Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * New and Improved Clover Valley Bulletin Board < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 178

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Cavaliers!
Well, we're conceding the battle to the spambots. They are absolutely merciless. So - the new bulletin board now occupies a section of the Two Harbors Forum bulletin board. It is far more secure and has many more options available than the free version we were using with the Clover Valley site. The link on top of our Clover Valley topic list will take you back to the original Clover Valley home page. I'm sure there will be more stuff to work out, but we'll get there eventually. Thanks for your patience.
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 642

Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow!! Webby You Da man! Thank you very much! I sure hope this helps to keep the Spambot stuff down. That sure was getting to be a pain in the butt. One or two is okay but the never ending onslaught was getting old.

I sure hope this makes it easier for all you old CV folks out there. Not that many of you have had much to say. Must have to do with that stoic Norseman mentality.

Anyway I hope everyone is almost ready for Christmas because it is almost here.

Blondie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to baby-sit for the Lindquist's up until I got too busy dating my now husband...been married 44 years! I was their steady babysitter, it was between me and Priscilla Mattson at that time. Never will I forget this, one night I was babysitting at Lindquist's above the Bloomingdale school where they lived at that time, and this red and white car with loud pipes kept driving around the building, scared me half to death. Guess who that was...my now husband, and I did not know him at the time. So, it was quite a shock to find out when I started dating him, that he was the "hot rod" driver around the school all the time, when I was babysitting. He was one of those TH guys! We considered them rather tough! I also babysat for Lindquist's when they moved into their new home up on the hill. I lived down at the bottom of the hill right on the corner. Also I used to baby-sit for Kenny and Helen Hendrickson, and I used to baby-sit the older Banks girls all the time. Dorothy Korkki Banks and my mother went to school together.

In high school there were three of us girls that hung together, some called us the "three musketeers". Shirley Driscoll, Mary Lou Eiken and myself. Jane Norman was also a good friend, and still is. They had the big farm on the Ryan and Lismore Road. I used to go ride horses with Jane, but believe you me, horses and I were not the best of friends! She rode bare back, and one time the horse I was on decided to head for the barn, I was bare back also, and I hung onto its mane for dear life, and had to duck going in the door. I don't think I rode after that..Loved their hay loft. Her mom made the best chocolate frosted cookies, just thinking of them, my mouth is watering.

Before my dad built on the corner of the Ryan and Shilhon Road, we lived near Mattson's in the old Lundquist house, up off the Shilhon road, there was an old sawmill there. I used to walk to Bloomingdale school to catch the bus to CV with Wally, Priscilla and Barbara and possibly Bobby Mattson. Also the Holappa kids, Alan, Bill, Katy and Jeanne. I am still in contact with Jeanne, she lives in Washington. The Holappa's moved away, and I lost contact with them, until Jeanne and I got connected many years later. That was a long walk to Bloomingdale, especially in the cold winters we had back then and the Janitor at that time at Bloomingdale, was Mr. Pavilisch. It sure was nice when we moved to the corner, I could just watch out the window for the bus coming up the Ryan road, and go out when it got to Erickson's driveway. Some of my bus drivers back in the early days, as my grandchildren think it is, was Herb Gerth and Nillo Gustafson and Ken Hendrickson. Sometimes I missed my regular bus, and could always catch the last one going by. Sometimes I think I missed both buses on purpose!!

I read in one of the posts about the skating rink at Bloomingdale, I used to go skating there with Barbara Mattson every chance we could. Loved to show off our skating skills if there were any boys there!! Summers were spent swimming at the Falls on Sucker River down by Mattson's, and also under the bridge by David Erickson's property. I was saddened when I read of David Erickson's death.

I went my first four years to Bloomingdale, and then went to CV till graduation. I don't recall our teachers, at Bloomingdale but I sure do remember Mrs. Sunde, the cook. She certainly was a good cook. Many years later I happened to run into her, and I was surprised she even remembered me. I remember the Trick Bars so well at Bloomingdale school. We always had a Christmas tree in the class room at Christmas. Seems to me, there was a folding wall between the one classroom, and on special occasion's they would open it up.

Nolte's store was close by my home, so I used to walk or ride my bike over there all the time. I remember the fire they had in the one part of the store, they had a pet monkey in a cage there, and it burnt to death in that fire, and I felt so bad. My dad used to take me to Nolte's all the time for a NutGoodie Bar and a coke. Now those bars are so small, back then, you got your money's worth. Mrs. Nolte used to let me come upstairs in their living quarters and visit her, when she wasn't working the store.

The teachers when I graduated in 62, where Harold Anderson, Mr. Granger, Mr. Antonovich, Mr. Lindquist, Mrs. Bergman, Mary Murphy, Mr. Eilola, Mr. Trevillion, Ms. Gazette and Mr. Scott. The cooks were Mrs. Martinson and Mrs. Lund. The bus drivers were R. Tuominen, Herb Gerth, Dick Peterson, Ted Larson and Nillo Gustafson. Janitors were Ken Hendrickson and Dick Peterson who had dual roles as drivers also. I cheated and got out my annual!

My graduating class there were 25 of us, and four have passed away, Robert "bobby" Beck; Dodd Keller; and Hilding "bernie" Jackson and Diane Udenberg (Willow). I was Majorette for awhile somewhere in my high school years, and remember Sandy Ness, and someone named Marjorie, and Joan Tatum and who else I can't recall. We marched at football games, and basketball games. If anyone comes across a picture of us back then, post it in the forum, I would love to see it. Must be one in an annual, but I didn't buy hardly any annuals when I went to school, so don't have a picture at all. My nickname back then was "Blondie".

In one of the pictures of the school on the forum, it is stated that the bottom was the cafeteria, not the whole bottom was. The left side of the picture, it was Ms. Gazette's Home Ec room. I didn't get along with Gazette at all! I remember my 6th grade classroom being above the cafeteria to the far right, and think there was another classroom, just before the stairs. More classrooms above the Home Ec room. I recall Ms. Simpson or something like that being my teacher for 6th grade. John Chaffee used to travel often, and I can remember so well, he came back to school with some different foods for us to taste. One I remember was Artichoke, and somehow we cooked it in our classroom,and back then I loved it, but you know what, have never tasted it since. Why that sticks in my mind. I worked in the kitchen often at the high school. I remember in the corner of the cafeteria, there was a milk machine, loved the milk out of it, it was so cold.

Blondie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This I found in my 1962 annual.
"Thirty three years ago a log cabin and apple orchard dotted the landscape where Clover Valley now stands. In 1929 four small area schools were consolidated in a new structure on the present site. This building consisted of five classrooms, a science lab, library and gymnasium. With an increase in enrollment the demand for more classrooms was urgent, and in 1955 a library, home economics laboratory, cafeteria, gymnasium and four classrooms were added. 1961 marked another milestone in the growth of the school when the elementary grades transferred to the new North Shore Elementary school and the present structure was to be used for secondary education exclusivley"

torggy

Post Number: 656

Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the story from your 1962 annual is great. It is a very nice short history of the old school. I did not know that elementary grades went to school there. I thought it was always a 7th thru 12th grade school. Learn something new everyday.

Are there anymore interesting things in the 1962 annual?

I do remember the Home-ec room down by the cafeteria. I believe there was a machinery space there also. Like a boiler room or something maybe?

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloomingdale School was too small to house all the elementary children in the community, and the addition to Clover Valley (the newer part of the school) was completed in 1955. The first class of first graders (there was no kindergarten then) from the north woods started at Clover Valley in the fall of 1955, while Bloomingdale continued to be the k-4 elementary school for the kids from the southern part of the community. North Shore Elementary opened in 1961, and all of the students who began first grade in 1956 or later spent at least one year at North Shore Elementary.

There is a very small number of CV graduates with the distinction of having spent all 12 of their school years under the CV roof, all members of the class of 1967, including Marlene Schumann, Judy Nyberg, Robeta Highland, Joan Nynas, Ron Carlson, myself, and a few others I've forgotten at the moment. It's possible, of course, that a few started in 1955 and didn't graduate until 1968, or 1969.

Yes, in the lower level of the addition was the cafeteria, the home ec room, and the mechanical systems (boiler, etc.). There was no lower level under the library. The office, main entrance, gym and shower rooms were new also.

CV was one of the first of the St. Louis County Schools to get a remodeling and addition, and we felt lucky in the early years when we played basketball at Cotton or Orr and saw their little gyms and old facilities. By the mid-1960's, the other schools had done us one better with larger new gyms and bigger buildings.

The 6th grade teacher was Ms. Sampson.

I had Mrs. Wilmunen for 5th grade. She lived in a trailer house over by the two wooden teacherages south of the school. She often played the William Tell Overture on her record player, and once took us on a field trip to see Philip Lahti play a big black grand piano at Denfeld Auditorium. She was very proud of Philip, and said she inspired him to develop his talent on the piano. Philip wore a tuxedo, I think he was in college then, and there was a young woman in a white dress playing another grand piano. They played some classical stuff, but not the Lone Ranger theme song.

Blondie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I started Bloomingdale in 1st grade, as lived in West Duluth prior to moving out in the country. I moved up to CV in 55, when the new part was built.

I remember Joan Nynas. She had a sister Nancy, and I do remember a brother also, can't recall his name. Cheated looked it up, Edward. They lived across the road from Nillo Gustafson.

Yes, Ms. Sampson was the name of the teacher, actually after I had written to Torggy and let him post for me, I remembered, but I was sure someone or hoping someone would correct me on that.

Mrs. Wilmunen does not ring a bell at all. But Philip Lahti sure does, he didn't live far from me. I know he played piano, fantastic player, but also a good Basketball player, him and his brother "Dumpy" were quite the team.

I got out my yearbook and Perry you were in 7th-1 grade when I graduated. You had/have a sister named Pearl. I remember her. Did you go to any of the reunion's? Do you remember Kathy Lee? She was in your class. Her brother Robert was in my grade, but didn't graduate with us. She worked were I worked, but we basically worked different shifts. Guess she is retiring this year.

In some past postings I read the name Daryl Olson mentioned, and think Alaska was mentioned. Right? I am now wondering if this is the same Daryl Olson my husbands knows, naturally he was alot younger than my husband, but my husband knew him from where my husband worked. He married Linda Olson from TH. But, I don't know if this is the same person.

Torggy, just looking through my yearbook, and noted that year we had "KRAZEY DAZE", there is a picture of Mr. Lindquist and Mr. Granger,"were among the guilty summoned before the Kangaroo court to pay their fines or take the consequences". Sorry, I can't recall what that was for, but sure many students would have loved them to pay the consequences at that time! But nothing else exciting in there, but pictures.
Thanks Torggy! Now if we could only get more to post on here and share their memories. I have tried as I have told you.

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,

My sister Pearl is a teacher, and living in Cape Coral Florida. I have a younger sister Carol who is retired, living in the Denver area.

The Nynas kids were Nancy, Edward (class of 64), Joan (67), and Marlin (69).

I attended a few of the all-school reunions. It was good to catch up on some of the people. I donít know if there is another reunion in the works.

Kathy Lee was in my class, and I recall she went to school to be a nurse. I havenít seen her in years.

I fished with Daryl Olson some when we were in high school. He went to Alaska to teach. I havenít seen him in many years either. I heard from someone that he has retired from teaching, and is a fishing guide in the summers.

torggy

Post Number: 657

Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Now I feel informed. I guess I really did not realize how many differant grades had been in the old school. I learned something today.

I ran into Joan Nynas at a French River Luthern Church community get together this summer. We all had hot dogs and hot dishes out in the parking lot under the trees on a hot evening. It was a good time. I was somewhat dissapointed there was no green jello with carrots in it. A usual must at any scandahoovian affair.

I was at the 1960-70 class reunion and at the last all school reunion. Loved them both and hope someone starts another. I think there were members from every graduating class but 2 if I remember right. A pretty awesome feat.

blondie
Rookie Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry, Kathy works as a Nurse Assistant, and has for many years. We worked in the same place.

Yes, that is the same Daryl Olson. He had a step daughter and her cousin get killed in a car accident in Alaska several years ago. She left behind a child, which I believe Daryl and Linda raised.

I went to the 60's class reunion and had so much fun, and also to the all school one held at Lakeview Castle.

Torggy, I forgot about the green jello with carrots in it. Grandma A used to make it and cut in it squares, and put salad dressing on it. Sometimes she used peas.

I got out my 1955 yearbook the year my aunt graduated. They had 10 graduating.

In looking at the lower classes, I found the 4th grade was alone. My 5th was combined with part of the 6th, and our teacher was Mrs. Kohn. The rest of the 6th was with the 7th and the teacher was Ms. Sampson, and the rest of the 7th was with the 8th grade. I don't know how long they kept this practice up though, as don't remember when I was in 6th grade being with another grade.

I found this also in there.
Our first Homecoming game and dance of Clover Valley was held on Friday night, February 25th, 1955. This, also, was the opening of our new gymnasium-auditoruim.

There was a Memoriam in there to Mrs. Ann Colby Albright, who passed away in Feb of that year. She was the Girls Glee Club director for 3 years.
Apparently she wrote this.
CLOVER VALLEY, CLOVER VALLEY, ALMA MATER DEAR
WE WILL RALLY, WE WILL RALLY, LISTEN TO US CHEER
OUR HEARTS AND OUR MINDS ARE CLOSE TO YOU
WE'LL DO ALL THE THINGS THAT YOU TAUGHT US TO DO
CLOVER VALLEY, CLOVER VALLEY, ALMA MATER DEAR

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So a little action on the pages since the Holidays are over. I ran into Norma and Bill today. I told Norma she needs to check out the postings. I have to laugh about the 1962 year book. I was helpng tear down some cabins along the shore. I had found a 1962 year book. I was not a student until the seventies. I will have to pull out the old book and maybe scan some photos to be posted. Bill and Mr. G photo should be a must.

torggy

Post Number: 663

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some pictures of those two. I think I post them before but since Max asked so nice I can do it again.
granger
lindquist

blondie
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish Mrs. Lindquist would post on here! Glad you told her Madd Maxx.
Perry, did you live on the Homestead Road?

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,
Yes, we lived on the Holmestead Road, about a mile south of the school. We were the last ones on Niilo's Gustafson's bus in the morning, and the first ones off in the afternoon.
Perry

torggy

Post Number: 668

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! that sure made for a short ride compared to some of us that lived waaay down in French River.

If I remember right I am in deep envy of where Perry lives now. North east Wisconsin is really nice.

Blondie did you read Nora's old posts?

Where were those cabins you tore down located at? Across from Wonderland?

blondie
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I Like your new Avatar, the winter frolic button.
Did that picture arrive okay?
I did read Norma's old posts, think I read all of them.
Perry I do remember where you lived. You had it made, last ones on, and first off the bus. It was a 5 mile ride for me one way, but think of those that lived way out, oh what a ride they had, like the Ives. So you live in North east Wisconsin. We tour Wisconsin often, probably have been in your area.
I like I am a Rookie Poster!! better yet, love all the clipart, really neat

torggy

Post Number: 670

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dang, I said North east? I ment North west. I hate getting old, sometimes

I sure did get it. Blondie. But it looks like you are catching on to this stuff quick enough that you well be able to do it yourself soon.

Ms. Soltau

Your Idea of putting all the pictures on one page is a great one. But this way ya gotta read the story that goes with them.

torggy

Post Number: 677

Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this Obit in the Duluth paper. I am posting it because it is the current owner of Lakeview Castle. I spent a great evening there this summer with some old friends. Wonder what this means for the future of the place.

Mary Lynn Yount, 55, of Duluth, died peacefully and is now with her husband and her Lord, on Friday, Jan. 12, 2007, with family at her side. Mary was born in Frankville, Iowa on Sept. 13, 1951, to Alden and Esther (Nesset) Grinna. She has lived in Duluth since 1988. Mary spent the last 10 years of her life dominating numerous medical conditions, continuing to be an example of elegance. Mary and John were married in Duluth on June 11, 1989. Mary taught kindergarten in Stillwater, Minn., was a financial planner in Minneapolis and Duluth, and at the time of her death was the owner of Lakeview Castle Restaurant and Lounge. She was a former member of Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd. Mary loved to travel and spend time at her lake home. She also generously gave anything she could to anyone she would meet. Most importantly, her life revolved around her family, children and grandchildren. Mary is preceded in death by her husband, John, in 2000. Mary is survived by her parents, Alden and Esther; children, Lisa (Dennis) Thielke of Duluth, Andrea (Wade) Brua of Savage, Minn., Brittany (Charles) Metzig of Roseville, Minn., Blake Leisinger of Maple Grove, Minn, and Aaron Yount of Duluth; sister, Susan (Steve) Youngs of Penacook, N.H.; and brother, Steve (Kim) Grinna of Guthrie Center, Iowa; grandchildren, Alyvia, Abigail, and Andrew Thielke, Ethan and Greta Brua, and August Metzig. VISITATION:10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. Memorial service Monday in Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd. Memorials may be made to the Miller Dwan Foundation Hospice House, 502 E 2nd St. Duluth, MN 55805. Please feel free to sign the guestbook at: Legacy.com.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune from 1/13/2007 - 1/14/2007

blondie
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw that, but never paid any attention to it. I was always under the impression, that the new owners were from the Twin Cities, like moved up and bought the Castle. They were, but had not just moved up. Also surprised to see her husband died in 2000.
Haven't been in the Castle for several years, actually since these people took over, as word of mouth we heard the food was not that good anymore. We used to stop and eat there often before though. I can't recall when they took over even.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens with the castle now.
Sure hated Nokomis,(shorecrest)food, and interior. My aunt and I went there for lunch, first and last time!! They stop serving lunch at 2, and actually close, at least they did when we went there. Some people came in just before that time and were turned away. I read one of Norma's posts on that, and I totally agree with her on that place. I would and do not recommend it to people.
thanks for posting that picture, I was chicken to try it myself, but may try one day!

vern
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 06:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a new resturant coming at he bottom of Homestead Rd. It's going to be called Lighthouse on Homestead. The Pierson girls are opening it, it is going to have to have some of the old Shorecrest food. Shrimp for one I can't wait should be open around the 1st of May or sooner.

blondie
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard rumors of this for quite some time, would be nice to have another place to eat at.
Who are the Pierson girls?

Bonnie Cameron
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this is the first I've heard of a CV forum and thought I'd see what it's all about. It's very nice. The only name so far that I recognize is Perry. Hi Perry. Do you still see Mary Murphy? Did you work with her for awhile?

I'll have to let Peggy Callen know about this website. She's in Oklahoma.

Gloria Johnson told me she gets on this forum from time to time. She's in Alaska doing very well.

I'm curious about whatever happend to Brad Higbee. He and his family lived not far from French River near Alperts in the cabins that were mentioned above that are now torn down. He and his family left the area about 1961 I believe.

I was raised on the North Shore now called Stoney Point Drive. My parents are still there. My sister Linda and I started Clover Valley - I began in the 7th grade and she in the 9th grade. I graduated with Perry in 1967. Linda graduated in 1965. We came from Two Harbors (Segogg). I had attended John A. Johnson Elementary and Linda was at Two Harbors High School before our move.

Who are Torggy and Blondie?

Bonnie Cameron
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SOBE - I'm going to give you away!!! SOBE is Paul Shelhon. If you see this, Paul, I'd love to hear from you. You can reach me at bstritzel@sonomabuilder.net

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bonnie,
I know who you are and your sister Linda. Actually my husband was wondering about your dad, if he still lives on Stoney Point Drive, Don Cameron. You said he does. Actually your dad knows my husband well, and you know him also.(you might be too young to really recall him, ask your dad) Your dad had Phillips gas station for years. My husband was a good friend of Dick Olson, who I believe is your cousin. I know he died a few years back. Dick had planned to marry, but Gloria died in a house fire. Actually we had planned a double wedding.

I remember the name Higbee. There was a Ken(?) Higbee that was a year ahead of me in school. Good lucking kid. Got out a 60's yearbook, and yep, he was darn good looking!!!

bonnie_cameron
Rookie Poster
Username: bonnie_cameron

Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Blondie - But what is your name and your husband's name?

My Dad is 82 now and is still actively working for The Pines in Duluth. He is doing very well. He does have a disease but so far is able to continue with his productive life with minimal difficulty. My sisters and I were all back (taking turns) helping Dad to recover from a hip replacement last January. Each of us were there for about three weeks - Mikie came in January, Linda in February and me about mid February.

I didn't know Ken. He graduated before I arrived in '61. I was just curious about Brad and hope that everything turned out all right for he and his family.

Let me know who you are so I can ask Dad about your husband.

Thank you for replying.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bonnie, my husbands first name is Don and my first name is Carole. Don is from TH, but I was from the French River/CV area, inland that is, not by the lake. What is The Pines in Duluth? Good for your dad. Didn't realize he was that old, thought he was in his late 70's.

Do you remember you and Linda skating at the skating rink in Segog? Don used to take care of that.

Got out my 62 yearbook and found you and Linda in there.
I see Brad Higbee was in your class, you were in grade 7-2. He was president of your 7-2 class.

Maryilyn Grubb who was in that class also, is married to my husbands classmate, and she runs an elderly business here in town, home for the elderly that is.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy, I noticed I am no longer a Rookie Poster, I got promoted

bonnie_cameron
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - so I used to know a Carole in Knife River who was closer to Linda's age, but you said you are from French River. What is your last name and what is your husband's last name? I do remember ice skating in Segogg. I have fond memories of that old building that kept us warm and housed candy and refreshments but, I'm sorry, I do not recall your husband's last name.

I saw Mary and Marilyn in February of last year along with Darlene Mattson, Joannie Nynas, Bill Holappa and Bruce Solem. We met at Emily's in Knife River and had a wonderful time. So good to see them. I also visited with Barb and Bob Jackson for a short while. Was great!

I didn't get a chance to see Bill Lindquist. I hope to do that this summer when I go back for the reunion.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope to Carole of Knife River, Nope to Barbara Mattson. But, Barb and I grew up together, she was in my wedding.
My maiden name was Rooney, which I am sure has no meaning to you, class of 62. So, I was quite a few years ahead of you.
I just know your dad will remember Don...donnie!

torggy

Post Number: 680

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad ya found the place Bonnie. Please tell any other old CV'ers you can think of about it too. I do no know your Dad but it sounds like he is doing really well with a very supportive family.

My name is Mike Torgerson. I lived in French River and my parents still do. I graduated in 1969. I went to John A. in TH for K-6th and did 7th-12th at CV.

There was a skating rink in Segog? I only remember the one at the other end of TH.

I saw building going on this summer at Palmers. Sounds like it could be a good addition to the area. Little history of the area:
palmers

Congradulations on the promotion there Blondie, keep up the good work

bonnie_cameron
Rookie Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember your name, Mike, and will look you up in the '69 annual. Yes, the skating rink was great fun in Segogg. In fact, we rarely skated in TH because we had one locally.

Blondie, I thought I had a '62 CV annual but Linda has it so I wasn't able to look you up. It's funny how five years then seemed like such an age span but 5 years now seems like no age difference at all. I don't remember you, I'm sorry, but I will ask Dad about Donnie.

I will pass this website along.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie I sent you a personal message.
Was wondering, did you or Linda go to the 60's reunion at the castle? I did, but Don didn't care to go. It was fun, but I had to work the next morning, so didn't stay long at all.
We both went to the all school reunion held a few years later also at the castle. We were riding with my uncle, and he wanted to leave as soon as the dancing started, so once again, I never got a chance to catch up with too many people.
I wish more from the early 60's to late 50's classes would start posting on this site. Can't even interest ones I graduated with!!!

bonnie_cameron
Rookie Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got your e-mail and will reply shortly. I haven't been to a class reunion, yet, but Linda and Dennis have. Infact, I don't think they've missed one.

I plan on being at the one this year in July.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Torggy, there was/is a skating rink in Segog. There was the one down by the highway, but that turned into a Super Market, now some other business is in there. There is another skating rink at Odegard Park, which is up on 13th Ave and 8th street, I think. In that general area anyway.

This is crazy, all the times we go to Duluth I have not seen any construction of any kind at Palmers. Tomorrow, I need to make a trip to Wisconsin, so am going to turn down, and check the progress of that new restaurant.

Bonnie you mentioned a reunion in July this year, that must be for your class right?
I can't believe I have been out of school going on 45 years!!!! and you and Torggy are catching up to me

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes - as far as I know the reunion is for 1967. I haven't heard anymore about it but I'm sure we will soon. Forty years for us......whew. I don't feel that old - well, sometimes I do.

I didn't see any construction in February of last year, but I did see a chiropractors office on the right going toward the freeway on Homestead.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm wondering - does anyone know where Dale Schumann is? He graduated in 1964 or 1965 and I've been trying to locate him but no luck with it so far.

(Message edited by Bonnie_Cameron on January 17, 2007)

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOps made an error and can't edit it due to time frame.
In a post I said that Mariyln Grubb was married to a classmate of my husband, it was Mary.

Torggy, just curious why is there a time frame of editing a post? I am on other forums, and a person can edit their own posts anytime.

torggy

Post Number: 683

Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie the way the board is set up you have 2 hours to delete and 48 hours to change a post.

I graduated with Mike Grub I believe that he was Mary's brother. Last I seen of him he owned the Hitchin Post tavern. Wonder if he still does?

So the class of 67 is having a reunion? Thats great. Know where it is going to be yet? Wonder if Lakeview Castle well be as popular for the CV reunions as it has been in the past.

Kinda miss Andy Sternberg not owning the place. Almost everyone that visited home stopped into see him so he could tell you lots of information and gossip.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked out Palmers today on my way over to Wisconsin. I don't know, it isn't up yet,(new restaurant) several men standing around. Looks like the slab is down, but sure doesn't look big.
Also, if you can't see it from the highway, which you can't, how much business is it going to attract! That Chiropractic building, now that would be a nice cute restaurant.
But, I guess we will have to wait and see once the building goes up.

torrgy where is the Hitchin Post Tavern? I am sure Mike Grub is the twins brother, there were several kids in that family. I know Shirley.

torggy

Post Number: 684

Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only time I have ever been to the Hitching Post was on our 20 year reunion. Sternberg got his hands on a motorhome and we drove around the countryside. We went to the old school and up to visit Mr. Lindquist then to the Hitching Post. Since the motor home was well stocked with refreshments I had really no idea where we were. I just know we had a great time.

A quick internet search shows the Hitching Post is on the Jean Duluth road. Always wondered where we were.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I am trying to post, hopefully it will work.
What I had wanted to say was, to thank whoever it was that posted the website for "Northern Images Photo Gallery", it is awesome. I can't even remember what thread I found it in.
I have sent this to friends around the world, and the response is "beautiful". I have several friends that live "down under" and in South Africa, where it is HOT. They love seeing the beautiful winter scenes on there. One gal wrote this morning, that she put a winter scene of the 7 Bridges in Duluth on her screen, so she can look at it and feel cool. It is so easy to set one of the beautiful pictures on that site as background on your computer, and if a person wants, can change all the time.
If you haven't checked it out, please do.
http://northernimages.com/lakesuperior/index.php

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man those are some beautiful pics, we like to put pics of the big lake in our house down here in the cities, thank you very much for the link !

torggy

Post Number: 692

Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That site is on the main CV page as Northern Images. You might like some of the other links too.

Warren Mindestrom turned me onto this site:
http://www.wdio.com/index.cfm?page=misc/template1&queID=4&sid=23&load=towercam

It is sponsored by WDIO and gives a great view of Duluth from the top of the hill. They also have a Harborcam and a Rangecam. Look for them on the left side of the page.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked out the WDIO site. The Tower Cam picture was today, but the Harbor Cam picture was the 13th of Jan, so that was a little out of date.
Thanks Warren and Torggy

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy - Is Warren still living in Freemont?

torggy

Post Number: 693

Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He spends most of the year someplace in California. I was told where I am sure, but I forgot just where he said. He visits NW Washington state a couple times a year to see John Nylen on his way to spend the summer in Knife River living in his travel trailer.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry,
Do you remember that little church just above you, on the crest of the hill going to CV?

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,

Sure, I remember that church. When I was a kid it shared a Presbyterian minister with a church in Two Harbors. Eventually the congregation withered away, and the church was sold to a private party who turned it into a residence.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry,
The minister was Rev. Otto Fillinger. I was married in that church. If I remember right, my wedding was the only one ever. Don't think they had any after. The organist was Mrs. Keller(Pearson)
I felt so sad to see that made into a home.

What brought it to mind, I sent Bonnie a wedding picture of us.
Actually after we married, we lived in an apartment right across the street from Rev. Fillingers home for a few months.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Perry,

It's been a long time. Do you still see Mary Murphy from time to time? I can't remember if you work together or not. Have you heard about the class reunion in July?

Is anyone familiar with the church at the end of Homestead Road (the Palmer area)as you crossover Hwy 61? It's been vacant for as long as I can remember. Is it of Russian descent?

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie
Palmers Chapel:
"In 1950 a church was built in Palmers at the base of the Homestead Road and Scenic Highway 61 by Hilmer Sunde and Carl and John Sandberg. Monthly services were conducted by Rev. Stanway of the American Missionary Fellowship, formerly known as the American Sunday School Union. Twelve active ladies formed the Palmer Ladies Aid, Sunday School was led by Violet Sunde, Bayne Brown and Joan Abrahamson. Summer Bible School, conducted by young women preparing for the mission field, was an annual event children looked forward to.

The building no longer serves as a church. It was sold in the 1990's; the current owner uses it as a workshop, and storage building."

I called my uncle tonight, and he said as far as he knows this person still uses it as storage.

(Message edited by Blondie on January 26, 2007)

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going to try put in a picture from "Roots in the Past"
Clover Valley Presbyterian Church

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This will be my last post today....PROMISE.
check out this site, about the Grubb Twins
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/articles/index.cfm?id=14995&section=Community
It should be on the internet for a little while, not sure how long though

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie,

Don't see Mary Murphy. I think I may have changed jobs once or twice since we talked last.

A 40th reunion this summer sounds like a good idea. Haven't seen any announcement.

Perry

Cindy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've being reading this site for quite some time. It was great to see the old church. We used to have to start the furnace before church and the Christmas program. It was a fun place to play at. We were able to go in anytime because we had the keys!! The large window was made in rememberance of my grandfather and uncle who were killed by a train at Palmers.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy,
Nice to read that you have some memories of the old church. Sorry to hear about your grandfather and uncle who were killed by Palmers. How many years ago was that? I wonder what happened to that window? I have gone by the old church several times over the years after it was made into a home, and I can't recall if they left it in or not.
We had a beautiful wedding in that church, so I have special memories of it.

Cindy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The window was donated to a church in west
Duluth someplace. They were killed in the thirties I think. My family had been in Clover Valley until 1977. I remember Perry. I used to play with Jeannie, we always called her that. Perry fished with my brothers.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So glad to hear the window was not destroyed.
Hmmm, give me some more hints about who you are.
You must have graduated from CV then, year?

Cindy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I graduated in '73. My oldest brother in '64. My family has been around since the early 1900's

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy I am stumped.
Got out my yearbook, looked at the classes of "64", and who lived up in that area at that time. I need a last initial, or what other years did your other brothers graduate?
Pearl Palin signed my yearbook.

torggy

Post Number: 694

Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Cindy. Glad you decided to move from just viewing to actually posting a little.

Way to go with the posting of the picture Blondie. I knew you would get the hang of it. I have that same book. It has alot of neat things in it.

I found this picture a couple days ago on Ebay.
fish fry

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neat picture Torggy. How well I remember the old Fish Fry, loved the sign, it had so much 'Character'

Actually it was easy posting a picture, first try.

Cindy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a brother in '64 and '66. A sister in '67 and '71. My Dad also graduated from Clover Valley.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, did your last name start with "N"?

Wish this forum had a Personal Message site on it, to send personal messages to people.

Cindy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be right. My cousin is the Principal at Two Harbors High School. I still go by the old homestead when I come up to MN. Does anyone remember Striblings (guessing at the spelling). It was located at Palmers across from the Chiro. many years ago. Where the Chiro. is located there used to be a small house. I believe Torgesons lived there befor they bought the house on the Homestead Rd from the Carlsons. Carlsons used to have a store there in the building next to the road.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know Bob. Him and his brother used to live with their mom just one block over from where we used to live...

Oh yes, my husband and I were talking about Striblings at Palmers not long ago. Actually we also talked about the bar right across from the Bomarck Missile base. We were remembering places that once were, and now are only memories.

How well I remember Sam's store, right on the corner of the Hegberg and Homestead Road. Believe it was mainly a feed store.

thought I would just put in this picture of Clover Valley store, this was in the 1955 yearbook. Sam's and CV store are only memories also.

CV Store

Cindy what state do you live in?

cindy
Rookie Poster
Username: cindy

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I moved to Florida in'95. I remember the bar at the base. I also remember the air shows there too. The picture of the store reminds when my brakes failed and I hit the left wall under the window. This was after Pearsons sold the store to the Cartwrights. Do you remember Shorewood Terrace restaurant? I worked there every summer after 6th grade. We had some good times there. I go home almost every summer, I still have one sister up there.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure do remember Shorewood Terrace. We drove home along the drive not long ago, and my husband mentioned to me about the nice restuarant that used to be there. Actually I applied for a waitress job there in high school, then I changed my mind, decided that was not for me. I went to work instead at "Lake Breeze Motel".
I am sure you were not the only one to hit the CV store, actually it is rather close to the road.
I have an aunt who lives in Boynton Beach, FL can't recall where my cousin lives down there.

(Message edited by Blondie on January 29, 2007)

cindy
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Bob Beck hit before me. I think all my family worked at Shorewood at one time or another. My brothers even worked doing the yard work at one time.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy, I found a couple ads in the 1955 yearbook. Don't know if I can put both on one post or not.
This one was right along side of the picture of the CV school picture
ad
ad from Sam's was on the next page
sams ad

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still can't figure out who Cindy is. Cindy, who is your sister that graduated in 1967 from CV? Just her first name will be enough for me to probably remember.

I used to work at the Fish Fry - among other places on the shore. Johnson's Drive Inn, Shorewood Terrace (I think that is the name of the restaurant - anyway it's next to the Fish Fry)when Stringfellow's owned it, Shorecrest. Good memories.

(Message edited by bonnie_cameron on January 29, 2007)

cindy
Rookie Poster

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shorewood was down towards Tom's Logging Camp. It burned down after Ada sold it. J would be the initial of my sister's name. I know of both you and Linda. We had someone in each of the Johnson's classes. We used to go to Johnson's after work for cones, usually on Sundays. Bonnie you lived at Stoney Point.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I remember the Shorewood now. What was the name of the one near Fish Fry that Stringfellow's owned - well, the last name wouldn't have been Stringfellow but Karen Stringfellow's mom and stepfather owned it.

(Message edited by bonnie_cameron on January 29, 2007)

cindy
Rookie Poster

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lakeview Castle was the closet that I remenber. Forest Inn was around there too. There used to be something around what is Bates store a long time ago.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, I know who Cindy is, if you don't figure it out, e-mail me.
Hmmm, can't figure out the name of the place you were talking about next to Fish Fry that you worked at. Was it going towards Duluth, or towards TH?
Shorewood Terrace is on the way to Stoney Point.(or I should say, you pass it on Highway 61) What was the name of that wayside area before Stoney Point?....nice spot to stop!!!! In my dating days that is.

Old drive in's, can't beat them. Johnson's was great, but TH had an A&W.
Over in Superior there is an A&W yet, that you can pull up and order food. We go there often, but go inside to eat, just not into trying to eat in the vehicle anymore....

cindy
Regular Poster

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The place I am thinking of is Wonderland. It used to like a dinner theater or something way back in the 40's or so. I remember my Dad saying that Robert Mitchum was there once. I was at the A&W'S in Superior a couple of years ago with my sisters in July and it was freezing out. Nothing like a cool lake breeze.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderland wasn't near Fish Fry though, it was just past French River. That is interesting that Robert Mitchum was once there. Wonderland was the place to go on weekends for dancing.

Forest Inn was just past Lake View Castle, and has since been torn down, or I should say finally. Baumgartners owned that. That was a bar basically.
Never heard of Bates store either, this is new to me.
Also never heard of the name Karen Stringfellow.
So, I have no idea where Bonnie is talking about.

COOLER BY THE LAKE YOU KNOW...hate that old saying, but how true it is. Except last summer, people came up here to cool off, only to find it one of the hottest summers on record. I can honestly say, last summer I was wishing for AC.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie - if you drive down to the McQuade Road on Hwy 61 and you take a left onto McQuade to your left (again) is the Fish Fry. Next to the Fish Fry on its left is another building that used to be a restaurant. I wish I could remember the name. I think it was turned into a souvenir (sp) shop.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops - made a boo boo.....sorry. Karen Strand's mother and her stepfather owned. I kept saying Stringfellow because we used to call her Stringer. She graduated in 1966 from CV.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a great "look out" when you make a right turn across from Tom's Logging Camp. It was really beautiful at one time but now the rocks are falling off it and it's actually probably not safe there anymore. Some people park there still to have their lunch and to watch the lake.

There used to be a dirt road that was a right hand turn just before the Stony Point Road turn-off but it's all crowded with trees now. It led to the "look out" as well - just past the Little Sucker River.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes, I remember that now. Wasn't it a Swedish place?
There is a gift shop there now, maybe that is Swedish. For some reason Swedish pops into my head. It is right on the curve as you come from Duluth, then it is Fish Fry, or was....Marina there now. On the other side of the road, was Hatfield's store, a small motel, and I think a house in there, and the motel/lakeview castle.
http://homesweethome.visitduluth.com/ Bonnie check this out, is the place you were talking about?

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33

Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That dirt road is still there, and you actually can connect to the road that goes to Stoney Point. It is a beautiful look out.
On Northern Image photo gallery, there is a shack/winter scene at Stoney Point. I think it is so pretty.
Strand, now that name is familiar with me.

torggy

Post Number: 696

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHOA there guys! This is great! But ya lost me way back. There was a bar by the missile base? What was it's name?

I'll post this to go along with the wonderful picture of the Clover Valley Store.
clover valley store ad

Do any of you have a picture of the school from the front showing both the new and old parts? I would really like to find one. Thanks!

cindy
Regular Poster

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie your guess would be correct. Both of my sisters are coming down in April for a visit. We usually get together every year. First time in Fl. I don't remember the name of the bar by the base. It closed in the early 60's I believe. Wasn't it by the Dahlberg's? I dont remember the older Dahlberg daughters name, but Pricilla was in my grade. The older one was in the class of '67 I think

Vern
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was the Missle Inn it was right across the road from the base.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I posted before, and it didn't go in, wonder why.
The missile base closed in 1975, so imagine the bar didn't survive after that.

I just discovered, that a person can post a personal message to regular users by clicking on their user name. Here I was looking for a personal message at the of the page like other forums. Learn something new every day, or maybe I should say, "never too old to learn".

I wonder how old that ad is Torggy, as noticed they had movies to rent. Cute ad though, history as they say.

torggy

Post Number: 697

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Missle Inn! Thanks Vern! Hey old taverns need to be remembered too.

The add was from a July 1988 issue of "The Landmarks" which was a publication put out for a couple years. I had never heard of it until John Nylen told me about it and actually had a few which I scanned. There are some pretty good stories in it. Most are kinda long to post.

Glad you figured out the personal message thing. I forgot to tell ya about that, sorry.

The Bates store was at Wonderland.

It was the Gilmore Summer Theater that was next to Wonderland. It did not last long and then the building burned down.
gilmore

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cindy,
Pricillas older sister's name is Kathy. They also had a brother but I do not recall his name. I don't remember a bar by Dahlberg's at all so it must have been taken down quite some time ago.

Blondie,I meant to tell you about the personal messaging but I forgot. I'm sorry. I learned about it from another website.

Torggy, you mentioned John Nylen's name. Do you know how Gary is doing? He was in my class.

torggy

Post Number: 698

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He lives in Alaska. I know he was transported down to Seattle a number of years ago to correct some of the heart ailments that plague his family but was doing fine last I heard. His ex-wife lives in the old Nylen home on the shore.

Serene Egg Carlson Chapman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone just found out about this site yesterday. It isd just too cool. Hey Torggie I remember you we were in the same class. I now live in Myrtle Beach, SC.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember that building by Wonderland, forgot about it actually.

I tried looking in a couple of my yearbooks to see if they had a full picture of the school. Found just part in 1961 and a full sketch in 1962
But, due to having to try to get them to fit into here, they aren't very big.
school 61

school

drawing

torggy

Post Number: 699

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Serene, or should I say Renee? Great to hear from you. Glad ya found the site. Our families used to spend time together. I believe that your brother Danny still lives on the old family homestead. He has been delivering eggs to my parents over the years. Another classmate of ours, Owl, checks in on the site once in awhile also. Hope to hear more from you.

Thanks for the picture Blondie. It is the closest so far.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure don't like the forecast...cold...guess we haven't had these temps in Jan, since 2005!!! This weekend is supposed to be like
-20 and inland in Embarras area, -40!!!!!
Channel 10 always features a UMD player, and lately it has been a Hockey player. Well the player they featured tonight, was from Eagle River, Alaska, and his name was Mike Curry.
I know there are quite a few CV grads that live up in Alaska.

Owl69
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Serene! Torggy told me there had been some activity on the site. My, my. Blondie - you must have been spoiled by the decade or so of ultra mild winters. I don't think we used to consider it winter until it hit 30 below way back when. ...and stayed below zero for a week. :-) Easy for me to talk, I migrated to tropical southern MN. I was a few years behind you, but very familar with the area on the Shilhon and Ryan you described earlier. I grew up on the farm between Bloomingdale and Nolte's store. Bob Mattson was a year ahead of me and I remember his sister Barb.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a brother in Eaagle River. It sure is a small world. It is cold down here if Fl. too. High only in the fifties. That is why I moved, not really, but sounds good.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Owl69, you got that right, spoiled by mild winters. Gosh as a kid winters were extremely harsh, and lots of snow. We were tough back then, I remember going out to play all bundled up... no matter what the temps...kids now days stay inside.
You can get your share of cold weather in southern MN also. Yes, I remember where you lived. Used to walk by your farm often on my way to Nolte's store. Boy, my grandparents home on the corner sure has gone to pots. They kept it so nice. My grandma had all those beautiful flower gardens! But, atleast my home looks great, the Driscoll's have kept it up.

It didn't get as cold as they said, it was 4 above this morning.

Cindy, 50 in Florida is cold, but up here I would be out in my shorts.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie I have enjoyed your post along with Bonnie's. Cindy is good that you have posted also. I do have a question for you. Are you still standing in a hole? Please share some stories from your class. Remember Swen breaking both of his collar bones? That was a terrible sound when he broke those in Albrook.

bud
Rookie Poster
Username: bud

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wasn't the Ranch House on the curve just before coming to the Fish Fry from town. It was run by Gravells (sp?) Served great Swedish rollup pancakes. Had some cabins for rent behind it.

cindy
Regular Poster

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe there was a David Gravelle in the class of '71. Madd Maxx, I am still standing in a hole, some things can't change. I remember I had the bad timing of having the measles during football homecoming week. The funny part is I gave to my older sister on her first date with her future husband!. I asked my Mom what all the spots were, and she said I don't know, but you are still going to school.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Maxx. For me, being retired, I have nothing better to do than go on the computer...the housework will always be there for me!! It is fun to chat about CV's past, share our memories as they are. Wish more would have intput on it though.

Bud, as I said in a previous post, I thought that restaruant on the curve also had Swedish ties to it, food was my thought. Name, Ranch House, that is possible. Again you might be right about the cabins behind it. Know many places along the shore had cabins.

torggy

Post Number: 700

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was Don Gravelle in the class of '71. I know there was a resturant of some kind there and there were cabins behind it but I well be danged if I can remember the name. I guess now that I look back Don did have access to those cabins. Made it a great place to party!

There was a fruit stand to the town side of the Fish Fry for a few years also. Then just past the old Clifton Fire Hall there was a cabin court and there was some kind of resturant there also. Sure used to be a busy area.

I used to deliver papers from Hatfields to Spruce Court road. The Forest Inn was one of my customers. That was when Hatackes(sp?) owned it. I dated the daughter Signe for awhile. It was a great little bar. All knotty pine and a great view of the lake. There were cabins on both sides of the Talmadge River and a great bridge connecting them. I remember ther being a Sportmans club that used to meet there and show movies of hunting trips. Was a fun time there during Smelting season also what with a bar so close to the river.

It is great to hear from Owl. Because of this site I found out his daughter lived in my area and on one of his visits I was able to spend some time with him. Was fun to talk about the old school and the people.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, you're right. Gravelle's owned the Ranch House. Karen Strand's mother married a Gravelle so Don Gravelle is her half brother. Ok - Warren solved that one about the name of the restaurant. I remember Forest Inn and Lynnae Hatacke (sp). She graduated with my sister Linda.

Serene
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey 69ers remember going to Two Harbors and beating the loop to find a scout to buy beer for us. Then going to the gravel pit parties. Oh yeah and our square homecoming buttons. Boy did we ever think we were cool. I plant dark pink and bright orange gerbea daisies in my flower beds each year, people always ask how did I come up with that color scheme.

torggy

Post Number: 703

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure I remember the square homecoming buttons. I even have one.
button

Hey, to be the class of "69" ya had to be differant. The colors of our annual are the proof that we were. We even called them something to fit the times. Psychedelic orange and beet pink.
yearbook

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Went shopping to Wisconsin today, and drove the old highway down. Emily's in Knife River is empty and we heard the guy went bankrupt. He didn't have it long. Also drove through Stoney Point, but couldn't remember where the Cameron's lived. Was surprised to see those white cabins still standing...and the parking area!!! It is still there!!!!! But, we didn't park!!!
We noted two old cabins still standing near where Wonderland used to be.
Heinz Beachway Motel, is just past the Castle, and then the Marina, which looks rather small to us. Then there is Gardenwood Motel and Cabin Court, which is just before the restaurant that Bonnie worked at.

Oh yes, that church is still standing by Palmers, nestled amongst the trees, it is red now, and did look like someone has been using it.

As we were going by Bluebird Landing, I was thinking about that neat restaurant that used to be there, wouldn't that be a drawing card now to have something like that. Tourists would love it.

We don't often drive the old highway, but when we do, it is just driving. Well, now that I have gotten into this forum, and things come up, I pay more attention.

I remember Lynnae Hatecke, she was such a pretty girl, with long hair, that she usually wore in a pony tail.

Like the square CV button, and I have seen the colorful yearbook somewhere before.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beating the loop in Two Harbors and looking for scouts? What did you have your scouts buy? Boones Farm? Bali Hi? Funny how the scouting continued until the late seventies. Heck the class of 74 had a trip to Boozeberry Falls....er Gooseberry... Maybe someone from that class could share that story. I always like the missing C and V on the school LOVER ALLEY.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 185

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time to end this thread. We try to end them at around 100 posts.
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

Diane Brouse
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is such a great site. I will pass it on to my fellow grads in the class of '68. Clover Valley will always hold a sentimental spot in my heart.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration