Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Summer on the North Shore < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 889

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since some are having trouble with the Homesteaders thread lets try another.

Summer on the shore was always great. Any one remember Ollies Candy Stand? Just below Clifford Sundstroms house. Ollie used to sit up in the lodge and watch for customers. We used to sneek up from the lake keeping the candy stand between us and him. You could open the door and get a candy bar or two.

general store

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 261

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, it would take about 4 + minutes to pull up the Homesteaders towards the end.
I never heard of Ollies Candy Stand, that is something new to me.

We were over visiting friends, and the guys were talking about things they used to do when they were younger.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure Torggy but it could be all the photos and other things inserted into messages. I have DSL and the homsteaders page was slow from the get go. I know dial up is so painfully slow. I am stuck with that at work. I do more internet work from home since I have the faster service there.

Blonde I am sure your son has been very busy.

Welcome Drummer, another new poster who's family has had a dealing up north.

I know a few people who read these pages and have yet posted. I know they will get the courage some day to share a story or two.

I like the name of the new thread Torggy. Coming up with names like for threads or screen names and or user names can be a challege.

Boon, seeing that bummer sticker right after I talked about that golf ball is funny. It like when you buy a car and once you start to drive the car, around every bend of the road, there is a car just like yours.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 262

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought DSL would be faster than dial up, so that is good to know. That is what I thought Maxx, the pictures that are inserted slowed down the thread, but then you had trouble from the beginning.

Boy, isn't that truth about buying a car and everywhere you turn, you see one just like the one you bought. Worse yet, is trying to get in the wrong one, because it looks exactly like the one you bought....that has happened to us a few times, worse yet, seeing someone trying to get into ours, and all of a sudden it dawns on them, wrong one!!

What a beautiful day today, we had supper up to Dixie Bar and Grill tonight. Pretty much the same, except now if you want fries with your order, it is extra, where as before, fries came with it. Oh well, sure this is going to be happening everywhere with the outragous price of gas.

drummer
Rookie Poster
Username: drummer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, the farm was on the juction of mcquade and pioneer. drummer

allstory
Rookie Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DRUMMER, I'VE LIVED UP BY CORNER OF MCQUADE AND PIONEER, WONDERING WHAT FARM YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT? ONLY ONE PLACE ON CORNER, NOT A FARM, MARILYN

allstory
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OH NO!!! I JUST SAW I LEFT OUT THE R ON YOUR NAME SO SORRY THE WAY IT CAME OUT MARILYN
I just fixed it - Admin

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 263

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marilyn, didn't your family live over by Swartz, which was off the McQuade Road?

allstory
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES ON THE PIONEER JCT RD, ON SOUTH END ON CORNER OF THE SMITH RIVER , ACROSS FROM ELMER SWARTZ, THEN LATER AFTER DICK AND I WERE MARRIED WE BUILT A HOUSE ON THE JCT ROAD ABOVE THE PIONEER. IN 92 WE SOLD THAT AND MOVED BACK DOWN THE OTHER END AGAIN ON THE SMITH RIVER SIDE OF THE CORNER, PAUL KANNEN LIVED THERE, WE ARE NOW DIRECTLY ACROSS THE ROAD FROM ELMER'S PLACE, HIS GRANDSON DAVID LIVES THERE NOW. MARILYN

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 264

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now who is David's parents?
You certainly didn't move far from where you grew up. Like I moved real far, dah!!!
Gosh, I think one day we will have to tour around the area, it has been years since I have been up in that area.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAVID'S PARENTS ARE EVERETT SWARTZ AND HELEN OBERG, DIVORECED FOR SOME YEARS, EVERETT IS STILL ON JCT RD. YES SURE CLOSE TO HOME, DID LIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE FOR A YEAR JUST AFTER WE WERE MARRIED.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 265

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't you have a niece living up in Grand Marais?
Met her a couple times at our son's house and at different functions.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES MY SISTER LINDA'S DAUGHTER LORRINDA IS UP THERE SHE'S MARRIED TO A DEPUTY SHERIFF NAMED LEAF LUNDIN. THEY LIVE OUT OF TOWN A LITTLE WAYS FROM GRAND MARAIS, LEAF'S BEEN ON TV ALOT WITH THE FIRE.

(Message edited by ALLSTORY on May 19, 2007)

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie; Temple was not there in the early 50's had to be later, don't remember the name.
Blondie did CV ever have organized sports for the girls and did they compete against other county schools? If so when did it srart and what sports? I know there was a congressional act that public schools had to provide equal sports time for the ladies as there choice of sport. We have had some gal's here in OH playing football, I think just kicking.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 266

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not seen Leif on TV yet. Must be watching the wrong channel.

Dab, when I went to school, we didn't have organized sports for girls at all. We used to go to the other schools, like Homecroft, Tovoila Meadowlands, Alborn, etc to play against them, but it wasn't on the competive basis as it is today. Just more or less a fun day....fun to be out of classes anyway. We just played, mainly I remember basketball, oh and volleyball, but never softball, that I can remember. No playoffs involved.

Maybe some of the younger posters on here, can answer if they had organized sports at CV for girls, when they went. I never heard of it though.

I know some girls play hockey, and they are darn good.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I GRADUATED IN 67 AND THERE WERE NO SPORTS FOR GIRLS THAT PLAYED AGAINST ANOTHER SCHOOL, THAT I CAN REMEMBER. WE PLAYED ONE CLASS AGAINST ANOTHER IN GYMN.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It all depended who our gymn teacher was Mary Murphy made us work out in gymn Karen Hill didn't make us do anything she was quite a teacher remember Marilyn and Boon and who ever else is reading this from 67!

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KATHY I REMEMBER MARY MURPHY HAD US PLAY FIELD HOCKEY IN FOOTBALL FIELD,I NEVER DID LIKE SPORTS IN SCHOOL AND NEVER LIKED GYMN CLASS, GOES TO SHOW 40 YEARS LATER THAT I'M NOT A FOOTBALL, BASEBALL, HOCKEY ETC FAN. WALKING IS MY IDEA OF A SPORT, THOUGHT GOLF WOULD BE INTERESTING BUT I ALSO HATE HOT WEATHER, SO I'D HAVE TO GOLF AT 4AM BEFORE WORK IN THE DARK. MARILYN

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KATHY I FINALLY FINISHED THE NEW LIST OF THE ADDRESS OF OUR CLASS, DID GET RALPH'S SO SENT OFF THE ANNOUNCE TO HIM IT, GOT EMAIL FROM BRUCE C ALSO, EMAIL ME AT ALLSTORY@AOL.COM AND I'LL FORWARD YOU A COPY. MARILYN

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, try 55-56 for Temple.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 267

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valleygirl, I already did, no Temple in 55.

Gee, I think the one teacher that taught the longest at CV, had to be Mr. Herbert Johnson. He is in the "Cloverette"...that is what it was called back in 47-48 yearbook.

I saw snow flurries when I went out for the paper this morning, and saw several cars with snow on top. Too cold for me, and LWM, your heading back this way soon!!!!!

Marilyn, I am with you, I never liked sports in school either, what little we did have. Ms McCall had us on the trampoline a lot, and I loved that, plus we had dance class. Interpretive dance, and I really loved that. This was part of our gym class. Did any of you do that?

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They had girls track in 1974. The girls would travel with the baseball team. Check the photos on the main page. The bus ride. We close before our girls had chance to shine for the Old Blue and Gold. I have always felt that our class and several other younger classes had some talented althetes. It was difficult going to a new school and going out for sports. This was a problem for some of us.

torggy

Post Number: 892

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I talked to my parents yesterday morning they also said it had just snowed.

Maybe I was a little early with the "summer on the north shore" thread.

Sports trips were always an adventure. I remember one mid-winter basketball trip to Orr. It was really cold out. On the way home after the game it was one of those nights that if you fell asleep with your head against the window your hair froze to the glass. Anyway, some of the guys got a little carried away in the back and broke out the big last curved window on the passanger side of the bus. The front of the window was pushed out like a big wind scoop and we had to pack it full of coats to keep the wind from comming in. One of the coldest rides home I can remember.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 268

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes torggy, maybe it should be "summer on the north shore ?" or "summer/winter on the north shore!

Maybe back then or even now, the school buses are warmer, but believe you me, when I rode the buses they were only warm up near the heater up front. The windows would always be frosted up and your feet would freeze.

I can only imagine how cold a ride that was with the busted window.

Inland they are predicting temps in the 70's to 80's, naturally colder by the lake.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marilyn and kathy are right. There were no organized sports for girls up to 1967 anyway. We had trampoline, medicine ball, volleyball, field hockey - but all among ourselves. Oh, there was cheerleading, of course, but no competition among schools.

Oh, yes, I remember Mary Murphy. I liked her very much. Karen Hill is a story all by herself.

kathleen_wilde
Regular Poster

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those were the days when I was a real Wild Child remember me you Joan and Roberta running for Homecoming queen Boon? I use to smoke then and Karen Hill caught me smoking she just turned around and walked of the girls bathroom didn't say a thing Years later I saw her at St. Lukes when I worked there by that time she had been fired from teaching all she said is I could have had you exspelled and walked away from me I sure was an idiot in those days!

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Karen Hill doing well? I mean, I knew she was fired but what happened to her after I never knew.

Actually, Kathy, you were never wild at all. That's not how I saw you, anyway. A lot of kids smoked in those days. That doesn't make you wild. You were always a very nice person - full of kindness and sensible mischieviousness.

I do indeed remember our homecoming - very special.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know Boon she said that to me at the elevator at st.lukes and i never saw her againI,m sending you a pm

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloondie is your son home from the fires yet with all this rain it should be down right soggy up there he diserves a long awaited rest just like the rest of them

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 269

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Kathy, finally our son is able to be at home, and hopefully relax a little. I talked to my DIL on Monday, and at that time, they hadn't received much rain, but according to an article in the Star Tribune, they got a good soaking the other day. They showed a picture of two women cutting a ribbon, opening up the last 7 miles of the trail. In the background, I can just make out our son. Let's hope they keep getting rain, as otherwise, this could be an ongoing situtaion all summer up there.

(Message edited by Blondie on May 23, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 271

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was watching our local news at 5 and 6, and low and behold they showed briefly our beloved school burning.
The segment was due to the fact that a 4 year old boy was playing with a lighter and started the house on fire. So, they showed different structures that burnt, because of someone starting them on fire.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I imagine eveyone is out of town celebrating Memorial Day the weather in Minnesota is cold today yesterday it was nice planted flowers spent most of the day outside I hope the nicer weather comes soon I'm tired of everyother day being 40 degrees

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 272

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure is windy out. I am with you Kathy, tired of this weather. I too was planting some flowers yesterday in containers, just a few, as leary yet. Mowed our lawn and the yard next door, then died on the patio!!!! Age sure does catch up to a person doing things.
It seems we get one day a week of nice weather and that is it!!

Lots of people around, restaurants are very busy and gas stations same.

Think LWM is at the campground now, as remember him saying something about being here Memorial weekend.

Drummer, just wondering if your back yet from the Gunflint? My son recalls the conversation he had with you. Did you drive farther up the trail to see the destruction?

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was up along the shore Friday and Sat morning. Friday was beautiful, Lets not talk about Saturday Morning. 1st time I ever went out on Stoney Point RD. Outstanding views tword Duluth. Parked @ French river Lutheran and took the trail to the Dam then walked up to the culvert under the new highway (another place we used to go swimming) there is a spot between the RR bridge and the dam that has a rope swing that hangs out over the river, but I don't remeber that spot being deep enough to jump into. The Rope swing isn't very far off the water. but looks like it would be fun anyway. Walked up the shore from the French River to Hjamlers. Sure isn't like I remeber. Looks Like it a drinking spot now. Beer cans all over. The new Lighthouse restaraunt has a ways to go, the building looks pretty well done outside but still have driveway and parking lot to do, the front had a bunch of pails that look like 5 gallon paint pails so I suspect they are still working inside.
Drove up to Clover Valley High, saw that there was a semi parked out front with a frant bed budozer trailer behind it - but no equipement in sight. Noticed that there is a road into the woods old the end of the property that the old section of school was on - almost looks like the start of a housing development. The road goaes of into the woods but was so wet I didn't want to drive down it. The drove up to Two Harbors and came back down the senic road. To a drive down my old stomping grounds Greenwood Road and actually recognized a few names Zinks, Olsons, Fellbaums, McNaughton's, Becks. Etc . Tried to upload pictures of the dam and river but I don't know how to shrink the file small enough to allow on this site. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll see if Torgy can post them for me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 273

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find that interesting about the old school. Housing developments seem to be popping up all over.
Yes, lets not talk about Saturdays weather, not much to my liking that is for sure.
When was the last time you were up in the area mj?
Post any pictures you like, sure Torggy can help you on that.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was on Greenwood rd a couple years ago and go up the shore probably once a year, But never really stop to look around like I did this time- Went up specifically to check out the Dam and the river, Greenwood road. I was past the school last year and don't remeber the road along the one side - at the edge of the woods but it really didn't look like it was just done. I kind of came up looking for somewhere to stay along the lake, Wanted to check out Dodges log Lodges to see if they were as nice as the internet site shows, looks ok but kinda close to the highway. Trying to plan something for fall when the leaves change. Came up while the wife was overseas on business as she is not from the Clover valley area, but loves the shoreline but Geenwood Rd and swimming at the Dam means nothing to her. this time was just for me to remeber the "good old days"

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 274

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have you checked out that inn that julie myrdal owns, can't recall the name of it, Inn on Gitchi Gummi(spelling) or something like that.

Oh yes memories, they sure do flow back don't they. Especially with this forum.

torggy

Post Number: 895

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love that walk up the French River to the New Hiway. At the right time you can walk through the tunnel to the other side. There are some great waterfalls and pools there.

There are some nice cabins between Knife River and Two Harbors. They are way off the road and right on the beach. My sister and her husband stayed there a couple years ago. Can't remember the name though. Maybe someone else does.

You can send me the pictures and I can post them, or learn how to do it yourself. Do not worry about making mistakes, we have all done it to learn. You can always use the delete or edit function avialable in the upper right had of every post to remove your mistakes.

I look forward to seeing any pictures you have.

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend!

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey M Johnson did you graduate in '73?

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob's Cabins Breezy pointcabins Barthells cabins other wise there are quite afew motels around Two Harbors but you have to get booked quick because a lot of people book year to year

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 275

Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Went by the campground this morning, and it was pretty packed. Turned out to be a beautiful day. Been sitting on the patio since after two. When the sun goes under, it is a little cool because of the wind, but feels good when the sun is out.

All depends of what your looking for mj, but like kathy said, book early. I remember when our son got confirmed, which was in Sept., his godparents didn't believe they had to book, well, they had a hard time finding a motel...now that was back many years ago. what they ended up with, they were not happy with.

A really nice place to stay, not in MN though is over in Bayfield, called Winfield Inn. They have a motel that overlooks the lake, with just beautiful flower gardens.(also condo's) We were over there this past Monday, and spent the night, gardens were beautiful with spring flowers. All rooms overlook the lake, private decks or they have walk out patio's. Naturally cheaper during the week. Love it there too.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy,
Graduated class of 75 - from central high school, Only was lucky enough to go to Clover Valley for 7th, 8th and part 0f 9th

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,
Love the Bayfield area, For years we rented a cabin on Madeline (sp) Island for our aniversary, !st week in october. leaves were always beautiful. The company that rented them changed hands and now they are too expensive for me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 276

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MJ, I know just what you mean about places changing hands, and becoming more expensive, it is happening everywhere we go, places we liked and stayed at...up goes the price.
Speaking of change, seeing your familiar with Bayfield, you know Pier Plaza, that restaurant right on the corner. It was a popular place, always busy, not bad food and about the cheapest you could find in Bayfield. We always ate there, supper/breakfast. Walked into it this time, and here in the middle is a huge bar, they have about a dozen tables, it is like a pub, dark wood. The menu has changed also, and more expensive. They no longer serve breakfast. That is our last time in there, not for us. We did find a restaurant over on the side street called Eggs something, it looks very much like Betty's Pie's, same decor.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Water levels back to normal at the Dam

torggy

Post Number: 896

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya figured it out! Thats great!

I really like the picture. There were times it seemed I spent the whole summer at that damn.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Downriver from the RR bridge

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 277

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice picture of the river. A view I have never seen, nor have I seen the damn.

torggy

Post Number: 897

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice view! We used to climb up under the RR bridge as a train went over. The whole thing shook and the air filled with dirt. Scary as hell. Why we did it I do not have a clue.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just a couple of pictures left
a set of waterfalls just up from the dam, there is a small rope swing that hangs out above the pool at the bottom of the waterfall to the left side of the picture (very hard to see in picture).
the second is a picture across the top of the dam and the fish ladder, the other side is the
platform we us to jump off, its all fenced off now. I wonder if kids still swim their when it gets warm out.

(Message edited by m_johnson on May 28, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 898

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Those are really great pictures MJ! Yes, some still swim there but not like it used to be. Maybe there are fewer kids in the neighborhood or there are other things to do in this day and age.

The holiday weekend is over and it is time to go back to work, ish. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Blondie, the damn is real easy to get to. Just park in the back of the church parking lot and follow the path. There is even a path you can follow up the river to the RR bridge. It is a nice walk in the woods.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 278

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could see the rope hanging there.

Torggy I just may do that some day this summer. Seems kids these days aren't as interested in being outside, more interested in sitting inside playing video games. Growing up, I lived outside, and our son was the same, he only came in to eat and sleep and then reluctantely at times.

Today we are going to go touring. want to go by the old school, tour over to the McQuade Road where I lived for several years. Had planned to do it all weekend, but never made it, but I said today forsure.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 279

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back from our tour, first stop CV. I looked through the broken door windows, and inside looks very sad, almost wished I hadn't looked. I did walk around where the old part was and noted what MJ was talking about. Where the football field was, it is gravel now, a road goes back farther, and all kinds of large gravel piles everywhere. The owner must have some plans for back there. When I came back out, I noted the No Trespassing sign on the tree. Oh yes, back by the Gym, just a ways from the boys locker, is a little group of tree's, as I walked by, I saw a red pump there. I walked down the road MJ was talking about, to where we were parked, and could still see sidewalk there. I stood by the van, looked back at the school, and my thought, please tear it down, better to do that, than see it in this state. (oh, there was a desk yet sitting by the door into the gym)

We drove down the east end of Heberg road first, Winters house is well taken care of. On that road I counted 15 mailboxes and another place without a box. At the end I noted Jackson on one of the boxes.

When I went to school, there was only Winters, and I think one other place down that part of the road, so what a change.

Actually where ever we drove, homes where homes never were before. Around the corner on the Hegberg is a beautiful home, we drove in. Also along the Hegberg some very interesting places to say the least.

We drove east on the Pioneer road, and saw the road where Strombergs lived on and Mattson's house was behind that, Lyle and Ella Jackson have a home where Mattson's house was I guess, and their son lives back there also.

Marilyn we drove around the Smith River Road, and you have a beautiful home. Swartz basically looks the same, except color has changed.

Then we drove up the McQuade, and I noted where the goat farm was,(that has changed all grown up) and found my old swimming hole up farther, funny thing, when I was a kid, that was a really steep hill down to that swimming hole, but now you can see the swimming area so well, before you couldn't even see it from the road. I gather, they cut the road down some or something.

We drove down River Road as it is called off the McQuade, and it still has 3 homes down there,I lived in two of those houses as a kid) but I didn't recognize anything, it has grown up so much. Wow has it changed down there, no flower garden or vegetable gardens anymore, just tall tree's. I did spot an outhouse out in the woods yet. I should have stopped in the one place as the garage was open and vehicle sitting out, but we just turned around.

You know what, I think I like my memories better!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 280

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh forgot, we also drove down by lighthouse restaurant, and they were working there yet. Parking lot seems to be taking shape. I noted on the side towards the highway, they seem to be adding something on there. They also cut down some tree's, that might give a little better view of the restaurant heading towards TH, but still can't see it real well.

Finally we drove the old north shore road, between Berquist and Homestead, couldn't believe all the homes there also, and some beautiful ones at that. Goodness, like I say, homes where there were no homes before, it is unreal.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those pictures truly are awesome mjohnson. Thanks. The small pond directly above the dam was called the Sandy pond when I grew up. That was reserved for the very little ones as it was very shallow. Just above it was the Crazy pond. The middle of it was actually above the head. We swam there until we were old enough to go to the top side of the dam where it was shallower and then it was off the platform and climb up on the bars on the platform and off the top. Nice memories. Thanks

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I'm still in CA. Leaving here June 10th.

Torggy, Ole's Fish Stand and Cabins is where I worked in the middle 50s. It was owned by LeRoy Olson from Minneapolis. The place was originally owned by Gust Dahlberg. It is now owned by John and Marilyn Kessler.

Valley Girl, I thought the Crazy Pond was the one right above the dam? The dam sure looks small now. It looked bigger when we were kids.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 282

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In talking to my uncle the other day, he informed me that CV is now owned by Brucklemeyers and also that beautiful home on the curve of the Hegberg is also a Brucklemeyer place.

Here I thought you were in MN LWM.

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, LWM,this one I know. I took turns sitting at the Sandy Pond with little brother (not littlest) until I could go up to the Crazy Pond and finally to the Dam. I think we all started there. Mom used to walk us over from the first I could remember when we lived on Greenwood. She was a great swimmer and taught us all. I think as more and more kids came, she just had to trust us to go without her and not drown. Came close a couple of times, though. Finally, when we moved, we would take the railroad tracks over. We weren't allowed to walk the highway for some time. Would try to time it to catch a "Speeder" and hop a ride. Those guys were great!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl, sorry, the Crazy Pond was right above the dam, Sandy Pond was just above the old concrete one lane bridge. Check with brother G.

bud
Regular Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at the pictures of the French river really brings back the memories. Thanks. I remember the pond names as the Dam, then moving up to the kids or baby pool (because it was shallow) then the crazy pond, up under the old bridge to the girls pond, (where my sisters swam)then under the RR bridge to the corner pond, then up to the tunnel. Through the tunnel and a climb up the falls to the Arcadia pool (or upper pool) etc. etc.
But the best memories are spending all summer from the day school got out until school started, from the time we got up until we had to go home for dinner and even after dinner and at night, playing, sliding downs the rocks in the river and swimming. Would I let my kids be gone all day at the river without checking in as we did....I don't think so, but then.....it was a different time.
LWM, When do you think you will be settled in at Knife?

valleygirl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44

Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you bud. The kids, or babies, pool WAS named the Sandy Pond and it was directly above the Dam. Then, came the Crazy Pond. If I have to LWM, I will confront brother G. with this information. But please don't make me do it,I'd really rather not. LOL, I also remember the girls pond now. Had forgotten that, as I just migrated to the Dam for the summers. When they put the expressway in, the pond below was quite nice, but usually full of dead deer or glass. I still loved the last day of school when a few of us got off the bus at the Dam and went swimming. BTW, there was still some ice on the falls at the Crazy Pond. No, it wasn't named after us.\

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, I'll be at Knife River Campground June 14th. Pulling into Two Harbors the 13th to pick up my travel trailer.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 283

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I thought your travel trailer was down at the campground, as I know it had to be out of storage sometime ago.
Could you send me a PM message with your e-mail address, I have a couple questions for you.

(Message edited by Blondie on June 04, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 284

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Wizard of Oz" is on Cable TV. This is one of the movies I remember watching on our first TV growing up. Naturally it was BW, but is color now. I guess being on this forum, memories like that are coming back. Goodness how many times over the years I have seen this movie, and never thought about that.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, how do I send a private message? I'm not registered, I use guest-don't want to get bombarded with spam.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, forgot to mention my trailer is sitting at my brother's house in Two Harbors thanks to Kyle Weideman at Amoco.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 285

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, don't worry about it, no biggy anyway.

(Message edited by Blondie on June 04, 2007)

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just came back from my walk around the loop up the hill to 26 down 26 passed pamida back into town again I figure it must be 3 miles thanks to this brace I,ve got I can go anywhere now I,m so glad the weather is finally starting to cooperate

torggy

Post Number: 900

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, three miles with a brace! Way to go. Hope the weather holds.

Hey, LWM and Blondie, I can pass along contact info. If that helps.

Looks like the name of this thread kinda fits LWM. I hope ya have a great "Summer in the North Shore", and a safe trip.

Have great memories of watching the Wizard of Oz when we lived on the farm up in Waldo. Remember watching it during a blizzard in January. The wind shaking the house added whole new meaning to the "lions and tigers and bears, oh my" part.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, go ahead and pass my email address along to Blondie-Thanks.

Talked with Captain Nylen on Saturday. He's on the tug up in Skagway but will be going down to Juneau for two weeks. He is standing by for the tug that will leave to escort that cruise liner that ran on the rocks a couple of weeks ago to the lower 48.

Hope to see some of you while I'm on the North Shore.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 286

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I happened across a little photo album I have had since 1957.
In this album I found graduation pictures of Bill Sundstrom, Betty Kehoe and Loretta Nordlund, hers dated 1959, can't remember her.

Then there were these grad cards that you put in graduation announcements.
James Alseth, Joann Marple(?) Loretta Nordlund, Jane Christansen,Norma Dahlberg, Peggy Driscoll, Sandra Eiken,Diane Elickson,(?) Barbara Johnson, Carol Julian, Barbara Mindestrom, Leslie Robarge, Lora Ross, Ingrid Sonnichsen, Judith Winter and Barbara Haugen, and then the letter on the first name of this card I don't know what it is, but the last name is also Haugen.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that would probably be Ivan Haugen. He graduated with the class of 59. I was up at Ivan's house a couple of summers ago. He was having an auction of all their belongings. They had a big motorhome and were going to full time. I ran into him again last summer. Interesting side light, he drove the Greyhound bus that took a group of us to Minneapolis for our military preinduction physicals. He last owned a liquor store in West Duluth. I believe Barbara is down south, on the Alabama coast somewhere. There was a younger brother too. They moved down from Grand Marais area.

torggy

Post Number: 901

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie brought this article by Rich Sill in the January 2006 Township news to my attention:

I first met Dave Erickson in the parking lot of North Shore School fifteen or more years ago now. He was leaning out the window of his pickup truck as I drove by. Exactly how or why I ended striking up a conversation with him is lost to time and memory. It was just a brief encounter but one that would be repeated many times over during the ensuing course of years: he in his pickup, leaning out the window, talking. It is the way I will always remember him. A number of us gathered a few weeks ago to celebrate Daveís life, to laugh, tell stories and reminisce a little. To those who only knew Dave from a distance he may have seemed pretty rough around the edges, possibly even a little unpleasant. In truth, even to his friends, he at times could be a bit vexing. For certain, he lived a simple and frugal life and the sparseness of it may be the reason many people kept their distance. Conventional he was not. In many ways he was a master of invention and ingenuity but since his interests strongly leaned toward the functional and practical rather than the aesthetic he was often viewed as a little odd. Take his pickup for example. It was a vehicle held together as much by hope and prayer, bailing wire and rope, as it was by any original bolts or frame. The truck apparently had once been in an accident on the McQuade. The story goes that Dave was parked alongside the road reading when someone side swiped him. A good portion of the trucks body was damaged but the working parts still functioned. It still started and stopped and that was the important thing. It may not have looked like much but it still ran, a testament to the gods of whim and fancy much more so than to any laws of physics orprinciples of mechanical combustion. His house had certainly seen its better days. It had no running water, no indoor plumbing, hadnít seen a coat of fresh paint in decades. But the miscellaneous pots and barrels and tubs that he would scavenge and scatter around his yard were planted each year in pansies and daisies. There was after all, underneath his soiled andworn clothes, a softness, a gentleness, a mischievousness that simply couldnít be hidden. You could see it in the way he loved Emmett his dog, and in the way he would live trap the squirrels that invaded his house, and release them safely back into the woods. But most people didnít know that. They only saw the worn man in the worn pickup truck who drove endlessly around our community collecting ďjunkĒ. They did not see the man who studied architecture at the University of Minnesota, the man who had been invited to work with Frank Lloyd Wright, the man who had written more than half a dozen childrenís books. Sometimes we are the losers for not digging deep enough, for not knowing our neighbors well enough, for maybe not wanting to know. To some a life of such promise may have seemed wasted. Dave never married, he never had any children, he never became a famous architect. Instead he decided to collect the things society was throwing away. He saw value and worth in the forgotten, the neglected, the discarded, the abandoned. His house became filled with the items and they spilled over into his yard stretchingfurther and further out until they covered his fields. To anyone passing it appeared to be nothing more than one big junkyard but if you looked close enough, in and amongst all those items, scattered with the scrap metal and tractor wheels were barrels of pansies and washtubs of daisies.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 287

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, what about Diane Elickson, that name is so familiar, but I just can't place her and where she lived.
How about Nordlund?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saw Diane Elickson Erway at the coming home party last summer. They lived on Greenwood Road.

Loretta Nordlund was a very pretty girl. Lived somewhere in Alden Township. Class of 59.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have mentioned that Diane is cousin to the Becks and Nynas'. Mrs. Beck and Mrs. Nynas were Duke's(Diane's father) sisters. Diane also has a sister Gloria who was same age as my late brother Jack, in fact, their birthdays were the same day, January 28, 1950.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 288

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks LWM, forgot that Beck's and Nynas were related. Gloria I do not know at all though.

I thought that Nordlund lived somewhere up in the CV area.

Still say your such a wealth of info on who is who, it is unreal!!

Forgot to thank Torggy.

Lwm, I thought of you the other day. I was sitting here at my puter, and saw two young fellows walking down the ave here, with golf bags slung over their shoulders heading to the course. Only thing, they were pushing strollers!! I couldn't believe it, know what, they weren't gone that long, as saw them coming back a little later.

(Message edited by Blondie on June 07, 2007)

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, pushing their golf clubs in a baby stroller? I can understand why they came back a short while later! Any visible bumps or bruises?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 290

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, couldn't see the babies in the stroller, but sure they were in there...I suppose they had to watch the little ones, and wanted to shoot some balls, and this was the only way. I keep hoping to see them go by again like that.

Drove by your brothers house yesterday, our niece just lives down on 13th, and nephew and sis in law live up a block. Saw your home away from home sitting there just waiting for you.

Didn't get the high winds here yesterday, that they got in other area's, thank goodness, supposed to start warming up. I HOPE!! Like I said, I put in my order for nice weather for you!!! Actually for me too as love being outside.

torggy

Post Number: 902

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to LMW for bringing my attention to this:

Robert L. Aho
Lake County News Chronicle
Published Thursday, June 07, 2007
Robert L. Aho, Surprise, Ariz., formerly of Two Harbors, died peacefully in his home, Wednesday, May 30, with his family by his side after a courageous battle with cancer.

Robert was born Oct. 13, 1936, in Duluth, to Leo and Ailie Aho.

In 1954 Bob graduated from Clover Valley High School and enlisted in the Marine Corps. After his military service, Bob returned to Duluth to attend and play football at the University of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD), where he received a bachelorís degree in education.

Bob married Alice Klug in 1961. Following his graduation from UMD they moved to Mt. Carroll and Sandwich, Ill., where Bob taught school, and coached football and basketball. After earning his Masterís degree from Northern Illinois University, they then moved to the Chicago suburbs where Bob taught and coached at Proviso East, Proviso West and Triton Junior College.

In 1974 Bob, Alice and their two daughters moved back to Minnesota, where Bob worked for the DM&IR Railroad as an engineer and in several management positions until his retirement in 1997.

Upon his retirement, Bob and Alice moved to and built a home in Arizona to enjoy warmer weather and Bobís love of golf. Bob was an avid sports fan and athlete. Throughout his life he enjoyed golf, baseball, basketball, football, skiing, biking, fishing, boating and camping with family and friends.

Because Bob believed so strongly in being involved in every community he lived, he was an active member of Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Two Harbors and Spirit of Grace Lutheran Church in Surprise, Ariz., serving on several boards and committees; member of the menís golf leagues in Two Harbors and Sun City Grande, Ariz., former City of Two Harbors recreation director, former member of the Lake County recreation board, former board member of the Two Harbors Federal Credit Union, Two Harbors ski trail volunteer, starting line coordinator of Grandmaís Marathon for 27 years and participant in the MS 150 bike ride for 10 years.

During his retirement bob enjoyed volunteering as a hole captain at the Phoenix Open, driving and moving furniture for the Lutheran Thrift Shop, and working on the stage crew doing lighting and sound for the Sun City Grand Drama Club. He was a devoted and loving husband, father, friend and family man who will be greatly remembered by all who knew him.

Bob is survived by his loving wife of 45 years, Alice; daughters Allison, Minneapolis, and Carrie, Two Harbors; brothers William (Dorothy) Aho and Rodney (Linda) Aho, both of Duluth; brothers-in-law John Paul (Cindy) Klug, Mark (Amy Church) and Matthew Klug, all of Two Harbors; sister-in-law Martha (Tom) Hanson, Two Harbors; and many nieces, nephews, cousins and godchildren.

Services will be Saturday, June 30, at 1 p.m. at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Two Harbors.

In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to The American Cancer Society, Hospice of the Valley, Spirit of Grace Lutheran Church and Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 291

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We hadn't had a chance to look at the Chronicle as just came today. I didn't see anything of his death yet in the Duluth paper.
It failed too mention that he managed the TH campground also, and due to his health had to give it up. I believe Allison graduated with my son.

Oh LWM, I saw the one golfer heading home a few minutes ago, pushing his baby stroller and golf bags on his back. I was outside.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Summer on the shore it is! finally the nice weather is here I suppose everyone is to busy to get on the puter I know I don't find the time till late nite myself I hope everyone Has a nice summer where ever you may be I know I am !

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just stopping by checking on things. Like most people I have been busy enjoying the outdoors. Some golfing and camping so far. With the weather so good, our board is some what quiet.

torggy

Post Number: 903

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The summer sure gets busy, dosen't it? Hope everyone enjoyed the longest day of the year yesterday.

Found this article about the Safe Harbor:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=44560&section=homepage

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 293

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk about cold out there, strong winds off the lake.
Took a little tour to the UP of Michigan and checked out their Grand Marais. It doesn't hold a candle to our Grand Marias, not much there at all.
Did have a nice motel though sitting on the hill overlooking the harbor. Down below was a church that rang its bells in forms of songs, beautiful.
All I have done since we got home is work outside. Said to my husband, well I am ready to go on another trip, as all I do when I am home is work!!!!
Sure wish that wind would die down, it would be a beautiful day.
My husband heard that the new restaurant isn't opening until after July 4th, anyone else know anything about that?

caroleb74
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi from one of the 'lurkers.' I sure enjoy this site - thanks torggy. The restaurant is now open! It's so cute and good food too!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 294

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

caroleb74, not often I see an "e" on the end of Carol!
Glad you decided to post, it would be nice if more of the "lurkers" would post, it will keep this site going. Yes, torggy is doing a wonderful job, but he can't do it alone, he needs all our help.
So glad to hear the restaurant is open, we drove by yesterday, via freeway, but didn't even look down that way.
Do you know what hours they are open?
Thanks for the info!

caroleb74
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I remember when you babysat us girls - we had great fun!
The Lighthouse opens at 11am and I think the kitchen closes at 9 or so. check it out!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 295

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that was many years ago. Last week I came across a picture of Kathy, Susie and you sitting by your Cmas tree, it says 1959 on the back. I could copy it and send it to you, but would need your e-mail address. You can't PM me, unless your a member, but you could send it to Torggy and he could send it to me.
I know your parents and mine were good friends, my mother and your mother went to school together, now all of them are gone.

I remember your house so well, just like it was yesterday. You had a big golden lab if I remember right. I always remember your mom had chocolate cake sitting on the counter when I babysat.

Do you still live in the area? How about your sisters?
Memories sure are flowing back for me right now babysitting you kids.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just dropping in to see whats new, have been on vaca, now need REST
did something different this year. Our daughter graduated from college this year and wanted to go out west. So we took the Amtrack train from St Paul through N. Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Washington to Portland Oregon. Then rented a car and drove down the coast highway to Monterey California. Spent a couple Days in San Francisco then flew home. NOW A WEEK OFF WOULD BE GREAT. JUST WANT SLEEP.
Blondie,
If you like camping, Grand Marais Michigan has one of the best municipal campgrounds I have ever stayed in. Its right on Lake Superior and besause there isn't anything in town to do it is very quiet. Great place to camp and explore the sand dunes and waterfalls. My wife and I found it quite by accident about ten years ago when we were going around Lake Superior checking out all the lighthouses. We have gone back 4 times and Every time we have been there the weather was beautiful and we got to watch thunderstorms roll across the other side of the lake at night - Gorgeous light show. We usually went labor day weekend because on labor day they close half of the Mackinac bridge between upper and lower Michigan and let people walk from upper Michigan to the park on the other side then they have shuttle busses to get you back. It's quite a drive from Grand Marais to the bridge but it's so quite at the campground even on labor day it makes it worth it.
Caroleb74 - nice to have another person contributing- Glad to hear the restaurant is open I will be up once in July & once in August, and will have to try it.

(Message edited by m_johnson on June 23, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 296

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MJ, your trip sounded great. Did you enjoy taking the Amtrack? My husband often talks of that, but we have never gotten beyond talking. Last time we were in California was 1985, and toured all over San Fransico. It reminded me so much of Duluth at that time, even the fog rolling in, hot one minute cool the next. Due to extreme dry conditions we couldn't take the highway up the coast there, so that was disappointing. We did get to Portland via an inland route though.

Actually we drove all through that campground in Grand Marais, Mi, and we really liked it. We used to camp all the time, but gave it up, but believe you me, if we were still campers we would love that campground. Such good views of the lake there. When we drove to Grand Marais, from Marquette, we took the scenic route, have you ever been on that? First when we started out, it was black top, then after x miles it turned into gravel, washboard gravel, the road was pretty wide, then we hit more sand road than anything, miles of this, then black top towards the end. They plow this road, just like we plow in the winter, and there were banks of sand instead of snow, unreal, lots of soft spots, and it wasn't very wide either. Did see lots of vehicles headed towards Marquette on this, and just enough room to get by. But, it was beautiful in places, driving under a canopy of trees. In the fall it would be really beautiful, but I said never will I go back on that road, not until the whole thing is blacktop. Not for me, but my husband really liked it.
We made the circle tour back in 72, but for some reason we didn't drive up into Grand Marais at that time.
A few years back we went to Mackinaw City and stayed right on Lake Huron(motel), just beautiful, especially at night when the bridge was all lit up. It was just before Labor Day, and we left the day before they closed the bridge. It is beautiful in the fall in the UP and lower Michigan.

My husband talked to some people that tried to get into the restaurant the other day, and couldn't even find parking, so they gave up.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie
I loved the Amtrack ride. I bought a portable dvd player and my daughter had her ipod and cell phone with her. in a 36 hour train ride I watched 1 movie on my dvd player - my daughter never took her Ipod out of her purse and quit answering her phone once we hit the mountains(used the excuse that the signal was poor, pretty hard to know when it was shut off. mine worked fine). The train route goes through the bottom of Glacier National park in montanta and the views from the obsevation car were vantastic.
I think I know which road in michigan your talking about. The road goes through Pictures Rocks National Park and its so soft they advise no large motorhomes but I've seem them on it (scares me a little) part of it goes out to Au Sable Point Lighthouse

(Message edited by m_johnson on June 23, 2007)

torggy

Post Number: 904

Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! All these people on vacation and all I have to talk about is work. I am jealous.

MJ love your picture.

My parents have taken the Amtrak between Minnesota and Washington state several time. They liked it alot except that the timing on one of the best areas, the Cascade mountians in Washington, is poor. You go through at night both directions. Still We should take the ride. Everyone that has loves it.

Glad you guys had great vacations. Gonna have to explore the "other" Grand Marais one day. I did cross the Macinaw bridge on a early Feburary day about 10 years ago. Awesome Bridge. Did you know that there are people that are scared to drive across the big Mac? So they offer a service to drive your car across for you. I guess 15 to 20 people a day take them up on it.

Good to hear the new Resturant is open. And if the parking lot is full that's a good thing. Hope to hear how the place is.

Just got back from two days on the road and got lots to do. Later....

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry Torggy there are other of us still working long weeks. I do find the time to spank Mr. Tilest around. I will head out this morning to just that. I will take some time off during the 4th. Camping and golf will be on the ticket.

Last night watch the Harley Parade go through Duluth. Many nice bikes. The roar of the bikes could be heard all day around Duluth. The Lighthouse is now open? Good, now maybe I will have to take a drive to go give them a try.

So does LWM have internet while he is staying in Knife River? I bet he has been out chasing the golf ball.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 07:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Maxx, we played Lester on Thursday. Got coupons from the Rest Area in Proctor and from the one in Lester Park. Playing Nemadji this week. Going to try Superior National up in Lutsen later on.

Those of you in the North Shore area, try the new candy store in Knife River. It's the old Canelake Candy Co. from Virginia. It's his daughters. The one lives on the Pioneer Junction and McQuade. It's in the old Mel's fish house building. Definately not low cal but worth violating your body for!

Haven't tried the new Lighthouse yet but will do so soon. I hear good things from the people that have tried it.

Blondie, have'nt seen Howard yet. Just missed him a few days ago. Will try to stop by when my schedule settles down.

Haven't seen your folks yet, Torggy.Talked with Captain Nylen yesterday, back in Skagway.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 297

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes LWM has internet connections, as he has e-mailed me twice since returning, and the last time he was going golfing. Actually I thought he might be posting on here. Still waiting for him to drop by though, but sure he has been busy catching up with family and friends since returning.

I bet you could hear those "hogs" around duluth, heard some going along 7th here in town also, they sure do rumble.

Torggy, I never knew that they had someone who would drive your vehicle across the mighty Mac bridge, interesting. One time when we went there the bridge was totally fogged in, so they had a lead vehicle take several(like half a dozen) vehicles across. I kept thinking, sure hope this lead vehicle knows where he is going!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 299

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM and I posted at the same time, as I put mine in, his came in.
I see in the paper today that Alice Swartz and Bill Truscott are celebrating 50 years of marriage the end of June. Congratulations to them. They have their young wedding picture in the paper.
Also, Bob Aho's obit is finally in the Duluth paper.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 300

Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

posting again, just came from the grocery store, ran into Stanley Towers and Pat Shelhon, so had to talk to both of them.
Informed them of the CV forum, and I think they thought I was joking. Stan doesn't have a puter, but think Pat does, so hopefully he will check us out.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stopped in for a bite to eat at the Lighthouse. They did a very nice job with the decor. Like any local place there is someone that you would know dinning. Claire and Lynne running around doing their thing. I am sure they want to keep running since that wll mean that the Lighthouse. A few things on the menu with names to give a local flavor. Coming up with catchy names is always a difficult task. The black and white photos of Bluebird landing and fishing boats were neat to see. I didn't take the time to look at all of the photos in the entire place. Our food wss very good and the furnishings and treatments were very good. The table cloths are a nice touch. I like the platter style plate which breaks the normal round plates that most places would use. This i an excellent touch. Very nice details for the Lighthouse. I need to run and make my tee time. I need to go out and get another round in.

torggy

Post Number: 906

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This one has gotten to the magic 100 number. Time to close it.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to take part.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration