Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * My first day at Clover Valley High School. < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to provoke some thought for all of those who read these pages. Even those former students that have not yet posted think back of their first day at school at Clover Valley. I am challenging those readers to make their first post. Take the time to remember and share your first day of school.

Most of us would have been going into the 7th grade others may had jus moved to Clover Valley. The big shots from North Shore or Bloomingdale schools are now at the bottom of the ladder. Some students had older siblings paving the way at Clover Valley and others did not. So of us would be at awe of being at the big school. We knew our place with our own class, and now we must some how fit in with this student body.

Please take your time with your story. Everyone would have different first impressions of their first day at CVHS.

Madd Maxx

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 861

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to John A. Johnson through the 6th grade and we moved to French River in 1963. I started the 7th grade at CV the fall of that year. So everyone was new to me and many had been class mates for years at Bloomingdale. While I do not remember my first day at CV I do remember a very important event that happened that fall.

Class was in session and for some reason I was walking in the empty hallway just passing the Library and about to turn the corner to head down the back hallway when the annoucement was made over the P.A. system that President Kennedy had been shot.

Shortly after I got back to the class room the busses appeared and we all went home.

Perry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the new(er) part of the school opened, Clover Valley held grades 1-12 (no kindergarten in those days) for six years. Some of the elementary students still went to Bloomingdale; for a while we had two elementary sites, there wasnít room at Bloomingdale or at Clover Valley for everyone. When North Shore Elementary opened, Clover Valley became a 7-12 school only.

Members of the first class of 1st graders at Clover Valley were a part of the graduating class of í67. The class of í68 spent one year (their 6th grade) at North Shore. So there was a handful of students, part of the class of í67, that spent all 12 years in the Clover Valley building. These included Marlene Schumann, Alice Larson, Joan Nynas, Roberta Highland, Ron Carlson, Judy Nyberg, and me, and perhaps some others. My apologies to my classmates who qualify for this exclusive club, but whom I have misplaced in my memory. Kathleen, did the students from the Knife River area begin 1st grade at CV, or at Bloomingdale? You may be a member of this club as well.

Itís hard for me to remember my first day at Clover Valley. I was six years old. This was of course a new, exciting, and for some a frightening experience for the students, and I suppose I just wanted to blend into the background and not call attention to myself. Since this was the first year of elementary school in this building, it was the first day of school for the teachers too, at this location. My first grade teacher was Mrs. Kohn (sp?). My only memory of that first day was being questioned closely and at some length about whether I didnít belong in another, perhaps the 2nd grade, classroom. When I insisted that this was my first day ever of school, the teacher acted as if I was the one who was confused. Surely, she thought, I was too big to be a 1st grader. Eventually she let me stay. I donít remember if I was embarrassed for being singled out, or if I was pleased for being thought of as older than I really was.

Bits and pieces of elementary scenes are still with me, but they are few and hazy. I do recall a day in our later elementary years, when the members of the class were being weighed and measured, with the results called out in front of everyone. I was second tallest in the class. Does the girl who was taller than me remember this? She was embarrassed, asked me to stretch as tall as I could when it was my turn, but I couldnít oblige her.

I remember much more of my high school years. I remember students, sports, and teachers. A year or two ago we lost Mrs. Lucy Nash, who was my 10th and 11th grade English teacher, and a teacher I learned something from. Itís hard to look at the ruins of the building, but things are always changing. We should hang on to our memories.

I have been a conscientious lurker on this site, and not a poster, but I do appreciate the opportunity to read all of your contributions to the Clover Valley School and community history.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy Lee [me] Paul Shelhon Darlene Mattson Barb Driscoll I think that all of us Yes I remember Mrs. Kohn and I also remember being so tired that My oldest Ione who graduated the same year I started 55-56 layed my head on her lap and let me sleep all the way home we had to go out the back door of the new part and have our gymn class when it was spring and fall I remember playing kick ball other wise the back door to the gymn was across the hall from our class room we didn't see much of the older kids they did a good job keeping us seperate till we were older I remember me and Judy Nyberg decided she was going to come home with me she road Nilo's bus got off at my stop and my mother didn't know what to do we had no car and mom didn't know where Judy lived some how my Mom got ahold of Judy's Mom and my MOm got her home boy we were in trouble

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot Karen Anderson the Anderson's had a choice of which school they could go to they must have been right on the county boarder the Lee's the Sunde's and Mindestrom's we're close but not right on Mr. Anderson chose the better school Clover Valley also I think Ted Sunde started with us but never finished the anderson's had a chauffer pick them up at their house pd for by the county and drop them off at Kendall's and Nilo woyld pick them up

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloomingdale was my school for grade 1. Then, I started Clover Valley in grade 2 and continued to graduation. The worst? Miss Temple. Oh my she was downright mean. The best? I can't name 1, there were too many. Probably Mrs. Wilmunen influenced my life more than any other teacher with her expectations for success. They were hard to meet, but were rewarded with praise. When I look back now, the A's were great on report cards, but it was the feeling of success that so many of the teachers gave us that was more important. Every one of us was expected to behave, achieve, and succeed. It didn't matter who we were or who we were related to. If we tripped up, parents were contacted, and unlike today, the problem was solved immediately. We were free to be children and guided in adolescence, all without a counselor per grade level and extra principals for paperwork and discipline. Teachers drove many miles to school or lived there. Mr. and Mrs. Nash would welcome us after school. I visited them a few times near Floodwood, where they retired and was still made to feel welcome. Back to the topic. I was in awe as I went to my class the first day. We were the last room in the new building. It was the nicest school I had ever seen! And so big! I had a locker. I would hang my wet pants and coat in it. Pant were worn under the dresses and skirts to keep the legs warm. When we were older, it was the skirt that would hang in the locker and we kept the pants on instead. I remember the panic when I forgot my handkerchief one day. We had to have one on our desk or we got points taken off. I don't remember what the points did, but I remember crying because I forgot it. I remember bringing in a dime and putting it in the slot on the card for the March of Dimes. It was the only dime I gave and was a big deal.We couldn't have afforded more. I remember going and getting a sugar cube with some red liquid on it. It disappointed me. I expected more. It shouldn't have because I was then protected from Polio. I remember sticking with kids in my own grade level in younger years, but as we all got older, it was not uncommon for grades above and below to become friends. This forum is proof of a successful education for all of us and I thank the webmaster for making it possible to share and remember.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well valleygirl I sure would like to know who you are since you liked my biscuits and all

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First day going to Clover Valley for me was to be at football practice. Two weeks before the start of school, I was going to play football. That August of 1970 getting a ride to the school and then seeing the gym. The floor was all humped up. Someone told me not to walk on top of the humps while walking in the gym. I donít remember any other 7th graders there at practice. I just remember 3 seniors who were there (Zeke, Owl and Chris.). I sure there must had been other seniors but are the one that come to mind. Going through all work in the preseason that coach Swanstrom put the team through. I thought I was going to die. Practice was all day with a break during lunch time. I was stuck with Coach Vern who told the stories about Olaf Gunderson and Conrad Sunde. I kept up with the season even though I was being killed in the drills. I didnít get a jersey for that year. I didnít get to travel to the road games but got out of class for the home games.

Once school started, seeing the all of the older students in the hallways. The teachers lounge being right across from the bathrooms. Being in Mr. Gís room and having him warn the class to be quiet because the man is coming. Through the window of Mr. Gís door seeing the bald head of Ben Borklin the principle. I think Borklin was shorter then most of us 7th graders. Changing rooms for different classes was a big change for all of us new to the school.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just laughing when reading Madd Maxx. I remember the teachers opening the lounge door and it was so blue and hazy you couldn't even see in.

torggy

Post Number: 862

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the first year I went to CV, 1963, was the first year of the 7-12 arrangement. I did not realize it at the time but it must have been quite a change for everybody. New teachers, kids that had been in, say, the fourth grade the year before must have been moved to North Shore for the fifth grade and lots of other things changed around.

One teacher I remember was Miss Gazette. The hell we put that poor woman through!

Everyone remembers Mr. Anderson and his habit of telling stories. I was in his 8th grade home room class. One morning we were sitting in the class room waiting for Mr. Anderson to come in. One of the 9th graders from the next room down snuck into our room with a copy of the book "Anderson's Fair Tales" and set it on Mr. Andersons desk. We all thought it was great fun. Except when Mr. Anderson came in and opened the book he found a note saying "from your loving 8th grade class".

Well needless to say the stuff hit the fan. For some reason Alan Nylen and myself became the chief suspects in the crime. Of course you could not tattle on someone in a class above you. That would put your life in danger. So we sat there with our mouths shut and took the hit. I do not think he ever forgave us for that even though we told him many times we had nothing to do with it.

Speaking of the teachers lounge, here is how I found it last summer:
teachers lounge

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 231

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was gone by the time you got up to CV torggy.
How well I remember Ms. Gazette, my least favorite teacher. I think I can honestly say, she is about the only teacher that I didn't like, and sure the feeling was mutual!!! Torggy, was that a painted mural on the wall there?

I can visualize Mr. Anderson standing up there by his desk. He used to always ask me to read to the class, guess I was a good reader. I didn't like it though, as I was shy.

Yes, how I remember when the door to the teachers lounge opened up, it was that blue haze. The nurses room was right next door.

Valleygirl, when I went to school, no slacks were allowed, only skirts, and I must say, some were pretty tight skirts...not mine though We did the same thing, wear slacks under our skirts in the winter, and as soon as we got to school, off they came, hung in the locker. Going to Bloomingdale, it was those long white socks, anyone remember them? I remember how I hated them, and many times, when I got out to the end of the road, off they would come and I would freeze my legs, but just as soon do that, than wear those darn things!!!! Before I left school, I would put them on again.

I guess moving up to CV was no big deal for me, as I don't remember anything about it. What I remember is our class was with half of the grade ahead of us, and our room was first on the left going up the stairs. I know the "big kids" were always nice to me. The only class room I remember being in, in the new part, was the very first room at the beginning of the hall, just past the library, above the cafeteria.

Did they still have that milk machine down in the cafeteria when some of you "younger kids" were there? Used to pay a nickel for milk, and I was the milk monitor quite often.

Question for Maxx, did you graduate from CV? How about you Valleygirl?

I remember when the bell rang for changing classes, most girls headed for the bathroom, had to check how we looked, and hurry to class.

When I went to CV, it was just changing classes between rooms in the old building,(both floors) and the new library. Our home rooms were also in the old part. So, how did it work when it was just grades 7-12? Did you have to change classes in the new part also? I could ask Boon as she is stopping by today, but we probably won't even get on the subject.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Blondie, I did graduate from CV. When President Kennedy was killed, we all cried with Miss Murphy. Now there was a teacher! I also agree with you about Miss Gazette. Mr. Anderson-all you had to do was ask him how his farm was, and he would forget any lesson for the day. Why can't I remember the typing teacher? We had a great time down there with the yearbook and newsletters. Laughing now at remembering the old typewriters and the dictation machine. It may have been obsolete before we graduated.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 234

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, valleygirl, do you live a couple blocks over from me? As, I know you know who I am.
Do you remember Ms. McCall? Her and Mary Murphy were good friends, wonder where she is. Can't miss hearing about Mary Murphy!!

You don't remember Mr. Trevillion the typing teacher. Do you still have your yearbook? If not I can scan a picture of him to refresh your memory. I remember the old electric typewriter, that is what I used all the time. I remember the first time I tried using that, what a riot!! Wasn't on the dictation machine much. I did lots of typing for Mr. T.

In a previous post here, you mentioned Mr. & Mrs. Nash. Now I have no idea who they are? Got out a yearbook from 55 and they weren't in there. Nor do I know Ms Temple?
Time to head outside, too nice to be in here.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valley girl you must have graduated after me cause there was no way we could wear our jeans to class also i remember Mr.& Mrs. Nash Mrs. Nash was my English teacher and Bobby Jackson had a habit of not doing his home work and he copied mine handed in to Mrs.Nash she wrote me a note on my paper - next time don't let Bob copy your paper word for word she passed me but not Bob she was a great teacher she really got us involved in English Lit.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Blondie, I don't live a few blocks from you. Sorry. I don't have any yearbooks. and I certainly do remember Ms. McCall. Thank you for the name, Mr. Trevillion. I remember him well, just couldn't put the name to the face. I believe Mr.& Mrs. Nash came in early 60's. I think I had her for English about that time. Ms. Temple should be in the 53, 54, 55? yearbook. And no, Kathy, I was before you. Never could we wear jeans! But I believe we paved the way for dress pants. Sorry about being so secretive. Don't mean to, just prefer anonymity.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

o.k. valleygirl your secret is safe I wonn't try to guess any more thats your privledge

torggy

Post Number: 864

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture to help:
Mr. Trevillion
Mr. Trevillion

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 236

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awe darn, still don't know who you are Valleygirl.
Say, I got out the yearbooks that I have.
1955:
PRINCIPAL: Mr. Harold Mostrom, taught Civics 9;English9
Mrs. Harriet Vesel: English; Phy.Ed; Library
Mr. Joseph Parker: Business Law;Typing;History
Mr. Patrick King: Coach: Social Science;Health;Am History
Mr. Herbert Johnson: Science;Math;Driver Training
Grade School Faculty
Mrs. Eleanor Ellingsen: Grade 4
Mrs. Ann Kohn: Grades 5 & 6
Mrs. Alvina Wilumnen: Grades 6 & 7
Miss Rose Sampson: Grades 7 & 8
Special Teachers Mrs. Lorraine Klobuchar: Speech correctionist
Mrs. Evelyn Withrow: Music and Band

PRINCIPAL: Alvin Ness
Faculty:
Harold Anderson: Art, History, Arithmetic, Social Reading
David Beadle: Shop, Civics,Football
Virginia Bergman: Music, English, Library
Vernon Eilola: Phy Ed, Biology, Science,Basketball English, Health
Barbara Gazette: Home Ec., Art
Helen Graham: Science, English
Herbert Johnson: Chemistry, Algebra, Geometry, Physics, 8th Math
William Lindquist: Civics, Industrial Arts
Rocci Lucarelli: Art, Math, General Business, Geography, Health, History
Elizabeth Mc Call: Phy Ed, Social Studies, Health
Thomas Trevillion: Typing, Bookkeeping, Shorthand

In this yearbook, it was dedicated to Ms. Mc Call"Because of her noteworthy accomplishments, both among her friends and in her profession, we gratefully dedicate this year book to Miss Elizabeth Mc Call.
PRINCIPAL: David Hill
Faculty:
Harold Anderson: Social Studies, Science, Biology, Math, Baseball
David Beadle: Industrial Arts, Math, Music, Basketball, Football
Virginia Bergman: English, Library
Vernon Eilola: Algebra, General Science, Phy Ed.,Health, Track, Basketball
Barbara Gazett: Home Economics, Art
Herbert Johnson:Chemistry,Physics, Math, Geometry
William Lindquist: English
Elizabeth Mc Call: Health, Phy.Ed.,History, Geography
Robert Scott: History, English, Music, Social Studies, Science
Thomas Trevillion: Typing, Shorthand, Bookkeeping, Secretarial Practice

Football stats for this year, 6 games, CV won 4 of them, a couple of the scores 39-0, 26-0!!!

PRINCIPAL: David Hill
Faculty:
Harold Anderson: Social Studies, Biology, Baseball
Joseph Antonovich: Art, Industrial Arts, Football
Virginia Bergman: Library, English
Vernon Eilola: Health, Mathematics, Basketball,Track
Barbara Gazette: Home Economics, Music
Eugene Granger: Chemistry, Math, Basketball
William Lindquist: English, Dramatics
Mary Murphy: Physical Ed
Thomas Trevillion: Commerical Subjects, Math
Robert Scott: Social Studies, Science

I don't see any Mr. & Mrs. Nash in any of my yearbooks, so they were after 62, and Ms. Temple had to be prior to 55 then. Maybe DAB, will remember Temple.

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first day at CV was in Sept. of 1951 I was starting my freshman year, and had spent the summer in the French River area and the two previous summers. I had become friends with a lot of guys and gals which helped. Prior I went to school in Wisconsin and classes in high school averaged about 90 students. I found out from Bruce Johnson I would be riding his dad Walter's bus. My day started out waiting for the bus at the road that leads up to Spruce Court. What appeared to be a bus in the distance shocked me when it stopped to load us kids. I guess the thing was about a 1939 or 40 model, I don't remember the make. Bruce and I sat behind his dad all four years I rode the bus, however the last year we rode a new bus. We transffered to Reino Tuominen's at Bloomingdale.Art Berg and I had become good friends that summer so he had saved me a seat. I did notice there were some good looking gals and my thought was things are looking better.
Upon arriving at CV I thought this sure looks small. I was already informed that classes were small and no gym, and played and practiced basketball elsewhere.Before the school bell rung Art led me across the football field to the the fence line where a group of guys were standing. At that point Art introduced me to the Aho boys Bob and Bill. I could feel the bonding of us four start at that moment.There were others there also but don't remember who. I then thought to myself this is going to work out ok.
The bell rang and all the high school students gathered in one room. We had all new teachers except Herb Johnson, new ones were Harold Mostrom,{Harriet Vesel,my favorite] Joe Parker, Pat King.
Football practice started the next day, and we were off to a late start. I did notice one thing the football field was in good shape.
In Fed. of our senior year the new addition and gym was finished. Our last basketball game of the season and the first in the new gym. This was also our home coming game, and I had the honor to crown Nancy Johnson Queen.
It was a good school with good students and I was glad not to have been a Number in a larger school.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey DAB, good story. Walter's bus was a 1937 International, 32 passenger. Wood trim on the body.

auburnkel
Rookie Poster
Username: auburnkel

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first day at CV was in Sep of 65. Little did I know that day would still be with me so many years later. I was new to CV going to 6th grade at Knife River Elementary I didn't know anyone at CV so when Mrs. Schuman, I believe was her name, she asked 7-1 or 7-2. I figure 7-1 sounded good, so I picked that class. I then proceded to the gym where the floor was very strange, all warped and all and sat next to a bunch of 7th grade girls to find out my homeroom assignment. Sitting there one of the girls asked me who I thought was cute, so I peer across the gym and saw this shy boy and said that one, who was also in 7-1. 11 years later we married and we are still married to this day.

torggy

Post Number: 873

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Auburnkel and Dab, those are some good stories.

I had to ride Walters bus in the mid sixty's. Hated it, he ran a strict bus.

ernies acres

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 249

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This post has nothing to do with this thread, I just got tired of trying to get the Homesteaders thread up.
Today we stopped at Walgreen's, and we bought some CD's. They had 3 to a tin box, #1 hits of the 50's and 60's, and #1 of the 70's and 80's.
Well, we listened to the 50's and 60's, the first CD starts in 1955 to 59, this one really brought back memories. I remember laying in bed at home listening to these song's on the radio.
The second CD is all hits from 1960-64, again remember all these, and final one is 1965-69. Hate to say it, remember every song on this 3 CD collection...the cost was even better $9.99!!!
I have great speaker system on my computer, so I use that to listen to music, via Media Player, and I put it to full screen and watch the fantastic visual display of graphics and colors that dance on the screen to the beat of the music.

Auburnkel, liked your story, great you guys are still married.

torggy

Post Number: 885

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry you are having trouble with the Homesteaders thread. I have dialup and it works fine for me. I wonder what the problem is. Does anyone else have this same problem?

shorecrest

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no I have mediacom and it's fine

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember my first day at CVHS. It was 1961 - that was actually the first year that CV became 7 - 12th. I had gone to John A. Johnson Elementary in TH through 6th grade. Someone from there told me to look for a short girl named Roberta Highland. I was told how nice she was. So I looked for her - and we met that first day.

I was a little nervous about going to a new school not knowing anyone so I stayed close to my sister, Linda. Everything worked out well, tho, and the kids were very friendly and welcoming. I developed very close relationships with them that have stayed with me.

Mr. Hill was our principal that year. Mr. Nash came later. Yes, you wouldn't have known him, Blondie. By the time I was old enough to take typing, Tom Gordon was my teacher.

Mrs. VerSteeg was English, Mary Murphy - PHy Ed, Karen Hill was English my Senior year (What a story she makes!) Mrs. House was English in the lower grades, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Granger, Mr. Nelson for history and economics, Barbara Gazette for homeec in the lower grades, Robert Scott for English in the lower grades (remember him?), Bill Lindquist for homeroom, Marlene Schumann's mom, Marguerite, was secretary. Mr. Eiola (sp), Bill Tranah was there for awhile subbing. Oh, wow - this is a good topic....

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't Mr. Scott have the weird eyebrows?

boon
Regular Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes - and he laughed a lot. I liked him.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 251

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mr. scott

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking for First day stories.

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it was not the first day, but another day at CV, story. It was down in the shop class and I was in 7th grade, Coach had stepped out and the "Older boys" voluntered to take care of us I would guess, no matter we were there alone with the big kids. I am not even really sure how it happened but all of the sudden I was swooped up by "Hippo" (Yes, I remember Hippo as the instigator) and put upside down in a steel barrel. I want to say another guy called "Owl" put the lid on, I don't know\remember who all was in that group of boy's but I remember one saying "Hey, here heat it up" then I heard the cutting torch light up, I was sure I was about to be toasted in a barrel. Everyone laughing all around, except me... I was screaming like a little girl in a dress, HELP HHEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPP. I think Coach came back and saved me cuze I don't see any long term scarring on me. Madd Maxx, were you part of that??? I still to this day can't walk by a barrel with a torch next to it...

torggy

Post Number: 975

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty, your on-going trauma aside, that is one of the funniest stories I have heard in a long time.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Scotty I wasn't involved with your attack in the shop class. Where was Pelander?

I am sure there are many others who have stories about Hippo or any other upper classmen who keep the underclassmen on their toes.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 471

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boys, I will say this, your antics in school were a far cry from girls.
I don't recall girls doing anything like the boys did. Scotty it is a wonder your not seeing a shrink on a regular basis!!
MM, I know Pelander, worked for years with his wife.

I am sure many of you guys have boys, what are/ or did they do in school?!!!! Might turn your hair grey! So if any of your parents turned permatue grey, you know why!!!!!!!!!!!!

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, thanks Maxx, Pealander, I remember now.....
I remember in that shop seeing a board come flying backwards out of the planer (the not for railraoad tie planner) so fast it clipped JD in the leg or knee, dropped faster than a rock, never have I seen anyone drop so fast. Never seen coach move so fast (although we all knew he could) and pick him up and see that things were OK.
Blondie, I have three boys 18, 21, and 23 and yes a few grey hairs, I saw you (I think) mentioned about old school buildings being put to use, My wife and I own one. We operate a small manufacturing company out of it, I'll tell you stories later why they are a tough sell. It was sad for me to see of Roy La Bounty passing, I worked for them back in "80", He was one of the best...
We have company today (inlaws) so I cant be here at the shop, gotta get back home. It's been -5 to -15 every morning this week, thought I'd just throw that in there 2" of snow also.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 475

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty only two inches of snow, try 16 in our back yard!! I could barely get the back door open even. Just walking to get the morning paper was a trial. I know what my husband will be doing today!!! Me, pulling snow off the edge of the roof!

I will be looking forward to hearing your stories. Neat that you put an old school building to use.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a Duluth New Tribune clip from Sept 8 1962. I don't know if this was the first game of the 62-63 season. This the class of 63 final season. I have a few paper stories from this month.

Yes, this is going to work out OK.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 530

Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neat, boy the paper sure made a mess of names though. I believe T. Almstand and M. Almstad would be Tommy and Mike Olmstead and Hollenday should be Hollinday.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 536

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I decided to put this post in this thread, shorter!
Maybe someone knows answer to this. My aunt was wondering what happened to Mickey Winter, he graduated with her. I know we talked of Winters in previous threads. She said he married Phyllis Shatto. Also she was wondering what happened to Patricia Alseth.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Patsy Alseth passed away of cancer quite a few years ago. She was married to a Marnich and they lived on the Lismore Road. Her sister Virginia also passed away of cancer and Lupis 10 years ago or so. She lived out here and I saw a lot of her. They were related to me.

I can't help you out with Mickey Winter. I remember him, remember Judy. She was the class of 61. DAB, if you're reading this can you help us out with Mickey Winter?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 537

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks LWM, I will pass this info onto my aunt in Florida. I had sent her the obit on Ray Alseth and she started wondering about the people I had mentioned.
Maybe Cindy knows more about Mickey Winter?
Yes, DAB if you know anything post it.

Got sad news today, our son's father in law passed away at the age of 69. Late last week he had two strokes, and he fought to live, that is for sure, but it was his time to go.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 538

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, forgot, Patsy and Virginia, they were sisters right? Did they have a brother named Don?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Pat and Ginny were sisters. They have an older sister Audrey who is married to Lloyd Ratkovich.I see them once or so a year. Cindy would know the whereabouts of Mickey Winter. She mentioned it in a posting quite a while ago. I wouldn't remember where to begin to look.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mickey Winter, I just got off the phone with him.
He is living in west Duluth, and his name is in the phone book. Read your post and took out a old phone book and there his name was and I called him. Mick was a good football player and a tough kid but very pleasant.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 539

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks DAB, say did he say if he was still married?

LWM, I never knew there was an older sister Audrey. Ratkovich, would this be Kathy's dad then?

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Mick is married. His first wife died and he is remarried. Pat Alseth was the daughter of Ralph, and he had a son who passed away some years back there is a place at the short end of the bar at old shore crest in his honor. I think Don was Milton.s son they lived on the corner of the old north shore and Alseth road. There were four brothers I think Harold,Ralph,Milton,and can't think of the fourth. Harold was the Forest Ranger, he would hire me in the spring & fall as
either a tower man or smoke chaser. spent many hrs in the tower and on the ground waiting to chase down a fire. The railroad would be slow at that time so I would work a third shift switch
engine in the yard.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Lloyd is Kathy's brother. Their dad was Nick who was a foreman with St. Louis County Highway Dept. Worked out of the toolhouses on the McQuade Road.

DAB, the other Alseth brother was Albert. He was married to Ingrid Mattson.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM Was Albert the one that lived on the shore, and his wife was a teriffic fisherwoman? I don't
think they had any childern.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, the one that lived above Hjalmer Mattson was Clarence. His wife was Julia, an excellent fisherwomen and outstanding bird carver. They didn't have any children. He worked on the section crew with Milton.

We've had a lot of rain out here in No. CA. I had three inches in my rain gauge since Thursday morning. The Sacramento River, which is right outside my window is way up. Lots of trees, stumps, and other assorted material floating down.

Had lunch with one of my 22 1960 classmates, Dennis Olmstead. He is in a suberb of Sacramento and is a CPA and has his own business.

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MICKEY WINTER LIVES IN DULUTH, HE IS NOW MARRIED TO PHYLLIS (SHATTO). HE'S RETIRED , HE AND PHYLLIS TRAVEL ALOT. I'M SURE HIS NUMBER IS IN THE PHONE BOOK.MARILYN

torggy

Post Number: 1031

Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was that any relation to William Shatto?

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PAT AND VIRGINIA'S BROTHER WAS HOWARD. I REMEMBER PAT TOLD ME ONCE THAT 4 ALSETH BROTHERS MARRIED 4 SISTERS, MAKING IT FAMILY ALL AROUND.

Frank Ornie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went to Clover Valley from 1955 to 1960, then joined the Navy. Anyone around from those years?
I live in Oregon now.Would really like to hear from some one from school.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 861

Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank, actually the percentage on this forum are CV people and several of us were around in those years you mentioned.
Who were some of the kids in your class? If you hadn't left in 1960, what year would you have graduated in?

torggy

Post Number: 1228

Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank, glad ya found us. LWM, our local memory bank might have some information for ya. He graduated round that time. Captian Nylen might have some info too. Anyone else out there know the people from those years?

I live in Washington state myself and have two daughters in Oregon. What area do you live in?

Got this information from a new-to-the-valley person today:
I moved to Clover valley about 5 years ago...I'm 32, so obviously never went to the old clover valley school, but I do have some news you might be interested in. Before moving to clover valley - I lived in lakeside and recognize one of my neighbors from an old photo posted here. Mr. Trevillion - I lived across the street from him for 4 years. He lives on Luverne street in lakeside is still getting around ok.

Thanks!! We like to hear about old teachers.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 864

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually LWM does remember you Frank. I sent him an e-mail and he remembered you. Like Torrgy said he is our local memory bank, as he sure does remember people and facts. I said to him I did and didn't remember you. the name sounded familiar, but I am still trying to put a face (school) with your name.

Torggy that is interesting about Mr. Trevillion. I often wondered what happened to him.

torggy

Post Number: 1527

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This kinda fits in as a first day at CV. It is from the October 1969 Landmark.
new teachers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration