Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * Commentary & Observation Local, Etc. < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 953

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the union has forgot we are in a depression....

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/161291

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1465

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This certainly is not a good time to go on a strike, they should be happy they are working even!!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 784

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't anyone think it was strange that the union going on strike was not named until the 4th paragraph?
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it is precisely *because* of the depression that the union is striking. The past labor contracts have been for 2 or more years at a time, and the city wants only a one year contract this time. The union wants a two year contrtact as has been customary with this and other unions in the city. The issue is *not* over wages or benefits. The union also wants to make sure that the city does not lay off union workers and then hire on part-time workers at sub-par wages, during the ordinary course of the work year.
tom koehler

cptcorn
Regular Poster
Username: cptcorn

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That last sentence holds the weight. I spoke to one of my customers and he was very upset about that. Especially since the negotiations for the other aspects of city workers (management, etc) went through without a hitch. When there's came up, someone decided to put the brakes on. Just another case of the average worker getting the short straw unfortunately.

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

North Shore Watershed Watch meeting, today, noon, library.
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/19829/group/News/
application/pdfflyer
Watershed Watch flier.pdf (128.0 k)

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a time and place for everything except when selfish people are involved. This whole recession has shown the world the true character behind many selfish individuals, public and private.

jackburton
Regular Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

160 billion dollars in bonuses for Bankers this year. This after they caused the biggest economic collapse since the great depression. And after taking hundreds of billions of dollars in free bailout money from American taxpayers.
Does that qualify as selfish?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2010 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm confused about that bailout money. Was it a gift or a loan?

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good question. Bailouts took place on many different levels. Some were to be paid back and some was an outright free bailout. The bottom line is that at a least 1.2 trillion was an outright gift. Many Banks that paid bonuses are insolvent, but changes to accounting rules and purchases of worthless assets by the Federal reserve and Zero Interest rate loans from the Federal reserve has allowed banks to show a profit.
Simple example: Banks borrow newly printed money from the Federal reserve at say .5% interest they then use that money to speculate in the markets and to buy treasury notes that return 5.00% interest. It is a license to print money really. The ultimate payer is the tax payer.
If you follow the money, it is open theft by banks from the taxpayers.
It is the greatest act of theft in American history, and nobody cares and the media refuses to tell the story. We are the suckers.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, gosh all hemlock, I care! I just don't understand what in blazes goes on. My level of accounting is that if I still have checks in my checkbook, I must still have money. The way banks do it, the terms profit and loss are meaningless. I sometimes think we should still use gold and silver. At least if I can see the stuff, then I know what is there.

I agree that the banks have been robbing us, I just don't know how. If it was boxes of nails and crates of chickens, it would be a bit easier to follow, I think.

I was talking to a businessman not too long ago, and he said he was worried about the bank calling in his loan. He makes his payments on time and his business is turning a profit, but the bank says it ain't a *high enough* profit. What kind of deal is that?

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 785

Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell it to me in herring?
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The people of Iceland voted yesterday not to pay the banker's losses. It was around 93% voting "NO". The bailout would have cost each Icelandic family over 16,000 dollars.
We in America did not get to vote on whether we wanted to bailout the American banks, they simply got their "bought and paid for politicians" to vote to take taxpayers money and give it to the banks. It's a great system, you give a politician money and then they vote to give you money. Meanwhile the media tells us terrorists are out to get us. The Economic Terrorists have already got us. Goldman Sacks, J.P. Morgan, CITI Group, Bank of America etc. etc. are financial terrorists.
Republicans and Democrats both vote to steal the people's money. Republicans are the worst, but that doesn't make Democrats much better.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster
Username: seth_mcdonald

Post Number: 82

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/03/11/chefs-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absur d/

New York Assemblyman introduces a bill aimed at making it ILLEGAL to use salt in the cooking of food in New York restaraunts.

AHHHHH We have millions of people without jobs in the country and this guy sees this as the priority? If I want to eat a bucket full of salt I should be able to do so. I want to eat bacon morning noon and night at my local Judy's, Blackwoods, or Vanilla Bean I should be able to do so.

Get the hell out of my life!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 786

Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone check to see if hell has froze over, cause I am agreeing with Seth.

That guy hasn't been in the country long enough to lose the accent and he wants to be the watch dog. How stupid is this? People are going to pay big bucks to have a meal prepared by a great chef and he can not season the food as he wants? Preposterous.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1474

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF I thought hell only froze over if the Vikes won Super Bowl!!

Take control of the salt by not adding more salt when your in a restaurant. Take control of how much salt you use at home. What we don't need is another stupid elected official making something a law. There is getting to be too much control by them over our lives.

The control needs to start at home, use less when cooking, don't add so much salt when you go out to eat. It is not up to someone to make it a law for gosh sakes. This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard!

It is just like research, someone comes along and says this and that is so bad for a person and every one panicks. Then a few years down the line another research is done and this research claims "hey it isn't so bad for you'!!!

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 579

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As with most government rules, regulations, and laws, they were implemented to protect us from ourselves and others. As far as banning restaurants from using salt might be a bit of a stretch, but, maybe they should make all restaurants post the nutritional values on their menus. My guess is these chefs would balk at that as well. They don't really want us to know what is in it, just that it tastes good. If you have ever watched any of the cooking shows on TV, see how much salt is being added. Salt is a flavor enhancer. It gets the taste buds fired up into overdrive. Thus, it makes things taste better. How else will these chefs make their claim to fame?

Too much salt causes hypertension and osteoporosis, to name just a couple of ailments. According to Wikipedia, the average individual consumes 2-1/2 times more salt than is recommended as a daily requirement. As a consumer we should be made aware of what is being put into our food. If they wont tell us, then perhaps we just not eat there anymore.

I see this issue to be in the same category as smoking in public places.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1475

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gas keeps creeping up, now I see today it is $2.83 a gal. Their reasoning for this continue rise, I think people are getting a bit tired of hearing. I certainly don't see this helping our economy.

Have you ever read the sodium content on our processed food!!!
I just kind of wonder how my grandparents lived to be such a ripe age, as they did everything wrong!

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 580

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One way that the body gets rid of salt is through sweat. How many people sweat on a regular basis anymore?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1476

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I sure don't sweat much anymore. My dad cut out salt as much as he could from his diet back many years ago, and the job he had he sweated alot(also one hot summer where they lived). Problems developed because he restricted his salt intake to much, but once he started adding more his problems disappeared. So there is good and bad here when it comes to salt intake.
Hypertension can be a hereditary factor also.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 787

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gas keeps creeping up, now I see today it is $2.83 a gal. Their reasoning for this continue rise, I think people are getting a bit tired of hearing. I certainly don't see this helping our economy.

I think this is a plot to keep me in AZ. It's not going to work. I have been lonesome for my old friends for a time now.
Just leave it alone.

sparky
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just have a salt block outside each cafe so the customers can get their daily lick on the way in.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 788

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The SPCA wants salt licks outlawed too. Seems our furry friends are suffering from hypertension too. No more heim-licks either. Nope, if you start to choke in a restaurant in NY, your gonna die.
Just leave it alone.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Salt licks in Two Harbors would be deemed "feeding the deer", and that is soon to be outlawed.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://in.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idINN1121606420100311?sp=tru e

Below is a paragraph from the article linked above. Now the governments wants to put black boxes in our cars. Ahhh I don't think so. If that happens I'm driving my truck until it is unsafe to drive. I wonder what the record is for miles racked up on a F 150? Stay out of my home, stay out of my diet, and stay out of my car!

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration chief David Strickland told a congressional hearing on Thursday that the regulator is considering whether to make "black boxes" mandatory for all new vehicles
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1479

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too much government control. NO!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 789

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can see the black box being subpoenaed for court cases.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 581

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hate to tell you this, but there has been black boxes in your cars for years. They are called computers, and they store data on various engine activities. When you take your care into the shop the mechanic plugs his computer into the car computer and it will tell him what has been going on mechanically. This is nothing new, been going on for 25 years or more.

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhat true. Todays vehicles store fault codes but are not like a flight recorder unless you have a scanner attached all the time. They can not tell you what you did 5 minutes ago or if you stayed at a holiday inn last night.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 790

Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!! Read on the Lakeview golf course site they expect to open April 15th. I wonder if that is the earliest opener.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 588

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got my sample school referendum ballot in the mail today. Am I reading this right, the ballot will be conducted via a mail in ballot? Where is the accountability in that? Does a blank vote mean a NO vote? There are three different questions on the ballot and they stated that if you did not mark all three, it could be disqualified. So if you don't vote on all three do they throw the whole ballot out? Does that mean I need to send my ballot in by certified mail return receipt requested? Will the ballots come with a prepaid envelope to mail back? It also states that the only polling place will be the District Clerks office. Where is that? So does that mean the ballots are not to be mailed in?

I am thinking the school district wants to confuse everyone so they wont get their vote counted, if the voters can even figure out how and where to vote.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1496

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you have to vote on all three. You have to read what is written in each of those area's, which I hadn't paid all that much attention too, until you brought it up. I took for granted we would vote on one or the other, seems that would have been simpler, but that isn't the case is it.

It does say if a person has any questions to call the Superintendent and I am sure your not alone in your questions about this. Sure lots of confused people out there!!

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatever your position on the referendum, it doesn't look good that this vote is going to be confusing and very out of the ordinary. That makes it look like a voter nullification effort. In other words, confuse the likely no voters. I've never heard of an election like this before. What is wrong with a simple up or down vote carried out at regular polling places? I may even be a yes vote after I look into it more closely, but it looks bad that this type of confusing process is being substituted for the regular type of vote process we are all used to.

mule
Pro Poster
Username: mule

Post Number: 151

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They may be trying to keep costs down. I can't remember the cost to field a referendum at the polling places but it's pretty significant.

The mailing is confusing. It was evidently sent out to every land owner in the district, even though only a fraction of those (registered voting residents) can actually vote in it. Our office is now fielding calls from nonresident seasonal/vacation home owners asking what this is all about and whether or not they can vote in it.

The information sheet also makes no reference to the new rural vacant land classification, which many seasonal/recreational classed properties have been changed to and has some significant implications in all this.
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." - Teddy Roosevelt

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 589

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How are they going to validate every ballot? How do they know how many voters are in each household? If I have a relative staying with me, can they vote? Can I make copies and vote as many times as I like? I have two parcels, can I vote for each one. Or, is it only one vote per homestead? Too many questions.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1497

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

totally agree with you HOTR. Actually they opened a can of worms the way it is set up now!!! So many "IF'S"!

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 76

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you go vote they have a printed list of every registered voter. I would guess that they mail to every registered voter and that you may have to sign the form when you return your vote and then I would guess that it will be checked again the voter list. This is not some fly by night vote trick. Mail in voting is an accepted method of voting on these types of issues otherwise the state board of education would not approve it.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The school board chooses the election judges and the votes are counted at the school. I know, I shouldn't question the procedure, but...
Does this ballot mean a NO vote must be cast three times to vote no to a levy increase and a YES must be cast only once to be a yes to increase the levy?
I've voted on school levy issues before, but never like this. Why the change?
The Fall Lake issue always comes up. Is it impossible to alter the school district so Fall Lake comes into the Ely district and we can have a measure of sensibility in how school district boundaries are drawn. It is senseless in the year 2010 to still have Fall Lake hanging out there belonging to our district when they go to school in Ely.
Is there a reason why this has not been corrected?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I made a call to the school district sup't office, per the suggestion at the bottom of the mailing. Actual ballots will be mailed out to those who are already registered and who have been voting regularly in past elections. If you are not a registered voter, you can (or must, actually) go to the office mentioned in the mailing, to register and then cast your ballot. The ballots will be tallied by regular election judges, as in regular polling.

If you support some level of additional funding, you'd vote yes to the option you prefer, and then vote no on the other two. Or, you would simply vote no on each of the three options.

In past elections, if an item with a "yes" or "no" option is being polled, a blank response is regarded the same as a "no" response. The logic is this... The total number of ballots returned and registered by the judges is the number of people voting in that poll. Then, the number of votes supporting or saying "yes" are counted. If you do not deliberately support or vote "yes" on an item you are deemed as opposing it. The people who do not bother to return or cast a ballot at all, literally Do Not Count. Ballots with a "no" vote on them and ballots with no marking at all, do not support the polled item, and will be counted as a "no" vote.

Consider an election where 10 ballots are cast. On a "yes" or "no" issue, 4 ballots support and one ballot opposes and five ballots are blank - the issue will fail because it did not gain a majority of ballots in support.

tom koehler

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 77

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My understanding is that the school district has tried to get Fall Lake over to the Ely school district and that the State Board of Education has not allowed that to happen. The reason for three votes it to give the voters more choices on how they want to support the school district. Vote no on all 3 if you do not support a levy at all or vote yes on one of more of the levies that you are willing to support. The largest levy that passes (if more than one passes) will be the one they implement.

(Message edited by nightrider on April 22, 2010)

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ballots go to registered voters. They have to be signed AND witnessed. There will be 6 election judges on May 18th at the District Office (at Two Harbors High School). They are from all areas of the District. There will be 3 ballot counting machines. The judges will be working in pairs to validate each ballot - each ballot has to be in its original unopened envelope (they will then open it), the ballot must be signed & witnessed, and it must be verified against the voter registration book. All ballots are kept - even those that are "spoiled" by not being signed properly or by voting both yes and no on the same question or by not filling in the circle properly. Failure to vote on a question does not constitute a "No" vote. After each ballot is verified it is then fed into the counting machine to be tallied. Ballots may arrive by mail or hand delivered at the School District Office up until 8 p.m. on May 18th. At that point the ballots will be tallied from all 3 machines and they will then know the results.

As for the 3 questions: Each question stands on its own so you should consider each question separately and vote on each one as you see fit.

To determine passage the total number of "yes" votes and the total number of "no" votes are tallied for each question. So, if question 1 gets more "yes" votes than "no" votes then it passes. Same goes for each of the other questions. If all three questions pass then the highest amount is the one that the District will receive. If question 1 fails but 2 & 3 pass, again, the highest amount is the one the district will receive. If only question 3 passes then that is the amount the District receives. If all 3 questions fail then the District gets nothing. If all three were to pass at no time would the District get any more than $550 per pupil unit (question 1). In other words - this is not cumulative.

As for the duration of the levy - the District is asking for 10 years. If, at any time, the state has the funds to replace the cuts and "shifts" they have inflicted on school districts then ISD 381 has the ability to reduce the amount of the levy at any time. If the state makes the District "whole" then the District can choose not to collect anything on the levy.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1498

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nightrider there is one part that is not fully clear yet, and that is about signing the ballots and they must be verified against the voter registration book. Who signs this ballot?

I have a feeling many of these ballots are going to go right into the garbage, because people will not fully understand it.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this better.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 683

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's important to remember that you have to vote on each of the 3. If you vote Yes on option one and it doesn't pass and you didn't vote yes on either of the other options then there will be no levy.

If people take the time to read the ballot it clearly says on option 2 something like "if option 1 does not pass I support option 2". On option 3 it says "if options 1 and 2 don't pass I support option 3".

So...just vote on all 3. If you only want option 3 then vote no on one, no on 2 and yes on 3.

Also, be aware that if number 3 is the one that passes, that might mean we go to a 4 day school week. The other 2 options will guarantee that we stay at a 5 day week. Option 3 does NOT guarantee that.

If you have questions, please call the number on the flyer/ballot. They are the ones who can help and explain it correctly.

NOTE: the school board is more than willing to come to speak to a group or individuals to help explain the levy and why they are asking for one and how it works, etc, etc. Really, they are. If you really want to be informed call a bunch of your friends to come over for coffee and invite a school board member to join you. If you have a group that already meets for crafts or church or special interests, etc, give the school board a call and ask them to send a representative to speak at your meeting. They WANT people to have all the info. This isn't a hidden agenda. People tend to think the worst and be suspicious of elected officials especially since we've all been burned at some point in time....but...that doesn't mean this particular group is to be distrusted. Take the time to get educated about education and give them a chance to enlighten you. It might make a world of difference.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had a tornado warning drill this past week, which was supposed to help us think about and practice what we ought to do if a *real* tornado warning were to be set off. Well, so far, so good. The siren went off... and the kids at recess at the M'haha School just continued playing and scampering about, as if it were just the 1 o'clock siren on the first Wednesday of the month - which it definitely was not.

Was this training event supposed to be a teachable moment for all of us, or was it just something else altogether?

Am I missing something, here?

Gonna be another one about 6:30-ish on Thursday evening, I think. Same results, just a noisy annoyance for a few moments?

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1499

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We usually hear the sirens, but didn't hear them this time, guess the wind direction was not right or something.

As far as the school, apparently the school is at fault here in not talking before hand to the kids what was going to happen and telling them what they should be doing...lack of communication!!!

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know we had a tornado siren. Is it the same siren we hear on the first Wednesday of the month? I'll admit, if I heard the siren go off at any different time, I'm not sure what its supposed to signify.......some kind of potential/oncoming emergency? Is one supposed to prepare for a tornado, or listen to the radio/internet for news flash or both?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 528
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there was an article in the Two Harbors/Duluth newspaper about the drills. The siren was the same ol' siren we always hear, it just went on for a bit longer and it was on a different day from the usual first wednesday. I guess what a person would have to do when hearing the siren at the wrong time is look up, say, "huh?" then call someone else, or see if there is anything on the radio. uffda.
tom koehler

bassman

Post Number: 956

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 02:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe it was in the spring of 1942 when I was in 4th grade up stairs at the Minnehaha school that around 2 PM or so the skies turned black and the teacher had to turn on the lights in the class so we could see. I forget how long it lasted, but seemed like a long time back then. They didn't have any sirens then...

I can't remember what I had for supper last night, but funny the things I can remember for way back when....

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 640

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got my sample school referendum ballot in the mail today.
Am I reading this right, the ballot will be conducted via a mail in ballot?

Just like absentee ballots.

Where is the accountability in that

The same place the accountability is during any election – with your election judges. The school District uses the same pool of election judges as regular elections do. In this case the district is using 6 election judges (who will be in the district office from when the poles open until the results are determined after the polls close.)

Does a blank vote mean a NO vote?

The answer to this question is NO. If you return your ballot blank it is as if you did not vote. And no we do NOT destroy them if they come back blank.

There are three different questions on the ballot and they stated that if you did not mark all three, it could be disqualified. So if you don't vote on all three do they throw the whole ballot out?

First of all NO Ballots are thrown away during any election.
This one I will say read the ENTIRE text on each of the ballot questions. If you still have question call the district office at 218-834-8216 exit 8216.

Does that mean I need to send my ballot in by certified mail return receipt requested?

No if you are concerned you may walk you ballot right into the school district office where 6 election judges will be waiting to assist you.

Will the ballots come with a prepaid envelope to mail back? YES, again just like absentee ballots do.

It also states that the only polling place will be the District Clerks office. Where is that?

The school district office is in the Two Harbors High school. If you park in the front parking lot and walk toward the front door there is a path going off to the right that door will lead you to the School District office.

So does that mean the ballots are not to be mailed in?

You may mail them in but they must be at the district office by 8 pm on May 18th. You will get your ballots in plenty of time to read them complete them and mail them back. Or again you may walk them into the district office on May 18th, poll closes at 8:00 pm.

I am thinking the school district wants to confuse everyone so they won’t get their vote counted, if the voters can even figure out how and where to vote.

Again if you have any question please contact the district office at 218-834-8216 ext 8216.
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 799

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have voted several times when the mail in system was used.
This is how those were handled. They send you a ballot and several envelopes. You put your marked ballot into the designated envelope and then you sign that envelope. You then place it into another envelope and that is the one addressed and stamped. At the vote counting place they check your signature against the voter roles and then take you ballot out and place it with the others in the ballot box. Then, the ballots are taken out and counted.
What keeps coming to my mind is the time in the old HS lunch room when the school board told us; "If you vote for the new school referendum, we will not come back for more money. We have more than enough money to run the school."

As to Fall Lake. There are many high buck homes there. We want the school tax for these homes coming into our school district. We will then pay the per student amount to send a child to the Ely district. Which may be less than the school tax we take in. OR..... Perhaps Fall Lake pays it's school taxes to the Ely district now. I know that there are people who live on the shore west of here that are in the Duluth school district. But it has been decided to send their children to TH. Right on their real estate tax forms, it shows them paying TH school taxes.
Just leave it alone.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 685

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure the school board probably never imagined they would have to come back to us for more money. But oh how the times have changed....I'm sure none of us could have foreseen the current economy and our own individual financial situations and the financial situation of the entire country for that matter. I don't think we can hold them to their word from "back then" considering how life has changed for the world. Government doesn't cough up the money it used to for education.

I don't know all the details but I do know it's important to stop looking backwards and time to take a look at the future. And that future, OUR future, is on the shoulders of these children.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 590

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does that mean that because my costs for housing, groceries, utilities keep going up, that I should tell my employer that they will have to give me a raise so that I can continue to provide what they want? If they don't vote to give me a raise, then I will start producing less? How long do you think I will stay employed?

The other thing that does not make sense, in a very basic way, if the number of students keep dropping, why does the cost to educate them keep going up?

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 687

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We either want our kids educated and we do what we have to do or we throw our hands in the air and walk away and tell them we aren't interested. That's the cut and dried of it. I know there are lots of arguments or reasoning out there as to why we shouldn't vote for a levy. You don't have to tell the school board how messed up government spending is for education. They battle it every day. And NONE of it makes sense. Why is there extra money laying around for roads that really don't need improvements but that HAS to be spent or lost but yet that money can't be diverted to education? I don't know. I'm just asking.

I really don't want to keep having social security taxes taken out of my paychecks because by the time I get to that age the money will be gone. I'm saying that because there are people that say "I don't want to pay more taxes for a school levy because I don't have kids in school." Well....see above.

Costs to educate go up like everything else. It takes fuel to run buses and heat the buildings. My guess is that cost went up. There are all kinds of costs associated with educating our children. It's a messy system and most of it doesn't make any sense. But when we are one of a handful of districts that does NOT have a levy, that should tell you that it's not just our district. It's not that our district has been sloppy in handling our resources. It's the new reality....without a levy there isn't enough money coming from the government to provide an education for our children.

Seriously though....these are just my musings and opinions and thoughts. I don't have any answers. And, unless someone on here is a board member or has had some experience in dealing with public education and funding.....there aren't any answers here. There ARE, however, answers in the district office. If people understand the education funding process from the experts point of view I think there may be more people that would understand why a levy is needed. Think of it as FREE education!! Your own. By calling and talking to someone that can answer all of the questions we have. We can get educated on those questions for free!! How sweet is that?

Oh, and an answer to your posed question homeontherange, if costs keep going up and I've done everything I can to make it work, to make ends meet, to make every dollar count, to cut back everywhere I can cut and still survive and have a meaningful life for myself and my family and it's still not working and my employer can't give me more money it means I go ask for money from wherever else I can get it...and that might mean I take on a 2nd job or I borrow money. I do what I have to do to make it work when everything else I've done isn't enough and I pray that someone will understand my plight and give a little of what they have, even if it hurts a little bit, so that I can keep my head above water.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be supporting the levy. yes on all three ballots.

I only wish I could cast a vote on some of the wasteful road projects we'll see going on this summer.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 800

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, times have changed drastically since the school board said they would need no more money from us. But the times have changed for every tax payer too. There are those of us who have no recourse but to make cuts to keep going. Well, I can not make cuts on my real estate tax, but when asked if I want it to go up, I can say no. The tax hike would be minimal if these go through, I know that, but a message must be sent to those who spend our tax dollars. To believe that the school board knows how much money they will need three years from now and not the ten years of this referendum is ridiculous.
Just leave it alone.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 688

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who is "those who spend our tax dollars"? What is the message you want to send?

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"those who spend our tax dollars"? In the context of the discussion that must mean the school board and administration?

One can argue about what priorities should be in running a local school district and how the available money is spent. But one can't argue that the taxpayers and parents don't have a right to question or pressure the administrators on the subject of how much money gets spent and what it gets spent on.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 802

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Who is "those who spend our tax dollars"? What is the message you want to send?"

Who else spends our tax dollar other than those who tax us?
The message? Energy rates are up, insurance cost is up, in general, the cost of living is up. Perhaps now is not the time for tax increases.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is us who spends our tax dollars, through the people we elect and talk to. tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 591

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tailspin, I wish I had your opptimism. All you have to do is cut back and get a part time job. When was the last time you got a part time job? If you read my post you will see that I am cutting back where ever I can. I need to replace windows in the house, should I forgo that to pay for an education for students? I work 6-3, then get about an hour to do a few chores around the house, then the wife comes home, chat for a bit then do some more chores around the house. Next we fix supper. By the time we get done eating is 7 PM. Now you suggest that I go get another job to pay for the additional taxes due to the schools demands, then get up again at 6:00 AM to start all over again? I am 65 years old, when do I get to retire? By the way, we are still supporting our adult children at home, because they can not get part time jobs, so now my grocery, electric, gas bills are going up expontentially. Perhaps the best answer is to have all of our kids go to the big city and raise their families there so we do not have anymore kids in this school district to cause our taxes to go up. Of course this situation is the same everywhere. Very simply, the school districts everywhere are not fiscally responsible. I have seen this same scenario in my previous residence. Only in the previous residence, the opposite was happening. The communtity was booming. Well that means more houses so more taxes, more houses means more students, well they should pay for themselves. But no, they need more money to pay for more teachers, and more schools. It's like the tail is waggin the dog! It has to end!

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 689

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But is it REALLY that the school districts aren't fiscally responsible? Really? I think it goes a lot higher up then school districts. It's easy to blame what is closest to home but if you take the time to hear how the funding is now done from the federal level through the state level it will become more apparent that in many cases it's not an issue anymore of fiscal irresponsibility locally.

Our teachers voted to not get a raise. For 2 years. Our district has cut nearly to the bone. I'm sure everyone has their own list of what things could be cut but if you cut too deep you lose students and that means you lose more money. It's an awful situation and a complicated one at that.

I just hope people get all the facts. The REAL facts. From people that have real answers. I hope people don't vote based on false information or out-dated information or inaccurate info, etc.

There is another informational meeting scheduled in TH and one in SB next week. If you don't think you know all the CORRECT facts please go. To those that think they don't have a right (or have been made to feel they don't have a right) to question the current board/superintendent on how they reached this decision or how the money is spent or saved etc........GO TO ONE OF THESE MEETINGS!!! SPEAK UP!! ASK QUESTIONS!! They have all the data. They'll share it. But you have to be willing to listen and actually HEAR what is being said. Not to hear what you want to hear. Not to convince yourself that it's all a bunch of lies and someone is trying to pull one over on you. That's not the case. We need to have open minds on this and vote based on facts and vote with knowledge. Not old beliefs or old rumors or based on old grudges against long ago people or issues. It's all about the present and our future.

I know strwblu has said many times on here that people should attend school board meetings. Why don't we? We don't attend and our absence means we are okay with allowing the board to make decisions without our input. We DO have a right to speak. But that means you have to attend the board meetings that we have all been encouraged to attend over and over and over. If I don't do that, and decisions are made, then who have I to blame but myself for allowing that to happen while I sit at home and read a book or watch tv? I have a voice. Whether or not I chose to attend the meetings and use it is MY choice. And if my choice is not to go then I shouldn't whine if things get decided that I don't like.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, going to board meetings is important, so that the people we elect can know our wishes, our feelings. Now, I ask, is it not also the case that part of our school funding was money from the state coffers... money that is now absent or much diminished? Our governor has seen fit to do other things with that bit of our tax money.

We are being gamed by our governor who claims he is not going to raise our taxes. What he is doing is re-routing our money to other destinations, and then forcing us to raise local taxes, ourselves... or do without the things that used to be paid with statewide collections.

We not only need to keep our wishes known to those we elect, we need to keep ourselves informed about where our tax revenues come from and where they go. tom koehler

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 152

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to the Monday night meeting at the Minnehaha. It was poorly attended by the public, but in defense of that very little new information was offered.

I'm still not convinced the district's estimate numbers are 100% accurate, given the land classification changes recently that change how much value certain properties will be paying voter approved school levies on. Superintendent Minkinnen seemed confident the "finance people" knew what they were doing and were aware of the changes even if he and his administration wasn't.

He did make a good point at one instance in his presentation, when talking about the sort of town an industry looks to move to...they certainly don't want a town with a poor school system. His quote was, "The first thing they ask is what sort of tax break will they get for moving here, and the second thing they'll ask is what are the schools like?" and I tend to agree with that. There are many components to getting jobs to an area and a poor school system certainly isn't going to help it.
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." - Teddy Roosevelt

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought we voted for the new school because that would be the town's selling point to employers looking to move to town. And it was sold as a motive for Duluth people to move to TH for our school and small town lifestyle. Not likely with East and Marshall available!
Tom makes a good point about the popular governor. He has always wanted to get the state out of aid to local schools and local government aid and push the cost onto property taxes. He says locals will control spending if they see the true costs of things on their property tax bills. He gets to cut the state budget and get the locals fired up against property tax increases. He will succeed too!
We were told to vote for the new school, and they had plenty of money to run it, the two were NOT connected. That was disingenuous. But I voted for the school despite that, we had to have it as the old one was a wreck.

sparky
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't blame the governor for the funding. The fact is there is not enough tax revenue coming in to spread around. The legislature determines the spread more than the governor. It seems the only people wanting higher taxes are those who don't pay any. The state wants Hennepin County to pay for the uninsured medical needs; there is not enough money for that. Don't want my property taxes in Hennepin to go up for another jurisdiction.

We all have the same problems in different ways.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1502

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got our ballots today.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well now we got someone to pay for an ad in the paper and state information that makes the voting more confusing and to help his cause for the NO vote.

If you do not wish to approve a 10-year property tax increase, you must vote “NO” for ALL three ballot questions.

If you wish to approve a 10-year property tax increase, you need vote “Yes” for only the ballot question you feel comfortable with. You should vote “NO” for each of the other two questions.

I am OK with the first statement. But this person is in essence telling you that if you want to vote yes for a levy increase that you should only vote Yes for one question and vote No for the other two. That is totally wrong. You have every right to vote yes for one, two or all three levy increases.

If you are willing to vote yes for the largest levy increase are you not also willing to support the smaller levy increases. You should vote yes for all of the levy increases that you are willing to support.

By following what was suggested by someone in the paper and voting yes for the largest levy but then by voting no to the other two smaller levy increases you are actually making it more likely that if the largest levy fails that the other levy options could fail also because of their suggestion to vote no. I have no problem with people running an ad on reasons to vote for or against the levy but don't try to instruct them how to vote a certain way.

It is really this simple: Vote Yes for each of the levy questions that you are willing to support to help the children of the school district. Only vote No if you are against the specific levy increase.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right Nightrider. That someone is Minnetonka resident Mark Broin. He has a webpage at http://www.vote381.com/
I called him out on his misrepresentation of the voting procedure on the comment section of the Chronicle, and he basically said I was reading what I wanted to read and he said his comment was 100% accurate. He is deliberately misinforming the public such that if they follow his instruction, it will skew the vote toward his position. The chronicle has now deleted all those posts. I was civil, just thought the public deserved the truth about the voting process. I encourage folks to file a complaint with him at site.administrator@vote381.com Whether you are for or against, the deliberate attempt to give false information abou how to vote is very disengenuous.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 153

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at one of the meetings in the THHS auditorium attended by Mr. Broin as well (in fact, we had the misfortune of sitting directly in front of him) and it would be generous to call him "disruptive". The information he's peddling about class sizes and teacher/student ratios is misrepresented as well. He takes the averages across the district and makes no allowances for differences in class sizes between William Kelley and the Minnehaha, no allowances for different pupil #'s in different grades, etc. The "averages" that Mr. Broin uses just don't do the situation justice.

(Message edited by Mule on April 30, 2010)

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark Broin seems to be hinting in his website information that he thinks pay for teachers is too high. He also thinks medical benefits are to generous. At least that is what I took away from reading his vote381 web page. So if he lives in Minnetonka how does he vote in our election?

I could see this confusion coming as soon as I got my sample ballot. But it may confuse both the yes and no crowd. Broin makes the point that our school district's per student spending is above the state average. Is that really true? My point back when we argued the new THHS was that we couldn't afford two high schools, that a North Shore High School newly built some way up the shore could handle SB and TH kids. Of course there were a million reasons why this was impossible. I bet had we done that, we would not be in the pickle we are now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1505

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reading the front page of the paper, "Quote..Any Permanent resident of the district who is a registered voter can vote on the levy".
http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/individ/residency_and_filing_status/definition/resi dents.shtml

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 692

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just sent him my complaint and asked him to go raise his fist elsewhere.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Broin pays $13,511.76 taxes on his $1,664,200.00 valued property in Larsmont, but his home in Minnetonka is homesteaded, so I don't think he'd be affected tax-wise. Maybe he has plans to move here and change his residency? The website looks like a Broin family project.
His sidekick (Brian O) on the chronicle site comments (all deleted now) was campaigning for him to run for school board. I dont think he could with his non-resident status...could he? I cant figure him out.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 805

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two things that have been bandied about so much that it no longer has, if it ever did, an impact on me; "It's for the children" and "Industry wants."
I still have a bad taste left over from, if not the building of the new school, the design of it. Is it true that the roof is leaking and they have pails catching the water? Heard that recently.
And do I care if the pool is open? Not really. There are plenty of us that did not have one during our formative years. It was tough, but we persevered.
Sorry.
Just leave it alone.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 154

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would have to be a resident of the district and already registered as a voter here, which Mr Broin is not.

Assuming his home in Larsmont is classed seasonsal/recreational (vacation home), he would not be paying this levy anyway. Voter approved levies are not paid by seasonal/rec properties.

nat_sherman
Pro Poster
Username: nat_sherman

Post Number: 322

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/04/28/obama_to_wall_street_i_do_thin k_at_a_certain_point_youve_made_enough_money.html

I haven't posted for a while because I've been too busy trying to make some money to pay the bills. I've been trying to stay away from the news for a while because I believe it doesn’t help my stress levels.

Within 2 days of me plugging back in I hear the President of the United States, and the leader of the FREE world say this.

"I do think at a certain point you've made enough money" There is not a word in the English dictionary that can describe how ridiculous that sentence is!

I have one question and then you guys can let your wisdom fly.

Mr. President, How much is enough and who makes that decision?
Magna est veritas, et praevalet

bassman

Post Number: 958

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I do think at a certain point you've made enough money" There is not a word in the English dictionary that can describe how ridiculous that sentence is!

I couldn't agree with you more Nat.

Nice to see you back posting....

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 593

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first question I would ask is, What is enough? Is $1,000 enough, or is $1,000,000 enough, or maybe $100,000,000,000,000,000. What is enough? Then I would ask at what point does it become greed? That is one of the deadly sins if I recall. If you are so greedy that there isn't enough, then I pity you.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With what has transpired in the economy and on Wall St the past few years, I welcome those comments by President Obama.
It's not ridiculous, but appropriate. You can't boil it down to one sound bite that makes for a conservative's bumper sticker.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On how much is enough...
Well, those who pay minimum wage would pay less if they could. If you work for tips plus your wage, you *can* be paid less than minimum wage. If you're one of the heavy hitters in the Fortune 500, you can be paid about 480 times what your lower wage earners get, and it isn't enough.
tom koehler

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 323

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me get this straight. If I invent a new widget, charge a fair price for it, a billion people buy it and I become a billionaire I'm now a sinner?

It's not appropriate and it's not a simple verbal slip. What would be appropriate would be if the President simply said if you make money illegally you will find yourself in jail. If you find yourself providing a product America and the world wants, and you do it above board you will find the federal government supporting your every move. He didn't say that. He said there is now for the first time in America a financial cap on success.

Unreal! I can not wait until the next election.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 806

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me get this straight. If I invent a new widget, charge a fair price for it, a billion people buy it and I become a billionaire I'm now a sinner?

Why do you bring widgets into the mix? At the moment, what people are seeing nationally is a bunch of men that make hundreds of millions of dollars a year and produce nothing. No widgets, nothing. In fact many of them drive their companies into bankruptcy and still make these big bucks. You do not think that a man producing nothing getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars a year is not excessive?
Where in the hell you get "widgets" and "fair prices" I do not know.
Perhaps "felonies" and "long jail sentences" would be more appropriate.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 594

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you invent a widget and sell it for a fair price and make billions, I applaud you. If you sell these widgets and you knowingly do not tell your customers that the widget will fail, then you are a greedy SOB.

In all fairness, why was the clip you suggested cut off in mid sentence? Why not play the whole video to put this debate into a specific context?

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 324

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you guys and dolls out there really believe that Obama was only thinking of wall street, he's a better politician than I give him credit for.

Obama didn't focus on just wallstreet when he set the 250,000.00 limit on tax cuts. He is an equal oportunity believer in enough is enough.

Also, many of you have worked for a company that is a corporation. Many and I might say a majority of those companies get their financing from wall street banks and investment firms. So if your all gung ho on putting the clamps down on wall street than I guess your willing to sacrifice some pay in the not so distant future.

An American President should not be out making general statements like he did. He is the leader of the Free world, not just America. When Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Carter talk the world listens.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Right now there are trillions of dollars around the world on the side lines waiting for the right environment to invest and take finacial risk of capital. The tone from Obama is telling those investors keep it there or I'll come and get it some way some how. That is not good for job and economy.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1506

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is the full version, not the very short version. It is long. http://www.thepoliticalcarnival.net/2010/04/video-president-obama-town-hall-in.h tml

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 325

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, if you don't like the way the company you work for is run, you're probably not the only one. Gather your fellow workers together and start a new company that provides its workers with the work environment, compensation, and benefets you think are fair. You can put these money grubben, sinning CEO's out on the unemployment line.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 807

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's face it Nat, what this is all about is the fact that Dem's won the election. Sour grapes. From you and thousands like you that feel the democratic process is only a good thing when you win. Hanging on every word from Palin and Bockman. Unable to see their lack of intelligence. Listening daily to the hate spewed forth from Rush and others like him. Well tough shlitz cause this is the way it is going to be until we have an election that changes things. Perhaps next time the RNC will pick a better team than the maverick clowns they threw into the ring last time.

Hey, Sarah. How's that drill baby drillie thingie working for ya? ROFLMAO
Just leave it alone.

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 326

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm usually an anti tax and pro cutting spending when it comes to government budget. At this point I believe I will be voting for the increased school levy. Our students in the district should not be punished for the lack of funding because federal or state politicians can't see the forest through the trees.

I wish there was a way to lower our state and federal taxes and have that savings go directly to our local schools. The way the system works now we send a good junk of our money to the state and federal governments and have to kiss some a$$ to get it back so our students can benefit.

Bad system, but until I hear different I'll be voting for the increased levy. I agree with those who say attend the public meetings so you can control the spending better. I have not attended a school board meeting, but plan to in the near future.

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 327

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frosted, I couldn't agree with you more on the RNC picks. There are 300 plus million people in America and they chose McCain. I hope both parties get there stuff together and give us better options to choose from. I'm not a kool-aid drinker. I can't remember the last time I listened to Rush and try to spread out my news sources. I have voted for libertarians, republicans, and democrats. So keep thinking I'm a one party guy, but you'll be wrong.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 808

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How does that old saying go? Something like; If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Kinda like that? I am not thinking you are a Kool-aid drinker. I think you would prefer something more like, lets see, what would it be? Tea?
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Elections have consequences" George W. Bush

It seems some Americans believe the people have no right to vote for leaders that are not republicans. They lecture the public about their power being absolute and extra constitutional because they are republicans. They take the country into 2 1/2 wars, borrow the money to fight them, fail to secure the victories and call anyone questioning their failures unpatriotic. They deregulate wall-street and the banks who promptly use the lack of regulation to bankrupt themselves and the national economy while paying themselves hundreds of billions in bonus money while demanding taxpayer bailouts of their failed businesses. The republican president George W. Bush then hands over several trillion to save wall-street and try and save the banks.
I got news for republicans. "elections have consequences". Obama carries on the wars, the bailouts and the failed world wide empire. With democrats carrying out 90% of the republican agenda they whine and cry that 90% isn't enough, so they form tea parties to whine and cry even louder. They long for a real leader like Bush who made America into a broke nation in serious decline and bogged down in military occupations costing trillions. No, both parties are one in the same. American people are the losers. The elite are the winners.
The top 1% are now leeching off of the taxpayers and Federal reserve banks printing presses. America's economy collapsed and the rich made record profits on the collapse. Much of their financial activities were subsidized by US taxpayers and many of their financial instruments are nothing but frauds. They no longer run productive enterprises but instead use financial fraud to skim all the money off for themselves. Fraud is the new major American industry, and that is why we are in decline and nearing complete bankruptcy.

bassman

Post Number: 959

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

2012 is a long way off, but November 2010 is right around the corner and then we will see what the people have to say about this government...

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a response to my query to site.administrator@vote381.com
Mr . Broin requested I share with the bloogers.
Todd...
I've been an official resident of Lake County for over a year, now. I have owned my property there since 1994. My grandfather owned property outside Tofte since the 1930s. My two sons homestead my property in Minnetonka.
So, that means I would be paying any operating referendum tax which might be passed, and it would not be an inconsequential amount.. I could just as easily switch back to seasonal/recreational and not pay and not care...but that just isn't my nature. The two amounts would probably be a wash, but then the rest of the resident taxpayers would have to pay what they would have billed me and I don't like that, either.
Perhaps you could pass that information on to your fellow bloggers on the site you pointed me to.
I have been asked to run for the schoolboard. Haven't given it a lot of thought, although I believe I could help. Right now, I'm quite busy with my other business activities.
I hope this helps your understanding of my circumstances.

I asked again about his phony voting instructions, to which he said:

Todd...
"If you wish to approve a 10-year property tax increase, you need vote “Yes” for only the ballot question you feel comfortable with. You should vote “NO” for each of the other two questions."
This is our clear position, in our position paper, it is self-explanatory and the "recommendation statement" stands. People may vote any way they choose, according to the official ballot instructions; they do not have to follow our recommendation.
Thanks for your suggestion, however.
Perhaps you might now expend your energies on getting the School District to offer up some factual justification for its levy proposal. Talk about potentially misleading representation...

This whole business of big ads in local paper to influence local election, from shoreline property owners, has a familiar ring to it dont ya think?

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 693

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is part of the reply I rcvd from Mr. Broin;

"In 2004, I retired from my position as Vice President of “International Dairy Queen, Inc.” (a Berkshire Hathaway Company). I am Managing Director of the “Humagen Group of Companies” (www.humagen.com), for which I have held a board position since 1983. I also sit on the boards of and advise a number of other privately held companies in the State of Minnesota.

My family was a founding financier of St Olaf College in Northfield, MN."..............................

"I believe strongly in a high quality education system that focuses on the fundamentals of reading comprehension, written communication and mathematics fundamentals.

I know all the tricks and all the strategies used by school districts to position operating levies for their highest probability of success, without coming anywhere near informing the public about real substantiating facts (or lack thereof) behind objectives the district may be driving for.

I am not easily fooled, and am not a fool."

I rcvd a 3 page Word document in reply to my e-mail. The rest told of his childrens education accomplishments (in part to my request to know who the he$$ he is) and his ability to help in financial quandries. I should have asked him what he paid in school taxes on his property in Minnetonka. It's okay to want to help but to appear to do so as a know-it-all out-of-towner is what rubs the locals way wrong. There are proper ways to HUMBLY ask if you can help and the other way is to boldy state your long list of accomplishments and to do so while looking down your nose at the very people who have been fighting this battle for funding for a long time now. Am I referring to anyone in particular with my last statements? Gosh no.

And to push the "conspiracy theory" grinds me the wrong way too. Hinting that OUR school district is using "tricks and strategies" etc. My words here now "an outsider" assuming they know the caliber of our people in this county. Are we all then fools or conniving scum who purposefully set out to trick and harm our neighbors? This is Lake County. We are family. We chose to live here because we ARE family and we DON'T have to be on guard and be suspect of each other every waking moment. Are there bad apples around here? You bet. But we hear about them. It's a small town. All of Lake County. It's a small town.

Todd - I heard the same familiar ring.

(Message edited by tailspin on May 03, 2010)

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said tailspin. Now knowing that he will be paying higher taxes if the levy passes, so much of what he has done sounds like he is just trying to save his own wallet and really does not deeply care about the real issues of education.

I think most people believe that the school board and the administrative staff have done everything possible to keep the budget in check but when the state delays funding and then takes away funding, what else can you do but ask for voter support for the schools.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 155

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"So, that means I would be paying any operating referendum tax which might be passed, and it would not be an inconsequential amount.. I could just as easily switch back to seasonal/recreational and not pay and not care...but that just isn't my nature."

No Mr. Broin, you can't just "easily switch"...occupancy for homestead purposes is a fact situation, you're either qualifying or not. You don't get to choose your tax classification, it is what it is.

All I'll say about this is if you're claiming a homestead you don't actually reside in, in one region, and have your kids relative homestead your other home in another, you're committing homestead fraud.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 595

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But how do you prove residency? If I own a property and receive my mail there, isn't that proof of residency? I was in a situation a while back where I owned two properties, I lived in one, but the other, I could have had my son/daughter, parents, or brother/sister live in the other and still homesteaded. I think that is a state law, unless it has changed recently.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 809

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, when you have a relative homestead one of your properties, you are not committing fraud. You are well within the limits of the law. You can have your children, your mother or father and, I believe, aunts or uncles homestead your property.

About agricultural and recreational land not being subject to school taxes. What about when that cabin is turned into a homestead property? As often happens, or the farm land is broken up and sold for residential lots. There is magical a school that other properties have paid school taxes for waiting for them to enjoy? I think in a case such as this, they should pay all the school taxes that have been forgiven over the years.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 596

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can a relative homestead a property for me?

Yes, qualifying relatives may become substitute occupants for the property owner. Qualifying relatives are defined by birth, legal adoption, or marriage. The definition of "relative of the owner" includes a child, stepchild, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, parent, stepparent, parent-in-law, grandchild, grandparent, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, nephew or niece, step niece or step nephew, members of family farm corporations and farm partnerships.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/assessor/homestead.asp#P7_1257

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 810

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, I might add, I think that if Broin makes a statement concerning something he might do, you may find that he has looked into it quit extensively. That's just the kind of guy he is.
Just leave it alone.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 641

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Straight from the Secretary of State Website

Before you can vote, you must register. In Minnesota, you may register 20 days before Election Day for your name to appear on the polling place roster, or on Election Day at your polling place.

Your registration remains current until you move, change your name, or do not vote for four consecutive years. You may update your registration information by completing another Voter Registration Application.

Am I eligible to vote?
You may register and vote in Minnesota on the next Election Day if you:

* will be at least 18-years-old on Election Day
* are a citizen of the United States
* will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
* have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
* are not under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
* have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=204
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"No, when you have a relative homestead one of your properties, you are not committing fraud. You are well within the limits of the law. You can have your children, your mother or father and, I believe, aunts or uncles homestead your property."

Yes, of course there's a relative homestead law. I'm pretty well versed on the homestead laws. That's not what I meant, so allow me to clarify:

If you have business interests in the Cities, and have your kid(s) relative homestead your home down there where you actually spend most of your time and conduct your business from, so that you can homestead your home on the North Shore even though that's not really your main residence and are not spending the majority of your time there, you are committing homestead fraud.

I am a pain in the ass about homesteads because from my view, the last remaining vestige of advantage that locals have in tax law is the homestead classification, and no one who isn't a true resident of Lake County should be attempting to claim one. That is my personal view and mine alone. I am certain is not shared by others.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The fact his Lake County taxes get mailed to his Minnetonka address is a testament to Mule's point.

yuk
Rookie Poster
Username: yuk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can tell you that Broin is the big city man come to save all the poor dumb locals. I have known him for a year. He will feed you shmit with a spoon and expect you to lap it up.

bassman

Post Number: 960

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote of the Day

"A few days ago, I was having breakfast with my wife, my 91-year-old mother-in-law and daughters, 17 and 13. On TV there was a news report about the financial situation in Greece. Out of the blue, my 13-year-old said, 'This is going to be us pretty soon.' I almost dropped my fork. This is an eighth-grader" -- Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a likely Republican presidential candidate

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 13 year old girl who doesn't have a clue? No big news there.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 814

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eighth grader? We talking about Sarah Palin here?
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 599

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One would also have to wonder, what eighth grader is not affected by their environment. Does she go to public school or private? Does she associate with other right wing conservative offspring? If that is all that she hears is how bleak our economy is, then she will echo that in her observations. I wonder if she happened to mention that our employment rate is the highest it has been in four years. Probably not.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I wonder if she happened to mention that our employment rate is the highest it has been in four years."

Don't worry, one of the talking heads on "Today" on Saturday morning corrected us all about the unemployment rate...the recent climb back to 9.9% is actually a GOOD thing, because the unemployment rate doesn't really measure new jobless claims (as we've all heard for decades), it measures people actively looking for work, so a climb in the rate means people are more "optimistic" about finding work and are getting out there looking for it.

And all this time I thought unemployment was a bad thing...

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 815

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it measures people actively looking for work,

That's how I have always understood it. That's nothing new.
How are you going to count people that have just dropped out?
Just leave it alone.

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster
Username: lloyd_christmas

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't heard anyone say the unemployment rate is acceptable. Take a look at the graph showing job losses under Bush and Obama. It is slowly getting better but according to all of the so called experts I see on TV they say it is gonna take 3-4 years before all of the jobs come back that were lost during the recession. The graph only goes until Jan of this year. In Feb there were 39,000 jobs added, March there were 230,000 added and April there were 290,000 added, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I also saw an article last week stating the revenues of the lab companies that do drug testing for companies has increased considerably over the last few months, meaning companies are beginning to hire again. Hopefully this trend continues and more people are able to find jobs, but the experts say the job market will continue to be a slow recovery.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-jobs-lost-in-the-bush-and-obama- administration-2010-2

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

job graph

Here is a current graph.
I'm starting to see these bumper stickers, "Take Americas back, 2010"
Where/what do they want to take America back to?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 816

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A lot of the jobs have simply left the country. We are hemorrhaging manufacturing jobs to the Far East. What is the answer? Should we make it harder of more costly to import? How about the products that were made here and now are made overseas? Should we put a tax on them to pay for the unemployment they have caused? When this type of thinking comes up, the few companies that export yell foul. Trouble is, if China is importing a product from us, they just start manufacturing it themselves and then start selling the same product to us at a reduced, subsidized price.
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bad thing in the jobs numbers is not the fact that some net new jobs are being created, but that this could only be accomplished by the large Federal Stimulus spending and trillions in bailouts and guarantees for banks and the housing sector. If the government bailouts are factored out, then the fundamental economy is in a full blown depression. The Federal Government is running out of the ability to keep borrowing and spending. The risk is that without government spending and guarantees, the economy starts to lose jobs or fail to create any new jobs.
Globalization is working, working to take as many jobs as possible out of America and in to low wage low benefit countries. Not just manufacturing is going overseas. Accounting, engineering, software design, legal services and management support jobs are leaving for lower wages. You can hire 4 qualified engineers in India for the price of one American. Corporations do not recognize nations or national interests, they work to improve the bottom line. So expect more or the same, only worse.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of job losses, the next big wave of job losses will be in the public sector. Cities, Counties and States are broke, many can't meet their pension and health care obligations to workers and retirees. Many have already cut employees, reduced hours and threatened to reduce pension and health care contributions. Some have already declared bankruptcy, and others are thinking about it. In bankruptcy you can void many union contract obligations, the courts will decide how far that process can go. But if jobs are few and far between, many laid of public employees are going to join the unemployment line. Teachers and school staff as well. Tax revenues continue to slide as pension obligations balloon. It's not going to be pretty the next few years in the public sector.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 817

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is one job I would like to see sent out of the country. I think that boarder states should pay Mexico to build and run prisons and non citizens should spend their prison time there.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my rant

re the federal spending of billiions to prop up the economy, this is nothing new and is somewhat predictable. If you look at the Great Depression, the government began a number of programs which involved the spending of large sums of money to make jobs for people and get them back to work - the most noteworthy of course being the WPA and the PWA, but there were at least a dozen other programs. People were getting back to work and getting a little money to buy food and pay rents. The biggest single thing though that got the economy rolling again was WWII and the incredible amount of money that then flowed through the economy. In absolute numbers of dollars it may not have been much, but when factored for inflation, the money was a very significant amount or percentage of the national economy - more than what is now being spent on stimulus spending. The national debt was immense, but the spending got us out of the financial depression. Men went to war and women went to work. We borrowed the money from ourselves, in the form of war bonds and savings stamps which were like tiny little bonds. Everyone had to tighten their belts and do without a lot of stuff. Food was rationed. Gasoline was rationed. Profiteers were investigated and prosecuted and frog-marched off to prison. Banking and investments were highly regulated and controlled by the government to prevent the kind of financial meltdown that brought about the depression. There were anti-trust laws to prevent any single entity from getting too much control of any aspect of the economy. The basic concept was preventing the formation of any monopolies or near monopolies. There were exceptions for the phone company, which was seen as a nationwide public utility, even though Ma Bell was very profitable. People were encouraged to save as much money as they could, and I remember that even in my grade school days after the Korean War, there were still savings programs for school kids... every Tuesday was Bank Day and each kid would bring 25 cents or 50 cents to school, to put into his or her own savings account, that paid 4% interest.

The wealthiest people in this country paid as much as 80% in federal taxes, and all corporations paid some level of income tax.

There is very little sacrifice going on right now, compared to what there was in the 30's and 40's. Corporations have zero loyalty to the US and have either moved (their legal address) offshore to avoid taxes altogether, or they have jiggered their finances in such a way that most large corporations pay less in taxes than you and I pay. It does not pay to have a savings account today, because you earn nothing and often have to pay a fee of some kind to the bank for the "privilege" of letting them loan your money (your savings) out to someone else at a high rate. Almost no one gets paid in cash any more, which means you have to have a checking account somewhere - and pay for that account.

I am really steamed about the financial support that our government has given to the banks and investment firms the past few years - the tail end of the Bush administration and the beginning of the Obama administration. These institutions were engaged in financial behavior that was never permitted before, and for good reason! I am steamed that so many companies have seen fit to export their enterprises (and jobs) overseas. I am really steamed that so many people see fit to blame organized labor for all of this country's woes. Just a couple of large banks have more financial resources than all of organized labor, put together! Organized labor is such a minuscule portion of our national economy right now, that it not even an actual factor any more. The labor union heyday was in the mid-fifties, and the economy was booming.

What is happening locally with our anti-tax governor is that while statewide taxes may not have been raised, expenses have continued to rise. Either taxpaid services have been cut or eliminated, or local governments have had to raise taxes in one form or another to keep up with the bills. We are seeing that with the upcoming school funding issue for operating expenses. The result is that taxes go up anyway, but the governor can claim it was none of his doing.

The fundamental rule is this... if you want something, you gotta pay for it. In the past Minnesotans have always been willing to tax themselves, knowing that the money was being well spent on things that were important to us. Now, we bitch when these things no longer exist because they have fallen to the budget axe - but we do not want to pay for them.

I have been seeing first hand what is happening in other states whose governors have taken the no new taxes pledge. Decrepitude and deficit. Things are decaying and falling apart, in efforts to cut spending, and debts are rising faster and faster because some expenses just can't be cut - but by god sir there will not be any tax hike to cover the increasing costs of everything. Minnesota is now in this club.

I'm on a roll, now, and so mad I could spit. The legislature is in the last few days of regular session, and the Big Issues are still not attended to. Our unmentionable governor who just wants to be president has only one response to anything happening in the state house - if a democrat sponsors it, veto it, whatever it is. If it involves taxes of any kind for any reason, veto it. I am at the point now where I say [bad word] it, shut down the whole state government, now! No cops, no highway patrol, no ambulances, no highway department, no schools, no jails, no prisons, no state senators and representatives - not one more state check of any kind to anyone for any reason, until the legislature gets its act together! I am sure the rest of us will then pay close attention to what is going on, and where the money is coming from and where it is going!
taking a deep breath...
tom koehler
and still angry

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.madeintheusa.com/

I hesitate on posting this web link because I've never purchased from it so do not consider this an endorsement only an interesting site to check out. Buyers beware.

I've searched tools, jeans, bike, snowboard, backpack (Duluth pack was the first company listed for backpack) and up comes companies with websites and phone numbers of companies that claim to sell products made in the USA. Most of the sites list how many Americans are employed.

Anyhoo interesting concept for a website and if you use it give us a review.

By the way I do try to buy locally first when possible, but sometimes you need the online option to get what you need. Love Two Harbors True Value. If they don't have it they can usually get it on their next truck on Tuesday.

sparky
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The legislature wants to pass a law allowing operating levies to roll over at the end of the term without another vote unless a petition of XXX amount of citizens sign it. Basically a negative yes. We forget to petition, levy keeps on going.

A different take on the state budget. Legislature claims no more money to cut, Pawlenty says yes. Had coffee with a state auditor yesterday, working offsite on his laptop. Showed me an example of waste. Arts scheduled to get almost $40MM and over $30MM is admin. There is something to get rid of, but then all the admin workers would lose the jobs. What do you do? Jobs have been created to create jobs and the state wants more tax money. Someone needs to step up and take a bullet for the cause of the taxpayers but you know that won't happen. Nobody will risk there political place to do the heavy lifting.

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 329

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/ab-stoddard/97603-nj-gov-sets-tone-for-us

At first glance it looks like NJ Gov. Chris Christie is making some moves that might put his political career in jeprody. I think this is a good thing. If a politician makes a decision based not on what is right, but does so based on poles and wanting to be re-elected nothing good will come of it.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 600

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one key element of government cutbacks and reducing taxes is that it paints a picture of conservativism that a few people are saying we need. The problem is this; the government is the largest employer in the country. If you cut government expenditures, you will cut jobs. If you have a job that puts groceries on your table, do you care if the money comes from the government or from a factory?

nat_sherman
Pro Poster

Post Number: 330

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone needs to feel the pain before it will get better. That goes for government employees, businesses, employees in the private sector, Wall Street, politicians, corporations. No one is immune.

We are all addicted to excess and that goes for government excess, private business excess, Wall Street excess and I need to have a big screen TV, but can't afford it excess. This is a global problem that starts at our personal kitchen tables. We all need to quit asking what's in it for me for a few years so we can get back to what's important.

I think of it as an alcoholic trying to dry up. They will go through terrible withdrawals where they see things that aren't really there. They want to give up every chance possible. After they get through those first few days of misery it gets easier. I said easier not easy. They need to take it a day it a time and keep focused on what's really important to keep from stumbling back into the bottle.

The world has become drunk on excess and we are all to blame including me and mine. We all need to dry up, but to do that we need to go through the DT's. I'm not economist, but maybe instead of bailing out wall street, AIG, GM we should have let them fail and have the government focus on helping out the little guy instead of the big guys.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are all addicted to excess

You said it all right there Nat.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1517

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say not to change the subject, but I heard a rumor yesterday that the Pharmacy at the clinic is for sale, anyone else heard that?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 821

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got the same thing from Dr. Josephs.
Just leave it alone.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 849

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a rumor
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1518

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now what and why?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 822

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was our home town facility is now a small part of a big business.
Just leave it alone.

webman

Post Number: 850

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF, The clinic and pharmacy have been part of a big business for many years now. A big business sold off the clinic in 2008 for financial reasons. The change in clinic ownership has made it possible for us to retain a viable medical practice in our home town. I don't know when or if the pharmacy will actually be sold, but I hope that whatever happens with whoever might buy it, it will continue to serve our community.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1519

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is my concern that we won't have a pharmacy here anymore.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 601

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have idea of the revenue generated by this pharmacy, but, there have been times when I have been there that there were as many as eight people behind the counter. This could mean one of two things. Business is good, or too much overhead.

webman

Post Number: 851

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Retaining a pharmacy in our area is very important to our community. I don't think anyone knows how the whole thing is going to shake out in the end, but I am confident that there will still be one in Two Harbors.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 823

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry about not having a pharmacy here. Walgreen's would move into town so fast it would make your head swim.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1520

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they want too, they were checking into Sonju's...but they want a corner lot only. I seem to remember that they wanted to go into the Landing, before it became that, but I might be wrong, but that was the rumor back then anyway.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 602

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't Superior Health have a pharmacy in Silver Bay also?

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 694

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes they do. At the old Mary Mac.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 603

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone heard the results of the vote on the school referendum?

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad to say for our children but the unofficial results are that all three failed.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/169150/group/homepage/

(Message edited by nightrider on May 19, 2010)

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations to the cheapskates....boy, we've got a lot of em.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! That was a big margin. I didn't expect it to be a run away defeat.
Let's face it, the political climate and the local economic climate have made tax increases 'out of the question'. Most everyone I talked to was going to be a 'no' vote. The question they brought up was the matter of our per pupil spending, they thought we were not being cheap skates if you compare our per pupil spending with other districts and our brand new school. I said after we voted the new school, that any attempt to levy an operating increase would be doomed. All the good will was used up in the new school fight. I voted yes for that school, we had to do it. But I know people who also voted yes and said that that was the end of their tax increase support. The way things are now, we will never see a majority vote for a levy increase until we have another economic boom, as if that is going to happen!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 828

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So that was what this vote was about? Who is a cheapskate and who isn't? And here I thought it was just a democratic process.
The new school was voted down how many times? Half a dozen? The school board has one strike against them; A lot of people are still irate over the new school.
Just leave it alone.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 82

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The school is built, I wish people would get over it. They voiced their opinion at the polls and you now have and have had for a while an entire new school board that was not involved with the new school. You also have a new superintendent and soon to be new principal which leaves no one left that was involved in building the school. They are doing their best to run the school but with state cuts etc. it is harder to balance the budget. It is sad that the so many people of this district are unwilling to help the schools educate our students.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 829

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just because it is a school doesn't mean that it has the right to have ever escalating amounts of money coming in. Do you think that because it is a 10 year referendum they will not be back asking for more for 10 years. Not so. What it means is; it will be on you taxes for 10 years. They can come back asking for increased funding every year for the life of the referendum. If they do not learn to scale back this year, they would have to learn next year or the following year or one of the years after that.
The school board is just damn lucky that they are not the ones paying for a new roof on their hockey rink.
Just leave it alone.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 695

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frosted? May I suggest that you educate yourself in the area of school funding???? ".......ever escalating amounts of money coming in....".

You seriously believe that????? I'm so angry I could spit. And not just at you. I should probably hold off on commenting until I cool off but I'm not sure when that will be.

Part of our problem in not being able to pass a levy is the number of people in the district who will forever continue to believe what they hear on the streets and in the coffee corners over reality. Instead of finding the balls to go to the source of information they chose to be mislead and uninformed. It's easy to sit at home and bitch with your buddies about issues but quite another thing to do the right thing and go out and get the right answers.

It's always a story of corruption and greed and misuse of funds that clouds our future. BULL !! ENOUGH OF THAT CRAP ALREADY!!! Nightrider is correct. The people that dug our educational hole are long gone. The new people ARE doing their damndest to keep us rolling. But that really doesn't matter does it? Because too many will keep holding the grudge. What sense does that make??? None.

Did anyone pay attention when the news stated that the MN Government has once again put off school funding? Did you catch that? ZERO money. Zero. The money the schools have been told they are getting is on a percentage basis. They'll get some now, MAYBE some more later, etc. How would you run your own home if that's how your income was? You can have $60,000 a year. But right now we can only be sure that you'll get $14,000. We'll plan on getting you another $10,000 in a few months but we aren't sure yet where we're going to get that money. THAT'S the reality of what the schools deal with. And, yes, I said SCHOOLS plural !! So many people in this district keep insinuating that it's just our districts poor use of funding. WAKE UP!!! We are one of only a HANDFUL of districts that doesn't have a levy already!!! So, quite simply.....our board has done a damn fine job of keeping our heads above water up to this point. They are bailing water like crazy from this sinking ship while others have been able to work with levy income. But not us!! They ARE doing a damn fine job or we would have sunk long before now! But...they have exhausted all of their efforts and we've once again crapped on the levy.

Sorry kids, you really aren't worth my few bucks a month. You're not worth $200 a year. You're not worth diddly. But get a good education anyway and grow up to take care of us in our old age. But if I were you, I'd remember how unimportant you were and maybe the payback will be sweet.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The school board is just damn lucky that they are not the ones paying for a new roof on their hockey rink. Doesn't the county own it? Doesn't the county charge for use of the ice or building to help pay for the up keep of the building and equipment?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1525

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the bottom line is, funding has been cut to schools, all over the country, and they all are struggling, so we can't blame our school district, start at the top!

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should probably hold off on commenting until I cool off but I'm not sure when that will be. Thank you tailspin for not holding off. What you said is 100% true and is is just so frustrating when people make comments about the school's finances and they have no clue what is really going on and won't even take the time to find out. It is easier to say "Screw It" and let someone else deal with it. The sad part of this whole thing that it is our kids, grand kids, nieces and nephews. that will suffer from us not willing to help them out.

Here is how the state balances their budget -- Delays $1.9 billion of state payments to schools from the current two-year budget into future budgets. This country will be nothing in 50 to 75 years without our children being properly educated to carry on and this is how we treat them is by holding back 1.9 BILLION dollars in school education. What the heck is this state and country coming to.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 604

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, so there is a delay in the state budgets. If the referendum had passed, would we then get a rebate on our taxes when the state released the money again?

Tailspin, you mentioned the voters should have contacted the people that know about the situation. Isn't that like asking your insurance agent what insurance you should buy?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 830

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't the county own it? Doesn't the county charge for use of the ice or building to help pay for the up keep of the building and equipment?

You are exactly right. The county owns the arenas. But it is plain you do not know some local history. Let me enlighten you;

Years ago, the district had a surplus. What did they do with it? They built 2 arenas. One here and one in Silver Bay. They did not spend it on education. They spent this huge pile of money on a sports program. So, now the school district owns 2 arenas. Then in later years, a moratorium was put on school spending. No more than a 10% raise a year. Well our, then, school board wanted more than the alloted 10% a year. So, they gave the 2 arenas to the county. So now they had the allowed 10% plus they had the yearly maintenance money that was all ready in the budgets. And the tax payer got taxed twice each year for arena maintenance ever since.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 605

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My memory is a bit vague, but, what I recall was that the school tax money was orignally derived from every section, within a township, that had the number six in it. Normally, there are 36 sections in a township, so 6,16, 26, 36, ended up as the schools budget. Obviously, there are problems with that arrangement today, but it did seem to provide good educations back then. Lake county could cough up money for the school district, or sell the tax forfeited land, to get it back into the tax roles.

mule
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is true that a LOT of people are still bitter about the new school. Knocking on doors and talking to people as a county employee working within the tax system, I think it's very safe to say that's the #1 spending comment I get from Joe and Jane Taxpayer. "Then they went and built that new school...." New school angst will not be going away any time soon.

There was a metric (bleep)ton of misinformation being passed around as gospel about the relationship between property values and school and county funding, etc. It's easier for many people to hold on to their "boogeymen" rather than to be bothered to learn the truth, really.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 696

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

homeontherange - more distrust? Paranoia? It seems rampant lately.

We voted for these folks that are on the school board. To get new people to run for vacant spots was like pulling teeth. NO ONE stepped up to the plate in most cases. Where were all of you when the need for help was great?

I ask questions of people that have the answers. I ask people that have knowledge and expertise in their field. Why would I ask a gardener what the best car to buy is? Why would I ask a teacher what the best shoes are? Duh.

AND....if there is such distrust of the people that have been busting their AS SES off to keep this district going, call around. Ask other districts how things are going. Ask friends and family who have taken an interest in THEIR childrens/grandchildrens, etc education and voted to pass a levy. Facts are facts.

Does everyone understand that part about delaying state payments to schools? That means the state isn't paying the schools the money that was budgeted for them. Not now anyway.

And again we flash back to the past with the whole arena issue. PAST. Done. Over. Not the issue. Things were a lot different back then. Every yesterday is different then our today. We can't change past mistakes or decisions. Can't be done. Hind sight = 20/20 and all that. So move on. Get a different frame of mind. Snap out of your anger and angst that you have with the past and all that happened or didn't happen back then. Live for what is right today. Right now. And help make the future better than the past.

The no voters should apologize to every student they see. Walk up to them, look them in the eyes and be honest. Tell them that you were one that voted no. Tell them they weren't worth the extra money to you. That you've already had your past and you're wallowing in it so they can screw themselves and their future cuz that's the way it needs to be.

I don't know what the district will do now. It makes me sad though knowing what might be lost. I wish it were different. I wish it could be. I wish people could be made to understand the reality that is NOW and that is the future. But, like my grandpa used to say (God rest his soul ) " in one hand and wish in the other and see what you have more of". LSSD #381 has a big pile of on it's hands now.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 831

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Spin, back at ya. The voters of Lake County have spoken. The referendum is in the past. Get a different frame of mind. Snap out of your anger and angst that you have with yesterday and all that happened or didn't happen back then. Live for today. Right now.
Just leave it alone.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 85

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF, cool it. Tailspin is trying to be part of the solution not part of the problem like some people. If the voters would have taken 5 minutes to think about the impact to the children instead of the little hurt to their wallet or their inability to let go of the past then I am sure there would have been more yes votes.

I have a hard time believing that all of those no votes did not have any children, grandchldren, nieces and nephews in school. If they did then why vote no and ***** over you own relatives education.

If it is OK for the state to say we are going to withhold 1.9 billion dollars or 27% of all school districts' budget and maybe some time in the future you will get it back can the school boards across the state then tell all their employees that they are withholding 27% of their salary because that is how much was withheld by the state and that you may or may not get that money sometime in the future.

The real problem is that school districts all over the state have lost 27% of the budgeted income and to make matters worse our school district needed a small increase in operating income via a levy and that was before the 27% lost of income. So where do you think they stand now. I would not want to be in their shoes.

I also find it strange that the city, county and state can increase their portion of property taxes, within some limit, without voter approval and they are all elected officials so why can't the school board levy additional money without voter approval? School boards are elected officials just like city councilors, county commissioners and state officials. If you don't like the job they are doing then vote them out of office next election.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 86

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The school board has made the hard decision. It will be a 4 day school week starting this fall.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/169189/

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/20263/

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 606

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nightrider, you may be right on. Vote them out! It is becoming very obvious that the current administration can not handle the situation. What concerns me is that the superintendent, admittedly, stated that being a former educator, felt that we should approve this referendum. There is the problem. We need fiscal managers to run the school district, not teachers.

As far as the four day week. Why not a 1 day week. Give all the students an assignment to create their reports based on xxx topics. Turn them loose on the internet to get their information. If it is not there, it doesn't exist. There is a million times more information on the web than there is in any classroom.

For future references, when you get a job, you will be searching the web as part of your job!! If you think not, I invite you to sit in my office for one day.

As far as sports go. My student is not, a hockey player, football player, track star, baseball player, basketball player, so why should I foot the bill for kids that are? My student wants to be a doctor. what are you doing about that???? Oh, you might say, we have a science, and biology, and math. Great, why don't you spend as much money on those subjects as you do on football, hockey, basketball, and baseball???

This school district along with every other school district in the state seems to think that we need to have a super football team or any other sport to be successful. Why don't they concentrate on the basics and educate students in the things that they will earn a living at, rather than the things that they will have fun at??? If this school district scrapped all of the organized athletics, how much money would they save? Sell the football fields to a developer, fill in the swimming pool. Turn the gymnasium into classrooms. You might find that the education levels of this district to improve.

Do not be surprised if you find a whole new school board over the next few years, and they may have the same view that I have just outlined here.

If you think we need to have sports program so your son/daughter can play hockey/football/basketball/baseball, etc. and if they don't they will move? Fine, move!

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 87

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Homeontherange, Don't mis-quote me, I was not suggesting that we vote out the current school board. I think that they are doing a great job under the circumstances and are much better at working together than the old board. My point in the last paragraph is that the local government is allowed to increase your taxes without a vote but the school board is not. They are both elected officials. I say let the school board raise taxes as needed within reason without voter approval and you as the taxpayer has the right to vote them out of office if you disagree with their decisions. That is how it works right now for city and county so just make it the same for the school board.

My kids were not interested in sports but I still think sports are part of the whole school experience. Selling the football fields is not an option, for one the school does not own the old field and second what developer would buy the new field that is right on top of a high school.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOTR, do you really think the only benefit of High School sports programs is to "have fun"? That is an incredibly naive attitude. As the father of a High School swimmer/diver, and husband of a coach, I can tell you the swimming program is incredibly important and fulfilling to the participants and their families, equally to the other sport programs. I've never seen you at a swim meet or any other sporting event. You should come on down sometime, but brace yourself, you'll have to pay to get in.
Those kids learn more life lessons in sports than they can ever think about learning in a classroom, but then apparently you think they dont learn anything there either. Turn them loose on the internet, thats got to be the stupidest idea I've heard yet. Its akin to paying the doctor with chickens. geeezzzz

The pool is always a target for the anti-school types. Remember, the pool is also the place in this town where most kids learn to swim, as a part of community ed classes. In the land of 10,000 lakes, where water recreation is king, I'd say a pool in a community is pretty necessary.

BTW, I've heard High School sports comprise 1% of the school budget. Can anyone confirm that? (sport fess are $175) Thats a real bargain if true.

(Message edited by todd r on May 20, 2010)

Pro Poster
Username: newbie

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well HOTR, I will move.

This is the decision that my wife and I have made. Luckily we have a few years to organize our selves and find new jobs in the same location at the same time (not easy) sell our home and leave TH.

Our five year experiment in TH has been interesting. It is a beautiful town and there are some nice people, but if you haven't been here for generations and are interested in looking toward the future, then the people here don't want you. I really feel for those that continue to work and try to make this a real community.

I had never lived in a "small town" before, so I don't know if this is what it is like everywhere, but the levy vote just baffles me. This is very telling to my wife and I that we have no interest in raising our family here. It was a nice place to live for a family, but sorry, I can't be from here.

clearasmud
Regular Poster
Username: clearasmud

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newbie,

You have to do what's best for your kids. You have one shot w/your kids. My family and I lived in TH for 12 years; VERY recently moved. Local attitudes, "townie" politics and a VERY dismal future for young families (school district) played a colossal part in our decision to find new jobs, sell the house and plant roots elsewhere. I feel for you. TH was/is fantastic in many aspects; it abjectly FAILS on some critical ones. Frosted's slogan sums it up best: "Two Harbors. Love it or leave it. Just leave it alone." People like us will just have to leave it. I can guarantee that if their was something analogous to a school levy for the PUBLICLY FUNDED golf course, many of the NO LEVY crowd (including Frosted) would have voted YES YES YES! Your dealing with the "what's-in-it-for-me crowd." You'll never win w/ folks that have the foresight of a rear view mirror and the analytical skills of a box of cereal. We have A LOT of life-long friends in TH...and will visit often, but residency is NOT an option for us "futurists." Good luck...the best decisions are sometimes the most difficult, but are the most rewarding in the long run! v/r

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it is interesting to read what new comers to town think. Seriously, it is a view point we don't often hear. So I respect what you two have said. If you are able to move to town, then you are very lucky. Most people have to move away from town as there is no work here. So you are members of a small select group if you can find a decent job and move in. If you move to a small town it's best to know that there is a culture in place there already. And if you come to change things and shake things up to the way you think it should be, expect some push back. All this has nothing to do with the school levy.
And if you know American history, you would know that TH is a rust belt city, a shadow of the industrial town it once was. Schools were easy to fund with the jobs and tax base, all that is gone. The people who have lived here for generations are survivors. You might not be aware of that fact. And no, employers are not coming to town. They are not coming to any town, they are headed overseas. Blame that on somebody else. We can adopt any attitude you please, it will not bring one job here.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 832

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well said, Jack. People like this town and they move in. Then they proceed to try and change things so TH will be more like the place they escaped from. That is why I say; Love it or leave it but leave it alone. The people that have lived here all their lives like our little town. We don't want it to be like the Twin Cities or St. Cloud or anywhere else. If you don't like it, vote with your feet
Just leave it alone.

clearasmud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WELL SAID FROSTED! Despite living in TH for over a decade, I ain't no local I recon (although my offspring were born/grew up here)...and TH don't need no changes... no siree. Like you said ma'am..."people like this town and they move in." AND THEN...they spend their freaking money all over town...have babies and try and call TH home! New folk should be grateful for ONE DAY A WEEK OF SCHOOL!!! Ya'all fools, you new folk ... don't try and change noth'n...we "locals" will handle the change around here...See ya on the public golf course! FOUR!!! (days of school a week)....lol.

Thanks for making my point Frosted...and helping "escapees" like me (who grew up in a very small town by the way) see the light and move on! YOU ROCK FROSTED!!! GOOD LUCK ON THE LINKS!!!

"...TH will be more like the place they escaped from." REALLY? SERIOUSLY? Maybe by moving I "escaped TH."

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 833

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, mud, your right. I do come across as a dip and perhaps I am. It's too bad that you have decided to leave our town. But you have to try and see things from the view of someone who has been watching things around here for many years. Believe it or not, there have been a lot of changes in this little town. A lot of things changed that were not that good. Most of them may seem like small things, but when you lump them one on top of the other they grow bigger. A few of them were big, in my eyes. Things like the lose of our public, outside skating rink, the lose of all a big part of the shore line around our town, the lose of the slides, one of the wonders of our area and the lose of a high school that held so many memories for many of us. Things that probably mean little to anyone else, but important to me. So, when change is proposed, I have a gut reaction to dig in my heels. Not that anyone cares what I am for or against.
So, I am all for someone coming to our town and loving it, but please leave it as you found it.
One more thing, mud, don't think for one minute that I did not bitch about the local taxes going for the golf course, cause I bitched plenty.
Just leave it alone.

clearasmud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF,

Don't get me wrong, I was never a proponent of turning TH into something it isn't. In fact I was one of the original Operation Lighthouse Shield people (I actually was the one that came up with the name). I also wanted the old school renovated...but am ok with the new school. My "fight" has always been preserving the "good life" versus going BACKWARDS. Sensible long-term investments that benefit the majority versus the short-duration "orgasmic" ones that benefit the few. Yes...I view education as one of those sensible investments. The reality is that the folks that REALLY care about the schools are the ones you want to retain and attract - just my opinion. I can't help but think the NO votes are mostly cast out of spite and NOT due to financial hardships - again, just my opinion (only the soul of the voter really knows). On a per parent basis, the cost of one day of day care per week will dwarf the cost of the levy. Maybe though that is the problem, parents are a dwindling demographic w/ much less political influence now...this coupled with an increasingly and proportionally larger population of apathetic, cynical and vindictive voters will surely be the death of "quality" public education. Tea Party anyone?

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

clearasmud, You make some good points about support for public education. There is plenty of support for education, it is the public education that has lost support. Just listen to republicans, the tea party is more extreme, but both see public education as government overreach. Private schools with quality based on parent's ability to pay is more up their alley.
In our district, there are plenty who opt out of TH schools. Home schooling and the options in Duluth attract plenty of families. People who leave the TH schools behind are not going to support public education. This is not the era of the 50s and 60s when support for public education was iron clad.
Government funding problems have opened the door for anti public education forces to "never waste a good crisis". By that I mean budget crisis on state and local levels gives them a chance to further weaken public education. We are not all in the same boat anymore. The culture wars and the desire by the "well to do" to opt out of public education is a fact of life. The Tea Party gang are a complete 'every man for himself' crowd.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 834

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I admit that a dislike of having a new school may be a large factor in my negative vote. When the new school referendum went through, I as much as wiped my hands of it. One thing that irked me was the way it kept coming back for a vote until it passed. I often think that when this is done another vote should be taken in case anyone changed their mind. I mean, why should they be allowed to keep coming back until they get the answer they want? Back to the money vote, perhaps I made the wrong choice. As far as this town going backward because of a poor education; The more educated a child is, the more chance they will move from the area. Actually, if you want the young people to stay here, under educate them. Perhaps there never was a good education here. We are always told that good schools will attract industry. Evidently we never had good enough schools or education here.
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF, My experience with a THHS education was fairly typical. It was only when I left the area for bigger things that I learned a B and C average at THHS put me in the top 10% on all the military and civilian aptitude tests. I think we compared very well with most typical public schools around the nation. My friends that went on to college and then the professions had great success with their THHS educational backgrounds. They stepped right into the math, science, engineering, medical and law fields. I have to give our school high marks for what they were doing back in the 60s. I've no idea how we stand now.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 835

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, Jack. It was, kinda, tongue in cheek. People trot out the cliché that we need good schools and education to attract business. What better sign of a good school than a good education? I wonder why business hasn't shown up yet. I am thinking that in years to come the availability of water will be a draw.
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bingo FF! Maybe not in my lifetime, but the water will be a draw. But when that day comes there will be huge claims on the resource and Lake Superior is international. It once was only good as a sewer and dumping site, in future it will be more valuable than oil. But who will get the profits from it? Not TH residents.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are right, but don't take clean, abundant water for granted. There are forces conspiring against it as we speak.
Our political representatives are salivating to bring to Minnesota's Arrowhead, the most destructive type of mining that has contaminated (heavy metal, acidification) more water than any industry ever known on the planet. This is Sulfide, or Copper-Nickel mining. The claims are, the Duluth Complex will rival the Sudbury, Ontario and Norilsk, Siberia deposits, wehich are the 2 biggest developed mining districts in the world.
Tens of thousands of acres have already been leased by our state to Canadian and international mining interests on 50 year terms, in St Louis and Lake Counties alone. Hundreds of thousands of mineral rights lie in private control, mostly, RGGS Minerals who bought all of US Steels holdings. Oh, they acknowledge their ugly past but they claim to have new technologies now, that will prevent the disasters of the past happpening here in our water rich environment. Just take a look at the Gulf of Mexico to see how that plays out in real life. The US EPA recently gave Polymet the lowest ranking it can give, and deemed its EIS as environmentally unsatisfactory.
So dont think that just because its here today, it will be here tomorrow.

charlie_t
Pro Poster
Username: charlie_t

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe it is time for a transplant like me to leave. How sad for me, if the lake will be orange, the school can't teach, and you can't get your prescriptions filled, it kind of seems like this town is a nice place to visit occasionally. Just drink bottled water . . .

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 837

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just sit tight, Chuck. The lake will not turn orange, the school will still be teaching and you will get your prescriptions filled.
Just leave it alone.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an eye opener, directly related to my post from Sunday night.
http://www.minnpost.com/community_voices/2010/05/24/18358/is_anyone_protecting_m innesotas_waters

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 607

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What could be worse?

They could discover oil under the lake bed!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 536
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If not oil, then saltwater. Deep wells in this region are notorious for being salty. For some reason, a company might want to drill a deep well in or near the Lake, and accidentally hit an artesian saltwater well. Thirty years ago, the water at Lakeview Castle was undrinkable. It was salty. They had to put in some spendy equipment to make their water drinkable. I know it is just one very small example - but it is also just across the road from the lake. Imagine the possibilities.
tom koehler

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration