Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * This and that < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 112

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I decided to start a new thread here, and am going to start by putting in some ads that were in annuals.
dons 66 service

cv store ad
these were out of the 1960 annual

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster
Username: bonnie_cameron

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, of course, the Don's Phillip 66 is the station my Dad owned in Two Harbors. It's now a tourist store with t-shirts and local items - near Paul Bergman's "Vanilla Bean."

Nordling Road - I knew a George Nordling who when to school in Duluth but I think the kids did from that side of McQuade. Do I have the right area?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 113

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

more from 1960

carl anderson store ad

french river store ad

hatfield store ad

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie I put that in special for you!

There is a big ad in the 60 year book for Black Diamond Fur Farm, is that the one on highway 61 past blue bird landing and before the river? I know there was a nice house in there, and it was mink farm when I was growing up.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the mink ranch but never knew the name of it. Really beautiful lawns, etc.

How is Susan Hatfield related to the owner of Hatfield store? Susan graduated in 1966, I believe, with Tina Udenberg.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 769

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those old ads are really cool. They look so hookey now.

I visited the mink farm on 61 several times. There were hundreds of mink in cages and the smell, whew. But it was a nice house with beautiful grounds. The guy that owned the place had a great way of mowing the steep bank by the road. He tied a rope to the lawn mower and would pull the mower up and down the hill.
Thought you might like this ad Bonnie:
dons service

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 115

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy that is a neat ad, where did you find that? Look at the phone # 117, how simple that was. Not many stations like that around anymore, but will say Amoco BP still does a business pretty much like this.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great, Torggy. So much fun to see. It must be waaaaaaaaaaaaay before my time because I do not remember the phone number. This would be fun for Dad to see. Many thanks.

torggy

Post Number: 771

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The phone company in TH and most of the Iron Range in the 50's was part of the DM&IR. I have a 1958 phone book provided by the railroad. That ad was in the yellow pages.

It has instructions on how to use a party line and a dial phone. Fun stuff.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the mink farm. The newer owners in the 80's had trailers up there and rented them out. The mink farm was gone then. I remember snowmobiling where there were old railroad tracks in the woods. This was down the Hegberg Rd. on the school side. It was in the woods at the very end of the road. Carl Scmidt used to live down that way. He had no electricity or plumbing. That was is the 60's.

bonnie_cameron
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The party lines were a hoot. I can still remember our phone number in Seggog 916-R. Anyway, it was darn hard to get a line out sometimes on Stoney Point with all the people on our line. Funny....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been years, and I do mean years since I have been down the other end of the Hegberg Road. I remember now, making a school field trip down the end of that road, back into the woods. Actually there is some refrence to that in my annual, a friend wrote in it.

This kid(guy) worked with me back in the early 80's, and he lived down that road on the right hand side, his mother was a nurse I think. Anyway, I was working the afternoon shift (overtime) and we had a blizzard, he couldn't get home, so he walked home with me, and spent the night at our house. Gosh wish I could remember his name. But you brought back those memories Cindy.

Maxx, did you see that, old railroad tracks in the woods?!!! I think when the snow is gone, we know where Maxx will be, out searching. It looks like Alger Smith R.R. had lots of spurs in that area.(CV) and Hegberg.

Torggy if there is anything else you can scan out of the phone book and put on here, please do, love to see it.

Bonnie on page 135 in the book, it talks of Nordling. In there it mentions (the movie "The Emigrants" or read the book)....They meant their trip to America and settling in Mn was like the movie I guess. Well, my father in law was friends with the author of those books back in Sweden, and over in Sweden in his(not my father in laws) museum, is a picture of my father in law and Vilehelm Moberg the author. Good reading, if anyone gets a chance, about life in Minneosta, tough life. I think there are four books. But I still don't know where they lived, Nordlings that is.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 117

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You talk of party lines, guess who was on our party line in French River...Frinks!! Yes, Mrs. Frink the teacher. I can't remember who else, but I certainly do remember Franny Frink on there! Heeeee, learned alot listening!!!

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have walked down a few of the railroad spurs north of the Hegberg. I have done my fair share of grouse hunting. I also know where is there is the remains of an old log building. I have also hunted north of the old dump, the Fox Farm road and many other areas.

The Dump!

I remember one time riding my bike to the old dump looking for old playboys. The things we did in our YOUTH. The dam bears came out of the woods looking for eats and decided to run us off. I had to pedal my butt off down the hill and up the other side. I stop and the bruins didn't follow. But I did save a my find to show off to my buddies.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 118

Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, where is the old dump, can't remember?
Yes, just think what a person did in their youth, but their kids better not try it or grandkids!!!

We used to go up to the TH dump at night and watch the bears feed. Bears, boy we have many bear stories, from our camping days!!

Oh, I am sure you have done plenty of exploring, but with that map, you can do more searching. Sounds like you and my uncle hit a lot of the same places.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember there was the dump on the road by the town hall. I think it's the Shelhon Rd. I know the James lived down that road too. It used to be fun to go there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy that is where I was thinking the old dump was, but wasn't sure. Yes, Dick James and his mother. Dick was my uncle's good friend. They had a cabin together up the Rossini. He was a big guy, smiled all the time, and had a hardy laugh. They were related to the Oberg's.

Well, #2 blizzard is raging out there.

torggy

Post Number: 772

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the end of the dump road was a wandering trail abut a mile long that took you to a small rock bluff filled with pine trees right along the Knife River. It was a beautiful camp site. Right out of a Hamms beer commerical. We used to go there 2-3 times a summer.

We also used to go to the Knife River dump at night to hunt rats. It was great fun. Boy, what we used to do for fun, eh?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 120

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put a post in, but it didn't go in.
I found some old pictures of the Richard Abrahamson family, so thought I would put them in.
Richard Abrahamson, wife and two children
Richard, Hilda, Roy and Signe Abrahamson, date?

abrahamson family
This is their home up on the top of the hill.

It is so bad outside, we can hardly see the house across the street. Our thoughts, how did they do it years ago, have to go out to the barn, what of kids if they went to school and a storm started up.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bus rides home from school was an interesting trip during snow storms. George Cook who drove the northern most route, had a difficult drive in the storms. I heard that some times the Pequam Lake(spelling) kids would have stay with the Cook family. Those stories would interesting to hear. Students from Normana would know a few stories I bet.

I am looking forward to another day of work tomorrow. The drive will be fun early in the morning. I like watching the storm out my window.

boon
Rookie Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I know, Blondie, that you are referring to the old, old days but I can remember back in 1958 (or somewhere around there) when I lived in Segogg and went to John A. Johnson in TH. There was a heck of a blizzard going on and my mom met me at the bus stop and she brought gloves and a scarf for my neck and face and walked me home. We could hardly see the road........I'm sure others have stories of when they were little.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Boon, I was referring to old days. Horse and buggy days. I have heard tales of people having a long rope between the house and barn, so they could find their way between the two. Also heard tales of kids having to walk in storms, and tying ropes between.

I am sure it was a rough ride for those kids that lived up in the Pequaym area in the winter storms. Communications weren't so good back then, nothing between the bus drive and schools, like now, no cell phones.

Maxx, did you say work tomorrow?!!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 719

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know about the rope thing, but I remember one winter in 1941 when I was in 3rd grade at the Minnehaha School and my Dad came to get my sister and me on snowshoes. The snow was so high that you couldn't open the front door in the school, so the teachers handed us out the first floor window to our parents....

Got pretty cold here in So. CA today also. I think it only got up to 58 degrees this afternoon...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 122

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Bassman, we can't even get out of our second floor door. The snow has it blocked, and snow is covering the lower half of the window in that room also, from roof below.
The people across the street can't get out their front door at all.

Winds have died down, and I honestly don't know how my husband is going to get to the garage, to get at the snowblower even, as the snow in the back yard is mighty high. We can get out the front door, but back door is blocked.

Then, in Grand Marais, they only got 2 inches of snow, and the sun is out this morning. Go figure.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 123

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/photography/includes/gallery.cfm?id=112#
check out these pictures people sent in.

boon
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These are awesome, Blondie.

Bassman, it's been cold in northern CA as well but today is sunny (no more rain for awhile, I guess)and very spring-like.

torggy

Post Number: 775

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, in 1958 I was in the second grade at John A. Seems we both made the same school changes.

Sounds like a big snow storm. Talked to my parents this morning and they said it was a good thing their porch door opened inward because there was two feet of snow up against it.

We had 2 inches of snow here yesterday, gone today.

Hope all you folks back home stay safe and stay warm.

My sister found this picture of the place she used to work at:
lakeview castle

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 124

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I can't ever remember the castle looking like this, even if we went by it many a time. What years did your sister work there? Motel certainly hasn't changed much though. Great PC

boon
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We sure did, Torggy. Where did you live in Two Harbors?

Great picture of the castle.

Also, Torggy, I've been reading the other threads and viewing the pictures you've taken of the school. Thank you for that because now with the school gone it is important to have those pictures to see and to share with our families. It really was a nice looking school when we all went there. The grounds were kept up and, well, thank you for the pictures.

(Message edited by boon on March 02, 2007)

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bonnie, George Nordling Jr is whom you are referring to. They lived west of the old Fish Fry on the Peterson Road. George Sr was one of the Nordling brothers. His brothers were Carl and Art. They had several sisters also. Yes, the George Sundstrom family lived on the Nordling Road. The Youngquists bought their house from Mr and Mrs Perry. She played the organ at French River Lutheran Church.

Blondie, you are probably aware that the owner of BP Amoco is Kyle Weideman, he is my cousin Peggi's son. One of my golfing partners in the summer.

You guys are talking of snowstorms and I was just outside watering my flower garden!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention the Mink Farm was owned by Marshall Reinig. Several of my highschool pals worked there scraping cages for 85 cents an hour!!! Tilford Eiken also had a mink ranch up on the McQuade Road. Just north of the four lane. Some of the Eikens are still around the Duluth area. I saw Nora a few years ago.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the Nordling Road is just west of the Scenic Cafe, probably a block or so. It ran all the way up to the Old North Shore Road. I used to take my granddad partridge hunting on it. Drove the 54 chev down as far as the railroad tracks. The four lane wasn't there in those days.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a day! The drive was quite a trip. The Beast(my chev pick up truck) got me to work. One lane was plowed by MN Dot. The blowing wind and snow up to the bumper. The drive home was not as bad. Several hours of snow blowing. My sons had most of the blowing done. Then I had to help out the inlaws. I took some photos, I will have to see how they turn out. I remember growing up on the big lake and the waves were huge during this type of a storm. I would had like to watch the wave crash and crush the ice. I can ony guess what it could had looked like from Stoney Point rocks facing Knife River side. I am looking forward to enjoying the weekend.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 125

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM oh yes, Kyle is such a nice guy. Actually last month we got a new battery for our van from him. A couple years ago, there was this trailer set up by the station, with all these goodies for sale, so my husband checked it out after filling up with gas. It was Peggy.

I was good friends with Mary Lou Eiken, and have no idea where she is. The last time I saw her, she was living in an apartment on 4th Street.

Guess, I don't know the Nordling Road, but did hear the name growing up.

LWM, tomorrow, I will post a picture for you of the Lundquist sawmill that I found in my old picture.

MAXX glad you made it to work and home safely. Your beast made it for you. (grandson went home today from Ely, and guess he went in the ditch by Isabella, he has four wheel drive, but guess he and his friend got out)
MAXX I gather you don't live by the lake anymore.

What a day we had, took us hours and I mean hours trying to clean the snow out. The drifts were so bad, hard. Being so deep it took longer. By the garage, my husband asked me to come and break the snow down, as he plowed, and even doing that, it took a couple hours. Park Point only opened up later today, the drifts down there were like 10-15 feet high, that is unreal.

Hate to think of how our bodies will feel tomorrow!!!! Probably won't be able to get out of bed even.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 03, 2007)

valleygirl
Rookie Poster
Username: valleygirl

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was the name of the Tea House that was between Johnson's Drive in and Falk's boat works? (Nordling Road)

torggy

Post Number: 777

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember something being around there. Wasn't it in the old agate shop right at the bottom of Nordling road? Maybe not. Didn't Alpert's or the next door people have a "tea room"?

Boon, glad you like the school pictures. They were shrunk to fit the site. If you tell me which ones you want I can send you the full size.

Also for those of you that may have found this site through the TH site there are more pictures and things at www.clovervalleyforum.com

Hope you all get dug out okay.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall there was a tea room in the house just west of the Scenic Cafe (Johnson's Drive-in). Poe's lived in the house after it closed. Hubbards live there now. I think that's the one Valley Girl is thinking of. I'll need to ask what the name was. If anyone sees Fred Poe he would probably know.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 126

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, here is that picture of Lundquist Sawmill. Next to it was the garage, then an old barn. A big field to the right of the picture.

lundquist sawmill

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rubergs lived in the house next to Johnson's drive in. They moved into the new house that had the fire in the 70's. Down here we had highs in the 60's and 70's. Thursday was another story. I live south of where the tornado hit the high school. I live in Fl., the area where Ivan hit a couple of years ago. We stayed at home for it.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took a little run up the shore today after work. Park Point was really still socked in. Several houses had big drifts and garage doors totally block with snow. I mean the height of the door. I had to stop there since it was on the way. I spoke with a DTA supervisor who was checking on the bus routes yesterday and I was told you need to see the point. Too much traffic to stop to take a good photo.

Many people were out by the Duluth water station taking photos out on the lake. Stoney Point had more traffic on it today compared to the other day when I shot some photos. The ice ended just past Dodges Log Lodges. I also took some shots since it was a sunny day and would make for some bright pictures.

Blonde, I shoot both 35 mm (Canon Rebel) and I also have a Sony digital 5.1 megapixel that is built like a 35 mm with a 10X Optical zoom. The Optical zoom makes for a clear photo. If I want I could blow up photos to 14X17 with no problems. This camera sells for under $400. I am still trying to get the feel of this camera. Digital. It nice that you can delete photos that you don't like or didn't turn out. Since I shoot at the best quality image, this could be my problem posting. I currently trying to get some winter shots to blow up for my living room. I have some that I took years ago that are fall photos.

I may not live near the lake but it not that far of a drive across Duluth.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 127

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, wasn't it a beautiful day yesterday. I went for a walk, and still many people trying to get open, and still many cars buried. The water was starting to run some in the streets, especially north/south ones. Today it is windy and it says 28.

We wondered how far that ice had blown down towards Duluth.

Thanks for the info on the camera's. I am leaning towards one that is like a 35mm. Like that bigger zoom, and feel of the camera. Been checking them out. I don't want too small of a screen though, too hard to see, for me anyway. Now I am waiting for my roll of winter pictures to come in, I hate that.
I used to do that also, blow up pictures from scenes and put on my walls. The best pictures for that, were taken with my old Yashica SLR, still have it, and do use it for outdoor once in awhile. Also, this is the best for taking pictures of my flowers. I have some pretty fall photo's from last fall that I had on my yahoo photo picture site.

http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/looking-at-options-for-compressing-digital-photos/15303 8;_ylt=AozwLLIROSaciaKxbhMKUSsXL5A5 On Yahoo main page, they had about digital camera's, lots of different articles to read. Here is one about compressing your digital photo's and problems.

torggy

Post Number: 780

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, sorry I forgot to answer your question. We lived in Waldo.

Glad to hear everyone is getting dug out. There were some great pictures on the Duluth News tribune web site.

I use MGI Photosuite to shrink my photos. Under the image function there is a resize option. Ya have to practice to get the picture to not look flattened or stretched but it seems to work okay.

Here is one that Max sent of the safe harbor clogged with ice. This was taken before the last big storm.
safe harbor

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for posting the photo of the box factory. That's the way I remember it back in the late 40s.

Cindy, the Poe family moved into the house west of Johnson's Drive Inn in the late 40s. I believe they were the first in there after the tea room closed.

Had a high of 72 yesterday here in Red Bluff, CA. Expecting the same today. Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen are showing off their snow caps today. Hang in there, No. MN people, the snow will be gone soon!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 782

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The late 40's? Thank goodness that was before my time

The frogs in the low wet areas started singing this weekend. Looks like spring is just around the corner here.

Here is a picture I took of the school last summer:
school from front

boon
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torggy - This picture is after the old part burned down? Thank you about getting me prints. I'll let you know.

Waldo! When we were little my Dad used to take us swimming up there.

We had some major rain (I'm near San Francisco) but now it is sunny and warm and I was out pulling weeds yesterday, pruning and smelling the beautiful buds on the fruitless plum tree. We did have snow on the St. Helena peak but it's gone now.

LWM - Are you vacationing in Red Bluff?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I Have lived in CA since 1971. I split my time between Fremont and Red Bluff. Actually came out to CA in 1967 (Navy). My ship was homeported in Long Beach. Got orders to Treasure Island in late 69.

boon
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have friends who live in Red Bluff but Gary gets up there more often than I do. The husband comes down to see his mom in Healdsburg so we see him a few times a year.

I moved up here in 1970. Seems like just yesterday....

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Blondie that link to the cameras has the Sony like mine. I have the DSC-H1which is under the super zoom tab. I took a ride out to North Shore and picked up my book Root in the Past. Seeing all the snow piles reminded me of playing King of the Hill. This was a good game played during lunch during the warmer days of winter. I didn't bring my camera and missed a chance to shoot a few deer feeding on Ryan road and Old North Shore are the same road right before French River. There were spots where th snow blew across the road and the sanding truck was out taking care of the slippery road in these areas.

I have just started to read the book. So far I find it interesting. It is interesting reading about how much logging was done out in the valley. Still there has been some place logged out. Even the Hegberg has seen logging over the years like the Fox Farm area.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 128

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old school, sure looks nice in that picture, the front anyway. Torggy, I can shrink pictures with the program that came installed on my computer. Only problem is, it only allows from the bottom and right side, and that doesn't always work out. So, many times, I have to just go back and re-scan and resize pictures. I also can insert text into pictures, which I did on a couple that I put in before. Torggy in a previous post you thought there was a tea room in the house next to Alperts. I know there was something in that house, and that was my first thought also, when someone asked about a Tea Room.

LWM, do you promise that the snow will be gone soon?!!! As they are predicting snow for today!!!

Thanks Maxx for the info on the camera, and enjoy your book. Funny when I bought it in 2000, I looked at it, but didn't! Now with this forum, I have really gotten more into it, and some very interesting information in there.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 06, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 783

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, that means you went swimming at 'Big Rock". You went by our place on the way there. Also I thought you might be interested in what is for sale on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Phillips-66-Thermometer-Two-Harbors-Minn_W0QQitemZ12 0094322710QQihZ002QQcategoryZ832QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Max, glad ya found one of "the books" happy reading.

I would really like to find a picture of the school from the front showing both the old and new parts. Anyone got one of those? In an old annual maybe?

How about a picture of the old Johnson Drive Inn? Anyone got one of those?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I couldn't pull that up on E-Bay, what came up was something to the effect it had been removed.

Yes, I would love to see a picture also of new and old school as it was, someone has to have one laying around.

We had to go out and do some errands, and the problem now, you can't see the ice under this fresh snow, so I put on my ice cleats, not taking a chance!!!

torggy

Post Number: 784

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, ya. I forgot, Boon, yes that picture of the school was from last summer. The old part is not only burned down but most of the mess has been hauled away and the hole filled in. The guy who owns it now has the place in better shape than it has been in years. He has hopes of finding something to do with the building but only time well tell.

Here is another from a differant angle:
school from front 3

torggy

Post Number: 785

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry the link did not work. If all else fails go to Ebay and type Two Harbors into the search area.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 130

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I clicked on your site again, and it came up this time. That is neat. Yes, I wonder how old that thermometer is. It certainly is big enough.
I also went into e-bay and found a postcard of Bill's motel where I worked one summer, now that is gone. It was beautiful there, what a view of the cliff and lake.

That is a nice picture of the school.

I imagine that whole end where the old school was attached is wide open?

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Big Rock - that's the place!!! I remember getting blood suckers on me and also I was using an inner tube one time and fell through the center hole and everytime I tried to come up for air I'd hit the inner tube (it was huge). My Dad had to dive in after me.... I was pretty young.

I clicked on the http for E-bay and it worked. I want this item. I'm not sure how to do this but I'll check into it. Yes, I am intereted and I thank you, Torggy.

torggy

Post Number: 786

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, Ebay is easy to use. Paypal is the best way to pay for the item also, if the seller uses paypal that is. Most do.

I just got my "historic sites and place names of the the North Shore" yesterday. Interesting book.

Yes the one end is wide open:
hole left by old part
That is my daughter in the lower right. She kinda enjoyed walking around the place.

Funny story, in my Junior year I think it was, Larry Nesgoda and I were fooling around with acid during chemistry class. It was the first year of the new chemesty lab. Well one thing led to another and a baby food jar full of acid and aluminium steaming away ends up on my table top. I still remember Mr. Granger peering over his desk and saying "Torgerson if that thing explodes you well never see the inside of this school again"! About that time the lid blew off throwing acid all over the ceiling. The stains were there till the day the school closed. Everyone was okay but there sure were some mad teachers.

My youngest upon seeing the all burned out old part of the school several years ago. Looked at me and said "boy Dad I bet you got in real trouble,huh"?

Gotta be more careful about the stories I tell my kids.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 131

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see the railing there, and boys bathroom, and then the girls bathroom.
They used to take pictures of the classes on those steps.

I really got a chuckle out of your Funny Story, and what your daughter said when she saw the school. That is funny. yes, one has to be careful what they say around kids, as they don't forget!!

class on steps
here is a picture on those steps

Homecoming 55
cv homecoming

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pictures are great....Up the stairs. To the left were lockers. Then Mr. Anderson's lab. (This is 1967 now.) Then Vern Nelson's Economics class. Then steps leading down to the typing room and year book room. Back upstairs: Mr. Lindquist's homeroom, Mr. Granger's geometry. I can't remember the other room on that side. I think there were three. Anyway....Oh, no, I remember now. There were lockers in between the two rooms.

I enjoyed your story as well, Torggy. I hesitated telling my son stories about some of the things I did. I wasn't bad but, well, sometimes mischevious. Yes, that's a good word. I can remember Mr. Lindquist giving me that certain smile and tilted head that said, "You can't pull a fast one on me."

Well, Torggy, I placed my bid. I guess now all there is to do is to monitor it until the 12th. Thank you again. This is the first time in many years that I have bid on eBay. Will be fun.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 132

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Mr. Anderson's lab on the right side as you went up those steps. Other class rooms, well, Mr. Lindquists on the left side, back, that one I remember. One year I remember my homeroom as being the back one on the right before going down the back stairs. Grade no idea.

Seems I always had my locker down in the new part of the school.

Good luck Boon on getting that Thermometer. I have never bid on eBay.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Torggy, be prepared for some giant emails of some photos. I scanned from several year books. You can post for those who would like to see. I will be sending soon.

torggy

Post Number: 787

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True to his word Max has sent me a couple of pictures. The larger version is better. Let me know if you want the bigger one.
school from front
new construction
Anyone know the folks in the picture? Notice the girl at the window in back.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am assuming these pictures, especially the bottom one was 54-55 when they were building the school. I have a 55 year annual, and haven't seen the top picture, so what year were these?

Maxx could you add the years that pictures came out of annuals, that would be interesting.

Do you have a lot of annuals?
this is great.

Torggy, I still can't get pictures to the pixel you have that you put in. Don't know what it is.

torggy

Post Number: 788

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max sent me the scanned page from the annual but I can not make it fit the bulletin board and still be read. So I typed it in. Funny stuff and some familiar names.

CLASS WILL
We the 1962 Senior class of Clover Valley High School, being of thick heads and thin wallets, do make and publish this which we declare to be our last will and testament:
We hereby appoint Mr. Anderson as custodian of the perishable affections of '61-62, such as the Kennedy bouffant, short skirts, "Big John" recordings, the twist, and the dried mistletoe from the 1961 Christmas party.

Michele Alpert bequeaths her enormous purses to any young man in need of a fishing creel.

Robert Beck bequeaths his fertile inagination (where absentee excuses are concerned) to Tommy Eiken

William Carlson bequeaths his long shanks to Conrad Sunde.

John Chaffee bequeaths his Mr. Kenneth hair-do to Ted Thompson.

Shirley Driscoll bequeaths her habit of dressing in black to Sharon Pavlisich.

Mary Eiken bequeaths her giggle to sober sides Arlene Swanson.

Hilding Jackson bequeaths his free-wheeling hand with the finance to Tom Trevillion.

Ed Jackson bequeaths his old chewing gum to Mr. Anderson.

Mike Johnson bequeaths his Chesshire cat grin to Dennis Johnson.

Dodd Keller bequeaths his curly wave to J.D. Rowray.

Beverly Larson bequeaths her coyness to Sharon Ives.

Arthur Leeman bequeaths his social book to next year's seniors along with his teacher.

Allen Marple bequeaths all his books and teachers to next year's seniors and says, " Merry Christmas and Happy New Year"

Geoffery Ormandy bequeaths the mile run to the next crazy person at Clover Valley

Carol Rooney bequeaths nothing: she needs everything for her dowry.

James Ross bequeaths his loud socks to Mr. Eilola.

Roger Saamanen bequeaths his sweethearts to Roland Nyberg.

Betty Schmidt bequeaths her dimpled knees to Kathy Borgstrom.

James Scott bequeaths his old torn (in the seat) breeches to Dale Schumann.

Diane Udenberg bequeaths her attendance record to Jeannie Cooke.

Curtis Walberg bequeaths used oil from his car to Donald Shelhon.

Kathy Winter has no estate.

(Message edited by Torggy on March 06, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 789

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My fault. The notations on the pictures that Max sent show that the picture of the front of the school was from the 72 book and the construction one was from the 73.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I think I know that 62 one very well!!!

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saved the 62 year book from being hauled to the dump. I missed getting one year book but have four. I remember looking at some of the old year books while attending school. I only wished that I would had hung on to some of the school newspapers. Such things dealing with school life would be fun to review. While looking at the 72 year book seeing the football homecoming week. Slave day when the football players were auction off to the highest bidder. There was some bidding wars when one gal may had been bidding on another gals boyfriend. Slave would spend their day with their new owner. Other than maybe having to some silly things for your owner, what a way to get out of class.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 135

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, I remember reading a post somewhere that you had written about finding this yearbook. Where was this, wasn't it down the shore somewhere?
I called my one classmate this morning, and we are trying to figure out, which one of our classmates left that behind like that.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I would say that this year book would have belong to someone who didn't live a long time in Clover Valley. We all had students who were short term classmates. This year book only had one person sign the book. Mr. Antonovich. I would guess this belong to a male student whos career was short at CV. No name is written in the book. It has water damage from 12 plus years of storage before I found the book. I was helping haul junk out of Thompsons. There were some white cabins/rental untils across the street from the Wonderland. After Thompson passed away, I forget who then bought the place. Things were hauled away. I found the book and saved it from being trashed. Looking at the year book and seeing former students whom I know as young adults starting life. Since you ask about this book makes this a good segway for a question that I bet you can answer.

What stuck me about this year book was about one of the students that was your classmate. His picture was in the throphy case at CV. Dod Keller was his name. All I know about him is that he died in Nam while in the service I believe. That may had been on a sign by his photo in school. I don't remember ever hearing anyone talk of Dod while I went to school. I guessing he was a good guy since there was a scholarship name for him. So Blondie tell us about Dod Keller and also is the Scholarship still used today?

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Dodd Keller, Maxx. We were told that he and some of his fellow soldiers were down at a creek or river washing out their clothes when they were attacked. Yes, Dodd was a very nice person. He was a fairly short and stocky man with blond hair if I remember correctly. I'm sure Blondie has much more information to offer.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dodd Keller lived with Al and Anna Mae Pearson. They owned the store. I think Mrs. Keller was
Anna Maes sister. Mrs Schuman, Darlene's mom, was also Anna Mae's sister. At least that's the way I remember.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dodd Kellar was a gentleman in every sense of the word. He always had a smile on his face and was kind to everyone. Never saw him with a frown nor did he ever have anything bad to say about anyone. He was part of the Americal Division that hit the beach in Viet Nam in 1964. When Memorial Day rolls around, think of him, he would have made any parent proud.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo of the three people standing over the new construction of the school is somewhat of a mystery. However, I believe the man is W.W. Salmi, the Supt. of St. Louis County Schools-don't hold me to it though!!!! I have no idea who the ladies are.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 136

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, I remember Dodd as a quiet kid, but I am sure with his friends he was more open. I can't remember the year he died, but sure his good buddie can tell us, and go into more details about Dodd. I am going to e-mail him, and encourage him to add something on here about Dodd.

Dodd's name is down at the VietNam War Memorial on the Lake Walk. I went there once, and it was hard seeing his name up there, he was the first in our class to die.

I honestly don't know if they still have that Scholarship going or not.

Yes, he lived with Pearson's, I think that was an aunt or some relative, and he was on the shorter side and stocky.

Here is his class picture and the clipping I cut out when he died. Wish I had put the date on it but didn't.

Dodd rest of articleclass picture of dodd

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 137

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the brighter and lighter side, we went to see a movie today. "Wild Hogs". If you want to see a funny movie, go see this one. We laughed through the whole thing basically. On our way home, we were reliving parts, and laughing. GO SEE IT!! when it comes on DVD, we will buy it, and watch it again, as sure we missed things, laughing.

The lake is all covered in ice again, and just the other day, it was open pretty much, at least up here, but not anymore. Again a few people daring to ice fish way out down by Lester.

Yikes gas took a hike today to $2.45..I think we will have to stop going to Duluth, as seems every time we do, when we leave town, gas is cheaper, come home and it has jumped way up again.

valleygirl
Rookie Poster
Username: valleygirl

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought you might all enjoy this if you haven't already seen it.
http://superioredtv.blogspot.com:80/2007/03/two-harbors-snowed.html

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 138

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the site Valleygirl, I hadn't seen it.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The video is great, Valley Girl. Brought back a lot of memories.

Ah, Blondie......gas out here is up to $3.12 and that's a rise from just over this past weekend because the weather is so springy and warm. The greed from these companies amazes me.....

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the pictures of Dodd, Blondie. I remember him well because of Marlene Schumann. He was a very nice person.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MAXX, the Higbee family lived directly across the road from the Store. Ken Higbee was part of the class of 1962. He is currently in Rugby, North Dakota.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM - I remember that the Higbee's lived there. Do you know where Brad is? He was in my class but moved when we were in 8th grade.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 139

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM...afraid your wrong about Ken Higbee, he was not part of the class of 62, he was class of 61.

I don't know if my classmate is going to put in anything about Dodd, just in case not, he did send me the date he died, it was Feb 1, 1966 by small arms fire. His tour of duty started on Dec 22, 1965, so he sure wasn't over there long.

Oops, just caught my error on the date of death!

(Message edited by Blondie on March 08, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 140

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

snow no wonder we couldn't get out our back door!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx you were talking about Park Point and going down there, check this out. I tried to edit my last post and put this in, ended up, goofed up instead, so deleted it out. So just decided to put this link in this one
http://www.northernimages.com/blizzard07/content/index.html

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did go for a drive down on the point. I have yet to download my camera. I saw some of the same homes that O'Hara took photos of. The traffic was very heavy and I only took a short drive. I didnt want to add to the problems of those who live on the point. Parts of the road was only one lane wide. This kept traffic backed up on the point. More and more photos will come out from those who live on the point. It is a good post so others can see the snow ont he point.

torggy

Post Number: 790

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I was in the eight grade when Dodd was killed. To young to really know what it all meant. I remember a tribute and his picture in one of the year books I think.

It has been great fun to look at all the pictures of the storm. Some from the point are really impressive!

One of my class mates, Carol P. sent a picture of the class of "69" reunion in 89. Andy Sternberg had rented a motor home, stocked it with drinks, got a young man to drive and we toured the countryside. We went to the old school got inside and walked the hallways. Then we went up and visited Mr. Lindquist. We ended the night at Mike Grub's tavern, the Hitching Post. We had a great time!
69in89
Oh ya, plus we all had blue shirts that said "Clover Valley class of 69". I blame the beer, the hat and the shirt for the fashion statement I made in that picture, Yikes! and that was early in the evening.

Thanks for the picture Carol P.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 143

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice picture Torggy....I sent you a personal message, forget it. Looked closer at the pix, and answered my own question.

I never was back in the school after I graduated, wish I had though.

Funny, I don't remember that Clover Valley sign there, but sure it was.

Sounds like you guys had fun. How many graduated in your class Torggy? You might have mentioned it at one time, but I am too lazy to go back on posts to look.

torggy

Post Number: 791

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya, I'm hard to miss

My wife was the only non-class member on the trip. I think she might have taken the picture. I could be wrong though.

At the time we had the largest number to graduate in one year at 38. I believe one or two classes after us was larger.

Funny how just as the school was graduating larger classes they closed it. I suppose there was a method to the madness.

torggy

Post Number: 792

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is where I remember that the school #92 sign being. But when I was there this summer it had been moved out by the front sidewalk. Perhaps to save it from being destroyed during the demolition of the old part.
school 92

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did they number the schools? What do you suppose that means?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 144

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is 50 above outside, just beautiful. Wow, is that snow ever soft now, and water running. I was just out in a sweatshirt.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, right you are about Ken H. I should have known. It was my sister's grade.

Boon, I have no idea where Brad H. would be. Ken is a teacher at the high school in Rugby, and coach. At least he was at our last reunion. You might try contacting Ken.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have an e-mail for Ken?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, unfortunately I don't have any contact information. You might try the white pages for Rugby, North Dakota. I'm also quite certain there is only one high school there so that might be an option as well. Good Luck!

torggy

Post Number: 793

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know that Rugby is the geographical center of North America? There is a nice marker there in a gas station parking lot that says the actual spot is out in the roadway and had to be moved when the road was widened.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 145

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I never knew that about Rugby, actually never heard of it before today. Did find this on the net
rugby

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I meant to mention that I remember when they made those two Cavaliers. Patsy Alseth Marnich and Elaine Pukkala did a lot of the painting and other work on them. They have both passed away. They were made in either 1954 or 55 after the new Gym was opened.

m_johnson
Rookie Poster
Username: m_johnson

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found this site,after seeing a gradutiion photo of the class of 74. Sure brings back memories. That class was one class ahead of me and I hung around with a number of them until we moved off Greenwood road to Pequaywan Lake. I also took a walk around the outside of the school last fall, after what seems like 20 years I did not even think it was still standing. I remeber one time in 9th grade (last year I was there- only for the first month) we got caught smoking by the football coach (Mr Swanson???)and had to do the duck walk back and forth through the whole school. It seemed like we did it for days, but was probably only for an hour.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 146

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I remember Elaine Pahkala, she graduated in 56. She was a friend of my aunts. Yes, Elaine died at a young age, she was married to Jim "Unga" Carlson, who passed away not long ago.

Nice to see others posting on here. I had to laugh at m johnson's post, having to do the duck walk, that is hilarious Even an hour is a long time!! Where did you graduate from then, as you said you left CV in the 9th grade?

Had to go to Duluth yesterday, and when we came back by Lester River, we couldn't believe the people out there on the ice. There looked to be some open water, or maybe it was just water on top of the ice, regardless, looked dangerous.
There was someone paragliding with ski's over the ice, that looked fun.

m_johnson
Rookie Poster

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graduated fromt Duluth Central - class of 75.
Kids from Pequawan Lake originally went to Clover Valley also, but the year we moved from french river to the lake is the year the school district started moving people away from Clover Valley School. When we originally moved we thought that I was still going to go to Clover Valley. One of the other things I remember about the school was no matter how many times they had the name on the front of the building fixed, somebody always kept stealing some of the letters. I will always remember it as "LOVER ALLEY COOL"

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for the correct spelling of the Pahkala name. I didn't do a very good job!! I see Cliff Pahkala at Kyle's station quite often in the summer.

We have a group from French River that has been going to Judy's for breakfast on Saturday mornings for over 20 years! I see your classmate Stan Towers in there once in awhile.

M. Johnson, where did you live on Greenwood Road?

m_johnson
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I lived on the rail road track side of Greenwood rd. a couple of driveways north of spruce court. I think the address was 9877 greenwood rd. ?? It was a pretty big rambler stle house with a walkout facing Greenwood road, sometime after we moved one of the owners but and addition on the frt of the house. Had a big garage back closer to the Rail Road tracks.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration