Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * New Restaurant < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

claire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am writing to update anyone curious about the new restaurant on the Homestead Road. It is called the Lighthouse on Homestead and will have a full bar, casual dining and good homemade food. The owners are all local, born and raised here. Lynne Pierson Compton graduated CV 1974 (last graduating class!) Claire Pierson Seckinger graduated 1977 from TH, Brita Pierson Aug graduated from TH 1987 and Andrea Compton Darsow daughter of Lynne graduated TH 1993. We grew up next to Shorecrest. Our mom, Alvera Anderson Pierson graduated from CV in 1950 along with twin brother Alvin Anderson. Our brothers are Dave Pierson graduated 1971 from CV and Jeff Pierson, graduated 1972 from CV. We hope the restaurant will become a spot where you can visit friends and catch up on what's happening in our community. If anyone has old pictures of the township that would be of interest, our decor will feature old photos of our area. We don't get a chance to get on this site very often but will try to check in periodically. Our target opening date is the end of May 2007.
Stop by and watch our construction!

Yunomi
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To my good friends, the "Colorful Claire", the "Lovely Lynn", and "Andrea the Giant", just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your new venture! And, do you know where you could get a really good cheesecake?

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 77

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been off this forum for several days, and was shocked to see all the posts. This is just great!! We were up to our son's house babysitting our granddaughters...can't really say that, as one is 16 and one is soon 12, and then our 18 year old grandson came home. Just got back today, and headed for the computer as soon as I could.

I am going to print off all the posts, and then respond to some.

As far as the new restuarant, I know many people can't wait for it to open!!!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 716

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to see you back Blondie and thanks for the e-mail update...

Grandkids are great. If I knew how much fun they were back years ago, we would have had them first...

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just spoke with John (DAle)Nylen and he had spoken with his mother regarding the conversation in a previous posting regarding the bridge on the French above the dam. That was the original road. It curved over by Matt Jackson's store and went thru where the Bloomquist brothers had their Steel fabrication shop. It actually went down alongside the dam to the hatchery. The road was built straight down to the highway eventually. Also, that road, which started above the fire hall was called the Balsam Road. Adeline and Victor Winberg lived below where the firehall is and on the east side were Roy and Hazel Abrahamson. Reuben and Dorothy Bloomquist were down the hill a bit on the west side next to the Railroad tracks, then Schmidt's, Rudy and Carrie Anderson. Across the road next to Greenwood Road were the Bob Abrahamson's. The MacLeans were at he bottom of the hill on the highway. Across from them was Anderson's Store. When that store was opened, it was a motel, restaurant (burgers, fries, etc)Gas, and later converted to a grocery store.

French River Lutheran Church was constructed in 1954, I believe. The church was previously up on the Ryan Road where Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Engelson live.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM,(Warren)? you spoke of Bob Abrahamson's(my uncle) they lived directly below Schmidt's house, on the north side of Greenwood Road. Actually they bought their water from Schmidt's. Just talked to my aunt yesterday, and we were talking about your post, and people you mentioned.
I remember the MacLean girls in school.

Also, yes, Englesons house was a Lutheran church.

french river church

The congregation of French River Lutheran was organized on July 2, 1924, with a membership of 24 adults and 27 children. It was first called Immanuel Lutheran Church. Worship services and other activities were held in private homes and Bloomingdale school for years.

I think Dumpy Laiti was in the class of 57, as in 55, he was a Sophmore. Looked it up. Phil was in either 7 or 8th at that time.There is a combined picture of those classes, so not sure which one it was.

Oh yes, the Stahl Tea guy, he came to our house often, and also Watkins.

When I went to school, the girls played half court in Basketball. I was on the defense side mostly, that much I remember, and can't recall how many on each side. We could only take two steps and had to get rid of the ball. Maybe someone has more vivid memories of girls basketball than I do and how it was played. It was not my thing.

Yes, the Lundquists sold fish boxes. Mattson's lived farther up the road, about 2 blocks. This was called the Lundquist road(Shilhon). Back then, there was Lundquists first, which was a good block off the main road, on north side, then Mattson's on south side, then Holappa's lived just a little farther up the road on the north side, then at the end of the road, was Mattson's Fall's on the Sucker. Great swimming hole there!!!

Another place we swam all the time, was under the Bridge at Sucker River on the Ryan Road. In the summer, I lived in the water.

You were two years ahead of me, and I said in a previous post Bloomingdale went to 4 grades, when I was there. I always thought it was 3, but some of my classmates said 4, so I said 4. Glad to read someone else remembers only 3!! Whew! I know years back, it was four.

I remember having to eat in our room, as they didn't have a lunch room. I can't recall Mr. Ratkovich being janitor, but sure your right. Later years, Mr. Pavilich was janitor, as when we had to walk to Bloomingdale to catch the bus to CV, he was always there in the morning to greet us. Mrs. McKenzie, that name rings a bell, and I sure do remember Mrs. Madelin, but Mrs. Williams is unfamiliar to me. Yes to remembering the library and kitchen being all in one, if I am remembering right, the kitchen part was set up on the left had side as you went in the door. I know the girls bathroom was down to the left in the hall, and the boys was on the right...these were on either side of the kitchen/library. The first grade room, had a long closet, where we hung up our jackets. Think I remember them also being in the other two rooms. I remember the folding doors between the other two classrooms, that they opened up for programs. That was a fun school.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 750

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks LWM! So the Ryan road was called the Balsam road and went over the French above the dam? Wow! Whod a thunk?! Always wondered why that old bridge was there.

I was baptised in that little church.

Since LWM started the fishing stories I found an article in the March 1988 Landmark(provided by the same John Nylen) about the life of a fishing family. It well take 6 or 7 posts over the next few days.
fishing story 1
fishing story 2

(Message edited by torggy on February 18, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB(Dale)? Nice to read your posts also. You graduated with my aunt Laraine.
You mentioned about the Winters, and you said one name was missing Mickey...no it wasn't. Rodger is Mickey, that was his nickname.

Al Ness was Principal in 1960, but in 1961 he was not in the yearbook, so that is the year he must have moved on. Didn't he live in one of the houses by the school? Daughters name was Sandy. I know Mr. Johnson and family did, as I graduated with Mike.

Phil Laiti was a good basketball player, but he was a far better piano player!! Wow, could he play. I had such a crush on him!!!

I can't wait to see my uncle's yearbook, guess it is all tapped together now. So, yours was the first hardcover, neat!

My dad was a brakeman also, as were three of my brother in laws, and my uncle. My dad quit the railroad, just before Black Friday and moved to Minneapolis, and became a carpenter down there, until he retired. It was tough doing seasonal work only, money was pretty tight in the winter months.

You were talking of the watering holes, down along the shore area, years back, Two Harbors had more than its share, right Bassman?

bassman

Post Number: 717

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A very interesting story Torggy and will be looking forward to more...

Yes Blondie, T.H. had more than enough watering holes in town and plenty of customers...

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reference to Blondie's recent post, the two houses next to the school were occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, Harold and Mrs. Mostrom (the principal). The Ness family lived in Spruce Court on Greenwood. Sandy had an older sister named Sonja who passed away a couple of years ago.

You may not be aware, but one of the teacherages as they were called was the old school down in Palmers. It was moved up to that site when CV was opened. My dad and aunt went to that Palmers school. My aunt, who lives up in Eugene, Oregon tells of getting a ride from Knife River in Harold Alseth's horse drawn carriage. He would heat bricks and put them on the floor so the kids would be warm on their ride too and from school.

Mickey Winter was younger than Rodger, but older than Judy. I think he was the class of 56. Mickey had kind of blond-red hair as I recall.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 80

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, now that you say it, Rodger was older than Mickey, and I also remember Mickey as having blondish-red hair. In the yearbook, he has light hair for sure. Thanks for correcting me on this LWM.
Mostrom, yes that is right, they lived in the other house. In 55 he was Principal and taught Civics 9, and English 9...according to their yearbook, certainly not my memory!! I do remember him being Principal. How many years?

Gosh, I never knew that the Ryan Road was called Balsam, interesting. Also more interesting about the road going over the French River, where it did, didn't know that either. Sure my uncle does though.

Torrgy interesting story, look forward to reading more. They really had a tough life back then. I can remember my grandma putting heated bricks or rocks at the end of the bed in the winter.

Bassman, yes, grandkids are great, and we sure do have some great ones, very polite and well mannered, a joy to be around. They are growing up way too fast, and I really miss their younger ages.

When we went up to GM on Tuesday, the lake was basically iced over, all the way to Tofte, then in GM, spots of ice flows. Coming home yesterday, nothing but open water, and beautiful, sparkling like millions of diamonds. Interesting how the lake can change so fast. We pulled into Lutsen on our way back, as it has been years since we drove up to the ski area. Talk about people, it sure has gotten built up. Was really pretty up there, Picture pretty. They have more ski runs than the last time we saw it, which was quite a few years ago.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I need to clarify something I may have mislead you on. Only the section of road from the Old North Shore was called the Balsam. The Ryan Road started east of French River where the Old road goes straight and the Ryan veers up the Hill.

Harold Mostrom came to CV when I entered 4th grade, which I believe was 1951. I believe he left and went to Meadowlands in the summer of 1960. His son Bob lives on Stanley Road and is a UPS driver. I saw Harold sometime in the 80s. He was the Dean of Education at the College of St. Scholastica. I was there meeting with the Health Information Management Profs and his name came up. I went down to his office and he remembered me!!You recall that Darlene Nachtman was taken in by he and Betty.

Tell your uncle Howard Hello from Me. I see him at the Tank shop every summer.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 81

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks LWM for clarify, but still interesting to know, didn't know the lower part was called that, always thought the whole road was Ryan.

When you say the Stanley Road, are you talking the one outside of TH? He is the UPS Driver, well, he has delivered things here, just not long ago.
That is great that Mr. Mostrom remembered you. That name Darlene sounds familiar, but I can't put a face to the name. Also interesting to learn that he was dean at St. Scholastica.

You probably see my uncle Howard more than I do...I run into them in TH!!!! I am closer to my uncle Bob and aunt Delores. Although I do chat with my aunt Nancy(Howards wife) on the phone. Now what is the tank shop?

I am going back to the Winters. When we lived on the McQuade Road, just north of Lundgrens, right on the River, Sucker that is. Hirchs,(spelling) lived there, and then on top of the hill was the goat farm.(McQuade Road) Well, if my memory serves me right, Rodger(Roger) lived next door to us and was married to a Lundgren girl. My parents are both gone, otherwise I would ask them about this. Maybe someone out there knows.

There were three houses right by the river, and we lived in Ivan's at that time, then we moved right on the falls into what was Eva's house, and the falls were called Eva's.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the Balsam Road started at the Old North Shore and ran down to what is now the Scenic 61.

Back in the steam train days and even a bit later they loaded pulpwood between the Balsam and French, there was a sidetrack there. Also a pulp loading ramp east about three blocks of the Talmadge River. Boland Lumber also received lumber shipments there so it was very common for a boxcar or two to be sitting there.

People have mentioned Johnson's Drive-in also. Are you aware that it originally was next to the Curling Club on London Road? It was called "Frozen Custard". Hilbert had the building moved out to it's location I believe in the middle 50s.

Every year, the school would send everyone to the Shrine Circus at the Curling Club and the buses would wait for us at the drive in. It would have been located right where the building is that formerly housed PLaza Dodge.

Hilbert and Katherine's youngest son Steve graduated in 1964. Was a starter on the basketball team that year along with my brother Dan and Dennis Johnson.

In 1951 they tore up the scenic highway. It was a concrete road with runoffs. The two creeks which ran by Walter Johnson's and by Victor Sundstroms fishhouse had bridges the same as the one at French. Those were removed and replaced with culverts. That construction made it necessary for Walter to park his bus west of the one by Victor's fishhouse. This went on for quite awhile. The road was closed all the way to Knife River. This meant all the traffic was detoured onto the Old NOrth Shore Road. If you recall, the bridge over Talmadge was one lane as was the bridge over Schmidt's Creek. Imagine Greyhound buses and semis having to traverse that road!

Another piece of interesting information-the Sundstrom brothers arrived from Jakobstad, Finland very early in the 1900s. John was first, our Granddad Gustav Adolph arrived in 1905. We were able to obtain his immigration papers up at Ironworld. There was no road at that time. The only means of transportation was either the railroad or boat. They actually rowed out there with their personal belongings. We have a few pictures thanks to Ray Johnson's mother and dad. Ray has hung onto them and shared with everyone. Adolph's original log cabin set at the foot of the Mindestrom driveway, in fact, the road right now would have gone thru the living room! I got a lot of that information from Ida Sundstrom, Victor's wife.

The Sundstrom brothers were quite comical in those days as was John Gustafson, John Sundstroms fishing partner. My uncles, George, Martin, and Carl would dabble in fishing too as young men. In those days, set lines were allowed and they would put set lines out to earn a few dollars. Well, the oldtimers were up and out on the lake early in the morning before the boys would be out of bed and it was not uncommon for the boys to go out to pull their setlines and fine a weiner or two and a rutabaga scattered along the set line. My dad several times has mentioned John Gustafson sneaking over after my dad had planted his garden and sneaking in a few squash seeds into his cucumber patch. This went on a lot.

When I started CV in the 4th grade, our teacher was Mrs. Christianson. Other teachers I recall were Miss Stewart, Mr. Parker, Mr. Askelin, Mrs. Minter, Mr. Johnson, and Mr. Mostrom. We seemed to be a training ground for new teachers because there were numerous ones each year. Highlights I recall were the winter frolic including snow sculptering. The Janitor at that time was Mr. Anton Martinson (who was an expert on Abraham Lincoln). He was assisted by his sons Roy and Ralph. Mrs. Martinson was the cook and the kitchen was the southwest corner of the school, basement level. The lunchroom was across the hall. We also had our Friday afternoon movies (15 cents) in that room as well as Lyceum entertainment. Everything from Spangle, the counting pony to John Fritzen, the forest ranger and his wildlife movies. This was also the band room and was sort of a gym. Just imagine, grades 4 thru 12 in that small building! Lloyd Ratkovich had five in his class, all boys!! Of the 22 in our class of 1960, 12 of us started at Bloomingdale and graduated from CV. I get together with Dennis Olmstead every year in Sacramento. He is a CPA so he does my taxes and then we head to lunch. Olmsteads lived in Eli Ronnbeck's old house west of Pearson's store at first and then bought the Brula Farm on the McQuade Road.

By the way, I had forgotten this, JOhn Nylen also mentioned that Arcadia was built by the McCarthy family. Mathisen's didn't buy in there until sometime in the 60s. They owned Mathisen Tire Co.

More to come.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM....wow, you can remember all those teachers.
The only names I recall that you mentioned were Mr. Johnson and Mr. Mostrom. Your memories are so vivid, the movies, etc. I do remember seeing movies in school, but certainly not like you do.

I remember going to the Shrine Circus, many a time with school, that was fun. Also, when I got up into CV, I helped with the lower grades from Bloomingdale at the circus. It was a day out of classes, couldn't pass that up.

Your just a wealth of info!!

I called my uncle Howard, he was so happy to fill me on the Tank Shop, and about you and your brother Dan!! Then he had to talk about all his motors. My aunt Nancy got on the phone, and asked did I understand what he was talking about...actually yes I did, but I haven't heard that talk in years. As a kid I worked on engines with my dad, and listening to my uncles, so at one time I knew them inside and out.

Curt Nelson used to work for Mathisen Tire Company.
Question, everyone seems to remember the Arcadia as a religious retreat, even my uncle Bob. What do you know about this? Wonder if there are any pictures floating around somewhere of this place, that would be so interesting to see.

Like I told my uncle Howard, this forum is so interesting, learning so much from it.

I am just chuckling over your uncles, with their set lines, and finding not fish on them. I can just visulize this.

I have a picture somewhere of my first grade class at Bloomingdale, am still trying to find it. One day when I am not looking for it, there it will appear. I am curious myself, as to how many of us started and finished.

You were talking of the McQuade Road. At Cmas I went to church with our son and family in GM. After the service this guy came up to me, and introduced himself, his name was David Peterson, think he graduated in 53 or something like that, and he lived on the McQuade Road growing up. Guess he was a teacher up there, retired, but still lives up in GM. He said he had seen my picture in his sisters yearbook shortly before, so recognized me, naw, he did see my picture in the yearbook, but reality is, my son had filled him in, but I like to think he recognized me, that makes me feel better

I remember the Olmesteads on the McQuade...some redheads, or were all of them redheads?

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Jean was the first name of Rodger Winter's wife.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy, there was a Jean Abrahamson, which was Einar's daughter. I remember Jean was so pretty. Hey, I found her picture in the 55 yearbook, she was a Junior then. Hmm, wonder now if that is who Rodger married!

If it is, then it wasn't him that lived next door to us at that time, as I was only about 8.

I can see faces, but putting those faces to the right names, now that is not as easy.

The reason I said Lundgren, is I remember Bruce riding his bike over.

Gosh, I may just have to give my uncle Bob a call and try solve this mystery I have gotten myself into.

torggy

Post Number: 751

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

22 graduating in the Class of 60 was a big class for those days.

We moved to French River from TH in 63. I did 7 -12th at CV.The teacher I remember the most during the first couple years was the coach, Vern Elala(sp)

More of the fishing life on the North Shore:
fishing story 3
fishing story 4

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was interesting Torggy. I read the name Sam Johnson in there, my one grandma worked for many years for him, cleaning fish. Also there was mention of Fish Peddlers, there was a guy that peddled fish here in TH, as know he came to my inlaws house all the time.
Now I am wondering if Gert Osbakken(Anderson) is related to the Osbakken's in TH.
Again, I will say they had a tough life!!

Made a very quick trip to Duluth. When we left TH, the gas stations on the east end of town, the price was $2.27 a gal, but on the west end $2.35...guess what, all of them are $2.35 now. They lower it, then up it goes again! It has been going up steady every week.

The lake was iced in from Knife River to Duluth, and you should see the ice houses out there, and people skating even, down by Lester Park.

I dropped down by Palmers, and the restaurant is coming along good, the walls are up, and it is much bigger than the slab we saw before, which is good. You can see just a little of it from the freeway.

Torggy, over in Superior I happened to see an E-Bay consignment store. They said they will sell things for a person on E-bay. Didn't know anything like that existed even, but I thought of you, as that is where you find lots of things.

ima fishface
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Such great information! First grade. Mrs/Miss Anderson. Bloomingdale. I remember clearly the desks on rails and the wood tops that lifted and the ink well that I never knew what it was. Mrs. Saltau, the nurse, was the reason I passed first grade. Another story. At 5 years old, teacher thought I was too young as I could not follow directions. Since I was already reading books, Mrs. Saltau thought something else was wrong and stepped in and found I was deaf, due to German measles! Another traumatic experience, as I had to miss the trip to the zoo and the train ride. Oh well. Almost over it now. Anyway, after some surgery during Christmas vacation, ears good, hear too much, and went on to graduate from CV. Do you hear the voices too?

bud
Regular Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also on the Ryan just north of the tracks on the east side, and across form Dorothy and Rubins was a family named Stovers. I believe they had two children, a boy and a girl. Does anyone remember them? Mr Stover had an old WWII jeep that he used to plow his driveway.

Also Bloomingdale school did have a 4th grade. At least for a time. Mrs. Frink had a class made up of 1/2 3rd grade because the 3rd grade class was so big it was the spillover from Mrs. Madelins and 1/2 4th graders. Mrs. Brown had the 1st and 2nd graders. But there were only the 3 classrooms. The next year North Shore Elementary opened.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What year did you graduate Ima fishface? Miss Saltau was still the school nurse in 1960 yearbook, she was a great nurse! Then it was Miss Larson in the 61 year book.

Yes, I am hearing voices of the past!!

Bud, I was just wondering who lived across from the Bloomquists, as we drove by the freeway yesterday. I looked through posts, and didn't find any refrence to who lived in that house. I didn't know these people Stovers.

Did you know Dorothy doesn't live there anymore? Her son Rick moved her to Minneapolis. Quite a sticky situation from what I have heard. She lives in senior apartments and has her car. Guess she is doing okay, but misses it up here. My aunt(Delores) keeps me informed!

Question, who has that A-Frame house just east of Hazel's? Is that where the old Arcadia used to be, and then Mathieson built? I happened to take special note of it yesterday as we headed north, as you can see it so well from the freeway..north anyway.

Mrs. Frink and Mrs. Brown, I remember them, don't think they were my teachers though, but I helped them when I got up into high school on field trips for the kids to the circus. Mrs. Brown lost her only son Jim in a car accident down by the lake if I remember right?

Yes, some classes were rather big, and had to be split. I do know when I went to CV, several of the lower grades were combined, like part of 6th was in my 5th grade class. For the life of me, I still can't remember going beyond 3rd at Bloomingdale. Pictures certainly could prove otherwise, if anyone can find them. That would be neat to see.

dab
Rookie Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: How is your uncle Howard doing? Met him while working on RR. He is a nice guy. Your aunt Loraine was quiet and a very smart student. Last I herd she was living in FL. You said your father was a brakeman, I sure would like to know who he was if you care to share it. I was good friends with Dean Willow. He and I made a few visits to the three clubs. He was also a brakemen and was Yardmaster for awhile. Do you know him? Also was a friend of Roy Bustrom.
Nita Soltau was also our nurse, she had a nephew by the name of Gordy Soltau who played football for the U of MN. and then went on to play receiver for the 49ers.
My senior yr JJ and I were sent to do a project, so we took the old 37 ford of a friend. We finished the task and had decided to go to the culvert where we had 5-Rex beers and a half of a half pint of whiskey in cold water. JJ and I polished it all off and when we got back to school Mostrom wanted to talk to us. We managed to sit a way far enough so he could not smell it on us. HE Wanted us to head up a group to have a olympic day for the lower grade's. We breathed a sigh of relief after that.
Did you know that Lungren's had a tavern just north of there house It was on the other side of the road. I knew Bruce's older brother Warren.

torggy

Post Number: 752

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fishing story 5
fishing story 6

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 86

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi DAB, Howard is doing okay, he has a bad hip, and was told he needs a hip replacement, but he said as long as he can walk, and stand the pain, forget it. He is so busy going to auctions, he has no time for surgery.
Yes, Laraine is living in Florida, Boynton Beach.
Sure do know Dean Willow, he is my brother in law!! Also knew Roy Bustrom, think he died some years back.
I had to laugh at your little drinking thing. You guys were lucky he didn't smell the booze, as Whiskey certainly has an ordor.
What was this Olympics for the lower grades?

Oh my gosh, I forgot about that tavern of Lundgren's. Right across the road was the county garage, it was on the corner there.(then I believe they moved it down on the corner of the Lismore/McQuade) They had culverts there, and I remember Carol Swartz and myself going in there and smoking cigarette's...or trying. YUCK! Never did get the habit, thank goodness.

There used to be a good swimming hole farther up the McQuade, know we had to go down a steep embankment to get to it. Seems to me, there was a home up there also that belonged to Strands.

I know Swartz and the Grubbs lived off that road that went west from the old county garage, can't recall the name of the road now. I used to go over to Swartz alot.

Wow, do you know what year that was that Gordy Saltau played for the 49er's?

I am going to send you a personal message also.

Serene Chapman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM is your aunt in Eugene Oregon Ethyl Carlson, because if she is then she was my aunt too. Married to my dad's brother Roy. Their kids are Sharon, Alan and Ellie. Same person?

dab
Rookie Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: I think Gordy played in late 40's and early 50's not to sure maybe LWM can answer. Olympic day was a day of games for the lower grades mostly related to track events. We never tried to get served there even after high school they new all of us. Do you remember a tavern just below the lismore called the Brichwood Inn It burned when I was in the Army.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster
Username: bonnie_cameron

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are a hoot. I am enjoying this tremendously.

I knew Myrtle and Olaf Gunderson very well. They lived on the Alseth near Stony Point and Linda and I were good friends of their son, Olaf, Jr. He was a year behind me. Olaf and I sat in our yard - Olaf teaching me how to whistle with my fingers. Drove my parents nuts but this "skill" came in mighty handy at times.

So the Bloomingdale school must have closed in 1960 then. Is that right? (I'm still trying to put that all together.) I arrived at CV in 1961 and I recall someone telling me that grades K - 6 moved to the North Shore Elementary that year -and that was CV's first year to have 7-12. From what I'm reading it sounds like that's what is going on.

I knew Jim Brown very well. He was a good friend of Ed Nynas'.

I remember Vern Eiola very well, too, Torggy. He did not like the girls and boys (on basketball team) even talking to each other during lunch time when basketball season was going on. He'd walk over to where we were and "remind" the guys they were not to visit with the girls. It was embarrassing.

There was also Mary Murphy, Vern Nelson, Robert Scott, Karen Hill, Barbara Gazette, Mrs. Versteeg. Mr. Hill was our principal in 1961. I forget how many years but eventually Mr. Nash came along and took his place. Marlene Schumann's mom was our secretary the whole time. Nice lady. There was also Eugene Granger, Tom Gordon, Mr. Anderson (forgot his first name but he had gout in his shoulder that he shared with us all the time), and, of course, the very wonderful and special Bill Lindquist. Mrs. Nash was there when Mr. Nash was. She had hair down to her waist or longer. Niilo was my bus driver.

You guys are triggering all kinds of memories.

Both Linda and I worked at Johnson's Drive In for Hilbert and Katherine. All the kids hung out there. I remember when Denny Johnson had a car accident right in front of Johnson's on Highway 61. I saw it through the big picture window as I was bringing an order in to some people seated at the window table. Den had his blinker on to make a left turn into the parking lot and someone came along and hit him. They were way to close to the center line. Gosh, hadn't thought about that in a long time. Den had amnesia for awhile from that.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 87

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, no Bloomingdale closed in 1961.

Ms. Gazette, her and I did not get along at all!!! Robert Scott, he had those funny eyebrows. Mary Murphy, Eugene Granger and Mr. Harold Anderson, Vern Eilola all are familiar to me, and naturally Mr. Lindquist. Mrs. Schumann, such a nice secretary. How about Mr. Antonovich and Mrs. Bergman, Tom Trevillion. I know I have heard talk of Tom in past posts. Hill was principal when I graduated. Ms. McCall, Rocci Lucarelli, Mrs. Graham. David Beadle, Mr. Herb Johnson..these last few were gone by 1962

The name Denny Johnson sounds so familiar. Was he a tall skinny kid?

DAB, was Birchwood Inn on the corner, west side of McQuade and south side of Lismore Road? My dad would have been 81 today! Glad you remember him.

Cindy, Jeanne Abrahamson married Rodger Winter. My uncle couldn't remember for sure who lived next door to me as a kid, but we did remember the name Gerry Lundgren. I know there was a Warren also, that name came to me in talking.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time to answer some questions. Bud, I do remember the Browers across from Rueben and Dorothy.

Serene, the answer is yes. She's the same person.

Blondie and DAB, the Birchwood Inn was the corner of the Drexel and McQuade Roads. The road that Schwartz's lived on I believe was the Smith River Road. I think it turns down and runs into the Lismore.

Gordy Soltau played for the Niners in the 50s. He played for the Gophers in college I believe.

Mrs Schumann was also the Selective Service Rep for our area-in other words, we had to sign up for the draft with her. It worked!! I ended up in the Navy and over in SE Asia (Viet Nam area).Brother Dan and I were on the same ship, USS Hector, AR7.

Blondie, I remember Dave Peterson. He is the nephew of Dick Peterson, the bus driver. Jerry Jackson and I used to fish the French from the lake up to Peterson's house on the McQuade. His sister Margaret also lives up the shore, in Schroeder, I believe. DAB, you know Dave Peterson. He had a car named "Shasta". I think it was a 35 or 36 chev two door sedan.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Testing resizing photo of a shack from Stoney Point. This may be just to small for people to see. I just can't find the way to make the photos work for posting in a message. I took a drive out along the shore in and in the valley. I am trying to find a way to share the photos for those who no longer live in the area.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Max, that's Walfred Johnson's old fish house.

Thanks for the photo!

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Madd Maxx - My parents (and where I grew up) is just around the corner from Walfred's fish house.

If someone would tell me the how-to's in posting pictures that I have stored on my computer I have several I can share as well. Thank you so much.

No, I don't recall Den ever being thin, Blondie, but tall, yes. He may have been on the lean side, however. He was a basketball player for CV and he and his family lived on Greenwood Lane at the end of a small road. Oh, dear, can't remember the name of that road. LWM will know, tho. You cross over Greenwood Lane and that's there driveway and house. He has a brother Paul, Doe (Daryl), Tom and a sister, Gloria. He has an older sister,as well, but I don't believe she graduated from CV.

torggy

Post Number: 753

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I am going to go into information overload.

The picture posting thing takes some practise. first you have to put \ then the word image then { what ever you name the picture here then } so something like \image {XXXX} except without the space between image and the first {
because if I do it right here then you well not see it.

If you have done it right you well see the "your image here" when you hit the Preview/post button. If you see the "your picture here" then hit "post this message" it goes to a screen asking you to provide the picture. Hit the browse button, find the picture where ever you have stored it, click on it to chose it then hit the upload button.

Remember not to make the picture to big. It well only let you put in a picture that is 400x 500 pixels.

If all else fails read the instructions under formatting.

Or send me the picture and I well post it.

Max almost got it. He sent me the picture so I well repost it for him now.
stoney point shack

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 88

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, this is what I do to insert a picture, and it is so easy, never have a problem.
Click on Upload Attachment that you see below the Add your Message Here area. Another screen will come up.
You will see:
"Add Image or Attachment"...first I find the picture I want to insert....will come back to this.
You will see:
"then click the "Browse" button to choose a file to upload.(find where you have your picture stored, I keep mine in My Documents)...click on Open.
You will be taken back to the screen, and you will see something like C/documents, etc written next to the word "Browse".
Now, I go back to Add Image or attachment box, and type a description for your attachment...(like the name of the file or picture)
FINALLY, click on "UPLOAD' to add your attachment, another screen will come up when it is done, click on close.
If your picture is bigger than 400X500 like you said, you will get an error message.
I click Preview button, and wait for the picture to appear on the screen and then click Post, that is it.

BE SURE YOUR SIGNED IN...I have a habit of not signing in!! Basically this is the same as what you said.

LWM, Smith Road sounds familiar, and it goes up to the Pioneer Road also. We have a book on counties in MN, and I looked it up, as was sure it went north also. It didn't say a name, just county road number. If I remember right, Grubbs lived right on the corner of that road. Know Swartz lived on one side.
I thought Dave Peterson was related to the bus driver. Vaguely I remember where he lived on the McQuade.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 89

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI on the news this morning a house burned down at 6549 McQuade Road. Upon looking on MapQuest, it looks to be above the Pioneer Road. Everyone escaped, but the house was a total lose. I imagine they were burning wood, as seems most fires around our area are due to that.

Yesterday the Duluth New Tribune had a big article about people skating down by Lester on the River. On the website they had lots of neat pictures. I did send the site to some, but it seems they couldn't pull up the pictures.

torggy

Post Number: 754

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for showing a second way to post pictures.

Last of the fishing life story
fishing story 7

Since this thread is labeled "New Resturant" it only seems right to post a picture of the progress. Provided by Mad Max;
new resturant

I think this is the site that has the pictures Blondie is talking about. If not they are still good pictures.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/photography/includes/gallery.cfm?id=105

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 90

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy that is a great story about Gert, and the end answered my question, she is related via marriage to the Osbakkens of TH. I think John Nylen provided the article , if I remember right, thanks! Great reading.

On the south side of the building of the restaurant, there are windows, and on the back is an addition like. Max will have to take more pictures of it, as it comes along to put in here, for everyone to see. Thanks Mad Max.

Yes, torggy, that is the site I was talking about, beautiful pictures. I am going to try send that link alone to my friend down in SC, as she could not open it via the article.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bergquist Road (Bomark) to Lake view OK - this is my second try at this. Let's see what happens.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The above picture is the lake view from the Bergquist Road right near the Bomark Missle Squadron.

Now you're all in for it because I have LOTS of pictures to entertain you with from my last trip back to Minn which was February of 2006.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 91

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CONGRATULATIONS Bonnie, glad it worked for you.
I love that view, would love to have a home with a view of the lake, but only in my dreams.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rough Lake in front of my parents house

This is right in front of my parents house. Gorgeous, isn't it.....Again, this is before the big snowstorm they had in Feb of last year. Sometimes it was so cold that I had to take pictures through the car window. But you all know about the cold back there....

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Johnson's Fish House

And one more before I go back to work! This is the one I have of Johnson's Fish House.

Vern
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was the Cuyper pig farm that burned down this
morning.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, that one of the fish house, looks like a painting.
I hear you on taking pictures from the vehicle window, because it has been too cold!!
Nice pictures

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 93

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vern, actually that was my first thought, was their place.
I had just posted, and there was your message above mine.

bud
Regular Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, The pictures are great. Keep them coming. Just looked at some recent pictures of Lake Superior with some ice Houses off the shore and people ice skating out on the lake. Not that often that we were able to do that.

LWM, Regarding the Browers, did they have any kids that went to CV? I asked my sisters and they don't remember if they did.

Used to listen to some of the stories of the logging days people would tell. And one was that during the winter they used to lay RR tracks across the swamps and lakes and would have RR engines pull loads of wood out as long as the ice was good. Does anyone have any pictures of this? I have seen many pictures of horse drawn loads that were enormous, but nothing showing a train on the ice. Maybe it's a BIG story. There are pictures of trains unloading wood at Knife River,and Grand Marais. Would like to see some posted if anyone has some they are willing to share.

torggy

Post Number: 755

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll look for some logging on ice pictures.

Hard to imagine Knife River ever looking like this:
knife river logging

torggy

Post Number: 756

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None on ice yet but how about a steam engine with crawler type tracks on the back and skis on the front?
logging train on snow

torggy

Post Number: 757

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check this one out. The guy sitting on the front is actually steering the thing. It was owned by the Skibo Timber company.
logging train

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, I do not recall Browers having any kids our age. Maybe there were some grown ones, however, I don't recall any.

Regarding the conversation about the old Alger Smith RR, one of the tracks went up from the old dump in from the town hall. I used to partridge hunt that road. I remember Kenny Beck talking about that old grade and picking up railroad spikes along it. There were railroad spurs all over behind that area according to what I've read.

I have an old soft cover book which looks like a magazine titled "Historic Sites and Place Names of Minnesota's North Shore. There are several photos of the Knife River operation. The book was written by John Fritzen, the Forest Ranger who came to CV and showed movies of wildlife. It was published by the St. Louis County Historical Society in August, 1974. Designed and printed by Stewart-Taylor Co. Other photos include the ore boat Crescent City aground near Lakewood after the storm of 1905. A picture of a shinglemill operated by water power on the French. If it's the one I'm thinking of it would have been between the Johnson Farm and the Peterson Farm. We used to fish in that old mill pond. There is also a picture of the steamer Rosedale aground at Knife Island on July 6, 1893. And the answer is no, I can't remember that one!!! Also a great picture of the Gustafson/Sundstrom fishing operation. Net reels with nets drying on them and very few trees.

I don't know whether the book is still available. I would check with the Historical Society. A bit of interesting history, Schmidt or Smith Creek was named after Henry Smith or Schmidt, one of three Germans who took up claim in 1856. When the first Post Office was established at French River that year, Smith became the postmaster. The Lesure Lumber Company headquarted near there and had an elaborate sleigh road from their camps in Normanna Township to the lakeshore. Some of their logs were shipped by railroad, and some were rafted from a landing near the mouth of the French River to a sawmill in West Duluth. The company operated there from the late 1890s to 1905.

Bud, what year was it you visited my wife and I in San Francisco?

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjalmer had just a small break wall for his little harbor when I first remember being near his place in the late 60ies. He had a old car engine that ran his dredge at the top of the hill. He had welded 3 car frames end to end. The car frames was used to change the angle of his dredging of the harbor. He would start that old engine to keep the depth of his harbor. He piled his dredging near the hill side of his harbor. He started to frame in the top of his break wall. He needed to raise the wall so the big storms wouldn't keep piling rock and and sand into his harbor.

Being a young kid, I just walked up and started to watch him. He had his cement mixer by the break wall and he started mixing concrete for the next level of the break wall. I watched him mixed the portland cement with gravel that was his dredging. He always had a 12 pack of Red White and Blue beer there cooling in the water. He would mix and pour the concrete, sometimes until the late hours of the night. After watching for some time. Hjalmer let me start mix the mud. He had me shovel in four shovels of gravel and 2 shovels of portland. Add some lake water and look for that smooth mix needed. I did't always help him but when I had the time I would give him a hand. I know Hjalmer did work for Siverson repairing the boats and I am not sure what else he did.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bonnie that first photo you posted. What that Bergquist road hill?

torggy

Post Number: 758

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the heads up on that book Warr...oops LWM. Amazon had three, they got 2 now.

Max, that is a great story. I always saw his place down there but never thought to visit like that. To bad it has been burned and trashed now. Maybe on your next excursion you could stop and take a couple pictures of what is left. Max, just where did you live?

Max sent this picture of another old fishing shack on Stoney point just east of the other one.
fishing shack b

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 94

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some really interesting pictures and reading here. Look at the size of some of those logs!!

It is so hard to imagine Knife River being anything other than what it is, but then again, the whole area has changed with times. Can you imagine, 15 train loads of logs arrived in Knife River each day!!!

In "roots in the past", it has a map that shows all the Logging Railroads (spur lines) between 1898-1941, that Duane Madison drew. I find that interesting.

Portions of the present day Rossinni Road were built along sections of rail line. It states also, that in Section 35 township 53N, Range 13W, an area now along the Fox Farm Road, a state record 33 million board feet of logs were harvested. No other single section of land throughout the entire state of Minnesota produced more lumber than this section, right on the northern edge of our community. Trying to find a date here, but don't see one, but this was the Brooks Scanlon line, and sounds like it must have been in early 1900's.

My uncle Richard was an avid outdoorsman, and he used to talk about finding old railroad grades all over the area, and also finding some "history" from the logging days.

torggy

Post Number: 759

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used to have a hunting shack 20 miles up Hwy.2 from TH. There was an old logging bunk house and remains of an old stable. The tote roads went on for miles back into the woods. You could still see the depressons from the runners of the sleds they used. Made for a great way to get to the deer stand.

Here is another from Knife River. The boat is the Lackawanna at the Duluth & Northern Minnesota RR dock. Taken in 1915.
log loading

torggy

Post Number: 760

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After reading Blondie's post I found this picture. A quick look at the map shows that the headwaters of the Sucker are just along the Fox Farm.
sucker rivers forest

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a book "Early Loggers in Minnesota-Vol II and I found a couple pictures.
logging Indian Lake
Load of logs above was photograhped on Oliver Mining Co. operations at Indian Lake near Brimson

logging camp white face
1923 logging camp on Whiteface River, logs in the foreground are on the ice of the river.

I am skimming through this book, trying to find some refrence to Bud's post about what he heard of them putting tracks over the frozen swamps, but haven't come across anything yet, not that it didn't happen.

Yes Torggy, the Sucker comes out or the headwaters are up by Paradise lake and Hart Lake, and also Brohpy Creek runs into it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 96

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

found a couple more pictures of knife river
knife river 1915
crossing trestle

Quote from Two Harbors 100 years book.
"Logging on the North Shore had differed somewhat from logging in the rest of Minnesota and in the states to the east. In other areas, rivers were generally more navigable and thus better suited for log drivers. North Shore rivers were sometimes used as waterways with the aid of dams and sluiceways, but they were not conducive to log driving. Log ends often split on the rocks and is reported that one log jam blocked the Stewart River for three years before it was cleared. In Northeastern Minnesota, railroads provided a better means of access to large stands of pine far inland from Lake Superior.
Whatever means, were used to get the logs out of the woods, the methods of logging remained the same of most of those early years. Men and horses and sometimes oxen, were the backbone of the logging industry"

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is good stuff. Thanks to the internet we can share information. Thanks, Torggy, Blondie, Bonnie and all.

The other house you have pictured by Walfred's fishhouse I believe is his net house.

MaddMax, you should have seen Hjalmers place in the 40s and 50s. It was like a park down there. Joe Redlock was a live in caretaker and took care of Louie when he was ill. He kept the grounds up. Was a good woodcarver and also built miniature homes. MacLeans had a replica of their home in their front yard for many years. Hjalmer's fishing tug was the "Rosebud". He also had a speedboat in a boat house on the beach toward the hatchery. I saw it a couple of times out on the lake. It looked like a Criscraft. Lots of varnished wood and really looked nice in the water. Don't know what happened to it but Judy Stromgren Ostern or Don Alseth might know (His niece and nephew).

I recall as a youngster the oldtimers referring to Mr. Redlock as "Slingshot Joe". I heard it was because he always carried a slingshot in his back pocket? He actually lived before that in a house which was behind Seckingers on the McQuade Road. Walked by it a few times while Partridge hunting. Not sure when Mattson's hired him, he was there as far back as I can remember.

Hjalmer also had a HenryJ that he made into a swamp buggy. It was an 8 wheel drive. I think he kept it in his shop above the highway next to Clarence and his sister Julia. He had a smelting barge also that had a big scoop on it. He also maintained Sivertson Brothers boats on Isle Royale for many years.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I agree, thanks to the internet!

I do remember Hjalmers place very well, could see it from the highway when we drove by. I certainly do remember that replica of MacLeans house in their front yard, never knew who did it though, interesting. I'll be darned, Don Alseth is a nephew to Hjalmer, if I am understanding this right, if not correct me. Him and Betty used to live just two blocks up from us, and one time when we were down in Springfield, Ill on a trip at Abe Lincoln's home, they were there also.
They moved out to his parents home there on the Old North Shore road some years back now.

You still amaze me LWM, you seem to remember so much and can share so much with us.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Madd Maxx - Yes, it is the Bergquist Road right by the Bomark Missle Squadon.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 98

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just couldn't resist putting in a couple more pictures here
knife river

hotel knife river

Knife river was settled because of the belief of copper in the area. There is an old shaft by the Lutheran church that was dug in 1910, it went down 80ft. In its prime, it had three hotels, four stores and boarding houses, and NINE saloons!!! At one time Knife River supported its own school district.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have looked at several places for the book Roots of the Past. I have not yet found it. As for the logging photos. Which book had the maps of the old logging spurs? That sounds like another interesting book. Back about 7 years ago hunting north of the Hegberg road with my son. I was showing my son the old railroad lines in the woods. I slipped on the ground and snow. I happen to kick out a old glass bottle. My son picked it up. I dated this bottle from the way the bottle was made. The bottle style was made from the late 1800's to 1920. It needed a cork to seal the top. It is an old medicine. I could just picture a logger from way back then with some type of illness needing to drink his cure all in the bottle. I have alot of time running around the woods out in the township looking for grouse and deer.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx, I have a copy of the original order form and it was to be mailed to:Rich Sill, 2152 Mace Farm Road, Duluth, 55804. At that time they were $20 plus $2 shipping and handling. I would suggest contacting Mr. Sill. I believe he still lives there. Corner Cupboard had copies at one time too. You might check there. The book title is "Roots in the Past-Seeds for the future". There was also a "Roots and Seeds-The Video and that could be ordered from Leo Babeu, 7100 Mikkenen Road, Two Harbors, Mn 55616. Hope that helps.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 99

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx, the map of the old logging spurs was in Roots of the Past.
My husband says, that there is a locomotive buried back there in the swamps, where he is not sure. He also knows of the old railroad lines you were talking about, he has seen them and others.
I know in previous posts, quite some time ago, my son posted about hunting on the Hegberg for years.
My uncle Richard owned some land on the south side, and they used to go up there, stay in my dad's camper. When Richard died, David(Dumpy) Laiti got it.(bought it) We had a chance, but passed on it. My son did go up there with Dumpy's permission to hunt after that with grandpa(my dad). Son was up there hunting this deer season for one day(on the Hegberg, and stopped in too visit Grovers). He has lots of good memories up that area.
I am baffled though as to who you are.

Maybe Torggy could scan the picture of the railroad lines(spurs) and send it to you via e-mail, as that way it would be a bigger size to view. I know he has the book also. One can do it and put it on here, but afraid it wouldn't do justice.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 100

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know there was a video out, interesting.
Again, as I was doing the previous post, another was put in.
I know Bonnie was hoping to get a book also, wonder if she did?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I know Helen Hendrickson had some copies of the video. If she doesn't, she probably would know who did.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx - I just ordered a the book you are referring to from the North Shore Community School. Barb Jackson is sending it to me and it's costing me $18.00. If you are in the area, of course, you can go to the school and purchase one. I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, I love those pictures of the lake, I don't know any of you but I'm sure getting a history lesson on the area here...carry on

torggy

Post Number: 761

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max, let me know if you want a copy of that railroad map. I can email you one.

I have bigger pictures of almost everything I have posted here on the web site. If anyone wants one just let me know.

I remember going into Hjalmers shop up on the hill several times. Fasinating place. There was a huge pile of parts in one corner with an entire v-8 engine and transmission sitting on top. In the middle of the room was a chassis with two rear axles and a driven front axle. The motor and tranny had been installed, but no body on it yet He said he was going to use it to plow snow. Never actually saw the thing out and about though.

His place by the lake was beautiful in its prime. Wonder if anyone has any pictures?

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two Harbors Bay
This is the Two Harbors Bay in February 2005. It was 20 below this day. Bay was icy slush.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lake scenes

This is taken from Hwy 61 onto Stoney Point Road. Do any of you remember the stone wall at the end of this view? It's falling apart now but still a beautiful area.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, another lake view on Stoney Point. This was taken from inside the vehicle because it was too cold on my face to get out.
....Lake scenes

(Message edited by bonnie_cameron on February 23, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Usually I get notification when a new post is posted, but didn't today. I thought I would just check it out, and see Bonnie put in some pictures.
Oh yes, I sure do remember that wall in that overlook/parking area. We just drove by it recently. Too bad it is falling apart.
The Bay was all iced in yesterday, but don't know what it looks like today.

With the winds howling today, bet the lake looks just like the picture!!

I have some pictures I took from the new overlook at Silver Cliff I should find them and scan them and put some in here. Beautiful view up there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found my pictures, and scanned them, naturally much smaller than I wanted to fit here. Probably won't put all in today, leave some for tomorrow.
first one is the north east entrance of Silver Cliff Tunnel, I am standing on the bridge which is part of the trail

tunnel 1

close up of the tunnel, note the size of the truck!
tunnel 2

Close up of the sign to the walking trail around Silver Cliff..

gitchi gami trail

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy please email mail me the map. So where is this railroad engine located? What part of the township? Has any one ever seen it? Makes for a good story.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been through the tunnel on the way to Canada a few years ago. Such a beautiful trip.

Thank you, Blondie.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 104

Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, have you ever walked the trail though around the cliff, now that is beautiful!

Yes, Maxx, your right on both accounts to my son. Like you say it is a real small world, and getting smaller everyday!

(Message edited by Blondie on February 23, 2007)

(Message edited by Blondie on February 23, 2007)

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just looking back over the old post. Torggy is there some way to date the closed threads? I was looking back to reference to use in a post. With all the posting this could be helpful to any new here on the page.

Blondie you mention that you son posted a while back that he used to hunt the Hegberg. So I am guessing that he is Tengauge/Mother? He lives in Grand Marsis? I may had cross his path last hunting season out on the Hegberg. Just goes to show how small the world is. I did talk to Norma Linquist about a week ago and told her of your earlier post. She said she haven't had the time to be on the page but she is going to try to get back on soon.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 105

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, guess we had some strong winds during the night, as my stone bird bath got blown over. Know it is windy out there now.
Before when I was on, a Severe Weather Alert came on my screen for Lake/Cook County, so wonder if we will get anything out of it. Only got a dusting of snow over night.

Maxx, are you GB?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here are some more pixs at Silver Cliff
trail along the cliff
The sign says Steep Grade.
looking toward TH
In the bay area of this one, were two motels, I worked at one for a year. Now there are Condo's being built there. Look at the simple posts they had...the edge is mighty close!!
silver creek cliff sign
This is the sign at the west end of the trail. If you start at this end, you do have a steep incline to walk up.
Now try to imagine, looking at these pictures, that cars and big trucks actually traveled on here. It isn't all that wide!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 762

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max sent me this picture of that old boat on Stoney Point. Thanks Max!
old boat

He sent some other pics I well post in the next couple days.

We got 6 inches of heavy wet yucky snow here yesterday. Lots more in the mountians. Skiers love it.

bassman

Post Number: 718

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Before when I was on, a Severe Weather Alert came on my screen for Lake/Cook County, so wonder if we will get anything out of it. Only got a dusting of snow over night."

I read this AM that there is a storm headed towards MN that should drop 16" of new snow by Sunday....

And thanks for the Silver Creek Cliff pics Blondie...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 107

Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think my bird bath was blown over, upon seeing some other things pushed over downtown today, I think this was a prank.

Bassman, don't you miss the snow!!! NOT??? It is nasty out there now, the snow is building up pretty fast. All I can say, is glad I don't have to go to work in the morning. One too many times it was walking, crawling to my job, and I do mean crawling, as you couldn't walk.

We had supper with Bud & Marge last night up to Dixie Saloon, and also their son Danny, and some others. Fun time! Love the food up there. The place is for sale, and wonder if and who will buy it.

I am going to put in the last two pictures from Silver Cliff, the views are breath taking, and pictures, just don't do justice.
view of lake looking up shore

view of lake closer

Like I say Breathtaking views. In first picture, you can see the top of an evergreen tree, I looked, and it came from way down the cliff. The second one same view, but showing a closer view.

Brita
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy- Thanks for posting the article of our grandma, Gert Anderson-Osbakken. She was a pretty incredible lady. I thought it was appropriate that you included a pic of our restaurant along with the article. We'll be using old photos of the area to decorate, so if anyone has any they'd like to let us copy....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 108

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a full force Blizzard going on, a typical nor easter. It has been raging all night long. I woke up at quarter to 5, looked outside, and it was terrible, could hardly see the street lights even. Crawled back in bed, and wasn't any better when I got up two hours later.
Can't even see out of most of our windows, as snow has collected between the windows and screen.

torggy

Post Number: 765

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to see you guys got some snow. You need it.

Found this article in the May 1988 Landmark:
ken hendrickson 1
ken hendrickson 2

torggy

Post Number: 766

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max sent this picture of the Schmidt Creek bridge on the Old North Shore Road. Thanks Max!
old north shore road bridge
If I remember right there was a huge party place on the Old North Shore Road sometime in the 70's. Some kids had built a rough building in the woods and it was PARTY! Anyone remember that?

Brita, I am glad you liked it. I saw the mention of the twins in the first post of the thread and thought it would fit well. Good luck with the new resturant.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that boat well, Maxx. And, Blondie, I've never walked the trail but looks and sounds like one I'd really enjoy. I do a lot of walking out here.

We've had a lot of rain, rain, rain but it's more of a spring rain where the sun shines periodically and the birds sing. Love it! I've been watching the news about your snow storm. Looks like the whole state was affected.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 109

Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this bridge still there? Did vehicles travel on this?
Wow, Torggy that was a nice size picture, how did you do that?

Anyone want some snow free, we are willing to give it away now??? Some places in our yard, it is a couple feet deep, some places hardly any, and some places big drifts. Enough now I say!!! it is still snowing and blowing.

Vern
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the shack in the woods went to one party there the night they burned it down and the cops showed up. Spring of 74.

torggy

Post Number: 767

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would fit the time frame Vern. The cops had to have been there more than once. If not than the CV kids are to best!!!

Blondie, yes, Max just took the picture of the bridge last week. And the site well let you post pictures 400x500. I try to be under that.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shack was discovered during a fly over. The size had grown and was visible from the air. I believe the wood bunner inside was forge in the shop at CV High. I don't know who started the building the shack but it was a group effort. The shack was between the old north shore road and the express way on the east side of Schmitt Creek. There was an old road way that would had served the Wonderland resort and the other resort that was to the east of the Wonderland. I don't remember the name. Rubergs bought the old resort and put up the home there. Before moving in. There was a fire and Vern was burn from the fire that was started by a gas leak. Rumor has it the sound of the blast could be heard up at Stoney Point. The house was blown 3 feet off the foundation. They had to move it back on the basement.

I don't remember the year the bridge was closed. The angle iron guard rails wouldn't with stand a hit from a car. It was very narrow. I am sure only one vehicle at a time could cross. At one time this was the road that headed north up to the shore. I believe there was another one of these roads that would had been by the old Shorecrest. I am sure there were many more.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 110

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torrgy, your picture is 490X375 pixels.(I right clicked on your picture, and hit properties and it shows the size) I always get an error message if it is even just a little over 400, even if it is under 500 the other way.

So Maxx that bridge is still there? Yes, it looked rather narrow, so that is why I wondered if vehicles actually used it or it was just a walking bridge. Years ago, they didn't make bridges very wide, as vehicles were narrow back then, or horse and buggy travel. I haven't been on the old north shore road in the area for umpteen years. Just the east part of Homestead to Knife River. Oh, and I did go on it past Karl Norman's over to the new Amish furniture store, that part was pretty rough.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received my CV book yesterday from Barbie. Max, you can get it at the North Shore Elementary for $18.00. It's a great book. I'm enjoying it already. It's a great price for a book so big.

I have the same experience, Blondie, with posting pictures. How'd you do that, Torggy, or is each computer different?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old road east of Schmidt's Creek was the Nordling Road. It came thru the Nordling farm and down to the highway and yes, there was another that went down to the Shorecrest.

Both the Schmidt's Creek bridge and the Talmadge bridge on the Old North Shore Road were one lane. We went over both in the school bus every day.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 111

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nordling, now that name I remember. Please refresh me on where the Nordling Farm was.
I know as a kid, we used to drive all over the place, took every road we could. My dad loved to drive around and explore everywhere.

torggy

Post Number: 768

Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry you guys are having trouble. The max size picture the board well let you post is 500 wide and 400 high. Anything larger than that in either direction well cause the picture to be rejected because of size.

Wow, Nordling road went all the way through to the Old North Shore? I suppose it would have to before the New Highway went in. Learn something new everyday. Nordling road as I know it is a mile or so up the shore from the French. Sundstroms lived there. I went to school with Cathy. Also very good friends of my parents Elmer and Lela Youngquist lived there.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With this weeks snow, it has covered everything up pretty well. Now we have another snow storm heading our way. I was hoping to go out and shoot some more photos. I will have to wait for a melt before trying to take some photos of Hjalmer's place. I have some other thoughts of taking some other photos and open to any suggestions from those who no longer live up in the area. This thread will be closed by Torggy. He will have the las word.

torggy

Post Number: 770

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the effort in keeping all us misplaced CV'ers updated on the old homeland. We look forward to any pictures you might send us.

And you are right. This thread has hit the limit and it is time to close it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration