Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Clifton < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 832

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

clifton story 1
clifton story 2

torggy

Post Number: 833

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I should mention that this Clifton Fire Department article is from the July 1988 Landmark.
clifton fire department 3
clifton fire department 4

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is an old story Torggy. I remember the Anderson and Walker fires. The department was founded by Jack Barlass I believe. His picture hung in the old fire hall by the safe harbor. I would say someone will know for sure. Jack's son worked with sprinkler systems in Duluth. Sprinkler Service was the company's name which he was one of owners. My employment had me work with the younger Barlass over the years until he retired.

torggy

Post Number: 834

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

clifton fire department 5
clifton fire department 6

torggy

Post Number: 835

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, that truck was a Diamond Reo. Pre-WWII I think. That must have been the cow my Dad talks about having years ago.

So you delivered the paper prior to the Jackson family taking over for the next couple of decades. Les Jackson delivered our paper for years.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Diamond Rio-I recall the first fire truck Clifton had was a Diamond T. They had two speed trannies.

I actually took over the route from Martin Jackson. I subbed for Jerry on the Spruce Court route when I was a little kid. The first to have the paper routes out there were David and Dorothy Carlson. Jacksons took over from them. All of the Jackson boys carried the paper at one time. They were actually featured in the Cosmopolitan Section of the Sunday paper. I got an honorable mention in that article. Bob Jackson took over from me and David was the last one to have a route. When I started carrying the paper it was 45 cents per week-5 cents for the daily, and 15 cents for the sunday. We actually sold magazine subscriptions also. I delivered 28 papers in the winter but it would jump in the summer. Stromgren's Motel would take five and so did Anderson's store. I think I made 45 cents a day. Most of you are too young to remember Olson's Fish Stand and cabins. My sister and I worked there in the summer during our junior high years and into high school. 50 cents a day!!! The place is currently the Corner Cupboard Gifts. The little stand has been gone for years. It was originally owned by Gust Dahlberg whom I mentioned in a posting way back. The cabins rented for $2.50 and up. $1.25 per person. Find a place like that now!!!! These had no inside plumbing. A hand pump for water outside and an outhouse. The outhouse is still there for those of you who care-for those of you who don't care as well!!!!

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 43

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can remember Helgeson's Cabins on the North Shore (Hwy. 61)just before Stoney Point Road. I used to clean cabins there for 50 cents an hour. That was in the early 60's. After reading Warren's message I do believe what I earned was good pay!

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I do remember the pint bottle. I did not know MR. G was yardmaster unless I forgot. I was a herder a few times,the brakemen threw switches for the herder when he took the steamer to take on water and coal. I can remember brakemen making comments on how smooth of a operator uncle M. was. Later in years he was tagged with the name smoothie. I also remember the outhouse, It surived that one Halloween in the early 50's. Nothing can be done now Art is gone and I am to old. Helgeson's had a son by the name of Lyle he was a few yrs older than I. I think he died in a motor cycle accident
boon, the wages did'nt go up much, summer of 53 I was cutting grass for .50 at the Gilmore Theater. I can still see the old man with gray hair barking out orders at everbody. I even got to usher one of there plays, of course I told know one about that. I felt like a damm fool walking people up and down the isle's

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, Uncle M's nickname was also "Highpockets". Jim Adair told me that. Also, Gilmore's daughter, I believe, was an actress on Broadway in New york City which is how the theatre came about.

Boon, Joanette Helgeson was in my grade. They always went to Florida in the winter so she would be with us in the fall and the spring. Her parents were friends with my Knife River grandparents. She had an older brother Lyle, as DAB said who was killed in a wreck. Helgeson's was a beautiful place in it's day, it was a shame when that group took it over and destroyed it in relatively no time at all.

DAB, do you remember what they called the DM&IR Engineers?---Hogheads!!

wissota
Rookie Poster
Username: wissota

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading the posts and noticed the comments about the corvettes back in the late 60's early 70's. You can add Neil Hendrickson, Allen Stavig, Larry Svee, Mark Symons, and I think...Butch Raye and Myron Vold to the list. There were a couple of others too that I can't remember at the moment. Some were the same model and color which caused a few problems for the local law enforcement. LOL

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is any current Clifton firefighter reading the these pages could tell us which trucks they still have. I remember that they use to have these trucks. Diamond T, 53 Dodge panel truck, Dodge power wagon 4x4(Old Army), Duece Tanker (Army), 60 Ford, and 80 Ford. The Duece was an automatic. Ray Leppla keep up the body work on the trucks and Hank Willemark did alot of the other repairs to the trucks. I am sure they have update a few of the rigs since the early 80ies.

dab
Regular Poster

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, Yes engineer's were known as hogheads and at time's brakemen were known as snake's. What about Jim Adair last I saw him was 2000 at the church. I saw in the paper where Two Harbors shipped 14million ton of Taconite in 07 verses 12 million in 06. The CNP may use the docks at Two Harbors more so than previous. It seems to me they are not real friendly to the media. I read a article that indicated they are not news friendly.
They used to have a camera under the water and I have not found it. Do you know if its still there. Some nice fish showed up at times. Have you tried Sandy yet. I don't know if I told you our Sharon is engaged. She had to have her black lab put to sleep last week. He was a good old gentle dog.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I sent an email regarding the Benthic Explorer, the live fish camera that was available. I suspect it's a seasonal thing. I was under the impression it was outside of Fitger' got damaged several years back in a storm. It isn't very deep, about 35 feet of water so a good Southeaster could move it around. I copied you on the email I sent so let's see what they have to say. Torggy, this was really interesting to watch. As DAB said, you could see some nice fish swim by.

torggy

Post Number: 836

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I watched it for quite some time. I did see large fish. Yes, it was damaged in a storm and has not really worked since, I've tried it several times the last few months. The lake is tough on stuff.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 195

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know someone was talking about wages. This was in one of the "forwards" I get daily from people. They year was 1905

The average wage in the U.S. was 22 cents per hour.
The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
a dentist $2,500 per year,
a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and
A mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

Back when my son was little First National Bank as it was called then, asked me to come and work for them...the wage was .95 cents an hour. I declined due to having to pay a babysitter, it wouldn't pay.
In 1974 I started working as nurse aide, and started out at $2.95 an hour.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to let you know that Gary and I will be in Duluth (Knife River) April 11 - 19. My Dad is quite ill and all the daughters are flying back to visit for awhile.

kathleen_wilde
Rookie Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon sorry to hear about your Dad if you have time give me a call I'm in the book

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 196

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My uncle Howard called tonight, wondering if anything new was going on here.
I asked him about the garages down by the railroad, and he said there was a line of them on one side, and more going another way, steel sheds with doors. He explained where they were, but it was all Greek to me! DAB sure you know where they were.
He said not only railroad people rented them, but people who wanted to store things in them. Guess the rent was really cheap. He said he never rented one for his vehicle.

LWM, he asked if you still were posting, and I said, Oh yes, all the time.

Question anyone, just re-reading about Clifton, where was Walker Inn? That name is unfamiliar.

torggy

Post Number: 837

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I hope the best for your Father and your family. Say 'HI" to the big lake for me!

Since the thread is titled Clifton I found this picture:
clifton fish stand

torggy

Post Number: 838

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walkers Inn might be what Wonderland was called at the end.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clifron: A lot of people forgot they had fast pitch softball team in the early 50's. Edsel stromberg {spelling&last name] was the pitchure. I think the team was made up of guys from normana, lakewood, and maybe other area's. There was also a guy who had a darn good fast typte pitch called a windmill. Just to let you know how good Art Berg was he played on the team when he was a freshmen. Most of the players were from 18 and older. The games were played in Lakeside under the lights. I remember Mrs. Gustafson giving us rides to and from the games. LWM that would be Gussie,s mon. She was always very good to us younger kids.
That fish and basket stand was located by the Pines It was up closer to the road and to the right when facing the Pines. As in a previous post it was a local watering hole. Ma Forest rented it a guy by the name of Goldberg I think. Help out here LWM.
blondie, I did not remember the garages until it up here.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 197

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dab, I remember hearing the name of Edsel Stromberg. I used to know a girl Jackie Stromberg, she lived with her grandma up near Einar Abrahamsons, and believe Edsel was her uncle. I used to go and play with her. Think she was only at Bloomingdale, before moving.

Seems to me I read that somewhere about Art being a very good athlete.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I think the guy you're thinking of is Sam Goldish. He later had a Smoked Fish shack between the fire hall and the Beachway Motel. After that he was over in front of where Dick and Alice Peterson lived (Son Tim lives there now). I would have said just east of Hazel Lane but many of you probably don't remember that road that went up to Greenwood Road. It was blocked off years ago.

Blondie, Edsel Stromberg is the guy that tore down that old ice house I referred to in a previous posting. I can't remember if he was related to Terry, Rita, Renee, and Joanne.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I think Edsel worked for the DM&IR He maintained the signal lights at the road crossings, or he worked on the section and he may have maintained the switch lamps. I seem to recall he left the RR and moved out of the area.
Blondie may be able to help us. Her uncle Howard would have known him. I don't think there were that many lights at the crossing in those day's.
Would he have been related to the twins below uncle M. I wonder if they still have his cats, they would be old by now.
LWM, you are right it was Sam Goldish and I now remember him moving. Was Hazel Lane on the far west end of Greenwood? I remember uncle M drove down a trail to the highway and came out right to the west of Bertal's house when it was down by the highway. There was a right of way for a township road at the west side of uncle M property. They must of done away with when he bought the lot behind him from Dunnell.
Was the old Ed Snyder still driving that 1930's Packard when you had last contact with him. I had a ride in the summer I was out of high school, it was in fantastic condition. Your Dad and Vic both worked for Iron Firemen anyway I don't remember the name of the company. I know Iron Firemen was a furnace brand name. I remember Vic driving a 46-48 Merc. and he had small straps welded on the front door so when the kids were in the back seat they could'nt open the back doors while in motion. These straps overlapped the back door about 1/2 inch or so. I guess J Nylen would recall it. Now is he doing nowdays? Your family must have some relatives living in Montana uncle talked about going out there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 198

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dab, my uncle Howard told me to be sure to say "HI" to you. I called him and he is a wealth of information, it is unreal. He enjoys passing on what he remembers, as he says, if he doesn't, it will be lost in time. He said that Edsel worked for the section. Guess he used to hang out at the "Pool" hall all the time. Edsel was in WWII, but never saw combat. I am too lazy too look it up, but he said Edsel was at that famous Ski Hill in Germany,(?) stationed there, or whatever, he had no idea what Edsel did. When he got out of the service, he moved to Minneapolis and married later in life, and drove Milk Truck, until he died. Also Howard was telling me, that Edsel went with some gal, that one of the Solem guys ended up marrying, and Edsel never really got over that gal.

I was writing down stuff as he was talking. Now it is trying to make sense of what I wrote down!!!

Oh yes, he remembers your Uncle M, said he was real tall, must be like you LWM!! Howard said he saw your brother Dan about a week ago. LWM, when you come home this summer you will have to talk to Howard, he loves to talk about the old days. I wish he could write all his memories down, but he isn't a writer. Talking about it is better, one needs a tape recorder.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, as of last summer, Red the cat was still at Rita and Jeffs. Strictly indoor now.

Hazel Lane was the far end of Spruce Court, down toward Bruce Cameron's. About three houses east of Bruce's. In fact, it would have run right up into Al Ness' yard, which by the way, was a small gravel pit when I was a little kid.

General Heating and Engineering was the Co. my dad and Vic Nylen worked for. I was talking with my dad one day about wages in the olden days and he said when he and my mother got married he was making $29 a week! My dad will be 87 in Sept. and he is still in good shape. Has a good memory.

Blondie, I usually see Howard up at my brothers shop. He and Kenny Mandolin are there frequently and yes, Howard is a wealth of information. The BS really flies when we get together. My brother Dan also has a very good memory. By the way, he lives up on 14th avenue there in TH.

Boon, so sorry to hear your dad is having more serious health issues. It's really nice that you and your sisters are going back to spend time with him. It will mean a lot to him.

DAB, Captain Nylen is headed back up to Yakatat, Alaska to run a pilot boat from June to Oct 1st. I'm quite certain there will be a fishing pole or two with lines in the water. I generally go up to visit him in Oak Harbor, WA (Whidbey Island) a couple of times a year. Torggy is very close to him, maybe 45 minutes away in Sedro Wooley. Creig Sundstrom is in the Tacoma area so I had a chance to play golf with him last summer. He moved away from MN in 1958. Blondie, you would remember him in grade school.

Ok, unrelated trivia, the first TV station in Duluth was WFTV, Channel 38. UHF so we had to have a special box. Two announcers who later ended up at KDAL-TV were Herb Taylor and Gordie Paymar. Blondie, you remember WEBC radio and Dr. Don Rose? He always ended his shows with "Lots of Blue Skies and green lights, live it up and sleep in the streets. Well, low and behold, I get out here to the San Francisco Bay area and he is on KFRC, and oldies station. Was with them for many years. He passed away a few years ago. He was still the same goofy guy and ended his radio show the same way!

We didn't get our first TV until 1952 so it was the radio prior to then. One radio show for kids I always listened to was Big John and Sparky. So some years ago I'm reading the obits for Fremont and there is Big John's obit. He lived here in Fremont! Other favorites were The Lone Ranger, Straight Arrow and Packy, Jack Benny Show, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Our Miss Brooks, Amos and Andy, etc.

How many of you remember the Howdy Doody show with Buffalo Bob Smith, Clarabelle, the clown (he later became Captain Kangaroo), Princess Summerfallwinterspring, Chief Thunderthud, Dilly Dally, Phineas T. Bluster, and Flubadub?

That should bring back a few memories for you "more experienced" folks!!!

torggy

Post Number: 839

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Coast Guardsman Nylen is heading back up to Alaska, eh? Have to try to visit before that happens. When are you planning your trip through this year LWM? Before June 1st I hope. Was looking forward to seeing all of you again.

Hazel lane? Did that go through just by Johanses's? I went to school with Kenney, he had a couple older sisters. Know some of you went to school with them. I am terriable with names.

There was another way down from Greenwood to 61 just a couple houses west of Jacksons. There was an abandon house on the corner for years. Anyone remember anything about that place?

We got our first tv in 55 or 56. Before we had indoor plumbing in fact. Dad built the wrought iron stand it sat on. There were two channels 3 and 6. First time I watched Lassie I hid behind the chair, it was to scary. Poor backwoods boy I was could not take all that drama.

Who was that local guy that used to sing every morning on KDAL? My Dad and Elmer Youngquist used to listen to him in the morning up at the old hunting shack on #2.

Didn't John's Nylen's brother Al marry the daughter of a newscaster from one of the stations?

Speaking of wages in the old days, I was assistant manager at Sandies for $.65 an hour.

Remember when you used to dream of the salary you could't possiably live on now?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 199

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My one grandpa built his own TV set, and he had it set up in the basement, so we would go down there and watch it. Do any of you remember the colored screen that they put over the TV for color....they were just bands of color!!!

How well, I remember the first TV set we got. It was probably around 54 or so. At that time we lived in Eva's house on Eva's falls off the McQuade Road. I had gotten home from school, and was locked out. I walked over to the two neighbors houses, and no one home. I was so mad and crying when my parents finally drove in the yard, until my dad goes, look in the back seat...here was a new TV. I was so excited and grinning I guess from ear to ear, they often reminded me over the years of this. I don't remember any special box being needed, but do remember the rabbit ears, which had to be turned a certain way to pick up the signal. (bet my grandpa had that box, for his TV though, as he did have one of the first TV's) Torggy it was the same for us, a TV well before we had indoor plumbing!!

I remember Herb Taylor and Gordie Paymar. Oh yes, WEBC, always listened to the radio at night when I went to bed.

Certainly do remember Howdy Doody Time. "Its Howdy Doody Time, its Howdy Doody Time" as the song went.

Lassie, always watched that.

Any of you remember "Bandstand" that they had on KDAL after school? Loved watching that, and always us girls picked our favorite couples. Always we had a crush on some cute guy too.

torggy

Post Number: 840

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Built his on TV!? Wow, Grandpa was quite the electronic expert.

I guess I should mention that the guy that used to sing in the morning was on KDAL the radio station. Forgot that both the radio and TV station had the same letters.

Used to go downtown to the Glass Bloc and they had a phone you could leave requests for WEBC.

I listened to WEBC all the time. My parents hated it because " that rock and roll all sounded the same". They listened to KDAL. Funny now when I go home and listen to KDAL they play much of the music I used to listen to and my parents still listen to KDAL.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, that was Eddie Williams your dad and Elmer listened to. Was on the radio for years. He was always KDAL. Then there was Famous, the singing cowboy. Famous Lashaway.

Al Nylen was married to Gail Anthony. Her father was Dick Anthony, the newscaster for KDAL.

The house on the corner of the road that went down by Martha Nelson's was John Bergendahl's (corner of Greenwood RD and the road down to Nelson's. Remember my earlier posting where I indicated that he was Hjalmer's uncle. Little old guy with a handlebar mustache, walked with a cane. Rode to church with my granddad.

Lassie-starring Tommy Rettig as Jeff, Jan Clayton as his mother, George Cleveland as Gramps and Andy Clyde from the silent films played their neighbor. He was one of my favorites-a master of the double take. He was Mr. Cully on Lassie.

For those of you who care (and don't care), I collect Laurel and Hardy movies. I have most all of them now-their silent movies as well. Some before they were a team. They are my all time favorite comedians. They were proof that profanity wasn't necessary to be funny. I also have W.C. Fields and the Little Rascals. Those aren't complete collections though.

Other Duluth TV personalities: Don Dahl, Carl Casperson, Chuck Lillejgren, Earl Henton, Bill Krueger (he was a little person with a great radio voice), Dottie Becker, and then of course, Rocky Teller of Good night Sportsmen, Sportswomen, and all you little fry. He had a Sporting Goods store and a half hour TV show where people would bring on the big fish they caught. He also showed fishing tackle, etc.

Torggy, I won't be making it up this spring. Late fall probably. Heading for Knife River right after Memorial Day.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 200

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

grandson came down from college on Thursday and leaves tomorrow morning, been having fun cooking and spoiling him. Son and rest of family are in Texas, the high for there today is supposed to be 48, and rain!!!

Those Laurel and Hardy movies are a hoot, and love the Little Rascals.

We were just talking about Rocky Teller the other day, how and where he died!!!!! Used to watch Dottie Becker all the time, believe she is gone also. Remember Earl Henton, he was on the short side also, met him once. Sure do remember Bill Krueger and Dick Anthony.

Yes, Torggy my grandfather was one very smart guy, you should have seen his basement and his garage, the electronic equipment he had, unreal. He could do anything, if something needed fixing, he could do it.

I used to go to Glass Block all the time with Grandma A shopping. Don't recall a phone being in there for requests. My parents also hated WEBC, so that is why I listened to it at night. Still like the music from the 60's and 70's the best, far better than what is out there now.

LWM, hope the snow is gone by the time you get here!! Have you ever had snow on the ground when you have arrived? Back in the 70's there was still ice on the lake(edge) in June, remember we went down to the lake and got big chunks to fill our ice coolers for camping up north.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I was interviewed on channel 38 I think it was Lew Rickert {spelling] host also Athletic Director at UMD. The 53 basketball team was his guest. Our first TV was a Arvin. Uncle M and I were anchoring support cables for the atena and it was almost dark when he hit his thumd with the hammer, that was the only time I ever herd him use a cuse word. I had to go in the house and my Aunt and I had a good chuckle. Gordie Paymar was the weatherman, he was the first one I herd to use the term snow showers. Don't forget Jolly Jack McKenna, weatherman. At one time Jack sold Allstate Insurance at Sears when it was downtown.
We used to listen to WREX they carried the most country music. Some of the dances we attended in our later years The Stringbusters played at.
blondie Next time you talk to Howard give him a hello for me, thank you.
Well off to my Daughter,s for Easter dinner.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE And remember those who take and never give may last for years bur never live.

torggy

Post Number: 841

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just talked to Mom and Dad. They got a foot of wet snow on Tuesday and then it froze. Dad said it was his fault as he had put away the sno-blower already and had to get it back out.

Sorry to hear you won't be stopping by this spring LWM. Look forward to seeing you this fall.

When I lived in Denver some buddies of mine and I used to get together every Wednesday and go to the local library to watch Laurel and Hardy movies. That was before they were avialable for your VCR. Or should I say DVD now?

Found this web site. Thought some might like it:
http://www.twinportsbroadcasting.com/

I swear you can find almost anything on the internet.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't foget Marsh Nelson, the voice of the Vikings!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 201

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is right Marsh Nelson, he always wore a crew cut. Marsh Nelson and Dottie Becker.

Torggy, now we know who to blame for the darn snow we got!!!! We don't put our shovels away even until we see green grass, then it is iffy!

I can't believe it, Pamida has their Green house set up, dumb. The ground is still frozen, it is going to be sometime before anyone can think of planting anything. They rush things too much here, doesn't do any good, as mother nature has her own mind!!!

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I got to thinking about M brother G as Yardmaster. could it be that he was a Trainmaster? It was always the Brakemen who moved up to Yardmaster.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I'm sure you are correct. You have a much better knowledge of the railroad than I.

Blondie, I guess Pamida is being optimistic. This time of the year your weather can change dramatically from day to day as you know. The whole eastern half of the country has been goofy the past week or so. Snowing at baseball games!!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 735

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of first T.V.s and Duluth radio, I remember watching a Joe Lewis fight a block from my bride to be's house, at a T.V. Radio store with a number of other people from the neighborhood. All of us standing on the side walk watching the fight through the window.

The best voice on Duluth radio news was Bill Krueger on KDAL...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 202

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, guess my problem is, I am more realistic!!
We were headed in the right direction to a nice spring, but that was short lived.

Torggy, I hope your dad has kept his snow blower handy, as doesn't sound good for the next couple days...again!! thanks for the website. Interesting to read about WEBC, names stood out!!

(Message edited by Blondie on April 09, 2007)

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can remember when I was about five or six years old I was on the Eddie Williams show. It was so much fun and I was so scared, too. I got a nice doll for being on the show.

Jack McKenna move to the Bay area several years ago and was a weatherman in S.F. for, oh boy, can't remember if it was KTVU or what, but it was so much fun to see him on the air so I wrote him a letter welcoming him to CA. He wrote back a great letter. Not long after that, tho, he moved back to Minn.

My favorite TV shows were Hop A Long Cassidy and The Lone Ranger. (I still enjoy westerns and am quite a fan.) Lassie was good but always sad for me. I couldn't stand to see Lassie suffering and whimpering in some of the episodes.

I collect the Thin Man series, LWM. They're great,too. No swearing, no drugs, no sex and still great fun to watch.

More snow!!! You have more snow????? I haven't called home, yet, today so I didn't know you guys got dumped on again. Well, that means I pack more then I had planned. Snow suit goes in definitely.....

Oh, I meant to ask - Where exactly is Clifton. I remember the name but not the location.

(Message edited by boon on April 09, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 842

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess Clifton is between the Fish Fry and the Forest Inn or ya could say between the McQuade Road and the Talmadge:
fish fy interior

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 203

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I might have mentioned Mrs. Liljander in a prior post.(Mooda Liljander, sure that isn't how the first name is spelled, but that is how it was pronounced, and that could have been a nick name) I grew up hearing about her, how people went to her for their healing, she delivered babies, and about her "powers". Well, my uncle Howard was just talking about her, that she had said when she dies the sky is going to go black!! She died around 1937 and the sky did just that, go black, they had the worst blizzard ever upon her death!!!!

Also he was talking of Nestor Mattson's place, which is by Edsel Stromberg's house up on the hill, back off the road. I used to go in that house with Jackie and read old comic books that were left in the upstairs(oh to have those old books now). He also shared the story of the "Dans Lava"(which is Finnish, Lava which means platform and Dans means dance as far as I know), how at Nestor Mattson's there was a platform built for Saturday dances, where Fred Abrahamson and others played music, and "moonshine" was brought in.

Back in the winter of 44-45 Howard and his parents and siblings all moved up to Nestor Mattson house to take care of the 4 cows and horse, as she moved into town with her daughter (Mr. Mattson was dead). He said it was easier for them to move up there, than try get the animals down to their farm. He remembers that Fred Abrahamson plowed or cleared it somehow up the Ryan Road and up that hill going by Einar's so they could get their stuff up their easier..see that was Fred. (the road didn't go through really, more of a trail the farther up you got) Otherwise, they would have had to go around by Nolte's store and up.

He keeps saying how everyone back then was like family, they helped one another out, held weekly dances, how it has changed. Yes times have changed. No one locked their doors, goodness just the opposite now, one is afraid to leave their doors unlocked!!

For those of you that have the book on page 67 there is refrence to Mrs. Liljander and page 71 and 72 it tells of "Dans Lava" and Nestor Mattson.

Also on page 72 top picture on right of the musicians, the first guy on the left playing Harmonica is Einar Abrahahmson and then Harold Jackson.

On page 75 there is a picture of the Burke farm, that is Reinerson's place up on the hill, Mrs. was a Burke. I thought I recognized the house. Howard filled me in on all these little tidbits. He said, I wouldn't recognize that house anymore though!!

Boon, we always used to watch Jack McKenna do the weather, and hated to see him move. He did come back, and went to another station. That was nice that at least he acknowledged your letter.
So far Boon, clear skies, your leaving tomorrow right? Hope to either see you or talk with you. Hope the weather holds, and have a safe trip. Still pack some winter clothing!!!

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm all packed, Blondie, except for last minute stuff. I will definitely be warm while I am there. Thanks for the weather report because I told Gary more snow was due in. We'd like the snow to wait until we have landed....(We'll be flying in on the 11th.)

Sounds like Clifton is more of an area than a single place or building. Is it like a township? I know exactly where you mean, Torggy, thank you.

We had Dr. Don Rose out here for years but I didn't know he had been in Duluth first. That's interesting. He was great fun. Another Wolfman Jack....

WEBC was my favorite radio station as well.

(Message edited by boon on April 10, 2007)

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, Howard called me last night and we talked mostly railroad, I sure enjoyed it.
LWM Howard set me straight on big G. he was traveling Engineer about like Trainmaster.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 204

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dab, I figured Howard would call last night. Any questions about railroad, he certainly would know, worked there for many years.

Boon, I wish the storm would miss us totally, that would be better yet!! Loved Wolfman Jacks(Robert Weston Smith) deep voice, he died in 1995.

This is about Clifton. In the book it shows a map on page 29.
"Along the shoreline of our community, the rumors of possible copper deposits led to a heightened interest in the area. By 1856 the platting of three townsites had been completed, and the dream of a copper bonanza was running at fever pitch. The first townsite to be platted was CLIFTON near the mouth of the Talamdge River. It was designed by J.S.Watrous to be a "future metopolis" with residential and commerical sections, wide avenues, streets laid out in a block patter and yes a protected harbor"

None of these townsites became anymore than that on paper, with only a handful of inhabitants.

boon
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm taking the book with me to Minn - I'd like to read it while we are in the air.

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always remember Jack McKenna doing the weather. It had been cold for so, so many days, below zero. He simply said, "So, many have complained about my weather reports because there is no letting up in sight. All I can say is, if you have any brass monkeys in your front yard, bring them in." I understand he got in much trouble for that way back then.

kathleen_wilde
Rookie Poster

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent a post yesterday but it didn't work. I met Uncle Bob and Clarabelle the clown in the cities 30 years ago I thought he was very rude. The first time I got to see T.V. sunde's got one first and I Love Lucy was on my big brother would carry me across the field to watch it.We also got television be fore an inside toilet. The one thing I remember was Sunday morning watching a preacher that use to healeolpe by putting his hand on their head and yelling heal! Then the person would get up and walk or could see or something or other that was healed on them we only had a couple channels so it must have been raining out or some thing so my Dad couldn't kick us out of the house we weren't aloud to play in the house if it was nice out.Speaking of the weather, no snow so far but a lot of wind out of the northeast I hope Boon makes it ok

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 205

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, I had trouble posting the other day also.

I remember watching that healer also. I too spent most my time outside, so like you say rainy days, inside, watching TV.

I hope Boon doesn't have any problems as it is snowing in the Twin Cities. Seems the storm has stayed south. I see sun right now, it is peeking out. The topic at the grocery store today, was NO SNOW, how happy everyone was to wake up to nothing!!

drummer
Rookie Poster
Username: drummer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i don't know if this will go through or not. i'm computer illiterate and try ing to find out how to post messages. i have a question abot a relative on mcquuade road.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 206

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes your post came through.
Now post your question and maybe someone can help you out.

drummer
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when did they change the spelling of hagberg road to hegberg road? i was always told it was named after my great grandfather john hagberg who worked out of the county garage at mcquade and lismore. big mike

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 207

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

big mike, that is a good question. I looked up Johan Hagberg in the Roots of the Past book, and it does state in there that the road was named Hagberg.

I know the Homestead Road, was once called Holmstead.
The county is the one that changes the names of roads.
A few years back, they changed the names of several roads in Lake County.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 208

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

big mike, you must be related to Dumpy Laiti then?

Just to add on about spellings of roads.
Sometimes the Shilhon Road is spelled Shelhon!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 209

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drummer, I talked to my uncle this morning, and he said he remembers your gr. grandfather well, said he was a big guy. I thought either he was real tall or gr. grandma was real tiny, according to the photo's in the book.

I mentioned the spelling of the Hagberg Road, and he said, it is mispelled, as is the Shilhon, it was supposed to be Shelhon.

I am sure there is someone you could contact about this, maybe county commisioner/ St. Louis County, and get this corrected.

drummer
Rookie Poster

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, i guess he was 6 foot 7 and she was 5 foot 2. they died shortly before i was born. a few years ago i talked to a guy that used to work for him. at the silver fox on boulder lake. can't remember his name. we are related to the lahities. not sure of the spelling. i remember when the sign said holmstead road. my uncle stayed at hagbergs years ago and attended the clover valley school for a time. he is 94 now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 210

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drummer, in the book, it says his BD was Aug 1st,but not the year he was born, and he died in the year 1942. They celebrated 50 years of marriage in 1936.
Also in the book, is a picture of him in his police uniform.
The one picture, she is holding flowers, but this one looks like it must have been for their Wedding anniversary, as they look older.

torggy

Post Number: 845

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorvik, Arvid K.

Arvid K. Sorvik 87, of French River, died Wednesday April 11, 2007 at St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth. He was born March 28, 1920 to John and Petra (Tangness) Sorvik in Beaver Bay, where he grew up. Arvid attended high school in Two Harbors, and later served in the Civilian Conservation Camp at Gooseberry Falls. He worked as a delivery driver for a creamery, a contract mail carrier for the US Postal Service, at a grocery warehouse, and later as a route salesman for Hartz Mountain Pet Supplies, until retiring in 1982. He married Margaret Jahnke August 17, 1946 and they made their home in French River since 1948. He was a member of French River Lutheran Church, Homesteaders, and 40 year member of the Antique Autombile Club of America - Duluth Chapter. Arvid enjoyed collecting antique cars. He is preceded in death by his parents, wife Margaret in 2001, and sister Marion Koontz. Arvid is survived by his sons, Brian (Lori) of Duluth, and John (Marie) of Trenton, Illinois, daughter, Carol Sorvik of Des Moines, Iowa, and two grandchildren, Brandon and Erin Sorvik. VISTIATION:10 AM until the 11 AM service, Monday April 16, 2007 at French River Lutheran Church. Burial will be in Lakeview Cemetery, Two Harbors. In lieu of flowers, memorial preferred to French River Lutheran Church Kitchen or Floor Mosaic Funds. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 4/13/2007.

kathleen_wilde
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iwent to school with Carol Sorvik the family lived on Green Wood Road Her older brother played the snare drum in band I played bass and cybles Haven't seen Carol since we graduated. Boon hasn't had time to call me yetI don't know if she has access to a computer or not if she calls me I'll let her know

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the Sorvik family well. Top of the line all. John, the oldest, Carol, and then Brian. I believe Mr. Sorvik had a car collection. Was it Edsels? They had the first house I had ever seen built in sections. It was amazing to watch way back then.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounded interesting:
A 1 hour video “Roots in the Past, Seeds for the Future”,prepared by Patrick Eller is available for $23 (includesshipping) from Leo Babeu, 7100 Mikkonen Rd, Two Harbors, MN 55616 (834-2247) or email to:lepat@lakenet.com. It brings the May 19th communitycelebration of the area history book beautifully alive. A first rate program for those interested in participants and in Clover Valley at the turn of the century.

torggy

Post Number: 848

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen that advertised before. I think LWM has a copy. I have heard that it is real good. Who does it have in it?

kathleen_wilde
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going out to Lake view castle tonite to sup with boon Mary Marilyn Joan and hopefully Carol Sorvik. It will be nice to see everyone it seems everyone hybernates in the winter. Did some yard clean up yesterday and we had rain last nite so everything is greening up it is already 56 out so it looks like a promising day

torggy

Post Number: 851

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope everyone had a good time at the Castle. How is the place doing these days?

lakeviewcastle cabin

Thanks to my sister for that one!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a great time last nite at the castle Bruce Solem was their and Terry Stromberg Boon's husband great guy and her sister micki had a great time the class of 67 is going to have a class reunion the week after labor dayso we got to talk about that Boon and I are trying to get every one on a thread that would be great Joan said she was going on it at her job but I told her to read all of the threads first to reminise Boon is staying one more week her Dad asked all of the girls to come home so Becky will be up from the cities and and Linda and husband Denny will be here this week Boon seems to be taking it all pretty good but any way we had a great time and the castle was great good food reasonable priced but I guess we are going to have our reunion at the new resturant on HOLMSTED road we discussed HOLMSTEAD AND SHELHON also better go I guess I can get pretty long winded but hey this is fun!

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a good evening was shared by a few of our posters. Your reunion at the new resturant should be a good experience. The new place would put their best foot forward to help create good time for all who visit their resturant. I am looking forward to making the trip up there to dine after they open up this year.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 212

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got off the phone with Boon. She really enjoyed her evening last night, which is good, in light of her dad's failing health.
She filled me in on his health now, and as I told her, it seems he went down hill so fast, just since we started posting on this forum.

My prayers and thoughts are with her and her family.

Enjoyed the picture Torggy.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got home from a road trip with my sister Ione. went all over valley land lots of new home coming up around here I haven't been up to the old scool in a long time I get kind of weepy but life goes on It's sad not to see the old C.V. store not their at the end of the road Who ever lives in schumann's old house is doing a good job keeping it up we went down the shelhon road my Dad owned 80 acres on the right hand side of the road passe Dick James house and the Oberg house just before the hill down to the river and back anyway the big house on the right across from the river is huge must be a Dr. or lawyer who ownes it I am amazed how they built it right against the bank of the river like that.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, do you have two older sisters and a brother and are Lawrence (Nick) and Ole your uncles?

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could hardly believe my eyes this morning! Headline news on computer: Conservation Officer: Wolf Chased Cars. It was one thing to read in Duluth paper, but when I saw it on Headline News on 'puter, I about fell over. When will the new restaurant on the Holmstead Road open? Any news?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, you answered my question in your last email. I was a grade behind your sister M, I remember Ione, she was a few grades ahead of me, and R was class of 62. My grandparents lived down by the lake just before the curve that goes under the railroad into Knife River. I usually spend a few mornings sitting on a lawn chair with your uncle Nick. I'll be spending my summer again at Randy and Dee's campground. How is Ole doing?

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried 3 times to post I can get through here goes

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM you are right my name is kathy lee I have a sister Ione Marie[Bunny] a brother Robert [Butch] my self and a brother Chris Virginia was one of my playmates we lived next door to Connie and Teddy Sunde and Olaf Gunderson lived down the road.My Uncle Ole is doing good I worked at the nursing home he is in but I retired this last January I haven't been up to see him this winter because of health issues of my own but I'm better and spring has sprung so I will be up to see him.My Uncle Nick is a great guy pretty spry for his age. My two Uncles are the last of my Dad's family so it's up to us cousins now.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, Your sister Ione was one grade behind me. She graduated in 1956 with my good friend Bill Aho. Also new your uncle Nick we worked at a job at near Seven Beavers on a railroad grade I think it was hunken rundel dickson[spelling] Reserve Mining was having a second track set in. Nick was a real nice guy always a smile and good natured.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 215

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, don't know if you still go into this forum or not, but thought I would try and let you know, that my aunt Delores is having serious back surgery tomorrow.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, you're right. Nick is one nice guy. Always has been that way. I make sure I stop to see him when I'm back there. Ole used to stop and see my dad in French River when he was out and about.

DAB, wasn't Bruce Johnson in Ione's grade also?

Kathleen, were you in my brother Jack's grade? He was born in 1950, passed away exactly one year ago-way too young. I remember your dad but didn't know him. My uncle Ray was friends with him and your uncles. Your youngest brother must have been named after your granddad.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been trying to get my sister Ione on this forum I think I'll have to sit her down on mine and get her to read a couple threads that will get her hooked.She has access to a computer at her job but she is like me and afraid of new things unless some one is there to guide her.I don't know who you are Dab I'm going out to lunch with Boon tomarrow I'll have to ask and see if she knows I don't have an annual maybe Ione does class of 55 right call me Kathy when I asked permission from webmaster to post for some reason I got all mixed up so my post was suppose to be kathy lee but it came out my married name cause that is what I wrote down and my son was helping me and he isn't to patient with me learning new things

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ay
I think Jack went to school with my brother Chris who is named after my Granddad sorry to here about your brotheryour brother much too young my brother lives in North Carolinia he's not to good got messed up with agent orange in nam I remember your Uncle Ray very well they were fishing and drinking buddies I remember one time we had half of knife river looking for those guys they went out on the ice from your grandparents place and it was real late at nite and they weren't in yet it was winter and we thought for ure the ice broke and the lake took them skiff and all they couldn't believe we were worried about them fishing was just the way of life in those days my cousin kenny hanson fished till he died and his brother jim[sqeeky]stopped when he couldn't get around any more now stan and steve kenny's boys still fish.nothing like a fresh smoked cisco or fresh fried herring or fish cakes made out of fresh herring of course I'd never turn down lake trout or salmonI had better stop I'm getting hungary for some fresh fish

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, Your cousin sqeeky and I were friends. We both worked as machinist helpers on DM&IR. Sqeek went on to the Machinist trade and I went braking. Him and I and two gril friends went to watch Minn. & Wis. play football fall of 1955. Badgers won, I felt a little out of place sitting in the Gofer section cheering for the Badgers. Your sister Ione was a quiet gal and a nice person. I don't remember talking to her, and if I did it was not to often. I sure would love to have some fresh smoked herring, cisco, trout or all. I remember Sqeek telling me how good his mother's fishcakes were.
LWM you are rigth Bruce was in the same grade. I often wondered if he has a computer, he just might enjoy this site.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had coffee withBoon she is going to stick around as long as she can they don't give her Dad much time so she wants to be here I told her to check into Family Medical Act to see if she can use that and then she can use up her own sick leave to stay with her Dad ,she did and she can so that will take some pressure off her.The Grub twins Boon Sandy Rose and I got together at the Vannila Bean. dab, youweren,t a herring chockers wife if you didn't know how to skin fish and make fish cakes my mouth is watering!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 216

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy that is good that you were able to help Boon stay on, with your suggestion.

Back in one of the threads, there was talk of a Cooper car. Well today, over in Superior going to Menards, we were following a Cooper car, bright red one. The only reason I paid any attention to it at all, was because of talk on here.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, not too many of the old-timers left in Knife River. I used to see Russ Kendall in the fishhouse but haven't seen him since he turned it over to his daughter. I see Iver Pederson once in awhile. His sister is married to one of my relatives. I don't see Audrey Carlson and I'm related to her!!!I visit with Mike Ojard up at his garage. It seems to be the gathering point for KR folks. Kinda fun to look at his old cars and talk Johnson's Drive In. Do you remember the Brown's that lived right above the Buchanan roadside rest? There was a Clifford Brown who was probably around your age. What ever happened to them?

You don't remember but your older sisters will remember the streetcar diner my grandparents had just above their house. Marie may not remember but Ione would. They had an interesting location. The county line went thru their yard so part is Lake county and part St. Louis county.

DAB will be responding but just to let you know he was around all the French River commercial fisherman, our uncle fished part time when he wasn't working on the railroad. Haven't tried the Hanson boys fish place in Two Harbors but will do so this summer. I see lots of people there when I drive by. I also heard that Mark Torgerson and some others bought Sivertson's Fish Co. over in Superior. Was Arne Bugge in on that?

Which of your brothers is in North Carolina, Butch or Chris? Didn't Butch retire from the Navy? He always reminded me of your uncle Nick.

I'll bet many of you don't remember there was a Tavern on the Old North Shore Road east of the Alseth Road. It was called Guy's Inn. Guy Hallock was the proprietor and he was a piano player. Torggy, ask your dad if he remembers it. Also, Stribling's gas in Palmers belonged to Elmer Mandelin at one time. Stribling bought the old Lakewood train station and moved it behind the gas station across the railroad tracks and converted it to apts. It was quite a large station. Sat just east of the Lakewood Road on the Old North Shore Road. Another piece of trivia, Nick and Eva Ratkovich (Lloyd and Kathy's parents) had a new home on the Holmstead which had to be moved when the expressway was built. It was moved up to the Bergquist Road above Nolte's store. It's still there today, I don't know who owns it now. Archie Saavala was the first owner, in fact, he probably had it moved. I'll ask Kenny Mandelin when I get back there this summer.

Also Kathleen, didn't your Hanson relatives tear down Bloomingdale School. It seems to me I recall that Lyle and Ella built their home on the Hanson Road, some of the lumber was from Bloomingdale so part of the school is still around.

Kathleen, ask Marie Elana if she remembers the 4th grade teacher, Mary Ann Eskali. I ran into her out here in the SF Bay area quite a few years ago. She still lives up in Hayward, CA. That was quite a shocker. I blew her away because I remembered she was from Sleepy Eye, Minnesota-yes there is a Sleepy Eye, MN!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 217

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, that house that Ratkovich had, and was moved up above Notlte's store, is that the one on the same side of the road as Kenny Mandelin's? Curt and Mary Lou Nelson lived in a newer home there. We used to go and visit them often.

Yes, there is a Sleepy Eye, MN, I have relatives down there!!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, yes, that's the house. They bought it from Archie, I believe. Ask Howard, he'll remember.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cann't belive you remember my sisters middle name I justtalked to Maria Elana today . she lives in walker mn she is coming up next week to visit I remember the tavern Hallock's right up the hill from weideman's I didn't realize Ella and Lyle's house had some of Bloomingdale's lumber in it pretty cool I got my sister Ione hooked on the forum now she is reading the threads now she is thinking about getting her own computer when Bunny comes up I,ll have her get on it maybe I can get her hooked also that would be neatI also remember the gas station I was little but I remember it being there my brother Chris lives in south carolina my brother butch lives between here and Texas He's a snow birdHe was a career man in the army gets a pretty good pentionI went down the Hanson rd the other day haven't been down there since my aunt died I couldn't believe how it has changed the people that bought my aunts house built a new house right in the middle of the road so you cann't get to shammies any more. I guess my cousins had rights to fish there as long as Kenny was alive but when he died the rights were gone.also the hanson family has their fish shop resteraunt for sale so I don't know whars going on there I talk to their mother Lillian ,Kenny's wife but don't ask questions about the kids.Marycoully the chiropractor the has her business on Holmstead rd next to the new resturant ownes Ella and LYles house on Hanson rd I wonder if the county will change the name now that their aren't any Hanson's living there any more!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 218

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, I got out my 55 yearbook and see Ione was Princess she was a Junior for Homecoming. Nancy Johnson was queen she was a Senior, and I also recognized Groshek as princess also. Ask her if both Groshek girls were princess's that year? Roberta was a Sophmore and Charolette was a Freshman, as sure looks like them. No names were associated with the pictures.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, didn't your brother Butch have some land in Silver Creek that he built a cabin on? Sounds familiar but just can't remember. Does he still have it? We were talking about mink ranches earlier on the post. Didn't Butch work at one of them before he went in the service? Still miss your biscuits from Hardee's. They were the best!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to see my sister today if she comes up here I'll have her sit down on the computer and read all of this stuff my brother Butch did have some land upm in silver creek right after his wife died he decided to build a summer place up here but then he sold it and decided to buy a 5th wheeler and traveled and finally awinter home in Texas and 5th wheeler up here in the summer Boy I made biscuits at Hardee's for year I've been divorced for years and worked two jobs for years untill my kids got done with college every body told me they missed my biscuts when I quit but getting up at 4 in the morning and making biscuits and then coming home and going to the nursing home from 2 to 11 every day got pretty old after 8 years but you do what you have to do!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

forgot to answer about the mink ranch yes he worked for Meanard Johnson for years.also a few threads back about Diamond mink ranch he worked there when he was youg he worked with Phill Langlis [Langley]Phill's mother Doris lived at the nursing home I worked at till she died saw Phill every summer a different classic car every time he came up from wisconsin got married again after his girls grew up he raised them lives between Florida and Ohio maybe cann,t remember ,ehe comes up every summer to see Jim weidemen PeggySundstrom and I have kept in touch she married Jim's brother and had Kyle I watched Kyle grow up went to his wedding last fall we go to Texas together he is a part of our familyhis garage does all of my work on my car we are heading out next month for Texas we are all getting together down there cause my niece is graduating from high school

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dab my sister Ione remembers you was Mickey winters evert swartz nancy johnson and larraine abrahanson in your class?my sister is sarting to read the thread but doesn't have enough nurve to reply so just say hi and she will read it Also LWM clifford brown was the father he bought all o the land between the railroad tracks and the old road thinking he was going to make a killing because he thought the freeway was going to go through there surprize!Clifford had two son's Kenny and I cann't remember the other one they moved to duluth on london rd never heard from them again Also LWM do your remember Falks boat building shop in French River My Dad built your Uncle Ray his last skiff for him there It was Rod Falks place my auntie Millie Kendall's second husband

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 219

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laraine Abrahamson is my aunt.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, Loraine, Nancy,Marlyn Jackson Flatley,Carolyn Loomis left before end of year, Mickey Winter, Evertt Swartz, Ron Jackson, John Jackson, George Jackson.I remember Rod Falks mother& sister Joyce. They had a restruant in Larsmont. Rod's mom worked at the Wonderland. I was to there home several times. Joyce and her mother were good pepole.
Ione, Hi hope every thing is well with you. You just have to get on this site and that may just bring on more. Not to worry about spelling or correct english. the computer language is goofy to began with. Anyway I turn 71 next Sat so I blame it on my age.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie my sister was wondering who you were related to she also was questioning who your aunt was that was't feeling wellIone has to use the computer at work so she does't have a lot of access to it but she really is thinking about getting one I'll get her hooked yet! In case I forget dab Happy Birthday next saturday

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the restaurant that Joyce and Tyra Falk owned was right outside Two Harbors. It was called Sportsmans Lodge I think. Would have been where Benna is now. Is that right? Wow, long time ago.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 220

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Side Track was built in 1951, when it was known as the White Caps. Also called Sportsman Lodge and later Oasis and Hafners. I remember hearing of The White Caps, and the Oasis, they had great pizza, but Hafners, that is a new one to me. Remember when it burnt down. Jerry Egerdahl had it when it was called Oasis.

Sidetrack had an antique shop, miniature golf course, gift shop, arts and crafts shop and a tourist information center!!!! All I remember is the pizza, all you can eat pizza night!! We used to gather there with friends, when our kids were younger!

Kathy, tell Ione, my relatives are Abrahamson's, some, not all, long story. As I said Laraine is my aunt, grew up with her, and still have two uncles left, Bobbie and Howard. It is Bobbie's wife that had the back surgery, and hopefully she will be able to walk better, and be without terrific pain!! Surgery went well yesterday. Laraine left today on a cruise to Jamaica...lucky!!!

I agree with DAB, tell Ione not to be afraid to go on here and post, don't worry about making mistakes, who cares!! Just enjoy, and have fun posting, and the contact that we have going here.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to school with Tyra her last name was Pederson Joyce her mother was a Falk but married a Pederson There was a resturant where Ford motor is but it was called many different names through the years at one time wasn't it a Pizza place? I moved away for a few years when Joyce owned the resturant I mustn't have been around Bloondie help us out here!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloondie that was fast you red my mind I remember when it was SPortsman I think my mother worked there then and the Side track that was a family pizza place wasn't it?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, I remember the skiff well. It was green on the bottom, white on top with a varnished interior. Looked just like the old Shell Lake boats. My dad sold it after Ray passed away. It was in our yard in French River for awhile. I think a guy by the name of Ray Ronning bought it.

The old White Caps was owned by the Westbergs when I remember it. Bill Westberg was the son. He passed away a few years ago.

Blondie, glad to hear your aunt is doing ok. Back problems are not fun!

DAB, I thought Marilyn Jackson Flatley was the same age as Janice Jackson Olson, Carol Johnson Leppala and Louis Mattson? Help me out here-must be Saturday night fog.

Brace yourselves, Northern MN, it's pouring rain out here in CA. Supposed to get two feet of snow up in the mountains at the higher elevations. The storms usually head in your direction.

Kathleen, the reason I remembered your sisters middle name is that I spent my second grade in with the third graders at Bloomingdale. Our class was too big then. I also was with her class in the sixth grade. By the way, I heard today that Mary Ann Beck experienced a rather serious medical problem so let's all wish the best for her. She was in Bunny's class.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, don't know if you're aware, Peggi is my cousin-you would have seen me at Kyle's wedding. Kyle is one of my golf partners, in fact, I owe him a round of golf for putting my travel trailer in at the fairgrounds in TH. He'll be taking it out for me in a couple of weeks. Peggi should be proud, she raised a fine young man.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 221

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM ,I didn't know that the old White Caps was once owned by Westberg, interesting. Kathy do you remember Bill's dad, he was in our home, or was it before you started there? We remember it being called Oasis when they had pizza, but could be wrong. Kathy for the life of me, I can't place your sister Bunny. The name I remember, but can't place a name with the face. (Is Marie nicknamed Bunny or is it Ione? I know Ione, but Marie is the one I can't place.)

LWM, keep your snow out there up in the mountains, yes, storms that you guys get out west usually head our way. Seeing the temps can't seem to get up there, it could snow!! As usual, "colder by the lake"...get so tired of hearing that. I have things to do outside, and been too windy and cold to be out. Inland, always warmer.

I remember when I worked down on the shore, it was always so cold down there, and get home and it would be hot.

Sorry to hear that about Mary Ann Beck. I remember her, she was a petite little thing, her brother Bobbie graduated with me. I certainly hope the best for her. LWM, is she still in the area?

We didn't know Kyle got married. He sure is a nice guy.

Marilyn Jackson is the same age as Laraine.

(Message edited by Blondie on April 22, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 855

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sidetrack inn
sidetrack story

With that this thread has gotten long enough. Time for another.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration