Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Late Summer News < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found out a bit of news I wasn't aware of in a conversation with Ed Engleson. Bloomingdale School, back in the early 30s was 12 grades. There was also an additional classroom building on the east side of the school that looked like the teacherages at CV. Cliff Sundstrom also remembered that building. I will be seeing those guys again later this week and will try to get more interesting information from them.

Another reminder, don't forget about the Coming Home Party at the townhall next Saturday, 1 to 4:30pm. They passed around a signup sheet for sandwiches, cake, etc. or a small donation will also work! It's a good chance to see some of your old neighbors and maybe even some classmates! Live music also.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to mention that I had a nice visit with Jake (Bud) Schmidt a couple of weeks ago. He was my late brother Mike's best friend so it was really nice to catch up. Also had a chance to visit with Blondie and her husband. I hadn't seen her since 1960!!! I drive right by her house on my way up to my brother's place.

And Kathleen, your uncle Lawrence (Nick) was sitting on the front porch on the hottest day fixing an extension cord so I went down to the Candy Shop and got some Ice Cream bars and we polished them off!!!He is a riot to talk with. Sharp guy for his age!He comes over to the campground once in awhile and we pick on Randy!

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CLASS OF 67'S DINNER RESERVATION AT THE LIGHT HOUSE GOT CANCELED ON WED. SO WITH SOME FAST PHONE CALLS TRYING TO FIND A PLACE ON SHORT NOTICE FOR 40 PEOPLE WE RESERVED SAT NIGHT AT THE LEDGE ROCK GRILLE IN LARSMONT. BEEN THERE AND ENJOYED A NICE MEAL. FRIDAY NIGHT STILL WILL BE AT MARY'S. SOCIAL HOUR ON SAT, AT 6:30 AND DINNER 7:30. CASTLE WAS BOOKED FOR WEDDING AND SOME SPECIAL EVENT. MARILYN

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what happened allstory? I was so looking forward going to the light house but I guess it cann't be helped I'll be their where ever it maybe

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAD MESSAGE LEFT ON MY ANSWERING MACHINE, JUST SAID DECIDED THAT THEY WERE SO BUSY LATELY THAT THEY HAD TO CANCEL. THAT'S IT, I HAD STOPPED THERE THE WEEK BEFORE TO GO OVER EVERYTHINBG BEFORE WE MAILED THE LETTERS, LUCKLY AN EMPLOYEE AT WORK WAS SICK AND MARY AND I WERE FILLING IN AND WE DIDN'T GET ALL THE LETTERS ADDRESSED, I WOULD HAVE BEEN FURIOUS HAD ALL 40 OF THE LETTERS BEEEN MAILED. ALSO I HAD JUST BEEN THERE ON SUNDAY AND THEY NEVER SAID A THING.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 923

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allstory, what is the date for that get-together?

Sorry you had to change at the last minute and glad you were able to recover so quickly. Good job! An after reunion report is required

Two great thinks happened at last weeks Homesteaders meeting. One is that LWM gave this website a great plug and the other is that my Dad was able to announce that the chickens are finally laying eggs. Thanks to LWM my Dad and the chickens for their efforts.

Hope everyone that can makes it to the coming home party. Sounds like a good time. Live music too! wow!

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE 1967 CLASS REUNION IS SEPT. 7TH AND 8TH. THE 7TH IS FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE PRESTIDGE ON HWY 12 NEAR AIRPORT AND THEN SAT. NIGHT AT THE LEDGE ROCK GRILLE. WE WILL POST OUR GOOD TIME AFTER.

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 196

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a "copy and paste" from the Two Harbors Forum.

I don't know if anyone from Clover Valley is reading this but we found some cabinet units at the old THHS that are from the old Clover Valley school. They will be avaiable at the sale as silent auction items and they are beauties - sliding glass doors and adjustable shelves. Once over with old english and they would be great collectible display cases.

We also have the Superintendant's desk (about 50 years old I think?) and a side stand that went in the Supts office as well for the silent auction. Other items of interest for the silent auction - a set of large metal cabinets (3 large uprights and 4 separate shelf units), a set of "banker's vault" file cabinets with a lot of matching shelving units, and a large kiln - condition unknown at this time.

Regular items for sale - costumes, chairs (lots more added), student desks, teacher desks, tables, tons of wood shelves from around the building (mostly library), bookcases, shelving units, assorted "stuff" from the metals shop, shelving glass, old glass light fixture globes (cool shape), doors of all types, and much more!

I hope to see all of you at the sale this Saturday!

Cyndi
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well thats a bummer allstory will see you for sure at Marys and then at the dinner afew days later I go under the knife so it will be great to see everyone one last time just kidding I'm pretty well settled up here will have a get together when time and health allows every thing seems to be happening so fast for me

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 08:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great turnout for the Coming Home Party. They estimated 150 people, according to some of the members it was the most they had seen.

Plenty of good food and music.

Remember, those of you living in the area, the Homesteaders meet the first Wednesday of the month. Roy Mattson will do a presentation at the next meeting on his experiences flying the B-17, B-24 bombers in WWII. I'm not sure which one it was, so Roy, forgive me if I have it wrong!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad the turn out was so good maybe next year I will plan better and show up My uncle Ole had his 85 birthday on saturday so thats where I was for awhile its been pretty dead around here everyone must be getting their vacations and taking offI got an e-mail from Boon she won't be making it to our class reunion because all of the time she spent up here while her Dad was ill she suggested,since we are all getting older maybe we should think about a five year reunion I'm for it what do you think Marilyn? Saw yours and Dicks picture in the Sunday paper congrats you have to really be married to your best friend to make it 40 years Boon said she and Gary just celebrated their 37th also congrats Boon you don't find many best friends of the opposite sex that is It's nice to here about the success in marriage

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 343

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got back this morning. We were up to our son's with the grandkids, since the 4th.
Son and wife did the Sturgis thing, guess they had a nice time.
Yesterday, they took me up to the PowWow at Grand Portage, first time and I felt right at home. Some beautiful outfits some of the tribe's had, and also some very good dancers. I had to buy my Indian Drum music CD.

Allstory, I also saw your WA picture in the paper, congratulations. Next month it will be 45 years for me and hubby.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 344

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, that is interesting about Bloomingdale being 12 grades. I wonder where all the rooms were, although back then, I am sure the classes were really small and combined. Is there anything in the book about that? I don't recall, and too lazy to dig out my book.
Did you find out anymore interesting info?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, they had a building on Nolte's side of the school which housed a number of grades. Ed Engleson said they played basketball in there after they quit using it as a classroom.

Had too many people to speak with so didn't get a chance to do any info seeking.

Boon, sorry you can't make it to the reunion. I'll make it a point to get in touch with you after I get back to CA. Leaving here the 14th of Sept.

Ted and Carol Thompson stopped by Sat. evening. Ted is class of 63. They own Duluth Camera down on Superior Street. Had a nice visit with them.

Torggy, haven't seen your mother for a few days so no egg report!!

Golf at Nemadji this am.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 60

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll look forward to it, LWM.

I'm sorry I'm missing the reunion as well. There are many "kids" I haven't seen since graduation. My best to you all and I look forward to the pictures via e-mail.

I remember Ted Thompson very well. Glad you got to see and visit with them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 345

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too remember Ted Thompson, he used to ride the same bus as I did. I often wondered what happened to him. He had a sister named Bonnie.

torggy

Post Number: 926

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dad says he is getting two eggs a day and expects more soon. Plus one of the more troublesome roosters hits the grill this week.

Found this article in the Duluth paper:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48143&section=homepage
Growth problems for the area are just starting. The new sewer system is sure to add to the dilemma.

Sure sounds like a good time was had at the Coming Home Party. I sure look forward to attending that one of these years. Soon as work stops getting in the way I guess

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, there is an obituary for Kenny Peterson in the Duluth paper this am. Kenny lived at the section house in Palmers. He was a friend of many in the French River area and Two Harbors. Thought you might want to post it.

torggy

Post Number: 928

Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peterson, Kenneth H.

Kenneth H. Peterson, 78, Two Harbors, Minn. died Sunday, August 19, 2007 at the Lake View Home. SERVICE:11 a.m., Monday, Aug. 27, 2007 at French River Lutheran Church. Burial will be at Lake View Palmers Cemetery, Duluth, Twp. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 8/20/2007.

Great minds think alike. I was just looking at the obit wondering if I should post it.

Lighthouse on Homestead
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the class of '67....
We want to apologize for any inconvenience in not being able to accomodate your reunion. We felt we had a shortage of space to comfortably seat your group in one area along with our regular evening diners. Service and quality mean a lot to us and being so new we could not jeapordize that for any of our customers. We hope you have a wonderful time at your reunion and please stop by and check us out.
"The Lighthouse on Homestead"

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

lighthouse I for one of the 67 class understand no problem who Knows our next reunion you will have exspanded and enough room will be had by allIt sure won't stop us from stopping by

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sister in law stopped by a few weeks ago, she said it was fantastic!

torggy

Post Number: 930

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kenneth H. 'Kenny Pete', 78, Two Harbors, Minn., died Sunday, Aug. 19, 2007, at the Lake View Nursing Home. He was born in Duluth on Aug. 4, 1929, to Henry and Agnes (Morey) Peterson. He attended school at Clover Valley and was raised at the Switch House in Palmers. Between July 1948 and July 1951 Kenny was in the infantry with a rank of Private First Class during the Korean War with the U.S. Marines. After military discharge he returned to Minnesota and was employed at Reserve Mining Company until his retirement. In his retirement years, he enjoyed gardening, making firewood, hauling gravel and enjoying his bus trips. Kenny loved to work hard and enjoyed spending time with his friends. He was preceded in death by his father in 1966; his mother in 1992; and his sister, Carol (Lauren) Wiederholt in 2003. Kenny had a multitude of loyal, devoted and dedicated friends and he was the same to them. He is survived by his sister, Marilyn (Bud) Beckwith of Mesa, Ariz.; four nieces; four nephews; six grand nieces; 14 grand nephews; six great grand nieces; and nine great grand nephews scattered between Arizona, Minnesota and Wisconsin. A special thank you to St. Mary's Hospice, nurses, social workers and aides. Also thank you to the Lake View Home and their nurses and aids. They were all angels. SERVICE:11 a.m. Monday, Aug. 27, 2007 in French River Lutheran Church. Lunch following service. Burial at 2 p.m. at Lake View Palmers Cemetery, Duluth, Twp. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 8/23/2007.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 346

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.lighthouseonhomestead.com/

In the Wave section of the Duluth paper today, was a big article about the restaurant. I tried to find it on the net to post on here, but couldn't find it.

Too bad the website for the restaurant doesn't show the inside and also its menu. Again, I didn't find anything on there anyway.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 347

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48757&section=wave

I finally found the article on the net about the restaurant that was in todays paper

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recieved a email from Perry P. about the reunion and i emailed him back, haven't heard anything again, Perry I hope you got my message and can still make the reunion, marilyn

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 350

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, your my man for info. What is the scoop at the Moose Club? Charley told my husband the other day, he is out looking for a job, as everyone got fired. Sure your brother knows more about this.
I did put a thread on the TH forum, so far only one person has written, and this person is wondering also.

LWM your info is always right on.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 351

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anyone home?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, don't know very much about the Moose Lodge situation other than what you all have heard. They did send Reps up from Eau Claire and they interviewed a lot of people. Nothing concrete to report. Lots of rumors floating around. They are back open their normal hours. Someone said the for sale sign was coming down but it was still there Saturday. Like I said, everything is rumor so nothing new to report. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything other than rumor.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 352

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks LWM
with the smoking ban going into effect Oct 1st, I imagine this will have a big effect on bars, etc.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 356

Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Went by the Lighthouse today, and low and behold they have cleared the trees away, so now you can see it really good, either direction.

Would have stopped there to eat, but we had a gift certificate for Blackwoods, so ate there in Duluth on our way home. Thank goodness for the gift certificate, not cheap there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 357

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FYI,
Dorothy Nolte Bloomquist passed away, a good friend of my aunts and sure some of you knew her.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wasn't she the notary that lived above the tracks but below the freeway on the Ryan Rd?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 358

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Cindy she was.
But, she hasn't lived there for the past 7 months, her son Rick moved her down closer to him in Minneapolis.

Way back in posts there was talk of Nolte's store, which was east of the old Bloomingdale school, her parents store.

I find this interesting, it shows Two Harbors Forum in my notice that someone had posted to this.....what happened to Clover Valley Forum showing up, as I posted on CV forum, not TH forum!!!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 937

Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dorothy A. Blomquist, 81, lifelong Duluth resident, passed away peacefully in her sleep at her home in Edina, Minn. She was born in Duluth on April 11, 1926 to Walter and Florence Nolte. On Aug. 25, 1951 she married Ruben Blomquist and together they raised two sons. Dorothy was a member of French River Lutheran Church. She had served as the Duluth Township Town Clerk for 27 years. Dorothy enjoyed traveling across the U.S. in the family R.V. and her monthly Bridge Club. She is preceded in death by her parents; her husband Ruben (1995); her brother, Walter Nolte, Jr.; and an infant sister. Survivors include her two sons, William Blomquist (Annette Royer) of Duluth and Richard (Christine) of Golden Valley; and two grandchildren, Andrew and Rebecca of Duluth. GRAVESIDE SERVICE:11 a.m. Tuesday, Sept 4, 2007 in Lakeview Palmers Cemetery. Rev. Greg Garmer officiating.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 9/2/2007.

torggy

Post Number: 939

Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting article about the passing of Russ Kendall.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=49489&section=homepage

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 747

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going back home will never be the same again without Russ being there. We always stopped at Kendall's store for some smoke ciscos and a cool one...

RIP Russ...

torggy

Post Number: 940

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got this email from a class of 67 grad:

My husband is going to his 40th reunion this weekend he had gone to Clover Valley, but everyone is wondering if anyone has pictures of Bloomingdale.

Would appreciate any infomation.

Can anyone help these guys out? If so please send to:
disgruntled@chartermi.net

I know there are some pictures out there. But could be tough to get it to them by the reunion time.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 370

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THIS POST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LATE SUMMER NEWS, BUT I WANTED TO SHARE SOMETHING WITH YOU THAT HAPPENED TO ME RECENLTY. I BELONG TO THIS NEWSLETTER AND POSTED THE QUESTION BELOW, AND FRIDAY THEY POSTED A RESPONSE BACK IN THE NEWSLETTER.

This Week's Top Questions & Answers

Avast Prevents C From Making A Serious Mistake- What Did She Do Wrong?

I have Avast Anti Virus protection and yesterday it stopped a Trojan Horse. I belong to a forum, and just the day before, got an e-mail that stated I had a private message, so I logged in. Yesterday, from the same forum, I got another e-mail, private message, so I put my user name and password in, clicked on Login....what a shock to see on my screen from Avast, TROJAN HORSE found, it advised me to abort the connection, which I did and then ran my virus check. This is the first time I have had anything like this happen going into a website. Is there anything you can add to this?

Answer
There is a trojan which has been around for several years which goes by the name of 'storm' and it has many, many variants. One of the recent ways it was being spread (and we cover this here) was by sending out millions of emails containing variants of "Here is your login information" or "Thank you for joining....." and so on. We think, what happened to you, is that you were tricked into attempting to access your forum by these "phishing" emails. You clicked the link in the email (that's a NO NO!) thinking it was going to lead to your forum and instead it was actually a link to a direct download of one of the many variants of the 'storm' trojan which is the most prevalent malicious file now circulating on the 'net.

We cannot stress strongly enough, especially these days, if you receive an email which appears to contain any sort of login information that you did not ask for or requesting you verify any login information especially from a financial institution, bank, credit card company, or online pay site, DO NOT ACCESS THE SITE FROM LINKS IN THOSE EMAILS.

Had you gone to your forum in the usual way (i.e. by typing the address in the browser's address bar, or clicking on a shortcut in your Favorites menu or desktop shortcut) you would not have received any warning because you would have been at the forum's Web site. But when you clicked in that spoofed email you clicked a download link to a trojan. Links are not hard to spoof. We could say visit the Ice Cream Forum at http://www.icecream-forum.com - and if you click that link, you don't go to the Ice Cream Forum ..but somewhere else. Right? Don't trust links in email unless you are positive you know who sent it, and that the links do not request any sort of changes in your login information. Also, unless you have recently signed up for a membership to a forum or site which requires a login, don't trust emails that seem to come out of nowhere, which contain "temporary passwords" or temporary usernames. Recently, these types of emails have infected hundreds of thousands of computers with the 'storm' trojan or one its many variants. But the only way you can become infected by these emails is if you take action, i.e. click on a link in one of these types of sp/am emails.

AVAST provides you with very good protection -as good as any and you're doing well to have AVAST installed and keeping it updated. But, as always, your first line of defense has to be your own good judgment and your common sense. Never rely on any program to keep you safe by itself. You have to cautious and thinking all the time when you're on the Web and when reading emails. Never assume anything. If you're going to error, error on the side of caution and don't click any links in any email unless you are 100% positive that the email you received was expected and from someone you trust. annot stress strongly enough, especially these days, if you receive an email which appears to contain any sort of login information that you did not ask for or requesting you verify any login information especially from a financial institution, bank, credit card company, or online pay site, DO NOT ACCESS THE SITE FROM LINKS IN THOSE EMAILS.

I WILL ADD HERE, IT WAS NOT HIS FORUM, BUT AS MANY OF YOU KNOW YOU CAN GET E-MAIL NOTIFICATION WHEN SOMEONE POSTS AND THEN CLICK ON THE SHORTCUT LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO TAKE YOU DIRECTLY TO LIKE "LATE SUMMER NEWS". WHICH IN THE PAST I DID ALL THE TIME. GUESS WHAT NOT ANYMORE, I WILL GO INTO FAVORITES AND CLICK ON THE CV LINK IN THERE FROM NOW ON. I WAS LUCKY THIS TIME THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY!!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, there is a picture of Bloomingdale in one of our previous posting titles, I can't remember which one though. They can click on each and scroll thru. Doesn't take that long.

Had a tour of your dad's garden. He is a master gardener. Also met "Henny Penny"! Had a nice visit with your folks.

Heading back to CA on Friday.

torggy

Post Number: 941

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a great idea LMW. Another way to find back topics, such as "Bloomingdale" is to click on the "search" button at the top or bottom of the page and type in a "key" word. I did send the best picture I had. I was also hoping it would poke some of the lurkers out there to get involved.

Dad's garden is quite the place and the chickens have been quite the addition. Hope you like the eggs!

Have a safe ride back to the west coast.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 371

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just went through my parents old suitcase of pictures, hoping to fine some of Bloomingdale School. This is the only one I found, and I have no idea the year.
old bloomingdale school

To the right, you can just make out another building.

torggy

Post Number: 942

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a great picture of that old school! There is at least one other building in between the two in the fore-ground. Thanks for digging through the old suitcase.

Sorry ya had such a close call with that virus. Seems some will go to any length to be a pain in the butt. Someone should take a screwdriver to their USB ports.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a great trip, LWM. The weather should be good for you this time of year.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THE CLASS OF 67'S REUNION WAS A GREAT SUCCESS. FRIDAY NIGHT AT MARY'S WAS A TIME FOR ALL OF US TO RECAP SOME OF THOSE SPECIAL EVENTS AND TEACHERS. WE ENJOYED WATCHING THE DVD MADE FROM A OLD 8 MM FILM OF THE PROM AT THE CASTLE IN 1966, FUN TO PICK OUT CLASSMATES FROM 68,67,66. AND A FEW GUYS FROM 65. WE HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT THE OLD CASTLE LOOKED LIKE. THE DVD IS ONLY 4 0R 5 MINUTES LONG BUT HOW FUN TO SEE THE OLD HAIR STYLES AND THE BIG DARK GLASSES WE THOUGHT WERE SO STYLISH THEN, GEO SWANSON HAS AVAILABLE SOME MORE OF THE DVD'S IF YOU WERE THERE THAT YEAR OR FAMILY WAS GET A HOLD OF GEORGE, HE'S IN THE PHONE BOOK, LIVES IN CULVER. SAT, NITE DINNER WAS ALSO GOOD AND ENJOYED BY ALL. THERE WERE 14 FROM OUR CLASS THERE. KATHY LEE WHO WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO COMING HAD BEEN IN HOSPITAL BEING OF THE WEEK AND COULDN'T MAKE IT, AND ALSO TERRI STROMBERG WHO PLANNED ON COMING HAD TO HAVE KNEE SURGERY ON THRUS, REPORTS ARE THEY BOTH ARE FEELING BETTER, IT SOUNDS LIKE KATHY WILL NEED TO GO BACK IN FOR SURGERY WHEN SHE'S OVER A BAD INFECTION, WE MISSED THEM BOTH NIGHTS. DARLENE MATTSON CAME IN ON CRUTCHES AS HAD A FOUR WHEELER ACCIDENTS 4 WEEKS EARLIER IN UTAH WHERE SHE LIVES, SHE SAID IT WOULD TAKE A MORE THEN A FRACTURED PELVIS TO KEEP HER HOME.WE WILL BE MAILING OR EMAILING PICTURES OF THE WEEKEND IN A WEEK OR SO. MARILYN

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 373

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the class of 67 had fun inspite of things happening.
Sorry to hear about Kathy's health problems, as know she was so looking forward to her class reunion. I was so shocked yesterday when I got her PM message telling what happened. Speedy recovery to you Kathy.

LWM, I wish we could have gotten together another time, but summer slipped by so fast, just can't believe it, well maybe next summer.
Have a safe trip back home.

They mentioned snow on the weather forecast this morning, up near the border, too early.

Torggy, you mentioned there is atleast another building between the two in the foreground, that would be the farm that was/in the field east of the school...Walstroms(spelling) own it now. I'll be the first in line with the screw driver to use on those USB ports, or better yet, naw can't say it on here!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 381

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WE HAD FROST LAST NIGHT.
Yep even here by the lake. I didn't cover any of my flowers, but from the looks of it, even the fragile ones are still alive this morning.
Seems early to me, as usually I don't have to worry about my flowers until early Oct.

tÝre
Pro Poster
Username: tÝre

Post Number: 481

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grampa's store was in Knife River (Ronning's) next door to Kendall's, and thus Kendalls Store often landed in various photos and backgrounds.
Here is a classic deer season shot from probably the 1940's or 50's.

RIP Russell
kendalls

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 386

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neat picture Tore...say how did you get that line through the o in your name?

Look at that old pump. My uncle had one similar to that one.
In looking through my parents old photo's, they had a car like that in the early 50's, but I am sure it was older than that, as dad could never afford new cars.

tÝre
Pro Poster

Post Number: 482

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One can type special fonts by using various keystrokes. Hold down alt key, then press 0248 for the Ý. You can find other character keystrokes at start>all programs>accesories>system tools>character map

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 387

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, didn't even know there was such a thing.
Had this one year, and have discovered lots of things it can do, but still learning.
Thanks!

I stole the "lighthouse" quite sometime ago, love putting that in my e-mails!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use to hang out at Grandma Ronnings all the time when I was a kid she would give us a bottle of grape pop with a straw in it and we would sit on a bar stool thought we were hot stuff She was a wonderful person always took the time with us kids to talk always kept track of us when we were growing up when we would be in knife river after we grew up we had to stop and say hi to her good memories by the way thanks for the concern I won't beable to have my knee surgery untill after the first of the year due to the infection in my body will be going in for more surgery in a couple weeks

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Grandma Ronning we use to go to her bar when we were little and have a grape soda with a straw in it and sit at the bar she kept track of all of us kids and we all stopped by to say hello after we left home what warm fuzzy memories also thanks for the concern about my health I will be going back in for more surgery in a couple of weeks after my infection has cleared up also I had to postpone my knee surgery till after the first of the year

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry I screwed up I thought the first one didn't go through

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grandma Ronning sounds like a top notch gal, what happened to her grandson?

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TÝre great old photo old car in front of Kendalls. My Dad still talks of the old hunting seasons and seening many cars loaded up with the spoils of the hunt. The passing of Russ was sad news. Back in my youth I had many the stop to Kendalls to have some smoked fished. Like everyone else, this summer has been busy. Seeing the photo reminds me that it is almost time to start checking on the stands for the first weekend in November.

tÝre
Pro Poster

Post Number: 484

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a shot of Grampa's store. Assuming the boy is my dad, the photo is about 1940.
Grampa and Kendall's ran similar businesses right next door to each other. My mom says she'd get so embarassed when Grampa would stand out on the sidewalk, down by the Kendall end, and when a tourist would pull into Kendalls, they'd get out of the car and Grampa would coax them over to his place... he'd say "the fish is way better over here".
store

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 388

Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember seeing that building, look at the old car with the rumble seat.

Drove up the McQuade today, and the only house I recognized was Dahlbergs! I see on the north east corner of David Erickson's property on the Ryan someone is building.

Coming into town, there was the old steam engine with one passenger car behind, chugging up the hill over the overpass, with white smoke at first, then it stopped, and the smoke coming out was black as black could be. As I walked into the house, I heard it blow its whistles.

Dang its cold out there, it could snow!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 389

Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this picture of the log house we rented from Morris and Sadie Oberg back in the early 1950's. Don and Millie Oberg tore it down eventually and built there present home. This was on the Anderson Road, now Paul Road.

old oberg home

I wish it was clearer. Must be taken around Xmas time, as see the wreath on the door, and I know in the front window is a lighted wreath, we had those lighted wreaths in our windows in many homes over my growing up years.

torggy

Post Number: 945

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tore, Blondie I love the pictures. Sure is a look at a simplier time.

That must have been great to see and hear the old steam engine. The black smoke means that the engine is starting to pull harder. It must have been from the Musuem in the old Depot. I try to visit that place everytime I am back home.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 390

Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that was a simple time wasn't it. No TV, no running water, good old outhouse...UGH!

This Steam Engine came from some other city, they just got it. Actually they did a little program on it on TV. It will run on weekends only from the sounds of it, or at least on weekends for the rest of this season. My husband saw it on Saturday on the overpass, with two cars full of people, and he said the caboose was right behind the engine. When I saw it, it didn't have a caboose at all.
Yesterday when I was outside, I could hear its whistle and hear the chugging up the railroad grade.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in CA again. The drive thru Yellowstone (Hwy 93) was nice. The Aspen and bushes were turning bright yellow. Quite a contrast with the Blue of the Galitan River. The price of gas actually dropped as I got farther west. First time I have seen gas cheaper out here than back there.

Did anyone notice in the later picture of Bloomingdale that it appears to have wood siding? I also don't remember dormers on the east and west side of the building. They must have remodeled at some point and eliminated them.Blondie, check with Howard and see if he remembers.

Does anyone know anything about the road that has been punched into the woods behind Clover Valley?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 392

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey nice to hear from you again, glad you got back safe. Yes, that is unusual gas cheaper out west. I can't believe the Aspen are turning color already. Son was out in Colorado for one week, should ask him if they turned there. Gee, even our tree's haven't really turned yet.

Remember this is Bloomingdale school, back when, note the 3 young kids and their attire standing by the front....
There were dormers though, on the front side of the building, which direction that is, that is East? Also on the left side of the building there were windows upstairs, if not dormers. I remember looking out those windows many times when I babysat for Lindquists, the stairs came up by those windows, and there was a long hall going down to their living quarters. On the left side,(down) do you remember there was a door going outside, I do? The girls bathroom was just off to the north? of this door. I remember going out that door a few times, directly from that door, it went down into the basement.
Norma, she could give us the scope on this, as they lived upstairs for many years.

When I babysat, I would walk around downstairs, checking things out....good grief, sure wouldn't do that now days!! I even went down in the basement...kids were fast asleep. How dumb was this!!! But, times were different back then.

I gather you drove up by CV then?

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome back, LWM. You'll have some acclimating to do. The weather has been so nice and warm here - very little rain. Your trip sounds beautiful. Hope you enjoyed your visit with family and friends while in Minnesota. It certainly sounds like you did exactly that.

I wish I could go back a few times a year.....

I heard someone was building a subdivision behind CV, but I can't remember who told me that. Let me check with a friend who lives nearby.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 393

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM talked to both my uncles last night, and what is funny, they both thought Bloomingdale was built in the 30's....but pictures prove otherwise. Howard said, yes there were dormers, one facing east, one west and one large one across the south, none to the north. He does not remember 3 individual dormers when he went to school in the 30's, but one large one going across the front. Now he wants to see the picture I have, so will scan it and send it to him. These were the teachers living quarters.

He also remembers there being a door on the west side of the building and a long building in back. Also back in the 30's he remembers someone took Mrs. Liljander's wagon apart, and put it up on top of the south dormer (that would have been Lindquists kitchen/livingroom, the dormer above the front door)

Note in these two pictures taken out of "Roots of the Past"...in the 1919 it is exactly the same wood and same entrance as to the picture I have of Bloomingdale. Now look at 1925, it had changed, note the brick and sure that is stucco, and look at the double doors. I remember those double doors, and brick and stucco, and Howard also remarked that there were double doors in front, and he remembers brick on lower half and stucco on upper half of the building when he went to school. So, somewhere in the 20's they did some exterior work. That long window to the left of the double doors, was in the cloak room closet of the first grade classroom.

bloomingdale 1919

bloomingdale 1925

torggy

Post Number: 946

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put the wagon on the roof!? That's funny stuff. I did not realize the old place had gone through so many changes.

Here is a picture from 1955:
bloomingdale 1955

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 394

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that is how I remember the school looking, note the front, it looks to be two seperate dormers, not one.
I can see that long building in the back.
Torggy could you e-mail me that picture, would appreciate it.
Actually I was surprised not to see something like this in the book.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 63

Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did they tear the school down? Could it have been used for someone's home or something like that?

LWM - I am still waiting to hear from my friend about the road behind CV and what's going on back there. I was going to drive down there while I was there in May but it was so muddy. I didn't want to get stuck.....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 395

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I drove the bypass around town and the Maple tree's sure have turned color, unreal in just a few days the change.

The old school was too small that is why they tore it down, only three classrooms. They wanted CV to be just a high school, and have the elementry kids in a seperate school. Back then they thought this would work better. Well, schools are going back to combining the grades again, they found it wasn't cost effective, having seperate schools. Look at Two Harbors, they elminated one school totally, and 6-12th are at the new High School. Here they had three seperate schools.

The John A Johnson was closed and sold, here it sits empty for several years now. Someone was going to make apartments out of it, we don't see that happening. The problem is, these schools just sit, and no one goes through with plans, suppose they find it costing too much to renovate them. Again, COST comes into play.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found it interesting the date on the older photo was 1925. My mother and uncles went to school 90 at that same time. It was down by the Mace farm on the Ryan Road. They used to walk up there from our homestead on the shore. That had to be nasty in midwinter. Then there was the school in palmers. I guess there were more of them because transportation would have been an issue.

Hey Madd Maxx, I played the golf course down in Hinckley just before I left-very nice, but I thought it was a bit pricey for that area. It is one of the nicer courses back there.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I should have mentioned I was talking about Bloomingdale!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 398

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"THE PAST AND PRESENT", on the back of the map in the book.

Bloomingdale 1923-1961. 2053 Shilhon Road also known as #93, four room building with teacherage upstairs replaced earlier Hill School(1908-1916)one room, and #93 three room(1916-1923) burned.

So what I am understanding here, is that picture of the OLD BLOOMINGDALE SCHOOL, burnt down, and LWM Original #90 on the Mace property where your parents went must have been after the school burnt down. (your mother and uncles)
So, maybe my uncles were right about the Bloomingdale being built in the 30's?! I can't find any data on this though. But the dates 1923-1961 are very confusing here, think about it!!!
Actually I should have looked at the back of the map, instead of just looking for facts in the book.
Interesting though, that they built it to look like the one that burnt down isn't it!

(Message edited by Blondie on September 20, 2007)

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM so you played Grand National? Some of the course are a little pricy. It is still good to play a round since it is good experience. You must of passed many courses on the drive home. It is good that you had no problems on the trip back.

As for the trees that are changing. I have been out in the woods after my rounds of golf. The maples were just starting to change. I did find one location that would make a great photo if the trees and lighting are just right. Next trip deep into the woods I will have my camera and try to get this shot. Everything s pretty dry but with the rain should bring some relief to the dry conditions. Even this morning the lighting is flashing outside. I like to watch such weather.

torggy

Post Number: 948

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marilyn Janice Beckwith, 74, formerly of Babbitt passed away peacefully in her Mesa, Ariz., home due to complications from cancer on Sept 18, 2007. She put up a courageous fight and was never a complainer, however the lord said it was time to join him. She was born on Dec. 22, 1932 to Henry and Agnes Peterson in Duluth. Her childhood years were spent in Palmers where her dad was in charge of a Section House for DM&IR Railroad. After graduation from Clover Valley High she worked in Rockford, Ill., living with her sister Carol. Marilyn married Charles 'Bud' Beckwith in Colorado Springs, Colo., on March 19, 1952, and after his discharge from the Army they moved back to northern Minnesota. She enjoyed fishing, camping, gardening and making homemade bread and jam in her younger years, she also enjoyed playing the accordion. They moved to Babbitt in 1955 and in 1987 they left to explore North America in their RV. In 1995, Marilyn and Bud settled in Mesa, Ariz., and found she enjoyed watching her Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team around their continued travels. She was preceded in death by her parents, Henry Peterson in 1966; and her mother, Agnes Bakke in 1992; grandson, Shawn Forest Akkanen in 1980; sister, Carol Wiederholt in October, 2003; and brother, Kenny Peterson on Aug. 19, 2007. She is survived by her husband, Charles 'Bud' Beckwith of Mesa, Ariz.; son, Doug (Ruth) Beckwith of Saginaw, Minn., and their children, Astrid, Erik, Cyrus and Luke; son, Dan (Trudace) Beckwith of Duluth, and their children, Brant, Carrissa and Tanner; daughter, Diane (Jerry) Latimer of Britt, Minn., and children, Questa (John) Knapper and their children, Daniel and Johanna, Nathanial Mitchell and his son, Christian; son, Dean Beckwith of Embarrass, Minn.; and daughter, Denise (Leo) Pusateri and children, Dustin (Stephanie) Vickmark, Darrin Vickmark, Douglas Vickmark, Jackson Barnes, and step-son Leo Pusateri III; her 'nearly human' dog and walking companion 'Little Bit'. The family would like to thank May Rossetti of Thunder Bay, Ontario for her lifelong friendship and her help during these past years. In addition, the staff at the Hospice of the Valley, Mesa, Ariz., for all their love and support. Memorials are preferred to be shared with Hospice of the Valley, East Office, 777 W. Southern Avenue, Suite 301, Bldg. C., Mesa, AZ 85210-5062.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 9/21/2007.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that older photo of Bloomingdale showed a wood frame building which would be the one that burned. I didn't think it was the same Bloomingdale that we went to. The dormers were different. The later Bloomingdale had different dormers and was a stucco building with brick trim. Puzzle solved!!!!

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi LWM - I just received an e-mail from a friend who lives near the CV school and she said the Brucklemyers are going to put up some kind of townhouses in the back of the old school. Is that what you heard as well?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I didn't hear anything but it would make sense. The road is bigger than a driveway.I have also heard that there is going to be senior housing on the corner of the Ryan and Lismore Roads. Just below North Shore School.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been going out in the woods this fall in preparing for the up coming hunting season. Here is a pond that is north of the Hegberg road. Another nice day for such a trip.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36

Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here ia another photo from today's trip.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice pictures!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 400

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got home from spending 7 days in Branson, Mo, at a beautiful time share place, called Holiday Hills. (free trip thanks to our good friend, who went with us). Our little apartment was beautiful, with a fireplace in the corner, our bedroom was huge, and huge bathroom, full kitchen, dining room and patio.

We saw Shoji who was fantastic performer, we had second row seats, and he was right in front of us, so hope I got a good picture. Also took in Andy Williams and Charo...she was great and for 79 Andy still can belt out songs, he is slower, but still singing. After the show we went over to his restaurant, and low and behold who came in, Charo and Andy. We all shook Andy's hand!!

Saw Mel Tillis and he is 75 and still good, funny, we cracked up over some of his jokes.

Saw Fabian, and he signed our picture for me, he is 64, and Bobby Vee, Brian Hyland at Dick Clarks theater. What a rocking show this was, all seniors in the audience and not many sitting still. Excellent program and better yet having Fabian only a few feet in front of me, actually he grabbed my picture first and signed it!!!
Our last day in Branson was Friday, so we took in three shows, with Fabian, Bobby Vee, and Brian Hyland being the last show, and I must say the best, what a way to end a fantastic trip. It was hot down there, a little too hot a couple days though.

We took in many shows, and we enjoyed all, but some stood out more than others.

We stayed three nights in Peoria, Il with a friend. Leaves were starting to turn down there and some beautiful colors down near the Wisconin Dells. Many leaves have fallen along 53 in Wisconsin, which was a surprise, as when we went down just a few were colored, now many were bare, but yet again, many were just turning also.
I have rolls of pictures to develop now....I said on this trip, this is it, getting a digital camera, tired of the film thing.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 401

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just happened on this article in our local paper. Also click on the little icons under related topics.
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/articles/index.cfm?id=15946&section=homepage

torggy

Post Number: 953

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Thanks for the link Blondie. That is the back of my Dad's bald head right in the middle of the first picture. It has been a great group and my parents always look forward to going.

Glad you had so much fun in Branson. Still trying to get my mind around Andy Williams and Charo strolling into a resturant together. I bet Fabian was better for you than your husband

That would be a great drive this time of year.

torggy

Post Number: 954

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max those are great pictures. Makes my shoulder itch for a shotgun and on old tote road during grouse season just looking at them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 402

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, actually my husband rated the Dick Clark show with Fabian as the best show we saw. He really enjoyed it. Me, I couldn't sit still!!! I love rock n roll.

Charo had said during the performance that she planned to go to the restaurant, and sure enough she did. She is really a petite person, she left before we had a chance to greet her. She certainly can play guitar!!!!

Oh, we went to the Legends show earlier the same day we saw Fabian. The gal that impersonated Whitney Houston looked just like her, and sang just like her. Johnny Cash guy sounded like him, but really didn't look like him, he looked more like Elvis. Elvis impersonator, was awesome, both in his looks and he sounded exactly like him, us seniors yelled loud....me, I left with a sore throat I yelled so much!!!! We took in lots of 50's and 60's shows, all were so good.

Oh at Dick Clark Theater, there is a museum in the basement of 1957 cars. Now there were some beautiful cars in those days, the chrome, wow!!! The heaviest one we saw was a purple Cadillac, that weighed almost 5,000 pounds!! Saw a couple cars with Minnesota license plates on them. They had cars set up in front of a drive in theater screen, neat. Very interesting. Just a couple cars had a sign on them, not restored, but all others were restored. One guy owns the whole works and is looking for 1950's memorabilia to add to this museum.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 403

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, I keep thinking about your pictures....and in my mind I am seeing mallard ducks or a big moose in them.....guess I should take up painting again, as I sold paintings just like your pictures, with wildlife in them, mallard ducks and a moose. I get the itch to paint.

LWM....uncle H called this morning, actually he had tried to get ahold of me while we were gone. He clarified, that the "old picture" of Bloomingdale, did burn down, and it was rebuilt. He talked to someone.

I mentioned that your mother and her siblings went to a school on the Mace road, and he said, that school burnt down also.

He talked about Ben Gustafson and Adolf Sundstrom working at the Fish Hatchery, apparently the first ones to work there. I thought he said it was built in 1920, but I could be wrong. He said they were quite young.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I knew Howard would find the info. Adolph Sundstrom was my Granddad and I used to go with him to the hatchery on weekends to check on the fish, etc. He was indeed the second one hired there behind Ben.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 404

Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, uncle H just called, and told me to go into the book...."roots of the past" and read page 131.
I will just make a brief thing about what is written for those who do not have the book.

It is about Oscar Rahkila, from Finland, who came to Duluth in Sept 1907. He met a woman who also was from Finland, name Hilja, and they married in 1912. They had one daughter named Irja. Oscar bought 20 acres of forested land in French River. He built a small house on the land. He discovered after the Berquist Road was constructed, that the house was at an angle to the road, but a few years later, he remodeled the house and built a basement, and corrected his error.

There was Americanization classes, which were held at the school and taught by local Teachers. Hilja, his wife took advantage of these classes while Oscar was away at camp during the winter time(lumber camps).Home for the teachers at that time was a temporary apartment at the Heino home because the original school 93 with its teacherage had burned down the fall of 1922. School was held in the store building, which is now Nolte's store!!!!

Uncle H also said there used to be a dance hall above Nolte's store...I have been up there many times, and it is hard to see or imagine, but I am sure it was there. Uncle H said the same thing.

Oscar and Hilja Rahkila, only had one child, but they had several foster children...the last one being Helen Silander Hendrickson!!!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, interesting! I need to dig my book out and reread it again. Thanks for the research!!!!Nolte's store was built of logs, been told that by more than one person. A dance hall upstairs, eh?!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 405

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uncle H called this morning...he said he has read "Roots of the Past" many times, but each time he finds something new. This time it was on page 141, Sam and Elsie Saari, by their daughter Elsie Saari Williams. I knew her well, and did not know she went to Clover Valley. She passed away some years back.

She wrote that "We started school at the orginial 92, which was located on the property now owned by Berry's. The first school bus we rode in was a homemade wooden box built on the back of a truck. It was made and driven by the Fees who lived at Paradise Lake, or Fox Farm Lake, as it was known then. There was a small wooden stove in the bus to warm us when it was cold, and we always saved a piece of bread from our lunch to toast on top of that stove to eat on the way home. The bus wasn't in operation very long, so we were back to using our own two feet to get us to school and back.

Uncle H said the school was located just south of the present CV, on the right hand side as you head south, the first road. He said Berry's don't live there anymore, someone else does.

LWM for myself, I have skimmed through the book, but there certainly is some interesting reading in it.

Yes, I am sure the orginial part of Nolte's was logs, but the added on part wasn't. Back in those days, they had dance places where they could, fields, where not, so really this does not surprise me.

Who would think our little community up there was full of such interesting history, but it is.
LWM, did you get my e-mail? Not sure if I had the right address.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The weather is not going to be what I need to get some good fall photos. Rain is in the forcast for the next several days. I am sure the leaves will fall and I will have to wait a year to try to get some more photos. Here is another photo from my trip out into the woods. A old stand where a hunter could sit and freeze during the rut. So many stands out in the woods across northern reaches of the Valley.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember going the Williams. They were building their new house while living in the big garage. It was fun to go there. The rooms were madeby hanging blankets. She was a very fun person. They lived on the Stanley Rd?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 406

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, they did live on the Stanley Road, both are gone now though.
I got to know Elsie, when both of us were in the Art Club here in town.

Nice picture Maxx. Kind of reminds me of our property up the Drummond Line.

The motels were full this morning, traffic bad in town all weekend long. I am sure many were up for the fall colors, but it was foggy yesterday, and this morning. Fog has lifted finally, but most people have to head home now.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, didn't get your email. Just a reminder, I had to eliminate one "r" from my name because the email address was too long-If that makes sense!? Boon has it in case you can't get it to work.

Beautiful day out here in CA. Played golf with our Sons in Retirement Club this am-wild turkeys all over the place!

scotty
Rookie Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to all from CV. I am new to this, this is my first post ever to any board. Scold me when I do wrong, guide me to do right... People here may not know who I am because I am a lot younger than most, Torggy thinks I was way too young to be a true CV Cavalier, but let me tell you a few things I think about, I do remember the CV school as the one place I called "my school", I only went there for two years, "73" and "74" 7th and 8th grade and they were definatley memorable. Some of the things I remember was the school pride, busting all around the school with posters and banners everywhere. We always kept a sheet at the store with the game scores, we would hoot and holler when we won and marked it down. We were of course the "little kids" there but even then the memories were instilled far deeper that any thing I remembered from TH. Some of the teachers like (parden the spelling)Mrs. Pokorney, best library teacher, Mr. Highland, Mr G, (he left some of my DNA in the building as he bounced me down the hall lockers),Mr. Borgan went over to North Shore when Mr. Moe came from TH, Mr. Swanstrom always just "coach", he went on to TH and taught me more than I think he would even belive. Wasn't Mr. Johnson a science teacher? I remember the little hide out room next to the science room. Yes, I remember even in my day the teachers lounge with the blue haze, I think that room still stunk many years after it closed. Remember the old bomb shelter out in the woods?
I have read through some of the other posts and so this may or may not make sense but, Noltes store was definatley built of logs because Mike Wiseman (Remember Mrs. Wiseman, I think used to be the cook?) Mike's her youngest son, bought the store and did a huge remodeling job to turn it into a house and store and boy was he cussing about re-wireing and putting plumbing thru those walls... I have heard the Nesgodas names a few times, I grew up with all of them. At the last I knew (things could have changed but I doubt it) Larry still lives a few houses east of the family home and yes I belive I have seen him with snoosh a smoke and a toothpick at the same time, Noddy married Andy Anderson a couple years ago and put up a new house at the old place, Gary "Gronk" lives at the old Berry place just up from the school towards the CV store, happy as ever even though he has gone through some very tough times, always a big smile on his face.I remember going to the store at lunch with just enough time if you walked a pretty good clip, then we built a go-cart in shop class we had 10 minutes to spare (not a very fast go-cart). My parents owned that store from "69" to about "75". I seen somewhere that it's gone?
I have not been back there for 2-3 years but I sure can close my eyes and see it like yesterday. After the fire at the school I was back that summer and picked up a brick from the wall, it is one of my prized possessions. Yes Torggy, I may be a young Cavalier, but I am a real Cavalier at heart. I will not write often,(time thing) but will be here again to share my thoughts, I have some knowledge of the 70's in CV if you have any questions just ask me, worst I can say is is "I don't know" Now I will try and make this go there, gulp.....and no I don't know how to do the spell check sooo....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 410

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

welcome aboard Scotty. I have no idea what a true CV Cavalier is, I am assuming Torggy means some of us, that went there for many years, but if you went to CV, your still a Cavalier.

This is news to me, there was an old bomb shelter out in the woods? I am sure the boys knew more about that, than us girls for sure.

question, is Wiseman the one that lives at Nolte's store now? Also, the add on part, was that also logs?

So, your parents owned CV store at one time? The building is still there, it is just a private home now. I had read in one of the posts it was gone also, and I thought the building was gone, but we took a drive by it, when I did the walk around CV this summer, and it is still there, like I say private home though.

torggy

Post Number: 955

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty, welcome and great job for your first time. Your obvious knowledge of CV lore proves your time spent at the old school.

I was only questioning the timing of what years you went where. Its hard to tell sometimes with the last couple of classes.

That was on old root cellar. We used to keep the beer cool there till after the football game. I can remember running in there in full uniform straight from the game to guzzle a quick beer before hitting the showers. Our coach Mr. Salo even attended once.

Gronk!? What a great guy! One time in the back of the bus on the way to a game we talked him into eating a cigarette. He was to sick to play for most of the game. Coach was really mad at us for talking him into it.

I know I have posted this picture before but it seems a good time to do it again.
CV store

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Scott to this little piece of the Valley. I hope you go back and read some of the threads. I also invite you to go to the thread of remembering your first day at Clover Valley. Share this web page with others. Like the others who check the pages, I am looking forward to other stories of the "Olden Days"

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maxx, I enjoy your pictures, they make me long for the northwoods...if you get a chance sometime could you take some pics of the lake when she's really howling...I hate to tell you what to do but I love looking at the lake when it's really rolling.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture for you, Skipper....

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the Clover Valley Store at the end of Homestead Road just past the school?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 411

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes boon, the store was at the end of the Homestead Rd.

I don't like that picture....only because it looks so darn cold!! Nice picture of the waves splashing though. I have taken oodles of pictures of the lake over the years myself.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It WAS cold - so cold that I didn't get out of my car. Rolled the window down and patiently waited for just the right time to take this. Took three shots before I actually got the waves. My fingers and face were frozen by the time I finally was satisfied with the shot.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your willingness to risk frozen face and fingers are much appreciated!

torggy

Post Number: 956

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome stuff guys!! Love the lake picture. Thanks!

This thread has reached its end just like summer has.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration