Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * Commentary and observation, local, chapter 3 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the BP spill dominating the news, I thought I'd check the polymet EIS to see how they are prepared for an oil or fuel spill.
I found the following 2 images. I know this looks like some kind of joke, but this is from the real supporting document, ER05 Preliminary SPCC Mine Site.

Is it any wonder we suffer industrial disasters like we are experiencing now?

truck

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the second image.

straw

Dang, I didn't mean to insert that red faced, growly guy on the thread. oops

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1536

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kevin Costner has something that works on the same principle of removing the oil and putting the cleaned water back out.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/kevin-costner-machine-bp-oil-clean/story?id=106 89928

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Costner's machinery is a giant version of the Sharples oil purifier used by the Navy at least since the time I was in, back in the 60's. This purifier also works just like the DeLavaal cream separator, used by dairy farmers for the past century.

Good system, works on centrifual force and the principle that oil and water don't mix. Is very effective.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 539
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good goshamighty! Looks like Lindstrom cartoons from the Duluth newspaper! Yer right todd, we're in trouble!
tom koehler

jackburton
Pro Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The economic situation is going down hill again. That could affect the taconite industry around here. The indicators look a lot like 2008 with Europe being the big drag this time. Markets expect a decline in steel demand, and that will hit the iron ore industry. Lots of signs that steel is going down from here. Not something NE Minnesota needs after the mini boom we had the last 12 months. Steel producers around the world have started some cut back due to weak demand.
The State of MN is deep in budget problems with their deficit. That means less aid to schools, less Local Government Aid. That can mean less public employment locally. The country is slipping back into recession. Maybe depression. Anyway you look at it, hard times are here to stay for a long time.

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 609

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A while ago there was a discussion about the extra charge on the electric bills. Some called it a PWR charge, my bill from CLP calls it a PCA. Power Cost Adjustment. Up until now I have never given it much thought. Today I dug out all of the past years bills from CLP to see exactly how this extra charge is applied.

The theory is that the cost of fuel to run the generator plants varies due to seasonal fluctuations. I would subscribe to that idea. But after looking at my bills, I have to take issue with it.

First of all the cost per kilowatt hour changes from month to month appears to vary dependent upon usage. During the highest usage month, the KWH charge was the lowest. I also found that the PCA charge followed the usage pricing and also was the lowest during the month with the highest usage, and highest during the month with the lowest usage.

So the thought that this PCA charge was to cover fuel costs is really a bunch of baloney.

By the way, my highest usage month was December, which is when I would think the highest cost for heating fuels would be experienced, and the lowest usage month was May, when the least amount of fuel for heating is required.

This pricing only leads me to believe one thing. The utilities are encouraging you to conserve energy, cut back, etc. The end result is, the less you use, the more they can charge for the kilowatts that you do use. Where is the incentive?

This may be a way of combating those that are considering or adding other alternative power sources, such as solar panels or wind generators. Your consumptions goes down, but the utility can charge more. When these systems are grid tied to the power company, any excess power generated that you don’t use is sold back to the power company, and they are obligated to pay you at the rate that you are billed at. I wonder if this includes that little extra fee for the PCA costs?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 840

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps the PCA cost is higher for low consumption times is because the power company must create enough power so, if called on, it can supply the wants of it's customers. You might say, to avoid a brown out.

In AZ I have a neighbor that has just installed solar panels. He claims that, there, the elect. company trades him a unit of his power for every unit of their power used, but pays just one half for any extra he may produce.
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 893

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need disc 2 of season four of Weeds. Anyone? I always return my borrowed items in a timely fashion. What good is our community if we can't borrow each others DVDs? Hee hee :D Can you tell I'm addicted to the show a little bit? Chyeah.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 894

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never mind...I found a supplier.
That sounds so wrong somehow...but, I'm pleased. Never mind bp. I could go on and on about that.

charlie_t
Pro Poster
Username: charlie_t

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Todd - thanks for those great drawings. I'm dumbfounded, of course, because it would be a great belly laugher in the right publication.

Not so funny in an EIS about the streams that I like to walk in to look for nature photos. I recall that day we walked down the creek and saw what a few people with no concern for the environment can do in a few years time. The toxic "oil" that this high tech "separator" is designed to "control" isn't some benign substance, like Wesson oil for instance, but a cocktail of acids and metals that kill for centuries. Our species needs therapy, and soon.

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, where do I sign up to be an illustrator? Looks like I have a real future with my talent! ;)

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 697

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So now we're back to a 5 day school week. So...that means we lose what? What has to be cut now?

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The state can mandate things but then not provide the funding for them.
What is coming next? Lawsuits to get a judge to order higher property taxes. It has happened already in some areas of the country. Education is provided by law, if the minimum education needs are not met according to the law, then some judge can order a tax increase to be put in place. I had knowledge of a district where this happened, but can't remember the link to it.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 846

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting things are going on in Duluth. I may have it all wrong, but it seems to me that there was this thing about not enough money and they had to close down schools. New Central in particular. Then there is this big spurt in building new and remodeling schools. Big construction going on at Orden. Much construction and remodeling going on at Denfeld, in fact they are closing that school for a year and the whole school is moving to "closed down" New Central. And, it is my understanding, they are building a new grade school and closing down the old one across the street.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 542
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a certain budgetary condition the school district can get into that is called Statutory Operating Debt. I've read the darned statute six different ways, but it contains key terms that I do not understand.

If the amount of the operating debt is more than 2-1/2 percent of the most recent fiscal year's expenditure amount for the funds considered under subdivision 1, the net negative undesignated fund balance is defined as "statutory operating debt" (SOD)

And this is subdivision 1: The operating debt of a school district means the net negative unreserved general fund balance calculated as of June 30 of each year in accordance with the uniform financial accounting and reporting standards for Minnesota school districts.

Now, if you can understand enough of this that it makes sense, please enlighten me.

The kicker is that I can not find anything that says what the consequences are of SOD. As far as I can figure out, is that a budget of somekind has to be filed with the state expressing what will be done to correct this condition. A couple of dozen districts in the state are or have been in SOD recently, and all I can see on the web is that they end up cutting busses, classes, programs and teachers.

Tax money we citizens have paid to the state for the purpose of education has been cancelled or unallotted or otherwise not paid like it was suppposed to be, for several years, and spent on other things. Makes the governor look good on the balance line for the state's budget, but at what cost to the schools and our future generations?

I don't have the slightest dman idea how any of this works, and I seriously doubt that anyone else (outside of administrators), does, either.

What is the solution, and how does the ordinary citizen get a flamin' clue?
tom koehler

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 642

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"What is the solution, and how does the ordinary citizen get a flamin' clue?"

First, I do not believe we are a community of ordinary citizens. Second get involved. Attend governmental meetings. (city council, school board, county commissioner meetings) Watch the state legislative session broadcast when it is on the Public Access Channel or on the senate media website http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/media/ . Demand elected officials do their jobs. If they don't find a good candidate and get them to run against them. There is plenty that can be done we just need to find the strength and willingness to do it.

Call any of your School Board Members and they would be happy to explain Statutory operating debt. There are also residents who helped with the last three operating levies that can also provide insight into what statutory operating debt is and what the state could require of the school district to correct SOD. }
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right. We are not a community of ordinary citizens, we are a community of extraordinary citizens, all above average. By ordinary citizens I mean to say those citizens who are not conversant with the specialized languages of the law, of commerce and finance and are not holding an elective office in the particular area of concern.

I have attended city council meetings, receiving no additional special insight on the workings of the city. The business conducted there is straightforward and clear, in ordinary language, the majority of city enterprise being worked out in committee meetings or attended to in the offices of the city administrator and the city attorney.

I've attended public meetings of the school district, when the intention of the meeting was public outreach and information, and found the proceedings to be murky and conducted in the specialized language of school administration. My attemps to query the speakers resulted in no lightening of the murk and in fact red-faced anger from the now gone administrator.

County commissioner meetings are conducted during daytime working hours, inaccessible to the ordinary citizen. I admit that being a retired person, I could go to these meetings, but there is nothing happening at the county level that gives me cause for concern, none that I am aware of anyway.

I trust my school board members and supported the recent funding issue at all proposed levels. The problem is at a level much higher than local. Decisions made at the state level and the federal level have been the root cause of our school finance problems. We citizens have paid our taxes with certain understandings that a certain portion of these monies would be redistributed as funding to the school districts, as in the past. This has changed in the past few years, and dozens of school districts in the state are now in SOD or facing this possibility.

I am not in a position to sit in on meetings in St. Paul or Washington D.C. to keep tabs on my elected representatives there. I do, however, try to follow the news reports from as many as 4 different newspapers to try to follow what is going on.

In the immediate context of school funding issues, the importance of this matter is such that we should be getting bombarded with detailed information on a near daily basis, in ordinary language, if we are expected to make intelligent decisions. The Chronicle and the News-Tribune are desperate for content, especially if they can get it for free from a school district or board member. I expect to see stories on a regular and frequent basis, explaining what is going on, in understandable terms. The few underlined phrases in my earlier posting are key phrases in the understanding of what is going on, and these phrases are meaningless to the ordinary citizen. These phrases are called jargon, and are part of the specialized language of the school district statewide. They are clear and succinct to the school district personnel but meaningless to the rest of us. News stories and information to the rest of us need to be told in ordinary language, not jargon. When this can be done, people will more likely pay attention, rather than just sit with a glazed look on their faces as the bafflegab rolls over their heads (and mine).

Yes, we do need to get involved. The other side of the coin is accessibility, and until jargon is purged from public proceedings, those proceedings will continue to be inaccessible even if the doors are open.

tom koehler

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I've noticed since not being on the TH Planning Commission is, when you are not on the Planning Commission, you are in the dark. I know the meetings are open, but who wants to, or has the time, to go sit through a meeting just to learn there was no discussion that night of anything you were interested in? If the agenda, which is developed prior to the meetings were public and accesible, one could figure out if it were worth your while to attend. As it goes with the P&Z, the agenda is generated in a digital format. From that point, just a couple mouse clicks could have it on a server and accessible to all in seconds. But they go to extra lengths to keep it under hat. They print a dozen copies, fold and stuff those in envelopes, apply or write addresses, add postage, and deliver to the post office, they arrive at the commissioners home in a day or two, about a day or two before the meeting. They operate like its 1950. They (ARDC) have a website with which to do such a thing, but it is void of any meaningful, current information pertinant to Two Harbors http://www.arrowheadplanning.org/Default.asp?PageID=157
It is my belief they keep this secret by design.

Pequot Lakes and their planning agency, the Community Growth Institute http://www.communitygrowth.com/pequot_lakes/ has exactly what I'd like to see in community planning. They even have an email sign up where you can get the meeting agendas emailed right to your inbox, in addition to 7 years worth of meeting minutes. We have nothing, no agendas, no recordings, no newspaper coverage, no minutes.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you look at the City of Two harbors website http://www.ci.two-harbors.mn.us/index.asp under Schedule of Meetings, you'll see April 2010 is the most current schedule. That speaks volumes to my point.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mailed a letter to Mr. Broins alleged Larsmont address last week....it came back, undeliverable. I drove by, and see he has no mailbox. The postmaster says if he has a P.O. Box and we recognize the name, we forward it there....guess not.

Is it just me, or does it strike anyone odd, that a county commissioner candidate does not even receive mail in the county that he claims to be a resident of?

Does it seem odd that one would have to mail a letter to Minnetonka, to contact your Lake County commissioner(should he get elected)?

yuk
Rookie Poster
Username: yuk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. So Broin is running against Paul B? Is there a third choice. If not, Broin gets my vote, and I don't like the guy.

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 643

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

District 4 Candidates for County Commissioner
MARY HENJUM ROSATI
PAUL G. BERGMAN
MARK S. BROIN
JUDY OLSON
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 897

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How interesting, that all these quite well known people are in it at the same time and are all very passionate about their feelings of how things should be done and run. I have some ideas for them, Tom -I'm not in business personally, technically or otherwise.... we can team up and attend the commissioners meetings until I/we get heard about my solutions to the issue of illegal dumping.

yuk
Rookie Poster
Username: yuk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure, but Broin may not be a contender in the upcoming election. I heard a rumor that he has suffered a pretty bad stroke.

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster
Username: lloyd_christmas

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a link to an article about a guy that could be our next Governor. I read an article earlier this year in which a political commentator here in the cities claimed that Emmer will make Pawlenty look like a pinko. I did hear Emmer say in an interview that there is still plenty to cut in the state budget. If this guy gets the nod, get ready for more cuts to schools and local governments in outstate MN.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/state/96851329.html

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 611

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been watching the dissention between the Tea Party and the rank and file GOP. I think I will invest in shovels. These folks are digging a hole so deep that they may never see the light of day ever again.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 612

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are going to need more shovels!

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20100703/D9GN7TKG0.html

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... war on terror. For pete's sake, a war against a concept! We got no business in Aghanistan. We got no business in Iraq. Anybody preaches 9-11 to me, I'll give 'em a very severe look. A handful of Islamic extremists from Saudi Arabia create the havoc and... well, here we are nearly a decade later, with no resolution of this mess and trillions of dollars down a rathole, making more enemies faster than we can kill 'em. I'm so angry I can spit nails. We should just get the heck out of the whole darn middleast yesterday. Not one single person has been able to give me a coherent reason for us bein' there, yet.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1555

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Tom, can we join you in "SPITTING NAILS"!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, you bet! I started out with 4d brads and am now up to about a 16d sinker head. I did a couple of 20d spikes, but realized that that much anger was not healthy. Gotta dial back a little bit more, so that I can stay coherent, and write a few letters.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 851

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not one single person has been able to give me a coherent reason for us bein' there, yet

Come on Tom. You know why we are there. Oil and the war industry.
Disrupt the oil to make the price go up and make planes, tanks, munitions and bombs. Let's not forget Halliburton and like industries either.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, yes, yer right about that. Lots of folks regard me as an extreme liberal, though, and so I didn't want to raise that aspect of it. I am glad that you raised this pont about the wars. You will likely now be tagged as another flaming liberal.

Our nation has had about a hundred significant military incursions into other nations in the past 110 years, and except for WWI and WWII they have all been economically triggered.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wheee! Great fireworks show! A little bit brief, but whatta show! Probably an accident, and I hope no one was hurt.
Who was doing the firing?
tom koehler

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One year the whole of Duluth's show went off in one big bang. It echoed up the shore and nearly banged me out of bed.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 854

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your saying that there was an accident at last nights show?
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing it was an accident. Ordinarily, our show will last about 20-30 minutes, and consist of a series of shots of one to four shells at once, and then a finale of some kind that will have dozens of shells fired in a pattern of some kind. Last night started out as usual, though it was odd that the opening was a single shell followed by a long empty period then the usual series of one to four shells in a display. Suddenly, we were given a very colorful and impressive display of what seemed like more than a hundred shells going off almost at once, and at a noticeably lower altitude, in a period of two minutes, or so. Much applause from the crowd - this was almost like the midnight show at Disneyland! There was a significant quiet interval, and then a short series of shots in the manner we are more used to, then a brief closing flurry of shells - and then it was over.

I was not disappointed. I have never been disappointed in our fireworks displays. There was a display at Burlington Bay one year, when the fog was so thick that we only heard muffled thumps followed by brightly lighted fog in different colors. It was interesting and very attractive in its own way. One year there was an accident - at Agate Bay, I think, when the firing was done by local volunteers I think - when most of the fireworks went off all at once at ground level, and you could see silhouettes of people diving for cover at the waterfront.

Once upon a time, here, I believe the fireworks display was a collaboration between the fire department and the Jaycees, and it is likely the shells were hand-fired (lit by hand) and launched from mortar tubes that were re-used multiple times during the show. It was my understanding that in more recent years, there have been changes in the rules and methods for firing shells, and that they were generally electrically fired from one-time mortars. I am certainly willing to be wrong in this matter, and am hoping someone in the know, can set matters right.

I want to be clear that I was not disappointed in any way by last night's show. I thought it was an impressive display, and if it was accidental, I earnestly hope there were no injuries among the performers.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 855

Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the firemen no longer run the show? If not, do they have people come in?
I remember the show at Burlington. If I recollect rightly, they were using fusees to light the fuse. Anyone who has used a fusee will tell you that the light is so intense that after looking at it for a short while you are near blind.
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting story in the Chronicle about the rising water temperatures in Lake Superior. Something anyone living here would know, but it is nice to have science confirm what we all have witnessed. When I was a kid, lake superior in August would kill you in a few minutes, now the kids are swimming in July.
Ice is rare during winter, whereas 40 years ago you could walk over to Wisconsin on the ice if you wanted to. When I was a kid we followed the weather to see if the entire lake would freeze over, and some years it did. Shipping struggled to get going in the spring, the ice breakers working hard to open shipping channels.
Back a few years ago I went for a walk on the TH hiking trail on a windy day at the end of November, the NE wind off of the lake was very warm, it felt almost tropical. Now when you feel that in Nov. you know things are changing!

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 902

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't believe how warm, sunny & nice it's been right on the lake some of this summer. That's at least twice now in the last 18 years I didn't need a jacket by the lake....: )

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1582

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen a few signs in yards that say "Judy, Judy, Judy" who the heck is this person? I think it says county board.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 617

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess Judy is running for County Board. Pretty presumptious thinking that you are the only Judy running. Maybe there are more than one.

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 644

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judy - Judy Olson - Owner of the Oldest sister store on 7th

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1583

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

X owner, it would be a good idea to put her last name on signs then. I guess she is just assuming everyone knew. NOT!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1584

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I am behind times, but......... watching news just now, in Duluth they were talking about "Movies in the Park"...what ever happened to the movies they used to have here?

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Todd R what is the latest on the Polymet projects? I was at the lake last weekend and saw that helicopter flying around both Fri and Sat mornings taking readings at the south end of the lake and also in the swamp to the west. Do they think they are going to be able to mine the whole area if they find deposits? I would imagine that is all state or federal land.

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 645

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lloyd_christmas I just read an article in the star Tribune ... here is the link

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/99152014.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7 aiU

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link Ms.Blue

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 618

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like we could be setup for our very own offshore drilling catastrophe. Are we to trust the very people who will tell us that it is safe, only to find out 10, 20, or even 50 years from now, "Ooops, we made a mistake, and you can't drink your well water anymore"?

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! That sounds like a seriously big operation! Maybe we will become like Sudbury Ontario. The scale of this thing is going to put the area back into a world class mining position.
I doubt any operation that big is going to be stopped by pollution concerns. They will do a lot of paper work and the government will approve something creating that many jobs. Efforts will be made to prevent water contamination, but they probably will only partially work.
As a life long BWCA visitor I am concerned as heck about what will most likely happen. But to be honest, this thing is going to happen. If both operations get up and running, then it's most likely Lake Superior and the BWCA get some pollution. It's more a question of How Much, Not "If" there is any.
It might be a good idea to research Sudbury and see what happened there.

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like that one of the mines will be underground, but how does the Polymet project plan on mining the minerals? Are they going to be big open pit mines or will these be underground also? I know the jobs wil be a welcome addition, but at what costs to the area and future economies after all the minerals are taken. There must be a pretty good reason that Wisconsin has put a moratorium on this type of mining. I watched this helicopter that was written about in the Chronicle, fly very close to the lake when it was doing its mapping. If they are able to mine this close to lakes, how are they going to be able to stop any runoff from getting into the water.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 856

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

South East of Ely kinda sounds like it is in Lake County? If so, watch St. Louis County try to take the lion's share of the tax money, and succeed. The county should also take steps to see that the IRRRB funds from this mine are spent in this county.
Just leave it alone.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The helicopter flying over northern Lake County is likely related to Duluth Metals, and not Polymet. Polymet is back to the drawing board after their 15,000 page draft EIS was blasted by the EPA and thousands of knowledgeable comments. Polymet will be a 3,000 acre (5 square miles) open pit. Polymet seeks to control 35 square miles.
Duluth Metals is a bigger project planned for underground. Take a look at Google Earth 47°48'11.43"N, 91°43'24.41"W just south of the Kawishiwi River on either side of Hwy 1 and you'll see the plethora of boring locations. Looks kinda like swiss cheese.
The mining interests are boasting of the deposit rivaling Sudbury and Norilsk Russia. They claim to have new technologies to prevent catostrophic acid contamination of surface and ground water(think blow-out preventers). Its never been done successfully anywhere in the world, but here in Minnesota, the industry has successfully controlled and repeated their phony messages so long and so often, they have now become "facts" in the public perception.
There are at least 6 more mining companies exploring areas from Island Lake in Duluth, to 14,000 acres in Brimson, to Isabella to the very edge of the BWCA. They are all short term mining prospects (20 years) with waste rock dumps generating acid runoff for thousands of years.
Our DNR has the conflicting role of both the permitting agency and the regulator (think Minerals Management Services)
Wisconsin doesn't have a moratorium, its more of a "prove it first" law. A mining company must meet 2 criteria:

(1) An example mine has been closed for 10 years without the pollution of groundwater or surface water from acid drainage at the tailings site or at the mine site or from the release of heavy metals; and

(2) An example mine has operated for 10 years without the pollution of groundwater or surface water from acid drainage at the tailings site or at the mine site or from the release of heavy metals.

It need not be the same mine. This simple law has sent the industry to more mining friendly regions.
for more info, http://www.sosbluewaters.org/

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres a good read about how the regulators and enforcers in Minnesota fail to hold industry accountable. It happens at every level of government.
http://www.timberjay.com/detail/7210.html

Remember when I (then P&Z Commissioner) pointed out the storm water permit non-compliance at Superior Shores? All levels of government talk the talk, but really prefer to turn a blind eye toward polluters.

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Todd for the update and information. When I looked at a map showing the potential mining sites in Lake and St. Louis Counties, I saw there was a spot on the northwest side of Sand that was a possible mine location. Do you know who has the rights to that piece?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are a google earth user (and you should be), I suggest downloading a .kmz file I have on the Save Lake Superior website at http://www.savelakesuperior.org/google.html
You'll find a lot of mining lease locations mapped. Many aren't as they are private leases.

Otherwise, Duluth Metals is the lease holder for extensive acreage around Sand Lake and beyond.

(Message edited by todd_r on July 27, 2010)

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Local observation. Nice story in the chronicle about the couple who dumped their canoe up around Cove Point. Very lucky to have survived 45 minutes in the water. Good thing temps were above normal even if colder water had churned up that day.
Lesson? Stay the heck off of Lake Superior in a canoe! The wind can kick up waves in minutes and one wrong move and you are over.
Last summer I saw two couples in canoes off of shovel point. Maybe 200 yards out on a calm evening. Calm can turn to a death trap in minutes on this lake. At least there now is another two people who can testify to why Lake Superior is no place for a conventional canoe!

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 93

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4 day school week was finally approved. http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/175502/

Thanks to Mark Broin the school district, parents and children have less time to prepare.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1597

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, well, how interesting is this, what do "I" get in the mail today, a campaign leaflet from Judy Olson!!!!!!

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 646

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well blondie tells us what it said.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1598

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 284

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am really anxious to hear the Primary results!
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 647

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PAUL G. BERGMAN - 228
MARY HENJUM ROSATI - 161
JUDY OLSON - 58
MARK S. BROIN - 47

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chronicle is posting different figures:
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/20773/

PAUL G. BERGMAN - 302
MARY HENJUM ROSATI - 212
MARK S. BROIN - 83
JUDY OLSON - 58

(Message edited by todd_r on August 11, 2010)

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be the case, since most of the numbers are somewhat higher, that the Chronny numbers are newer and include ballots not yet tallied when the smaller numbers were made available.
tom koehler

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 648

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newer than 7 am this date from the Secretary of State Website?

http://electionresults.sos.state.mn.us/20100810/ElecRslts.asp?CtyCd=38&M=P&CtyNm =Lake

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 619

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As of 7:40 PM

COUNTY COMMISSIONER DISTRICT 4

Nonpartisan Candidate Totals Pct Graph
MARK S. BROIN 83 12.67
JUDY OLSON 58 8.86
MARY HENJUM ROSATI 212 32.37
PAUL G. BERGMAN 302 46.11

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster
Username: seth_mcdonald

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats Tom on your solar project. How'd that go? "One step for man a giant leap for mankind"!
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it took the city 3 months to recognize that the state's mandated standard interconnect agreement was going to be the agreement used by the city - but it is in place now for anyone else who wants to get into a solar electric setup. It is too soon to see any significant difference in the electric bill of course, but I got time. (barring any action the Fates may take against me, of course)

It is kind of neat, though. We have some solar hot water heating, the solar electricity, a small greenhouse that is pleasant even in January, the house is well insulated, and we have all energy efficient windows. We have a high efficiency furnace, a nice little wood stove for the living room, and we're switching the lights to fluorescents as the bulbs burn out.
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 621

Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, we are in the process of installing a ground source heat pump, not connected yet, but.... It should be intersting to see if there are any, savings. I have kept a database of our energy expenses and temperatures for the last couple of years, so it will be easy to determine the savings. Keep us posted on what you find out, and I will do the same.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 904

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're movin' back in the woods. Off the grid is our goal... It's all useful and interesting knowledge. Thank you.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 860

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No election results posted? Snow birds are curious.
Just leave it alone.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 854

Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bergman over Rosati for County Commissioner
Chris Swanson re-elected to City Council
Jerry Norberg At-Large City Council won - unopposed
Laura Auron over Jeremy Hurd for County Attorney
Mike Cuzzo over Tim Costley for Judge
Goutermont kept his County Commissioner job too.
There were some other uncontested races, but they were all incumbents, so no changes.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that Seth McDonald got the write-in vote in his precinct for city council.
tom koehler

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The local units of government are going to have a hard job ahead of them. The future of Local Government Aid is going to be in doubt for two reasons. The state budget deficit, which is growing next year and the state house/senate are now firmly republican. They will be looking to make good on fiscal responsibility promises. So expect the state to be less likely to deliver the LGA funds that small towns and counties have counted on to keep property taxes down.
The city council and county board will be at ground zero for the new austerity coming down from the state. They will have hard choices to make in the next few years.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our taxes will not be going down any, either. We will just be getting less for what we are paying. LGA will be cut, but the portion of our taxes that subsidized LGA will now go for something else which we will not see locally.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1630

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is going to be a tough road ahead, no doubt about that. I think us on SS and Medicare have a big worry now, more so than we have had. NOT GOOD!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 861

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can not believe what has happened. Oberstar lost? Mary lost? Am I so out of touch that this seems wrong to just me? The only thing that makes sense is Jerry being counsel man at large. I mean Jerry would be large no matter where he is. ROFLMFAO
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1631

Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't believe what happened, I think a lot of people are still in shock about Obestar. Northern Mn is going to feel this one, where it hurts the most I am afraid.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The national media was calling Oberstar one of those democrats in trouble and likely to lose on Tues. I think I heard that story on MPR Monday morning.
His opponent tapped into the considerable christian conservative movement. If yard signs were anything to go by, that was certainly true in TH. That and the awful economy made his job tough.
Of course now we can sit back and watch the republicans start to take some ownership for this economy that Mr. Bush and the republican congress created during the 2000's with their out of control spending, war, pandering to health insurance companies, their low interest rate policy and housing bubble. The greatest debt bubble in history blew sky high just as Mr. Bush was exiting the White House. How Convenient!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 965

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what has happened since the Dems took Congress.

* When the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007, the debt held by the public was 36.2% of GDP. It rose to 40.2% the next year. This year it will be about 63.6%, next year 68.6%, then 77% of GDP in 2020. And the Obama administration's budget estimates 218% in 2050.

* The deficit in 2007 was $160 billion. In the next year the Pelosi-Reid Congress took it up to $458 billion, and when President Obama came into office in 2009 it hit $1.4 trillion. The current 2010 projected deficit is $1.6 trillion, which will lead to a tripling of our national debt from 2008 to 2020.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 622

Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, you need to step back and take a look at why we are here. The original stimulus package was signed by GW Bush. The real problem is that it was not big enough to start with. I suggest that if you want to start talking about economics, you better stop copying statistics from the far right, and start talking about the the real world. The right thinks they are going to fix all of the problems of the past. I will submit, that if they don't, they will also be voted out in 2012.

My only point of reference is that my retirement fund has nearly doubled since 2008. In the previous 8 years, I lost nearly half of my portfolio. If your economic plan is the same as the Bush years, I will take my money out of the bank and put in a coffee can in the back yard.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 93

Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not saying I'd go out and buy one tomorrow, but I'm not saying I wouldn't either.

The honda Clarity has struck my fancy for some reason and I think it's a great beginning for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Let's go Ford and GM, let's get the lead out!

Anyone have any experience in one of these? I've heard it's only available in California. Must be limited to hydrogen fueling stations.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 862

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know Seth. I don't think a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is the answer for Minnesota. What is the by product of a fuel cell? Water. Our Winter roads would soon be like skating rinks if we all went to fuel cell cars. Also, the whole system might freeze up as soon as you shut them down.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 623

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 05:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I find more interesting, is the Home Energy Station, they are working on.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1632

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know they claim the car is safe, but Hydrogen is very combustible.
What these car makers claim and what reality is are two different things, they want to sell!
For our climate, NO. Winters can be harsh in Minnesota. Also you need refueling stations,like we need gas stations, but there is a difference here.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where there's a will there's a way. Water on the roads is a problem, but instead of saying that wouldn't work in cold climates let's figure out a way in the garage to solve it.

I like the idea of the home engergy system. We have furnaces, hot water heaters, ovens, AC units, refrigerators. So why not add a Hydrogen fuel cell. Clip those wires coming to my house.

I know it might be a ways off, but a combination of wind, solar, and hydrogen fuel cell there must be answer there somewhere.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hydrogen saves no net energy. Hydrogen is produced by a huge energy input, most likely of fossil fuels. No help with green house gases and no help with imported energy costs. It's a lemon of an idea.
Alternative energy sources to produce hydrogen are too expensive. How many wind farms would it take to produce hydrogen for how many cars. The equation is not encouraging.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 624

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is development underway as we speak that can use algae to produce hydrogen, and nanotube technology using the power from light to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water. No carbon based fuels.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 863

Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photo electric is coming down in price. For people off the grid saving excess energy in batteries is expensive, but they are looking into producing and storing hydrogen with it. That home black box for making electricity is interesting. Will we see it in the States? I don't know. Power companies are against it. They are talking about making them for the natives in Africa and to hell with us. I think the best thing you can buy today is a natural gas motor that runs a generator. Heat is the natural by product of gas combustion, it doesn't matter if it is a motor or a furnace it is the same BTU. Well, you use the heat generated by the natural gas motor to heat your home and the excess electricity you sell back to the power company. You will not produce much electricity in the Summer, but in the Winter you will produce more than you need, by far. So it is a trade off for electricity Summer to Winter. I am sure you would produce far more excess in the Winter than you would need for the Summer.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1633

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40139203/ns/technology_and_science-future_of_energy/

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 627

Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is similar technology currently available for charging cell phones and the like. Called the charge pad. Just plug the charge pad in, and place your phone on it and it charges without any plugs or wires. This appears to be the same only on a larger scale.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1663

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never seen such few vehicles at the American Inn on a weekend as I did this morning. A whole 5 vehicles. The others didn't fair much better, except Country Inn had more.
Usually winter you see lots of vehicles with snowmobile's, but I guess the thing is, where people live they have just a good if not better snow conditions, and don't want to waste their gas coming north.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 635

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I live just off a snowmobile trail, and Friday and Saturday were very busy. The other thing is, today is the Super Bowl. I expect a lot of folks will be at home today.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 872

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always been amazed at the amount of vehicles at these motels any season of the year week days and week ends both. It is my opinion that most are people from out of area working construction around here. I do not know if that is the case, but all of them sure are not doing the tourist thing around town.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1668

Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just heard on TV that Cirrus Aircraft sold out to China!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 873

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just keeps getting worse and worse.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 636

Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the last company to leave the United States, please turn out the lights?

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 973

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad to say that the United States of America was once the nation to look up to....

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Todd R I saw your post in the chronicle about the leases being bought up. What does this mean for us at Sand? Are they gonna take our land and kick us all out?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration