Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Homesteaders < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 856

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From a 1977 issue of the Landmark which my sister found
story 1
story 2

torggy

Post Number: 857

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

picture
story 3
story 4

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to here about Mary ann my sister Maria is Bunny she grauduated in 59 I hope Kyle gets your camper out pretty soon cause we are leaving for Texas in mid May although him and his wife are flying down and Ione and I are driving We are staying at Ione's daughter's house her daughter is the one the one graduating from high school.We went down last year because My nieces son got married we always have a blast down there

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, won't be a problem with my trailer, it's got to be out of the building the first Sat. in May.

Torggy, my uncle George Sundstrom standing up in the picture. He was one of the founders of the Homesteader's, I believe. Unfortunately, I can't read it. Must be an MSN-TV thing. I tried to enlarge the print but couldn't. Oh well!

Blondie, check on that Westberg thing. The reason I think they owned the Whitecaps is when Bill was a little kid he had multiple surgeries to correct a birth defect and the Duluth paper mentioned them as owning the Whitecaps. Ask your husband since he's from Two Harbors. He may remember. DAB, you might remember. I see the Moose Lodge made the T.H. paper. I was a member when I lived back there but not now. I am a lifetime member of the Veterans oF Foreign Wars there in T.H., since 1970.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, forgot to answer your question about Mary Anne Beck. I believe she and her sisters Irene and Bernice all live up on the range-I'll have to ask their brother Pete. I know Kenny is in Cloquet, and I think both Dan and Ted are in T.H.

Do you ever see Reijo Vastila in town? I went down to his house several times last summer but couldn't find him home. Someone said he was going to move back to the farm in Alden Township. I want to show him my pictures from my trips to Finland. He moved from Finland and joined us in the 5th grade, I believe.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saw reijo at the grocery store the other day but did't chat Blondie and I both took care of his mother at the nursing home what a character hugh Blondie just visited her grave the other day when Ione and I went to Lakeview at Palmers to visit our Moms grave My sister I Ione taught Rheio how to read English or something when she was in school cause he couldn't speake English when he started here!

torggy

Post Number: 858

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It can be hard to read those things after being processed through so many computers. I sent you a clean bigger copy.

Anyone else that has trouble reading things just let me know.

wonderland ad

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 223

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't have any trouble reading the story Torggy.
LWM, I asked my husband about Whitecaps, and he doesn't recall, but said it is possible. Even if someone from TH forum comes on here, maybe they can help out. I know Bill worked for the railroad.

I haven't seen Reijo in awhile, but I usually run into him at the grocery store also. I should call Roger Saamanen, he probably knows if he is living back up to the farm. Our classmate Mike Johnson, relative of Reijo's, was staying at the farm for awhile taking care of it, but know Mike isn't there anymore.

Yes both Ted and Dan B live in town. I wasn't sure if all the girls were still up on the range. Kathy B lives in town as far as I know. I haven't seen Kenny in years, just years. I know he remarried, so he lives in Cloquet now huh. Does his X still live down on Greenwood? Didn't she have a beauty shop there? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Kathy our son just got back from visiting Texas, loved it down there. Can you sneek me in your suitcase!!!

We have been out all morning, just came in, putting a huge trellis together, it was cool, but it is so warm out there now. Wish the sun would show though.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your son went down there at the right time when we go it is going to be hot but cann't help that cause thats when my niece graduates next if we go I'm all for going in march and april like we did last yearIT'S SO DREARY AROUND HERE WE ARE SUPPOSE TO GET THUNDER STORMS I think it is time for an afternoon SIESTA

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, boy did we get hit with the heavy rains. I looked out, and it was a river running down our alley and I imagine right in our garage also.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, it left quite a bit of standing water here during the night. I checked the live cam that looks at the Aerial Bridge this pm and couldn't see anything thru the raindrops! Couldn't see anything from the tower cam. One nice thing about that kind of rainfall is that it washes up the winter crud that has accummulated over the winter. Years ago it was about now that we would start getting excited about smelting season. One of the advantages of living near the lake. We could take a dipnet down and see if anything was around. Didn't have to freeze our backsides off without any results.

Your question about Sandy's Hair place. She's still there, cuts my hair (whats left of it) while I'm there. Her husband is my golfing partner-not many golfers down in that French River Greenwood Road area other that Dan and Gerry Fuentes and their son and daughter.

We play Nemadji over in Superior quite a bit, once in awhile Lester River and Enger. We like Silver Bay alot. Two Harbors needs a company in there that runs golf courses. No offense to the city workers but they're just not trained in proper golf course maintenance-they do the best they can with what they have. A ride down the first hole fairway in a golf cart is an experience to behold! It's like riding on a hardened lava flow. Will try out the course at Giant's Ridge this summer. I hear good things about it. We drove in there a year or so ago and it looked very nice. I'd have to say the most beautiful course I've played is Kapalua on Maui, both the Bay and Plantation courses. The Plantation course is where the pro tour opens it's season each year. The scenery is spectacular. We spent five days there four years ago and I played the whole time I was there-my idea of the perfect vacation!

I played Caeser Park in Cancun back in 99 and that was nice but nobody bothered to tell me there are crocodiles that sun themselves on the fairways. I shanked a ball over near the lagoon and pulled up to the side of the hill and grabbed an iron and started walking down to the ball. The guy riding with me yelled "Alligator", I thought it was an old log, it was the same color as the logs you see in a swamp. I think I took one step to get to the cart and no, I did not take a penalty stroke!!!!!

Silverado up in Napa is another gorgeous golf course. It's right in the middle of the Napa Valley (this is very close to Boon). I marshalled the Senior Tour Transamerica Tournament so got to speak with quite a few of the seniors. Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, just to name a few. Most of them are true gentlemen, only a few hotheads.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 714

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Reijo is indeed back on the farm.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Two Harbors Golf coarse was just sold to a big corporation they will turn it around I am sure right now my cousin Earl Kendall's son in law is running it for the city He is a city employee so they will find him another position when the deal is set also Scott and his wife Deanna Earls daughter just bought the Dixie Star

torggy

Post Number: 859

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Acording to the DNR site:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/lakesuperior/smelt.html

The French, Sucker and Little Sucker are closed to smelting. Course smelting is not what it used to be but that sure would have put a hitch in spring time to not be able to dip the French. Smelting season used to signal it was time to ditch the old girl friend and get a new one.

Can remember times going down to the river to find huge crowds of people and no smelt. Other times I would go down there with no one around and the river just teeming with'em.

Sure miss those days.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 226

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunny now, and I looked out, and the grass sure greened up with that rain. Yes, LWM, we needed a rain to wash away the remanents of winter.

You sure love to golf don't you. Sounds like you played some nice courses, and an interesting one at that!!!! I took golf lessons once, or I should say signed up for them. The first lesson I knew it wasn't for me, so that was it. I am not good at any kind of sports!

Memories flew back when you talked about the fairways being rough at the course here. My husband used to be greenskeeper there, many years ago. I was very overdue with the birth of our son, so he took me for a ride around the course in the little truck he had there on those very bumpy fairways, in hopes it would help...did it work NO!!! So, I know just what your talking about. Like he said, you can only do so much with the equipment you have, and the seasonal workers that they hire, some were good workers, and some were no help at all!! I remember him getting up early in the morning to move the sprinklers on the greens and fairways, try to get that done before the golfers got on the course.

Yes we heard that about the Dixie being sold to Scott. My husband saw him a couple days ago, and asked him if he was going to keep the Fri & Sat night feeds, and he said he sure is, that is the money maker. Kathy I didn't know Earl was a cousin of yours, you must be related to almost all of Knife River in some way or another.

LWM mentioned Dan Fuentes, he graduated with my son. I run into his dad all the time at the grocery store and we chat. I told him the last time, that we had to quit meeting like this!!! He got a good laugh out of that.

Torggy, now your old flames are going to know why they got dumped when smelting season came around

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got off the golf course. Beautiful day out here, not a cloud in the sky and around 65. I belong to a Men's Club and we play Mondays and Thursdays (when I'm in town). Glad to hear they have sold the course there in T.H.

Kathleen, where is Terry Hood going or will he stay in T.H. (Long time owner of Dixie Star). My sister-in-law worked with him at Husky years ago.

Anybody know the status of the new Lighthouse restaurant in Palmers? I'm looking forward to trying it out when I get there. They are a nice family and I wish them much success.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 19

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First round of the year LWM? Did you play at Nemadji?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I live out in California. I play Nemadji in the summer months. It's a great golf course. The pro there, Carlson, is a nice guy.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know what Terry is going to do get this Bloondie Terry was married to my step niece and they bought My niece's Grandma's house Any one remember Mary lou Lynch ? her husband was the one that drowned at Thomas Lake years ago anyway my brother Butch married her and took over raising her kids Diana was the oldest she was married to Kerri Ojay first and had a son with him then married Terry Hood they bought her grandma's house and when they divorced he got the house Butch wanted to buy it back so bad but no go my brother and mary and the kids traveled all over the world any way but he wanted it to stay in the familyboy I wish I could remember Mary's mother's name help me out blondie any way nice day cleaned house as best I could Social Security sent me a letter so I am official disabled now I am really depressed my sister Ione wants to know whats wrong with Mary Ann Beck and where are the rest of the sisters? Blondie yoiu are right I'm related to everyone around here one way or the other

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 228

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Years back we had an Ida Lynch in the home. She was a little pettite lady. I think they lived up the state road somewhere. That is the only name that comes to me Kathy.

I remember Kerri Ojay. Wasn't Kerri also married to someone else?

I wish our brother in law Kenny Olson was still alive, any questions he could answer, he knew everyone, who was related to who, etc.

I know Ona owns a house in Duluth, that isn't the house your talking about though is it Kathy? Know her and Terry used to have a motor home, so maybe now they will travel around some.

I spent hours outside yesterday priming that lattice fence, only one section done. Decided to buy spray primer, enough is enough with the brush, spraying will take less time.

(Message edited by Blondie on April 25, 2007)

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Ida was my sister in laws mother in law from her first marriage My sister in laws mother was Tubman they lived down from the high school does that ring a bell? Kerri married whats her name that works at the state farm office she had a girl with Kerri he died of diabetis while they were still married to early in the morning I guess

torggy

Post Number: 860

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary Ann Nukala, 65, of Angora, died unexpectedly Saturday, April 21, 2007, at St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth. She was born on Sept. 26, 1941, at Two Harbors, the daughter of Frank and Elna (Elickson) Beck. She grew up in Clover Valley (near Two Harbors), and graduated from Clover Valley High School in 1959. She had a talent and appreciation of art and was the artist for the class year book, and later took painting and art classes. After high school, Mary Ann was employed for five years as a key punch operator for former M.P.&L, (now Minnesota Power) in Duluth. While living in Duluth she enjoyed bowling. She married LeRoy Nukala on Aug. 27, 1965, in Sisseton, S.D. After marriage, the couple lived in Alango Township, where she has since resided. Mary Ann was a devoted mother and grandmother, and enjoyed taking numerous videos and pictures of them in their school and church activities, along with family events. She also enjoyed traveling, which included seeing the estate of her favorite musician, Elvis Presley's home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee. She loved gardening especially her begonias and rose bushes Mary Ann is preceded in death by her husband, LeRoy on Jan. 21, 2007; parents, Elna Beck in 1989 and Frank Beck in 1998; brothers, Allen Beck in 1998 and Robert Beck in 1972. She is survived by daughters, Sherry (Charles) Lokken of Angora, and Kelly (Tim) Brodeen of Cook; God-daughter, Tammy Souder of Virginia; brothers, Peter (Catherine) Beck of Duluth, Ken (Debra) Beck of Carlton, Ted (Sue) Beck of Two Harbors, Dan Beck of Two Harbors, and Roger (Julie) Beck of Duluth; sisters, Irene Beck of Portland, Ore., Bernice (Loren) Souder of Biwabik, and Kathy Oberg of Two Harbors; grandchildren, Shelby, Rylee and Wyatt Lokken, and Krystal and Megan Brodeen; along with numerous nieces and nephews. SERVICE:1 p.m. Friday in the First Baptist Church in Cook. Visitation will be one hour prior to the service in the church. Pastor Randy Swenson and Brenda Tibbetts AiM (Associate in Ministry) will be the co-officiants. Casket bearers will be Mary Ann's nephews, Terry Souder, Greg, Jeff, Dale, Gary, Lonny, Larry, Todd, Jeremy, Eric, Scott, and Steve Beck. Interment will be at the Alango Township Cemetery. Arrangements are with the Mlaker Funeral Home in Cook.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 4/24/2007.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 229

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is too bad about Mary Ann Beck passing away. I see her husband just died this Jan. So sad!! Sympathy goes out to the family.

mary ann beck

Kathy, Phoebe Tubman. Phoebe also was in our home!!

Debbie Quarm(spelling?) that is who was married to Kerri. Her mother just lived over the next block from the home.

(Message edited by Blondie on April 25, 2007)

bud
Regular Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,
Just read your post on Delores. How is she? I will be in Duluth next week and will stop by if she can have visitors.
LWM, Yes, I do remember when you picked me up. I think you actually picked me up twice. Once to show a kid "way out of his element" around and the second time to let me know in a very gentle way that Mike had just passed away. You and your wife probably don't realize what that meant to me, but it is one of those times you will never forget. Thanks. Interesting, Just as I figured out who LWM was, I was thinking to myself, I wonder if he remembers picking me up and toting me around SF and spending the day at your home, then picking me up again to let me know about Mike. I remember seeing you and your brother D coming home in your uniforms, telling stories, and Mike and I would be all ears. (and snitch a few beers) That's when I first decided if I had to go into the military, the Navy is where I'd go. I also remember your SS396, Mike and I would take it out "once in a while" (don't know if he had permission or not") to keep it running for you. (didn't your brother J buy it from you) Maybe we kept it running for him?) Wow, was it fast! Mike and I used to drive your Dads Cadilac or my Dads old 52 Buick around the rest of the time, until Mike rolled the old Buick on the Lismore road at the Intersection with the Berquist. We where taking turns seeing how far to the side we could get the old Buick to slide in the dirt.(I'm sure that didn't help Mikes heart)
Mike used to make bread all the time at the house for your Dad and your Dad was always trying to get me to eat Lutefish (sp?)you guys had it for Xmass or some special time once or twice a year. YUK! Great memories!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bud, good to hear from you. I understand you are somewhere on the east coast.

Yea, I had sold the Chevelle to brother J, he was also over in SE Asia at the same time as brother D and I. He was in a far more dangerous spot. He was up on the DMZ firing a 175 Howitzer. 14 months worth. Being swabbies, we were always on the water.

I heard those stories, some from Les Jackson cause I think he was one of your mischief partners, right?

I recall your dad having a carpool too. I think he had either a 53 or 54 Chev, light blue and white. Little bit of rust too!!! I know Peggy Gustafson and Leona Lundin, Chucks mom, rode with him. He was at MP&L for quite a few years, right? What year did you guys graduate? Did you guys go to Bloomingdale?

If you make it to Duluth in the summer, stop and see me. I'm in Knife River Campground, Space #4.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 230

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, Delores would like that. She called this morning, seemed a little nervous, and actually they are probably admitting her to Lake Shore right at this time.
Oh yes, visitors are allowed. You can call there to make sure that she is still in there when you come next week.
Hopefully, she won't be in there too long, just get her strength back, and maybe walk a little better. Part of the walking though is not due to the back, but to her other health issues.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried sending a message on the thread last nite but it didn't go through yes nancy Rassmusen is my deased sister in law mary lou's sister I thought of mrs. Tubman's name after I got off the computer the other nite and Ida lynch was my sister in laws mother in law by her first marriage she was married to Ida's son that drowned at Thomas Lake Years ago lets try to send this one keep talking about cars guys brings back memories

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 232

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a lovely visit with Boon, she just left. They think it is just a matter of days for her dad, but as Kathy and I know all too well, never can tell.

LWM, Boon told me to say "Hi" to you, and she will be talking to you when she gets back. I told her she could have gone on the net here, but she said no, that was fine. She said she would be hours on it!!!! I know what that is like.

We went by the new restaurant the other day, and it is coming along good. Looking forward to it opening.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 233

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I think I read somewhere, that it is your 17th BD today, isn't it great when you can turn it around!!!!!

happy birthday

party animals

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

happybirthday
Yes, Happy Birthday DAB!!!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Happy Birthday, DAB and hope you have many, many more!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Birthday to YOU!!!SPRING CHICKEN!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 235

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read in the paper this morning, that Violet Sunde, our cook at Bloomingdale, died.

Wow did gas take a hike, it is $2.85 now!!!

torggy

Post Number: 863

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Giddings, Violet Sunde

Violet Sunde Giddings, 96, Two Harbors, died Friday, April 27, 2007 at the Lake View Home. She was born March 3, 1911 to Andrew and Hannah (Hoppala) Barthell in Butte, Montana, and moved to Larsmont with her family as a child. She married Hilmer Sunde and they made their home in Knife River for many years. Vi was employed as a cook for St Louis County rural schools - Bloomingdale and North Shore Elementary for 40 years, retiring in 1976. She enjoyed cooking traveling, and ceramics, and was a member of Living Waters Fellowship and the Palmers Ladies Aide. She is preceded in death by her parents; first husband, Hilmer Sunde in l978; second husband, Rodney Giddings in l996; and brother, Milton Barthell. Vi is survived by her daughter, Marlene (Lester) Mattson of Two Harbors; a son-in-law, Louis Murphy; brother, Walter Barthell of Two Harbors; two sisters, Eve Thompson of Decatur, Ill. and Mildred Miller of Larsmont; step-son, Rodney Giddings, Jr.; grandson, Dana (Sally) Murphy; two great-grandchildren, Ryan and Danielle Murphy; and several nieces and nephews. VISITATION:10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. service on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at Living Waters Fellowship, Two Harbors. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 4/29/2007.

I understand there is an article about Violet in this months Township news letter. It is not posted on line yet so I have not been able to see it.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw the article in the paper today also I just talked to her nephew on friday he said she wasn't doing to good when she was more with it at the nursing home we use to talk knife river and school she remembered me for quiet a few years at the nursing home then she started forgetting she was a good old girl knew what she wanted right up to the time I retired in january she will be missed

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 237

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy, I didn't know she was in the home, do you know how long it was? Was she there when my sister in law was in there? I really liked her, and she knew who I was, when I saw her and such a good cook!!! She lived a long life.

Torggy, I also understand that article about my uncle that I wrote to you about is out this month. I was talking to another relative about it, and they said it is in this months newsletter. I thought it was going to be in the May issue, so I was surprised. I too went on the net yesterday, and looked, it is not updated yet. I did drop them an e-mail wondering when they update.

torggy

Post Number: 865

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talking to my parents this morning they said that the article about your uncle was in the newsletter. They also said that this web site was mentioned again this month in the news letter. My thanks to them!

The newsletter can be found at:
http://www.duluthtownship.org/newsletter.htm

The May issue has not been posted online yet.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes violet was there the same time as your Violet but they were on opposite sides I am not very good with dates 3-4 years this time maybe she was there once before to get her strength back I think it was after her second husband died then she went to live with Marlene

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 239

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought Violet Sunde was in the home when I was working, and acutally, I had started writing that in the previous post, and took it out. I know at that time, I was working the "very early shift", so I wasn't taking care of residents pre say, so I didn't take care of her.

I know my Violet moved across the hall, after I left, and I have been gone for quite a few years already!!!! I just never saw V.S. when I went up to visit my sis in law.

No reason to go up there anymore, and not many left that I knew when I worked, including staff!!

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sure is quiet around here any one alive?

torggy

Post Number: 867

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet the nicer weather has everyone out and about doing things.

The Township newsletter has said it is okay for us to post some of their articles as long as we give them the credit. They have some great stories that I bet many will like.

hatfields

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the birthday greeting. It was a good day, all the kids were here and outlaws. We had a early dinner out. the three kids and boss lady all chipped in and I have a new Dell to play with.
Warren: That 37 bus of Walter's ran like a top.
Torggy: Your right his bus was very quiet He was at full concentration at all times. I guess he took the safety of the kids to heart.
A little story: Senior year we were on the road to a football game and for some reason running late. The Coach and players convivced the driver to speed it up or they might foriet the game. I can remember sitting with tha Coach behind the driver and the speedometer was close to 70mph. Of course the driver and coach informed us no one was to know about what took place. Yes the driver was Reino. The bus would even vibrate at times. Mostrom would have had a fit.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good story dab went to lunch with Boon Mary and Mariyln today Boon says her Dad is still hanging on but its only a matter of time she is doing good

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to add that we are trying to get ahold of Gary Nylen any idea LWM we want to tell him about our 4oth reunion

auburnkel
Rookie Poster
Username: auburnkel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now on my bus. We would give the bus driver a standing ovation for passing a parked car, because that is all he could pass...Yep Nillo

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anybody heard an update on the new restaurant
on the Homestead rd. Last I heard they were going to try to be open in May????? If the weather is nice I am coming up the shore on the 20th and would like to stop if they are open by then.

torggy

Post Number: 875

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

niilo
Kathleen, if you post the time, date and location here I know Gary well get the message.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we don't have an official date the that was sent to Gary and came back just stated we are going to have one and we will have all the details by the end of august it will be probably the second weekend in Sept after Labor Day we plan to havr a dinner at the new resturant on saturday and amixer on friday details to follow as they develope as soon as they are all worked out I will post them

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welcome home Blondie Did you go up to see your grandkids your joke was cute

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 241

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kathy. No, we went West...headed for Brainerd area. Actually, stayed in a Lodge that was built in 1920's I believe it was, but totally remodeled. Nice place, good food.(Whiskey steak...the best I have ever had...yes marinated in Whiskey)MMMMMMM!!!!! All rooms face the lake. We had a walk out deck. The only thing, there was just us, oh we heard someone above. Remember that movie with Jack Nicholason...we both thought about that!!! Spent a couple nights there. Toured around the area, spent way too much money in a gift shop, and I do mean way too much!!!

Then I saw an ad for a Lodge in Detroit Lakes. I called prior to heading over there for prices, and got an AARP rate. Walked into the lobby, a baby grand sitting there...wow!!! Walked into our room, if I had false teeth, believe you me, they would have been on the floor. I was speechless. The most beautiful room we have ever had. The bathroom was like a Spa...I wanted to sleep in there!!!! The only thing I didn't like in the bathroom, it was a glass shower, and I could see my old saggy body in the mirror, that depressed me. Excellent continental breakfast!! We certainly will be going back there, it was tops on my list of places.

The leaves were out a little more on Poplar tree's but that was it, yards were green. Temp one morning was 39. It wasn't all that much warmer down there, but we still enjoyed ourselves.

Where did you guys go for lunch?

(Message edited by Blondie on May 05, 2007)

dab
Regular Poster

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LM I think we lost your personal e-mail address

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we went to vanilla bean again glad you had a good time boy that resort sounds great next year when my knee is fixed I'd like to do something like that with both my sisters

torggy

Post Number: 879

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From this months Township news letter:

May 10th is Bob Abrahamson Day
In recognition of a lifetime of volunteering to Duluth Township.
The Town Board will recognize Bob Abrahamsonís service to the Township with a Lifetime
Service Award at their May 10th meeting. Many know Bob from his work over the years at our
Recycling Shed and as volunteer on Town Hall maintenance work. Before that, Bob served for
20+ years as a Township Supervisor where he paid special attention to upgrading Township roads
and handling two severe road-washout floods. Bob served in the Marines. He was a Boy Scout
leader and activity chair for 10 years, and for 25 years has arranged our Township Memorial Day
service. He is a life-long Duluth Township resident and attended the Bloomingdale and Clover
Valley schools. Bob and his wife, Delorisí have two children, Jim and Beth Ann, and two grandchildren,
Corey (who helped Bob at recycling), and Kelly.

There is a great article by Violet Sunde about her life as a cook at Bloomingdale and North Shore Elementry. It is a great read but you have to have have PDF reader to see it.
http://www.duluthtownship.org/pdf/may07_newsletter.PDF

There are also some great pictures of French River and the bridge. They are doing a great job on the newsletter.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a message from Boon on my answering machine this morning her Dad died yesterday at noon his memorial is in duluth on saturday and she is flying home on sunday she sounded good she had a lot of time to accept it before it happened we are going to try and get together before she leaves

torggy

Post Number: 882

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, one thing about the new information age is that not only can the happy times be shared by more people but so can the sad times. My deepest condolances on your loss.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 243

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally I could get this to come up, it took about 4 minutes, but atleast it came up so I could post.
I guess Boon called here yesterday morning also, I was gone, but my husband took the call. I know this hasn't been an easy time for the family, it is hard to watch a loved one pass. Our sympathy Boon.

torggy

Post Number: 883

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donald J. Cameron, 82, died May 6, 2007 at home surrounded by family. He was born Sept. 30, 1924 in Crosby, Minn., to William and Emily Cameron. He graduated from Two Harbors High School in 1942. He joined the U.S. Naval Air Corps soon after and served as a flight engineer and trainer during World War II. Following his honorable discharge, he returned to Two Harbors to work and eventually opened Don's 66 Service. He owned and operated the garage for several decades before returning to his post-secondary education. He graduated from The College of St. Scholastica in 1994 with a bachelor's degree in humanities. He was an early member of the Save Lake Superior Association and served on several boards including the Co-op Light and Power, the First Unitarian Church of Duluth and the Minnesota Humanities Commission. He also was a member of the Free Thinkers Society. A lifelong student of Mark Twain, Don introduced the wit and wisdom of this American writer by portraying him for many audiences throughout the region. He also loved to write, play the banjo and spend time with family and friends. He particularly enjoyed the Men's Group he convened each Monday at the Pines during the last decade of his life. Don was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Duncan; sisters, Leona Olson and Dorothy Newman; and grandson, Ryan Stritzel. He is survived by his wife, Prudy; daughters, Michille (Leo) Purcell, Friendswood, Texas, Linda (Dennis) Johnson, Eagle River, Alaska, Bonnie (Gary) Stritzel, Windsor, Calif., and Rebecca (Mike) Gonzalez-Campoy, Sunfish Lake, Minn.; and son, William, Superior, Wis.; sisters, Lois Laursen and June (Homer) Shayler, both of San Diego, Calif.; and special nephew, Tim (Linda) Olson of Proctor, Minn.; grandchildren, Heather (Phillip) Cash, Willis, Texas, Chief Petty Officer Eric (Donna) Purcell, Guam, Christi (Steve) Bernal, League City, Texas, Shanda (Reid) McDonald, Eagle River, Alaska, Briana (Sam) Theis, Eagle River, Alaska, Aimee, Michael and David Gonzalez-Cameron, Sunfish Lake, Minn.; along with eight great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. CELEBRATION OF LIFE:1 p.m. Saturday, May 12, in the First Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Duluth, 145 W Winona St. Memorials to the St. Luke's Foundation for their Hospice Program are preferred at 1000 East First Street, Suite N102, Duluth, MN 55805. Phone number: (218)726-5555. Online www.slhduluth.com/foundation.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 5/8/2007.

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, deepest sympathy to you and your family.I knew your father well. He was a great person. My prayers go to you and your family during this time of sadness.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, my thoughts are with you in this difficult time for you and your family. Please take comfort in the fact that even though your dad has left your life, the many good memories will never leave. That has always comforted me in difficult times.

I always remember your dad coming out to my car at the gas station to say hello. That was very special for a young guy.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am getting together with Boon tonite at Mary Prestidges's house to say so long to her she will leave on sunday I am sure she will hit the computer as soon as she can she will be back in september for our reunion so it won't be that long till I see her Again

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well just back from our get together it was really nice Boon was there of coarse her sister Linda Cameron Johnson Micki Cameron for got her last name Carmon Lind Mcgregor she graduated from two Harbors with Micki Bill Hollapa Bruce Solem Tom Grub Pixie Gustafson Mary Grub Prestidge Marilyn Grub Story Sandra Rose Grifith and of coarse me we had fun talking about C.V. and "remember when" well better close its pretty late for this old lady!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 246

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, that sounded fun to sit and talk of C.V.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those of you that haven't had a chance to read Violet Sunde's article in the Township newsletter, I suggest doing so. Quite interesting. She was quite a lady. I remember, and this is some years ago, we were having dinner at Shorecrest and my brother spotted Violet sitting by the window with her daughter Marlene. He couldn't resist and walked over as we were getting ready to leave and told her he finished his dinner and could he have a Cheerio. She got quite a kick out of that! I still remember her potato salad as the best I have ever eaten--to this day!!! At Bloomingdale, the last day of school we had a picnic and afterward we were allowed to walk down to Nolte's store.

In those days, each grade had it's own ball field. The first graders were on the west side by the road, the second grade was behind that in the corner beyond the tricking poles, and the third grade was on the side toward Heino's farm or Nolte's store. I recall playing baseball, but don't remember ever playing football there.

Mrs. Mckenzie, the first grade teacher was ancient, was probably standing on the beach when the pilgrims landed. Mrs. Mandelin, the second grade teacher was a great lady. She taught my mother. The third grade teacher, Mrs. Williams, invented crabby-saw her break wooden rulers on hands, fortunately not mine!

Class of 1960, as I remember them:

Ken Beck
Don Peterson
Dennis Olmstead (whom I see her in CA)
Reijo Vastila
Ray Jackson
Curt Nelson
Joe Pearson (lives in So. CA)
Roger Carlson
Bruce Lundgren
Linda Olson Aho
Laurel MacLean Truscott
LaDean Sheldon Wahlberg
June Hiltunen Rabold
Marjorie Gustafson Snell
Betty Kehoe
Frances Peterson Lundgren
Rose Udenberg
Judy Center
Priscilla Mattson
Martin Victor Jackson (Deceased)
Sandra Ness
Charles Julian

Some others who started Bloomingdale but didn't finish at CV:
Helen Oberg
Pat Driscoll
June McCauley
Carol Brula
Leo Johnson
Linda Killstrom
George Kyrola
Darlene Hirsch

There were others that came and gone, just like my brain right now!! Hope I didn't miss anyone.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to include myself in the list-Geez anyway!!!! I have an excuse-the golf course beat me up today!!!!!

allstory
Rookie Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE 1967 CLASS IS STILL LOOKING FOR AN ADDRESS FOR RALPH CAMPBELL, GARY NYLEN AND KATE HANKINS.EMAIL ME AT ALLSTORY@AOL.COM IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO CONTACT THEM. EVERYONE ENJOYED GETTING TOGETHER WAS NICE IT INCLUDED THREE DIFFERENT YEARS 67,66, AND 65. I HAVE HEARD THE NEW RESTURANT ON HOMESTEAD ROAD OPENS END OF THE MONTH, IT IS OWNED BY THE THREE PIERSON SISTERS, WILL BE NICE TO HAVE A PLACE TO GO THAT INTENDS TO SERVE ALL AMERICAN STYLED MEALS THAT THE LOCALS CAN ENJOY YEAR ROUND.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice to have you aboard allstory gee we won't have to call anymore !

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems posting has come to a halt. The weather may have a inpact, sure hope we have not run out of subjects. Maybe the next new thread we could post a brief history of individuals.
We ended our sophmore year with a class fishing trip. Our supervisor's on this trip were Herb Johnson and Elmer Swartz. This trip we spent Three night's One at Herb Johnson's cottage, I think it was pine or pike lake. The last two nights were at Pelican Lake. We had a good time and we did catch some fish.
Our Jr. year we again spent one night at Herb's cottage and with the intention of spending two at Pelican. Turned out there was a mixup in reservations and we only spent one hight.and could not extend them as they had people comming in the next day.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember ending our biolgy class with Mr. Anderson with a trip to Gooseberry in the spring and also a hay ride every year at Paul Shelhons house Mr. Lindquist was our home room teacher from 7th grade on so we had this annuay hay rie at Shelhons we always had a ball up untill I retired I took care of Pauls mother at the nursing home she is still there,I volunteer on thursday's I help with bingo Also Mr. Anderson's biology class the first time we dissected a frog in formaldahide I passed out I must have been allergic to it memories memories!

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and condolences. Our family misses Dad tremendously and we are so grateful to have had the time with him before he passed away. He was able to communicate with us the first week I arrived. The last two weeks he could not talk well and was very weak, altho, he was able to understand us.

It was so much fun to meet Blondie (and Mr. Blondie) on this visit to Two Harbors. It was very special indeed. Next time our class meets again, Blondie, we will be sure to let you know. Thank you so much for the wonderful visit.

I also enjoyed the wonderful company of Bruce Solem, Mary and Marilyn Grubb, Terry Stromberg, Sandy Rose, Joan Nynas, Kathy Wilde, Bill Holappa, Pixie Gustafson, Tom Grubb and my sisters. Visited with Barb and Bob Jackson for awhile which was also wonderful. The bonds we develop from our youth are strong and never forgotten. Thank you to all of you and to all of you on the forum.

We had one warm day (80 degrees). Otherwise, it was cold and chilly but always beautiful. I walked daily and really enjoyed the scenery.

I arrived in CA Sunday. Linda got back to Alaska today and my sister, Mikie, will be leaving on Friday. We will, of course, continue to keep in touch with our family in Minnesota.

I was hoping to meet Madd Maxx and Valley Girl, but I guess that will have to be another visit....

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad you made it home safely I already miss you I don't have an excuse to go for coffee now our lives are so busy everyone but me! but the rest of you will retire slow but surely I cann't wait till fall for our reunion I hope you can make it Boon

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 253

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This time, I decided to walk away, and wait for this thread to come up, instead of sitting watching the screen and getting irritated waiting.
Boon, it certainly was nice that you stopped by for a visit, wish we could have gotten together and chatted more while you were here.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe next time Boon when you get to travel back to the Valley it will be more enjoyable. Not knowing where you traveled while in this neck of the woods, our paths could of crossed. I do get around quite a bit when work is not keeping running. I have been laying low lately, being pretty busy at work but finding the time to chase the Mr. Titlist and hit him with Mr. Ping. Like a true northlander I take the time to enjoy our good weather.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're so good about taking pictures of the area and along the lake shore, I thought perhaps I'd see you doing just that. Who is Mr. Titlist and Mr. Ping? You've got me on that one, Maxx.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess it a good thing I got back on tonight. Titlis (golf ball) & Mr. Ping (golf club). LWM could had explain this one. As for taking some photos. Now that it has rain, everything should green up and make for some good photos.

One time while I was out taking photos, Blonde made a post how she had driven to Duluth. I laugh I had stopped at the wayside rest by French River by the tunnel which was my first stop. Ok, no picture of Blonde driving by the river.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 254

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad Boon asked about Titlis and Ping, as I had no idea who you were talking about Maxx. Hmmm, I think I am going to start paying more attention from now on, when I see someone out taking pictures.
Yes, with all this rain, it is really green. Only thing, I will have to probably cut the grass again, as looks like it really took off now.
Too bad they didn't get some of this rain up where the Forest Fires are burning and destroying homes and cabins, they really need it badly up there. Hopefully our son can return home to his family this week, as sounds like the fires are more into Canada now.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read an article in the duluth paper yesterday in the article it mentioned Mark Falk the sheriff who called for a fire truck to help some people trying to save their homes I bet your proud of him blondie I know I would be if he was my son

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 255

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Kathy, we are very proud of him. He cares very much about the people in his county.

I have a stack of articles we cut out of various papers with him mentioned in almost all of them.

Do you remember hearing about that plane that went down a few years back, and there were two little girls who survived...he is the one who found them. Nothing left of the plane,(pilot and their mother dead) but away from the crash, he saw movement, and up comes a little head.

Then he went out all alone one day, and searched through the ashes,where he figured their mother was sitting and found the mothers wedding ring, with a little help from above!!
He brought it to the jewelry shop to be cleaned, and he made a special trip down to the hospital in Minneapolis where those little girls were at, and gave them their mothers ring!!!!

Now that you know my name for sure, I only think it is fair, that I get to know who a couple posters are also. PM message will do, and I promise to keep my big mouth shut!!!!

(Message edited by Blondie on May 17, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 886

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that is so great! It is so nice to read about good people and the things they do.

I work around many local county sheriffs. As with any walk of life there are always bad eggs. However stories like your son's seem to be more the norm among them. It takes a special breed.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 258

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes torggy, it does take a special breed. May I ask, what do you do that you work around many local county sheriffs....PM if you want, or e-mail.

My husbands cousin was Sheriff in our county for 20 years, so guess it is in the blood.

All I know, since our son was little, he played the part of Law Enforcement. Even in his teenage years, I have a picture on my wall of him and our exchange student, taken out in SD....guess who was the Sheriff!!

Your always going to get bad "eggs" where ever you work, ones that give a bad name. But hopefully the good ones get recognition also.

Talk about special Breeds, where Kathy and I worked, believe you me, that job wasn't for the faint of heart...we were a special breed for sure.

torggy

Post Number: 888

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If my thinking is straight, I believe I took my gun safety training from your husband's cousin the sheriff. In the big house next to the court house in TH. Had a great room full of his gun collection. The class went to the shooting range in the park then on a long walk around the old dump.

I have installed electronic equipment into just about everything that walks, rolls, flies, crawls, or floats for over 30 years. This time of year is what I call "cop car season". I take brand new Crown Vic's with 20 miles on them and drill holes all over. It's kinda therapeutic. Put in the lights, radios, computer, rifle rack, and anything else needed.

I get to meet the leadership to make the overall decisions about the cars and work closely with the rank and file as I get the cars built and delivered. I use a stall in the county shop to build the cars so officers come and go all day.

Build cars for a couple of the smaller towns around also.

In the off season its fire trucks, ambulances, cement trucks, dump trucks and busses among other things. I have put two way-radios into things I did not even know what they were till some one told me.

Having visited several assited living centers on a regular basis, I have great respect for the people that work there. Also my daughter works after school as kitchen clean-up help in one, three or four evenings a week.

everett fuel

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 259

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes torggy that is right, he taught gun safety. That old building is long gone. Actually that housed the jail. His wife used to cook for the inmates.

Thanks for sharing what your connection to law enforcement is.

Goodness I haven't seen Everett S around in ages.

drummer
Rookie Poster
Username: drummer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, it's a small world. we have a cabin up on the gunflint and went to the first meeting that they had. your son gave a presentation. it gives me faith that there are still good leaders in this country. we came out ok on the fire. mark did a fabulous job under a lot of pressure. my 95 year old uncle still lives up there. the one that lived on the hagberg farm for 3 years after his mother died. he went to the alexander ramsey school on the pioneer road for 3 years. he will be heading back to the gunflint sat. after a short visit to clover valley this lsat week. drummer

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 260

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Drummer, yes it is a small world and thanks for the kind words, and so glad that your cabin survived...many were not so lucky.
Oh yes pressure, it was alot I am sure!!!
What lake are you on up the trail?

Who is your Uncle? I am not sure where the farm was on the hagberg?
If you have read past posts, my son used to hunt up on the hagberg, actually last fall, he did spend one day up there hunting, and visiting...think more visiting, he loves to talk with people.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 52

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Madd Maxx, just wanted to let you know that for the first time ever - on my way to work this morning - I saw a car with a bumper sticker that read: "I'd rather be driving a Titleist." Now, how is that for coincidence....I never heard the word until yesterday by you and now I see it on a bumper sticker. Oh, and below that in very soft blue writing in quotes it said: A ball used in golf.

I'm completely educated now....

Hope you are enjoying your day.

allstory
Rookie Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAVING TROUBLE AT MY HOUSE TRYING TO GET ON THIS WEB SITE, ONLY HAVE DAIL UP WHICH IS SO SLOW I COULD NEARLY DRIVE TO TWO HARBORS BEFORE I GET ANYWHERE ON IT. SO ONLY AT THE COTTAGE EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS WHERE HIGH SPEED IS, THEY KEEP SAYING ITS GOING TO BE AVAILBLE NEAR MY HOUSE, I GUESS ITS ON THE MCQUADE ROAD, BUT NOT ON THE LITTLE SIDE ROADS. WANT TO THANK WHOEVER SENT ME RALPH CAMPBELLS ADDRESS. STILL LOOKING FOR GARY NYLEN. NICE TO HEAR FROM SOME THAT ARE OUT OF STATE, LIKE BRUCE CLAVEAU, THAT THEY ARE PLANNING TO COME. MARILYN

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration