Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * National Issues. < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 825

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In answer to Lloyd after my post about illegal boarder crossing in the Humor section.

Lloyd wrote:"Flakes you are getting me worried, your starting to sound like the quitter Palin. I hope your not gonna start talking about death panels now.}

Sorry Lloyd, but I do not consider illegal immigration to be a political football. At this time it is plain to see that the liberals want a blanket amnesty. Didn't work years ago and won't work now. After we secure the boarders is when we should start talking in that vain. There are a lot of good people that are entering illegally, but there are a lot of problems coming in too.
We, as a country, do not owe the people of Mexico, or any other country, a better life. Yet there are those that would have you believe that we do. There has to be a time when we say enough is enough. I am a little upset that Obama's aunt has been in the country illegally for years. She was told to leave the country years ago, instead she took up residence in Boston's public housing. This kind of thing must be stopped.
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1521

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said "we, as a country do not owe the people of Mexico, or any other country, a better life". NO we don't, we owe ourselves a better life, worry about us for a change.

Interesting, didn't know Obama's aunt was in this country illegally, so I looked it up, sure enough. Well if that just doesn't top it all!

jackburton
Pro Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open borders are a boost to business. It allows big and small business to hire illegals at low wages and no benefits. Republicans under Bush ran a 100% open borders policy to aid their campaign contributors. Under Obama nothing has changed, because the same businesses fund the democrats. No we don't owe Mexicans a better life, but we do owe American business cheap labor with which to drive down wages for working Americans or simply fire the Americans and hire illegals. Why are the borders open and left open? American business demands it. And both political parties are funded by business.
If you think the recession is over, get a load of this. One of the top bank analysts in the country has estimated that State and Local governments as so in debt and underfunded that in the next 12 months between 1-2 million state and local government jobs will be eliminated to balance government budgets. Adding that many formerly well paid people to the unemployment roles will force the economy deeper into recession. And things may get worse after the next 12 months. Tax revenues continue to sink and costs of funding unemployment and welfare rise. Formerly secure jobs in city, county and state government, including teachers are going to be disappearing. Maybe even in TH and Lake County.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 827

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now there is this young woman going to collage in, I think, Georgia. She gets stopped for a traffic violation and asked to produce her drivers license. Said she didn't have it with her and when asked the next day to produce it, admitted she didn't have one. Now it turns out this collage student is in the country illegally. Has been since she was twelve. Bleeding heart ACLU lawyer says she should be able to stay because she has been here so long she is basically an American.
What the hell? ACLU will shove every law down your throat except when the law doesn't serve their purpose. Then it's ignore the law and do what they think is right. If you are in this country illegally, you are breaking the law. In this case this young woman has been breaking the law for 10 years. And, by the way, she drives with no license. She's a skoff law. Out she goes.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1522

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Illegal gets us big time. I probably have posted this before, but going to do it again as it ticks us off more than you know.
Hubby couldn't get Medicare because he didn't have his quarters in, so he had to buy it, and believe you me it wasn't cheap. But, illegals can come in this country and reap benefits that we should be entitled too, as we were born, raised and worked our A-s off, for what, to get the shaft. No they get % of things free, that just isn't right.

Heck no the recession isn't over, it took 8 years to get where it is, it will be a long road back, and if people can't realize that, well!!!

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are illegals really coming here and reaping all these benefits? I question the validity of the alleged long list of benefits they appparently get for nothing. I think a lot of it is urban legend.
I agree with Jack, that the consumption of the American consumer demands low cost goods produced by their labor. If we sent them all back, the same people complaining about the illegals today would be complaining about the cost of goods and services without them. Its an incredibly complex issue, and any one who says its black and white is kidding themselves.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1523

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.personalliberty.com/government/how-much-do-illegal-immigrants-really- cost-the-united-states/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1524

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took this off the Medicare site.

Overview
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) administers Medicare, the nation's largest health insurance program, which covers nearly 40 million Americans. Medicare is a Health Insurance Program for people age 65 or older, some disabled people under age 65, and people of all ages with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure treated with dialysis or a transplant).

Welcome to the Medicare Eligibility Tool
This section of the site is designed to provide you with information about your Medicare eligibility and enrollment. You will be asked to answer a series of questions. The number of questions, as well as the questions themselves will be dynamic based on your answers. Once we have collected enough information, we will display detailed information tailored to your specific situation. Please note that Social Security will make the final decision on your eligibility and enrollment status.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. continuously for a five-year period, please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 for your Medicare enrollment and eligibility.

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 891

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

British Petroleum: Some solutions to the oil on shores...how about they hire every able bodied person across this nation & maybe Mexico too, have them trained to clean up the mess by specially trained trainers - maybe the National Guard, give them the tools and equipment and put them to work in droves ASAP. Make the wages punitive to bp which would be a great reward for the workers. Unemployment would go down, income taxes would get paid and the mess could begin to get cleaned up and animals and habitat potentially saved or lessen the blow.
Also, I don't know if it's being done, but we should ask for help internationally - maybe the Norwegians have equipment and technology they could bring over to help with this urgent disaster. I sure hope they succeed in capping it. We'll find out soon. The Hibbing manufacturer of the peat/organic absorbant should be producing as much as possible and it should be getting used as much as possible. This is the worst thing that's happened yet - although only 11 lives were lost, a tradgedy in itself - thousands if not millions of livelihoods will be lost not to mention the vast array of creatures who won't know what hit them. Damn corporate greed to hell.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 892

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I'm on my own...? No comments on this????

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're not on your own, little horse. I'm so angry I could ... well, I'm angry.

With the opportunity for great profit is the equal chance for great loss. BP has gambled and lost this toss. If any one of us did something that ended up costing the nation a great deal of money, we'd be tossed in the clink and all of our financial resources would be forfeit. Now, BP is trying to wiggle off the hook, saying it was Transocean's fault, or it was Haliburton's fault. Well, That argument is filled to the top with the usual smelly article from the back end of a bull. If it were not for BP, none of this would have happened. BP caused the Transocean rig to be there and BP caused Haliburton to be there. BP's policies created the industrial environment which made this accident possible. BP should be on the hook for cleaning up this mess. If their gamble had paid off, they would be producing oil from the second largest oil pool on the planet!

The federal government has spent many millions of dollars on this spill, and the state of Louisiana has spent a big pile of money as well. BP must ultimately be required to pay back every dime spent by anyone, in the cleanup of this mess. This could be the financial ruin of BP, and that is appropriate. It will send a message to all other companies engaging in risky behavior, that shortcuts do not pay. There is no such thing as a company that is too big to fail. It is the nature of our free enterprise system of business that other companies will quickly snatch up the broken pieces and the workforce, and life will go on.

Every executive at BP should be on the beach with the same (lack of) protective clothing as the other workers on the ground, cleaning up this mess. Eleven rig workers died in the fire and blast. Many others were injured. Countless workers now engaged in the cleanup are having serious health problems and more health issues will crop up in the near future, all directly related to this spill - this gamble that BP took, to cut a fat hog in the a$$. Families and businesses that depended on the Gulf have suffered losses and ruin. Those BP executives should end up with the same crappy life that others will be forced to have, simply because they had the bad luck to live where they do.
tom koehler

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've got to watch this video.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0527/1979-nbc-news-report-gulf-oil-spill-2010-maddow /

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster
Username: lloyd_christmas

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom I think many people share your anger both on the left and the right. I find it pretty disgusting that there are two Republican Senators (Inhoff of Oklahoma and Murkowski of Alaska) blocking Democrats attempts to raise the liability limit of companies responsible for these oil spills. I guess we know who these two work for. The way I understand it, is after the Valdez spill, Congress encacted a $75 million dollar cap on what these companies would have to pay out in damages to people who had their livelihoods ruined because of an oil spill disaster. If you take into account the devastation this spill is going to take on the economies of the gulf region, $75 million is going to be a drop in the bucket. How many jobs and businesses are going to be lost because of BP's negligence? There is no way that $75 million is going to be enough to compensate these people.

I loved seeing Carville making the rounds this past week demanding the DOJ haul the bigshots of these 3 companies involved in this disaster, before a grand jury to look into the criminality of this explosion. I think it is time for Obama to put his money where his mouth is regarding change and start to prosecute these big energy companies for their crimes. And while the DOJ is at it, they should start looking at these coal barons and haul that Blankenship character in, who heads Massey Energy, the company that violated numerous safety regulations that probably caused the deaths of the latest coal miners who died. Things are never going to change until some of these bigshots start going to prison. Fines don't seem to work with them. They have more money than God.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Extensive minereal deposits of iron, copper, gold, cobalt and lithium have been found in Afghanistan, to the tune of an estimated trillion dollars.

We will not be leaving Afghanistan any time in the forseeable future. This war-torn third world nation is now the new prom queen with suitors from all over the world, seeking the next dance. Of course, we will be expanding our presence there, hoping to take this one home for the night.

tom koehler

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think lithium is the new oil. The push for electric cars will make that happen.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 841

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is funny, Tom, that you speak of Afghanistan as a third world nation. We are a third world nation now. When foreign nations come to your country to manufacture, mine for minerals and drill for oil, you are a third world nation.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, yeah, we are no longer a manufacturing nation. We provide raw materials to the rest of the world and import them back as finished goods. But, we have more than 10 teams in the Big Ten. That has to count for something, right?

Originally, first world nations were the industrialized nations of the planet, which were not under Soviet influence. Second world nations were the Soviet bloc. The third world was everyone else. Basically. All that is topsy-turvy now.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 844

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We be screwed.
Just leave it alone.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The push for electric cars will make that happen.

The drive to market this resourse will be the push for electric cars!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 963

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 02:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thing are tough for most of us and yet Obama doesn't seem to get it....

Entire Taj Mahal Hotel Reportedly Booked for Obama Mumbai Visit
Published October 24, 2010

FoxNews.com

President Obama's aides have booked the entire Taj Mahal hotel ahead of the president's high-profile visit to the Indian city rocked by a terrorist attack two years ago.

The newspaper reported that the Obama administration has reserved all 570 rooms, as well as the hotel's restaurants, to ensure airtight security when the president and first lady Michelle Obama visit Mumbai early next month. Dozens of other rooms have been booked elsewhere in the city.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/24/entire-taj-mahal-hotel-reportedly-boo ked-obama-mumbai-visit/

Would you think that Obama and wife would understand sensitivity? Do you think they might empathize with the tens of millions of people who are being shredded by Obama s ignorance? Not a chance.

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-phoenix/india-obama-books-entire-taj-mah al-570-rooms-and-all-banquet-and-restaurant-f

bassman

Post Number: 964

Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perfect Muslim Soldiers

Islamofascism: O'Reilly, Whoopi and Joy are all wrong. The 9/11 terrorists weren't "Muslim extremists" or just plain "Muslims." A liberal newspaper reporter says they were model Muslims.

More precisely, they were "perfect soldiers" for Allah, says Los Angeles Times national correspondent Terry McDermott.

He would know. After traveling to the hometowns of the Muslim hijackers and investigating their family backgrounds, McDermott discovered they were not heretics or even "extremists," but in fact good, pious Muslims. And their families and communities encouraged them to join the never-ending Islamic holy war, or jihad, against us.

The lefties at NPR who fired analyst Juan Williams and the cackling hens on "The View" who walked out on his Fox colleague Bill O'Reilly would benefit enormously from reading his book, "Perfect Soldiers: The Hijackers: Who They Were, Why They Did It." It would open their PC-encrusted eyes to a truth that is already self-evident to most Americans.

The detail-rich book which is endorsed by anti-war gadfly Seymour Hersh, no less reveals that the 19 hijackers did not "hijack Islam," as conventional East Coast wisdom would have it. They weren't career criminals using the religion as an excuse to wantonly murder people. Nor were they misled into martyrdom by Osama bin Laden or other Svengali personalities.

On the contrary, they were deeply religious Muslims following the tenets of their faith, McDermott found. Most of them were from well-off families.

"Several were described as among the best boys bright, respectful in their towns," he reports in his book. "Many had gone to university," he adds. "Three had studied Islamic law." At least one, Ahmed al-Haznawi, had memorized the Quran, a sign of deep devotion much respected by Muslim elders. In fact, he earned the honorary religious title of "hafiz" at a young age.

McDermott describes how another hijacker, Wail al-Shehri left home to train for jihad in Afghanistan after a long period of recitation of Quranic verses. He had the approval of a local imam.

But he wasn't the only one who knew what they were planning. "Two-thirds of them told their families they were leaving to join the jihad," McDermott writes, adding that their families did not discourage them. "They went where they were called by their religion."

That's not the story we heard after 9/11. In media interviews, the parents of the hijackers expressed shock about the deeds of their sons. We must have the wrong men, they insisted. Their boys could never do such a thing. Jihad? What jihad?

Take Egyptian Mohamed el-Amir, father of 9/11 ringleader Mohamed Atta. Right after 9/11, he denied knowing anything about his son's activities. Then in 2005, after the London bombings, he confided to a CNN producer in his apartment in the upper-class Cairo suburb of Giza that his son had done a good thing and that the London suicide bombers were following in his footsteps. He said all this was just the start of a 50-year religious war, and that there would be many more fighters like his son.

El-Amir, a "skilled lawyer" by McDermott's account, declared that terror cells around the world were a "nuclear bomb that has now been activated and is ticking." He passionately vowed that he would do anything within his power to encourage more attacks.

Instead of mouthing tolerant-sounding platitudes and misleading their audiences about the true nature of the threat we still face, Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar and NPR's executives should educate themselves. They can start with McDermott's "Perfect Soldiers," which punctures the politically correct mythology surrounding 9/11

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=551530&utm_source=feedb urner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EditorialRss+%28Editorial+RSS%29

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 865

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn, I hate to admit this;
Obama is a (a small female cat), pure and simple. He's turned out to be a (a small female cat). When he was elected, I envisioned great things coming, but now I have to take a different stance. The country is falling apart and he can see no further than some social issues he is interested in. Here we have the Rebub's and, worse, the tea party making all these allegations, some true but most not. And what does he do? Nothing. He has done nothing to educate the voters. Bush is on the TV right now talking about his book. He is admitting that the economy fell apart under his regime and he admits to initiating the bank bail out. For the past 2 years we saw ad after conservative ad on the TV putting all on Obama's door step. He does nothing. No wonder a bunch of know nothing voters think it is all his fault. No wonder the recent election went as it did. He is a (a small female cat), pure and simple and he has got to go. He has no back bone for a fight. F him.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1635

Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

}He had his chance to prove himself, and it never happened. Lots of people feel the same way.}

jackburton
Pro Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obama was carefully chosen by the Democratic Leadership Council. That is short hand for Big Business and the Bankers. He got elected and has carried out a continuation of the Bush agendas, minus a few social issue bones he threw to liberals. "Don't ask don't tell" as an example.
He has continued the fiscal policy of Bush and kept the financial team from Bush. He kept the military team from Bush.
Obama was so in the pocket of Big Business that he feared even choosing his own team. That tells you all you need to know. He caves to everything the republicans demand because he is really just another Big Business advocate. Off Shoring Jobs? He is for it. Continual war and out of control war spending? He is all for it. Open borders illegal immigration? He is all for it, because it serves business desire for cheap labor.
On and on it goes. I'de vote for a dead cat before I'de vote Obama again. I would never vote again as long as I lived before I'de vote Republican.
This much is sure, after a few years of Republican rule, we will all be poorer and the rich will be all that much richer. The Class Warfare is over, the rich won that battle years ago. The middle class is just so much toast.

charlie_t
Pro Poster
Username: charlie_t

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We now as a nation return to the Bush Reagan years, I guess, with Tea Party enthusiasm. Be afraid,fiscal conservatives.

I myself will return to the Clinton era and pretend that government works for all and that we pay for what we buy. And - yeah, we sin and are forgiven.

Obama made mistakes, but did Bush? Reagan? Clinton? Kennedy? All but Bush and Kennedy (due to premature death) learned some tough love about running the USA, CIA, and the Corpocracy, and Obama will too. But America is no longer "exceptional", we're far behind most Asian countries in education and infrastructure.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 866

Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now the Republicans are threatening Social Security. They are not going to do anything. But they are going to make everyone so afraid of it that we will all be happy that all they did was extend the tax cut for the big boys. Smoke and mirrors.
Just leave it alone.

bassman

Post Number: 966

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fury over couple's website vote on whether they should keep or abort their unborn child

Perfectly healthy foetus, nicknamed 'Wiggles', is 17 weeks old

Pro-life groups liken vote to 'thumbs down' mob rule of the Roman Colosseum

Parents say they'll abide by majority vote
More than half polled say 'have the abortion'

A married couple has sparked fury by setting up a website to let the public vote on whether or not they should have an abortion.

Pete and Alisha Arnold, both 30, say they launched www.birthornot.com because they are unsure if they want to be parents.

They believe the controversial poll so the public could 'make a difference in the real world'.

The couple, from Minneapolis, have uploaded regular scan images of the foetus, which is a perfectly-healthy boy they have nicknamed 'Wiggles'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...l#ixzz15kzmzCxz
=====================================================================

What is this world coming to???

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, I think that if this couple has such a casual attitude towards their baby and impending parenthood, they definitely should not have a baby or be parents and are in some way unfit and undeserving to bring a child into this world.

Would you then force this woman to continue with this pregnancy, knowing that she will likely not take necessary care of herself during this pregnancy?

Would it be better if she carries through with the pregnancy, maybe having no concern for abstaining from alcohol and other drugs while pregnant, raising the odds of permanently damaging this baby's mental and physical capacity - or aborting right now?

Will you bear the burden of raising this very possibly child who should not be raised by these people? I know that you are opposed to abortion. Do you never consider the possibility that in some cases it may be worse to not have an abortion?

I'm not trying to get your dander up - am asking for your opinion, please.
tom koehler

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is what was in the StarTrib about this today.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/109336629.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4 O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUvckD8EQDUr

bassman

Post Number: 967

Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first Thanksgiving Proclamation

Well worth reading the entire article....

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_112410/content/01125113.guest.html

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rush Limbaugh, and "well worth reading", cannot fit within the same conversation.

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 628

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rush wants to bring church and state together. Whose church, yours or mine? Whose God, yours or mine?

Lets bring our religion into politics so that we can have governments like Iraq, and Iran, or even Northern Ireland. Scary thought.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

bassman

Post Number: 968

Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I expected the above comments regarding Rush, but how about your comment on what George Washington had to say???

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Washington was a religious man. He was expressing his religious views. It is one thing to express one's religious views, and quite another to legislate those views for the nation. Washington was also a wealthy man who owned a lot of land and slaves. Slavery is anathema to Christianity. So, we have a wealthy slaveowner who is also our national President, expressing his views and his gratitude towards the god he worshipped. Presidents still do this, and it is not remarkable, nor is it evidence that the United States of America is officially a Christian Nation.
tom koehler

bassman

Post Number: 974

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minnesota Under Attack From Sharia Law

Actual evening newscast from Minnesota Fox News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vItJqpQ8U

This is the United States of America, and not Somalia or any other place under Sharia law.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 874

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None sense!!! A few cab drivers don't want to haul a drunk, some clerks don't want to touch pork. And from this you get; "Minnesota Under Attack From Sharia Law." Do you see laws being changed? Do you hear about stoning's taking place? Perhaps a thief gets his hand cut off? Any other Religious maiming's handed down by the courts? It's utter none sense. Just people wanting to live by their religious beliefs. If they can not do a job because of religious beliefs, let them go, but do not come across saying; " Minnesota Under Attack From Sharia Law." You see drivel like that on Fox News and the sky is falling? The only problem I see here is, possibly, someone drinking a bit too much of the Fox News grape Kool-ade.

(Message edited by frosted_flakes on March 10, 2011)
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 637

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always consider the source.

Now that someone is posting the Fox news on YouTube, does that make it more relevant?

Does Fox news need to post their articles on YouTube to become more creditable?

Or perhaps someone saw this news article for it total stupidity and decided to share it on YouTube.

You decide.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The issue with the cab drivers is a couple years old. A couple years ago one of the news stations down here, did a story on Muslim cab drivers that serviced the MSP airport, who were refusing to transport anyone that was carrying alcohol. They were told that if they refused a customer, they had to return to the back of the line which meant they could have an hour or more wait until the next possible fare. Problem solved. MSP is run by a government agency, Sharia law coming to MN, what a bunch of BS. Just more of the far right and their media arm of Fox trying to scare people. If you hear it on Fox, you may want to check some other sources before believing it. Forgot to add also, that was not from the local Fox network here in the cities. That was from Fox News, the network that has all those objective journalists, like Hannity, Beck and O'Reilly.

(Message edited by Lloyd_christmas on March 13, 2011)

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NEWS YOU WON'T HEAR ON FOX:

Just recently both the ACLU of MN and the State of MN won a case against the Muslim school in IGH that was accused of promoting their religion with the use of taxpayer dollars. Both the state and the ACLU are demanding that this school pay their legal costs and other costs incurred. The ACLU is also demanding they return taxpayer dollars they have received. So now when we hear Hannity and the good Christian "Loofa Bill O" (google Bill O'Reilly, loofas and sexual harassment case if you don't know why he is called "Loofa Bill") tell us how all of us Christians and our religous holidays are under attack by those "evil doers" at the ACLU, remember they also go after other religions that violate the constitution.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/122991093.html

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 711

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just want to paste this here for future reference. Taken from an article in the Duluth News Tribune regarding MN law makers reaching a budget deal:

"The other plan delays $700 million in state payments to schools, freeing up the money for state programs."

So the next time we wonder why we have a 4 day school week or why the district keeps asking us to pass a referendum, let's remember this. It's not because our school is spending unwisely or that teachers are making too much money. It's because they aren't getting all their money to run the school.

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minneapolis needs more money to complete their bike path utopia.

bassman

Post Number: 989

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TSA

From scans to pat-downs, the TSA has its fans and detractors. But here is the 2011 year end report to Congress!

The Year 2011 is over. Homeland Security has provided their end-of-the-year statistics on airport screenings here in the United States It is truly amazing what those full-body scanners have shown.

* Terrorist Plots Discovered: 0
* Transvestites: 743
* Enlarged Prostates: 19,249
* Breast Implants: 209,350
* Colon problems: 27,298
* Natural Blondes: 3

bassman

Post Number: 993

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question: What have we learned in 2,064 years?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should
be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work, instead of living on public assistance."

- Cicero - 55 BC

Answer: Evidently-- nothing.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 656

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most of that happened by the end of end of 2000, then we got Bushwacked. If Cicero was alive today, he would be a democrat.

bassman

Post Number: 994

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Most of that happened by the end of end of 2000, then we got Bushwacked. If Cicero was alive today, he would be a democrat."

I think you need to get caught up in what has happened since then Tom:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/debt-increased-more-under-geithner-under-any-tre asury-secretary-us-history

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4831719-503544.html

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman you and the T-Baggers would have some credibility if you would have been worrying about the debt when Republican administrations were running the country. Here is a chart showing who actually has increased the debt the most since 1980. If you take an objective look at it, you will see it has been the Republican presidents who are most responsible for our debt problems.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/politicians/nationaldebt.asp

bassman

Post Number: 995

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lloyd, You need to read the dates under Snopes review on Barack Obama:
"Total Debt (As of the end of APRIL 2011)...

Try looking up the total debt as of the end of April 2012...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1824

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not into politics, but had to do some research on this, and was shocked. WOW
http://www.skymachines.com/US-National-Debt-Per-Capita-Percent-of-GDP-and-by-Pre sidental-Term.htm

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman the debt was about 15.6 billion on that date It also states in the snopes piece that previous programs (two wars and an Rx drug program that were not funded) put in place by preceding presidential administrations can affect the debt amounts. Below is a link to a graph that shows federal spending under each administration. If you look at the facts Obama is not the big spender you make him out to be. Obama has made mistakes but to try and say he is the sole reason for the debt is a fabricated lie. You are like the guy who torches his house and blames the fire department for not getting there in time to put it out. If you want to try and stir up a political argument why don't you see if Torg will let you put it on his forum. I don't think Brad wants a repeat of 08'.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/federal-deficit-barack-obama-spending -stimulus-budget-historic-trends.php

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1659

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really like the chart posted by Blondie. Kudos to her for finding it. The amount of debt per person is staggering.

It shows the debt by year and the debt as per cent of the GDP. Makes for interesting reading.

If you look at her chart the year 2000 ends with a $5.7 trillion debt. By the year 2008 it is at $10.7 trillion. An increase of $5 trillion in eight years. If you then look at the current debt clock http://www.usdebtclock.org/ the current debt is at $15.7 trillion. An increase of $5 trillion in just over three years.

The rate of increase in the last three years has become ridiculous. But it is not totally Obama's fault. Over spending by Presidents and unfunded mandates passed by congressional leaders from both sides of the aisle for decades lies at the heart of it. The recent dysfunctional bank bailout, unworkable stimulus legislation, payback to campaign bundlers through so called "green programs" and the rise in business stifling regulations have only served to increase the rate of rise.

The only reason that President Obama's percent of rise during his watch is low is because the grand total has gotten so big.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 913

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the new normal summer in the Arrowhead?? I'm gonna go broke paying elec bills for fans, ACs, dehumidifyers & the like. Anyone else think CLP is expensive? I do open the windows at night as soon as the temp outside is lower than the temp inside & so far that has been working well...looks like it's going to be a warm all night temp this week though. Just enough to fill the house up with muggyness, ahhh, summertime! Bzzzzt - swat!

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 658

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLP did raise their rates. They also raised the monthly meter charge. It used to be $16 per month, now it is $25. Based on last months bill, the basic charge is .119 per kilowatt, plus the Power Cost Adjustment adds another .015 per kilowatt, then of course add sales tax on top of that, so the total comes up to .145 per kilowatt. That PCA charge varies from month to month. I have seen it as high as .05 per kilowatt.

Read an article this week about the how the power companies are behind curve on energy prices. The price of natural gas, which a lot of power companies use to run their turbines, is very low right
now, but we may not see the benefit of that for perhaps another year.

May have to look into some photovoltaic panels.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1843

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got our city bill and it is higher than last month, sure it is because of all the fans we have running pretty much 24/7.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration