Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Fall into the Valley < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

madd_maxx
Regular Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I will start a new thread. Sometimes it is diffcult to think up names or titles. Any one with email, needed to think up a name. Since our season has changed I only feel that this name is fitting. How many of us students spent time day dreaming out the windows of Clover Valley waiting to get out and enjoy the fall day. OK, I was going to football and having "Coach Swanstrom" work my butt off. Even being there for so many of those losing games, I still have fond memories out on the field.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 412

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you started a new thread Maxx. The other one was taking forever to come up.
I think it was skipper that asked for pictures of the lake?
Go into Weather Underground, and put in Duluth, and on the left side, you can view some beautiful pictures. Sure there must be some of the lake. Don't forget about Northern Images Photography.

OKAY guys, where was the cellar located at the school?

Just thinking back to Scotty's post and about being roughed up by teachers. Now days, that would never happen! If it did, there certainly would be a lawsuit slapped on the school and teacher.

When does deer season start? Our house was always headquarters for hunters for years. My dad used to come up every weekend of hunting season, and many times bring friends with. Sometimes they would stay up to my grandfathers berry farm up in Clover Valley area. It was on the Nappa Road, think that is what it is called.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wasn't the cellar across from the Home Ec room? It was some kind of shelter. My sister knows more on this subject. It was a favorite place to skip class.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 413

Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that is new to me. I never skipped a class, just plain skipped school if I didn't feel like going. Funny how I could get sick!!! Gosh if I had known it was near the Home Ec room, Gazzett would not have seen me in class often.
LWM, how about the guys you went to school with, did they/you frequent this cellar/shelter?

Who is this Gonk person or what ever his name is that lives on the old Berry place? My uncle could not remember who the family was that lived there.

We had sun, sure late afternoon. Bemidji got snow also, this does not sound good. Now they are saying a cold winter, before it was a warm winter with lots of snow. They can't make up their mind.

Someone mentioned they don't have spell check. I have Google Toolbar, and it does have spell check.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I remember that root cellar. It was off the home ec. room in the woods toward the creek. If you followed that creek down a ways there was a sizeable beaver dam. We caught some 4 to 5 lb rainbows in there with our hands. If you continued walking toward Lake Superior there were some rather large cliffs back there. I think they could be accessed off the road that went down by Winters. Cindy probably roamed that area as a youngster.

When I first went to CV there was a band stand and an old corral/barn which set just at the west end of the football field. It was my understanding they had fairs or 4H activities. The bandstand was quite high. The steps were gone so we were never able to get up on it. It would have been 1951-52 if I recall correctly.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 414

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting LWM. I have no recollection of any bandstand or buildings, but then I started up to CV around 54 or 55, and possible they were gone, or I just didn't pay any attention to them.

Darn cold out there this morning.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The trails were by Karl Schmidts old house. Bruce Larson had a place up there in the seventies. It was by the cliffs. I dont know if anyone remembers Karl. He had no electric or plumbing. Walked everywhere.

perry
Rookie Poster
Username: perry

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cindy,
I remember Karl Schmidt of course. I remember when he had two draft horses, but in later years he couldn't take care of them anymore, and had to get rid of them. Karl was nearly deaf, and he lived a spare and simple life alone in his shack, cut maple firewood with a bow saw, and just wanted to be buried on is land. He had even dug his grave, and had directions posted inside for whoever found his body. That didn't work out in the end. Karl lived to an advanced age in his home, and then was moved into the county home. My dad and I hauled his firewood in from the woods for him some years, and I think your dad did this too.

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, thanks for the heads up on the Northern Images site, there was a neat picture of a bunch of agates together that we now have as a screen saver...

scotty
Rookie Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I guess I have a bit to learn about this computer. I wrote a nice long thought provoking paragraph last night, sent it into cyberspace where it must still be floating around.... forever.
I give you the first and last sentence and will fill in the middle later when I get time.
I think there were 2 Bomb shelters at CV, (Yes they were Bomb shelters because to a little kid that sounded way more dangerous and mysterious, thats what we were told, "stay out of there there could be Bombs left in there".) Any way the second one was a little farther away and closer to the creek, it was really caved in even when I was real little. My last sentance was "I think I ramble on too much about things". That was the easy one, wait till I'm back next time.
Cindy, do you mean at the Ted Larson cabin down where Winters used to live? I don't remember Karl, I remember Eddie Elickson (I think was the name) lived the same life down by Mattsons and Nilo's. Before I forget though, Torggy, your avitar(?), If you or whoever would have been there an hour or two later it would have been in different hands I think, we walked in there and said "WOW, THERE GONE". I was shocked and SO GLAD to see it. Later

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 958

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A bandstand behind the school!? Cliffs!? I guess I led to sheltered a life. Just where are these cliffs at? Wonder if there are any pictures of that old bandstand?

Perry, good to hear from you. Great story. Hey, there used to be a dead end road just in front of your place and there was on old bachelor that lived down there. What was his name? My dad used to log the forty next to his place. It was just him and his cat in a little house next to the burned out remains of a larger house. Something about his wife dieing in the fire?

Funny story about him. He owned one plate, one fork, one spoon and one old, crusty, cast iron frying pan. He would cook his meal in that frying pan and sit down to the table and eat on his one plate. When he finished he left the plate there till the cat licked it clean. He would then turn it over so it "didn't get any dust on it".

Scotty, sorry ya lost your post to cyberspace. I have noticed that sometimes when you hit the "Post this message" button it does not actually post the message and returns to the same page and you have to hit the same button for a second time to actually post the message. Must be some kind of clitch in the software. Love your posts, hope this helps. Look forward to hearing more from you.

torggy

Post Number: 959

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yea, one more thing. I have bigger pictures of the "Cavalier" if anyone wants. Just let me know and I well send ya one. There was one on each side of the stage and both are still close to the valley and in the hands of CV'ers.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Scott, you can write a word doc and cut and paste here. Then if you lose it and retry. Plus you can use spell check of the program. I will do that while writing a story like the streak or some of my other longer postings.

As for getting stuff just before the school closed. I was not successful in that department. I do know that some people tried to use the planer on a railroad tie. The shop was very smokey from that. I am sure some people got a few things from the old school.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember old Karl Schmidt coming by Bloomingdale with two draft horses pulling his wagon.

I think the old guy you are referring to Torggy, is MR. Simpson. He worked on the railroad with Rud Gustafson, Paul Johnson, and Helge Jackson.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Bomb Shelter. I believe this were the song "Give A Cheer" was formed when several students found a keg of beer in the branch of the Knife River to the north of this area. As the story goes. 3 students skipping class hid by the river and came across of keg of PBR. They hauled to the bomb shelter and tap the keg and began to consume. The teachers called for a search of the school grounds. While the students were becoming intoxicated the words started to flow like the beer. Give a cheer give cheer for the boy who get the beer, in the cellar of CV High..... I posted the song some time ago on another thread.

This to the north of the lunchroom. This photo was taken on the last day of school for Clover Valley. I forget who the Horse is. No animals were injured during the taking of this photo. I have some others I will post in the near future.

perry
Rookie Poster
Username: perry

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

scotty, Eddie Elickson did not live the same life as Karl Schmidt. Eddie was a heavy drinker, and was usually focused on getting his next bottle of White Port. He worked in the woods sometimes with my dad or my uncle Ray, but had hurt himself pretty badly with drink. Karl Schmidt was a sober and very religious man, reading the bible and never speaking ill of anyone, that I know of.

torggy, I don't know who you're writing about. James Simpson lived alone at the end of the road just to the south, and then east, from our place. He was a pretty quiet guy, he had a clean house, nice yard, no burned out remains of another house, and no cat. He had us to dinner a couple of times, and he had enough plates and silverware to go around. Mr. Simpson had worked on the railroad, but the earliest I remember, he was off the job already, eventually retired, lived in CV for quite a few years, and later moved to a Sr Center in Two Harbors. And in the other direction, to the west, no bachelor as you described. I moved out in 1971. Is it possible you're writing about someon who moved in after that?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 415

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That name Elickson rings a bell, Diane Elickson, was she a daughter?

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking back through the old post. Here is the words to the song Give a Cheer. Funny how much reading is out on the old threads.

Posted on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 7:32 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an old song that was sung in the school old fight song tune. I am not sure where it started but most knew the song.

GIVE A CHEER

Give a cheer, give a cheer,
for the boys who get the beer
in the cellars of Old CV High,
They are brave, they are bold, for the liquor they can hold,
in the cellars of Old CV High.
For it's guzzle guzzle guzzle,
as we drink it from the muzzle,
roll out another keg of beer,
MORE BEER,
for the teachers don't care,
'cause they get their equal share,
in the cellars of Old CV High.
ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR (insert teachers name)
WANT SOME MORE???

How many remember this old song?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Diane Elickson was Einer (Duke)Elickson's daughter. Eddie was a brother to Duke. Mrs. Beck and Mrs. Nynas were Duke's sisters. Duke was a hard working logger, and a nice guy. Saw Diane a year or so ago, she lives in Pennsylvania. Her sister Gloria lives in Cloquet, I believe.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx - I remember this song. We used to sing it on Nilo's bus.

Give a cheer, give a cheer to the kids that drink the beer in the back seat of Nilo's bus, etc. Sometimes we'd sing: If Mr. Hill should appear we will offer him a beer...in the back seat of Nilo's bus.

Nilo didn't seem to mind the song.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many of you former Cavaliers use to go out and count wildlife? Groups of students would be brought to a section of woods to walk thru to scare up the animals so somebody could count how many deer, grouse or what ever would leave the area. I never got to do this but I know this did happen. Any good stories here for you to share?

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Scotty, those beat downs by Mr. G happen mostly through out the 70ies. I too suffered that fate but during my beat down Hot Rod would always tell Mr. G "If you do that to me I will sue you" Mr. G turn towards Hot Rod and began to beat him down. I know what I did was not grounds for a Mr. G beat down but I guess he was having a bad day. I was stuck in the middle of two gals who would use me to pass notes and I decided to read what they were writing. One of them oomplain out loud. Mr. G he is reading our notes. What happen to the old days when a teacher would make the person read the note out loud for the whole class. I don't remember what the note said, just the beat down by Mr. G until Hot Rod spoke up. Oh hell according to Mr. G all of us were nothing but 'Club foot yard apes"

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 416

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talked to Uncle H, and asked him about teachers in his days, back in the 40's. Oh yes, they would beat the boys. Mr. Johnson would come and snap your ear, and about take it off!!! He asked me if we had Hockey when I went to school, no. Well back in the very late 40's, he played both Hockey and Basketball...how, well, think about it, not many kids. The reason for the Hockey, some brothers moved from town, and they played Hockey in town, so basically it started because of them. In the year book back then, there is no mention of Hockey, sure it was short lived. There was a female teacher that had a fancy car, and used to drive basketball players to games...she smoked, so she took smokers in her car...uncle got to ride in what he thought back then was a limo!!!

I also asked Uncle H about "root cellars" being at the school or "bomb shelters". There was no root cellars when he went to school. He said if there was any, it was after he left school. I asked one of my male classmates if he remembers them, NO. Trying to get ahold of another classmate to see what he remembers. Interesting though.

Uncle H reminded me that my dad worked on the building of the new school addition, I had forgotten about it, but as soon as he said it, I did remember that. It must have been between working the railroad.

He also told me about Glacier Lake Superior, going all the way up to his house on the Shilhon Road. He suggested we go down to the depot here in town, as Todd Lindahl has put a together a display of how the far the Glacier went. He said it is really interesting.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told that when Karl got to the home they had to cut his socks off. Instead of changing them he would just put another pair over the others. They ended up growing into his skin. He was a great guy with lots of stories.

scotty
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the comparison with Eddie and Carl, It wasn't meant as a carecter comparison just a single man living in CV. I knew Eddie that way also. There was an indivduale that lived up by the start of the fox farm road just east of the "T" towards TH, as kids we knew of him as a shellshock victum of probably WW2, anyone know who that would have been?
So I come over her this morning and thought Hey I'll write somthing but then end up reading so much I have come up with way more questions...This takes a lot of time. I haven't laughed so hard in a while, I remember singing the CV beer song and knew it word for word pretty much and I was only there 2 years, what an impreshanable age. I explained to Torggy my computer is at work so I don't spend much time this way, typing and reading, but I will probably visit for years. I am a long way from a computer operator so when madd maxx said "cut and paste" I said, yep next time my son is here I might get to that... My misspellings (I did go to TH also) come up redlined so if I knew which thing to push I'm sure it would do it.
Anyways, I also remember Jim Simpson well, super nice guy, he came into the store, my dad bought his old JD tractor and impliments , that tractor looked like the day it came from the dealer. Three cylinder diesal, nice sized tractor for around there, just shined. I'll bet it's still around there, I don't remember who dad sold it to. Is there much farming going on around CV now? I was going to mention how lucky (In case you didn't remember) you are to live close to that beautiful lake, smile at it next time you drive by it for me. Some friends were out last summer and brought some smoked salmon and sisco's, didn't eat much ele's at that BBQ. I think the fish came from Louies in TH, Do you remember when Louie had the fish operation in the school. Gutted and cleaned fish in the shop and cleaned eggs in the boys locker room. Any of you there during that? The picture Torggy has of the CV store, do you/anyone know what year that's from? I better get to my "Before snow" list, later...

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK Skipper, on the 9th you asked for some pictures of the lake while she is really howling. There was a pretty good chop to the lake today when I took a drive up the shore. When the waves kick up on the lake and near shore has the reddish color from the clay being washed into the water and the dark blues and greens of the deep water way off shore. It is always difficult to truly capture the mood of the lake with a camera.

I took several photos but I didn't have my good camera with. I can't be as fancy as I would like. It was mostly cloudy and I was not sure how any of the photos would turn out. I will be doing several post over the next several days of my snap shots.

This photo was taken at the way side rest just past where Greenwood Road meets the shore.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot! that's a really nice picture.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CNN must read this site, I was watching this morning and they showed the rough surf of Lake Superior...compliments of KBJR TV.

scotty
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always love the Lake... And your pictures madd maxx

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Maxx, I set your Lake Superior picture as my background. It's awesome. It looks like a spot on Stoney Point near my parent's house. Thank you so much.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

went to Holmstead resteraunt last nite had dinner with Roberta Highland and her husband Robert they were flying back to Homer Alaska today. Also Daryl Olson landed at 10:30 yesterday from Anchorage so I got to see them both Had a nice time and a good diner

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those who live in the valley, they see all the landmarks on a daily basis. Even living near the area and being able to take a drive through the valley, there is much we can take for granted. For those who have moved out of the area, they just canít pop into the valley and see how things are. How things change is very surprising for me and I take a few trips out to the old stomping grounds. All that road work on Homestead road can be a pain in the butt for the locals. The county crews were putting in black top over the improvements to the culverts. I will take a different road and see more changes during the next trip I am sure.

Here is a photo from Bluebird Landing. The old cement frame just sitting on the shore. Stoney point is in the background.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 511

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anybody else hear the lake sighing? I wish I would have had a camera this morning. The water from the mouth of the Lester was roaring into the big lake and it had carved a path through the water with its force. Very cool. Not sure if I described that very well but...anyway, with all this rain the lake has to be much happier.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 419

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is a good picture Maxx at bluebird landing.

Skipper check out this site, and I am sure as more pictures come in, more will be added.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/photography/includes/gallery.cfm?id=343

Son said his pond went over its bank, first time that has happened.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great pictures, those people must be nuts out there...Tailspin, have you been into Grandpa's cough medicine?

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 512

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps I shouldn't have exceeded the recommended dosage so many times.........

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 420

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

laughing mouse got a good chuckle out of getting into grandpa's cough medicine. I thought of my one grandpa, who had to have Mr. Smiths Black Cough drops, boy if he ran out, watch out everyone!!!!!

Sure with all this rain, like 4 inches in two days time, is what my gauge showed, the lake is happier. If not the lake, the oreboats that had to have lighter loads because the levels were down. Tour boats that couldn't go to Isle Royal because too low. BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH NOW!! RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!

I keep looking to the north and seeing blue sky, but yet the sun just can't seem to make it out here.

(Message edited by Blondie on October 19, 2007)

scotty
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to CV, sounds like a little rain came your way. It seems a strange world of weather the last few years, drought or flood, never average, not the normal. I am out in North Dakota, not so far from there but a lot different weather patterns. I was looking back and thought "Mr. G didn't give beat downs, it was just suggestive teachings, like respect your elders cause there bigger. Some kids may have needed such teachings, some still do, don't get me wrong there are great HUGE numbers of good kids out there but there are 1 or 2 bad apples that have not been taught proper manners such as respect. No answers to the store age in the picture? Takeing advantage of this nice fall weather and working outside today, what a nice fall it has been, meaning no snow yet....

torggy

Post Number: 962

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max, thanks for the great pictures! I know exactly which wayside rest you were at. I love the way you caught the color differance of the water.

Blondie, thanks for the link. I would have missed those pictures otherwise. Your "rain, rain go away" chant isn't working yet I hear. Be glad it is so warm, otherwise it would have all been snow.

The picture of Bluebird landing is great also. Anyone remember it looking like this?
bluebird Landing

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't get time to head out near the shore the other day when the Gale warnings were on for the big lake. Here is a photo on the Fox Farm road. The tamarack were the golden color. I was heading west. The sun was not right too really grab the colors. The weather is not looking to sunny for the next several days. I have seen a few grouse as I made my last several trips. I have spoken with a few hunters and they have taken a few birds. None of the bow hunters I have spoken with have gotten a deer. Not like the city hunt in Duluth.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maxx, that picture reminds me of my youth...a keen eye and an 870 on the truck seat.

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure someone will know this answer. I see that the Hart road is closed. Who use to live back there? The Hart road at the place where the Two Harbors road ends and the App turns into the Fox Farm?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hart's Lake was owned by Milton Hart. Cliff Sundstrom or Jerry Jackson would have background information on him. Torggy, maybe your dad too!

I remember when Bluebird Landing looked like the photo (hate to admit that I'm that ancient)!!!

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where was the Bluebird? If you are on the old road going toward Duluth was it just after LakeView Castle on the corner?

torggy

Post Number: 964

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, not down there Skipper. If you were going towards Duluth on the old road, it was just before Shorecrest, or what ever it is called now. Nokomis(sp) I think.

Remember when boats like this sailed the big lake
bluebird cruiser

I'll ask Dad about that LMW. Thanks! I know Dad was good friends with Melvin Carlson that lived just down the App road from there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 427

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bluebird landing is just past Old Shorecrest(Nokomis now)...heading up the shore, on the lake side naturally.
As I posted this, another post came in about it.

(Message edited by Blondie on October 23, 2007)

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, I guess I don't remember that place, when did it close? What was the place then what I was talking about? Is that a motel?

torggy

Post Number: 965

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure when Bluebird landing closed. Must have been in the early 1960's maybe. Here is an ariel shot. The old Shorecrest would be just out of shot to the left.
bluebird landing ariel shot

Skipper, you might be thinking of the Fishfry resturant and lodge. It was right where the parking lot for the new safe harbor is now at the end of the McQuade road. Had some cabins and a camping area. It looked something like this:
fishfry

It was also the scene of my sister's first job. Care to tell us about the place sis?

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was right across the road from the Stroms. We used to go swimming there after work at Shorewood.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 428

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are several houses across the highway from Bluebird Landing now, and the old mink farm is to the far right, north side of road. Skipper and Gary Lukonen(sp) live across the road. Mary and Curt Nelson also used to live across years back.

Actually the landing is still there, minus the resturant, and dock. But, we still see cars parked there often. People fishing off the shore. I know they used to put boats in there, but not sure if they can still do that or not.

Just to think if that place was still there, what a beautiful view to sit and eat.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, I was thinking of the fish fry, I recognize the fish cut out now, is that place still open?

madd_maxx
Regular Poster

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No the Fish Fry is now the Safe Harbor.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 431

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was sitting here at the computer earlier, and I saw a deer run between our house and next door neighbor. It stopped in our front yard, and kept looking towards the alley, looking very scared. Then it walked away...well not far. I happened to look into our back yard, and there it was laying by our evergreen tree. I was grilling outside, and my husband watched as I slammed the door, the deer got up looked around. So, carefully I came and went. Two hours later, it is still there. I can hardly see it now, but do see the white. It is a young deer like the ones in this picture from last year. This doe and fawns made our yard their home for weeks last fall. No, I couldn't get a picture of the one today, it was too nervous, and I didn't want to scare it off...let it rest.
deer in my yard

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 70

Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful, Blondie....

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was picking my grandson up for school thursday morning and there were two deer laying on his lawn not a care in the world I live up at Laura Lane and the deer are in our yards all of the time pretty neat to watchnext weekend though I'm sure they will be gone till deer season is over don't forget to fall back tonite one hr tonite this is when I get depressed it seems it is dark all of the time

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was picking my grandson up for school thursday morning and there were two deer laying on his lawn not a care in the world I live up at Laura Lane and the deer are in our yards all of the time pretty neat to watch

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 432

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WE DON'T TURN OUR CLOCKS BACK UNTIL NOV 4TH....
they changed it.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Blondie after I said that my daughter called and she said it was next weekend the government is always messing with our minds!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 433

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In todays paper there is a two page "Special Advertising Feature" about the Lighthouse on Homestead. Really nice with several pictures.
Congratulations from all business's involved in the building of it.

It states in there, that it is built where old Palmers School "91" once stood. Well, uncle H called this morning, and he always understood that "91" was across the road, where Ratkovich's lived. I don't know myself.

Oh, it also says the restaurant was fashioned after the design of the Copper Harbor Lighthouse in Michigan.

Seeing this was advertisement, I couldn't find anything on the net for people to view.

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 34

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dove up to Duluth today, pretty nice day for Duluth in November. Just as we got to the lift bridge an ocean vessel went in. After that we walked over to Subway and had lunch, when we came back another ship was coming in, talk about timing. Drove up the shore stopping at Brighton Beach to skip a few rocks, and walk the gravel beach. then on to Stoney Point rd. The view looking back tword Duluth from that road are just fantastic. Then we drove up to Knife river. Looks a little different with all the campers gone from the campground.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51

Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 05:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spending the last 3 days out in the valley. Sitting in the stand that was built many years ago. Making the same trip up the trail. My backpack was heavy with the supplies for the day. Coffee, sandwiches and other snaks. It is funny how we use the same routine each year after year. After getting to my stand about an hour before shooting time, I have have a cup of coffee and treat. The quarter moon really lit up the woods. The pre-dawn was really peaceful on Saturday morning.

Not too many shots were heard during the opener. I guess all the deer are still feeding the the fields. I counted over 20 deer along the road on my drive the Homestead road. The weather was very nice. It was hard to stay a wake during the afternoon sun. I had several vistors to my stand deep in the woods. On Saturday, the local pine martin was hunting. He made several trips by my stand. On Sunday several grouse came by to eat and hang around. They milled around for over an hour. Monday the weather was cooler, some light snow flurries fell but didn't stick. The wind was very strong and the trees that my stand is in were rocking very steady. I will have to wait until next week to make that trip in the early morning.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 442

Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Son and buddy are staying up the Hegberg this weekend.
I think they are hunting in the wrong area....as when they came back into TH, they came via Stanley Road, and said they saw deer everywhere, about 40 or more. Now mind you this was early afternoon, and deer were bedding down in the ditches. They couldn't believe their eyes!!

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THERE IS A GREAT ARTICLE IN THE TWO HARBORS CHRONICLE TODAY TOLD BY ROY MATTSON FROM THE HOMESTEAD ROAD. IT GIVES A CLOSE LOOK WHY WE CELEBRATE VETERANS DAY. MARILYN

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 444

Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16131&section=homepage
great story a must read, but I didn't realize he was the homestead mattson

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He had the dairy farm, use to get milk there. Had a daughter, Darlene, in my sister's class.

torggy

Post Number: 968

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh Yea! Place just above the new highway on the left as you head up the Homestead. We used to get milk there too. Darlene was a really nice person.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cindy who is your sister I went to scool with Daelene alsoclass of 67 did your sister go to the reunion?

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spent another day out in my stand off the Hegberg road. The weather has been great but no luck so far this season. Here is my photo attempt of the grouse that were walking by my stand. Like on the opening weekend, the grouse traveled through today. I laugh at seeing four grouse going by my stand and no deer. The snow told me that the deer have walked by my stand while I was not there. Here the photo I took of the grouse. I only had my small camera with me. The big camera is too much weight to drag in while I am hunting.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy and Helen also have a son. Don, class of 61. I see him most every summer. Lives between his dad and Bruce and Patty Lundgren on the Holmstead.Don was career Navy, an officer, Commander or Lt. Commander, I believe. Roy Mattson is a hero, I don't know any other way to put it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 449

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where are they?
I was up to the Hegberg yesterday, visiting.

Stopped at the school, had my camera with this time. I walked down around to the lunch room, and was shocked to see palettes of bricks in there, some had wrapping on them, or torn wrapping that is.

Funny, when I went to school, the lunch room looked so big, but it looked so small now. The home ec room sure was good sized though. I could hear watering running like mad inside somewhere.

I remember Don Mattson very well.

Yes, his dad was a hero, no doubt about that.

(Message edited by Blondie on November 12, 2007)

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 53

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can not see the grouse because of the size and the lack of deep zooming of my pocket camera. I would had highlight the bird but it is too difficult locate the bird. I centered the bird in the photo.

Here is a photo of a deer that I took about two weeks before the season. The deer was standing 3/4 front view facing me. I put an arrow over the deer in the photo. It is hard to see this doe as she was watching me. She was standing behind some brush. With the naked eye the doe was very easy to see but not in the photo. This was taken on top of a rock ridge off the Hegberg. I don't hunt in this area but I just was out for a ride that sunny day.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 450

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes, I can see it. I find that often, I see things with my eye, but once a picture is developed, it doesn't quite look the same.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone give me an idea of where the Hegberg Road is in relationship to Homestead. (I know where THAT is.) I know where Bergquist is, of course. Lismore, Ryan Road, etc. But where is the Hegberg?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 451

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is the first road just south of CV school on the right.
Actually the road goes around, and you come out on the Pioneer Road, and if you go across the pioneer it turns into the McQuade Road.
Boon, I am not sure names of people that live on the corner of the Homestead and Hergberg road that you are familiar with.
Sam's old store was on one corner. Winters on another corner. Does Nyberg ring a bell with you, actually I believe one graduated with you? Cindy probably can help with names.

You have the Roots of the Past don't you. Get out that big map and find CV school, and you should be able to find the Hegberg Road, which was Hagberg years ago.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 452

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1730+Hegberg+Rd,+Duluth,+MN+55804,+USA&sa=X&oi=map &ct=title
Click on this link. The green arrow is the Hegberg Road,(riding stable address is what I put in for searching) the school is just above on the right. Up at the end of the Homestead, and W Knife River Road, was Clover Valley Store.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Blondie. I'm at work right now so don't have the book with me but I'll click on the http you included.

I know Judy Nyberg very well. We graduated together so now I know where you are talking about.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 456

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx, I want to talk camera's.
I still am in the market for a digitial one. We went to Best Buy one day, and there were two that caught my eye, one was a Canon and other Kodak. Although the salesman said Canon was the better of the two.

The Canon if I am not mistaken had a 12x zoom, which would be great for my use. I am really into photography. It had the screen and you could also use the viewfinder. Viewfinder works better for me, as I have had problems viewing screens in different lights in past experiences. The problem was PRICE, it cost $499 and by the time I got my memory card, it would have been pretty expensive. This is more on the line of a regular SLR camera, but yet lighter.

NOW IF IT WOULD ONLY GO ON SALE!!!!!!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Blondie, Cannon makes a good camera.

If the 12x zoom is optical that is great.

Then you want the mega pixels up over 7. That will allow you to blow up photos to 14x18.

I would look at the type of batteries they use. I have a pocket camera that has a nice little rechargable pack and my Sony H-1 use AA rechargable that don't seem to have the same life as a battery pack.

Memory cards is just a fact of life. Once you have one with 1 gig or 2. that will store more photos than you will realize.

Best Buy has a Sony which is better than mine for 299. Model H-3 has 8 mega pixels and 10x zoon lens which is the same as my Canon SLR 35 mm camera for zooming. Office Max has the same camera on sale.

Office Max also has a Kodak model Z712 with a 12x zoom. 7.1 mega pixels for 249.99.

I am sure the day after Thanksgiving there will be more sales. You could get a deal on a last year model. Just play with cameras in the store and see how fast they can shoot and if the LCD screen is too your liking on the back of the camera. No Cannons on sale this week.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 457

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, I looked at so many camera's that day, now I am thinking was it a Sony, no had to be Canon, or was it????? All I know is the type I want has not been on sale with higher mega pixels and good zoom lense and with a view finder. The camera had a tilt LCD screen and the view finder window as I said. Something about the lense was good also.

Oh, the salesman also made it a point about battery life, and the one I liked had a really good battery life.

According to Consumer Reports, they say Nov is a good time to buy, patience will pay off I hope.

I have a Yashica SLR camera, that I have had for years, with different lenses, great for outdoor pictures. The connection for the flash no longer makes contact. Actually I took pictures with that camera of our son's wedding and did an album up for them. I get it out everyonce in awhile to take outdoor pictures, only thing, the counter doesn't work anymore, so I have no idea how many pictures I have taken or left. This camera is the best for close up of flowers, which I love to do. I even used to buy professional film, great quality in pictures. Photography...hobby of mine.

Thanks for your input on this.

Sure we have bored everyone else that reads this!!!

torggy

Post Number: 969

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having owned several digital cameras there are two things I like. One is that it takes regular batteries, ones that you can buy at the corner store. The rechargable ones are always dead at the wrong time. Two, that the camera is ready for the next shot quickly. Standing there waiting for the camera to recycle for 30 seconds to take the next shot is a pain.

The wife bought us a Cannon power shot last Christmas. It is only 6 mega pixels but works for us. It takes AA batteries but could be a little quicker to recover for the next shot. Though the damn thing has so many features that it may be operator error causing the slow recovery.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 461

Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I happened across this ad in today's paper.
vinegar hill

Got a little crooked, oh well.
By the looks of this, it is just before you turn onto the Paul Road(Anderson as I knew it by)
Wonder who owns this.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 55

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see a dusting of snow this morning on my lawn. I have to go to work today so no sitting in my stand until tomorrow morning for the final day of the hunting season.

I went for a walk and hit some of the old railroad spurs off the Hegberg. I have not walked around very much over the last few years and I wanted to see how much things have change. Plus with my GPS and special Topo map I had made I wanted more land marks for the map.

I have been reading the Township newletter story about the Alger line. Running up and down some of these line for grouse in my younger years. I find it interestng to map with my GPS and compare to the map in the book Roots of the Past. I have also ran down a couple of the line off the Fox Farm road this fall. Funny how many sportsmen still use these old grades after all these years. All the old logging camps around the northland and what forgotten stories of life at those times.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ABOUT THE VINEGAR HILL AD, ITS A BRUCKLEMYER, MARK. ITS JUST BEFORE THE HEGBERG ROAD ABOVE THE POINEER ROAD. MUST BE UP WHERE ALL THE CYPERS LIVE. I LIVE A MILE FROM THERE ON SMITH RIVER, I WILL TRY AND CHECK OUT SOON. A EASY WHY TO FIND AN ADDRESS AND MAP IS TO GO TO GOOGLE AND ALL YOU DO IS TYPE IN A PHONE NUMBER, WORKS GREAT. MARILYN

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 463

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yes, that is right on the corner of the Hebgerg Road. They have the TopSoil Business also. We drove in there this summer, beautiful place there. As you come in, there was a building near the road, and I am assuming that is where this shop is. They have a big pond, and on other side of the pond sits their home.
Madd Maxx, you must drive by that place when your hunting up there on the Hegberg Road.

Yes, Allstory check it out. I use Google all the time, putting in phone #'s, but figured with you living in the area, more than likely you would know something about it.

Being off the beaten path, dirt road, I wonder how much business they will get in the shop.

allstory
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY FRIENDS OR NEIGHBORS MENTION IT EITHER, WONDER IF THEY JUST OPENED? IF THEY GET SOME OF THE 900 MEMBERS OF THEIR CHURCH ON RYAN ROAD TO COME THEY SHOULD DO GOOD. MARILYN

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 464

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is that all the members they have, I thought for sure it was much more. I know the neighbors belong to that church.

torggy

Post Number: 970

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Max, love the deer stand stories and pictures. Growing up we had a shack up #2 out of Two Harbors. It was a mile back on an old tote road. There was a old logging camp just across the trail. It still had bunks an intact roof and was a real look into the past, There were remnants of the stable where they kept the horses and an old well. There was an old dump from which we used the old bottles and snuff lids for target practise. To bad we didn't keed some of those. They are worth allot of money now.

We used to walk the old tote roads for miles and in the winter snowmobiled to areas we could not get to any other time of year. All those old roads are gone now and the last I heard the entire area has been logged recently.

There was nothing better than walking a old tote road to the deer stand.

I should clarify about that Cannon Power Shot camera we have. I just saw an ad on tv that showed a power shot as a small pocket sized thing. I guess Cannon makes differant cameras under the name Power Shot because the one on tv did not look at all like the one we have. Sure is hard to keep up on some of these things anymore.

Mother
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

madd_maxx,

I spoke to a forester from Potlach on Tuesday morning on the Hegberg. He was parked across from where you go up to your stand. He was waiting for the St Louis Co foresters so they could work on getting a road to some 40s that Potlach is going to log off on the the north side. They headed up the ATV/loggin road by Gruver's across from our camp. Sounded like they will be logging within the next year. Don't know if they will be over far enough to the east to be near your area where you hunt.

I walked up the logging road and the atv trail to the end, I assume to your stand. I have not been up that road in probably 15-20 years. Grown up some. Saw two deer, but no shots. Also walked the very visible grade that goes to the west and ends at the swamp.

Certainly enjoy hunting the Hegberg again. Have a lot of good hunting memories with dad, grandpa and all the other guys who used to be in our party. Some moved away, some died, and some don't hunt anymore. But some great memories of hunting on the Hegberg.

Good Luck hunting tomorrow

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't ironic, growing up on the Hegberg and don't remember anyone hunting in our family. I remember people asking to hunt there. We had relatives that lived on the very end of it. The Olsens and the Stevenson's lived where the roads has the big bend. House was like a cottage made of logs.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 465

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, my husband is curious as to where your shack was up #2. He walked, hunted the % of the area up there and beyond.

Cindy, I called Uncle H and asked him what he knew of the Olsen's and Swenson's.

Han's Olsen's farm he said was on the left side just past the curve, and he said, people still live there. Han's was a "Deputized Game Warden", not a regular one, but "deputized".

He does not recall Swenson's name at all.

I told him about Vinegar Hill, and the Brucklemeyers. He laughed and said, that name is certainly made up, as that used to be called "Maple Ridge".

In talking he goes, until someone brings up things, he forgets about them, but the memories sure come back. He sometimes calls and askes, what is going on in this forum. On partying, he goes, call me, if anything comes up on the forum.

Too bad he isn't connected to the internet, he could add so much here, so much history as he calls it.

Oh, he was talking about some Sam Hagen who lived behind the Normanna Town Hall. He had a barn, and he convinced him to clean it out so they could hold dances. This was back after he got out of the Navy in 1955. He goes, that sure was fun.

Oh, if we could only bring back some of those good times now!!!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 972

Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, the old shack was five miles past The Big Noise on the left side of the road as you headed toward Ely. Sis has the google picture from space of it I believe. Care to post that link for me Sis? At best she well send it to me and I can post it. She is one of the many lurkers out there.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans and Edith Olsen were relatives of ours. It was George and Ann Stevenson. Stevenson's lived at the curve on the left side. The Olsens were at or near the end of the road before it turns into the Pioneer Rd. The road that Cypers lived on. We used to go swimming at Schwartz pond.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 466

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thread took forever to come up.
Well, my uncle had the right name but the wrong place.

Cypers live on the Upper McQuade, (just south of Brucklemeyers on right hand side>west side of road,>>Vinegar Hill) they got burnt out last year.

Merrits owned this property when I was growing up. Lucille Mattson's parents(Ernie Acres) all are deceased now though.

I remember when I grew up, a cute little home on the left side near the end of the McQuade think the river crossed near here on its way to Lake Superior, and again crossing the Pioneer Road. This home was about a block before the Pioneer Road. There also were two homes on either side of the upper McQuade and Pioneer Junction. Actually all are still there, but naturally remodeled. One of those homes was more than likely Han's Olsen home.
Now where is Scwartz pond?

torggy

Post Number: 973

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When these thread get long and have some pictures it takes time for them to come up. This one is getting long and we well start a new one soon.

Blondie, thanks for the heads-up about this obit. 102! Must be that good life in the Northland!

Ludvik (Lud) Solem, 102, of Duluth died Nov. 14,2007. He was born on Aug. 28,1905 at home in Normanna Township. Normanna had opened up for settlement just ten years earlier and his parents were pioneers Adolph and Mary (Arntsen) Solem. He was the oldest of 17 children. Lud spent his early years working on the family farm and helping his father operate their saw mill. Lud attended the local one room log Johnson school and drove the first bus route. During spring and fall he used a horse drawn wagon and during the winter an enclosed sleigh with a wood heater. On Feb. 16, 1929 Lud married Mayme (Mae) Roveinen, Mae had come to Normanna to teach school. They had a long and happy marriage until her death in 1985. Mae contracted TB early in their marriage and Lud was a devoted caretaker for the rest of their 55 years together. Their son Duane was born in 1940. They were very proud of him, his education, his children, and his career. As a young man Lud worked for St. Louis County, for Zalk Josephs, and as a contract logger and sawmill operator. He worked at Frasier Shipyards during World War II and continued to work there until his retirement, Lud had an incredible range of interests. He was passionate about gardening and maintained two large organic gardens until he was in his late 90s. He had very strong, well informed, political beliefs. At the age of 98 he was an enthusiastic advocate for the policies of Paul Wellstone. He believed in a simple life, hard work, clean fun, and compassion for the less fortunate. In 1929 Lud played on the Normanna Township baseball team when they won the St. Louis County Championship. He enjoyed music and sang for many years with the Ruralaires Chorus. He and Mae were active square dancers. Lud had a wonderful sense of humor and had great fun acting in local plays. After Lud was widowed he met his second wife, Mildred, at meetings of the Duluth Township Homesteaders Club. They were married on November 13,1987 and enjoyed a joyful, loving marriage for 20 years and one day. During the past few difficult years Mildred devoted her energy to caring for Lud and was able to keep him at home until less than one year ago. Lud's worries were never for himself but for her. He loved to have her with him but always made sure she left early enough to be safe at home before dark. Lud was preceded in death by his parents, first wife Mae, eight brothers and five sisters. He is survived by his wife Mildred, son Duane (Judi Knight) of Atlanta, brother Edwin (Jean) of Duluth, sisters Emily Clasby of Boliver, MO and Karen (Ben) Grussendorf of Sitka, AK, grandchildren Zach, Randall, Perry, and Janet, former daughter-in-law Mary Ruth Solem, stepchildren children Ed, Dan, and Karin all of Minneapolis, and over forty nieces and nephews. SERVICE:In accordance with Lud's wishes no service will be held. In lieu of flowers the family suggests to Chris Jensen Health and Rehabilitation Center. a small family gathering will be held at a later date. Arrangements made through the Cremation Society of Minnesota.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 11/18/2007.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 467

Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember hearing of his parents Adolph Solem's, and in my mind I can remember their home even, but not sure I could find it anymore. Karen Solem Grussendorf must have been the youngest of Lud's siblings, as she was one year ahead of me in school.
Actually she was back for the All School Reunion at the Castle, as she sat at the same table as us.

I thought this obit was an interesting read for people, as so much history in it.

cindy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hans and Edith lived on the right side of the Hegberg. Close to where the Hegberg turns into the McQuade. I am not very good with rd. names. Ironic I work for USPS. Swartz pond was on the right side of road after Cypers.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 56

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy it must be time to lock up this web. I am sitting her pondering a name for a new one to start.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration