Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Gone Fishing < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 811

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

gone fishing 1
gone fishing 2
gone fishing 3

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 176

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My uncles name Dick Abrahamson was mentioned in that story. I know my uncle loved to fish.
here is a picture of him and Dick James in 1950-51 at Wilson Lake
wilson lake
my uncle is on the right, Dick James is on the left.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 20, 2007)

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 26

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie - How are you related then to Gail Abrahamson? I remember her from Class of 62 I think. I think she graduated with an Olmstead and Anderson - well, some names are coming to me. Anyway, what is she doing now?

torggy

Post Number: 813

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure what she is doing but, but I do know that Gail lives not far from me here in NW Washington state.

Any more pictures of Johnson's Drive Inn? I really liked the last one. I spent much of my paper route money sitting on those stools.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 177

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valleygirl, yes, up Suicide hill, that is where we went riding. We were just talking about our horse riding days the other day, riding up there, my last time, when the horse my husband was riding(he was an excellent rider incidentally) jumped over a small creek up there...I was behind, mine decided not to jump, stopped instead, I went head over tea kettles...that was it!!!!
Don't ever recall any on the Berquist road area, but will ask my uncle.

Really Chaffee place down by the lake, interesting. John Chaffee graduated with me. Wasn't their house real skinny, sort of odd shaped in a sense? Or am I thinking of someone elses home? John was at the 60's reunion and I did not recognize him, one or two of his sisters was there also.

May I ask what year did you start working at the Drive Inn?

Say Madd Maxx, I went back today and read all your stories of your streaking, interesting!!

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't streak Blondie. I still can see the jaws drop on the teachers during the Steak.

I liked the pizza burgers at Johnson's Drive Inn.
Those guys who would do burn ours/sqeal their tires when leaving. Jim Brown's yellow Mustang. I think Zeke after being in the service came home with a Vet.

Suicide Hill? I never heard that name for a place in the Valley.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 178

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

darn maxx, now you ruined it, you weren't the streaker!!! Reading your posts I had this visual picture in my mind, and I am sure everyones mouths dropped that didn't know about it. So funny!!

Yes, Suicide Hill, it is that road that goes north there on the freeway by knife river. It is steep and sharp curve. Sure there is a story behind the name.

Last winter we took a drive up there, as heard parcels of land were being sold off, up a ways on the right hand side. Talk about beautiful back in there, and what a view some of those parcels have of the valley and the lake. At that time, there was one home being built. Will have to drive up there this summer, and see how many homes have gone up.

Boon, Gail was the class of 63, one year behind me.

torggy

Post Number: 815

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't the old Knife River dump used to be up there somewhere?

Here is an old picture:
pumping station ice fountian

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a wonderful picture,Torggy. Awesome, actually. Is the Lakewood Pumping Station on Hwy 61 on the left as you are going to Duluth? Parallel to the Old North Shore Road? That's the image in my mind, anyhow.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, Gail Abrahamson lives and works in Montana. John Nylen says she is at Glacier National Park. He has stopped and visited with her on his trips across country.

I forgot to mention Claude Midlams hay rides and sleigh rides. We did several of them. He had a Dodge Power Wagon (Red) and a long trailer which he'd fill with hay.

The old Chaffee house is just east of the Beachway Motel.

The old driving range discussed yesterday or whenever was called "The Hook and Slice Clinic". A vivid description of my golf game!

Truscott's had a riding stable also on the Korkki Road, in the old Ratkovich place. It was the Diamond something or something Diamond Ranch.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 179

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I asked my friend Jane about the riding stables on the Berquist. She said, there was, but it was after we left the area. She said her sister knew the people. Guess it was only there for about 8 years.(correction, it was there until about 8 years ago) Where though? I don't recall seeing one, if I did, din't pay much attention to it.
Merle Truscott was in my class, but didn't graduate with us. One of the Truscotts, think it was Bill married Alice Swartz.(they lived at one time over on the Lismore) Think Ken has the real estate business. Old Ratkovich place, isn't that the first house on the hill there going east, the farm? I remember a couple used to live in the other smaller house, her name was Lillian...Lane I think? Know my uncle Richard was good friends of theirs.

Never heard of "Hook and Slice Clinic".

(Message edited by Blondie on March 21, 2007)

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Duluth Pumping station use to have a drinking fountain in that wayside rest. The old building looked like an castle like. The few times I rode my bike to Lakeside, I would stop to get a drink of water. Later they had to build the new building acrossed the highway to take out the abestos from Silver Bay taconite plants tailings.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - I know where you are talking about now.

torggy

Post Number: 816

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, perhaps I got the wrong Abrahamson. Royal Abrahamson's sister lives in Marysville Washington. I thought her name was Gail.

Max, Kenny Johansen and I used to ride our bikes into town 14, 15 times a summer. That fountian by the pumping station was a very welcome stop on a hot day.

One day we were there getting a drink and this big dusty car with Texas plates rolled in. There was a big guy behind the wheel. He pulls up to Kenny and I and in a voice with a Texas accent bellows out the question " can you boys tell me how to find Lake Superior"? I was kinda tongue tied as I figured it was kinda hard to miss right there but Kenny being a little quicker of mind than me tells him "yes sir, just follow this road (hwy 61) for one hundred miles. It well be on your right. Ya can't miss it." "Thank ye" the big guy said and the car roared out in a cloud of dust and was gone. We always wondered how long it took him to realize what that big body of water on his right for the next hundred miles was.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 180

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy that story is way too funny!

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great, Torggy.....

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, LWM How many of you guys had skating parties at the French river dam. We had several of them our jr.& sr. year. Big bon fire on the bank. Our favorite game was crack the whip. We swam it and if we had a lot of rain the high water would bring down a lot of sand & gravel and fill in a lot of it. Does Bruce Johnson still live in Ely? I am sure he would have computer. check on it LWM your the man to find out.

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had every party there was to have at the dam. I think we lived there in the summer months from the time I was 5 and could sneak away to go swimming. I remember swimming with an otter in the dam and having a ball. He left after about a week, but couldn't wait to get up and get over there to see if he still wanted to play. We would jump off the tarzan swing on the bank and he would slide down the hill. Back and forth. Smart animal. That experience was a gift as I look back at it now. Hated it when they drained the dam. Had to swim with the little kids. I also remember going swimming one year on the last day of school. A few of us got off the bus there and went up to the crazy pond. Slid down the ice still on the falls and into the pond. Had a ball. Always wondered why they called that the crazy pond.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Swimming at the Dam was a good way to cool off during the summer. I don't remember what year this happen but a scary incident happen one time at the dam. Being one of youngsters, I was keeping out of the way. A large group of teens were there enjoying the day. A few girls were sunning themselves near the dam. The older guys decided to start to throw some of the girls into the water. Of course they (the girls) wanted only to sun. Girls were flying into the water when a couple of guys grabbed Sue Ruberg. Sue was telling them she can't swim. The guys didn't believe her and still tossed her in the deep part of the water. All you saw was bubbles coming up and no Sue. Cheryl (her sister) told them that Sue couldn't swim. The guys started to dive in to find Sue. I am not sure who brought Sue to the surface. Sue was coughing up water. Let's just say Sue was as pissed off as I had ever saw anyone. She was screaming at the guys who tossed her in. I don't remember seeing anyone toss another person in again that summer. That day really could had been a bad day but it did turn out OK.

torggy

Post Number: 817

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We spent whole days swimming at the dam. From first light till dark. Sometimes we even slept there and swam at night or even during thunder storms. There were even "his and hers" trails to seperate changing areas. Used to climb up on the "bars" to dive in. Thank goodness I have no stories to tell like Max. All my memories from the dam are great! We were so blessed to have such a great place so close to home.

Any one got any pictures of the Dam?

John Nylen managed to pull himself away from the NCAA basketball games long enough to set me straight Gail is the oldest and lives in Montana. It is Paula that lives here in Washington state. Thanks John! I blame the beer I was drinking at the last reunion for my mistake. John is the source of knowledge that LWM goes to when he has a question. Wish we could get him to tell us a few stories

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 181

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Gail is not the oldest. Joan is, then comes Susan who graduated 61, a year ahead of me, Gail one year behind, so that makes it 63 for her, then there is Paula and Royal. I think Royal is the youngest.
Paula was in the class of 66.
Joan as far as I know lives in Bemidji. Royal was at my cousin Jim's daughters graduation party last summer, so know he is still in the Duluth area.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 23, 2007)

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, LWM, come on in here and straighten this out...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 182

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valleygirl, love your outhouse!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, Joan is the oldest. Graduated in 59. Blondie has the age order correct. Nice family. Roy A. was the "gentle giant". Hazel also a great lady. You always walked away with a smile on your face or laughing when you walked away from Hazel!

I can't make an excuse for my cousin John, that's what 20 years in the Coast Guard will do! Go easy on him, Torggy!!! I know he reads this so it's my chance to get in a dig!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I missed something in your message, Torggy. John N. is my source of information??? I'll discuss that with him Saturday morning! Gotta straighten that boy out!!!!

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photos of the Dam? Hjamlers? I will have to spend a day taking photos. I had already planned to hit Hjamlers and maybe the old bridge if still on the French below the railroad bridge. I better water proof my boots and hope for a nice day like today. I will try to get these photos. Any other request from all who out of the Valley?

torggy

Post Number: 818

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bridge below the tracks is gone. It was dynamited out years ago. You can still barely see where the old orginal Balsam road was. New pictures of the dam would be great, thanks Max. I wonder if anyone has any from the old days.

Boy, I have been straightened out on the Abrahamsons. Royal was a Fire Chief in the lakewood area for years. I never got to meet Roy. He passed away before I moved into the area. Hazel was a real character. Royal had a 52 or 53 chevy with a wing on the trunk for years. It made a real statement.

LWM are you visiting the great northwest? Actually I was getting the dig in at you LWM. John seems to be where you go when you can't answer the question

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 183

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't worry about the confusion torggy, where the Abrahamson's are concerned. But, when I read that post, I am going, no way! I grew up with them and knew better.

I can't remember what year it was, but us girls had to run around the field, don't even know if it was a track field or not, behind the school? Had to do so many loops around. The top finishers was Susan and then me!!! I was so darn proud of myself!

Gail and I were in girl scouts together.

Both Roy and Hazel were great people, just great!!

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Blondie. Outhouse taken at Ely's winter festival. Reminded me of the old days. Shiver remembering walking out to the old outhouse. Used to swallow pennies or nickels (very expensive back then) so Mom would have to check if they came back out just so I wouldn't have to walk out there. Look, I was very little, and very creative. It didn't work for long. (I know, "Thank you for sharing that.") I also remember the iceman delivering in the summer and all of us chasing him down the road for a chip of ice to suck on. Nice treat. Didn't take much to entertain us back then.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 184

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No kidding, it didn't take much to entertain kids did it. I can remember when we lived in Duluth the ice man coming, also there was an ice cream man that came around, us kids in the housing project loved that.

I was talking to someone the other day, about growing up with no indoor plumbing(did have that luxury when we lived in town though), and this person said, it is hard to believe that it was like that then. Maybe someone in their 80's, but not 60's!! Now when I stop to think about it, yes, that is hard to believe.

We always had a pail in the porch or some where for night use. One time my mother told me to dump this pail, I had to walk through snow...you guessed it, I fell, you guessed it all over me!! Guess who never had to do that again!!! This I know, going to the outhouse, you certianly didn't see men sitting there reading in the winter, or much in the summer either!!!
Catalogs were the only paper.
What a wonderful subject we have gotten onto isn't it...well, that is how it was back in those days.

Up the Drummond Line, this guy had a shack close to the road, and his outhouse was facing the road also. If you happened by, when he was sitting there with the door open, imagine he needed the fresh air, he would wave as you drove by!!!

torggy

Post Number: 819

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We didn't have indoor plumbing till I was 8 years old. Getting the water in was not so hard but getting rid of it was work. Dad dug a whole septic system by hand. The hole for the tank was huge and he built concrete forms right in the hole. Then mixing the concrete on site filled the forms. The first lid he built broke when it was lifted to be placed on top. Had to do it all over again. Later when that house burned we took the old shower base and it is now in the basement shower of my parents present home. Weird how much of life in the old days revolved around plumbing. Taken for granted today.

Ever stop at this place?
toms logging camp

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 185

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my dad also dug his own septic tank system. Actually came across a picture of him the other day, down in that big hole digging.

Yes, been there a couple times to Tom's logging camp. They used to have rides through the woods, and my grandma and I did that. Don't think they have anything like that anymore. A couple years ago we stopped in again, couldn't find anything interesting.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I figured Mr. Nylen put you up to that one. I will probably be coming up that way again on my way to MN.

Time for another golf outing with Creig Sundstrom and his son and brothers.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used to walk to Tom;s Logging on break at Shorewood Terrace. Went there with my sister a couple of summers age. I still like their shoes! They are my favorite now.

torggy

Post Number: 820

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'v heard others say they liked the shoes there. What kind are they?

Shorewood Terrace? Was that a motel/cabin court across the street from Tom's? Just down the road from Sullivans?

One more shot of Tom's:
tome logging interior

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shorewood was between the motel and Schroeders. It was west of Toms. We had some great summer parties there. The shoes are Minnetonkas. Used to by my moccasins there when in high school.

torggy

Post Number: 821

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I do not remember that area very well. What was Shorewood then and what hotel?

I know Sullivans lodge was just down the street:
sullivans lodge

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone have life stories from day to day life activities that we may share with family, friends and or other people. What is hard is to ask Grandparents and parents to share some of the stories. We also share the more exciting stories but what are often forgotten are the day to day things. Blondie story of falling with the bucket for the outhouse is great day to day story which could easily forgotten back in Blondie’s head.

Reading the book “Roots of the past” has been interesting. Life for those years ago and could be forgotten. I have had habit or the opportunity while working to find some personal threads to the past. The 1962 year book just happens to be the first and is more connected to this site. I did find a post card while cleaning out a house before it was to be torn down. The post card was dated during World War 1. A Duluth man serving in Europe had an Army issued post card. This man wrote his parents back in Duluth and mailed it from overseas. I found the post card in the basement of this house. I was pulling some old curtain rods from above the old wooden main beam. The card fell. The name was a last name of someone who worked with my wife. Long story short, her grandfather wrote the post card to his parents. I would guess her Great Grandfather saved the card but stored the card up under the basement. The family got a small piece of family history back.

I know this has nothing to do with life out in the valley. I just want those who maybe living in home in the valley could find such things. One never knows what one could find in an old house or garage.

I am off for a drive, maybe to check on the Dam.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where do you live, Madd Maxx? Are you in Duluth or the CV area, French River?

I remember Tom's Logging Camp well as it is not far from my parents house. I'd come back to visit and go buy moccasins as well.

Before Dad winterized our house the pipes would freeze. We'd have to go down to the lake, cut a hole in the ice and bring up buckets of water to heat for bathing, washing dishes, cooking meals and flushing the toilet. We all jumped for joy when he finally insulated the pipes! No basement on the "rock" so he had very little space under the house to do the job but he did it. The following year we put a well in which made a major difference.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I live in Duluth. I took my trip out to French River. I took some photos near the Dam. I also went to Hjalmer's. The shaded areas in the woods were very icy. The fog was also a problem. I did walk down to the lake. I went on the rock on the outside of Hjalmer's break wall. I am not sure if any family memember would know this. Hjalmer had chiseled his initals in the rock just above the water line. I tried to take a photo of his initals which were still there. I also used Hjalmer's chisel and hammered in my own initals. The ice may had been covering my own initals. I took several photos of the break wall which had been vitimize by some youths and spray paint. The old model T or A engine that ran his dredging machine, it looks like it could run if new plugs were installed. I couldn't find the old hand crank that was used to start that. Torggy, I will email you those photos. Seeing what is left there sure brings back memories of that old engine motoring along as he would dredge out his harbor.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I spoke with Chief Warrant Officer Nylen over the weekend and I must confess I knew what he was saying about the Abrahamson family. He meant of the two living out our way, Gail was the older of the two. I couldn't resist jumping on the bandwagon and teasing him a little bit! Actually, that class of 63 was a smaller one and they were quite close. Ted Thompson, Mike Anderson from the P. Lake area, Don Shelhon, Gail, Nancy Heino, Marie Hill, Kathy Ratkovich, etc.

Maxx, was the Wonderland Tavern there in your day? We had lots of good times at that place during my "Steamin" days as we called it in the Navy. I knew the Noyes family quite well. Ed worked at the Steel Plant in Morgan Park where I spent 7 years before being drafted. Many of us more senior folks parents met at either the Wonderland or Forrest Inn during WWII.

Madd Maxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM both were still in operation. Noyes sold to Tom Walker and the Wonderland Tavern was renamed Walkers Inn. I believe in 1974 it burned to the ground. I know many of the locals would had hung out at both places. I have even run into old times from Duluth who would make the trip out there on the weekends for something to do.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the topic is "Gone Fishin'", I thought I would send just one item to cover it. (I took the liberty of cleaning it up a little for publishing.)
WOMAN'S POEM
Before I lay me down to sleep,I pray for a man, who's not a creep,
One who's handsome, smart and strong.One who loves to listen long,
One who thinks before he speaks,One who'll call, not wait for weeks.
I pray he's gainfully employed,When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door, Massages my back and begs for more.
Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind, Knows what to answer to "how big is my behind?"
I pray that this man will love me to no end, and always be my very best friend.
MAN'S POEM
I pray for a deaf-mute who owns a bar on a golf
course, and loves to send me fishing and hunting.
This doesn't rhyme and I really don't give a rat's ***.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 729

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You all bring back some wonderful memories even though I didn't go to CVHS. I remember the Sullivans metal gate to their property off old Hwy. 61 on the the way to Duluth. I was best friends with Mike Sullivan in Duluth East Side and his uncle owned that property. I never got to go in there, but wish I had.

madd_maxx
Rookie Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is Hjalmers break wall taking from the lakeside. I helped mixed the concrete for the upper part of the wall. The lower part had been in place for years.

torggy

Post Number: 822

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Max, I see ya figured out how to post pictures. I knew ya had it in ya. Looks like there was allot of ice. The old wall looks to be standing up okay. The lake is tough on things, even the old Blue Bird dock has all but vanished over the years. The old Model A engine is still there? Wow, wish I had walked down there last time home.
Max sent me this picture of Hjalmers old initials carved into the wall. Max said the letters were kinda hard to see in the picture and he had to enhance them a little.
jhalmer initials

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy - Blondie - Just wanted to let you know that my Phillips 66 thermometer came in. It doesn't work but that's OK. I bought it on emotion and that's what really matters. It's in great shape and has the O and N Fuel on it. The N stands for Naslund but I have forgotten what the O stands for. At anyrate, thank you, Torggy for letting me know it was available.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy - question....I changed my picture to something else yesterday and when I go into profile the new picture is uploaded but when I post the same picture from before shows up. What do I need to do?

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Torggy, I just refreshed this page and up came the new picture. Don't know why it didn't show up when I posted the message, but, the problem is solved. If you had a hand in the correction, I thank you very much.

(It's strange how it affects all of the previous posts as well. I first noticed this when Blondie made a change.)

(Message edited by boon on March 27, 2007)

madd_maxx
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Torggy, to be able to post photos, I needed to be a member. So I join instead of being a pain in your butt and having you post the photos. Here is a photo that shows the top of the break wall at Hjalmers.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you repeat again where Hjalmers is? I just don't recall the name at all. Thank you.

madd_maxx
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjalmer Mattson lived between French River and Schmitt Creek. He was more close to Schmitt Creek.

madd_maxx
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a photo of Clover Valley I took right after the fire.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That picture really makes me cringe madd_maxx. I remembered all my old classes and then had a chuckle. Mr. Anderson's lab finally burned after countless years of students who almost did it. Had Ms. Murphy for drivers ed. in the room behind the tree. Had Mr. Lindquist for English in the room right above the do not enter sign. Heavy sigh. The typing room downstairs is where we also worked on the yearbook.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That must have been going toward the Talmadge. Is that right?

Boy, it's hard to see the school this way.

Appreciate you sharing.

madd_maxx
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Boon since I didn't give you the compass directions. French River is to the west of Hjalmers and Schmitt Creek was to the east. Schmitt Creek was on the west side of the Wonderland Resort.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 707

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the O of O&N was Omtevedt.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

torggy

Post Number: 823

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad ya got thermometer Boon. You are now a Ebay vetern.

Looking in the 1958 TH phone book it would appear that Fred Omtvedt was associated with Standard oil and that O&N were with Phillips 66. It does not say what the O or the N stood for.
standard ad
phillips ad
Hjlamers was almost right below Alperts motel. You would not know it was there if you had not been shown. The Mattson family settled there before there were roads I believe. The place is one of the few protected areas on the north shore and Hjalmer built a neat harbor and house there.

Max, love the picture of the breakwall with the ice in the backround. Thanks!

torggy

Post Number: 824

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did not know some had not seen pictures of the school after it burnt. Thanks for showing the one Max.

Here is one from another angle:
school burnt

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll check with Dad today on the O in O and N.

My gosh, this is the shell of the old section? Is this the side of the entrance? (And to the left of the picture is the entrance?)

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a photo of the boat that Hjalmer built. I still remember walking on board this boat with Hjalmer. The right poontoon side had an Oldsmobile V8 engine in it. I forget what motor was in the other side.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness - very creative, Maxx. When I come home (either April or May) I'm going to check out some of these places you've been talking about.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 186

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See lots of activity the last few days.
Monday we went down to Wisconsin Dells, 83 above. Motel room had a balcony, and guess where I headed, with a nice cold beer!!
Tuesday the temp was 57, not bad, but a cold wind. We walked over to Denny's to eat supper, and wouldn't you know it, it started to rain after we got there.
Temp this morning was in the 40's. We ran into heavy rain and the highest we saw was 47....but couldn't believe the temps here, 33!!!!
When we went down, we stopped in Bloomer(wisc) for gas $2.57, today we paid $2.69!!!
Nice to get away for a few days, and check out the Dell's, spent our honeymoon there, and believe you me, it is nothing like we remember it. Guess what, neither are we!!!!!!!!!

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talked with an oldtimer and he thought the O in O&N stood for Olson or Olsen, but could be wrong. He just thought it sounded right.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Dam

March 26th was warm but foggy. I made the drive up to the Ryan road. I pulled into the church's parking lot. I know many kids had made the trip from the Greenwood road to the dam this way. The snow in the woods had settled down but there was lots of ice. I could hear the water pouring over the dam. The trip was far shorter than I remember making as a youth. When I got to the top of the hill, I could see the water dumping over the edge. Since it was too icy to walk down, I only took a couple photos from the top of the hill.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more dam photo from Monday.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hard to believe that a few weeks ago we had a blizzard. Here is a photo I took of Park Point the Sunday following the storm.

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx,
thanks for the pictures, After living in the twin cities for almost 30 years and seeing landscape change in weeks around here, It's nice to know that some things haven't changed. I drove down Greenwood Road a year or 2 ago and was suprised that it still was a dirt road. I recognized a few names on the mail boxes, but I guess I assumed that he path to the dam was probably grown over. I remeber seeing a lot more fencing around the hatchery property than I remebered when I was a kid. I guess I just figured that they probably fenced it all off. I am going to have to check it out when I come up this summer.

torggy

Post Number: 826

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great pictures Max! Thanks!! Looks like the river was a little high. Good thing you did not walk down to it, a slip on the ice could have been ugly.

There must still be allot of stuff sitting down at Hjalmers old place. Wish I had walked down there last time I was home.

The trail from the church to the river is still quite used. We walked it last summer a couple of times. There is a good trail that follows the river all the way to the railroad bridge. Though I do not think it would have been good to follow it with the river as high as it is in Max's pictures.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful pictures, Max. I wonder how the folks got out of their homes after a storm like that....

The river views are beautiful. I never walked to the dam so may do that when I get back.

I talked with Dad last night and he said that the O in O and N is for Warner Olson. The N I knew - Al Naslund. I am so amazed that Webman knew the Standard Oil man who fueled that station. My Dad pronounced it but doubt I can say it. Thanks guys - Valleygirl.

kathleen_wilde
Rookie Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading all of the threads! I got all fuzzy inside thinking of days gone by. I don't remember all you guys but amm taking out my annuals today and going through them.Boon sorry i couldn't make it last summer when you were up but will get together with you this summer for sure! Blondie I did retire in January couldn't handle the work load anymore with my R.A. You know where I live I'll be out walking this summer so I'll see you around.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 187

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, nice to see you posting here. Maybe you can add some stories also.
I certainly hear you about that work load, sure don't miss it!!! I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do, and yes probably will see you out walking.

Maxx, hard to believe isn't it, that not long ago there was snow like that!! Good Pictures

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, Kathy, Kathy.....I got so excited when I saw your message. I'm so glad you are posting.

I'm going to hold you to seeing me when I get back this year. PM me with your phone number so I can get in touch with you. Looks like I'll be back in April or May.

Welcome back, Blondie

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took a drive down Greenwood road. I took a photo of the small unname creek where that old copper mine is located. I think the Becks live on the east side of this little creek.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I noticed an obit in today's paper for Don Dunnell. He lived in Spruce Court, in fact, in the house where M. Johnson lived. His father Dewey lived in the next one west which has been gone for quite a few years. They had a fishing spot just west of Cliff Sundstrom's dad.

kathywilde
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just thought I'd try this again It didn't work a few minutes ago I'm new @ this stuff!

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Warren I just checked my 1959 employees time book His name is listed Dunnell Donald, D. He and his father built uncle M. garage also sold him the lot behind the house. It was very reasonable. Ronny J. and I helped him and his dad saw a lot of logs into rough boards one day. They did have a slide just to the west of Victor's. Don hired out on 3/26/1957 as a firemen I think he left in 1961 and started farming where he was. I think he lived in Edna and Vic's old house and next to him was his dad, small square house. He always worked with his Dad when not railroading. I think his Dad retired about the time Don left. Iwas just looking at the creek by Marts I sure crossed that one many many times. Mart set 3 popal logs side by side and held them together with about 1x3. They sat on a incline on the east bank for many years. Where Pete Beck,s house is that was all grown in. There was a trail up to the tracks. Another trail I traveled was above the tracks thru Ganon [spelling] a corn field to the west of the trail. Art and I kept that trail open thru the winter. Alittle story about there garden that went up toward the old north shore road One Sat night after a merry time at the Forest Inn Phil C. and I was woke up early just after day break by mr. Ganon[?] in his field with about 6-inches of snow on the ground. Do you remember there son out hunting for bear one summer with a 22 rifle. I believe it was a bolt action. He had shown I and someone else. We left that area shortly. That was the only time I had ever seen there son. He was about in his late 20's or mid 30's.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just figured out who dab is. Only 1 person could have that info. Thanks. Good story.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjamler would run his dredge to clean out his little harbor. Here is the photos of this unit. The cable was wrapped around the spool and the big gear to the right.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the side photo of the dredge. You can see the crank where Hjamler had to hand crank the engine to start it. The belt remains that keep the air flowing over the motor. The frame is holding the motor steady. A couple broken spark plugs but I bet this engine would run today if a little work was done to it.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I do remember Gagnon's place. It actually was moved when they built the 4lane to behind Hatfield's store. We all referred to it as "The Lineshack". Quite a few people from around the neighborhood lived there at one time or another.

Uncle M used to pump water out of the creek just above the cave to water his garden. That creek had a name according to Uncle M. He probably told you the story of it being named after a guy that lived above Victor Sundstrom's fishhouse. His name was Charlie Olson but Victor called him "Gooby Johnson" so we always referred to it as "Gooby Johnson's Creek".

Mrs. Gagnon was always a part of the coffee clutches the older ladies had. Mrs. Palm, Myrtle Anderson (her husband was Squirrel Anderson), Ida Sundstrom, Tillie Johnson, Annie Sundquist, Ida Mattson, Mrs. Eli Johnson and on and on. Kind of fun to remember those names. Oh, Rosa Carlson too!

Were you around when Ida Mattson had that Green Morris Minor car? Alvera Pierson and I were laughing last summer about her driving skills, or lack of. You could always tell when she was coming-a big cloud of dust and that little 4 cylinder roaring like thunder! She ran into Ron Jackson in the church parking lot one morning, went in the ditch outside Cliff Sundstrom's (we were able to lift one end of the car at a time back onto the road). The car was just a little too big to have pedals.

Also, there were numerous other oldtimers who were challenged driving. It was common in those days before signal lights when you were going to make a left turn to open the door of the car-I remember my granddad doing it many times. I also remember a trip with him where we were in second gear all the way to Loneyville. I was just a little kid then and I said to him "grandpa, shouldn't that stick be pointing down? That's were I first heard four letter words in Svenska. Naturally, I still remember them to this day.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is such a great story, LWM, about your grandpa and about Ida Mattson's driving.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 188

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I am curious, what is a GREEN MORRIS MINOR CAR?
Svensak swear word huh?

DAB, wow you still had your 1959 employee's book that is amazing.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So was Ida Mattson related to Hjamler?

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We used to run out of church early to watch Ida leave. She didn't know how to work the clutch, so would just "pop" it. No one would park next to her and she was the first to leave. The rocks and gravel would fly. Fun memory.

torggy

Post Number: 827

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Morris Minor is a small English car. You still see one around now and then.
morris minor

Great pictures Max! How did Hjalmer get the dredge bucket to the end of the harbor to pull along the bottom? Did he have some type of A-frame at the end?

DAB, let me get this right. After a night at Forest Inn you fell asleep in the corn field in 6 inches of snow? Sounds like a tale from part of my miss spent youth. We should have gotten together sometime. Coulda been fun!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 189

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks torggy for the picture of that car. I have never seen one.

I had to re read DAB's story after torggy mentioned it, got a real chuckle out it!

WM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, Ida Mattson wasn't related to Hjalmer. Her house is where Herb and Alvera Pierson currently live. I vaguely remember that she may have been related to Wally, Priscilla, Bob, and Barb Mattson-I need to ask Cliff S. about that-he would know. There was also a Rose Mattson that lived between Anderson's Store and French but she wasn't related to Hjalmer either. Since we've discussed Hjalmer so much in these postings, some of you may not be aware of the family tree. Ralph alseth was married to Hjalmer's sister Irene, Milton Alseth was married to Ellen, Albert Alseth was married to Ingrid, Clarence was married to Julia who was a great bird carver and also an excellent fly fisherperson, Harry Stromgren was married to Lillian, and Art(no relation) Mattson was married to Inez. Hjalmer also had a brother who was killed in WWII. I hope I didn't leave any of them out. If I did it was unintentional. Hjalmer's father was married to a Bergendahl. I had mentioned John in a previous posting. He lived on Greenwood Road just up on the corner from Martha Nelson. The house is gone now.

John had a brother William who lived over at Lakeview Castle. He owned a Model T. DAB, our uncle M. used to tell the story of the time William went in the ditch just west of the Sundstrom/Gustafson fishhouse. The steering column had broken some time before that and he was steering the car with two pieces of rope just like a horse and wagon. Well, a man named Herman Helsing, who coincidentally lived near Hjalmer came along and stopped. He had been in the bottle and William didn't know it. They tied a rope to the Model T. and Herman got him out of the ditch but forgot to stop. He towed him all the way over to your folks driveway, Torggy, before he remembered that William was behind him. Remember what I said about drivers in those days!!!!! That is a true story!!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjalmer's brother's name was Theodore-just came to me!

torggy

Post Number: 828

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All you guys make it so much fun to visit here anymore! Thank You!!

My Grandma Wallis only drove once according to her own account. She said she ran off the road and hit a cow. She never drove again. She and Grandpa spent the winters in Florida or Arizona and the summers in Canada or Alaska. They had a mid-60's green Dodge truck with an eight foot camper on the back. It still had the tail gate and you could shut it. They lived, with their cocker spaniel, in that thing 8-9 months out of the year.

When Grandpa Wallis died and I arrived at his house in Wakaw, Sask. there was an 8 month old Ford Ranger sitting in his driveway. It had less than 500 miles on it. He had always driven a stick shift. At 93 when he had to renew his driver’s license they failed him because he had to take both hands off the wheel to shift. The next day he drove to a town 40 miles away and got the new Ranger with an automatic. He went down the next day and got his license renewed. It said he could not drive at night and never in town. Problem was, he lived in town.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 731

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being that everyone is remembering things of the past, I thought you might enjoy looking back in time at some of these pictures. Not about C.V. or T.H., but interesting never the less....

A look back in time. Compared to living today, we never had it so good....

http://www.shorpy.com/node

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Ida Mattson was related to the Piersons. They lived next door just east of Shorecrest. If I am not mistaken, she was Alvira's mother.

dab
Regular Poster

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bassman, thank you for posting shorpy.com i'll have to explore. when I was in high school Pierson's store had a old gas hand pump for a glass storeage unit for gravity feed into your fuel tank.
torggy, speaking of miss spent youth there is a old saying, I would'nt sellum for a million nor would I buy them back for a buck. There are a few more I could tell you but some I will and some I won't. We did have two great fishing trips at the end of our sophmore & junior yr.
blondie the only thing I have left from the railroad is thar 59 time book and my switch key. I did have a switchmen's lamp. but that ended on the back bar at a tavern on route 39 west of Millwaukee, WI. It was one of my old watering holes, the guy was a railroad buff so in one of my more mellow moments I gaveit up. Do you remember the old lunch baskets the brakemen & enginemen carried. They looked like a small picnic basket. I had one of those also and after my kids were old enough they had there own picnic's.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 190

Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I sure do remember that lunch basket the brakemen had, remember my dad's. Wonder what ever happened to that!! Know he had it for years, probably just got worn out, as know he used it when he was doing carpenter work in the twin cities. I thought of my dad in the one picture on the site bassman posted. A railroad guy with a fusie(spelling). Remember my dad doing just that! (the circle)

Checked out that site Bassman, some interesting pictures on there. thanks for posting it.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl, slight correction. Gertrude was Alvera's mother. She was married to Alphonse. Too many same last names!!! I know Ida Mattson was Ida Anderson at one time but I can't remember if there was a relationship there or not. There was a sign on the road at one time, Ida Anderson's Cabin's. Maybe one of Alvera's daughters can help us out on this one.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hjmaler’s dredging was a slow process. The bucket was very heavy and would sink to the bottom with ease. He had several car frames welded together as a tower for his series of cables. Hjmaler could change the cable angle with the tower and post on the break wall. The cables left the tower and went to spools in the woods with frames to hold them secure. Then the cables would attach to both side of the bucket. He could reverse the dredge to drag his bucket back into the water. There were times Hjamler would have to move the dredging material twice to get gravel out of the way. You could see some of the cables on the break wall in a photo I posted earlier in this thread. The woods was on the break wall side was a place not to walk around during the dredging since you didn’t know which cables were being used to move the bucket. His dredging system shows how much of a problem solver Hjamler was. I know Hjamler had thoughts of water power engine. His thoughts on this were before the gas storage I bet. The pontoon boat that sorts out the fish after the net was pulled to his boat. Living right on the shores of Lake Superior gave Hjamler dreams as big as the lake herself.

torggy

Post Number: 829

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If LWM can't figure out who is related to who I surely am lost.

Found this little story:
jhalmer story 1
jhalmer story 2

torggy

Post Number: 830

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Cool stuff there Max, thanks. I kinda remember some of those things now that I see the pictures. Sure was allot of work.

I should say that the above story is about the boat pictured in Max's post of Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 04:06 pm.

Kinda brings it all full circle, thanks Max.

dab
Regular Poster

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valley girl: That pitchure you have of the fish is that from the video cam under the lake? I used to bring that up now and then but have not found it for a long time. Now that you know who I am you can email your ID.
madd maxx, This sounds very much like how they mined for gravel years ago when they had to go below the water table for the sand&gravel. There were quite a few of these systems still operating when I first came to Ohio. They were called a sourmen{spelling] No more left, just to slow and costly. They have been replaced with draglines or suction dredges. They mine what's above the water table with a end loader and then go to either one. The state of Ohio is blessed with great deposits of sand&gravel as a result of the wisconsin glacier. The city of Canton is sitting on one of the best
Did they not steal Hjmaler's Rose Bud?
Torggy, I rode to work with your Grandpa for a few weeks when I started on the RR. Was he a pipefitter or do I have the wrong person.If not mistaken he had a real bright green or blue Nash, don't remember the model.

torggy

Post Number: 831

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really!? DAB, you knew my grandfather? Thats great! Wish I could figure out who you are.

Yes he was a pipefitter in TH for a couple years. Needed the time to finish off his railroad retirement. Yes he did have a blue or green Nash. I can't remember the color either. He used to keep it parked in the turn around at the top of the driveway. In the winter he ran a cord out to it and kept a heat lamp under the hood and a blanket over the engine so it would start the next morning.

After the railroad he worked at the Fitgers Brewery for a couple more years. The last job I remember him having was Captian of the tour boat the Flame. He held a Great Lakes captians license for years.

In his younger days he was the federal steamboat inspector for the great lakes. Spent several years in Buffalo and moved to Duluth in the late 30's. Had an office in the Duluth Federal building till WWII started. They wanted him to join the Navy but he felt he was to old and declined.

During the war he delivered the small sub-chasers that were built in Duluth to the Atlantic ocean. He then had to hitchhike the boats back to Duluth to pick up the next one.

I can remember both him and my Dad carring those little picnic type lunch baskets to work on the railroad. There is probably still one in my parents basement.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is fascinating. I am enjoying reading all this history. Thank you. The pictures are great.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of those picnic baskets. Has a brass plaque with his name on it. Still in perfect condition. Nice to look at and remember. There used to be garages down by the rr in th. The rr guys could park their cars in them so they would start. Behind the new Moose club. All gone now. dab, can't remember where I got fish. I think DNR site. Found it through metacrawler images.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://bara.arizona.edu/library/toupal/IRNP_FinalReport.pdf
Interesting stuff here about our past.

Page 119, page 149 and read the rest yourself. That's as far as I am now. WOW!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 191

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember that my dad parked in those garages behind the Moose Club, his was parked outside. Covered with red ore dust all the time!! (actually come to think of it, my dad didn't work in the winter, he was laid off)
Took too long for that site too download valleygirl, so I quit.

(Message edited by Blondie on April 03, 2007)

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, you remember Uncle M putting his coffee in a one-pint Whiskey bottle? When they were running the steam locomotives there was a place where the bottle would fit next to the boiler to keep the coffee hot. Pretty ingenious!

Torggy, your granddad Steve also hauled away Ida Sundstrom's last cow. I remember that day very clearly. He had a green one-ton dually-maybe an International. I delivered their newspaper for four or five years also.

DAB, did you know that Uncle M's brother G retired from DM&IR as yardmaster? I think Bob Aho took over when he retired. How many of you remember the coal docks in TH and the boats unloading coal for the power plant?

Another funny story related to the Edna G. I was talking with one of the guys who worked on her several years back and he told of an older Norwegian lady who would hang her clothes out to dry on Mondays and the crew would blow the tubes (means cleaning soot from the stack)and blow soot all over her clothes. Would have been fun and educational to here her comments. I'm quite certain she would be describing their ancestry in no uncertain terms!!! Of course, the wind would have to be blowing from the Southwest. She lived over on South Avenue.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration