Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * More of this and that < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 794

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shorecrest 1
shorecrest 2
shorecrest pic 1

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 147

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Torggy for starting a new thread, it was starting to take a longggggg time for the other to come full up..atleast for dial up...mine!

I imagine there is more to come on the story, it is interesting. But who is Mel Carlson?

Heeeheee, LWM, I had to get out the yearbook and look up how to spell Pahkala myself!! Cliff used to lived 4 houses over from us. He lives right behind Kyle's station now, works on cars, by that, cleaning them inside and out, and polishing them. Our friend brings his older car there every year, then after he picks it up, he drives up and shows it off.

Both Stan and Sharon Towers were in my class, but neither one graduated with us. You must meet when your back in the area then, Knife River campground isn't it?

M-Johnson, I remember that "Lover Alley"...saw that a few times myself. Name kind of fit it

dab
Rookie Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two cavaliers had to be made after 1955 as I graduated in 55. The name of Eiken was Mentioned and there was a older boy by the name of Paul, he was one grade ahead of me and left CV. I often wonder what happend to him, anybody know? He was a very nice guy. There Mink farm was located on the corner of the mcquade rd. and flynn road {spelling} LWM did the Flynn rd. play a important part in your high school yrs.? It sure played a big part in the class of 54,55.&56. Another area of fun was on the Ryan rd. just before sucker river, there was a road or trail you could drive in and it was like a park setting. There were picnic tables and such. It was a nice party area. The river was right there. If only the Nordling road could talk it sure would have some interesting stories. I forgot about the Molde fire tower, that was also a interesting spot. I remember when I got out of the service I worked in the tower for Harold Alseth,Forrest Ranger during fire season. I had recalled a lot of events that took place at the foot of the tower our Jr.& Sr. year. I was lucky as a freshman to be on the varsity basketball team, and that year we were treated to a trip to Mineapolis to watch the Lakers play. That night we had permission to go to a movie just a few doors down from the hotel. Well there was some of us that went more than a few doors and ended up in a semi-strip place. Thanks to those who went to the movie, when asked the next day what the movie was about they had the answer. That park like area could have been smithd creek {spelling] Not the sucker.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another new thread Torggy? Funny how your site started slow and now a fouth thread has started this year. I didn't start to post untl the second thread. So Torggy do you know how people read the pages and don't post? I know that I had read the pages before posting.

Blondie back to the 62 year book I found. I would guess that it could had belong to Bradley Higbee. One other person signed this book. He used a pencil and it was hard to see. Thomas Boren signed Tom in his plaid shirt which made it hard to see. Both Bradley and Thomas were in 7-2. This was writen on the both of page.

New subjects, new teachers, and many more new friends engaged, members of the Class of 67 led by Brad Higbee, President Karen Anderson, Secretary; and G.O. Representative Mary Grubb

A rosy future s predicted for the Grubb girls as the Toni twins. Perhaps Karen Anderson will be the Miss America of 1970 and Mr. Carlson will be reading ten books a day instead of five.

Those clever yearbook staff comments. I did spend one year working on the Northeaster. Now year book staff work on the books with digital cameras which would make the job easlier.

dab
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What year did Herb Johnson retire? Joe Parker, Harriet Vesel. Joe Parker had a fantastic collection of guns, many relating to the old west. He had a habit of snorting and Art and I would mock him. We sure got some nasty looks from him. He taught typing and some other class. The one teacher you did not mess with was Pat King {coach} he would take you to task in a heart beat. Enough for now, these near 71 year old eyes are getting tired.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, Herb Johnson went on to be principal, the first one, at North Shore Elementary. Do you remember the house that sat where the school is now? The Downs family lived there. Ronny was in my grade. I think that place you are referring to was on the east side of Schmidt's Creek. I used to hunt up there and there were picnic tables and chairs in there. It was a very nice setting. Flynn Road was certainly part of our itinerary!!! I remember Paul Eiken. Tilford had three children from another marriage as I recall. Paul, Tom, and Sandra.

I agree, if the Nordling Road could talk!!! People now wouldn't believe we used to drive down as far as the railroad tracks before the 4 lane. The one just west of Sucker on the Old North Shore went all the way down to the Shorecrest. Used to get stuck on that one. Not much clearance under my 56 Chev.

I remember Mr. Parker and his gun collection. Mr. King also. He lived upstairs at Bloomingdale. Harriet Vesel lived on the Miller Trunk not to far north of where the mall is now. Other teachers I recall from that time were Miss Stewart, Mr. Springetti, the Puumala twins, Doris and Delores. Doris taught first grade at Bloomingdale, and I had Delores for the fifth grade at CV. How about Bob Melander, Dave Beadle, Mrs. Listerud, Mrs. Wilmunen, Mr. Askelin, Miss Sampson, Mr. Goldfarb, Miss Eskeli, Mrs. Minter, and of course Florence Waits. She'd fine you five cents if she caught you walking on the grass out front of the school. Was Mr. Lindquist there when you were there, DAB? We had him his first year of teaching. Dave Beadle and Vern Eilola, Al Ness, Mrs Bergman, Mrs. Driscoll-I'll stop there!

Charles Erickson from Two Harbors taught a gun safety class for several years also. He had an old flintlock
that knocked me on my you-know-what!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, yes I stay at Knife River campground. Randy and Dee Ellestad are super people. It's fun to make the rounds there. I go up to see Mike Ojard-also visit with Lawrence Lee. It's a good central location for me since I walk with Cliff Sundstrom and Ray Johnson every morning from the Corner Cupboard to just beyond the safe harbor. You would see us every morning between 7 and 8am. We are also the trash patrol for that stretch of highway so you won't find any trash there!!!! This of course is in the summer, not the winter!!!We had 80 degrees here today and it's supposed to be in the 70s thru next weekend.

torggy

Post Number: 795

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ever wonder where the local kids party at now? That little park area on the Ryan road sounds neat. Guess there is a house there now, eh? We went to a gravel pit on the Rosinni(sp) Truck Trail for our senior party. Went great till about 4 in the morning when a Moose walked through. Scared all the girls away. Some of us were unable to run away

Melvin and Mary Carlson lived up on the App road and were friends with my parents. They had several children. Ron graduated a couple years ahead of me and was killed in the Twin Cities by a construction accident in the mid seventies I believe. I graduated with Serene. Danny was a couple years younger than me and there was at least one younger than that. Perhaps Serene who has posted here before can add more. Melvin and Mary ended up living on Greenwood Road a couple doors down from Zinc's till they both passed away. My parents who knew Mel for years never heard of his ties to Shorecrest till this story.
shorecrest 3
shorecrest 4
picture 2

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Danny Carlson graduated in '71 and Betty in '74.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM: I do remember the Downs house. Marlene was one grade behind me and the one I took a interest was her sister Ardis she was in the tenth grade. They left and I tthink they moved to Duluth. I saw Ardis about a year later at a bolling alley, she was a real fine looking lady then.Mr. Lindqist was not there when I was. Springetti was there when I was a Jr., he left at the end of the yr. He was a big man and I think he played football at ST Johns or St Mary,s. He was also one not to mess with and he made it clear to Art B and I. I remember Puumala She drove a green 1950 Ford just like uncle M. Al Ness came the year after me. I had the chance to talk with him several times, and he always was very nice. He also had a good looking daughter. This Larwence Lee how old would he be about? Do you remember the small adit of entry in the creek by uncle M. It was about 100+feet up from Greenwood Rd. The word was it was a old copper mine. YOU could only go back about 30feet and there was water. There was some timber and it looked like staging as if there was a shaft to a lower level. The water was clear and cold.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, it must have been 56 then when the Cavaliers were made. Patsy Alseth graduated in 56.

I do remember that cave, in fact, I looked at it last summer. The opening is smaller than I remember it being. When we were kids we crawled to the back in the winter on the ice. We didn't have a light so not sure how much farther back it goes. It heads toward PB's house. There were a series of those test copper sites done along the shore, in fact, John Fritzen refers to it in his book. There is a picture of Claude Midlam standing next to the one we are talking about.

Good memory, the Puumala sisters did drive a 50 Ford coupe. I forgot to mention they were identical twins. Couldn't tell them apart. They were from Cloquet. Delores had a big time crush on Springetti and we could get her face to turn red when teasing her.

Al Ness actually had two daughters, Sonja and Sandy. Sonja passed away not too long ago. Sandy lives down near Stillwater. She was one of my classmates.

Lawrence Lee would be in his late 70s or early 80s. They are right across the road from Russ Kendall's Smoked Fish. He has a niece named Ione who is probably around your age. She graduated from CV as did her sister Maria and brother Robert.

Also, last summer I took a drive up the Gamble Road where Grosheks lived and there is a whole new housing development toward the Berquist Road from their place. Didn't you date Roberta at one time? She and Charlotte were very attractive women. Charlotte's husband, Bob Lake was a good football player too. Big and fast. He would have been on those teams you played on.

Just to mention for everyone who doesn't live in the area anymore, they have a Coming Home Party at the Townhall the first weekend in August. It is put on by the Homesteader's Senior Citizen group. I went last summer and saw people I hadn't seen since 1960! They serve a lunch and have music from the locals. It's a nice afternoon.

Well, back outside to work on my sprinkling system.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 148

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of memories coming out of people!!
I remember going up to Molde Fire Tower on field trips several times. Ted Larson lived there, the road going up ran right by his place.

Shame on Brad Higbee for throwing or leaving the yearbook, just kidding. I only wish I had bought more of them, as it is so fun now to look back on them and remember things.

This is the first I have heard of that Park like area by Schmidt Creek. I am curious as why it was there, and who put the pinic tables there, does anyone know?

LWM, afraid I won't see you guys out walking at 7-8a.m. If I was out and about down to Duluth at that time, I would be zooming down the freeway instead. You mentioned Lee's, and said he had a niece Ione, I remember when her husband died, I took care of him. Robert (Butch) never did graduate, he quit school, think he went into the service. I do believe he made it his career. Did see him and Kathy (class of 67) at the Legion Club in town a few years back.
Where is the Gamble Road, just can't place it? I know where the Berquist is. There are homes going up everywhere. With the leaves off the tree's and you drive along the expressway to TH at night, you can see lights everywhere on the north side, places where homes never existed before.

DAB, your talking about Art Berg. He died a few years back. He loved to tease me, because I was a CV gal, plus he was in my aunts class. I would often be out and hear "Cheap, Cheap, Cheap", and turn to see Art, or he was driving down 7th and I was out walking, here he is blowing his horn, yelling cheap, cheap, cheap. People would turn to look!! There is a story behind this, we were up to Dixie Saloon with my parents snowmobling back many years ago. Art was in there, and I bought him a beer. He was going to buy me one back but didn't, so my mother started calling him cheap, cheap, cheap. I miss Art.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: The park like setting was owned by some people from Duluth I am not real sure but was the story. LWM may no more about it. Yes Art was a real clown when he wanted to be. I remember him & I one Halloween Night he decided overturn some outdoor crappers. Well guess what the next day we were out setting the upright again. Yes we got caught. Like dummies, we should have known any fool could guess the guilty ones. It sure turned out to be a stinking job. Art was a verry good athlete. Art was very close to or equal to Dummpy. He and I would go to a movie on Sat noon, and there were people all over Superior Street. He would start walking like a crippled retard and babling all kinds of sounds. People would turn and watch him. I woul pretend I didn't Know him and then he would come and give me a hug. He sure could put on a show. Even a teacher would be having a bad day and he got them laughing. I remember him and I were about 9 turn in papers behind in math and they were not in in two days we could no play basketball thurs. night. well the whole class pitched in and we turned them in the last minute. He then handed them back to us and said you will be getting a D- for the report period.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: The park like setting I think was owned by some people from Duluth. LWM may have the answer. Yes Art could be a real clown. I remember he&I overturned some outdoor crappers one Halloween. Well the next day he and I were setting them back in place. It was a stinky job. Even a moron could have guessed the guilty. Art was a very good athlete about eaqul to Dummpy. One time he&I were 9 turn in papers behind in math. Herb J. said you have a day and a half to get them in or there will be no basketball game for you to thurs. Several of the class Mates pitched in and we turned them in and he threw them in the waste basket. He did say we will be getting a D- for the report period, and we did. WE use to go to a movie on Sat noon once in awhile. Superior St. always was full of people. He would walk like a crippled retard and bable all kinds of noise. I would pretend not to know him and then he would give me a hug. If a teacher was having a bad day he could get them laughing.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 149

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB,
Oh my gosh, I can just see Art. I read your post to my husband, and I was laughing so hard I could hardly read it. Art told me his name was Twaddle, but took on his step fathers name Berg.
arts obit
part 2

torggy

Post Number: 796

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is all to funny!

Boon, Did you get your Themometer okay?

LWM, did you see that the road you mentioned down to Shorecrest was also mentioned by Mel in his story? He called it the Hendrickson road. Hard to imagine the Old North Shore being the only road and little roads running from there to the shore.

Here is the rest of the Shorecrest story:
shorecrest 5
shorecrest 6
shorecrest pic 3
shorecrest pic 4

The coming home party sound fun. I hear that this week the Homesteaders is have a guy come in and talk about life on Isle Royal. Clifford's wife Lil lived there as a child. Maybe she can tell him a couple things, eh?

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torggy - Yes, I was the highest bidder.....'Course, I was the only bidder. I just sent my payment today and will hopefully get it in a week or two.

I am unable to open the images you have included about your Shorecrest story. Is there something special I need to do to open them up?

The Shorecrest story is fascinating and I had no idea of its beginnings.

Thank you, Torggy.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, there they are. Thanks again.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to work for Ida and Pat in high school. I suspect many students did. I also worked for Hilde and Kathryn Johnson at the Drive Inn. Good memories.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 150

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, glad you got that thermometer, or will get it.

Talk about a spring like day, we actually sat out for about an hour. The snow has really gone down, but predicting snow showers for tonight and tomorrow!!!

My aunt called to tell me, that in the Duluth Township Newsletter this time, they were encouraging people to go on the CV forum, lots of history on there. So, wonder if more will start posting.

Interesting about Shorecrest Torggy, I too never knew the history of it.

Ida was in the nursing home that I worked at, what a funny person she was, and so darn little, you could hardly see the top of her head when she stood by the nurses station. We got the biggest kick out of her. Pat used to come and visit her as much as he could.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the Township paper is promoting our little piece of the Valley? I just hope the former teachers don't start to grade our writtings. Ok Norma hasn't done that. I did speak with her a few weeks ago. She said she has been busy. Hopefully she will find some time to read up and post another story. Norma I hope all is well with you an Bill.

Now some of you talked about Herb Johnson. Man when he would come in and teach us at Northshore he had a nasty little trick. If we were taking a test, and he would walk around the class room to watch for people looking at someone's else paper. He would twitched us in the head. Herb would flick his middle finger and nail you in your head. The whole class would hear that hollow sound from someone's head. I had my own head twitched a few times. I use to use that on my own boys to get them to listen. The things we learn from our teachers.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy delete that #7 post if you can. I don't know what I did #8 is correct. Thanks

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 151

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheat in school, shame on you!! Glad I never did that, right! I remember whoever sat behind me, would whisper, move your arm so they could see my answer...gee, glad I never did that to the one in front of me, or along side of me, never

I hope everything is well with Mr. & Mrs. Lindquist, it would be nice if she would put her two cents in here also. Not grading us though!!!

I am sure Mr. Johnson did that to a few boys in my class also, don't recall anything happening to us girls though. Just think now, they would never get away with that!!!

It got warmer here 60, so went and sat on my upstairs balcony, I was in heaven, love being outside. I heard some voices and looked, here were some of the TH track team running down the street....shirtless.

Oh, say I noted today, that the Moose Club is for sale!! A HUGE SIGN ON THE CORNER.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I recall some of the oldtimers referring to that road as the Hendrickson Road. There were numerous roads like that and probably built before the scenic highway was put in. In fact, there was one that started above Cliff's house, right on the edge of where Denny Johnson grew up. We referred to it as the Logging trail. I remember in 51 when the highway was torn up, we drove up that road to the Old North Shore Road. In those days there was a crossing over the railroad tracks.

Boon, What years did you work for Pat and Ida? Yes, they were great people. Pat would always offer me his car to use when I was home on leave from the Navy. Hilbert and Katherine were nice people too. Between the two couples, they provided a lot of jobs for people in the community.

Blondie, the Gamble Road is about a mile or so west of the Berquist Road. I referred to the Grosheks in a previous posting as living at the end of that road. In the winter, you could see their place from the Ryan Road across Pete Hendrickson's field.

I have forwarded the article by Mel Carlson to his relatives (and mine) up in Oregon. They were most appreciative. They are Roy's family (Mel's brother). I remember Andrew Carlson, their father, really well. I used to take he and my granddad for rides a lot. He was a very kind man and fun to talk with. He worked for years on the section crew that maintained the DM&IR tracks that run up to Two Harbors. I believe he lived to be 93. He worked hard all his life. Just one of those special people that I will never forget.
I remember when they lived down by the lake he had a gourgeous 25 Chevrolet. This was late 40s, early 50s. Not sure when he sold it. Serene, if you talk with your brother Bill, see if he remembers it.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Herb Johnson could definately snap you on the back of the head. I recall on several occasions recombing my hair and pushing my glasses back up my nose. He could also take ahold of your neckhair and lift until you almost ran out of tiptoes-a real knack! He was a good man-we most always had it coming!

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, gosh, I was probably 9th grade (that would be 1964) when I worked for Ida and Pat. The rest of my high school years were with Hilbert and Katherine.

torggy

Post Number: 799

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOPS! I sent an Email to the webmaster at the Township paper and she answered but I never got back to her. Now it appears they have mentioned the site anyway. That is awesome. I am going to have to get back to her....

As I think about it I remember walking the tracks and seeing railroad crossings but no roads leading to them. Always wondered what they were there for. Turns out they were left overs from all the old roads. Some still have an effect. When I have gotten driving directions from my parents house frome Map Quest they always start with turn on "Wallace road". We always wonder where the heck is "Wallace road"?

Glad I didn't have Herb. My head would have been full of knots and the hair on the back of my neck would have been gone. I had a knack for getting teachers mad.

Found this picture of Shorecrest, had to buy the postcard to get a decent scan of it.
shorecrest

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 152

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Couldn't pull up the site before, tried and tried and nothing. But, see it is on again.
I wasn't the only one, so it wasn't just me. I was having a panic attack...no CV forum!!!!

torggy, I have had the same thing with Map Quest, get directions from our house to somewhere, and it is turn on this street or this road, never heard of those names before!

So your the one that contacted them, my aunt and I were trying to figure it out, and I said, I bet Torggy did! Janet Ward J? is the one that wrote something about it. Not sure about the spelling of her married name.

Hmm, lots of things came up with a red X, couldn't see Shorecrest, will have to try again, sure it will come up.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 153

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as I said, it came up. That is a nice view of the old Shorecrest. Didn't realize they had so many cabins. There is a building also across the road, and a dock.
Just think all those cabins are gone, how sad.
Sometimes a person wonders if progress and change are for the better or not.

torggy

Post Number: 800

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the first post of this thread Mel says the original building was right by the lake. I bet the building by the lake in the last picture is that one.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is great, Torggy. I really like the aerial view of the Shorecrest. I didn't know all the cabins were gone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 154

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last time we drove down that way, I looked over, and didn't see anything, but fresh dirt. Didn't see any cabins. I was driving, so didn't get a real good look.
I had heard they planned to tear them down, and heard something about putting up Condo's or something like that going up, or maybe nothing. But not sure. Know how talk floats around.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember when I was a youngster that house by the lake. There were people living in it. Alphonse's fish house was right next to it.

Notice the picture of the Shorecrest, it is the old building-note the peak roof in the center-the remodeled building had a flat roof.

When I was there last summer they left the two units toward Pierson's. Rumor was they had plans for a cooking school-as I said it was hearsay.

Boon, what area are you in out here in CA? If you were at Johnson's drive in in 64 I must know you. I hung around there a lot. 56 Chev 4door hardtop and a 66 SS396 Chevelle which I ran at Minnesota Dragways down in Anoka.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh,oh- now I'm going to have some fun.

Of course, you know me, LWM. I live in Windsor about 60 miles north of San Francisco.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't the Shorecrest called another name now? Did I miss that somewhere on the post?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 155

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Boon, it is called "Nokomis".
Been there, won't go back either! Certainly not Shorecrest or anything close to it.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Dad really wants to go. What's the menu like?

donthavacowman
Pro Poster
Username: donthavacowman

Post Number: 110

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.nokomisonthelake.com/index.html

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I sit here with a red face. You got me good!!!!!!!

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry. I had Torggy help to change my "handle" as I felt so vulnerable with my full name to be viewed. Plus, it's rather fun to have people try to figure out who you are.....

That was fun.....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM why don't you send Boon a PM message, sure she will tell you who she is. Or maybe you did already.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 14, 2007)

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM so did you race your 66 on the Lismore road? I wasn't old enough to be up there but there was lots of talk some locals would race...errrr I mean exceed the speed limit.

Blondie you weren't waving the start flag errrr your scarf?

torggy

Post Number: 801

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DHACM, thanks for the link! Not many people I have heard of want to go back to the place a second time. There seem to be enough to keep doors open though.

Anyone got a picture of Johnson's Drive-inn? That would be fun to see.

Hey LWM, ever run that SS on the new-highway before it was opened? I remember many a good race evening up there when it was just the concrete center with a 6 inch drop-off.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, it was probably one of my younger brothers. I sold the car to him when I went into the military in 67. I guess he had a pretty good time with the car.

Torggy, I didn't race up there myself although I must tell you Phil Carlson always wanted a ride in the Chevelle so I gave him one from the Ryan to the McQuade on the 4lane. He sat there with his mouth open.

I had a friend who had a car that was pretty much the same as mine except it wasn't a super sport. We were racing his Chevelle against someone from Two Harbors, can't remember the name, on the 4 lane in Larsmont before it opened, in the winter, and the car along side lost control and went crossways in front of us. I had just checked the speedometer and it was at 120mph. We went end over end and ended up between the lanes in about 3 feet of snow. Blondie, you probably know Phil Langley, he picked me up and gave me a ride to TH. It took me about ten minutes to get untangled from the mess inside the car. I wasn't driving, I was a passenger. The things we do when we're young!!!! It totaled the car, needless to say. I feel very fortunate to be here today. That was a wakeup for me. No more street racing.

By the way, for you racing fans, Those 396s with street gear would turn high 12s, around a 110mph in the quarter mile. AMC made an AMX that was quick. Ted Gustafson had one and it was spunky to say the least. Enough of the teenager talk!!!!!

I saw Phil Langley last summer at my cousins house and we had a good time reminiscing.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That name Phil Langley sounds familiar. Asked my husband, and he said the same thing. But we can't place him. Does Phil Langley still live in the area? Gosh this is going to bug me now, that name, I know I should know him.

I know my husband used to love to race, and I go to him, was that you by Larsmont...NO. LWM you were lucky that is all I can say. He raced before I married him, not after!!! Funny now I have to tell him SPEED IT UP!!!!

Hmmm ask "mother" about his racing our big car, and racing the car we bought him, a Plymouth Duster!!! Guess that Duster was one fast car. Although I don't think "mother" checks out our forum anymore....now that mother is on it!!!

Maxx, darn no, I wasn't out there with the Scarf, but I can imagine myself being that gal, like in the movies!!!!

Teenager talk keeps us young, always remember that!!!

torggy

Post Number: 802

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this cute little story:
graduation story 1
graduation story 2
graduation story 3

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 2007 Duluth township, MN, population is 1,825. There are 39 people per square mile (population density).

Family in Duluth township, MN
The median age is 41.4. The US median is 37.6. 64.85% of people in Duluth township, MN, are married. 6.92% are divorced.

The average household size is 2.5 people. 26.11% of people are married, with children. 3.89% have children, but are single.

Race in Duluth township, MN
98.13% of people are white, 0.44% are black, 0.00% are asian, 0.49% are native american, and 0.93% claim 'Other'.

0.49% of the people in Duluth township, MN, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 99.51% are non-hispanic).

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 159

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We got another 4 inches of snow!! Grrrrrrr!!!!!

LWM, you were talking about a Phil Langley, a Richard Langley graduated with my husband, probably a brother. I knew the name Langley sounded familiar.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Phil and his wife live in Illinois. They were visiting my cousin last summer. He drove an orange Corvette-was a friend of Tim Lukkonen and Jim Weideman. I think he said he lived with his uncle who was a commercial fisherman. It was a name I knew but can't think of it now!!!!

I noticed in the Duluth paper this am there was a bad accident at Gooseberry. It always bothers me when they don't give the name-I have so many relatives and friends along the shore. My condolences to the family of the person that lost their life.

Blondie, I'll find out whats going on with the Moose from my brother tomorrow. He is a member. There were rumors floating that the headquarters was looking at closing it. Too bad. I remember going to the old one which was in the basement of the old Agate Hotel.

Some more memories of Bloomingdale. Those of you that went there, I always remember the ash pile out behind the garage that was behind the school. You could always tell how cold the winter was by the size of the ashpile. I recall, Mr. Ratkovich, the janitor would give us an apple or an orange or a piece of hard candy for carrying the ash tub out and dumping it. When I first started in 1948, they had a 2x6 layed flat on the fence all the way around the school and we were told that was not for walking on. Of course someone had to break the rules which resulted in a broken leg. In this day and age that would have been a huge lawsuit! I remember a Mr. Hautala coming and teaching us how to play various musical instruments. Arlene Jorgenson and I played what I guess was a xylophone (I had to look that up in the dictionary). This was aside from the Teeny Weeny Band-which is another story. Mrs. Mandolin would play piano and all the first graders would either shake or pound on those instruments. I equated it to kicking an ant hill. Lots of commotion without anything recognizable coming out of it. But what are you going to do with six year olds, their attention span is about as long as a Rice-a-Roni noodle!!

Blondie, do you remember Carol and Charlie Anderson? They used to live up behind you guys. They would walk down with Nancy Johnson, Alice and Lorraine, Jean, etc. to catch the bus. In fact, they had to walk over to Bloomingdale. Also, I'm sure you remember Adolph and Freida Ryerson. Pioneer family who lived on the side of the hill too. Charlie had a Model A panel truck which he rolled over by Bluebird Landing. Not a good thing to do because that one had a canvas top-not like a convertible, just part of the roof.

In those days, Herb Gerth's bus was an International Panel truck. It had a nickname, "Butterball". It was yellow. I don't know how they fit all those kids in it. The Ives, Olson's, and I think Shatto's and Brittons too. Herb was also one of the janitors at CV after Anton Martinson and his boys.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 160

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI, there are a few cabins left by Nokomis on the north or is it east side of the property. We went to visit my uncle Bob & Aunt Delores today, and we came down the Ryan,(took special note of the Tank shop today) and drove 61 until we got to the Homestead. Now at the new restaurant, it almost looks like a church. I know that they are adding on the lighthouse feature to the front/top. But, my husband goes, it looks like a church! I am sure when it is done, it won't.

LWM, I sure do remember Carol and Charlie Anderson. There was a trail going through the woods from grandma's house(like little Red Riding Hood) up to their house and my aunt Laraine and I would use that trail and vice versa all the time. Oh yes, I had to walk to Bloomingdale also to catch the bus.

Yes, also to Freida Rienerson, remember where they lived, had a cute house up there. Einar Abrahamson lived at the very top of the hill there. Then Lindquists built a home. Was up in that area today, visiting my uncle and aunt, my old stomping grounds!!

Sure do remember Herb's little bus, so it was called Butterball, never knew that. I too wondered how all of us could fit in there. I would be the last to get on it, as we rented from Oberg's, actually where Millie and Don Oberg have their home now, I lived as a kid in a little log house. The only reason I rode Herb's bus was I missed my bus sometimes.

Bloomingdale memories, I remember playing those instruments, everyone had something to play, or shake, that was fun. Forgot about that. Good Ole Days!!

My uncle gave me his 1948 yearbook, it was called 'CLOVERETTE". I am going to go through it, and see what things I can scan and put on here.

Say DAB, I hear you were real popular in school.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I didn't remember you all living on the Paul Road. Do you remember Geraldine, William, and Albin Anderson. They lived upper side just above old Charlie Anderson's place. (Different Charlie than the one I spoke of previously).

My classmate, Frances (Tootie) Peterson lived on that road too. Bruce Lundgren and Roger Carlson were't far away either.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 161

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, just a quick note, the person that died at Gooseberry was from Cromwell.
Will respond more to your post about Paul Road later

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 162

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, back again. I remember Albin Anderson, if I am not mistaken they lived up the road on the south side, memory? they were single, or some were. Seems none were married though. Charlies was on the other side of the road, a little house.

Tootie, her and I were in Majorette's together, with Sandy Ness, and Joan Tatum(my class). Tootie lived where the Hollinday Family lives if I am not mistaken. I still am looking for a Majorette picture of us. Can't believe there isn't any in any albums.

Roger Carlson lived down on the McQuade Road, and Bruce Lundgren lived right on the corner, where the Paul, (which it wasn't called in my day, name I can"t recall) turns north onto the McQuade. His parents had the tavern up the road.

When you came off the Ryan to Paul road, on the right was the old Lutheran Church(Engleson's later years) then down the road on a little hill on the left was Morris and Sadie Oberg's house,(my dad loved to drive fast over this little hill, and laugh as my stomach left me) then just up the road a bit on the right we lived. Not long though, probably a couple years, then we moved up the McQuade Road down by Sucker River. Remember where the Goat Farm was? Hirch's lived up past the tavern a ways. There were two roads/driveways leading to homes down by the River on the other side of the Road. At one time, there was a deserted house between the two roads. Going down the first road, or I should say driveway , we passed an old bachelors home, NICK, farther on, right on the river we lived in Ivan's house, and there was a road/driveway that lead past another bachelors home "Little Charlie" and then a home owned by Eva and Joe...last name escapes me now.(this home was right on the Falls, called Eva's falls) We lived about 2 or so years in Ivans, moved to Eva's and lived about 2 or so years, then moved to Lundquists and lived about 3 or so years until we moved into our new home.

As a kid I used to play with Bruce Lundgren! He married Patti Sheldon. I remember being at Roger Carlson's house a couple times, and think it had something to do with Girl Scouts.

Anyone remember Kathy Wilson? They lived over by Tumionens(?)too lazy to look up the spelling. I was sitting in Firestone shop up by the Mall about 3 years ago, kept looking at this woman/ her, and listening to her talk. Finally I go to her, I think I know you, aren't you Kathy Wilson, sure enough.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM The Moose Club was across from the Agate hotel, American Legion was below the hotel. Sonju motor was were the Legion is now. Carol Anderson was two grades behind me. She worked at Johhnson drive inn also. Hilbert had a job as a watchman on DM&IR. I sold trout to him the summer between Jr&Sr year. Uncle M let me have two of his old nets, didn't amount to much. May have lasted a month. Carol A. was a nice looking gal. She was good friends with Nancy Johnson and a friend of Carol Berg. One day i'll post our 10th&11 grade fishing trip to Pelican Lake. I have to give our Jr. year some thought first. Warren do you remember the old log shack thar Uncle M and the guys built It was between Goody Creek and the logging trail, was in bad shape in our time.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the road was called the Anderson Road in those days. I stop and see Bruce Lundgren every summer I'm back there. I also receive visits from Ray Jackson. Ray and I chummed around together during our high school years. Last I saw Roger was at our 60 reunion. He lives down in Illinois. I saw Kathy Wilson last summer at the Coming Home party at the town hall. First time I had seen her since 60 or 61.

DAB, right you are. I had the two clubs switched around. Yes, I remember that shack up in the woods. It would be where Ray and Carol's place is now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 163

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, yes Anderson Road.

You mentioned Ray Jackson. I remember going to the Prom, had to be 61, it was down in Duluth. Ray would have been out of school, but for some reason I remember him being at this Prom. Coming back that night, him and his date, and who ever else was in his car, ended up almost in Lake Superior. Actually, I think he had passed us just past Brighton Beach, and you come onto a curve, well, all we could see was tail lights sticking up in the air, by that gulley there, the nose of his car downward!! Just down the road on the left side, is that motel type cabins, we drove there and told them to call for help. We then went back, and the guys directed traffic. I caught heck because I wasn't home at midnight the bewitching hour from my mother.

Maybe it wasn't Ray, but that is who I remember. Everytime we go by that spot, I remember seeing that car almost in the lake.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Ray and I still talk about that one. It was he. Dave Stadler from the lumber company and Darlene Nachtman (Lived with Mostroms) and a gal from Meadowlands, cheerleader last name of Fralich. It was a beautiful 58 Ford. Had purple flames over white and fast. It was raining and he lost control. Dang near went in the lake. So it was you that called for help. I don't think he knows that or remembers. I'll have to tell him when I see him this summer. Oh, that place with the cabins was Loneyville, owned by Jim Loney-friend of Carl and Ethel Anderson who owned the store next to the Balsam (Ryan) road.

m_johnson
Rookie Poster
Username: m_johnson

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I keep seeing references to a coming home party that is held at a town hall every year? Is this something related to a geogrphical area or clover vally school - or a family event ?? I found this site looking for people I knew at Clover Vally and/or North Shore Elementary. so far have found more out on this site than anywhere else - unfornatley not good news, but a step in the right direction.( one friend and the husband of a fiends sister have passed away) I thought maybe sometime this summer I would show up at French River Lutheran Church and see if I know anyone. Its only been 30 years!!!! Where all the time went I will never know.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M. Johnson, the Coming Home party is put on by the Homesteader's Senior Citizen Group which is composed of people from Duluth Township. It is usually the first weekend in August. It doesn't draw a real big group, I would say usually 50 to 75 people the times I've been there. But then the town hall isn't that big if you recall. It's an informal gathering which is really nice.

torggy

Post Number: 803

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always wondered why they named the place Looneyville:
looneyville 1
looneyville 2

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MADD MAXX,
IF I LEARNED MY MATH - AND READ ALL THE POSTING CORRECTLY YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THE CLASS OF 76???????
AND IF THAT'S CORRECT I WOULD HAVE BEEN 1 YEAR AHEAD OF YOU, WANT TO GIVE OUT ANY HINTS?????
I DON'T SEE ANYONE IN THE YEARBOOK THAT I HAVE FOR '71 NAMED MAXX OR THAT LOOKS MADD. CAN'T FIGURE OUT. }

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 164

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MJ, sorry that you haven't found out good news on this site, not the news you were looking for.
I'M with you, trying to figure out who Madd Maxx is, the mystery guy!

LWM, back in a post you mentioned Tim Lukkonen, he also was in my class, and should have graduated with us. Can't remember what year he left us. I used to know, but forgot over the years.

I remember Ray having a fancy car, and it was fast. Yes, we were the first on the scene of that accident.

Forgot about the pc's. Yes, that is the place we stopped at to make the phone call for help.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 17, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 165

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is out of the 1953 Clover Valley Echo, thought DAB you would enjoy reading this.

OUR PRIDE AND JOY
Our pride and joy this month is that tall sophmore lad, known to all of us as Art.

He stands 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs 160 pounds. He has dark brown hair and hazel eyes.

His favorite sport is basketball, and does very well at it. He also participates in baseball and track. Besides basketball he has many favorites, among these are favorite song: "Oh My Wonderful One", Actress: "Rhonda Fleming", Actor: "Audie Murhpy", movie: "Everything I Have Is Yours", car: Ford, subject: geometery.
His ideal girls would be BLOND and about five feet three inches tall.

Art's favorite pastime is playing canasta, and is usually found with DALE.

The Echo staff wishes you luck and salutes you ART TWADDLE.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 17, 2007)

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I saw Tim and his wife Joanne at Judy's in TH last April. I was home for my brother's funeral. Tim and his wife live east of Sacramento. Funny story, I was on business at a hospital where they live and I saw Joanne Lukkonen on an employee roster so I looked her up and had a nice chat. (I did know that they lived in the area I was in)Tim finished school in TH, I believe.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS-I think we all need to give Torggy a big round of applause for the job he is doing with this site. He comes up with all these pictures and information that is so interesting, educational as well. Great job, MT!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 166

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Agree LWM, torggy has done a great job.

Here is something from the 1948 Cloverette.

1948 basketball team

basketball stats

torggy

Post Number: 804

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks LWM, it has actually been fun. You guys have taught me so much about the CV area. It is somehow reasuring to hear all the old names again.

Ya know I never really had any need to be on the upper end of the McQuade road. Never knew there was a Tavern up there at one time. Blondie helped me to discover the map that comes with the "seeds of the Past" book and it has all those places marked and named. That tavern was named the Hobo Bar. I love old bars, wish there was a way I could go back and visit all the old bars that were in the area.

MJ, the French River Church has undergone a complete remodel and expansion. The place looks great but it really changed it. Someplace around here I have a picture but cannot put my hands on it right now. Last year while I was back home visiting the church had a out door hot dog feed. I had not attended a church function there in years but I found lots of people I knew. It was great! Also, the church has a round display that contains all the people that have ever been a member of the church. It was put away because of the remodeling going on but it is fun to look at. After the feed we walked the river up to the tracks. What a great afternoon!

The girl scouts and the Anderson Motel were mentioned. Found this picture with both from the early 50's
girl scouts
I was talking with my sister last night. She was looking on Google Earth and says you can still see a line of thinner trees going from Shorecrest up to the Old North Shore Road. My dial-up does not like Google Earth. Gonna have to do something about that, but I live in the sticks and have few options.

torggy

Post Number: 805

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! That is a great picture Blondie. Anyone remember who St. Jean was?

I think it was the Gym at Cotton that was so small. To bring the ball down the floor you had to take the ball down to the free throw line but you could play back to the middle line. When you sat on the sidelines your knees were in play. And there was a balcony behind the basket on one end. So when you went to shoot you were looking right into the eyes of the fans. Weird place to play basketball.

Here is a neat picture from 1929. It does not list who is in it though.
French River basketball team 1929

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the update on the the church, Torggy, now I really need to go, I was confirmed at frech river lutheran and my wife and I were married their in 1976. My parents continued to go to church their even after we moved to Pequaywan Lake until they moved to Phoenix. Somewhere around the house, in with the china we got for our wedding is a porcelin plate with the picture of what I assume is the original church. Imagine that, 30 some odd years and I still havn't got anything up to show off her plate collection -

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

St. Jean was up on 4th street not far from Duluth East. Holy Rosary Church is part of that. Also, in those days there was a girl's high school at St. Scholastica called Stanbrook Hall.

Torggy, the gym you are referring to was probably alborn. Brookston was the little cubby hole gym. You hardly had room for a chair along the sides. Lots of dead spots on the floor. You could dribble the ball and sometimes it wouldn't come back up again! The photo of the French River Softball team is interesting. Notice the guy with the necktie in the back row. I recognize one of the players. Front Row, second from the right is Rudy Anderson, lived just above the church. In fact his wife still lives there. He was a good softball player.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the Moose is still operating. I guess the building has been for sale for awhile. They just put the sign out recently.

I saw your uncle Howard in the picture of the 1948 basketball team and several others I recognized. I wonder if Howard has that picture or did you get it from him?

torggy

Post Number: 806

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I played Alborn and Brookston had already combined to make Albrook and it was one of the nicest gyms and locker rooms we visited. I even went with one of the Albrook cheerleaders for awhile. Talk about consorting with the enemy,eh?

The gym I was talking about was either Cotton or Cherry but to hear that there were others like it is interesting.

That French River team is the 1929 Basketball team. My fault for not posting that.

st patricks day

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M Johnson, did you live on Greenwood road? I don't have the 71 year book. I was a dumb 7th grader what the hell I knew about yearbooks. Did your folks have a place on the west side of Pequaywan Lake? As for my real person, I haven't had any one really ask but since I have share a story or two. The Streak! I don't want to be incriminated or incriminate anyone else. Cheerio said she was scarred from the Streaker}

I still have a story or two I could tell. Like having a taste of Colt 45 at Northshore while in the 6th grade. See what all you upper classmen missed. A small group of us crowded around this guys locker during a break. Some of us took a sip. The youngman who brought the beer, I will not name. For all involved we know who that was. Then it was back to Mr. Carlson's class. The following year we learn the "Give A Cheer" song. The unoffical school song. Madd Maxx is my alter ego. I have posting for a while on the web page and never have registered and now it is more out of principle that I still don't register. I guess I have a shot of being the longest running wind bag on these pages. I do like to laugh at myself from time to time. There is only one person knows who I am for sure. I know my identity will come out some day, since our classes and school wasn't that large. Even those who post I know, I haven't shared any stories about them. I haven't really began to tell any stories as of yet. I just am waiting for the right time. So many that could be shared but I will wait for the right segway.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 167

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, we knew the Moose was still operating, as relatives go there for Sunday Breakfast, and we see a few vehicles parked there when we go downtown. But, just so surprised to see this massive FOR SALE sign and it is massive.

I remember hearing about Stanbrook Hall.

My uncle Bob gave me his yearbook of 1947-48 and that Basketball pix, and info was in there. I have no idea if Howard has this picture or not or even the yearbook.

Torggy where do you find these pictures?

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 704

Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx, were you graduating from 7th grade in '71? Me too! You must have graduated from THHS in '76 then?
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx
Lived on Greenwood
Moved to West branch Rd (west side of Peqaywan)
obviously you knew me, knew of me or my parents.
we had a cabin and a house - about 2 blocks apart on the same side of the lake, From the dock at the cabin you could see the house..

STORIES????
I HEARD ABOUT THE STREAKER INCIDENT AFTER I WAS GONE, WISH I HAD BEEN THERE.
I ALSO REMEMBER A FIRE UNDER THE STAGE FROM SOME UPPERCLASSMEN SMOKING THERE BECAUSE IT WAS TOO COLD OUTSIDE,
BUT STORIES COME OUT MUTCH BETTER WHEN YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT, I HATED THE DUCK WALK I GOT ONE TIME,FOR SMOKING, I HATED EVEN MORE WHEN I WAS ALLOWED TO "VOLUNTEER" TO HELP OUT IN THE LUNCHROOM FOR A MONTH. I ONLY WISH I COULD REMEBER WHY NOW.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WEBMAN,
were you always a TH person or did you get transfered from Clover Valley

torggy

Post Number: 807

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie the last two pictures were from " The Book" Roots of the past. It is so nice that "The Book" has a spiral binding. Allows you to get it on the scanner real easy. I wonder about copy rights though.

I should go back and find the streaker story and repost it.

webman

Post Number: 705

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always a TH person - so I don't know any good CV stories, but I sure enjoy reading them here. I recognize lots of names and places though.

My only claim to Clover Valley is that my late step-dad graduated from there in 1939.

valleygirl
Rookie Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was gone a week and took half the morning to catch up! Going back to Phil Langlois, he was raised in the TH and Knife River area by his Mom and Paul Drake, husband. His real father is Ray Jarvis, from Grand Marais. That corvette crowd was the TOPS during the 60's and 70's. Phil lives in Florida now and returns to Illinois in the summer. He had a place in Wisconsin. Tim Lukkonen, Kenny Holmes, Jack Neylon, Jim Weideman all had the vets. I remember Tim getting on the bus for the first time, and asking the bus driver to please take him to Clover Valley school. I think it was the only year he went there. Then transferred to TH. He was sooooooooooo good looking. Does anyone remember their street names? All had nicknames and I laugh remembering. Seems to me that John McQuade was with LVM and others that I can't remember names for that rolled over 2 Chevelles when racing in Larsmont. No one was hurt seriously.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 168

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valleygirl, I know Phil Langlois, took care of his mother. He was a hair dresser if I am not mistaken. Seemed every summer he would come up during the summer and visit his mom, he always had some sporty older car. I didn't know his father was Ray Jarvis, where does Langlois name come into play? Believe Phil has a couple daughters.

Yes, Tim L was really good looking, and he was real smart also.

Webman does your mom still live in Henderson?

webman

Post Number: 706

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure does. She absolutely loves it there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 169

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1948 commencement

diploma

cover to diploma

these were from 1948. The diploma came in the Saint Louis County manila type folder.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl and Blondie, if you saw a turqoise and white 56 Ford Crown driving around TH last summer that was Phil and his wife. And John McQuade is the name of the person we were racing. Ruined two very nice Chevelles. I'm glad mine was home in the garage! It's funny, all these years I've known Jim W. he didn't realize that I was one of the people in that wreck. If it weren't for 3 or so feet of snow on the ground I think the outcome would have bee different. The snow was a cushion. Like I said before, when we finally quit rolling I was totally tangled up. For those of you that don't know me, I'm 6'6", 230lbs and all legs!!! I was able to kick the door open on the passenger side to get out. Got my shoes full of snow too!!!! One of those evenings one would rather forget. We weren't even teenagers so I can't use that excuse!

valleygirl
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil married Deb Puente. They did have 2 daughters. Long divorced now. Didn't anyone else use the trap door above the band practice room to go up on the roof at CV? Help me remember Mr. Mostrom.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Mostrom arrived at CV when I went into the 4th grade which would have been the fall of 1951. His wife was Betty, Sons Bob, Carl, and Tim. Darlene Nachtman also lived with them. They left and went to Toivola Meadowlands during my highschool years, probably in 57 or 58. Al Ness replaced him as principal. I mentioned previously I ran into Mr. Mostrom at St. Scholastica. He was the Dean of Education. He and Betty also attended the reunion around 7 or 8 years ago. We had party of the activity at North Shore School and they attended that. Mr. Mostrom was famous for his map game. He would call out a town or city and we would have to find it on a US map. Was lots of fun and we learned alot! Wendover, Nevada was his favorite. Every time I drive thru there now, I think of him. Wendover is on I-80 on the Utah border. Just west of the Bonneville salt flats (80 miles of the most boring driving you'll ever experience)!Mostrom's lived in the teacherage farthest away from the school. Mrs. Wilmunem lived in a mobile home next to them, and Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were in the other teacherage. Later on, Vernon Eilola had a mobile home between the school and Johnson's. I remember one time we had a softball team, this is after I was out of highschool and we'd practice there. We were terribly disorganized and everyone showed up but no bats! I saw Mr. Eilola was home so I went over and knocked on the door, he answered and I said "Do you have an old bat or two we can use? Just as I said it I noticed Mrs. laying on the couch-I won't mention what he said or what she said but it was one of those moments you would just as soon not have happen!!!Oh well, such is life in the fast lane!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 170

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I am confused here, was it Phil Langely or Phil Langlois that picked you up that time after the accident?

Valleygirl here is a picture of Mr. Mostrom from 1955 year book.
Mr. Mostrom

(Message edited by Blondie on March 18, 2007)

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 726

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't John McQuade own that famous cabin resort and restaurant just past Silver Creek Cliff going north on Hwy. 61???

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 171

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bassman, yes that is right. It was called Halycon Harbor,(sp?) which is no longer, it is tore down. He married Mary Ann App(Peterson), she was married to Bill who died. Diane Libby is married to Bill's brother.

I think the cabins are still there, but someone else owns them now from my understanding.

Nice to see you posting again Bassman.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M Johnson I had a hard time remembering who you were. The years that have slipped by doesn't help. I can only remember two things off the top of my head. I had to come to your house to pick up light bulbs to sell for scouts. The other was that cold weekend sleeping up at your cabin for a scout outing. I think your day starting the heater. Going snowmobiling that weekend. The snow was deep that year.

Webman, yes I did finish my school years at the old jail on the top of the hill. I ran my fair share of Zingers on the hill. I did have that computer class in school. Writing the program to flip a coin ten times and report your results. To sign on to the computer, you would dial up a phone number and put the handset into that modem. If you had some free mods you could play Oregon Trail or Lunar Lander. That is a far cry from these units we use today.

Blondie that was a slow dial up.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 172

Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is funny the old jail...actually tourists used to ask my husband when he worked, "is that a jail on top of the hill". Wonder how many times he heard that over the years!!! He would go, sure the kids think it is!

Didn't have computers in my days. Yes, just think, they have come a long ways. Interesting how you had to dial up back in the old days Maxx!!!

I am sure that was slow dial up.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx.
You don't do yourself justice, Your memory is way better than mine. I had long forgotten about the light bulbs. I do remember the weekend at the cabin. I don't know if you were with at the other scout outing - when we went camping at the public campground at Bear Lake, It rained from 1/2 hour after we set up until we went home and when we tried to leave the road in was flooded by the Cloquet River and the adults had to drive through the water to get out... I think that was about the end of scouts.

Do you still live in the area?

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spending that rainy night in my pup tent was rather damp. I remember that road flooding. We made a few trips up there during scouts. Several years ago I took a drive up to Bear Lake. It looks like a party place. The state closed the campground there. Scouts continued there were some more hairy trips on some outings. I still live in Duluth. I will take an drive out in the valley every now and then. I still hunt up there in the fall with my brothers. I wasn't in town when Torggy was up, maybe next time he is here I will be around for a drink. Torggy is doing a great job with this page and I know he gets the help he needs from Webman when needed. Those who work on any of these pages give of their selves. Like the other pages off the TH forum. Class of 79 (Deb) and Class of 82 (Sorry I don't know who) These people who work to keep the conection with their classmates need a pat on their backs.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 173

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used to camp at Bear Lake, had lots of fun there.
Remember one weekend, three of my husbands sisters and families joined us up there.

We also took a drive in there back a couple years ago. It was in the fall.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy - I just scanned a picture that I would like to include in a message but I'm having some trouble trying to make it into a picture file. It's in MS Word right now. Can you tell me what I do next?

valleygirl
Rookie Poster

Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, You can use the paint program if you have no other graphics. Copy the picture from msword. Open paint and paste it. Save it as a jpg or jpeg to save as picture file.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - thank you. I'll give that a try.

torggy

Post Number: 810

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it must be in JPG format and smaller than 400x600. I use MGI Photosuite but paint or most other photo programs would work also.

How ya doing with attaching it to your message? Keep trying you'll get it. Looking forward to seeing what you have.

Here is the discription from the back of a Fish Fry post card:
fish fry discription
Did ya notice the "serving no beer" part? Guess it seemed important at the time. How about the Golf and riding nearby part? I remember an old driving range down by the Pumping station but where was the riding?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 174

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not unless they meant golf down at Lester River, never heard of any place to golf around the area. But maybe LWM does. Trying to remember where the riding was at, seems to me there was some stable's.

I know between Larsmont and Homestead Road, we used to go riding at some stables located in that area. But I am sure this is not the ones that was referred to on that PC.

Your kidding, there was an old driving range by the pumping station, where was that torggy?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, yes, there was a driving range just east of where the RV park was, east of the pumping station. We used to go down there and pick range balls.

Horse back riding was probably at the Barless' place. Up the McQuade, across the railroad tracks and straight ahead. Cynthia Barless used to post on the site. Maybe she is reading this and can respond. That would have been the closest that I know. We used to haul horse manure from there for my aunt's garden. DAB, you probably remember this. IN the trunk of a brand new 57 Mercury!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 175

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy Barless, if it is the same one I am thinking of,(she didn't go to CV), her and I used to do e-mail via meeting on Classmates.com. I lost her e-mail address. I know she loved horses, had pictures on her website. Gosh, I hope she does check this out again, as don't know her username.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the help of our computer tech I was able to scan this picture to jpg. I doubt I could do it again tho. But here it is. Peggy Callen, Ralph Campbell and Hilbert Johnson inside Johnson's Drive Inn last day of school after graduation 1967.Johnson's Drive Inn

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the stables you might be talking about were up suicide hill in Knife River. There was also riding just up the Berquist Road past the Missile Base. I seem to think, also, that the Chaffee place had riding too. I might be wrong on that one, but it would fit with the Fish Fry as it was right between there and the Castle. Nice picture of the Drive Inn. I started there peeling potatoes in a machine I had never seen before. LOL, it whirled them until the peels came off from the friction. I think I made $.35 an hour! Went from there to the Ranch House. That pay was responsible for my great white go-go boots.

torggy

Post Number: 812

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome picture of Johnson's Drive Inn!!

A few more trys and you well be an expert Boon.

This thread has gotten to long and it is time to close it. It is so much fun to have all of you posting. Lets hear something from all you lurkers out there too

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration