Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Local Topics & Issues * State Issues < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

homeontherange
Pro Poster
Username: homeontherange

Post Number: 661

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2012 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading the opinon in the chronny about the voter ID law to be voted on this election, I thought I would do a little research to find out what is involved to obtain a valid voter ID for those individuals who do not have one. I personally am going to vote NO, but in the event this passes, I would recommend to all, to obtain a valid voter ID anyway. You never know when that drivers license may not be renewed for whatever reasons old age may put upon us to be denied a renewal. It will be nice to have a back up. Besides, we are being told that is going to be free?! Check out this process and see how "free" it really is. Consider a person who has neither a valid drivers license or picture ID. Most of this information was gleaned from the MN State Registrars web site.

The steps to obtain a MN valid voter ID card.

Step 1 - Do you have a valid MN drivers license?
Yes - Go to step 9
No - Go to step 2

Step 2 - Do you have a valid MN picture ID card?
Yes - Go to step 9
No - Go to step 3

Step 3 - Do you have a valid government issued certificate of birth?
Yes - Go to step 8
No - Go to step 4

Step 4 - You can get a birth certificate only if you have tangible interest.
• Some records are confidential and can only be obtained by certain people.
• Valid ID is required.
• The fee is $26. If you order more than one copy, each additional copy of the same record is $19. Fees are non

-refundable, as per Minnesota Statutes, section 144.226.
• If no birth record can be found, you will receive a certified “Statement of No Birth Record Found.” Go to step 5

Step 5 - What is a Valid ID?

Primary Documents

• Certified birth record issued by a government bureau of vital statistics or board of health in the United States, District

of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands
• Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545 or DS-1350) issued by the U.S. Department of State
• Report of Birth Abroad of a United States Citizen (FS-240) issued by a U.S. embassy
• Certified adoption certificate from a U.S. court
• Valid, unexpired U.S. passport book or card
• Secure unexpired Minnesota tribal identification card.
• Unexpired active duty, reserve or retired U.S. military identification card (DD-2 or Geneva Conventions Common Access

Card)
• Valid, unexpired passport from a country other than the U.S. with an unexpired I-94 form or with an unexpired I-551

stamp
• Canadian birth or naturalization certificate with an unexpired I-94 form attached (Must be presented with a photo

Secondary Document issued by a Canadian government agency)
• One of the following valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Department of Justice or U.S. Department of

Homeland Security
- Employment Authorization card with photo (I-688 or I-766 series)
- Permanent Resident or Resident Alien card (I-551 or I-151)*
- Re-entry Permit/Refuge Travel Document (I-327, I-571)
- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)
- United States Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
- Northern Mariana Card (I-873)
- American Indian Card (I-872)

Secondary Documents

• Another primary document
• Photo driver’s license, state identification card or permit, issued by a U.S. state other than Minnesota, the District of

Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands or a Canadian province or territory, that is current or expired for

five years or less
• U.S. social security card (nonmetal) or Canadian social insurance card
• Certified birth certificate from a government jurisdiction other than the U.S., the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto

Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands
• Certified government-issued marriage certificate
• Certified U.S. or Canadian court order with full name and date of birth
• Certified secondary or post-secondary school transcript containing legal full name and date of birth
- • Current secondary school (grades 7-12) student identification card with student’s name, photograph and

date of birth or unique identification number
• Government employee photo identification card from a jurisdiction in the U.S. or Canada
• Current identification card (DD-1173 or DD-214) issued by the U.S. Department of Defense
• Unexpired color-photo permit to carry a firearm or concealed weapon, issued by a U.S. police department or sheriff
• Current pilot’s license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration Go to Step 6

Step 6 - Do you have one of each of the Primary and Secondary documents?
Yes - Go to step 7
No - You can only vote a provisional ballot. May or may not be counted, depends on who contests your vote.

Step 7 - Where and how do I get a birth certificate?
For same day service: Visit a local issuance office in any county in the state for records 1900-present. Pre-1900 records

are available only in the county of birth.
Apply by mail, fax or email to the MN Office of the State Registrar for records 1900-present. The application must be

signed and dated in front of a notary public. Payment is accepted by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, or Discover), check

or money order and is deposited upon receipt. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
o By email. You can scan and email your application to health.issuance@state.mn.us. A raised notary seal must

be shaded by pencil.
o By fax. You can fax your application to 651-201-5750. Do not fax it more than once; each application will be

processed as a separate request. A raised notary seal must be shaded by pencil.
o By mail. You can mail your application to:
Minnesota Department of Health
Central Cashiering – Vital Records
PO Box 64499
St Paul, MN 55164-0499
The Office of the State Registrar no longer has walk-in service.
If you need a certificate for someone born in another state, see the National Center for Health Statistics website for

contact information.
If you still have questions about how to apply for a Minnesota birth certificate, email us at health.issuance@state.mn.us

or call 651-201-5980. Go to Step 8.

Step 8 - How do I get a MN picture ID?
Who Needs ID
Minnesota residents do not need to drive motor vehicles in order to have valid, photo identification cards. ID cards are

available to all of the state's residents who meet the requirements.

An ID card is widely accepted as proof of identity for flying and other situations when a Minnesota resident might not

necessarily be a driver, but needs to show ID.
Proof of Identity
To obtain a Minnesota ID card, you must present one of the following forms of identity at a Minnesota Driver and Vehicle

Services (DVS) office:

Minnesota driver's license, instruction permit, or state identification card with photo that is current or expired less than

five years.One primary form of identification, including your full legal name and the month, day and year of your

birth.One secondary form of identification from the list of acceptable documents.Proof of Legal Name Change
If your full, legal name, including first, middle and last, is different from the name on your driver's license, instruction

permit, state ID card, or primary document, you must present proof of legal name change in order to get an ID card.

Acceptable proof includes a marriage certificate, certified copies of divorce papers, or other court documents that

specify the name change. The identity and name change documents must clearly demonstrate the link between your

names.

Fees
Identification card fees are $17.25 for people younger than 65, $11 for those ages 65 and older, and $.50 for those with a

qualifying physical or developmental disability or qualified mental illness. If your card is damaged, lost or stolen and you

need a duplicate (replacement), the fee is $12.75.

Renewing Your ID Card
Minnesota ID cards are issued for a period of four years, renewable on the cardholder's date of birth. Minnesota ID cards

must be renewed in person at your local Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) office. Be sure to call in advance

to verify that your local office is equipped to handle processing of ID card renewals; not all offices are set up to process these.

Renewal fees are $17.25 for those under age of 65; $11 for those 65 years of age and older.

Replacing Your ID Card
To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged ID card, head to your local DVS office. The process is fairly seamless if your

photograph remains on file. If not, be prepared to present proof of identity and residency with documentation approved

by the state.

The fee for a duplicate ID is $12.75. Go to Step 9.

Step 9 - Vote!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1857

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2012 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for posting all that info, I was going to do some research myself after reading the letter in the paper, but now you saved me the time. Interesting!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 1005

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minnesota Senate approves historic gay marriage bill

Senators voted 37-30 Monday to remove a state law that bans same-sex marriage. The vote followed a Thursday 75-59 House vote, leaving Gov. Mark Dayton’s signature the only task remaining before gays can marry starting Aug. 1.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/267041/
******************************************************************************** *

Most Christian authorities and bodies regard Christian views on marriage to hold that marriage was instituted and ordained by God for the lifelong relationship between one man as husband and one woman as wife. They consider it the most intimate of human relationships, a gift from God and a sacred institution.[1] Protestants consider it to be sacred, holy, and even central to the community of faith.[2] To Catholics[3] and Orthodox Christians[4] it is a Sacrament. Biblically, it is to be "held in honor among all...."[Heb. 13:4

Lev_18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 665

Posted on Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally, equality for all!

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not everyone in Minnesota is a Christian.
Christians do not own marriage.
People have been getting married before there was such a thing as Christianity.
There is no such thing as an official religion.
Ours is a secular government - at every level.
Christians have no business deciding who may or may not marry, except within their own congregation.
Christians are not even united amongst themselves on doctrine.
Some Christians support marriage between people of the same sex.
Even religious or church marriages are not actually official until licensed and certified by the state.
Marriages recognized by the state are actual marriages, even if they are not recognized by a church.

tom koehler

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 923

Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It never fails to amaze me that there are people that think everyone should live by the bible. Not everyone believes that the bible is the word of God. I think it is fine that you have and are proud of your faith. But that is between you and your maker. Don't expect everyone to live by your beliefs. After all, Muslims feel that they are guided by God. Does that mean we should use the koran as guidance in our laws?
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 1006

Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nolan is steadfast against Syria strike
U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan says you can call him a “peacenik” if you like, but his stance against a U.S. military strike on Syria is based on what he’s seen in classified documents and briefings in the past week.

By: Mike Creger, Duluth News Tribune

Published September 04, 2013

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/276861/

I couldn't agree with him more...

homeontherange
Pro Poster

Post Number: 671

Posted on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, for once, we agree on something. I also am not in favor of any military action. If we really want to hurt Assad, then we should conduct a cyber attack, that would debilitate his military in some fashion. Attack his web based infrastructure, and communications systems. This could very easily bring his government to its knees.

jackburton
Pro Poster
Username: jackburton

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Goldman said prices will probably drop another 16% by the end of next year and expects Chinese demand to grow at the slowest pace in almost two decades"

I post this under state issues, because the state must be a major player for the new copper nickle mines to be opened up here in NE Minnesota. I have read the Duluth and Minneapolis papers over the last few years, full of stories of the large under ground copper nickle mine north of TH and Duluth. Hundreds if not thousands of jobs, increased local tax revenue, a boom time for TH and Duluth. Well, all this is written by people who don't understand economic or the world. These mines were planned and investors lined up at the time of the great boom of the early 2000's to 2008. And they stayed involved based on the USA's mass money printing of the last 6 years.

But in fact, copper prices are crashing. They are probably below production costs in the big underground mine planned for NE Minnesota.
All I am saying is, this mine is not coming, don't plan on it. Don't expect to work there, or cash in through a secondary business. It's all fake. The world economy is in critical condition, and the real crash has not even happened yet. Copper, Nickle, Iron Ore are still going to decease in price, until we lose more and more of our mining jobs. This is all due to global economic crisis that have yet to play out.
Two Harbors should not pin it's hopes on a mining boom north of us, it will NOT happen. Bad news? Maybe, but it is simple fact.
My biggest fear is that Taconite is a high cost iron ore product, compared to the Iron Ore coming from Brazil and Australia. In a crisis, the high cost producers always get hit hardest. So expect trouble ahead.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have raised a point well worth consideration...the world market price for metals.
I was in the track department of the DM&IR for 32 years and was able to retire with a railroad pension from that job. During that time I and my co-workers weathered swings in the iron/steel markets. I was laid off for 2 years in the early 80s because of slumps in the market prices and plants were shut down. When they re-opened, the employment levels were nothing like they were before the shutdowns, yet the annual shipping tonnage was equal to or better than before. While manhour productivity was notably improved, mainenance levels suffered greatly.
Copper/nickel mining...the sulfide ores...as proposed here will be frightfully expensive, if done correctly, to protect our water-rich environment. If done incorrectly, the cost will be unimaginably higher actually, because of the ill effects on the water.
For an example of the delayed effects of copper mining done with no care for the environment - the extreme case - check out Butte Montana. The methods used at the time were horrific and poisonous particulate air pollutants settled everywhere in the area. As these particulates were buried over the years, they seemed benign, until heavy rains would cause erosion of these poisons into the local watersheds and killed tons of fish and other aquatic life, even several decades after the cessation of production efforts.
As you suggest, our best action is to not count on economic payoff from local copper-nickel mining. For several reasons.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"There has been so much over-investment in energy, mining, materials processing, manufacturing and warehousing that nothing new will be built for years to come. The boom of the last two decades essentially stole output from many years into the future."

This quote comes from one of the few capitalists left who knows what he is talking about. I want to warn people, the great copper nickle mining boom is an illusion. Investment capital is going to be very wary of pouring hundreds of millions into a marginal underground production mine. Marginal means "High cost producer in the market".
I think we will be lucky to retain our Iron Mining, let alone see new copper nickle mines.
The world commodities markets do not justify the investment here. Markets decide, not wishful thinking.

jackburton
Pro Poster

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But given the massive oversupply and plunging prices and margins in these commodities, and the overhang of still more capacity in the pipeline coming to completion, it is fair to say that investment in the global mining industry is sinking into a depression that will last the better part of a decade.

Beware the Iron Ore and Copper Mine industry up here. Hard times are going to grow worse as a world wide recession and deflation rips through the employment sectors

tom_koehler
Pro Poster

Post Number: 638
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2016 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You gotta sell this one to the Iron Rangers and Nolan. They are all in on this copper mining and hang the global mining depression...they say. I'm with you, on this, but I'm a retired guy and no one would listen to me. Further, all our forseeable copper needs in this country can be met by recycling and the discontinuance of the penny. (Granted it is just copper-coated, but nonetheless takes a lot of copper, overall)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration