Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * More Cavalier stuff < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 704

Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always take the old road when I am home.
wonderland

bud
Rookie Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, You mentioned smelting season. I think that was the fifth season for the shore wasn't it? summer, fall, winter,spring, smelting season. I hear it hardly exists anymore, but what fun it was! Between Lester river, Talmage, French, Sucker, Little sucker,Stoney point and the Knife, you could always find a party. I think you had a Honda or Yamaha 90 about those times?

blondie
Regular Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Torggy for starting a new thread and great view of Wonderland also.
Yesterday I happened across this postcard in a collection my grandma had. Bud was talking about smelting so thought I would put it in here.
smelting

I am guessing this is Lester River. Those were the days. It was fun, people would have bonfires and naturally booze. Sometimes we didn't smelt, we would just go to different rivers and watch, and find someone we knew and sit by their fire,or strangers fires. Had to walk about a mile sometimes. Vehicles would line both sides of the highway.
I remember one year, we went smelting with my parents, and heaven knows why we got so many smelt, but here we were that night out in the garage to wee hours of the morning, cleaning buckets upon buckets of smelt. After that, I could not and have not ate smelt since!!!
We have been hearing, that the smelt are starting to make a comeback. Hear say you know!

torggy

Post Number: 705

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wasn't smelting season a great party!? It was great to live so close to the French, so ya could walk down anytime and see what was going on. Yes, I did have a Honda 50. Used to make a little money carrying guys pails of smelt on the back of it up to the road.
french river bridge

Sometimes you would see some guys sitting around a campfire with cases of beer waiting for the smelt to run. We would come running up from the river yelling "the smelt are running, the smelt are running". When the guys would pick up their nets and head to the river, we would pick up their beer and head the other way. It was suprising how well the trick worked.

The Talmadge was fun to party at also because of the bar being right there and the cabins to party in.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster
Username: bonnie_cameron

Post Number: 18

Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This picture is warmth to my eyes, Torggy. Where is the Swiss Chalet and Alperts from this view? Must be to the right. I assume that is the mouth we are looking at. So nice.

I remember the smelting. Knife River was our haunt, but we also frequented the Talmadge and the French. So much fun. We knew how to entertain ourselves in those days.

(Message edited by bonnie_cameron on February 02, 2007)

bud
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, What a great pic of the French. I remember when it looked just like that. They used to dredge the mouth and keep the sand bar from forming. The hatchery boats would leave out the mouth and they would sein for fish and return with them. Then they would dry the nets out on what looked like a paddle wheel. As kids we would straddle those wheels, hold on, and see if we could get them to go all the way around with someone on the ground pushing.
Do you remember going inside the hatchery with its glass bottles of lampreys, fish and even a fawn in fermeldehide?(sp?)

bud
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, Just east of the French a couple of blocks before you got to Wonderland was a place by the lake that had its own little harbor. Can't remember the guys name. It was to me a perfect spot, just beatiful. Is it still there? The last I saw it it was rundown, but heard that someone bought it.

torggy

Post Number: 706

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tour through the hatchery was great! They had all kinds of stuff in jars. Plus remember the deformed fish they kept live in tanks?

You mean Jhelmers(sp)? I can't remember his last name. Ya it was a real unique place. He got sick about 5-7 years ago and after some time in town he passed away. The place got rundown and then it burned down. Ya know how abandon buildings in that area all seem to catch fire. He had his own dock on one of the few sheltered spots on the shore. Thought it would have made a much better place for a "safe harbor" than where they put it.

Bud ya probably could have looked out of your window and seen this:
train on French River bridge

Here is a picture of the French River bridge from the other way.
french river bridge

torggy

Post Number: 707

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, yes Alperts is to the right as the picture is taken.
alperts
Somebody mentioned Blue Bird landing:
bluebird

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For your FYI, it is -20 with a windchill of -35. Certainly isn't global warming around here.

Now I know who Bud is.
Does that picture of the train bring back memories. My uncle would drop my grandma and myself off there on the Ryan Road, just above your house Bud, to catch the train to Duluth. We would spend the day shopping, and then catch the train back, and my uncle would be waiting to pick us up. I am sure that is probably the same train in the postcard, that grandma and I rode many times.

Grandma and I also would take a train, like this over to Hayward, Wisconsin or Minneapolis.

This I will never forget, it was winter, and we had a car, which looked like the front end of the one in the postcard. We were stopped at the tracks there in French River, windows all frosted up, couldn't see out of the side ones. Heaters weren't very good in those days. My dad started across the tracks slowly, and I was busy in the back seat scrapping the window to see. I got a hole cleared and peeked out, and here is a train coming towards us. I screamed and my dad stepped on the gas. Now that it is cold, vivid memories of this flow back.
freezing

One time some of us girls stayed in Alperts motel, Mikki had a sleep over. Loved their house, it was so beautiful.

Bud, how is Betty? I USED to belong to Classmates.com and a few months ago, I just went on there for the heck of it, and here was a message from Betty to me. I could not access it, because I no longer belong.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI, the high here today was -10!!!! The wind is bitter cold. Watching our son's dog, and no fun taking him outside that is for sure.

It is dangerous when I think. Every year Two Harbors has its Heritage Days Parade. Well, CV, even back in my days, was part of TH...look at the address!!! Then, it really became part of TH. I think it is time that Clover Valley School is represented in the Heritage Days Parade. Usually TH class reunions have a float.

I have missed a few parades over the years, so if CV was represented at any time, please correct me.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!! GO CAVALIERS!!!

bud
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, Again great pictures! Where do you find them? Remember, just before the train came by, usually at least one ore train in the morning and one at night we used to climb up under the bridge and get as close to the top as possible, then hang on while the train went over the bridge, right on top of us. Wow, was it ever loud and the bridge would vibrate like crazy. (Don't tell my kids) When the last run of the steam locomotives came through they stopped at all the RR crossings and gave rides up and down the tracks for a few blocks. Don't remember how old I was, but I remember the engineer saying to us "remember this ride".
Blondie, There was a 1 car silver train that ran towards Two Harbors (someone said it went to Ely at one time??)and back every day. My Grandmother from Lakeside would also come out to visit on it and return home at night. If you stood by the tracks and waved when you saw it coming, once the conductor saw you, he would blow the horn twice indicating that he would stop and pick you up. Then just as it stopped he would swing down from the train and place a stool on the ground for you to step up and into the train. Always thought that was pretty cool. Do you remember what the fare was?
There once was a very bad accident (worse than most that occured there)at the crossing. The train hit a car during the winter almost excactly as you described. It carried the car down across the RR bridge separating the frame from the body just as it made it across the bridge. The person was ejected right about there and was found after some time searching, and lived through that ordeal.
Betty (Bebe) is fine. I know she would like to talk to you. She is in Raleigh NC and just called announcing another grandbaby. I will tell her to go to this web site.

torggy

Post Number: 715

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was scary to be under the bridge while a train went by. Was a right of passage for kids in French River. When my Dad worked in TH he used to ride the train to work and back everyday. I remember very well the time a car got hit and carried down the tracks. I remember seeing the motor laying in the ditch and the frame on the other side of the bridge. I always paid attention at that crossing after that.

I get the pictures from many sources. Some from books and alot from Ebay. Just go to Ebay and type in Duluth. You well be amazed what you find. The train on the French River bridge was from a book called The Missabe Road, about the DM&IR. This picture is also from that book. Believe it or not Bud, it is called a Budd car.
bud car

Blondie, I love the idea! It would be great to have a CV float in the TH parade. Wonder how many ex Cavaliers we would find in the crowd.

Bud, how much do you know of the history of your old house? About back when it was a store.

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, That looks like the silver bullet.
As to the house, have seen a couple early pictures of it. Really don't know much of the actual history, or names of people who may have lived there. The stories go that it was first built and used by the railroad as a road house. Then added on for the store. My folks bought it from Carl and Ethel Anderson in 1952. They eventually sold the cabins back to Carl and they were moved down to the corner. I only vaguely remember the store. Not sure how long my folks ran it. The store part was rented out for awhile as an apartment. The walls came out after some time and we had some school parties there after the Fish Fry hayrides.
Across from my folks house was an old concrete bridge that went over the river. Lots of folks walked or biked over it to go swimming. Do you remember it? It was said that it was the original highway 61 before the existing bridge by the lake was built. Do you have any history or pictures of it?

torggy

Post Number: 716

Posted on Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure do remember that bridge. Behind the welding shop. I had forgotten about it till this summer when my sisters and I walked up there and they reminded me of it. I always wondered why it was there. The river was narrow there so it was as good a place for a bridge as any. First I had heard of it explained in that way though. They blew it up some years ago. It sure was fun to ride bikes down it to the dam.

My parents remember going to your old house when it was a store.
matt jackson store
matt jackson story

The hay rides at the Fish Fry were a blast. I think I still carry some of the scares.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good morning from frosty Duluth. It is -24 this morning. We made national news for the weather. As for the tracks at Ryan road. I always figure Walter Johnson's bus would never make it up that hill after stopping for the tracks. Those cold bus rides to school. Johnson's old stubby school bus was the small that served our schools out there.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good Morning, it is -22 here in TH.
Couldn't post yesterday, wonder if it will go through this morning, going to give it a shot.
That BUD car was not the one I took to Duluth, it was the train with the steam engine and a couple cars. This was back in the very late 40's and maybe into the early 50's. That is my memory, not unless I am confusing the train with the one that we took to Hayward or Minnepolis.

When we rented from Oberg's, I used to ride Herb Groth's bus, now that was a very small bus. I remember how cold it was in that bus. Actually none of the buses were very warm back in those days. What was worse yet, we had no indoor plumbing in any of the homes that we rented in!! How did we manage back then, is beyond me. When I had to take the dog out this morning, he was mighty quick, no fooling around! Then, I thought of the outhouse or the pail we had in our porch to use, but even in the porch, it was still darn cold!!

Say Bud, do you remember my uncle and aunt, Bob & Delores? Well, she isn't doing well. Due to some condition she has, she is in terrible pain and nothing they do seems to help the problem, only make it worse.

I never knew there used to be a bridge behind the welding shop, that is interesting.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It worked! Torggy, I forgot. That button you posted, The Warming Shack, that is where my husband worked for many years, he took care of that rink and like I said in a previous post, he was at the Segog rink also.
I will have to show him this when he gets up.

billy_bob
Pro Poster
Username: billy_bob

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, Blondie, Bud, Mad Maxx and others --

I really enjoy your reliving your youth on this thread, and love the pictures -- a very wonderful flow of love for the North Shore, and a great change from the cyber bullying going on on other threads on this Forum.

billy_bob
Pro Poster
Username: billy_bob

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1929 North Shore, MN - 1.bmp,image/bmpMy Mother, August, 1929 along side the family car somewhere on the North Shore. Can anyone tell me the make of the car?
Aug (310.8 k)

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Clifton Depot
Todd Lindahl
The Duluth & Iron Range Railway. Company, like
most other railroads, established depots at locations
where there was a reasonable amount of passenger
traffic. Where there was a lot of traffic an agent was
assigned, and where there was less, a flag stop depot
was erected. In the case of the latter, the passenger
train would not stop unless the person wishing to ride
signaled the train to stop. This was done with a flag
during the daylight hours and a kerosene lantern after
dark. When the engineer saw the signal he answered
with a whistle signal to let the person know they were
stopping to pick them up. One of these small flag stop
stations was built at Clifton in February of 1916. It was a
very small structure only 16 feet by 10 feet and made to
look somewhat like a Japanese pagoda. A single bench
seat was attached to both the side and back walls
wrapping around the interior. A single door faced the
track and two windows, one on each end, providing a
view in both directions up and down the track. It is
impossible to say how many people sat in the small
depot over the years and awaited the arrival of the
passenger train. During the course of those years they
would have watched as the mighty steam locomotive
stepped aside in 1953 to be replaced by a shiny new
diesel Budd car. A few years later in 1958 the DM&IR
began to eliminate some of its depots. The following
year more depots were closed and disposed of. Then
passenger service ceased entirely on the DM&IR on July
20, 1961. The Clifton depot was sold to a private party
and then prepared for removal off of railroad property.
The moving of the depot happened in the late hours of
the night during the winter. It had just snowed and the
new owner pulled the small depot down the road on two
skids. The final destination was fairly close to the Duluth
Township Hall. There, it remained for quite some time
with the Clifton signs still prominent on both ends of the
building. Many of these old depot structures were moved
to various locations in private ownership. Most of them
were moved on trailers or flatbed trucks, but the Clifton
depot was the only one to ski to its new home in Duluth
Township.

I found this on the net, Duluth Township Newsletter, March 2005. My memory did serve me right, I did ride the old Steam Engine train to and from Duluth.

billy-bob, glad your enjoying this thread. I personally don't go for any bullying, it is more fun to look back, refresh our aging minds, at least this aging mind!!!

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

billy-bob, I went on the net, and found a car that looked similar to the one you had in the picture. This one was a 1925 Maxwell Coupe. They had the spare tire on the front drivers side. The shape was the same, and the way the headlights are set. At first we thought it was a Ford, but I couldn't find one that looked like the picture. Check it out yourself, just put in 1925 Maxwell Coupe in Google.

torggy

Post Number: 717

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Maxwell,eh? I'da said it was an Oldsmobile.

Blondie, am glad ya got the problem figured out again. Sorry that keeps happening to you. Thanks for your patience. Never meant to imply that the Budd car was the only one ever used. In fact the old steam engines ran for many more years than the Budd car did. The Budd car was meant as a cheaper alternative as ridership decreased.

I can remember riding the bus on sport trips up to Orr or Embarress on those cold winter nights. If you fell asleep with your head against the window your hair would freeze to the window. We also had no indoor plumbing until the late 50's. I still remember the trips to the outhouse on mornings with weather like you guys are having right now. We lived in Waldo and the outhouse was by the barn. Dad would carry me down wrapped in a blanket and when my backside hit that frozen seat!

That is an awesome article you posted. I really enjoyed that. When they say the Duluth Township hall where do they mean?

Just for information the Duluth Township has a neat web site that has lots of familiar names and can be fun to read at http://www.duluthtownship.org/index.htm
Also for some that have found this site through the TH web site there is a CV page with some links and pictures at www.clovervalleyforum.com.

And just for the record, I really used to hate to have to have to ride on Walter Johnson's bus.

Here is an old picture:
Niilo

Glad ya like the warming house button. It is kinda blurry.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, you may be right about an Oldsmobile, still couldn't find a picture though. All I know it is a Coupe. Wish my dad was alive, he knew his cars. On Webshots they have oodles of pictures of Vintage cars.
I never took it that you meant the Bud Car was the only one used. Actually "bud" had mentioned in a post about the Silver Bullet running from Duluth to Two Harbors, and I knew that was not what I had rode on. So, I thought what better way to prove to myself and look it up.

I thought I would save the picture of the Warming House Button and show my husband on the screen, as one can make it larger. I had printed it off, and it was fine....guess what came up on the saved version, that Winter Frolic Button!!!

Speaking of Warming Shack, I just came across this picture that my husband took. It is the warming Shack, half of it that is.

warming shack

That bus I used to ride on when I was like 6-7 was similar to Nilo's bus, more modern style though, pale yellow color. It seemed lower though, not alot of head room, as taller kids always had to stoop down. The only reason I rode this bus, was I seemed to miss my regular bus. Remember having to stand to Bloomingdale school, which was only about 2 miles. Sometimes one of the older kids would let me sit on their lap.

It is after 1, and the temp is still -10!!!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 718

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Luv the picture of the warming shack!! I gotta post it on the TH side. I used to spend lots of time there. Dad would drop me off on his way to work on the afternoon shift and tell me I had to be on #2 to hitchhike home by 5:30 or somthing like that. Imagine doing that today? Anyway, it was always the same neighbor that picked me up. Always wondered if Dad knew that was how it would go. That place was awesome the floors were all torn up by years of sharp skates and smelled of wet clothes. But it was nice and warm.

Hey the Oldsmobile thing was only a stab in the dark. After looking on google at your suggestion the Maxwell looks like a better answer.

Matt Thompson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, my name is Matt Thompson, my mom is Bonnie Thompson, she graduated from CV in 1973, i don't know if any of you knew her, but anyways since 1998 me and her have been visiting the old school, and going inside, we went in once before the fire, and i have gone in several times since then and taken some pictures, i don't know if any of you believe in paranormal stuff, but i have found a few orbs in pictures of the gym, and in the crawlspace under the school. does anyone know what year the old section was built?

matt thompson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the reason i am asking, is im submitting the pictures to a paranormal society, and i want to tell them some history of the building so they have more to go on when they analyze the pictures

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Matt,
According to "Roots in the Past' the first graduating class was in 1933, but also in there, it says in 1928 about a school being moved from Palmers to Clover Valley to be used as a teacherage. In the book there is a nice picture of Clover Valley school, the old one in 1935.

The Bonnie Thompson I knew graduated in 1964 and had a brother Ted and he in 63, so not sure who your mom is then.

matt thompson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you.

iam still fishface
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought you all might enjoy this picture from about 1924. You'll see some of your relatives I bet. Class of '66 here and loving the site.
text/htmlschool 90
school90.html (0.3 k)

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 49

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I got was the red X box for that picture.

I got e-mail from Japan today, they saw on CNN how cold it was in Duluth.

Nice to see some others posting on here, makes it interesting.

torggy

Post Number: 720

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fishface, you'er back. Thats great! Got anymore stories?

I was unable to open the picture you attached. I really want to see it. Send it to me at torggy@clovervalleyforum.com and I well make sure it gets to where we can see it.

blondie
Regular Poster

Post Number: 50

Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Torggy, guess we are OLD...
Showed that picture on the TH forum to my husband, and he goes, that was 40 years ago, we are OLD.

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Yes I do remember Bob and Delores. They are both wonderful. They lived in the house on the corner of the Ryan and Greenwood road. Don't remember the year they moved to the top of the Ryan. We used to run down for cookies and look at all of Delore's paintings. We always had one over the fireplace that she painted which was a winter scene of the Gunflint trail. One of Birch trees in the winter, and one of an angel floating over a bridge that was in my sisters room. Funny how vivid these are in my minds eye. GETTING WAY TO SENTIMENTAL FOR OUR AGE TORGGY!! My Mom took some lessons from Delores and thats how she started painting. When my Dad died 2 years ago, Delores came to Westwood where my folks were living and we all got a chance to visit with her. It was great to see her.
Do you know what is causing Delores pain? I hope she finds some relief and gets well. We'll keep her in our prayers. I will tell my sisters and my Mom. Told my sister Bebe about the forum and she is trying to get hooked up.
Torggy, I'm with you, we had to be way to quiet on Walters bus. Sometimes we would run all the up past Roy and Hazel Abrahamsons to where the Ryan met with the Old North Shore road just to ride Nilos bus. Oh boy, now that Hazels name came up, how was she related to Bob and Delores? Was Roy and Bob brothers, cousins? Hazel used to feed us kids coffee all the time and my Dad would get mad because he claimed it would stunt our growth. All he had to do was look at Hazels family, all the girls and Royal I think all ended up over 6' or close to it. Ok, Fred Abrahamsom was Roys brother and another brother (Einer(sp?))worked for the county and used to hit our mailbox all the time in the winter with the wing on the grader. So many times that he cemented our mailbox into an old steel milk can so it was "movable".
Blondie, the float sounds like a great idea. Torggy, lets get the vote out on who the champion should be. My vote is Blondie!}

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 699

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to agree with Billy_Bob about how interesting all of your posts are. Makes one wish he had gone to school in CV instead of TH....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yippee Skippy it was only -16 this morning, getting warmer. Maybe I can go sit out on the patio. This is a standing joke here, as all summer long, one can find me out sitting on the patio in the afternoon. So, my sister in law called the other day, and goes, "I thought you would be out on the patio". The little neighbor kids two houses over discovered me last summer, well, guess what they were over visiting all the time. It doesn't help, I have a water feature, a old pump water fountain.

Well, my team didn't win yesterday.(not really, just like them better, don't know why either, so don't ask) The females were for the Bears, and the men for the Colt's. Sure was raining down there. I went to bed in the fourth quarter. I knew the outcome anyway.

torggy

Post Number: 722

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bassman.

I got this picture from Fishface. It is amazing how much there used to be at Palmers:
school 90
I had to shrink it down to fit the page. If you want a full size picture let me know at torggy@clovervalleyforum.com
The names are hard to read. Forgive me for any spelling mistakes.

Top row first on left is Verner Johnson, Verner Hendrickson, Miss Sevetson, Hjalmer Mattson, Miss Dabe', Calvin Hendrickson, Willie Johanason, George Sundstrom, Theodore Mattson.

Second row is Ethal no last name, Ethal no last name, Marian Palms, Ruth Gustafson, Cecelia Dahlberg, Elsa Nordin, Helen Nording, Snea Sundstrom, Irene Dahlberg, Royal Stromgren, Martin Sundstrom.

Bottom row: Cathy Nordling, George Nordling, Roger Palmer, Waldie Johnson, Carl Sundstrom, Harold Dahlberg, Edna Dahlberg, Elizabeth Sundstrom, Evelyn Nordin, Anna Peterson, me(?), Hazel England.

Lots of familar names there.

Thanks again Fishface!

(Message edited by Torggy on February 05, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That picture is great, and sure do recognize lots of names there.
here is a picture also out of the book.. "Roots in the Past"
palmers school

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some more tidbits to read.
This is taken out of the Landmarks May 1974
There has been discussion on Wonderland.
"The first Wonderland store was built by O.E. Thompson in 1938-39. It also served as his real estate office. When a lodge was built later, the first building was demoted to a storage shed. Eventually the property was divided, and the two portions came under seperate management. In 1973, the lodge became Walkers Inn and in January 1974 it burned.

Vern Thompson built the present Wonderland Store and cabins at 10094 North Shore Drive in 1949. In 1968, he sold the business to Jack Bates, who still has it".

I believe Cindy had mentioned Bates Store, which I had never heard of, well she was right.

This also taken out of the same Landmark. I know Torggy put in a picture of it on this thread>
"Matti Jackson was the first postmaster of French River, so his store may have been the first in the township too. He had a log building near the railroad bridge on the road that followed the river beside the present hatchery. In addition to the store, Matti Jackson also did some logging with the unpublicized help of the railraod crew at the section house.
When the Ryan Road was built in the present location between the tracks and the lake(and about as fas the Mace Road area in the other direction), Jackson moved his post office into a new frame building, and this became the station store until 1938. Myron Perry kept if three years, then in 1941 Carl Anderson moved from the Shilhon Road(Nolte's Store) to keep the store. Jacob Schmidt continued the business for a few years after buying it in 1953.

Carl Anderson built the French River Motel about then on the corner of Ryan Road and Highway 61(North Shore Drive) and he had a little store there too for awhile. It burned in 1972".

Bud, you were talking of the Abrahamson's.. Richard Abrahamson(I had an uncle by the same name, Arthur's son) came to this country from Finland in 1898 and he married Hilda Johnson in 1900. They had Fred, daughter Signe, Roy and FredII and Einar and Nina. Nina used to live just up the road from you across from Roy, do you remember her at all? She had a cute little house there, I remember going to visit her. Fred, the first one died on their return to America, they had gone back to Finland, so that is why there was another Fred II.
Nina played Piano, and Sig Mattson was a drummer, and brother Fred used to play at dances.

They had the big farm up on top of Abrahamson's hill, and Einar lived on the opposite of the road. Yes, these are cousin's of my uncle Bob, but not mine, it is a long story!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, I talked to my aunt Delores this morning, and read your post to her.
They moved up the Ryan in 1962.
She was talking about how nice it was too see all of you when your dad died. She mentioned that Peggy wanted to have her do an oil of a cabin, or something like that. Well, she lost her address to tell her, no she wasn't well enough to do it. Delores showed me how to start painting also, and give me my first set of small tubes of oils. The first oil painting I sold went for $100. I haven't painted in years, actually threw all my paints out. Got tired of trying to please people.

My uncle Bobs dad, Arthur Abrahamson was an uncle to Roy. Richard and Arthur were brothers. Richard came over first from Finland, and then Arthur came. I guess there was a sister who stayed behind. I always liked Roy and Hazel, Hazel was so nice, and I recall both of them being so tall, and yes the kids were tall also.

I am sending you a personal post also.

torggy

Post Number: 724

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to school with Royal Abrahamson. Myself, Steve Syrett and Alan Nylen used to get rides with differant parents to get to and from basketball practice and games. When Royal's mother drove it was always an exciting ride. She would go 90 to 95 MPH down the new highway. When she would hear us whispering about it in the back seat she would turn the dash lights down so we could not see the speedometer.

I understand years later she had an accident on 61 on a stormy winter day. Her car slid off the road across some grass and over the bank into the lake. Lucky for her she got out of the car before it went over. The car was found some distance down the shore, crushed.

I got a new postcard with a great view of Wonderland. My parents met there. Mom was a waitress and Dad was just back from the war.
wonderland
In the upper right corner you can see the entrance to Jhalmer Mattson's (his picture is in the group shot above) litle harbor. Won't that be a great spot for a marina?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a great view Torggy. When we used to go there to dance, it must have been that bigger white building to the left then, as nothing else looks large enough. Didn't realize there were that many cabins.
Yes, I agree, that would be a better safe harbor than what they built at McQuade. McQuade is built out onto the lake! There was no natural harbor there. But, who are we anyway!!
What war was you dad in?

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the Two Harbors warming shack well. I was about 7 years old when I used that rink. I stayed mostly in Segogg but on occasion we'd walk down from there to TH rink.

Nelo was my bus driver. He had the North Shore route but I never knew him when he was that young. He was a good sport and had a great understanding of teenagers.

Where was the Palmer School situated? All I remember is a vacant gas station just past the tracks and to the left as you are going toward the freeway. I do wish many of those old buildings could have been refurbished.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to what I have read, Palmers School was located just north of the Railroad tracks. It was built in 1921. So, not sure what side of the road it was on. I do know on the left hand side of the Homestead there heading north, where Sterblings was, there were buildings back in there, know the school was long gone. Would be interesting to find out where it was located. They had about 40 pupils in eight grades, all taught by one teacher. They held graduate exercises at Bloomingdale School because Palmers School was too small.

There was a school across from CV that was built in 1918, on the Martinson field, (Zane Smith later years) to the north of CV and on the opposite side of the road. CV opened its doors in 1929.

Just reading in the book and it mentions Mrs. Liljander. I heard so many stories of her growing up, that she had healing powers , and stories about her other powers!!!. She lived just above my grandma's house, and there was a trail in the woods going to her house. As a kid I used to walk that trail with my aunt Laraine to visit the Anderson's who bought that property.

There was a school 90 on the Mace property on the Ryan Road, the first one was near the McQuade home on the Old North Shore Road. this was back like around 1917- 1918. Then it states that later a new School 90 was built on the hill near the junction of the Ryan Road and Old North Shore road. But, I am not sure, they might be talking about the same school on the Ryan and Mace property

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Martinson's farm was later sold by the Smiths to the Bruckelmyers. The Martinsons then moved to the house on the Hegberg Rd that they built. Marie Martinson was a cook at the high school with Mrs. Lund. The Martinson's were cousins of mine. Mrs. Lund lived on the Holmstead by the Palins. She later sold it and moved to California.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy that is another great post card. How ever the open area is not Hjalmer Mattson's harbor. That is Schmitt Creek. When there was some super heavy rain, the current blew everything. I have witness the creek blowing everything several times over the years out on the shore. 1972 was one such year. Up north of Silver Bay the Caribu River blew out the road and no one could get through on the shore. Schmitt Creek tunnel under the express way was plugged and over flowed the express way. Storms on the big lake would block the mouth of Schmitt Creek along with other streams.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie - What is the title and author of this book that you have? I would love to purchase a copy. Is it still in print somewhere?

Is the Bloomingdale school still standing? Where was/is it located? Is it off the Ryan Road and was Bloomingdale the first school or were several schools started up to accommodate the population in various areas?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy here is a picture for you, I helped in the kitchen with these two ladies. I haven't been up on the Hegberg for many years, the guys used to hunt up there. Where did they build on that road? I know where the Larson's live, or lived.
cooks

Maxx.. Yes, the rivers can be just as dangerous as the big lake, and probably more so. I too have seen what they can do. I lived on Sucker River for several years.
There is a map in the book and it shows Talmadge, French, Schmidt, Sucker and Knife. I forgot about Schmidt creek, the others were rivers. Told you aging mind, one forgets things, forgot about the creek totally.

(Message edited by Blondie on February 06, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie the book is called "Roots in the Past Seeds for the Future". I bought it at the All School reunion 2000. I have no idea where you could get one. Maybe if you contact the Duluth Township, someone could help you there. Torggy put the website on a previous post here.

No, Bloomingdale school is long gone. It was on the Ryan Road, just past the curve of the Shilhon/Ryan Road.

Schools, this was on the back of a big map in the book.
MCQUADE SCHOOL: NW corner of Flynn Road and Old North Shore Road. Closed 1916

COUNTY SCHOOL 90: Built to replace McQuade and Original School 90. NW corner of Ryan Road and Old North Shore Road on rise above present private home at 5453 Ryan Road. Closed 1932 School was dismantled to build private home

ORINGINAL # 90: on Mace property west side Ryan Road just south of 5544 Ryan Road.

PALMERS #91:near freeway behind 5730 Homestead Road from 1921-1928 then moved to Clover Valley

BLOOMINGDALE 1923-1961 also known as #93 replace earlier Hill School(1908-1916) one room #93(1916-1923) burned. So there were two #93's according to this.

CLOVER VALLEY ELEMENTARY/HIGHSCHOOL: #92 built 1929, enlarged 1953. Elementary pupils moved to North Shore 1961. Two teacherages removed 1970's. Original school burned 1999.

MARTINSON SCHOOL: 1918-1929 this was just across the road from CV.

SWANSON SCHOOL: One room log building built 1984(that is what is says, the must have meant 1884) west side of Homestead Road between Martinson School site and West Knife River Road.

#L-133: classes held in private homes,(Don Driscoll was mentioned as one of the homes) finally had a shool east of the Laine Road, north of Rossini Road.

CROFT SCHOOL: (1890's) corner of Alseth Road and Railroad.

BUCHANAN SCHOOL: (1880's) built near the Lake County Line. Moved to Stoney Point about 1900, then to Palmers in 1904, burned down.

LEPISTO SCHOOL: 7291 Laine Road.

There are 21 schools listed, some in Normanna and some in TH area, and Lakewood areas. But, I figured you would be interested in the ones in and near French River, CV area. Did you know about a school on Stoney Point Bonnie?

(Message edited by Blondie on February 05, 2007)

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I remember Nina Jackson (or was it Mattson) on the old North Shore road. If you turned to the left off the Ryan and onto the Old North Shore and went about a block. Her place was on the right. What I remember was that her husband died some time before and she lived in that house quite a while by herself. I remember the piano in her house. And for some reason other than it struck me first that it was a small baby grand and not an upright. Wait a minute,Now that the old memory is trying to kick back in, I think the baby grande was actually at the Mace sisters place where we would go for the yearly Halloween party. (along with the moosehead on the wall.) We used to go up behind Ninas house to an apple orchard back there and she would pay us to pick apples for her. I think we would get a nickle each after a day of picking. Now that field was also known for its wild strawberries!
Right across from Hazels was Winnie Windberg. Now that lady could drive a car! You just closed your eyes cause if Winnie and Hazel were in the front seat together, you really didn't know who was doing the talking and who was doing the driving, it was a roller coaster ride the whole trip. Can't recall her husbands first name though. Winnie could put the hurt on you if you got out of line and she didn't care whose kid you were or where you were. But she could cook and she fed you till you were about to pop.

(Message edited by Bud on February 05, 2007)

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martinson's house was at the bottom of the hill. We would go sledding down the hill and end up at their house. That was back when Axel Larson lived there. I remember skating at the Two Harbors rink and sledding at the hill in front of the high school. We used to skate at CV, it was great when they had the snow sculptures after homecoming. This was in the early sixties because I remember my Dad skating with us.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie - No, I didn't know about a school at Stoney Point. I'll ask Dad to see if he remembers but he probably won't because that was way before our arrival. My first year at CV was 1961. Fascinating how so many schools burned down.

Cindy, I don't know about a skating rink nor snow sculptures at CV. Refresh my memory. Where did you skate. I graduated in 67 - did all this take place while I was there?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, yes, sometime ask your dad, if he ever heard of a school ever being on Stoney Point.
This was the first I had heard of any such thing.
I myself never realized there were so many schools in the area, so found it quite interesting myself. The reason so many burned down I am sure, is the wood stoves.

Bud,
Nina Johnson was her name. I think her and her husband lived in/where Adeline Winnberg's house before or while they were building their new house. Oh, yes I remember Adeline very well. See, what memories I have stirred up for people!!!
I sent Betty an e-mail but have not heard back yet.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it was the early sixties. They used to make the football field into a skating rink. I remember the sculptures colored with food coloring. It just like the memory of angel hair being used at homecoming. A memorable event when you sit in it.

torggy

Post Number: 731

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! It sure is nice to see all the people using the board. Thanks to all of you.

Blondie my dad was fresh back from the European theater of WWII. He says he walked all the way across Europe and back but never knew where he was.

Bud I used to go up to that old homestead with all the apple trees also. Sure was a neat place. Remember the big house just below the French River bridge in the Ryan Road. Had it's own bridge across the river and everthing. I remember going into it before it got found and trashed. It was beautiful. Had all the furnishings and even pots and pans. There was even an in ground swimming pool.

Max, I am sure you are right about that being Schmidt Creek. It all came back to me once you said that. We use to go snagging suckers there.

torggy

Post Number: 732

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my "Roots of the Past" book at the All-class reunion also.

I did find this on the Township site;
Duluth Township History
The North Shore Elementary School and residents of the Township prepared a history of the area called:
Roots of the Past--Seeds for the Future, the heritage and history of Clover Valley, French River and Surrounding Communities. It was published by the Clover Valley/French River Community History Committee and the North Shore Elementary School, Duluth, 2000.
Copies are available at Scenic Cafe, the Corner Cupboard, Barnes and Noble, and by contacting the school.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - I'll see if the Barnes and Noble here can get it for me and/or I'll contact the North Shore Elementary. Thank you, Torggy.

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy,
Your talking about the old Arcadia. Spooky Place for young kids for a time. Wasn't it a Catholic retreat house originally? I remember the pool and the house. It had a great big stone fireplace. There were two brothers who took care of the place that lived across the wooden walk bridge and up a set of stairs. I'll eventually remember the names. I think Gustafsons bought the place and moved in for a while. Then it burned down. Was it the Sink ??brothers or something like that? I always thought the location was perfect, right on the river.
Do you remember the tunnel? Whenever it rained we would all head for the tunnel with inner tubes to ride through it and hit the standing wave at the end. (It's also where Hazel caught Royal and I smoking cigarettes. Never saw Royal for the rest of the summer! HA!)
Cindy, Did you have a sister that graduated in 71 and now works at Westwood?
Bonnie, Were you in any of the plays that were held at CV?
Carole, Do you remember the Winters?

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if Mrs. Frink still lives on the Ryan road? I had her for 4th grade. (TWICE!) Or we could say 8th grade???

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud yes I do have a sister working there. Are you talking about the Winters that lived on the Holmstead Rd? They were related to the Larsons that lived on the top of the hill on the Hegberg Rd.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 61

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, I sure do remember the Winters, Kathy was in my class and there was Judy and Rodger, think he was the oldest. These are the ones I remember. They lived on the corner of Homestead Road, and Hegberg, same side as CV school was on.
I didn't know they were related to Larson's, Bev was in our class also. (if I did know, I have forgotten, seems everyone is related to everyone anyway) Ted Larson, the dad lived just below the old Fire Tower. We used to take field trips up to the Fire Tower.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Mrs. Frink still lived on the Ryan, but may be wrong.

Growing up I remember hearing about that place you guys are talking about, and I too thought it belonged at one time to some religious order. I never had a chance to go in there, but it sounds awesome. Bud, where did this tunnel eventually come out at? Sounds like fun!!

Toggry my dad was in WWII also, he was in the 82nd Airborne, in the glider division. They glided in Germany...sitting ducks!! He talks of how they would take over homes over there, kick the people out. He even has pictures of those homes, beautiful homes.
Torggy did you ever see the book "HomeTown Hero's".? St. Louis County put it out, it is about our service people who served in WWII. One could put anyone who had served in the war in there, and tell something about them. I happened to see something in the paper, so contacted them, and I put my dad in there. Although he was added towards the end, as they had an add on section. Interesting book.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bud - Yes, I was in the drama club and played in The Skeleton Walks my senior year.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara Larson was a Winter. She married Raymond who lived at the top of the hill. Axel Larson lived on one side and Raymond on the other. Bruce bought Raymonds house and Ricki Larson bought Axel's.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I graduated with Alice Larson. Is she related to the Larsons you are talking about?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 62

Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never heard of Barbara Larson, what was this Raymonds last name? The house Bruce bought was or seemed to be very modern, I had the understanding he built it, as I thought Rick built the one across the road. Interesting.
Rick sold that, and lives outside of TH in the country, and his wife works at Pamida.

(Message edited by Blondie on February 07, 2007)

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbara was a Winter. She married Raymond Larson and had three kids. One boy named Stanley and two daughters, one was named Doreen. Stanley graduated in'71 and Doreen was in '74 I think. The other girl was younger and I don't recall her name. I believe the house was built for Axel (across the road) after all the kids grew up and the other house was too big. Bruce built the house he lives in now in the '80's or so. The orginal was close to road across the road from the one Rick lived in. It was surrounded by a couple of barns. Bruce's house is way back by the woods and overlooks the old house.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 63

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read your other post wrong about who Barbara was. A call came in on the screen, and I took that, and should have gone back and read your post again. Sorry about that.

When you say she was a Winter, was she a sibling to the kids I knew? I just am not familiar with either Barabara or Raymond. Beverly was a sibling to Bruce and Rick. Her and her husband had/built? that nice home just around the curve past her dad's house as you head to TH. Then they moved, I believe to Idaho, and can't remember where they live now. Sometime when I am in Pamida I will have to ask Rick's wife.
I called my uncle and aunt last night, so we were discussing this. He also said about Bruce living on the Axel Larson homestead, but he forgot about him building a house. He couldn't remember about Rick's house, so next time I talk to him, I will tell him this. I do remember Rick's house being really close to the road.
I am familiar with who is who to a certain degree up in CV area, more familiar with people that lived in my area. Less familiar now, as so many new faces in the area, the older generations are disappearing.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Subject: Minnesoodda (I just got this morning, so had to put this in here, wow can I relate to some of these)

Gotta love this....
If You Grew Up IN Rural Minnesota:

You know how to polka, but never tried it sober.

You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means.

You know it is traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping
between the reception and wedding dance.

You know the difference between "Green" and "Red" farm machinery, and
would fight with your friends on the playground over which was better!

You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm.

You spent more on beer & liquor than you did on food at your wedding.

You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't break into
uncontrollable laughter.

You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at the county fair.

You know that "combine" is a noun.

You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a
steel post in the middle of winter.

You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions.

You know that "creek" rhymes with "pick".

Football schedules, hunting season and harvest are all taken into
consideration before wedding dates are set.

A Friday night date is getting a six-pack and taking your girlfriend
shining for deer.

Saturday you go to your local bowling alley.

There was at least one, if not several, in your class who had to help milk cows in
the morning

You have driven your car on the lake.

You can make sense of "upnort" and "baatree".

Every wedding dance you have ever been to has the hokey pokey and the
chicken dance.

Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar.

The local gas station sells live bait.

At least twice a year some part of your home doubles as a meat
processing plant.

You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday.

You actually understand these jokes and will forward them to all your
Minnesota friends!!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 737

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can really associate with "You know how to polka, but never tried it sober."

Bud, thanks for reminding me that the old place on the French was called Arcadia. My dad tells me it was orginaly owned by a wealthy family form Duluth called Mathison, I believe.

I walked through the French River tunnel under the new highway this summer. It was nice and cool on a hot day. No trip to Duluth would be complete without walk through the tunnel. Ever done it in the winter? Can be great fun with water running under thin ice and ice dams to crawl over.

I was very niave about the inter-relations of all the families on the shore but now I have been introduced to the inter-relations of those in Clover Valley itself. I am overwhelmed

There used to be so many "cabin courts" along thw shore. Stromgrens was next to our house. My mother worked there for years and I would caretake the place on weekends so Philip and family could get away.
stromgrens

torggy

Post Number: 738

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swanson, Thelma "Dolly"

Thelma 'Dolly' Swanson, 80, Clover Valley, died Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007 at the Sunrise Home. She was born March 7, 1926 to Thorstein and Anne (Marken) Borgen in Duluth. She was a lifetime resident of Clover Valley, graduated from high school and married Orville Weidemann in 1946 of Phoenix, Ariz. She later married Ardell Swanson. Dolly was a waitress, cook and homemaker. She was a member of the Moose, American Legion and the VFW. She enjoyed gardening, knitting and crocheting. She is preceded in death by her parents; second husband; and sister, Alice. Dolly is survived by her children, John (Robbie) Weidemann of Faribault, Minn., Linda (Fred) Hendrickson and Mary (Stanley) Towers all of Two Harbors; sisters, Joan, Mildred, Ida, and Carol; grandchildren, Anne, Jean, Billy, Asher, Dareth, Arden, and Tami; great-grandchildren, Ashley, Casey, Nicklas, Ryan, Claire, Arron, Marit, Wyate and Luke; great-great grandson, Kain; and numerous nieces and nephews. SERVICES:will not be held per Dolly's request. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 2/8/2007

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dang, I had a message written out, clicked something and the darn thing disappeared.

Torggy, in talking to my uncle and aunt last night, my uncle said the Arcadia, was a weekend retreat for some Catholics. After it burned down, Bruce Matheison built a home there. Not sure, he could have bought the place before it burned. He sold it eventually and actually they said, there was a for sale sign sitting out there this past week, but it was gone now yesterday.

So, the tunnel you guys are talking about, just goes under the freeway then?

Did you get that picture of Stromgren's motel off E-bay? I remember the motel, but for the life of me, can't remember where it was located? So, you lived next door to it huh?

I haven't even gone out to get the paper, so was surprised by Thor Borgen's daughters obit in there, she was my mothers age, so sure my mother knew her.

But, I was even more shocked to see that Mary Towers is her daughter, that I did not know. Stan and Mary live one block over and down from us. I see them out an about, but that is it, just see them.

The only sisters names I recognize, are Joan and Carol, actually Carol was one year behind me in school.

Don't know about anyone else, but seems the world is getting smaller and smaller!!! "what a small world"

bassman

Post Number: 705

Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thor Borgen's name ran a bell. When back for a visit in T.H. many years ago, I always would stop in at Kendall's Fish and pickup some smoked Ciscos and Lake Trout to bring to my Dad. While in there buying smoked fish, I noticed a wood carving of a robin feeding her three chicks. It was for sale, so bought it and on the back it said: No. 2 Made by Thor E. Borgen, Two Harbors, Minn. I still have it hanging on my den wall. Hopefully I can get a picture of it posted here...
Thor Borgen Carving

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is really a nice plaque bassman. Thor had a little shop set up, and he did his wood carvings there.
I still can see their house in my mind.
My grandparents had a berry farm up in that area, so we would take different routes to the farm, and often go by their house.
I gather you live out of state bassman? If that is you in the picture, you sure look familiar.

torggy

Post Number: 739

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stromgrens was about a quarter mile towards Duluth from the Ryan Road.

Yes the tunnel goes under the freeway. It is about 12 feet wide and 12 feet high with a curve in it. When ya come out on the top end there are some really nice waterfalls and some great little swimming holes.

Thanks for the great picture Bassman.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought I would put in this picture of the last house I lived in before my dad built our new home. This is the old Lundquist home, it is off the Shilhon Road,(Lundquist Road) which is a dead end road. This home had no running water, and the well was not useable. I tell people, yes we had running water, when my dad used to run across the field to fetch our water at grandmas. My grandma Abrahamson lived right across the field from this house.
When I lived in it, it had siding on it, and there was an addition on the lower half on one side. Looking at this picture, and seeing a building on the left, I am thinking this was the side they added a porch and bedroom. The main part was livingroom here in front, and back a kitchen. Upstairs two bedrooms, mine faced grandma's house. The second bedroom, just had lots of old junk from the Lundquist left in it. There was a big sawmill there/box factory, which was still used when we lived there in the late 50's. There was a bobcat that hung around the sawmill, and I remember our cats, not wanting to go outside at night, if they were out, and we could hear the cry of the bobcat, they wanted in fast. Found this picture in Roots of the Past.

lundquist house

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is incredible, Blondie. I love the history we are getting here. Thank you for sharing this.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this interesting in the book also. Our country entered WWII in 1941. The fear of sabotage caused precautions to be taken, even at home here. The war depended heavily on raw materials being supplied by the iron mines of the region. Much of that Iron Ore was shipped along the DM&IRR. Every bridge along the rail line between the City of Duluth and Two Harbors, was protected by an armed watchman, including several sites within our community.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy, my uncle finally remembered who you were talking about, Barbara Winter. He found his yearbook from 47-48, he graduated in 48.(Robert Abrahamson) She graduated in 49 with my other uncle(Howard Abrahamson). Now it is all starting to click for him, memories really coming back. They were always there, but were in storage, now they are coming out of storage!!
Guess, I am sure stirring up memories for people.

bassman

Post Number: 706

Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I live out of state blondie, So. CA. Born and raised in T.H. 1932 and left for CA in April of 1953 and been here ever since. And yes that is me in the picture from about 12 years ago on Lake Powell, Utah with a 5 lb LMB....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 70

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy another good button. In the paper this week, was the first Winter Frolic queen, so neat. Where are you getting all of these?

Bassman do you have any relatives living in TH yet?

bassman

Post Number: 707

Posted on Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No I don't blondie. My Dad died in 1995 and the rest of my relatives moved away many years ago. But I still consider it my hometown. Lot of good memories of growing up in T.H. in the 30's and 40's when iron ore was king.....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about your dad bassman. were you an uptown kid, or a downtown kid?

Yes, iron ore certainly was king. did you ever steam ore?

I love the sounds of the trains during the night. We used to live only a block from the tracks, and actually from our upstairs back porch, we could see the trains. Love the sound of the trains running at night.

During the summer when we have our windows open, we can still hear the hum of the trains at night, we don't live as close now, but still can hear them.

Still can't beat the sound of the old steam engine. I love when it makes its tourist trips in the summer, can hear the huff and the puff of it coming and going. It always goes up over the underpass and back down, and that is when you can really hear the engine working.

bassman

Post Number: 708

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a downtown kid. (Gosh, I haven't heard that in a long time.)

Yes I spent many a night steaming ore cars. Dirty job, but good pay. I also was a gandydancer for awhile as well. Worked one summer in Highlands.

Funny how one can get used to noise and sleep right through it. Also loved hearing the fog horn and the Edna G when she went out to escort an ore boat into the docks. I loved the old steam engines and especially riding the passenger train that went to Ely. Fondly remember riding it to Brimson in the summer for a week at Camp House on Lake George.

Good Memories.....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, my husband was a downtown kid also. He lived right across the street from Minnehaha.

My husband also went to Camp House, someone would sponsor them. He loved it up there, and talks of it often.

In one of the posts I think it was Bud who asked about a train going to Ely, so there was one.

Oh yes, hearing the Edna G, when she escorted a boat into the docks, what a nice sound. In the summer, I can hear the ore boats blow their whistle, suppose on entering and leaving...that is above the noise of the steady flow of traffic on 7th.

when we came home today from Duluth, you should have seen the ice fisherman out by Lester River on the lake, it was unreal. Some were quite a ways out. That ice hasn't been there long. The lake farther up the shore is open, and talk about a beautiful deep blue today. Say, it was +22 today, much better.

My husband was wondering who you are, if you don't want to post on the site, I understand.

He doesn't have anything to do with computers, which is fine with me, we would be fighting over it!!!!

bassman

Post Number: 709

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have sent you a PM with my name....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 73

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bassman, yes, your name is familiar with us, at least last name, but actually first one also. I go, "I have heard that name before".
When I told my husband, he goes, there are no family members left anymore. He thought you had a sister, possibly a brother.
What did you do for work in CA?

torggy

Post Number: 742

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to Camp House for several years. We drove the car up. Must have been neat to take the train.

Blondie, the buttons come from Ebay.

Thought some might like this picture:
bluebird

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 74

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you don't find on e-bay torggy. Now you did post this time

Now, wouldn't that be neat if they still had something like that at Bluebird landing. Places like this are drawing cards, just like the railroad cars stuck up in the woods. Guess they are going to be putting in more cars. (these up from Betty's Pie's)

bassman, your dad drove a big caddie.

thanks to being on the forum, I finally connected with one of my classmates.

(Message edited by Blondie on February 12, 2007)

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Refresh my memory as to where BlueBird Landing is. I remember the name but the location escapes me.

Also, the picture of CV circa 1935 - Who went to Bloomingdale if CV was built? When was Bloomingdale built? (I'm referring to Madd Maxx's addition on the home page.) Those of you who remember the typing room and the Cavalier annual room downstairs - which entrance on that picture is the one we used to come out of the old building from the upstairs where classes were held? It's a wonderful picture of the old school.

Bassman and Blondie: I have a beautiful copy of a painting of the Edna G. framed in my livingroom. It came from a 1960 calendar that my mother had under her bed. (Remember the great, big calendars in those days?) My sisters and I found it after she passed away. I had to have it. The Edna G. was such a big part of my childhood as well.

Bassman: I wonder if you remember my father?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, Bluebird Landing is between Palmers and Old Shorecrest.

I went to Bloomingdale. Bloomingdale School93 was very highly rated, the best in the county.
It had three big classrooms and a library. Two of the classrooms had a folding door between them which was opened to creat an auditorium for school progams. The first 8 grades met in the classrooms and the high school grades 9, 10, and 11 met in the library. In the early days, they had to go to Duluth for 12th grade. Next door stood a small school building that sometimes used to accomodate two or three classes, sometimes grades 4, 5, and 6. The teachers lived upstairs of Bloomingdale.
In the 1930's Boomingdale began graduating students after 8th grade, and they went to CV for high school.
In the later years, Bloomingdale served 1st-4th grades, then went on to CV.

Bonnie, when I went to Bloomingdale, I went from 1st-4th grade, then in 1955, I went to CV,(after the new additions was built) until I graduated. Bloomingdale closed in 1961. I left in 62 and do believe it was still standing. Honestly don't remember when it was torn down even.

The typing room at CV, was on the right of the picture,(stairs went down, and up from that entrance) as the new school was added on to the left of the picture. Beautiful picture of the old school. Just wish we could find one of the old/new school, a full picture.

Yes, they did have beautiful calendars. That is nice Bonnie.

Bassman do you remember the Harbor theater? We have an old poster from there. Movie was a Gene Autry and the other one a Shirley Temple movie. Out of a stack, this was the only one that didn't get ruined, some guy gave it to us.
Bassman, drop Bonnie a PM to as who you are, if you want.

bassman

Post Number: 710

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I told my husband, he goes, there are no family members left anymore. He thought you had a sister, possibly a brother.
===================================
Yes I do. My brother, Scotty, was in an auto accident in 1980 and became a quad. He died 14 years later in 1994. He was 4 years younger than me. My sister Joyce is still alive and married 59 years to Burton Peterson from Knife River. They live in a retirement home in Carlsbad, CA. She just got over a battle with cancer and is now cancer free, thank God.
What did you do for work in CA?
===============================
I spent 44 years in the Industrial Packaging Business. Corrugated boxes, tape, cushion material, etc.. Retired on March 31, 2000 and love not having to get up at 5 AM anymore and go to the office..
bassman, your dad drove a big caddie.

Thanks to being on the forum, I finally connected with one of my classmates.
===========================================
...Yes he did. He always loved big cars......

....Now you got me going Blonde. Were you in the T.H. class of 1950? If so, send me a PM with your maiden name. And do I know your husband also?
============================================

Yes I remember the Harbor Theater and also the State Theater also. I lived at 714 Second Ave., the house that got burned down a year or two ago, in the 30's and early 40's. I worked at the State theater cleaning up after the movies and changing the billboards. When it burned down, I worked at the Harbor theater, cleaning up and also helped run the movie projectors. The man that ran them was Max Mishler (sp) and he taught me how to make a flying switch from one projector to the other without causing a break in the film shown on the screen. He also taught me how to rewind and put on the next canister of film. Lot of fun.

Max got together with Les Hermans, who had the Mobil gas station on 7th Ave. between 5th and 6th streets if I recall right. They bought a panel truck and went to Duluth at 4 AM Monday to Friday and picked up milk, cream, cottage cheese at Twin Ports and then chickens and eggs somewhere down on Michigan Street. I was about 14 years old when I went along with one of them and delivered the goods to private homes and resorts all the way to Grand Portage. We would get back to T.H. about 3-4 PM. Forgot how much they paid me per day, but it was fun to see all the resorts. Twig Johnson, who was in my sister's class of 1946 bought them out finally and ran it for a number of years.....

Sorry for getting so long winded. You brought back a lot of wonderful memories of my hometown...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, I am the CV gal, my husband is the TH person, but I have lived here since 62. I have lived most my life here really. Naturally over the years, listening to my husband and his friends talk, seems I have lived here all my life. I paid attention to them talking. Plus my dad worked the railroad up here, so as a kid, we came to TH often. I remember our car always being covered with ore dust, and how dirty the snow was here in town.

I think the way I stated it, you assumed I was in your class, but I meant, I connected with someone from my class through this forum, from CV.

Yes, don't you just love not having to get up early. I started work at 5.

That is so sad about your brother. The name Burton Peterson does not ring a bell.

That building that Twig Johnson owned, is long gone, there is a drive through coffee place there now.

You lived two blocks down from my husband. He talks how he used to go over to the tracks, and pick up coal for their stove.

I took care of your Step mom when she was in the nursing home, think her first name was Doris.

Think you know a Bud and Margie, when they lived in CA! She is my husbands sister. Does that help you to figure out who my husband is?

bassman

Post Number: 711

Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right about Doris. She was one fine lady.

Yes I know Bud and Margie. Always looked them up when I come to T.H. Now all I have to do is try and remember Margie's maiden name. I know they lived across the street from the Minnehaha School on 4th Avenue. Say hi to Bud and Margie next time you see them...

torggy

Post Number: 745

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been getting some stories from a CV'er that graduated in 1955:

Hi: Torggy I graduated in 1955, went to CV grade 9 thru 12. Attended grade school in WI. Lived with my Aunt & Uncle thru high school yrs. Lived on Greenwood Rd. There was a post on 1-10-07 and it was Ann Albright who wrote Alma Mater Dear. We had 10 Students at the start of the year but Carolyn Loomis left us before school year ended. The first home coming game & dance in the new gym was that year. How well I remember as I was the captain of the team and had the honor of crowning Nancy Johnson queen. Our theme was swords out for Arnold and we beat them 53-39. We had a great band and my date for the dance was a very attractive sophomore. I saw Dumpy Lahti name mentioned also. My senior year he played guard with me. In the for years I played Dave dump Lahti was the best ball player and One of the best to come out of CV. I saw his younger brother Philip play but I felt dumpy was much more physical. I also saw the winter name was mentioned and there was one name missing, it was Mickey Winter He was also in my class and played on the line for our football team he was one tough kid. We played 6-man football and I guess they went to 8-man a few yrs later. The four yrs I was in high school Patrick M. King coached football, basketball, track, and baseball. Our senior yr was the first time the yr. book came out in a hard cover. After graduation I went to work for the DM&IR started out as a machinist helper and then went as a Brakemen. The job was great but it was to seasonal and left to much time for bar hopping. After black Friday I went to work for white Pine Copper Mine in the UP 9 -miles south of Lake S. Went to work later as a Federal Mine Inspector for US Dept. of Labor. I only seen one football and basketball game after I gretuated. Sure wish I would of seen more.Well enouth for now these 70-year old eyes are getting tired. Thank You DAB

torggy

Post Number: 746

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More from DAB. I really like this one.

Hi: Playing 6-man football you could not have a direct handoff to a running back, it had to be about a 1-yard pitch off. The quarterback could drop back and throw a pass with out a pitch off. 15yrds for a first down, either run, pass. or kick, for x-tra point and all three counted as one point. My freshman & sophomore year we had quarterback who scored our x-tra points with a drop kick, he was very good at it. I did play quarterback my Jr.&Sr. year, was not that good I was a skinny kid in high school. Got my butt beat bad in football. The best year we had during my four yrs. was Jr. Yr. We won 4 and lost 1. We beat Alborn, TM, Brookston, and Cotton put the hammer to us. Brookston and Alborn were separate schools at that time. I missed we also bead Wrenshall. Our senior year we were 2&2. Al Ness became football coach the year after I graduated. If my memory recalls me right he was head football coach at Duluth East {I think}

There was a post on 1/29/07 as to a restaurant west of the Fish Fry towards town. Elmgrens Motor Court was next to the Fish Fry and then there was the Pines. This I know for sure as the Pines was one of our watering holes. It closed during the winter months, and it was owned by MA Forrest who also owned the Forest Inn I don't remember her first name her husband was a engineer on either the Great Northern or Northern Pacific RR. Our watering Holes were The Pines , Forrest Inn , Wonderland, Shorcrest, Striblings at the tracks near the Homestead road. and the Missile Inn. Of course the VFW, American Legion, and Moose in Two Harbors.

DAB sounds like my kind a guy

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just saw the note from DAB. Nice to get the 1955 perspective. I graduated in 1960 so I remember those people quite well. That six man football team was very good. He's right, Dave (Dumpy Laite) was a very gifted athlete. He went on to UMD and played for them his freshman year. I remember a tournament at Esko and he started sinking hookshots-couldn't miss. He was the class of 1956. He also had some teammates from his class. Jerry Jackson and Gerry Gustafson. Lyle Jackson was also part of that team and he was one big boy. It was fun going to ballgames in those days. DAB was a good athlete also-football and I think basketball.
In those days, the basketball team held it's practices at the Homecroft Gym. We had no Gym other than a room we ate lunch in. The new addition hadn't been built yet. I was in the 7th or 8th grade when that construction started. I recall we actually were able to go in and shoot baskets on the concrete floor. Also, in those days there was an outside band platform and a corral. Not sure about the history of it. I'll need to check with my dad or aunt as to what it was used for.

Blondie mentioned the old box factory by her house. I remember going up there with my granddad and buying fish boxes. Wally and Priscilla Mattson lived in on that road also.

Someone had mentioned Hjalmer Mattson earlier. They were the first family to settle along the shore in the French River area. That information was shared with me by Mrs. Victor Sundstrom (Ida). She also talked about the forest fire in 1917 that burned down to the railroad tracks right behind Dave Jackson's house. They all led their cows down to the lake but the fire didn't make it across the tracks.

I grew up playing on Greenwood Road. In those days it didn't go all the way thru. It stopped at the two creeks. We had to haul our bicycles up and down the banks. Families on Greenwood Road then were Elickson (Duke, Faye, Diane, and Gloria). Matt Picari, Pete and Kathy Beck, Oscar Hellum, George and Ellyn Sundstrom, George, Bill, Peggi, Kathy, Rick, I think Bob was born after they moved to Nordling Road. Pete and Alice Dahlberg, Norma, Roy, Wayne, Jim, and Glenn were next. Helge and Svea Jackson were next to them, Jan, Ron, Jerry, Phillip, Martin, Bernie (Hilding), Bob, Les and David. Gustafson was below, Rudy and Elma, Gus (Gerry), Peggy and Karen. Next to them was Ida and Victor Sundstrom (my granddad's brother)their brother John and his wife Alma lived below and a couple of houses over. Leonard and Edna (Dahlberg) Johnson lived above Victor, Dennis, Gloria, Paul, Daryl and Tom. Those of you familier with the Corner Cupboard, that was the location of Gust Dahlberg's Smoked Fish and Cabins. It was later purchased by the Newman family in West Duluth. They also owned Newman's pharmacy. They sold it to LeRoy Olson from Minneapolis. Also on Greenwood Road were Walter and Marie Johnson, Ed and Carol. Above was Bud and Leona Lundin and Chuck. Then where Sandy's Beauty Nook is were Ed and Edith Mattson, Larry and Louise. Across the creek were the Zink's. Jay is still there. Ubers lived next to Jay, Andrew Carlsons above, George and Signe Stromgren, Herb and Corrine Bloomquist, Barb, Joann, and Betty. That was pretty much Greenwood Road in our neighborhood.

Bloomingdale was three grades when I went there. Mrs. McKenzie was first grade, Mrs. Madelin second, and Mrs. Williams third grade. Mrs Sunde was the cook and Mr. Ratkovich was the janitor-Kathy and Lloyd's grandfather. And yes, we got a Cheerio or a Dreamcycle if we ate all our lunch that week. It was an interesting setup. If you all remember, the kitchen was also the library. We would have to carry our plates back into the classroom and eat at our desks. In those days the desks were rows fastened together. They slanted on top for writing and each had a place for an inkwell. There was no inkwell but rather a hole. Needless to say, the janitor spent most of the lunch hour cleaning up spilled milk and food dumped in laps!

Bus drivers then were Walter Johnson, Niilo Gustafson, Ludvig Solem, Herb Gerth, and Ted Larson. Walter only drove to Bloomingdale so the 4th grade and up had to transfer to another bus. I can't remember what year Reino Touminen, Ken Hendrickson and Dick Peterson came along but they were there also.

Looking forward to the new restaurant. Had lunch with Alvera last summer at a SwedeFinn gathering and she was excited about it.

How many of you remember the old train depot from Lakewood being moved to behind Striblings?

Ice Cream socials at the fish hatchery?

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sure is fun to watch from afar as you folks remember old times...I forgot all about the Fish Fry place until I seen that picture...Torggy, I had to laugh at your smelting hi jinx, we also did the same thing but would troll the Knife River campground looking for coolers that were not being watched...we actually ended up with some very expensive coolers that were explained in very unique ways to our parents on how we now have them...sorry, maybe we were the reason in the decline of the smelters to the north shore...carry on and I will continue to enjoy the reminiscing.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to continue with my rambling about the Greenwood Road history as I know it. I forgot to list Phyllis Jackson-ahh the golden years! There were several other families too that had history on Greenwood. John Bergendahl and his brother William. They were close to the Elicksons. I also need to mention Leander and Tillie Johnson and Arvid. Aili and Vera lived in California. Glen and Beatrice Uber lived just east of Zinks. Andrew and Rose Carlson moved from below Elicksons on the highway to Greenwood Road. I believe they bought and moved Milton Alseth's old house and remodeled it. Arvid Stromgren (Stromgren's Motor Court) also lived on Greenwood. Ted and Mabel Laiti were below the Bloomquists.

Just a bit on the commercial fishing families. As I mentioned in my previous posting, Hjalmer Mattson's father Louis homesteaded below where Alpert's Motel was. Heading west, the next one I remember was Paul Johnson who was from Sweden. He had a slide below where Torggy's parents live. Next west was Marv Swenson. Then Leander, Walter, and Arvid Johnson. The next slide was Adolph Sundstrom although he only fished parttime as he worked at the fish hatchery. He was a foreman under Ben Gustafson. Next was John Gustafson and John Sundstrom. They were partners. I can remember the Herring runs in the fall. The old Kohlenberg pulling the boats up on the slide. Just to mention how hard the life was for the wifes, they would do their work at home to keep the family going and then go down and clean fish the rest of the day! There was a concrete dock down there to protect them from rough water when coming in with the days catch.

West of them were Victor and Bert and Cliff Sundstrom. I think Andrew Carlson had a slide near them at one time, I don't remember him commercial fishing there however.

It was quite a busy time in those days. The fishermen would stack the boxes by the highway and Northshore Freight would pick them up. They were packed in ice. Oh, and how did they get ice? The cut it in the winter out in the lake and stored it in their icehouses. The last one I remember was Just below Cliff Sundstrom's, in fact, it was the back of where the Corner Cupboard now is. The ice would be packed in sawdust and it was surprising how long it would last.

We had numerous vendors that would come to each house in those days. Hartmann's Bakery, Duluth Ice and Fuel, Ray K. the meatman, Stahl and Pioneer Tea Company to name a few. It was quite interesting in that most of the wives didn't drive. There were very few in the neighborhood that did so the door to door vendor was popular. Those of you who live or lived on the Holmstead Road may remember Elmer Johnson. He had a home bakery and made great cinnamon toast and Hardtack (which I never acquired a taste for).

More on Bloomingdale and Clover Valley memories to follow.

torggy

Post Number: 747

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! This is awesome stuff. I am still trying to get my mind around Greenwood road ending at the creeks. Ida used to make rag rugs in a building just across the road from Zinks, I think. I remember walking by on the road and hearing the clacking of the loom. Every morning when I swing my feet out of bed they land on one of her old rugs. She was my God-mother.

It is hard now for us to imagine as we drive along the shore just how busy a place it was during the fishing years.
fishing shacks

Skipper, thanks for the kind words. One of these years I am gonna make it to one of the Indian Lake sing-alongs

dab
Rookie Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About CV basketball. I recall an artical the news tribune did on the team. I believe the headline read The Traveling Team In MN. The story ran on the sports page in 1953 or 54. It was when they had a orange sports page I think. It was when Homecroft was our home gym. I am guessing the gym was about 20- miles from CV. We practiced mom, tue,wed, and played on thur night.

torggy

Post Number: 748

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marv Swenson passed away just not to many years ago now. He used to go out and set nets through the ice in winter. He pulled a 12 foot aluminum boat behind him like a sled. He would head out onto the lake just before dawn. My Dad would watch for him to come back in with a fresh catch of fish. Many mornings I woke up to Dad making fishcakes from Marv's fresh catch.

The little building that sits in the front yard just to the east of my parents house was my Grandfather Wallis's fishing shack and was originally built on the beach then later taken apart and reassembled at it's present location. There was an old root cellar just across the road from Mom and Dadís. At the top of the bank. A left over from the old fishing days. Some used it to keep their beer cool and hidden. Also, right there were stairs that led from the top of the bank down to the beach. Where the fishing shack sat.

Anyone remember the machines Hjalmer used to put together? I remember a Model A Ford with tracks on the back and skis on the front tires. It had a camper like structure on the back. Like a snowmobile motorhome.

LWM, thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing more.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, thanks for inserting the picture of the fishhouse. That's the one I was referring to in my posting. However, the caption is mislabeled. It is the Sundstrom/Gustafson fishhouse. The Johnson's had their fishhouse just east of the Corner Cupboard. If you look down by the lake there you will see the concrete footings still there. I didn't realize that your granddad dabbled in fishing-that one I don't remember. Must have been before my time.

The loom you are referring to was in Andrew Carlson's shed. Andrew was directly west of Rolla and Winnie. I have a chair cushion which Ida made for me and serves as a reminder of what a kind and considerate lady she was.

Marv Swenson was another special person. He would plow all the driveways along the neighborhood and charge maybe $2.00 a time. He did a lot of work for the Clifton Fire Dept. as well.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjalmer made all kinds of machines. Hjalmer worked on his break wall to the late hours of the night. When I have some free time I will share a few Hjalmer stories. I would help him mix concrete during some of those nights. He also would drege his little harbor he had there. Note to Norma, I hope your lunch was good today.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time to close this thread. Please continue on the next. I love this stuff!
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration