Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Summer continues < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 905

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a cute little ad:
sandy's

Glad to see you have internet access LWM. Hope the golfing goes well for both you and Max.

Thanks for the report on the LIghthouse Max. I look forward to eating there one of these days. The pictures of the local area sound great.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too stopped by the Lighthouse Restaurant yesterday. Had a chance to speak with Alvera and meet some of the family. Had a very nice lunch and if you go in there look at the pictures under the glass on the bar. I need to get some of my granddads for them as they were both commercial fishermen also. It was really nice to see Victor Sundstrom's picture (Cliff's dad).The menu is nice, everything made from scratch, including the turkey dinners and meatloaf. There are some pasta items that come from the Pierson family as part of the family, I believe, was from Italy.

Very humid here today, storms on the way.

Torggy, I talked with your mother this am. She was on her way as we were coming back.

Blondie, you two sure do travel!!! That's the way to enjoy retirement. I haven't seen Stanley Towers yet, Pat Shelhon I haven't seen since 1960!

Madd Maxx (CB), hit em straight!!!

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 301

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, Stan says he sees you at the coffee shop all the time.

We stopped in at the restaurant, just got back. Nice in there. As you come in, the wall is made to look like a boat. I noted there is a patio like area off the dining room, and also off the bar area. I overhead the waitress saying they are making changes to the menu already. I looked at the bar, all the things under the glass. Saw a picture of CV there.

I had French River Dip and if you like French Dip, I highly recommend it. This had fried onions and mushrooms in it and swiss cheese. Oh, their onion rings are huge and really good too. My husband had hot turkey sandwich and he said it was excellent.

Next time we stop there, we will try something different.

Whew its hot again, see I ordered this just for you LWM!! Only thing, sleeping is hard, had to dig out more fans!! We love to travel LWM, but don't go on real long trips anymore, more fun to take short trips, that way we can go more often.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister called and told me that Harold Cleveland passed away. He was involved at the Pres. Church. He lived on the Stanley Rd. He organized hayrides from the church to the fire tower by Ted Larson

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to let you know I'm still with you. Have been swamped at work, but I do get on the forum to read what is going on.

I think of you all often.

LWM - Glad you are having a wonderful time. Say hi to Dan.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

boy everyone is sure busy I've been going swimming every evening @ the new high school pool very popular place and it is free good place to take the grand kids also went to the movie in the park last saturday nite thats something else thats free to take the kids also movie is at the old football field prety good turn out at the movie good to see the old and the young out enjoying the same thing my girl friend and I are going to lunch at the new restuart as soon as we get the time she's not as lucky as soom of us she still has to work so I have to wait untill she can fit into her schedule!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 302

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so the pool is open again. I know there for awhile it was closed, as upkeep cost too much, they had to cut back somewhere and this was one place.
I ran into Janet and she mentioned about the two of you swimming.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 303

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an e-mail that Nancy Norman's oldest son died on Sunday.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Janet and I went to the lighthouse for lunch what great place good food very impressed had the french dip and onion rings like you suggested blondie the beef was out of this world just like home cooking

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 304

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad you liked the French Dip Kathy. Did you have just the plain French Dip or the French River one? Isn't it cute in there. Can't wait to go back and try something else.
Gee, where did the clouds come from....according to the weather forecast this morning, no clouds from here to Montana!!! Well, these sure look like clouds rolling in to me!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx, Nemadji has a players club membership available for $50. It entitles you to 18 holes with a cart for $25. Regular price is $39. Also entitles you to free golf on Wednesdays at the Retreat in Floodwood.

Told Dan hi from you Boon.

Visited with the Mandelin brothers this week. They are all retired. Karl, the oldest, is a retired Minnesota state trooper.

Those of you familier with the Corner Cupboard Gift Shop, it has sold. My understanding is it will become someone's home instead of a business establishment. Just rumor though. Haven't seen Kessler to confirm it.

Blondie, I noticed they were changing the name of the Citgo station to Christ last night when I drove by. I guess Christ Oil Co. owns it. For those of you who don't know it, Citgo is a Venezualan company owned by our buddie Hugo Chavez.

Sure have a lot of people waving at us on our morning walk, unfortunately, I don't know who most of them are. Probably CVers.

Kathleen, talked with your uncle Nick briefly. Said I would stop by when I see him sitting outside.

I spoke in previous postings about the old French River neighborhood and the commercial fishermen. I have another photo for the Lighthouse Restaurant. It is of my Granddad Adolph Sundstrom, his brothers Victor and John and John Gustafson, the Grandfather of Bruce, Ray, and Judy Johnson. They are all dressed in their Sunday best! If any of the family of Leander, Walter and Arvid Johnson are reading this site, it would be nice to have a picture of them as well. Walter and Arvid fished well after the rest. The day wasn't the same if you didn't see them out on the lake lifting their nets!

While visiting Finland, Clifford and George Sundstrom and I were treated to a couple of trips out into the Baltic Sea with our family to check their trap nets for Salmon. It was really interesting to see the way they fish over there. This would be the way that our grandparents fished over there. They also fish thru the ice in the winter.There are a number of our family members over there that still fish commercially.Finland is a beautiful country and very progressive. Great rail system.5 and a half hours northwest of Helsingfors to Karleby/Larsmo. I've been twice and will go again. I'm writing this because many of you have ancestors from that area and will write more in future postings.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 305

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, yes Citgo is becoming Krist now. I will have to look it up who owns them.

We stopped by today on our way home from Duluth after having lunch at the Lighthouse. Wow they were busy, looked like a group of people, elderly had met for lunch, actually most were leaving as we came. The bar part was full as far as I could see. Our hamburgers were a little pink, especially my husbands. I said next time we will ask them to be well done!
Anyway LWM, we noted one has to register to visit. I went up to the office, but no one around, didn't really go inside. As we drove by, I think I spotted your trailer and your truck was out there. Do you have a screenhouse attached to your trailer?
I wanted to introduce you to my husband.

Two summers ago some cousins from Finland came over to visit. The one is a teacher,Tettru, actually what we call Principal. She searched two years and found her American relatives. Just loved her and her sister. Tettru could speak English, but her sister couldn't. This is on my Grandma R's side, as she was born over in Finland. When cousin Tettru got back to Finland she put a website together of her visit to America.

(Message edited by Blondie on June 29, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 306

Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what Krist and Citgo are one in the same!!!
So, Chavez still is around

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM The player's club card is a good deal. I buy full pass for the course. I usually get out a couple times a week. My pass is unlimited.

Blonde you need to get a fake pizza delivery logo and just drive in to LWM's campsite. OK, I know each campground have their rules. The owners jut don't need Rowdy people to have camp fires to the weeeeee hours of the night. Maybe you should not have those coolers strapped to the trunk of your car.

Speaking of the campground, I will be heading out for a few days of camping myself.

Golf clubs-Check,
bug dope-check,
and cooler full-check.

I am guess I am ready.

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 45

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, not a fake pizza delivery logo. Get a fresh and smoked fish logo. Guaranteed, if he's not there, he'll be there within 5 minutes. ...Course, so will the rest of the family.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 307

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanksfor the idea's! I think the fish one would work the best!!! Then we could have a party!

Have fun camping Maxx. I miss camping, not the bugs though! We used to camp all the time. Started out with a tent, and graduated up to a big truck camper, that Trailblazer sure was big inside.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that was my rig. If I'm there my Chev Colorado Crew Cab will be parked in front of it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 308

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, bet your heat is running!! I can't believe these temps 49!!! That is what are gauge shows.

I had to turn our heat on this morning, July 2nd, to take the chill off the house. Heat on in July!!!!
Back in the 70's we had rather cold weather like this.
So much for our summer..... we had it, the few days we did have heat. It was 85 at this time last year.
This is down right depressing.
Wonder if it will warm up by the weekend for Heritage Days activities that are going on.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope it warms up we have people from Texas on the way and Fargo is coming they sure will be dissapointed if it is this cold I went to the Laura lane six plexes today and I commited to an apartment the first of August I have an end appartment which has to bathrooms its time for me to get a place on one level after my knee surgery in sept. I won't be able to climb stairs any more I'm very excited my kids that live with me are moving to Duluth the first of augustso it's time for a fresh start on my own I'm excitedgot a lot to get rid of though living in a house for so long but it will be worth it.The rent is 906 amonth but thats everything except electric and the way heat is theses days I'll be better off and they do the shoveling and mowing lawn and all of the up keep

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 309

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You and me Kathy about warming up!
Good for you getting up to Laura Lane. Janet had mentioned it to me, and I had heard they were $1,000 a month, but even better yet less. Can't go wrong having heat paid for, and no more upkeep outside.
Never know what holds in the future, we may just have to do something like that also, as bedrooms are upstairs. The older we get, the tougher the stairs become!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, you're right about the cold. I've had the heat running for the past two days. Yesterday was 22 degrees below the normal for this time of the year.

by the way, any of you Veterans out there, Nemadji has free golf for us tomorrow-all day!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 310

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAPPY 4TH TO EVERYONE!!

Question, does anyone remember Junita Garner?
She was in my class up until 1961, but did not graduate from CV. I know she transferred to Duluth.

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a great day along the lake. I jumped on my motorcycle and road up to Knife River. Great temperature for a ride. Left Mpls @ 8:30 and was eating fudge in the candy shop in Knife River by Noon.(thanks for the tip LWM) Now it will take three weeks to loose the calories from that piece of fudge. Stopped at the Lighthouse restaurant and had a hamburger. Was Very good and was cooked all the way through. For a Thursday they were very busy, hope it keeps up. Went down to Canal Park and drove around looking for somewhere to park, all the lots were full. Decided to pack it up and head home. Had a great time goofing off for the day.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 311

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MJ, sounds like you had a great day. Are you a "hog" rider?
Glad your burger was cooked through.
we have to make a run to Duluth today, going to try and remember to take my camera along and stop and take pictures of the lighthouse. Boon asked me for some pictures.

LWM you saw my patio, well for the heck of it yesterday we put a temp gauge on the table....in the shade, know what it said....91!!! I knew it got hot there, so bet it was over 100 in the sun.
It is no wonder the guy across the alley in the one upstairs apartment, comes out when it is colder out, looks at us, looks at his thermometer, looks at us, and goes back in. Sure he is thinking those crazy nuts!!

I awoke around quarter to 4, got up came downstairs and threw windows open to help cool the house off, went back to bed! It helped though, much cooler in here.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I remember Juanita Garner, she had a brother Jimmy. Lived up the Holmstead from Niilo on the opposite side, just down from Palin's. She was 3 or four years younger than me, as I recall.

Had the Herring and Whitefish at the Lighthouse last evening. Awesome!!!!

For those of you that are Coney Island fans, Larry, who was at the Coney on first street for many years now has his own Cafe up on the Miller Trunk, on the side of Gordy's. Full menu place and the Coney's are the same. I had a late breakfast so I only ordered four!

Golf today!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 312

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a bad accident by Homestead Rd. A Spee Dee van and a pickup truck both in the ditch just above the Lighthouse. Bottle water all over the freeway. Glad I stopped on our way too Duluth to take pictures for Boon!!

I often wonder LWM, where Junita is, she advanced a couple grades into our grade. Yes, you are right where she lived.

Oh, we stopped at Coney today, boy that poor gal was running her buns off. I had my taste buds all set for a Coney, but saw a Gyro on the menu and that was it. It was okay!

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes blondie, I am a "hog" rider - Have a Harley Davidson Road King. Sold all me other toys (snowmobiles and 4 wheelers that I never used) and bought something I do use. My wife has her own - Today(saturday) we are going to ride to
Woodruff wisconsin.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 313

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Already getting hot out there. Going to be a hot one for the people in the parade I am afraid.
Walked to get the morning papers, and people had their chairs lined along the parade route early.

MJ, do you do the Sturgis thing?
Our son and wife and several friends are going out this year, his first year. Our niece used to have her own bike, until she got hurt pretty bad, now just a rider behind.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 314

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The parade was today, and I was not going to go....same old thing, but darn it, I was drawn to it. Didn't take my chair, just stood in the shade in some people's yard under a big old willow tree. Watched the whole darn thing!!!

FYIF, it was only 100 on the patio today, in the shade!!!! NOT COMPLAINING, HEAVEN FORBID.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,
haven't done Sturgis, at least not yet. We talk about doing the rally in Daytona Beach instead, at least you get out of Minnesota for a week in the winter.
Had a great ride today through the Wisconsin countryside -

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haven't written in awhile been very busy my daughter and her family went back to Fargo todaywe have been so busy took the pizza train on friday it goes all the way to Palmers that was fun my grandchildren had never been on a train before saturday went to the parade the kids love that all the candy and all me mary and marilyn sat on the porch at Baross and watch so we were in the shade it was hot then we had birthday cake for my granddaughter that turned four I made a turkey on the grill they are always so moist cooked like that then we went to movie in the park and sunday we went to Duluth to museum we had a full weekend and topped it off with fargo fireworks up in the country with the Texas clan I am so tired I think I'm going to take a nap!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Kathleen, had a nice visit with your uncle Nick yesterday afternoon. Got all caught up on Knife River!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's great LWM haven't been to the home in awhile I've been so busy so haven't seen either of my uncles saw my cousin sqeeky and his wife the other day had a quick chat with them they both had new knees put in they said it wasn't bad and was well worth it. I'm looking for ward to not having any pain went swimming tonite wish I could spend the next couple month in the water no pain then but I suppose I'd look like a prune

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Power is back on in French River. Been out since Tuesday at 1pm. Bad wind storm. Got caught out on the golf course!

torggy

Post Number: 909

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! Power out that long? Must have been quite a storm. Read about it in the online paper but did not know just what areas were affected.

Did it cut your golf game short? Or did you "play through"?

Very hot here north of Seattle. To hot for a North Shore boy. Hope it cools down soon.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 315

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for those of you who have not seen the new Lighthouse Restaurant, here it is. Wish I could have gone inside and taken pictures also, but they weren't open yet, plus only had a couple pix left in my old camera.
lighthouse restaurant

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 316

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, still places in Duluth without power according to TV this AM.
The winds were terrific. I got a barrel full of branches off our tree's out front, some alive, some dead.
Torggy, I will send you some cool air. How come your not getting the cold front we have again from Canada!!!!! Saturday it was close to 90, now the last couple days we are only in the 60's...too cool for me.
Hope it warms up by next week!

(Message edited by Blondie on July 12, 2007)

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was watching the construction while back in May and it is amazing to see the finished product with all the mounds of dirt gone. Very nice. Thank you, Blondie.

We had some mild rain the other night and humidity which is very rare for here but really refreshing. Hot during the day but at least it's not in the 90's and 100's anymore. Everything is flowering - so beautiful.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I see myself waving out of the lighthouse tower window.

LWM caught in the wind? I don't think anyone would have a big enough club to hit into that breeze. A true golfer would stay on the course and "Grip it & Rip it!" Sometimes I have a hard time playing in he calm. I play way too many rounds during the wind.

A few days off for camping and golfing only to come back to piles of things to do at work. I check page to make sure everyone is staying out of trouble. Who all went to the big rumage sale at Two Harbors?

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister and her two daughters went to the lighthouse they loved it my nieces went to school with the girls my niece from Texas came up for her class reunion some of you may know my nieces wanda and Bobbi Jo cardinal? They have two brothers Mike and Kip cardinal? Well any way they thought it was a great place.But they never ventured into the bar to see all of the pictures and agates maybe next time.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for posting the photo. My dad was impressed with it. He hasn't been over there to look at it.

Maxx, we finished the round but it was an adventure. There is a port-a-potty near the shack on 8 and 12. It was blown over and mother nature was calling so we tipped er back up. IT was dry inside and usable!We also got rained on. I sometimes think we golfers are missing a link!!!!Pardon the pun!

Boon, it's interesting in that we always seem to get a rainshower around the fourth on the coast. Most people would say so what! It is unusual in that we don't see rain from around May until October or so.

Those of you on the North Shore, the candy shop in Knife River has Ice Cream bars, they make them right there. Awesome!!!

Boon, you remember Walfred and Evelyn's daughter Delores? She had a very serious stroke. Was in the hospital for gall bladder surgery when it happened.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM - You're right. When we DO get rain like this it is very short-lived and so refreshing. We are back to dry days and the drought again.

I never met Dolores. It's interesting that she stayed in the area. Did she go to CV? I'm very sorry to hear about her stroke. I hope she fairs well and comes through this able to get back to enjoying life again.

I have friends out here who are avid golfers and they would play in the snow if they could see the holes.....

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The restaurant looks beautiful, I hope to stop in next time up north, is it getting good reviews?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 317

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper, yes everyone loves the restaurant. At least I have not heard any bad reviews. The last time we were there, some elderly people were coming out, the guy was raving about it, turned to us, and said "darn good food in there, you won't be sorry". We said, yes we know, this was our second time!

Max, my husband thought it would be nice if they could have had a light that went around in that tower window at night.
Wonder if they will get a website set up in the future with more photo's like inside ones, that would be nice.

Boon, you will never believe this, but there are people that do play golf in the winter around here. One year several of us gals from work, went to a gals cabin north of town to a winter BBQ. They had a golf course set up on the lake, and guess this was an annual thing, playing golf. Naturally the lake has to be frozen over. The ones that played had a blast.
LWM, I really got a chuckle about the porta potty. I have noted the one up by the soccer field has been turned over for about a week now, not wind, vandals did that. Just think if you were inside when it went over!!!

(Message edited by Blondie on July 13, 2007)

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad thunder boomers last nite knocked out my internet I was laying in bed watching the tube when one hit right out side the front door knocked me about out of bed.must say we haven't had one that bad in awhile. Did you hear it Blondie? how about you LWM ? I bet your camper was ashakin! well got to go,cleaning out my basement for the big move.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 318

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I did hear that, and saw the flash of lightning, it was darn close, too close for comfort... actually was on the computer. I hurried and shut down mighty fast.

Then about 3:30 there was a loud boom...I flew out of bed, out the balcony door I went, and yelled at our neighbor. I knew it wasn't thunder. He is constantly doing the illegal fireworks. Tell tale sign, smoke coming from the out front, he isn't fooling anyone. I think that is a little late to be doing that kind of stuff. Maybe a call to the cops is in order.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of rain in Knife River-a few loud thunderboomers.

Blondie, just let your neighbor know there are support groups available for people like him.

Maxx, we're going to play Floodwood on Wednesday. I'll give you a report.Going fishing this week in the big lake.Got a 17 pounder last summer so need to beat that!

torggy

Post Number: 910

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for the great picture of the Lighthouse Resturant. Looks like a neat place. Can't wait to try it nest time home. I wonder if it well spur more growth in the Palmer area.

It can so much fun to watch the storms move across the lake. We sat outside last summer till the early morning matching the light show. Can be scary when they get close though.

Good luck with the fishing trip LWM. Hope the sudden rain didn't make the camp ground to muddy.

Blondie, wait till your neighbor has come in late from partying then get up really early in the morning and mow the lawn

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 319

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, love your idea's. LWM, hubby got a chuckle out of yours.

Torggy, I have been thinking about doing just that. He works night shift, comes home around 7, so I am a nice neighbor and don't mow until afternoon. Well, he isn't so considerate, mowed at 7:30 one morning after he got off work. So, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

It isn't only us that he has p----d off, people in the next block have little kids.

Oh, our friend went to the Lighthouse restaurant recently and he had steak, which he said was on the cold side.

Yesterday in the grocery store at the check out counter, this older fellow was talking to the check out gal, remarking about this good restaruant, and she was raving about it also, saying prices are fair, good homemade food. I figured it was the restaurant, so I asked. Yes, it was.

LWM, my cousin lives just outside of Floodwood.

Not very warm out there, only 66 and cloudy. Yesterday prefect, just beautiful.

(Message edited by Blondie on July 15, 2007)

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey LWM the Retreat is in pretty good shape. The greens are very fast. So whatch your putts. The rough is dry and hard.

The drive up to the Retreat is not like the ride in the old school bus to go play the Bears. The road was not as wide. Bounce of the bus. Winter and you froze on the bus. The trip really depended on who was driving the bus. Some drove slower than others.

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM How's the weather up in the north country? I read that you talked to Nick Lee. If you see him again say hello to him for me. WE worked up at seven beavers one fall reserve or erie where installing a second track. I remember he was driving a blue olds. He was a very likable man.
What type of a camper do you have? The campground must have sewer and water?
Who will you be fishing with on the big lake?
Dale is coaching these past two weeks. He and the head coach have the Licking county allstars.
They will be playing the Muskingum Allstars this coming Friday. Seniors only. The high school team is already in conditioning. Last year they moved up to a tougher league,all bigger schools.
Take Care. GO BADGERS-CO-PACK-GO-BUCKEYES

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

checked in pretty slow out there everyone must be busy I know I am I cann't believe all the junk a person accumelates in twenty years. I'm keep the garbage man busy. check in later

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, all is well here. By the way, Jack Rose had his annual Beef feed and I was told Gus and Bob Lake were up. I didn't see them, however.

Campground in Knife River has full hookups for my little travel trailer. Third year I've stayed there.

George and I fished for four hours and had one on, must have been pretty good size, it broke the line! We were outside the steamboat line, had a footer go inside of us. Lake was like glass.

Haven't been up by the school yet. Had smoked Lake Trout with Jerry last week-he does a good job smoking them.

Maxx, the Retreat was a challenge, to say the least. It's a nice golf course. First nine was tough, as you know you can't see some of the greens from the tee box and it's an adventure guessing where they are. Second nine was much better. #5 with the water was an adventure!!! Just got some coupons for Enger so will play that twice before the end of the month.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 320

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got back from Ely this morning,there from Monday-today. We stay at a resort on White Iron, have been doing this for many years now, always get the same big cabin, except this year! Don't know what happened, but they ended up in a small cabin, so we had to stay in a motel, which was okay also. Spent the whole day at the cabin. It was pretty hot up there, but lots of tree's around cabins and nice breeze.

They are still up there.

We sure can tell the decline in tourists up there, which is usually bustling with lots of tourists, hard to get out on the main drag if not by stoplights......not this year. Guess the gas prices are making some stay home.

Didn't do any fishing, they went out tubing a lot, we just relaxed by the cabin enjoying the view and watching people. Had a fire a couple a nights, but a t-storm came through last evening and cut our campfire a little short.

Was rather chilly when we left this morning, and
for a change as we got closer to the big lake, the temp started to climb, and we sure could feel the humidity here more so than up there.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

up early this morning pack pack pack! pretty quiet people are swimming at Burlington bay now water is still kind of cold but with the temps they say at 90 dgrees for next few days I have a feeling a lot of people will be jumping in.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 321

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if we will see any of those hot temps here anymore by the lake.
It isn't even 65 out there today. It is chilly, had to close down most of the windows. According to the internet, it is only 75 up at the airport, so no heat wave up there either.
That wind off the lake is keeping our temps way down.
Guess it is alright for today, have a wedding to go to, nothing worse than sitting somewhere, where it is hot.
Kathy, you sure will note the difference in temps where your moving and from where you live now!!!

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, do you stay at Silver Rapids Lodge? I lived there when I went to school my first year at Vermilion.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 322

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper no we don't, not anymore. We did though for many years, staying in the motel, and cabins, but they aren't animal friendly, so we moved down the road, as our son has a dog, love it there. Silver Rapids has seen many different owners since we stayed there. We drove by there to check it out. Not many in the campground though.

So you went to Vermilion also. So, where did you stay, cabin or motel? My grandson is on his second year at Vermilion, and is going to stay at the resort we stay at, this school year.

Say LWM, who is Eric Mindestrom?

It was rather chilly when we came out of the church this afternoon. So glad the reception was held out in the country, at least it was warmer.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Eric is my nephew. Lives in T.H. His dad was my brother who passed away a year ago.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 323

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, he was in my husbands great nephews wedding yesterday.
I really am sick and tired of this cool weather, we certainly haven't had much warmth this year.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was there 80-82 but only lived at the lodge my first year, we stayed in one of the little cabins closest to the dock by the river. I believe the Gruba family owned it when we lived there, he was kinda ornery but let us use the boats and stuff...I haven't been up there since then but looking at pictures it has grown three fold. blondie send some cool weather to the cities I'm sick of this heat.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 324

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper, will do, sending all our cool air down your way!! It is only 56 out there now. It was 60 earlier, but the temp keeps dropping. Only 61 over the hill, so not much warmer.

It might have been the same people that you are talking about that owned the resort when we used to go there, as believe at that time, they had it for many years. Their restaurant was really popular back then when we used to go, packed on weekends.

The one year they had a young newly married couple running the resort. That didn't work out, so one of their hired hands was supposed to take over managing the resort the next year, that is when we really quit going there ourselves!!

We have stayed in the A frame cabin down by the river and also stayed in the one right across from the A frame also by the river. Also we have stayed in the cabin right by the bridge. Many times in the motel units, and they were nice as had kitchenettes in them, the one had two bedrooms, now that was really nice. Our son stayed in the big one by the lodge, that was nice and had a nice view.

It is a very nice resort, but not really good for children, as they have to cross that busy road to go swimming.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 325

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper, I just checked out Silver Rapids site myself, and I see they allow dogs now in some units. When we used to go there, they recommended a nearby kennel.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just went to their website also but I don't recognize the cabin we lived in maybe it was torn down and they put an upgraded one in...you know I should get up that way again and see if it is still there.

torggy

Post Number: 911

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been awesome here. Mid sixties and raining. Only problem is now the lawn wants to grow. The rain sure helped the fruit trees though.

I got a call last week from Joe Gustafson and his wife Carolyn. Both are 1971 CV grads. Turns out Joe lives here is western Washington and well be spending some time in my area next month. Looking forward to spending some time with him.

Joe says he has some copies of the old school paper, the Echo. I had forgot all about that paper till he mentioned it. Hope to have some scans from some of them soon. He also has some Landmarks from the late Sixties that would be fun to see.

He was telling me about the store his dad used to run on the Ryan road. Anyone remember that? It was on the left going up the Ryan just before the Englund Road.

Joe has all kinds of stuf. He also has pictures of Hjalmers harbor being dredged and many of the things he built. Looking forward to seeing some of his treasure trove.

Hey Joe! is this the right Gustafson family?
gustafson family

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checkin in - back from another campin trip.
Bought a new popup on Ebay from a dealer and had to go to Michigan to get it, so I had to stay at my favorite campground In Grand Marais Michigan. I was thinking last night - its a rough life when you have to sit on the edge of Lake Superior and watch the sun sink into the water.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 326

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy that would be so interesting if some of the stuff Joe Gustafson has could be scanned and put on the forum. Looking forward to that.

MJ, glad you enjoyed your camping trip over to Grand Marais. I do agree with you, very nice campground. How do you like your new pop up camper?

Rather humid out there this morning and much warmer, hope the darn wind doesn't come up off the lake and ruin it.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Echo would come out. It would feature some Seniors what their likes were. It would also list TV shows or movies and then put a name of current students as the stars. I wished I would had saved those papers. Man how easy it would had been just to slide them into a year book. Oh the youth, never really planning ahead.

I wonder if Northshore's would have any copies of those? I would had thought the school would had saved a copy of each one. Just a thought. Today's school would save papers on a hard drive or a CD.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are very entertaining with all your cold weather complaints. It's hot, hot, hot here and more of the same to come. We do have overcast in the mornings but it burns off by 7:30 am.

I worked on the Echo in 1967 and it was so much fun. I can't believe I didn't save any either. It would be worth checking in with the library at North Shore to see - ask Barb Jackson.

Torggy - is Joe related to Pixie Gustafson (Elrose)? Kathy and I graduated with her.

How are you enjoying your time back there, LWM?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 327

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I called my uncle tonight and asked about the Gustafson family.
Here is what he told me. Yes Ole had a hardware store up the Ryan and Englund Road, and now I do remember it, selling lumber, etc. He said the metal building is still standing.

There were three brothers, Gus, Ben and Ole. Gus wife was Pixie, and he thought her name was Elrose or something like that, so Boon, the person you graduated with must be related down the line.

He said Ole has a son living in Cohasset, and he runs into him every once in awhile. Gus lived to be 96 and was a fireman/engineer for the railroad.

Gus and Ole started a trucking business, and trucked fish all the way from Grand Marais to Chicago!! How they kept the fish from spoiling he has no idea.

He was telling me that my grandma came from ND with her two brothers when she was 18, outside of Jamestown in Model T. The first day they made it to Brainerd, and the second day to Duluth. The boys slept in a tent, and she had to sleep in the Model T...sleep did I say, don't think she got much sleep!!!! So, just think how long it took them from Grand Marias to Chicago!!! Unreal!! Those vehicles sure didn't have the speed we do now, nor were the roads good, gravel!!!

He said Ole and Roy Abrahamson were the best of friends.

Also where the Northshore school is, he said that was owned by Johnson's, he doesn't remember the guys first name though.

It was hot here today Boon, so we ate our supper out on the patio. I started thinking about my Grandma A and how in the heat of the summer, she cooked all her meals out on the wood stove outside. With no fans to speak of, they never cooked inside during the summer! She heated the water outside also, for washing clothes, which in the summer, she did outside also by the wood stove, and also for our baths in the big round metal tub, my aunt and I together. Had to haul the water though from around the house...outside pump. In the summer, they kept their milk and butter, and other foods down this well.

If I am wrong about anything concerning the Gustafson family, please correct me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 328

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am stirring memories for my uncle, he just called.
He said there was a little grocery store where Schwendingers lived, it was owned by Gustafson, different family, and it was in the house. After the war, they moved the store into town on 54th or something like that.

Concerning the Northshore school property, it was owned by Eric Johnson and he had a son named Lloyd and a daughter.

Then he was telling me that him, Bud Nolte, and Carl Sundstrom worked up the Cascade River near Grand Marais at a lodge, not the lodge by the shore, this was inland and they lived in a cabin there, and worked the Cascade Rearing Ponds...fish ponds. He himself worked the years, 48, 49 and 50. He said it was the best job, and he got to know every lake in the area, as they stocked them with fish, carrying them in packsacks somehow.

Like I keep saying my uncle is a wealth of info on the French River area, just unreal, just start stirring his memory bank and he has lots of info to pass on.

As I am talking to him, I am trying to write this down on what ever is handy!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ole Gustafson had a Diamond T dump truck and used to haul the gravel out of the dam when they dredged it. He was Ben's brother. Gust was Ted, Linda, and Pixie's dad. They lived in on the Mace Road.

The Gustafson that lived where Schwendingers are now was William Gustafson and they moved to 54th and Superior street.The Ostern family lived in the house after William. Judy Stromgren is married to Bob, one of the twins.

Oh, Adeline Winberg was a sister to Ben, Gust, and Ole.

I met Joe Gustafson at my brother's house a few years ago. He has a collection of classic cars.

Where the heck are the Lake Superior fish? Another trip yesterday without a bite!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 329

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the heat wave has hit.
It is 92 here.
Over in Superior it is 94, boy that iced tea with our lunch sure hit the spot.
Coming onto the Bong bridge from there, our thermometer showed 101...now that is mighty hot!!
Usually along London Road it is always cool, not today, 88.

Oh yes, lots of people down at Burlington Bay, many sitting with their chairs by the water, or in the water, with their feet cooling off, some swimming, many jumping off the point.

(Message edited by Blondie on July 24, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 330

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weather update, it is now cooling off. Our natural AC kicked in, winds off the lake, temps are dropping fast, 10 degrees in the last few minutes. Par for the course.
Wonder if so many are still down at the Bay now!!!!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the weekend it is suppose to be back down in the 70's I hope so I am bring my air conditioners up to my new place on friday to get it cooled down up there I know about the temp difference Blondie my new place will be just before you come down the last hill so it will be conciderable hotter up there but yesterday it was hotter at my place then up the hill august is always hotter by the lake you must remember that Boon from when you lived by the lake. Then it stays warmer by the lake the rest of the year including the winter although years ago it got plenty cold by the lake when they pulled their skiffs on the ice to pull up their nets we will never see that again in our life time your lucky if it freezes in the harbor now I'm going to pull the plug on my puter on friday then it won't be connected untill some time on the first so I'll be back on then well back to packing

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be in TH for a golf outing Friday, I hope it stays cool...does anyone know what time the Lighthouse Restaurant opens Saturday?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 331

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper as far as I know the restaurant opens at 11.

My husband used to ice fish in the harbor, rarely do you see it iced over anymore, if it does, it is short lived. I remember the big lake being frozen over, and guys riding their snowmobiles over to Wisconsin. At times it is hard to believe we have global warming around here, but yet we know it is happening, as the lake doesn't freeze over anymore.

Sure hope you like your new place Kathy. You have such pretty flowers around where you live now.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks blondie, unfortunately I'll be heading back south by that time.

torggy

Post Number: 912

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The new Lighthouse resturant got a very nice article in the paper:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=46828&section=homepage

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 333

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I was just going to put this in myself.
Only thing, they didn't show the inside on the internet. In the paper, there was a nice big picture of the inside.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 334

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading in the Chronicle about the high school, they are going to tear it down.
In the biology classroom they found some old cabinets, guess where they were from...CLOVER VALLEY SCHOOL!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

stayed at my new place last nite was up late reconfiguring my drapps so I thought I would just only thing no air conditioning didn't cool down till four am didn't get much sleep tonite I'm staying at my old place will be moving early am the flowers are pretty I will take some of them with me I have a small patio up their so I will have to put plants in pots next year but thats ok it sure is peaceful up their well I am shutting down I should be up and running some time on the first talk to you then

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

UPDATING SOME INFORMATION FOR THE 1967 CLASS REUNION, SEPT 7TH AND 8TH. FINAL PLANS HAVE BEEN MADE. FRIDAY NIGHT MIXER AT MARY (GRUBB) PRESTIDGE'S HOUSE AT 6:30. DINNER SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE LIGHTHOUSE ON HOLMSTEAD, 7 PM MIXER IN THE BAR AREA, DINNER AT 8 PM. STILL HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET GARY NYLEN'S ADDRESS, PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO HIM IF ANYONE SEES OR TALKS TO HIM.THE DINNER IS RESERVED FOR CLASSMATES AND GUEST, BUT ANYONE CAN STOP IN THE BAR AREA TO SAY HI TO MEMBERS OF THE CLASS OF 67. MARILYN

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seen the new Lighthouse building, they should be commended it's very nice, my only thought is, if I didn't know where the Homestead Road was I would have driven right by it, I didn't see any signs,it wasn't open yet but I would like to try it sometime none the less...forgive a stupid question, the safe harbor looks beautiful but what's it supposed to be used for? I haven't been on the old road for many years, there are some nice homes on old 61.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 335

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper, how was your golf game? The fairways look pretty dry from what I see from the road.

There is a sign saying Homestead Road, I have seen it. We stopped at the Castle for supper, but I prefer the Lighthouse, we turned up there and oh my goodness was it ever packed, people waiting outside even. I imagine the article in the paper, got lots of people curious!!!!

The safe harbor is for boats to take shelter if they are out on the big lake and a storm comes up.

Oh yes, lots of nice homes along 61. We were up in Hermantown today, and where our niece lives you should see the beautiful homes on her street, unreal!!! Lots for sale though also!!!

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks blondie, the game went fine, lots of fun...I should have said there is no sign for the restaurant on either the new road or the old road.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 336

Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Skipper, there used to be a sign though, heading towards TH, but none done by the old highway.
I haven't paid any attention even, maybe they had to take it down.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 338

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, do you remember the Hoagie family, not sure of the spelling?
Yesterday someone asked me if I remember them, and it was I do but I don't type of thing.

How is your golf game going? Have you ever played the course up at Lutsen?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I do remember the Hauge family. The father's name was Loren. They lived next house up from Bruce and Patty Lundgren on the Holmstead Road.

Kyle and I are going to play the Legend up in Biwabik next week. It's a nice golf course so I'm looking forward to it. Been too hot and humid to enjoy playing although I played nine up at Silver Bay yesterday.

caroleb74
Rookie Poster
Username: caroleb74

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, It has been a busy summer or I would have posted sooner. I would like to see the picture you mentioned earlier. I am registered now, but don't know how to PM. Can you help? Thanks.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 339

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back, I wondered what happened to you.
To send a private message to any registered poster, just click on their name on the left, it is in blue. (if their names is in black, they are not registered) Another screen comes up, and on there, there is a place to send a private message.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Carole it is nice to have you here on the site. It is good you finally found some time to put up your first post. I hope to see some shared stories in the future.

I hope everyone is ehjoying the heat. Remember that January is not that far off. I am sure we are all hot and sweaty but we could be freezing and shoveling. Like last March.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 340

Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Maxx, it is hot, but your lucky you work in an AC building. I fair better than many, can tolerate more heat. Now I think back to all my years of working in a non AC place, well just the sitting area had it, don't know how I did it to be honest.
Yep, old man winter is knocking at our door!!!! I am going to enjoy the rest of what summer we have left.
Just wish we would get a good rain, not a teaser like we had today.

torggy

Post Number: 918

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mindestrom-Levitt, Josey Jenai

Josey Jenai Mindestrom - Levitt, infant daughter of Eric Mindestrom and Lacey Levitt of Two Harbors, was born and died on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at St. Luke's Hospital. She is preceded in death by her grandfather, Jon 'Jack' Mindestrom. Along with her parents, Josey is survived by her brother, Domminick Levitt; grandparents, Heather Mindestrom of French River and Doug and Wendy Levitt of Two Harbors; aunts and uncles, Heidi Mindestrom of Crested Butte, Colo., Roy and Mikel Levitt of Duluth; and many other family. PRIVATE VISITATION FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS:10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 3, 2007 until the 11 a.m. service in Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Two Harbors. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 8/2/2007.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 341

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sympathy to LWM and his family on their loss.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My deepest sympathy to the Mindestrom and Levitt families. I am so very sorry.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the kind words folks. Another tragedy-hopefully this is the last one for a long time.

Everyone, just a reminder. The Homesteader's Coming Home Party at the Duluth Townhall is August 11 from 1 to 4:30 pm. You are welcome to attend. Those of you that are retired and from the area, membership dues are only $2 per year! A good chance to socialize with your old neighbors.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sympathy LWM well am getting pretty seattled in my new place I love it it is so quiet of coarse I picked the hottest weekend of the summer to move! I really felt bad for my family but they were troppers and got me moved in and my air conditioners in so I could unpack comfortably now I have to adjust to new surroundings and prepare for my surgery I will keep in touch

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 342

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just want to thank whoever started this forum, Torggy?
Without it, I would never have made connections with the people that I have, that I know and I hope as time goes on, more connections will be made. If it wasn't for my son being on the TH forum, and showing me this one, I probably would not have known it existed even.
A BIG THANK YOU!!!

torggy

Post Number: 921

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you like it. I also have made contact with people because of this board.

It was my idea but Brad was the one that made it happen. The thanks should go to him.

With that this thread has reached the magic 100th post. Time for a new thread.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration