Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * City issues again II < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 902

Posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about this walking path on CASA?
I was told: The City got a grant for this path. That if the city was under a certain size, I believe it was 5,000, the county takes care of the undertaking. That, in most cases, the county just turns the grant project back to the city and lets them take care of it. Not the case with "I'm in control" Al Goodman.
So that is what I was told by someone who is high up in city services.
This trail will probably be very nice for anyone who wants to use it.
What I question is that bridge over the RR tracks. What's up with that? Why was half the bridge taken out of service for the Summer. Basically, it was torn up and left to stand with no work done on it for quite a while. I also wonder what percentage of the grant is being spent on the bridge. I would think that something could have been engineered without spending so much money. Like metal hangers for an expanded metal walkway hanging over the south side of the bridge. Also, I was told the bridge, when built, was made wide enough for a snow machine crossing where the walking path is now going. It just seems to me that a hell of a lot of money is being spent on that bridge. They could, perhaps, almost doubled the length of the trail if that cost was kept down. Just my view on the subject.
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ff, please fill me in a bit more, just what you are talking about. What is CASA? What railroad bridge are you talking about?

I try to keep up with stuff in the community, but all I have for information is the Chronny and the Duluth paper - both of which are not all that informative.

The only project which includes a path or trail that I am aware of, is a possible 8th Street reconstruction project, to widen that street south of 7th Avenue, and extend it to 1st Avenue or thereabouts.

I am legitimately curious, and not trying to pull your chain.
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 647

Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the one in question is Lake County 26, which goes from 7th Ave, North, past Super One and Pamida, East to Hwy 2. there is currently work being done on a walking/hiking trail in the right of way on the East and South side. This of course crosses the tracks and the bridge over the tracks needs to be widen to accomodate the foot/bike traffic.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 596
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah. CSAH26.
Goodman never met an engineering project he didn't like. Gets his ya-ya's from it.
This trail will tie in with part of the trail that will follow the reconstructed 8th Street, whenever that happens.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 903

Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah,CSAH. I knew it was some gay sounding acronym.
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1742

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay now I have heard everything, read Tom's letter in the paper and I had never heard or read about them wanting to change a stoplight from 7th Street to 8th Street. Now that is one of dumbest things I have heard. That isn't going to help for goodness sakes. I agree Tom there will be more accidents on 7th and 7th, no doubt about that. This is one of the main access to downtown from uptown, always has been. I am going to disagree with having roundabouts, we have encountered several of them on our travels this summer and we don't like them at all, and plowing them in the winter, I don't know. We talked to many locals in areas that have them, and they HATE them.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, roundabouts are not popular with some people. SWMBO and I encountered lots of them in So.Cal. not far from the L.A. core, and once you get in the rhythm of them, and figure out how to make what would otherwise be a left turn, they are pretty good. No stopping for anyone at any time in any direction. The potential for confusion is there, though, I will certainly admit that.
In our town though, about the only possible room for a roundabout would be at the CSAH26 (Super One/Pamida) intersection - especially if the city and county go ahead with the service road project in that area. Good clear signage ahead of the intersection would help drivers choose which lane to go into, according to their desired destination.
Yes, plowing would be a problem. It may be worthwhile to inquire with Twin Cities crews that have to deal with them. I understand that roundabouts have come to that area.
My main gripe is the part about possibly moving the stoplight.
I am glad for your remarks, blondie. Thank you.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1743

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom I just totally agree with you about the stoplight thing.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 904

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What the hell. Instead of moving the stoplight, let's just add a few more. And there are half a doz. intersections, around town, without 4 way stops. Let's get behind the Chamber and make scenic Two Harbors a place where everyone will stop.
Just leave it alone.

petitcheval
Pro Poster
Username: petitcheval

Post Number: 906

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stopping is good.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 907

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, how do I change my picture on my profile?

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 908

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a new food one that's way more fun...

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 909

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 02:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We should start a movie about food in general...or scarier issues. Perhaps I shall try n incite such a thing....later.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 905

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally read Tom's commentary.
They are going to make another access to down town? What the hell? Why in the hell did they cut down the trees on 6th St. and widen that? Changed the name to Water Front Drive. People were going to come from all over the world to drive down Water Front Drive into bustling down town TH. But wait, I can understand the need for another access thoroughfare. The traffic on 6th and 7th Streets is just horrendous. On any given day, you can see 4 or 5 cars on these streets. What the hell is going on? I thought that 26 was built to take traffic off the City streets. Isn't there enough streets in this town that need repair? But money is going to be spent on our answer to "the bridge to nowhere." If the county engineer isn't involved in this, I'd be surprised.
Just leave it alone.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 906

Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way; Hi Petitcheval. It's been awhile.
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Engineeers are a strange breed, and in my opinion, Goodman is an example of the stereotype. There have been episodes throughout his career here. He is certainly persistent - maybe stubborn. Like a dog with a bone, he takes an idea in his teeth and runs with it. Some interesting rebuilds on county roads outside of town a few miles, that look nice but make no sense. (to me, anyway)

As far as traffic on 7th street is concerned, it is not unusual to see northbound traffic on 7th street backed up a block or more, waiting to get onto 7th Avenue, in midweek - and not just during our rush half-hour.

26 doesn't take any traffic off of 7th Avenue, it simply provides access to Super 1, Pamida, and the new land that the Chamber of Commerce and Others are trying to exploit. High-end housing developments with mini-mansions and curvy-streets-to-nowhere, attempting to lure executives for businesses that do not want to locate here. Occasionally some enterprise mentions an interest in some space and immediately the CoC promotes clearing some of this land and building a new edifice, all at horrendous cost, rather than trying to fix up and promote some vacant commercial space that already exists in town. feh.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 907

Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard that Seagrens Flowers will be torn down, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. One more spot open to build.
Just leave it alone.

lennon
Rookie Poster
Username: lennon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the city is willing to sell a plot of land by Pamida for a buck to spur growth, how about buying the soon to be vacant lot downtown and reselling it for a buck or a fraction of the cost for the same reason? Whoever buys it would have build and open a business there.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 979

Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Makes sense to me Lennon...

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 908

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put aside all your "I wish it were's and I'd like it to be's" and think about how much business that photo shop in the old Korner Café has not had because they did not put their shop on 7th Avenue. Free land does not necessarily make a good building site. Why do you suppose there are vacant lots and buildings downtown. It is hard enough to start a business without opening where there is little or no traffic. That photo shop owner was in love with an idea. Years ago the City moved the liquor store form downtown to where the business is. But they would like other business's to be where there is no customers. I can not believe that people are willing to spend vast amounts on a bad business choice.
Just leave it alone.

lennon
Rookie Poster
Username: lennon

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your business relies on a steady flow of customers through your doors then 7th Ave should be your location. But there's no reason a building can't be built downtown that houses office type jobs. There's already a law office, insurance business, HDC offices, city hall, and I'm probably forgetting one or two. ( I guess I'm not sure if they still print a chronicle. ) Or it could be any business that doesn't require high volume foot traffic. I wonder what kind of businesses are we promoting downtown for? My guess is that it's going to be a long time before that area is retail hotspot.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lennon, I think you are right, about walk-in customers and business location. That said, I think it is also true that some businesses, like the hardware store (my favorite, probably) are a kind of "destination" store. By that, I mean that if you are buying a hardware item, it is usually not a spur-of-the-moment purchase, and you will readily go wherever the store is, to get what you want.

Of course, 7th Avenue is the main artery for tourist traffic, and any business which depends on being able to snag customers who maybe didn't know ahead of time that they would be customers - needs to be where the traffic is. Or there has to be signage which grabs the traveler's attention and sends the traveler to the business.

The sign on the side of the jar store, directing travelers towards First Avenue was such a beautifully done and detailed sign when new that tourists did not realize it was a directional sign. Many thought it was just a pretty picture of historical scenes and tidbits and not an informational sign. Now of course it has been damaged or vandalized, and faded and deteriorated and less attractive - and still not obviously informational.

As for the Chronicle - well its office is still where it has been since nearly forever. The presses have been gone for decades and no actual printing has happened there since. The Chronny is still published, but it is, sadly, much diminished from its former self since its takeover by the Fargo Fooler. I believe the editor does his best, but his resources are pretty much limited to what he can do with just his own two hands and an intern and an office person.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 909

Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too agree with Lennon. The computer people that had their office in the old Porger house on 7th has moved dt to First Ave. The last I heard, they liked their new location. Service seems to be a better business than retail.
Just leave it alone.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 713

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But if there is a big push to make our downtown a destination wouldn't that be beneficial for the town? We get drive-thru traffic and the businesses on 7th survive and that's all good. But is that all we are as a town? Maybe the 7th Avenue busineses could hand out scavenger hunts directing people to items that can only be found downtown. We have a lot of reasons to try to build up the downtown area as a tourist stop.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 910

Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can not get traffic down town to see the light house, breakwater, museum, Edna G. and the ore docks, how are you going to get people to go? What are you going to add to bring in people? What are you going to sell that is so unique that people will yearn to buy it? Not once, but again and again. What can you sell them that they can get nowhere else? The city counsel has talked for years about making an easier way to get down town. Why? There is no traffic jam of people going down town. What could be easier than taking 7th Street or 6th Street? 6 blocks. Just 6 blocks. That is absolutely nothing to people from a large city. Hell, people sit in traffic jams to get up the shore and they sit in bigger traffic jams to get back home on Sunday. It isn't because it is hard for people to get down town. It's because people don't want to go to our down town. When the traffic going and coming from d t gets unbearable is the time to talk about building more roads. New roads are not a reason to go d t. The sights are there. The store fronts are there. What is needed is a merchant that will create a reason for them to come. But don't hold your hand over you sss waiting for that. It's not going to happen.

Here is something that a lot of people have forgotten. Years ago, the DOT was going to extend the freeway around TH. They had an informational meeting, and the only ones to show up were the TH merchants. It was fine with most everyone in town so why go to the meeting? Just let them build it. Wrong. The merchants made such a stink, and since no one was there in favor of the bypass [like the water meter meeting] the DOT caved and did not make the bypass. Well, now many years later, it was found that the non bypass was not enough. Now there is a faction of people that want the traffic moved even further South. What is wrong with this picture? Would anyone build a retail business on the Westover road? No, the customers are on 7th Avenue. But for some reason, a few want business on 1st Avenue. Even though the customers are on 7th, there is this dream that they will change everything. The fastest way to go out of business is put it on 1st Avenue. Pure and simple. Established business could not survive on 1st, what has changed? What miracle is about to happen.

(Message edited by frosted_flakes on September 24, 2011)
Just leave it alone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1750

Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Sunday and there is a red city truck out front, has some branches in it. Interesting!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1751

Posted on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noted the big concrete planters today, NICE!!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seagren's Flowers building is still standing. At least, the parts we can see from the sidewalk. The windows are blacked out so there is no way to see what is happening (or not happening) inside.

The old Falks Drugstore building is getting spiffed up a bit. New paint and washed windows. Looks pretty nice right now.

The big concrete planters seem to be in three sizes, and scattered around the business district. Looks promising, with more room in them for more flowers, and more durable than the half-barrels (which were a very nice touch, all the same). I just hope the vandals and bored people will let them alone. The bigger ones are also tall enough that the deer will not be able to completely harvest the contents, I hope.

I'm seeing more fresh paint around town, and various smaller contractors seem to be busy in the 'hood.

Me an' Micky are about 2/3 through dismantling the house next door, for salvageable lumber and materials, plus the addition of a half-lot to our half-lot. More flowers to come. Hopefully some time next year.
tom koehler

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 714

Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is my gripe of the day:
AEOA - Arrowhead Transit.
They had some budget cuts. They lost one bus because of it. For those that used to use the "Dial and ride" you now have to wait because the City Route has priority. Meaning, if you have a child that goes to pre-school or other programs that has to ride the blue-bus, you used to be able to call and tell them what time to pick your child up from home and from pre-school. Now you can certainly call but you will just wait until they can get a bus to you. If that means your child is 15-20 minutes late for school, oh well. Not sure how it works on the picking up end of things. I DO know that both times I've talked to someone there they have been pretty snotty. I sent an e-mail to the director and got no reply. Today I left a msg with the assistant director. We'll see if he calls me back. Here is why I'm venting: Our church runs a program for pre-schoolers twice a week. 80% of our kids use the bus. We never rcvd any word from Arrowhead that there would be a change in how the bus works. Our program starts at 9:30 and runs only until 10:45. But the kids might not even get here until 9:45 or later.
When I initially called to find out what was going on(I heard from a parent), I was told they didn't tell us because they didn't know how to get in touch with us (we're a church that has been here for over 100 years) and I was snottily told that "we never know when you're running your class and when you're not because we aren't told". Anyway, so today I called just to tell them we were starting tomorrow and I was told "The PARENTS have to call us every single day if their kid needs a ride". And I wasn't told that nicely. I think I would have gotten spittal sprayed on me if it had been in person. Okay. So I was trying to be nice by giving them a heads up since I was accused of never doing that (which, by the way, I do every year 2 weeks ahead of when we start). Another problem? I have no helpers so I am in a room with 3 and 4 year olds so I cannot stand in the walkway waiting for a bus to come that may not show up for 15-20 minutes, to escort the kids off the bus yet that is what they want me to do. I love these kids and their safety is a priority for me too but I cannot hold all the kids in a walkway at the busses convenience. What do the other programs have to say that use the bus service? I try to be nice and understanding but when I do try to contact people in higher places for help and I am ignored I start to get really mad. Customer service is sadly missing.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 653

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Board of Directors

Chair

Tailspin: Here is the list of Board of Directors. I would say contact each and everyone of them and advise them of your concerns.

http://www.aeoa.org/agency-info/board-of-directors.html

Chairman of the Board - Steve Raukar, Hibbing, MN

Board Members

Kevin Adee, Internation Falls, MN

Cherri Averill-Manner, Buhl, MN

Helen Budisalovich, Duluth, MN

Thomas Bakk, Cook, MN

Paul Bergman, Two Harbors, MN

Marcia Campbell, Duluth, MN

Katherine Patricia Carlson, Ely, MN

Tom Cvar, Mt. Iron, MN

Robert Fenwick, Grand Marias, MN

Mike Forsman, Ely, MN

Jerome Jackson, Virginia, MN

James Johnson, Grand Marais, MN

Lorraine Hill, Kinney, MN

Jeff Kletscher, Floodwood, MN

Cheryl Kutsi, Gilbert, MN

Andra Lilienthal, Grand Marais, MN

Howard Mallory, Two Harbors, MN

Mark Mandich, Bovey, MN

Hope McKay, Meadowlands, MN

Elder Metsa, Cook, MN

Terry Murray, International Falls, MN

Keith Nelson, Virginia, MN

Lyle Northey, Two Harbors, MN

Les Northrup, Cloquet, MN

Laura Perry, Chisholm, MN

Donna Pospeck, Buhl, MN

Thomas R. Proulx, Cloquet, MN

Nathan Sager, Virginia, MN

Rich Sve, Two Harbors, MN

Peg Sweeney, Duluth, MN

James Varichak, Chisholm, MN

Dana Waldron, Virginia, MN

Aprille Caroon, Hibbing, MN

Brian Napstad, Aitkin, MN

Isabelle Westman, Brimson, MN
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 654

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OR

For general information:

Arrowhead Transit
702 3rd Avenue South
Virginia, MN 55792
ph: 800-862-0175 ext. 104
alt: 218-741-0724 ext. 104
fax: 218-741-5715

Contact Staff

Jack Larson, Director of Arrowhead Transit (jack.larson@aeoa.org)
Joe Gentile, Assistant Director (joe.gentile@aeoa.org)
Voni Smolke, Supervisor for Cook, Lake, Carlton & Pine Counties (voni.smolke@aeoa.org)
James Madden, Supervisor for Itasca and Aitkin Counties (james.madden@aeoa.org)
Scott Olson, Supervisor for Koochiching and St. Louis Counties (scott.olson@aeoa.org
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 715

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I e-mailed Jack Larson. Didn't hear a thing. I left a lengthy message for Joe Gentile and he DID call me back.
I think a letter writing campaign might be a good thing. Time is an issue.
Thanks. :-)

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 911

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brought up, a while ago, that Seagren's Flowers was to be torn down the next day. Well, here I sat with egg on my face. Nothing was happening. I had coffee with Dick yesterday and asked him about it, as it was he that told me it was coming down. It seems that there is a problem getting someone to take it down, as it shares a common will with it's neighbor, North, South or both. Seems the price of demolition goes up quite a bit in a situation such as this.
Just leave it alone.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 648

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One would think that both North and South property owners would be willing to share the costss of the demolition. After all, wouldn't that improve the value of both their properties?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1754

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really like that "City Scene" that comes in the mail.

In the reminder to pet owners, "pet owners are also reminded that it is unlawful for the owner of any animal to permit such animal to run at large within the city". Sounds good on paper doesn't it, but that is all it is "paper". There are so many cats and dogs running around and what is done about it...NOTHING. This is an ongoing issue here in the city, it is getting old now!!

fireball_440
Pro Poster
Username: fireball_440

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any news of progress on the breakwall destruction project?

and water tower? is it in use yet?

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 858

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa! What breakwall destruction project? Do you mean the marina? Is something happening to the break wall as part of that?!?!?
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 602
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could be some level of minor confusion, maybe.
Old coal dock structure is unstable and due for demolition, as part of the safe harbor/marina project, inside the breakwall.
tom koehler

seth_mcdonald
Pro Poster
Username: seth_mcdonald

Post Number: 100

Posted on Friday, October 14, 2011 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old water tower will be emptied soon. Yet this fall. I'm not sure when it will be taken down. I would guess that work could be done over the winter months, but that has not yet been indicated. They need to empty it before it gets too cold.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill-

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1758

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

made three trips to the city yard waste site today, and I like that they have signs where different yard waste should be dumped. It was busy there with vehicles coming and going.

I hope the city keeps that parking area down by Burlington Bay, always see cars parked there. But I suppose this winter a good "nor'easter" will take care of that.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tent is comin' down!
The tent over the Mallet is coming down, and the engine is beautiful! Probably looks better than it did when it was new. (no clouds of world war to dull the pleasurable newness)
Todd Lindahl and the rest of the crew involved have completed a regular tour de force, a work of art, a thing of beauty.
Steam heads all over the country are gonna be wowed by this engine that helped us win WW2.
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 649

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations on a job well done to all that helped out on this project. It's been along time coming. If only we could see it roll down the tracks one more time and hear that whistle blow one more time.

strwblue
Pro Poster

Post Number: 655

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apparently the Lake Bank Branch in Super One was Robbed today. On Christmas Eve. Not a good sign of the future.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 604
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WTF?
here?
Two Harbors?
tom koehler

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 650

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/218160/group/News/

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 605
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is it that bank videos are so notoriously poor? Especially with the resources they have? Cripes! I installed a video security system in a location I will not disclose, that shows excellent detail from 5 different cameras, and is recorded on a digital video recorder. Cost was quite low and the installation was simple. All off-the-shelf items. Maybe I should go into the security business. nah.
tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 914

Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, Tom. Today these security pictures are so grainy and out of focus, yet, 42 years ago we got pictures back from the moon that were great. How could they have done that and not get good pictures in a bank today? How did they do that?
Just leave it alone.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 606
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, ff, the snapshots taken on the moon were done with a Hasselblad film camera. Any video images were done with the best equipment that the gummint could come up with.
The bank video cameras are apparently a low quality camera. (read that as cheap)
There is some pretty nice video gear out there now, for very reasonable prices.
tom koehler

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 93

Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.fox21online.com/?q=news/suspected-two-harbors-bank-robber-caught-proc tor

TWO HARBORS - Police have made an arrest in a holiday bank robbery in Two Harbors.

25–year–old Kenneth Moore of Finland was arrested in Proctor.

Police say Moore robbed the Lake Bank Super One branch around 10 o'clock Christmas eve morning.

He allegedly walked into the bank, handed the teller a note saying he had a gun and demanded money.

No one was hurt.

Moore is behind bars in the Lake County jail on Aggravated Robbery and Theft charges.

A decision on charging moore in federal or state court will be decided next week.

fireball_440
Pro Poster

Post Number: 94

Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And any other opinions on the breakwater destruction project? Seems to me it was much better laid out before this multi-million dollar project.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 986

Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have missed the news on the breakwater destruction project.
Would appreciate more info on it....

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holy guacamole! The proposed construction project on 8th street is alive and well, but it doesn't know where it is going!

Here's the deal... there is county and city money going into this, because of the jurisdictional status of that road - partial county jurisdiction, basically.

First, there will not be any business of moving the stoplight from 7th Street, to 8th Street.

There are three basic options on street width, depending upon whether or not there will be parking on one side, both sides, or neither side. Additional options include sidewalks on one side or both sides - or sidewalk on one side and a paved "trail" on one side - or paved "trail" on one sode and no sidewalk on the other side.

A sidewalk is 5 feet wide and a trail is 8 feet wide, plus a minimum of 2 feet separation from the roadway. A sidewalk can be right next to the curb.

The county engineer says he is confident that the project can be easily contained within the existing right of way. The average listener hears the project can be built within the existing curb-to-curb roadway.

Well, here's the attention getter, and the engineer specifically mentioned this - the right of way is 70 feet wide, and the existing road is 25 feet wide. What this means is that 22 1/2 feet from the existing curb is still right-of-way for road construction, on each side of the road. Some property owners have their yard developed right up to the edge of the sidewalk, which is right next to the curb. This means that 16 1/2 feet of their yard is actually right-of-way that could be used for the road work project.

If you live on 8th Street, south of 7th Avenue, grab your measuring tape and measure 35 feet from the center of the road. That is the extent of right-of-way on your side of the road and some of that space might be in what you think is your yard.

I am all for repairing 8th Street. It is overdue. At least one side of that street should have a sidewalk on it. My preference is for sidewalks on both sides, but one side will do.

If you live on this street, contact the city council and let them know your concerns, if you have any. Only one property owner was there with questions and concerns. You have an opportunity to influence how this street is rebuilt, but you gotta act kinda soon.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1794

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your not kidding Tom when you say Holy guacamole. This is going to take time to digest.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1802

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The city should have plowed the Avenues again today, talk about a mess, if it freezes, oh my gosh. Just came across 8th Ave, it was terrible!!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Information regarding Two Harbors Ordinance #65

Ordinance 6 sec 3.20

Okay folks, I got one and I am sure that many other city addressees got one recently, too.

It is plain black and white, and official looking, with bold letters on the back saying, "OFFICIAL CITY INFORMATION"

Very strictly speaking, this is correct. The informatioion is official, regarding the installation of city water meters at the city's expense.

HOWEVER -- this is an advertisement from Bluewater Plumbing Heating and AC, at 6420 Redruth St. in Duluth - about the 6500 Av West, area.

The mailer says the homeowner must contact Bluewater Services no later than March 31st, implying that there may be additional charges if contacted after that date.

I am not going to tell you what to do. I, however, am going to contact a LOCAL plumber before the end of this month, for the project.

tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1803

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No never got that, but got something else "IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR WATER SERVICE LINE"...claiming we are not covered by water service line coverage. It is from HomeServe USA Repair Management Corp. Forget this one. Kind of strange I think.
I brought that to city hall, and it is a scam more or less. They said in our next billing there will be more information about the water meters.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 652

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I have gotten those in the mail also, and I do not have city water or sewer. Got my own well and septic system. I sent them a response asking them if they would drill me a new well if my well went dry, or install a new septic system if it would ever fail. Haven't heard back from them since.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1822

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

got another one of those stupid mailings about buying insurance for "Water Lines". This one was in a very large white envelope.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, I just got one of those today, too. Same big white envelope. Did a google search on the outfit - they do this scam all across the country. What safer thing to insure than a water line? Bunch of crooks, I say. scammers! Some communities have had to make this company change their mailings, to make sure that the recipients of the mailers know that the company has no connection with the local water authority or sewer authority.
Not knowing you, I will guess that you are of a "certain age" maybe not too unlike myself - supposedly an easy mark for this kind of ambiguous mailing. Am applying for medicare soon, and am sure my name is on a list of "officially old folks" - I get stuff like this every once in awhile.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1823

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes, both of us are well into that "officially old folks" age. We are always getting "garbage"! My friend got a call awhile back from someone saying her grandson was in an accident in Italy and needed "money". Well they put some guy on the phone, and she swore it was her grandson, so she almost ran to Duluth to wire off money, they told her exactly where in Duluth to go even,but thought she better call her son in the cities first..good thing she did!! When the money never arrived they called her again! She did turn this into the police. She felt like a fool thinking she almost got "scammed". So either they are trying to get you by phone or mail!!!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, yeah... I've heard of the relative in trouble scam... am waiting for someone to tell me my grandson is in trouble somewhere - I'll send 'em to the vatican as a miracle child. (I have no kids)
tom

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1825

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know we had lots of rain, but even before all this rain, yards were getting out of hand. Yes, many homes are empty with for sale signs, but aren't the agents selling those homes responsible for keeping the grass cut? Many are not empty and the yards look terrible. Hopefully with this break in the rain, some of these yards will be cut, before the next round. Yes, I know I have complained about this in the past!!

tailspin
Princess of the Realm

Post Number: 726

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what's going on where the old high school was? Lots of digging.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assisted living housing project.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1830

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2012 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a home for handicap people that live uptown now. Heard that today.

petitcheval
Pro Poster

Post Number: 911

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this thing on??? Hi y'all...been awhile. So, who's new house is that on the old high school hill?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1842

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

believe it is for handicap people.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster

Post Number: 918

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have waited and waited but no one commented on the "SAY NO TO BEANO" sign at the corner of 11th Ave. and 6th Street.
I thought it was very clever in the way it brought doughnuts into the equation.
I have also waited for someone to bring up Robin Glaser's write in campaign.
Just leave it alone.

spiderzero
Regular Poster
Username: spiderzero

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frosted Flakes, that is fantastic! Some people have to realize what they could actually be voting FOR. If you vote AGAINST Bolen, your voting FOR Beno. Take it as you wish.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1856

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice that they replaced the sidewalks on the 700 block of ninth avenue, then black topped that terrible block, but why didn't they install new curbing!!! It needs it that is for sure.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 862

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those sidewalks were bad. When we lived on that block, I always hoped they would never fix the street. The big bumps really slowed people down and that was a good thing. Watch out for cars kids!
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

cathy
Regular Poster
Username: cathy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,
This is just a reminder about the Candidate Forum, Tonight (Thurs. Oct. 18) at 7pm at the Two Harbors Community Center. This event is being hosted by the Lake County News Chronicle and Two Harbors Chamber. Candidates for Mayor and City Council that have contested races were invited to participate.

Invitations were sent to:
Mayor Candidates Randy Bolen and Mary Rosati
At Large City Council Candidates Beno Rosati and Write-In Robin Glaser
Ward 3 Candidates Cathy Erickson (me!) and Linda Melcher

I am looking forward to the opportunity not only to share what I think I can bring to the table as Ward 3's representative, but also to listen to the candidates running for city-wide offices.

So if you live in Ward 3, I hope you can come tonight and I would appreciate the opportunity to visit with you. But this night is for everyone so I hope there is a great turnout.

Kind regards,
Cathy Erickson - Candidate Ward 3, City Council
cathy.ward3@frontier.com

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1861

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Water usage is on our bills, but we are not being charged yet, but I went back like three months and every month it has jumped. We were gone the % of last billing month, and no watering the grass or flowers anymore, so not sure. Talking to friends they have noted the same thing on their bills also, some had quite a jump, we are talking two members or one member to the household, no children. No drippy faucets here either had them all taken care of. Kind of curious about this!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Will have to check our water usage numbers.
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1863

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why is our local channel so darn loud on TV, it is terrible. Switching channels and you hit that one, you about get blasted out of the room.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 624
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you could get expert response from strwblue on this matter. If I understand correctly she is the local channel pro and would have a very good handle on this item.
tom koehler

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For Two Harbors folks out there...the Edna G Tug Commission is looking for a few more members. This is a group of volunteers, appointed by the city council, to conduct certain types of business or activities for the tugboat. The commission acts as a sort of investigative arm of the council, in this case specifically about the tugboat. For example, new mooring lines were needed and the commission informed the council of this need. Likewise it was deemed important, by the commission, that a hull survey be conducted to determine the hull thickness and to see if there are thin spots in the hull. The hull was examined and thin spots found. Also, it was discovered that hull anodes were missing or painted over...so divers have installed new anodes. A diver was also hired to find and plug a leak in the hull, in the aft bilge area. Also, the commission recommended the bilge be scraped clean and painted to control corrosion from the inside. There is no pay to the commission members for what they do, other than the satisfaction of helping protect an icon of the city and a historic monument besides. If you are interested in getting on this commission, contact me or city hall.
tom koehler

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration