Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * City issues again < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1538

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old thread was pretty full. In that thread we talked of water meters.

Someone recently received a water bill for $1,800 up in GM, they have two meters one inside and one outside(outside one is so they don't have to go into the house to read) 120,000 gallons of water had seemingly run out a pipe inside the house and into the city sewer!
A leak like this would have been like three gallons of water flowing out a faucet every minute of every day for about four weeks!

A typical household goes through about 1,800 gallons of water per person each month, it can vary.

A running toilet can go through 10,000-12,000 gallons a month.

In GM it costs $5.25 for every 1,000 gallons of water and $8.77 for that same amount that ends up down the sewer. Seperate plumbing and meters can be installed for people who want to water their lawns but not pay for sewer treatment . So, the more people living in your household the more water you use, the more it is going to cost.

The leak was never found incidentally, and the meter was even sent in for testing and it worked fine.

This is something to think about.

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An acquaintance of mine recently added 3 units to an existing Two Harbors rental property. He told me, water meters had to be installed on each of the units. The standard water bill allots a certain amount of use (he didn't know the qty), and he'll get charged more if the use exceeds that amount. None of the units have exceeded the allotment in the past 18 months.

Grand Marais rates are posted here http://www.ci.grand-marais.mn.us/vertical/Sites/%7B33D7F42E-203A-42E0-8979-44AF7 108C86C%7D/uploads/%7B15F07261-3489-4AE7-BE35-E24DF5419234%7D.PDF
There are fixed fees that seem to be based upon the size of the pipe entering the house, and there is a user fee, based on use. Can't tell if a household gets to choose one or the other? Seasonal residents would likely choose a user fee while year round residents probably get the cheaper fixed fee?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1539

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting Todd, I don't understand the different meter sizes though. (I wonder what size a home would have, the smallest?)
I had heard quite awhile ago, that any new structures that had water lines coming in, had to have water meters installed.

(Message edited by Blondie on June 14, 2010)

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a lot simpler when we went to Grandpa's outhouse in Castle Danger.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1540

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or went outside to pump water, it was free. People hand dug their wells, and old Sears Catalogs were toilet paper in the outhouse when I was growing up!!

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 842

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not happy with water meters. I am not against having a meter, I just think things are set up against the consumer. For instance; When you are alloted X amount of water a month for the nominal fee and you do not use the full amount, should you not be allowed to carry that extra forward? After all, you paid for it.
Here is another thing; J&J lumber was put on a meter, years ago, and were put on a commercial account. Well, they only used water to make coffee and flush the toilet so they were way,way below the amount alloted to commercial. But they were commercial and that was the price. Perhaps it was straightened out later, but I never heard of it.
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 610

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLP has the same thing. There is a base charge of $16.00. I have to pay this amount no matter how much or how little electricity I use. I guess you might call it an infratructure charge.

The alternative would be to move outside the city limits. Then you could install your own well, roughly $10,000.00, and your own septic system, another 15-20K. Assuming that you pay about $50.00 a month for water and sewer, it will take over 40 years to pay for it to get a return on investment. By then you will probably need to upgrade one of the other, or both.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1541

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

not unless you buy a place that has everything already. Naw, just go back to the outhouse and pump well, cheaper.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 843

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But, if I moved, I would, at least, have good roads.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1542

Posted on Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't count on that, all depends where you move!

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 898

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone attending/attend the comprehensive plan meeting tonight? I meant to go - but had to work late.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Micky and I were there. Attendance could have been better. About 1/3 of the people there, maybe a bit more, were planning commission members. The session seemed to be well run and organized. We were all well-behaved. Lots of good ideas and comments, and surprisingly, we all seemed to have pretty much the same ideas regarding the city's assets, and features worth protecting.
tom koehler

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 900

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any commissioners there?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 547
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the only commissioners I was aware of, were planning commissioners, who were there in abundance.
tom

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster
Username: seth_mcdonald

Post Number: 85

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to thank those of you who attened the public input meeting for the comprehensive plan last night. I too wish more people would have been in attendance, but I think we had a good mix of ideas and some good discussion.

Regular planning commission meetings are the 1st and 3rd tuesdays of the month and start at 7pm. These are open meetings and anyone can attend.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1551

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

while sitting down at Burlington bay today, we noted lots of garbage laying around, where are the containers they always used to have, not one in site?!!! Not that people always use containers, but atleast if there was one it might be used by some.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1575

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just want to say how nice Waterfront drive looks, love the hanging flower baskets on the light posts, that really adds something. GOOD JOB!!

nightrider
Pro Poster
Username: nightrider

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it really take our city almost 2 hours to shut off the siren. How hard is it to turn off a circuit breaker and kill the power.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1586

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what siren? we never heard anything

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tornado warning sign went off around 12:30 last night and did not stop until around 2:30 am. The one that downtown around 2nd ave. It did not cycle up and down through the sounds like normal. It just stayed at one constant volume for almost 2 hours.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1587

Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad I had fans going then, and due to the storm had to have windows closed, so guess that is why we never heard anything.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I slept through the whole thing (thankfully)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 857

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Golf Course: The new greens, that is, the greens constructed as part of the expansion of the golf course, are just terrible. They have been for years now. Maybe 50% grass, the rest brown and black. Full of scabs. Not good at all. If grass is not started on these greens in the Spring, you certainly are not going to get seed started once it gets hot. But the big point here is that all the old greens, the ones from the original 9 hole course, are just beautiful. They were constructed properly. It is too late now, but the architect or the construction company should be held responsible. What could be done, is a small slice could be made in an old green, to see how it is constructed, and redo one green a year. Basically, they are just flat mounds. It could be easily done if started in the fall and could be finished before the next season started.
I know that spending more money on this course goes against the grain of a lot of people, but the course is an important part of how out of towners judge our town. I can not see anyone from out of town playing this course and wanting to come back.
And that's the truth! Pffffft!
Just leave it alone.

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 90

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are people in this town that want the town left alone and not to make changes even if it is an improvement. So my take on the golf course is a quote from you. "Two Harbors 'Golf Course' Love it or leave it. Just leave it alone."

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 91

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry golfers. One of those "piss and vinegar" days.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please don't resurrect the "we should sell the golf course/ski trail to a developer" argument again!

nightrider
Pro Poster

Post Number: 92

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not me.

jackburton
Pro Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sam's field of dreams down by the water plant has turned into a field of weeds. So has the former High School site. In particular the High School site is an eyesore. It wasn't even filled in properly. There surely isn't a shortage of cheap fill in Lake County? Now it is a weed filled hole in the middle of town. Not good for scenic or historic Two Harbors.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1588

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes isn't that an eye sore where the old school was....rodents and whatever love it though.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Personally, I'm delighted to see Cave's field of dreams go sour. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Important to remember, he still owns the property and there is still great opportunity for the city to fumble.
I might add, one's field of weeds is another's beautiful field of yellow wild flowers. The city used to mow it. Its a great improvement being unmowed with the wild flowers, in my opinion.

Why is there no for sale signs on the old school property?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1589

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree todd, could care less about Cave's land,(field of stinky flowers at that) but the old school property, looks like H.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I'm going to get onto the subject of weeds, the city mowed down all the raspberry canes along the city hiking trail down on LHP. Instead of picking berries every year, we now have weeds grown up in their place, which need cutting every year. What was wrong with the berries???? Sure they needed to be cut back now and then, but so do the weeds! Which is better, weeds or berries?

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

berries is better. Heres a nice little pic I took last week, with the field as foreground. I'll agree, those tansies are stinky!
tallship

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1590

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice picture.
got to see them yesterday out there on Lake Superior when they were leaving, we were just coming down the hill in duluth..beautiful sight

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fwiw, I saw the school property being mowed this afternoon.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1591

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GOOD!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1592

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love our summer, but getting sick and tired of smelling smoke/garbage in our area, can't even have our windows open too cool our house down in the later evening, until the wee hours of the morning half the time(if I wake up). NO, IT IS NOT COMING FROM THE CAMPGROUND EITHER!! For the past three summers it has been bad.
Are their restrictions to having campfires or whatever is happening in the city limits?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it might be worth your while to do a little reconnoitering around the 'hood, and try to figger where the stink is coming from. Might be somone burning garbage or trash. bring a camera along. no restrictions on burning, like barbecues or other campfire stuff as long as the fire is in a ring or a fireplace of some kind. burning trash and garbage is always a no-no, though.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1593

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One night when it wasn't too dark I did venture out and did find one back yard fire going, that was huge, just huge, and that one didn't have a nice wood smell, but I don't know if this person does it often or not, to be honest, being out after dark is not my thing!! Actually I know a few fire pits in my block, but two I can easily view, and they haven't had fires in a couple months even.

I really don't know what the answer is to this.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some people have basement stoves or stoves in their garages. They are known to be used to burn garbage. One chimney can spew a lot of stink.
And yes, I sometimes smell it too. Especially at night. If the windows are open I have to get up and close them. Somebody saving money on garbage pickup? I also like the barking dogs. They are fun to listen to. I'm sure the owners feel glad they can cheer up the neighborhoods in TH!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah, yes, the barking dogs. I go by a particular house and one or more of the dogs goes on a barking fit - then the owner apologizes by saying please excuse my dimwit dog. To myself, I am just saying bad words, and go on. I have a dog. He barks if someone comes to the door. That's it. He doesn't go nutz in the yard or when we go on walkies. Dogs are responsive to their owners. A badly behaving dog is not a dimwit, he just has badly trained owners.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1594

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tom you are right on! Dogs need to be trained and the owners aren't doing it that is for sure.

clearasmud
Regular Poster
Username: clearasmud

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With four days a week of school...how about starting up new TH tradition for the students' Fridays off: "Golfing for Grades" at the golf course! Kids could golf for reduced rates every Friday, mingling with town folk and teachers alike. A great opportunity! Folks are VERY supportive (financially) of the golf course. This is one venue tax payers will GLADLY support. Some other catchy golfing events:
"Teed-off Teachers."
"FOUR! on the Fifth"
"DRIVE for excellence!"
"SUB PAR Day!"
"The LONG RANGE"
"NO Money MORE GREENS!"
"BAD BREAKS, GOOD TIMES!
"Levy with a wedge!"
"In the HOLE!"
"The GREEN classroom!"
"18 and DONE!"

I am sure others can come up with some other cool names for the golf Fridays. Try it!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1596

Posted on Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FUNNY!! "levy with a wedge" caught my eye!!!! :-) But what about winter?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 858

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure had a nice time at The Mayor's block party.
I was at one of the first jam sessions, if not the first, in the Ojala home when I was a young man. Now I see The Accidentals and I am an old man. It sure was nice. And, hey, that Skeeter is still a super star.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bear with me, please, I am steamed ... hot ... so angry I could bite the heads off of nails...
We got brandy-new sidewalks downtown and around some areas of the "loop" and dammitall, the concrete is cracking already! We're not talking about a garge floor slab that very nearly always cracks, we're talking about sidewalks that are just a few feet wide - cracking! Brand new - gosh, the contractors are still working on stuff downtown, and the new hasn't even worn off, and the damn stuff is cracking! Add to this a ginormous hump in the sidewalk about in front of the WF bank, several inches higher than the rest of the sidewalk. Is my memory so poor that I do not recall such a hump in the old sidewalk?

Jeepers! there is some sidewalk in this town, that is 100 years old, and still sound!

It ain't like there's heavy loads on the new sidewalk, just pedestrians - though I will grant that there may be times when 4 or 5 of them will cluster together for a few minutes to visit, but still, why is this new concrete cracking? Is there any kind of warranty on the stuff?

I guess it is time for someone a bit calmer than me right now, to provide some sane answers and insight.

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1636

Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder about the "quality of cement" they use now days. A couple years ago now, we had a new side walk put in at our house, couldn't believe my eyes, before long cracks in several places. Cracks are still there! Like everything else out there today, quality is lacking!!

I suppose we could have had our contractor come back, but then again, we didn't want it all torn up again, as we had just re-soded the yard from all the rigs that tore it up in the first place.

Tom I am sure you have contacted city hall about what you have seen, it is up to them to see what action they can take.
Take a deep breath!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, no, I have not contacted city hall yet. I wanted to wind down a bit, first.
tom koehler

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see the Marina plans are moving along. Of course they aren't mentioning the funding for it. I attended a meeting for public input a long while back and the DNR could not confirm funding for the whole project. So with the State of MN in deep deficit and even China's central bank warning that the US Federal Government is in worse financial shape than some already bankrupt European countries, I am not convinced this Marina will survive the budget cutters.
A new Republican congress and strong republican influence in St. Paul is making me doubt we have clear sailing to all the free money we need to build this in the middle of the worst recession since the 1930s.
If we do build it, I am wondering if the very large building that was presented in the Chronicle couldn't be of some use to the City. It looks large and has lots of facilities, including a meeting room.
The old community center sits on prime real estate for development. It is really a run down tin shed. Could the city partner with the DNR to insure the new Marina building could double as our community center. A slight tweaking of the plans could make this possible. And a community center on the water front would do double duty, save money and make TH a great asset.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 867

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wealthy boat owners from the Twin Cities will not want a magnet for our youth down in the area being created for them, the wealthy. They want peace and tranquility when they come. The ore docks will have to shut down for the Summer. LOL. Well, there goes the job base.
Just leave it alone.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 868

Posted on Friday, December 10, 2010 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any more news on the water meter installation?
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shifting gears a bit, I somehow got myself on the topic of the old roundhouse property. I have a large selection of pictures I took not too long ago, of the various buildings, inside and out. I then thought about the old Universal Fiberglass Plant operations there, before J&J Castings took over the property.

There is a very good piece about the plant and the mailster at this website: http://www.snowbizz.com/BoydScandal/fiberglassco.htm

There were a lot of other fiberglass products made there, including automobile body parts and boats and skylights. Lots of stuff. Well, the coup de grace for the plant was some scandals about the mailster project there. In addition, the letter carriers had problems with the mailsters themselves. Underpowered, tippy, a bit dangerous, and no good in snowy climates. They did well in Florida, though. Not enough to save the project. While there was a big fire there, production still continued for some time after the fire.

The roundhouse is in someone's sights now, for demolition. Part of the building is of course self-destruction, now, but other parts of the property are still in pretty good shape. It will be nteresting to see what happens next.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the internet service you wished you had. Could be here by very early April.

http://www.google.com/tisp/

tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 631

Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, it is not available to those not connected to the city utilities.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember when Universal Fiberglass burned up. Me and a friend were down at the beach playing and building rock piers out into the lake [there were rocks there, where now it is only sand]. We saw smoke rising from over towards the docks. Thought an ore boat was on fire, ran all the way there to find the fiberglass plant going up! Great fun for kids! When going to John A. Johnson, the school took us kids down for a tour of the fiberglass plant. I remember car fenders and boats, but no mailsters.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to an auction at the plant, and saw molds for the mailster bodies, and some of the tools that were used there. Sperry owned the chopper guns that were used in spraying up the fiberglass products. Interesting bit of machinery. It had handlebars like a bicycle has. There was an air-powered motor that ran a chopper device which chopped the bulk fiberglass roving into short chunks and then the chopped fiberglass was blown through a fog of externally mixed plastic resin and into the mold of whatever was being made. The fluffy sticky mat was then rolled down into a neat compact layer in the mold.
tom koehler

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster
Username: lloyd_christmas

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember that fire also. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 when it burned, do you guys remember the year? My brother in law was taking care of me that afternoon and drove us over there to watch the firemen put it out. As I remember that was one big fire. Thank God no one was seriously hurt or killed. Was that the same company they calld Abex?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 869

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Abex was in the Car Shop to the West of the Round House/Machine Shop. Abex made castings for rock crushers and the like. Both companies were there to suck up Federal funds. The mother companies would buy up everything needed for manufacturing and sell it to the satellite companies for a huge profit. When the Federal funds were used up, goodbye to jobs in TH.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah. I worked at Abex for a short time, on the pouring crew. They were there just to suck the place dry, not re-investing in safety or improvements. That's where my sense of smell got shot... sulfuric fumes from the slag, like a sharp needle up the nose the first time, and not so bad after that. Used to go home in the morning, after shift, and sneeze and spit black. Got tired of running from live steel leaking out of the ladle, or having mold flasks explode from poor venting. A really bad place to work. A crane operator got killed there, some time before I started there. Charging the furnaces was a very dangerous operation. When the bottom of the charge bucket opened up and the scrap steel fell into the furnace, there was always a puddle of steel and slag simmering in the furnace bottom, and it would splash straight up, like a volcano erupting - along with great gouts of smoke and fumes. The crane operator's control cage was right above the furnace when it was being charged or tapped. By the time I was working there, the crane operator would leave the control cage and get the heck out of the way. One of those safety precautions written in blood. The only safety gear there at the time was a pair of safety glasses and a pair of clip-on half-lens dark glasses for watching the steel during a pour.
The car shop building has been torn down for many years now, and the old floor area is now just a storage area for ore dock machinery parts.
tom koehler

lloyd_christmas
Regular Poster

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info guys. Did these two companies have local owners or did they come in from out of town?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 870

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of town, of course. I think Sperry Rand owned Fiberglass, of course, Abex owned Abex and then there was the Jones brothers from the range. They were pouring castings in the round house. When they left they left a huge amount of used mold sand. It was considered a contaminant.
Just leave it alone.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 871

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW. Over the years I have been leaving TH for 7 months during the Winter. I always used to go to City Hall and have them put me on a vacation plan for water and sewer. I would pay the full rate all winter, and them when I got back I would get a rebate. I never did figure out how much I was getting charged, but I was paying something. This year, I told them to shut off the water. It cost 30 bucks to shut it off and nothing to turn it on. What the hey? It's nice not to have a water and sewer bill all Winter.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1664

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess it must be okay to park overnight on the streets now?

Seems to be in my neighborhood anyway. There has been a vehicle parked all weekend long, and again it was there last night all night.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There will be parking ordinance details on the city hall website. In general though I think that snow season is not really over yet. It may be the case that the cops have not tagged the car because it has not inconvenienced the plows yet.
We will very likely get a doozy of an ice storm in mid-March and some more snowfall, so winter is not completely done with us yet. My opinion.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1665

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winter is not done with us, we know better than that. When we least expect something, that is when we get hit!!!

Seems to me it is like April before they take the winter parking signs down.

I guess the thing for me, is why have off street parking or the weekly parking thing, if people are going to constantly ignore it, which seems to happen quite often.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTICE REGARDING PARKING IN THE CITY OF TWO HARBORS
0ff street parking goes into effect in the City of Two Harbors November l, 2010 through March 31, 2011. There will be no parking on streets and avenues during the morning hours of 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. During the day, parking will be prohibited on one side of streets and avenues so posted. On all other streets and avenues not posted, parking will be permitted on both sides except during the hours of 2 a.m. to 6 a.m.
During these months, parking on boulevards which have been curbed is permitted only during the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Lee A. Klein, Administrator Dated: November 1, 2010

this from the city's website

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1666

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess they make rules, so they can be broken! :-)

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

or selectively enforced

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1667

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, that could be

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1671

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am up in arms after reading in the Chronicle again about wanting to move the garbage pick up to out front instead of alleys. Come now! If a good base is done in the first place, this probably wouldn't be happening...just like some of the streets!!
Our alley is black top and is not tore up(knock on wood) by the heavy garbage trucks that run through it weekly, lets see there are three different services that I have seen. Oh and for awhile there was a big semi truck that would come down the alley also, why I have no idea.
What about older people having to haul their containers out front, then haul them back. Sure not going to leave that sit right by the house!!! Right now most have them sitting right down by their garages or by the alley and just dump their garbage in and that is it, not just older people but others. Do you think it looks good in Duluth when you go shopping to see all those garbage containers on the curbside? I don't!!
Do you want garbage all over the streets, as that is what is going to happen.
Go down an alley any time prior to garbage day and what do you see, garbage strewn all over, why Ravens, Sea Gulls, animals you name it, tear open the bags that are sticking out. They don't even have to be sticking out, some containers are tipped over.

I should add here, not just older people, what about handicap people having to worry about getting the containers out front. Sure some can do it, but for others not so easy.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 04, 2011)

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with you completely, Blondie! The alley behind my house is gravel. Always has been. Never a problem with garbage trucks tearing it up. No problems with cars blocking access to the trash cans as there would be for street pickup. Consider further, the liability for the trash hauler that uses a robot arm to handle the cans - and then do this while maneuvering around parked cars. I could see a nice new car getting banged up this way.

This is just a crazy idea, and I am wondering just exactly what prompted it.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1672

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom you made a couple good points also. I never thought about access to the containers for the garbage trucks with parked vehicles and some streets there are allot of vehicles parked with the one side parking, nor did I think about the robot arm garbage hauler. I have seen the guy get out of his truck and move the containers across the alley so the arm could pick it up, guess that is what he will have to do, get out and move the container out in the street away from the vehicles.

Which is going to be cheaper to repair from the garbage trucks, the alley or the street? Look at some of our streets already the disrepair they are in. These heavy garbage trucks using them on a more regular basis will eventually cause problems, what about our ageing sewer/water lines that run out in the street.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1684

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put this on here, simply because it was pertaining to Two Harbors.
Has anyone else had a call from Mn Health Systems? One came just a few minutes ago, and wanted to do a survey of air pollution in Two Harbors...we don't do surveys.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 639

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did get one last week. Those kinds of calls are from telemarketers. The rule is, they can only call you if they have done business with you in the past. Well, once you answer their questions, you have now done business with them, and they can continue to call you. Since I have a phone that displays the caller ID, if I don't recognize the area code and number, I don't answer it. If it is someone who needs to talk to me, they can leave a message.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1685

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen this on my caller ID before, and I have found, they will keep calling and calling until I answer their call. So, that is why I picked it up today.
I often say we are on the NO Call List and they will apologize and say they will remove our phone number,blah, blah blah. I have turned in some of these telemarketers also. Oh and I have turned the answering machine on, that doesn't stop them, they will continue to call and call, until I do finally pick it up and get mad at them. Until a different telemarketer starts calling again,then it is the same routine all over again!!!

(Message edited by Blondie on March 15, 2011)

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 87

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a call I had a door to door MN health systems visit taking a short survey about air quality in TH. She obviously wasnt from here.

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 88

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as far as garbage pick up on the street.... i can't believe it's even being discussed, duh! comes to mind.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1686

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't like door to door either, don't like survey's period.
You said it was obvious she wasn't from here?

DUH IS RIGHT on the garbage crap!!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 975

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Census shows Two Harbors losing 556 residents.

Like frosted flakes has said: "Two Harbors. Love it or leave it." It looks like 556 residents have taken F.F. up on that...

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/21975/

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 878

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a lot of variables in the census report. For instance, when the census is taken, I am in AZ and not counted in TH. Another thing is the build up in the country surrounding TH. Actually, Lake County should be losing near to the number of HS graduates less new births. Another thing is the age of our citizens. A friend of mine, from the state of Wash, always would comment on all the elderly she saw when we went out in TH. Another way of saying that is the lack of young people inter spaced with the elderly. When I was young the sign at the city limits would proclaim over 5,000 souls. For years it has always been, around 3,500. Yet the city keeps expanding. Less people, more houses. Huh? But I feel that the population of TH will change to be younger with more people living in most houses as time goes on. It is the natural progression of small towns to my thinking.
Just leave it alone.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 652

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New City of Two Harbors Publication.
City Scene

http://www.ci.two-harbors.mn.us/vertical/Sites/%7B29DDF924-38A0-41E9-9FCC-68BDA0 5E6C06%7D/uploads/%7B2BCB045C-F69B-4B9A-833B-D012548F1941%7D.PDF}
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 879

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Blue. Interesting. I tried to make a short cut, but the format was not up to that idea. I wonder if the City could make a subscription list and E-mail us each time the new City Scene comes out. Otherwise I would never remember to be looking for it quarterly.
Just leave it alone.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not surprised we lost so much population in town. Have a walk around and see the for sale signs, the empty houses and empty businesses.
There are many occupied homes that are really tear downs.
I have lived here since birth and that is getting to be a long time ago now. What I see here now looks like a disaster movie.
The reason behind the decline is simple. There are no jobs. Understand that, and you understand everything.
Also, the only decent jobs left other than a handful at the railroad and North Shore Mining, are in the public sector. City, County, State and School District. Watch the news and imagine how long before big cuts come to that sector as well.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1706

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several job openings according to Two Harbors Chamber of Commerce Facebook site, but still that isn't enough. I really didn't pay all that much attention to where they were, as I am not looking for work. But they have been posting job openings on there off n on.

If the gas keeps going up and up, you can bet there will be big employment cuts!!

Within a block of our house, sits three empty houses, one is being fixed though and then there is one that I am surprised wasn't condemned long time ago that someone lives in.

I have lived here almost 50 years, and the bottom fell out shortly after, with DM&IRR, and it has been going downhill since. People seemed to have lost their pride in their town, and I guess can't really blame them, but yet hate to see it happening. Yes, there are a lot of homes that should be torn down.

Look at the John A Johnson school still sitting there empty, and I noticed a few more broken windows. The longer it sits like that, the more vandalism that is going to happen.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been away for about 6 weeks, and am now back with much to catch up on.

Two things that have me curious:
Manager of the golf course, getting a salary of around $170,000? Is that about right? That's about what a freshman congressman makes in the US legislature. What is a typical salary for a golf course manager around the area, anyway?

We have a new water tower, and various state laws require some changes in the way the city does business, regarding the water utility. One change is that we have water meters installed in every household. Incidentally, the city happens to have about a thousand brand-new water meters on hand. The clincher though is who will pay for the installation of these meters? Current activity in the council is a new statute or ruling that each household will have to pay for that installation. It is my understanding that the city has a couple of million bux in the water utility budget - couldn't about a million of that money be used for installing those meters?

How about some input from you folks out there in the forum? I'm willing to take this to the editorial pages of the Chronny, but I gotta get some solid information, first. I still have one or two friends on the city council, and I don't want to throw them under the bus. I am a bit steamed, though. I gotta stay calm and get the straight skinny. Who to talk to?

tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 642

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for the golf course manager, that seems to be a big mystery, thanks to the city manager. He doesn't seem to be very forthcoming with information on that subject. I kind of think that total fee is not just the manager, but other personnel also. Just not sure.

City water meters, usually, that can be tacked on to the monthly bill so the residents don't get hit with a big bill.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 884

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 170 or 80 number is for the grounds keeper. I don't know if they call him the "manager" or not, but it has nothing to do with the GC office. With that lump sum, he must buy fertilizer, seed, weed control and any other thing he needs to keep up the course. He also must pay for grass cutting and all other labor.
The GC office will be run by, now get this, the Curling Club. I heard they leased the restaurant part out to Betty's Pies. But I am not sure on that one. I heard they, the Curling Club, would be running the bar. I heard they will be getting, from the City, $130 a day for something close to, but under, 200 days. So they are not going to get rich.
I also heard that, because of bad greens, the course would be cut down to 9 holes, some from the front and some from the back 9, until June. I heard that there was a lot of ice damage because of the funny start to Winter last year. Time will tell the tale of how this is going to work out.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1707

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here we have the lake sitting right at our doorsteps, and they want water meters. Sorry no one is going to convince me that this is a good idea. Sure just like we had to pay to have sump pumps installed!!! If they say we have to have meters, then they should be paying for the installation.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF and HOTR - thaks for the info. As I understand it then, the 170 thou. figure is the budget for the groundskeeper, then, and not his salary. He pays for the whole operation out of that money - is that about right? If so, then that is pretty decent, i think.

to blondie - I agree that the city should be paying for the meter installation, as long as every household in the city has to have one. I am still of the opinion that the city has money in the water budget for that expense. As for the Lake being just outside our door, that is fine, but the city still has to pay to treat the water, store the water, and distribute the water, plus fix the system when it is busted or leaky. Part of the cost is to know how much is being used by each household. Having grown up in a city that has had metering since at least WWII, metering is not a new concept for me. I did pay to put a sump pump into my house, but I figured that was okay, as my house was contributing to the freshwater infiltration into the sewer system. Not every household is a contributor.

Any city council members here who want to educate me on this money topic? I am earnest and will not get angry with you. I just need to know where to go to get the answers.

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1708

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know what your saying Tom, but that still doesn't make me agree with meters being installed.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 885

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the 170 thou. figure is the budget for the grounds keeper, then, and not his salary
I am thinking that he has to take his salary out of there too. That can be detriment to a good course. The less money spent means the most money in the old hip pocket.

Water meters. Tom, you alluded that it was a state law? I agree we do not need meters. But along with the reasons you give, it also helps limit the amount that goes into the sewer plant. I think the home owners will be charged for instillation. As it should be. I do not like the idea of meters though.

If the City has that much money in it's water and sewer fund, I think they should look into that new method of fixing sewer mains with that "sock" that then turns into a hard pipe liner. something needs to be done.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just came back from the library - reading past issues of the Chronny to try to catch up bit.
The $180 thousand sounds like the whole budget --> the groundskeeper guy has to do all his work and pay for any other labor out of that money. I am assuming that his income also comes from that fund of money, the way the article was written.

The second reading on the ordinance for the water meters was apparently last week. If the third reading was this past Monday, then the thing is probably a done deal, and we will have to pay for the installation of meters. The city will provide the meters. It may also be the case that the homeowner may install the meter him - or herself. At least that is what I got from the article. Now if that is the case, then it sounds like the meter can be installed "downstream" of the household shutoff valve (otherwise, the water would have to be shut off at the street). There are, in fact, no details as of today. Have not seen the current ish of the paper - will check later on.

I do not oppose water meters, but I am kind of p.o.'ed that the homeowners will be required to pay for their installation. It is like the gas and electric meters - their installation is part of the installation of the service. (my opinion)

About fixing the sewer mains with a hardening insert... well that is a good idea, but then you gotta know just where the leak is, to use the insert. There is probably a lot of the old clay tile in our streets, and much of that is going to be defective. I am also willing to bet a shiny new dolllar that there are still a lot of old sewer pipes from old defunct parts of the railyard, admitting a lot of rainwater into the system.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 886

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haven't you seen them installing that sewer fix on the TV ads? They fix the sewer from manhole to manhole. they blow this "sock" in from one sewer hole, inside out and then fill it with air to make it conform to the old sewer. Then they pump in steam which catalyzes the epoxy and it is, in effect the new pipe. All the sewage flows inside the new liner. Then they take a small, remote operated, tracked vehicle with a router mounted on it and cut out all the home pipe entrances. Problem solved.

Here is one of them; http://www.ussewer-drain.com/
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1709

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just copied this (short) from the paper...but go on the internet and read the whole article..it is interesting.

Council member Chris Swanson said the water meters the city has in storage were delivered by mistake a year ago and he asked then that the city return them. He says the money received by the city for water improvements does not require the implementation of meters.

“The question is why do we need meters?” Swanson said. He said nothing in state law requires the change. And he bristles that a city with nearly $2.5 million in its water fund will require residents to pay for installations.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FF - very interesting site. I have never seen this kind of advertising before. Has Tom Gelineau seen this kind of ad?

blondie - it seems like there are two different interpretations of the durn law. One says that the improvement to the water system requires metering. Also, that now we have the meters we can't send them back. How did they get delivered here, in the first place? Whose mistake? A thousand effing meters at a couple of hundred bucks+ apiece plus shipping in a huge truck - that is no casual boo-boo. We're talking about a quarter of a million bux, here.
who does a person trust for the straight skinny?
Also, we got two lawyers with the city now... Overom and Costley? What's up with that?
Golly moses, I am afraid to take any more vacations, what will happen next?
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1710

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom it sure is confusing isn't it. I read the article, went back and read it again, and sat here shaking my head. What the heck is going on. One and one aren't adding up to two here!!!!!! Oh on the other hand it is...two lawyers!
Hey on another note where did u and missus trek to this time?

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have had a very nice informative exchange with Mayor Bolen. The $180,000 is the budget for the golf course guy. He has to pay for all the supplies and tools and wages of other workers out of that money. The leftovers are his salary. A good system, but of course like any other enterprise of local government, it will need observation to make sure the job is done right.

Bolen also said something about trying to get a grant program set up out of the city's water money to help pay for the cost of installing the water meters.

re our recent voyage to the outer world, we went to New Mexico. motto: It's not really new, and it's not really Mexico. All kidding aside, it really is the Land of Enchantment - but I am personally glad to be back home. Micky really likes being warm, though. We spent six weeks on the road, living out of our little teardrop trailer, except for a few nights in a motel. We also visited a friend in New Mexico, in Santa Fe for a few days - stayed at her house. We finished up with about 4 days near Salina Kansas before coming home. Pretty bad storm while we were in Kansas, but we were lucky enough to not be right in the direct path of the badness. Just got some wind and rain, and some wind. Do not seek to drive the country roads in Kansas after wet weather. They do not have gravel roads. They have sand roads. Cheaper than gravel. Very much like driving in slime. Imagine a muddy skid road out in the woods, after a loaded skidder has just come through. Great trip, overall, with temperatures ranging from 90 degrees to 28 degrees - averaging most days at least 50 degrees and sunny. Equipment casualties: frozen water pipes and split plastic fittings account of hard freeze one night. Busted plastic fitting on part of tent framework, account of very high winds one day. Trashed axle on trailer account of wind-driven fine sand in one of the axle bearings. Trailer is in West Des Moines, getting fixed, to the tune of 700 simoleons - will drive down to pick it up in another week or two. uffda. At least we were right in town when it started squealing, and we caught it before the axle failed altogether. A good thing.
We each took around 3,000 pictures - ain't digital cameras swell?

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 887

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is Bolen talking like we need to install the meters? Because they are here? If they are here by mistake, I think we should be told who and why. After all, everyone of them are our employees. Things should not be kept from us. We should also be told why we are having these meters foisted upon us. Seems to me, with so many things in need of repair, we do not need to add new expense and ignore things that need to be done.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 643

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess to put this into perspective.

If you do not have city water and sewer, you would need to put in a well, at about 10-12 thousand dollars.. And install a septic system for about 15-20 thousand dollars. Then you have to maintain that. Also have the septic system pumped out every two years at 125-150 dollars.

you are also paying the electric bill to have the pump run and the septic pump run.

You may not have it as bad as you think.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff: about the water meters, there is some disagreement or controversy about the need to have them. One side of the issue says that state law requires them as part of the program that made the new water tank possible. The other side of the issue says that if the city does not already have the meters in place, then they are not required. The wild card is that since the city already has the meters on hand and can not send them back, they have to be installed. The city council apparently has had readings on a new rule or statute regarding the homeowners being responsible for installing them.

The only information in black and white about this is what comes out of the Chronny, which is not as thorough as it could be, about gathering the facts.

Absent real information, we can only be angry with the council for doing what we know they have done, and we can be angry with the Chronny for not getting us the complete information in a timely manner. Considering that the time lag for city council news in the Chronny is about two weeks, and considering that the paper only prints what IT thinks is important, we live in an information fog rather than the bright sunlight we need.

In my own personal opinion, I think meters are a good idea. We need to have a good accurate idea where our water usage can be improved. There are places in our community where water is being wasted for one reason or another, and this waste is an expense to us all. We have to pay for the water to be drawn from the lake, treated, and distributed. We also have to pay for the used water to be collected and treated before it is dumped back into the lake. If it is reasonable that each person should pay his or her fair share for the water used, then we have to have a way of measuring that use. If two households are charged the same amount for water and one of those households uses way more water than the other, then that household is getting a free ride and the other is being played for a sucker. Further, Sewer costs can be tied to water usage. The more water you use, the more water you are sending back through the sewer to be treated for release back to the environment.

ff, I am not dumping on you, I am just expressing my own opinions on this matter. We agree on lots of other things - I just happen to think that water meters are a good idea.

Respectfully,
tom koehler

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got my water meter some years back and the total cost of meter and installation was on me. I expected as much. Any new construction in town must install a water meter at the owners expense. I guess from my point of view, the city needs to treat our water before our use of it, so I see why we must pay for our meter.
Now here is why meters are being mandated around the nation. We are fast moving towards an ownership society and away from public services.
More and more city water utilities are being sold to private business as a one time cash infusion to boost budgets on the local level. Any private company buying a water utility to run for fun and profit will be much more attractive if the city in question already has metered water. So the city of TH may have no sale plans as yet, but we will be well placed to sell out if we have city wide meters. Profitability will be greater with meters already in and the sale price would more than likely be higher.
The future of the city of TH is dependent on the jobs picture. The new mines up on our end of the range may provide a boost even as far south east as TH. That has a time line fairly far out for now.
The sad state of much of the older sections of town is evident to outsiders as well. The comments I hear are along the lines of "what happened to the town, there is nothing here anymore and what is left is in terrible decline. The strip through town is ugly. Downtown is horrible and empty". etc. etc.
If you think there are jobs around, just see how many families move to town with the hope of buying a home and landing a job. A trip to Mars for the same purpose would be about as hopeful an enterprise.
We are rust belt, left behind by the death of American industry and manufacturing. I watched it happen from childhood.
What is worse is what is coming. We already have a 4 day school week. The state budget deficit at 5 billion $ will leave the republicans plenty of incentive to slash Local Government Aid and School Aid.
The city and county will lose much of their revenue stream. The late Governor promised to slash local government aid and republican state senators and representatives are bent on huge cuts to LGA.
Federal and State governments are basically insolvent and they are about to institute massive cuts. Remember our campground money got axed last year. I expect Marina money to possibly die in the coming budgets. DNR is taking budget cuts. The city and county will be left to do more without the fed's and state's help we have grown addicted to.
Not to see that local government is going to be faced with the need to cut many things including jobs would be to put our heads in the sand. The world has changed the past two decades. Too many people are going to be shocked by what happens in the next 5 years. This is not an expectation of hard times in Local Government funding, this is an absolute guarantee of hard times in local government.
If we ignore what is coming, it will only make adjustment harder.
Lastly, What's up with the old Hardees building. It is a wreck and has been broken into to the point where it is wide open. Whoever owns it should be forced to demolish it as it is a safety hazard and a threat to the kids who obviously play around in there at night.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1711

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, thanks for sharing your trip. I have been wanting to go to New Mexico for a long time, one of these days it will happen.

That is too bad about your trailer, but good thing you weren't in no man's land when you started having trouble. Yes, aren't digital camera great, no worry about film. I just carry extra batteries just in case, but buy the longer lasting ones.

Your prospective on the water meters, shed a little light. That is so true, that one family probably uses a lot more water than the person next door, so why should they pay the same. Never thought of it like that.

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 89

Posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

from the roof at Louisiana Pacific.

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa80/fred_gee/lp3.jpg[/IMG]

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The water meter issue - -
Mayor Bolen got a motion passed 5 for and 2 against, to have the city pay for the installation of water meters. The money is to come from the sewer system budget, as it is very healthy - many dollars in it, and low debt service payments from it. The amount to be not more than a half million dollars. This amount based on an assumed average of $350 per meter for up to about 1400 meters. Likely cost should be lower, as recent estimates are from $100 to $200 per meter.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 888

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can not believe it!! Over the years we have heard about storm water infiltrating the sewer system and putting a strain on the sewage plant to such an extent that large amounts have been spent to handle all this extra water. Now, instead of using the sewage money for it's intended use, the upkeep of the sewage system, we are going to spend it on water meter installation!!!! For meters we do not need!! I will not be surprised if we find out that people do not use an excessive amount of water. What would you say then? And are you going to be rewarded for not wasting water? Hell no!! Will your present water bill be lowered? NO. In Tucson, where the water source is far, far away, they charge a basic fee $5.87 to be on the water line and $10.46 to be connected to the sewer. Then you pay water and sewer volume. Will our city fathers give us the opportunity to pay for what we use? I doubt it. Understand now, there will be no rewards, they are just looking for the opportunity to penalize.
Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The idea behind the water meters is that those who use a lot of water will pay more than those who use less water. Since the sewer and water usage issues are connected, a decline in water usage means a decline in sewage volume. The money from the sewage fund is a logical choice. Further, this transfer of money from the sewage fund is an in-house loan to the water fund and will be repaid. This is not an unusual funding maneuver, especially at this time. Interest rates are around 1/2% so the money in the sewage fund is earning very little. A conventional loan from an outside institution, to the water fund, would cost several percent in interest. Borrowing from the sewage fund is almost cost-free.

The idea that the city is looking for ways to penalize someone, by putting meters in the system is verry hard for me to understand. Who is being penalized, and why are they being penalized?

A key phrase in your posting says, "Then you pay water and sewer volume." Does that mean there is a household meter in the Arizona water system to measure the volume of water used in the house? Is there a household meter in the Arizona sewer system, to measure the volume of sewage sent out of the house?

You ask if the city fathers will give us the opportunity to pay for what we use? Well, yeah, that is what a water meter does. It measures how much water you use, and then you get billed for what you use. That is what this is all about.

As it is, now, we have no idea how the water is being used. It was only recently learned that the golf course had been running city water to keep the water hazard filled. In the past it was not an uncommon thing for some people to keep their water running almost continually, for watering their lawns. Since new commercial water customers now have their water metered, there have been changes in commercial usage. Car dealers shut the water off instead of just leaving it run between car cleanings. Lots were swept instead of washed. (Moot point, now that the last car dealer in town has moved outside the city limits.) Car washes now recycle their water to keep costs down.

The city knows, of course, just how much water is pumped from the lake and treated - they can measure that. But, there is no way of knowing if every drop of that is being delivered to the customers. Some of it could be lost by leakage from the system. The city knows how much water is being treated by the ca-ca plant, that can be measured. But there is no way of knowing how much of that is from sewage, and how much of that is from infiltration. There will be some discrepancies because of lawn watering and household car washing, but that kind of water use will change also, when you have to pay for what you use. It is only fair to pay for what you use.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 889

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think, Tom, you will find that I said the City will not reward you for saving water, but they will penalize those that use more. What I see happening is the City will charge us all the same flat rate we pay now and allow us X amount of water. If they find we use less water then X, I do not see them charging us less. So, you will not be rewarded. But if you use more, you will be penalized. So the City fathers will let us pay for the water we use and we can also pay for some we do not use. Oh wait!! Penalty for wasters and savers. That's fair all around. Not.

There are a lot of communities that charge for sewer at the rate of water you use. Tucson is one. Closer to home is Minneapolis, they charge you yearly for the sewer according to the amount of water you use during the Winter months. The idea being that all water used during the Winter goes into the sewer, but in the Summer some of the water used goes outside.

As far as the sewer fund loaning to the water fund; It still is money spent that needs to, or should be replaced. So, even if the City uses that money to install meters, the home owner still has to replace it. But, my point really was; There is more important and needed work that should be done to the sewers instead of using this money to install meters.

And, finally, as I stated before, I do not think they will find homes that use an excessive amount of water. Homes watering lawns? Hell, one in two hundred, maybe even less than that.
Just leave it alone.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 286

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to know if the terms of the water tower project require the City to install water meters. The early information seems to indicate not. And if not, someone made an intentional decision based upon a possibly flawed interpretation of the requirements attached to the water tower money. Who would that person be? And if the decision was based on an incorrect understanding, do we have any recourse? Is there a penalty for using water tower money for something that was not a requirement of the project? I don't know that I am really against metering water, but I am disappointed at the way this has come about. One more thing and maybe I'll shut up . . . . If it is found that we don't need them to comply with a rule, will the City still make the move to metered water? I suspect the answer is yes.
Brad Alm
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 589
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Point blank... there is no requirement to have meters. If the city did not have metering before the improvement project, metering is not required now.

Someone screwed up. Maybe a number of folks did. I do not know who. Likely an administrative or oversight task that was deficient. Some poor communications issues, too, among all parties concerned.

We have the meters. New homes have to have them. It would be good business to have them.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 890

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be good business to have them.

I would be willing to give you better than even odds that should a vote be taken you would find yourself in a very small minority.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff, it would not surprise me at all. The meters are still a good idea and good business.

tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 644

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2011 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

frosted, does that mean you are not in favor of electric or gas meters then either?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 891

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

frosted, does that mean you are not in favor of electric or gas meters then either?

I would hope that is not a serious question. The truth is, I am not against water meters. Although, with a lake full of water, I think they are a luxury that the city can not afford. What concerns me is that I feel the city will not charge you for the water you use but charge you for the water they think you should use. We all ready pay more for water than a lot of areas. Do you think the city will give this money up? What are water meters for if not to charge for water and sewer used? I have not asked anyone how they will charge, but I ask again: Do you think the city will give up any of the money they are now taking in?
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 591
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff, with a lake full of water just outside city hall, we are not paying for the water. We are paying for everything that happens, to get the water from the lake to the house and the used water back eventually to the lake. You knew that, of course.

Now, what I am hopeful of is the possibility that the city will install the meters and then study the usage rates for the various households - and then decide what is an average usage that is comparable to the current billing setup. What should then happen is that small households - one or two people, will end up paying less. Households with three or four people will end up paying about the same as the current un-metered rate, and large households will end up paying more. Further, those other households that are not smart about their water usage will end up paying more, too.

There will be much thunder and lightning at first because people just naturally oppose change. The loudest complaints will be from the households that use a LOT of water, as they will end up paying more.

With a new "normal" use rate established, rates will stabilize and not go up again until the cost of doing water business goes up.

I do not expect the city to be giving up any money that is now collected for water. I just expect that it will now be collected in a more equitable manner, instead of the small households subsidizing the large households.

I'm hoping for the best.
tom koehler

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If a community were to be built today, the requirement is 3 miles between a water intake and a sewage discharge. Lucky for us, we are grandfathered in at 4000' by water from discharge to intake. Something to think about.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 892

Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just think, it used to be raw sewage dumping into Agate Bay.
Just leave it alone.

todd_r
Pro Poster

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember reading a newspaper story in the archives at the library, from the 1930's.
The city had been experiencing some tainted water from the intake.
They attributed much of it to the ore boats dumping their sewage right outside Two Harbors.
They were considering moving the water plant to Fisherman's Point.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 893

Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ore boats never had a mass dumping of sewage. Every flush just went right into the water. The Reserve was the fist boat I sailed that had a sewage tank. I do not know if it was a treatment tank or if it was pumped. I never knew of anyone taking care of it.
Just leave it alone.

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 90

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The difference between water meters and gas & electric is that the water meter has to be installed inside the house, it would freeze outside whereas the gas & elec will not. I'm not in favor of making arrangements every month to let the meter reader in when I'm not home. I don't mind him walking through the yard collecting gas & power numbers but unless theres a system where the homeowner records the number and writes it down with your city bill each month I'm strongly not in favor. We live on the biggest fresh water lake on this side of the world I really don't see why it's even being debated.

On another note, does anybody know what's going on in the ditches of CSAH 26? Is that a walking/recreation trail?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 894

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I understand that the meters have a read out the is outside the house.

I heard that they are making a walking/bike path.
Funny, all this talk about no money and we have 3 or more projects; walking/bike trail, high speed internet and the boat landing. Seems to me the money could be better spent in other areas.
Just leave it alone.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fireball I am not saying you guys should have meters but there is technology to be able to read the meters without coming into your home. We have had it here in Eagan since the mid 90's. If I remember correctly the city came in and installed something allowing them to read it without coming into the homes. Not sure how it works and where they actually do the reading from. We get a bill every three months showing our water usage.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1714

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when my parents lived down in the cities, someone from the city just drove through the alley and recorded info.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 645

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLP reads my eletric meter remotely. I don't even think they have to drive down the road. I think the meter transmits a radio signal that they read at their office. Probably do the same for the water meters.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 95

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The water meters will transmit a signal that a city worker with a receiver device will pick up remotely. There is no need to come into a home or business to read the meters.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1719

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One minute we have no water pressure, then when we go to use it again, there is alot of pressure. Twice now this has happened in the past hour.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 895

Posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I answered a while back, but did not push the post button. ????
I had the same trouble. But I had a lot of discolored water.
I was thinking that they were getting the new tower into operation.

Does anyone know when the old tower is coming down? Will they tell us? I think a lot of people would like to watch.
Just leave it alone.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 96

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New water tower is full of H2O right now. The old water tower is slated to be taken down the week of July 11th 2011

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1722

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going to miss seeing that tower.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 896

Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think someone should cut windows in the tank and make a restaurant.

Hey, Seth, I hear that the old tank has a lot of ice in it. Are they going to bring it down with all the ice still in it? That would make a hell of a bang.
I would imagine that they will take it down with explosives.
The city should sell tickets. You could pave a street.
Just leave it alone.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First I've heard of the ice in the tank. My understanding is they come in with cranes and take it apart. They say it should go really quick. No explosives.

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 91

Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know exactly what is actually wrong with the old tower of power?

If they don't need to enter buisness's to check the meter, then why do they still do it?

And how long before someone gets hurt at gooseberry and split rock, take a drive up there and check out the madness at the gates.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 98

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The new water meters with the radio signals have not begun being installed yet. I think if you call the specific dept you're having issues with they can put a remote meter/dial on your existing one. Your existing one stays in place, but they hook up a wire that runs through the building and connects to a smaller dial that mounts on the outside of your building. When the city worker comes and reads the meter they don't actually read the dial on the meter inside the building, they read the dial on the remote dial outside of the building. No need to enter the building. Call city hall at 5631 to enquire about remotes if you have a concern.

The July 11th tear down of the old tower has been delayed due to some issues with the booster stations. The engineering firm is working to resolve the issue with the booster stations. Until then the old tower is going to stay in operation.

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two Harbors City Council Meetings are now available on the internet. Go the link below and you'll see the first meeting that was posted. The goal is to have the meetings posted on this site with in a week of the actual meeting. We are testing this service to see how it works and interest level. The videos will be posted on this delayed schedule until we can get a live streaming option going.

I believe we are going to have a link posted on the city of two harbors website in the near future.

I hope you that don't have cable, dish, snowbirds, or those who don't live in Two Harbors will now be able to see your city council in action. Any technical issues or suggestions can be emailed to me at councilormcdonald@gmail.com. This has been a goal of mine since before being on the city council. I want to thank the city council, the cable commission, and Jennifer for their support in getting this up and running

Get a cup of your favorite beverage and enjoy!

http://www.livestream.com/thpact13

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 897

Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mean we are not getting our water from the new tower yet? I had assumed we were.

Great news about the council meeting, Seth. I always felt that getting it through cable was a gyp.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 592
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Council meetings on the internet! Cool beans! Thanx Seth!
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recent tarball posting in the Chronny mentions a council member who rolls through stop signs and another who parks in handicapped parking spaces at the courthouse, simply because he can. What up?
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1728

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH my what is this telling us, do some people think they are better than others,use their power! This is not a good imagine at all, whoever said they can park there should be ashamed of themselves!
It really irks me I see someone park in a handicap place, no sticker, or they have one, and they can walk better than either one of us, come now. Maybe they had a use for it at one point, but don't abuse it.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 710

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree about the city councilor being bad about the rolling through stop signs and the one parking wherever they want because they think they are special. That is uncalled for and it's that "holier than thou" attitude that gets people boiling. BUT....it's not always obvious why people have handicapped stickers. Just because they walk fine doesn't mean they don't have a heart issue or a lung issue or some other "not so obvious" reason for needing that sticker. I know there are people that do indeed abuse the sticker, but they are used by more then just people who can't walk well.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1729

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that, but there are people that I KNOW, who have abused it, their medical issues are past, and as long as they have the sticker, why not use it, is their attitude. I was referring to these people.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 898

Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Concerning stop signs;
In my opinion the number of stop signs has been a problem for more than a few years. One person, one person, can ask for a stop sign and up it goes. A dozen can ask it be removed and no luck. One person can say my child almost got hit by a car near this corner, I want a stop sign. Up it goes. A number of years later, her child is driving a car and is a part of the "problem." But we have a stop sign fore ever. A retired highway patrol's dog gets hit by a car when it runs into the street. He asks for a stop sign a half block away from his house. Never mind the leash law. Never mind that he bought a house in Wisc. and is moving down there. Hell no!! Put up a stop sign. The traffic is too fast on 9th street when there are games at Odegard. No games at Odegard in the Winter, but the stop sign remains. Don't ask the police to set up a radar stop on that street during game nights. No, that would only be what they were hired for and an added source of income. No, we will handle our speed problem with stop signs. Why not put a stop sign on every corner and have the cops sit in the office ready to answer any call? People are buying cars for gas mileage? We'll fix that. Make them stop at every corner. Streets in town are marginally used. But the corners have four way stops. WTH? So your stopping at all these corners and there is seldom any traffic at all. It is stupidity. Talk to your friends and neighbors. See what they feel about all their stop signs. I am willing to bet that a large majority feel there are too many. But will the council listen to their constituents on this topic? Hell no!! Yes, the people in TH coast through stop signs. They have been doing it for many years. Do you know why this is? Because all these stop signs are very unpopular. TAKE DOWN HALF OF THEM!!!!!!
Just leave it alone.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 905

Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think some corners were dangerous and it's good that they're 4 way stops now. Like at 5th St & 4th Ave right on the hill. But yes, unfortunatly, once they go up and the need changes, the sign stays.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 899

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The corner of 5th and 4th never had a stop going South because years ago, a car that made a stop there in the Winter would spin out because of the steepness of that hill. Even though it was a corner near a school, common sense won out and no stop sign was put there. I can not say the placement of stop signs today are made using common sense in all cases.
Just leave it alone.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 712

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want to paste this here for future reference. Taken from an article in the Duluth News Tribune regarding MN law makers reaching a budget deal:

"The other plan delays $700 million in state payments to schools, freeing up the money for state programs."

So the next time we wonder why we have a 4 day school week or why the district keeps asking us to pass a referendum, let's remember this. It's not because our school is spending unwisely or that teachers are making too much money. It's because they aren't getting all their money to run the school.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1738

Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there really a need for 4 different garbage haulers in our town? I don't know, choice maybe. Today I saw Nordic Waste, stop at one place along our alley, and there was another Nordic truck following it??? It isn't that our population has gone up, as it hasn't. Thinking back(good old days maybe) on when just LaBonne's had it, and they had just an ordinary big old garbage truck, and wow how they could stack the garbage in there...I know they could dump it in town. Times sure have changed, and not sure if it is for the better.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 900

Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aren't you forgetting Mahers garbage business?
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been a Maher customer for 40 years. I can understand that the large number of garbage haulers is part of competition, and that helps keep costs down and efficiency up. I am concerned that the largest players might be able to undercut the smaller businesses, drive them out of business... and then jack up the prices once the competition is gone. I only hope that there will be enough business for the smaller outfits, to keep them in business and prosper. This will keep the big operators honest.
tom koehler

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We always had Maces' business haul our garbage when I was a kid. I remember that big old open box truck they had. I heard stories that during the week it hualed garbage and on the weekend it was sprayed out and used to move pianos and furniture. Mace sure got his use out of that truck. Flakes, were you part of that moving crew in your younger days?

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 901

Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, but your brother worked the garbage route a few times, I think.
We used the Dodge GT (garbage truck) to haul gravel to Mace's shack to expand the parking lot, more than once.
Just leave it alone.

lennon
Rookie Poster
Username: lennon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last year I rented a construction dumpster from Maher's to use while doing my roof. When Mace showed up to get it he went into my yard and picked up all the little pieces here and there that I missed, grabbed a couple bags of garbage, and hauled away a very large tree branch that had fallen off during a recent storm. All he had to do was hook up the trailer and drive off, but he chose to do more. Also the times I've forgotten to put my trash cans by the alley on pick up day the guys have gone to the other side of my garage and grabbed it. You can't ask for much more than that.

lloyd_christmas
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flakes he was the one that told me about using that truck to haul furniture on the weekends. I know he helped move the furniture but he didn't mention anything about hauling garbage though. According to him it was our dad that gave Mace his nickname. According to him, Mike had just bought Mace Einarsons car and pulled up one morning in front of our house. I guess my dad looked out the window and said, "I wonder what Mace is doing here" I guess from then on he was dubbed Mace.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration