right back into the meat grinder?

It's got to be more than a labor of love, it's a huge amount of work and no one wants to find that they are working for 6.00 an hour. That's why I'm trying to gauge what people's interest in a new paper is. Someone is going to be working a lot of hours, a sugar daddy might be in order. The Chrony could probably be bought out, but the price would have to fair as the only assets they have are the name and the archives. This forum doesn't provide enough of a sample to qualify as a market survey, so that would also have to be done properly as part of a full Bplan.

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO! - - -

twoz
Pro Poster
Username: twoz

Post Number: 405

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 884

Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a risk, but if the right people can be found to help back it, it can go. It comes down to who will commit to the background work it's going to take to see if it can fly?

charlie_t
Pro Poster

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find a few folks who want a good local paper, but there is no real angst. Just as other things that go away up here, they get a little lip service and then are forgotten. Matt is doing well and maybe he can keep it alive. The rest of us are pretty old folks.

jackburton
Regular Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't read the Croc anymore, but out of town relatives who do, tell me it is pretty bad as far as content goes. Local sports are important to many, police reports are fun, Sheriff call outs too, Foreclosures and other legal notices are worth a read.
When I did read the Croc, it amazed me how little I learned about what was really going on in Lake County. An old saying goes "The things that go on in this county would turn your hair white"! Not sure it goes that far up here, but I could write a long list of pretty important news that never got print. Did they ever employee a Full Time reporter, whose only job was digging into stories. That costs money and the paper is there to turn a profit. A county as big as this with so few people would be a challange, though there are only two small town and a few tiny villages.
I'de be sorry to see the end of a local TH/SB paper, but times are changing. An active lake county website could fill an important gap. Lots of folks in the know could contribute. Even I could post some interesting information on some subjects. As for making money, I doubt that would ever happen.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 913

Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 02:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone remember one of the great writers of the Chronicle by the name of Patrick J. Eller who wrote "Wolf Words"?

I sure do and have saved a number of his wonderful articles.

Anyone interested in reading a few of them???

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bassman... you bet! Patrick wrote some great columns. He was a night watchman at the sawmill for awhile, and that gave him plenty of time to compose his articles.
tom koehler

themaskedfan
Pro Poster
Username: themaskedfan

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some interesting comments on here. I am not sure what to make of the comment that you could not find much news about what was happening in Lake County. I always thought the LCNC did a good job of prioritizing it’s content about local news and getting it into print. When they had the resources to do so, the LCNC covered the Lake County Board and the Two Harbs City Council, with additional news from the Silver Bay CC in a good, fair, capsulized manner. I do realize that the paper cannot track down every story and run with it. IMO the downfall at the Chronicle began before Forrey was dismissed as the parent Forum Communication began whittling away at Human resources while expecting the same paper every edition.

In addition to that, the crew (and Forrey) had to answer to a knucklehead at the Duluth News Trib who would need a map to get to the Chronicle office from Duluth, let alone understand the machinations of assembling a local paper every week as well as the nuances/politics of operating a small publication in a small town in a sparsely populated county. My “farewell” column about Forrey had content removed before going to print, and when I informed a former editor that I was bowing out and submitted a goodbye column, I was told that, sorry to hear that you are leaving, however, we will not be publishing your final submission.

Now, it seems the Paper is struggling to re-establish itself, and the folks that are left are probably overwhelmed with duties they never thought they would have when they signed on, and perhaps the genius powers that be may be finally realizing that putting out a weekly edition of the Chron is not so easy as you thought?? How’s that investment goin’ fer ya now?? Not so good eh???

What is the difference between then and now????? Forrest Johnson. The guy that did everything from get the paper out (every duty, all inclusive) to swab the deck if needed. These mental giants from the Forum bought the Chron from a mega media Corp. that didn’t want it anymore, (amongst other reasons) and it was on auto-pilot for them because of Forrey. Thank you Forum.

The lack of angst is not because of a lack of angst, it is because of a lack of organized angst. Getting the Chron back to the way it was will not come about through Forum. They are the problem not the solution…

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 723
Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who was that masked man?
I have to agree. Forum came in and gutted the paper and thought everything would go on as before.
I had to chuckle when there was the big introduction of the new editor a few weeks ago. Talked about how he was going to make this a real home town newspaper. They know the paper is a piece of crap, but they want to talk about it as if it was this way for a long time. Those dipshiltz don't have to reinvent the paper! All they have to do is go back 6 months and read those issues. I used to like the 100 year old paper bits. Now they go to 75, 50 etc. Not interesting. The 100 years ago was like reading about a different world.
My sub was up a month ago. They have just gotten around to sending me a re-subscribe letter. No thanks. I will be happy there is one less piece of crap in my mail box. I wonder how I can get them to stop throwing that shopper on my property. They have nothing I want to see. Oh, one thing; Their back sides as they leave town.
The worm has turned, but it looks the same on both ends.

bassman

Post Number: 914

Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some fine pass Wolf Words by Patrick J. Eller....

I did the underlining in red when I cut the article out many years ago..

wolf Words #1}

spiderzero
Regular Poster
Username: spiderzero

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's just nice to not read about the birds and squirrels in Monica'a yard every week.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah spider, you are so right. How refreshing to have informative articles such as Souja playing with dolls on his mother's kitchen floor. It doesn't get much better than that!!

mule
Pro Poster
Username: mule

Post Number: 149

Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was very cool to pick up the Weekly Reader at Super One for free and find a collumn by Forrest and a collumn by The Masked Fan. Of course Forrie's collumn was just barely right of Mao and made me want to kick a hippy, but it was still good to read.
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." - Teddy Roosevelt

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is this weekly reader of which you speak?
I am not a big fan of Mao either. I always buy Miracle Whip.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he is talking about the Northland Reader - a free paper - weekly - shows up at Super One on Thursdays usually. Look for the rack by the inner exit door. Several columns plus some area news items, lots of advertising to pay for the paper itself, and area entertainment items. Dependingon your tastes, it has more to read than the Duluth paper.
tom koehler

mule
Pro Poster
Username: mule

Post Number: 150

Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, the Weekly Reader was something we got in grade school wasn't it? Mea culpa.

Of course I'm kidding when I say Forrie's piece was driving me to misdirected violence against aging counterculture types...Forrest is a great small town philosopher and when you can pick up his stuff for free you should certainly do it.
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." - Teddy Roosevelt

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 549

Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another paper that started showing up in my mailbox is the North Shore Journal from Silver Bay. No, I don't live anywhere near there, but it does have some local stories and classifieds. Total 6 pages, but it's free. Has quite a distribution area. From Two Harbors, to the Canadian border. Perhaps they could use a local reporter from the Two Harbors area. Carries the legals for Silver Bay. Plus quite a few business ads from Two Harbors.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be great if we could get a grass roots thing going to have the county and the city of TH use the North Shore Journal for their legals. Then those Forum dick weeds would not want our little local paper.

bassman

Post Number: 915

Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is another article of "Wolf Words" from the past by Patrick J. Eller.....

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 480
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff - a good idea. I think the North Shore Journal has to make the move, to bid on the advertising. Once it has been in publication and general distribution for a year, it is qualified to compete for the legal advertising. It has already been in publication and distribution in the Silver Bay area for some time, now, so it may already be qualified. It just has to win the bid.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, thanks for another of Patrick's fine columns.
tom koehler

bassman

Post Number: 916

Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are welcome Tom and I have a few more to go....

bassman

Post Number: 917

Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another "Wolf Words" By Patrick J. Eller:

Wolf Words #3

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 886

Posted on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice...

bassman

Post Number: 919

Posted on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another "Wolf Words" By Patrick J. Eller:

bassman

Post Number: 920

Posted on Monday, December 07, 2009 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patrick J. Eller had a special gift with a way with words that just blessed my heart to read his columns. I hope a number of you Two Harborites enjoy reading some of his works...

bassman

Post Number: 925

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bassman

Post Number: 929

Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the final Wolf Words by Patrick J. Eller and fits right in with Christmas time:

I hope you have enjoyed reading Patrick's writings as much I did way back when and again now.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours....

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 835

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for sharing these Bassman. This one was superb.

Merry Christmas!

~ Brad
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Bassman, for sharing Patrick's words with us. I'll admit to having differences with you in some matters, but we both agree on this writer.
Best wishes to you now and through the year.
tom koehler

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 674

Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone else find the editors comments re Sam to be a little less than accurate and a little biased? I would have thought the "new kid in town" would have done a little more digging for accurate info especially on this sensitive topic.

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How come Warren Miller doesn't show up in five separate pictures anymore? Hi Warren!

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone else find the editors comments re Sam to be a little less than accurate and a little biased?

Are you speaking of the little side story that went on and off the web real quick-like? Yeah, I went back to re-read and it was gone.

I think this is the one I was thinking about
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/19490/

(Message edited by todd r on December 30, 2009)

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

todd, I am a bit puzzled about this side story. What are you talking about? What story? Was it the editorial starting out:

"Editorial: Take action on harbor
Let’s get on with it. Now that Sam Cave’s appeal has gone as far as it can go, the city needs to move up and take the lead on development, or in some cases, non-development, along Agate Bay."

In which the editor slams the city for not buying the waterfront property in the first place? A BS piece!

I had some fine high hopes for this new editor, but so far he has disappointed me. The practice of publishing old News-Tribune stories in the Chronicle also ticks me off. Space is already limited in our paper, why tie it up with something published just 25 miles away a week earlier? Because it is cheap and requires no additional effort from already limited human resources. (reporters)
I gotta stop now, I'm really steamed.
tom koehler

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 675

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, that's the one! Sounds like Sam came in to visit and got his side of the story in but doesn't seem like the editor looked for actual facts. I thought I might be reading the National Enquirer for a minute.

Todd, that's the same one that was printed in the paper last week. Too late to pull it off the web when it went to print! Thanks for posting the link though. Now others that didn't get the paper can read what it said.

(Message edited by tailspin on December 31, 2009)

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Cave still has land for development in the area, but in conversation with the New-Chronicle, he sounds like he has had enough. We doubt he has completely thrown in the towel on moving ahead with hotel/condo plans, but he certainly has nothing on the table like he had when he first purchased the property".
This is an amazing quote, simply amazing! Would you like a translation into plain English and into reality? First see my post under "City Issues number 4" Dec. 28 2009.
Here is a translation of the above quote. The largest and most outrageous real estate bubble founded on the greatest credit bubble in American history has burst. The RE markets are in collapse, only being held up by trillions in direct government intervention. This effort will fail and Real Estate prices will continue to fall. Mr. Cave, being a real estate developer, knows full well that both the financing of and selling of large condo projects is a Dead Issue in this collapsed market. Therefore he has no plans to lose millions by trying to build hotels and condos anytime for years to come. Since there is no prospect for an RE rebound for at least a decade,if ever, I am throwing in the towel and walking away from development plans. "I like to make money, not lose money". This would be a more accurate take on Mr. Caves position.
Do the editors at the Chronicle live in a dream world or are they completely clueless as to the extent of the economic and real estate collapse in the USA? Worse is coming, and men like Cave know it. They will not develop any projects until this crisis in the capital and real estate markets is over. And that will be a very, very long time.
Acknowledge that, and you will go a long way towards a realistic approach to the TH waterfront. Facts are facts.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The editorial is still there, but the way the website is laid out, it may not be immediately obvious where it is. I wrote a comment online about the piece and this morning have an e-mail from the editor, regarding my remarks. Sez he got a bit of flak from a number of readers, but stands by his remarks. His favored entity, "the city" should be doing a lot of things, and I suppose it is our favorite entity, too. The deal is that the municipality of Two Harbors, The City, is seriously limited in what it can do with the waterfront - basically the entire geography between the water and the backside of downtown. Most of that real estate is owned by Sam, the county, or the state. With a disposable income of approximately $27, the city does not have a lot of options, anyway. I think a lot has been done already with the rebuilding of 6th Street, and now the potential of a rebuilding of part of 1st Avenue this coming season.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 755
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could not agree more with your comment to the editor, Tom. This guy is clueless. He writes that the water front is ugly and thinks most people would agree with that. Nothing is further from the truth of how people feel about the water front. We could do with a less obtrusive parking lot though. He talks about the little jewels of water front along the North Shore. Well, the shore front in TH is one of the few places along the shore open to the public.

donthavacowman
Pro Poster
Username: donthavacowman

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TWOZ: I just "got" your post from Sept 29. That was seriously funny.

jackburton
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm finding the Lake County Chronicle website to be getting better as regards hard Lake County News. Whoever is working at it, "you are doing a pretty good job". Glad to be able to say something positive about "The Croc". Keep it up and I may get a subscription to the hard copy soon.

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The online chronicle had an excellent exchange between commissioner Bergman and Mark B, on the QWest outage and broadband topic, in 3 different stories. In my opinion, Mark made the commissioner look silly. The Chronicle moderator deleted them all, no explanation.
Anybody else catch that?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I did read the commentaries, and I agree, they were very good. Mark B. was a high ranking business person, at the national level, with Dairy Queen, I believe. He is a consultant now, and offered his services free, for the county broadband initiative project... and was ignored.

I was not aware yet, that the commentaries were deleted. I have noticed that the Duluth paper did not have comment options on its opinion and news articles recently. I gotta go take another look.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... just got back from the Chronny site. ALL commentaries have been removed from this ish, except for the ones you just posted, todd.
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 573

Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

“You have not converted a man because you have silenced him.”

John Morley

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read the story about the alleged sexual assault case brought against a school district bus driver in the chronicle. I went to a Minneapolis paper to get the name of the person arrested. Could be I missed it in the chronicle, but if not, why would they not name the suspect?
I know zero about the case, so don't jump all over me for asking. I would think any news paper would report an arrested person's name as this is a matter of public record.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 586

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked on the Startribune but didn't see the name on either of two articles. Could be the name is not published until there is a formal charge. Being arrested does not mean that he is charged, only that he has been accused and arrested for suspicion. But, I am not a lawyer, so don't really know.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1492

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is wise until formal charges have been filed against this person, also none of our news stations mentioned the name either.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name was published and his arrest picture. It was on a website other than the Star and Tribune. I just wondered why some papers would hold the name back when it is public record. I forget now which paper I found the name and picture on. I just google searched key words when I couldn't find who the suspect was.
As for the case itself, we all know how ugly charges like this can get.
Without considering guilt or innocence, your life is pretty much over once a formal charge like this gets into the court system.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

myfox9.com

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1493

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SAD,that is all I can say.
I don't know him by that name, first name that is. Don't know him personally, but do know his wife. Yes, his life is pretty much ruined, and his family!

windbreaker
Regular Poster
Username: windbreaker

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of the Duluth stations except Channel 10 had the picture and the name. Channel 10 had the story, but Dennis Anderson pointed out that it is the policy of Channel 10 to not release names until formal charges are filed.

Bruce Anderson, our late County Attorney, used to tell me that he disliked this type of case more than any other because the accused is assumed GUILTY until proven innocent. Sure, sometimes they really are guilty, but he maintained that there were many innocent that were never really fully exonerated as they should have been.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1494

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is why I didn't see his picture on TV, as always watch channel 10 news.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know zero about this particular case like I said before.
But just reading the story on the internet makes me think this is going to be very complicated. Parts of it make no sense at all. But I don't have all the information. Still, nobody alive in the year 2010 could possibly ever dream they could get away with what the story claims was done.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1531

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like the Shopper has run out of those plastic sleeves for their paper. Two times now the paper has just been put on our porch, lucky both times I have happened to see the kid come, so I could get it before the wind catches it. Neighbors, well, what can I say about some of them! Lazy, or I don't care!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 838

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been trying to put a stop to the delivery of this paper to my house for years.
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1532

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have for the past year, to no avail. This afternoon, I had to go out and pick up the wind blown papers from both sides of us...grrrr!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1537

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you should see the nice "booklet"(don't know what else to call it) that Grand Marais Herald had in their paper this week. It was good size and shiny paper with colored grad pictures, along with a write up of who their parents were and what their future plans were. I was very impressed!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1549

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we get the Northland shopper on Sunday. Pamida now runs there sales ad starting Wednesday. I didn't pay any attention to the dates for the Pamida ad, went in there today to buy things I had seen on sale, non were on sale. I go up to the counter and take one of their ads, totally different than the one we got,come home check it ours was one week behind!! What is going on here?!!!
Lots of good that does then getting the sale ads when they are behind!
Has anyone else noted this?

bassman

Post Number: 961

Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Chronicle did a very nice job of recapping the Heritage days on their Web page....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration