Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * The Valley is waiting for it's Winter Coat. < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not wanting to depress everyone but the season will soon change and the Valley will get a it's new winter coat.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 58

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The last day of the hunting season was rather quiet. I sat in my stand until later in the morning. I took off for a walk and headed west to take some photos that I will post later.

Mother thanks for the information. It will be interesting on what will be logged out in the next few years. To the west of my stand on one hill side all the birch trees have died. Even up the trails to the north across from your camper, the way they remove veins of the trees they want. This will change the landscape for sure. It was good talking to you the other day.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 468

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I gather no deer for you either.

I can't believe the deer hides that have collected at Al's Bait in town. The box has been overflowing three times. I noted yesterday it was again overflowing. Never have we seen so many hides

to everyone!

(Message edited by Blondie on November 19, 2007)

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took a walk to the west of my stand. I had been a few years since I have been over to the west. There is an old railroad spur that runs southwest to the northeast. The spur ends at a pond. Back in the early 80ies this was clear. I had walked to hunt grouse. The trail would come out just west of the beaver pond on the south side of the Hegberg road. About a mile up the trail there was an old shack.

When I first found it a bear must had ripped the door off. There were claw marks on the side of the shack as high as I could reach. Inside the shack were bunks against the back wall and one window on each side. The door was facing south. I looked into the shack and saw some empty cans of food, some magazines and dishes where inside. I would come by the shack only a few more times.

I returned to the area back in 2003 going for a walk from my deer stand. The railroad spur is all but swallowed up by trees. I came out just to the south of the shack. I flagged the walk over to return to my stand. The front corner was gone. I walked part of the old railroad spur and marked it with my GPS.

This year on the final day of the season, I brought my camera with to take some photos and dig around the remains of this old shack. Here is how it looks as of November 18th, 2007. I found an old pocket calendar from 1979. Some use this shack to keep warm and maybe for work. I know there must be someone out there on the web who knows who used this shack. I will share more of my findings later along with more photos.

hap
Regular Poster
Username: hap

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope y'all have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone please enjoy Thanksgiving.

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are traveling drive safely!

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Turkey Day, everyone! Be Safe!

Maxx, I'm sure enjoying your "travel writing"! The pictures too.Played 18 on Monday (wanted to make you envious)!

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 974

Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!! I am really looking forward to food and football. As long as Dallas gets beat.

Don't know if everyone saw this article on the McQuade Road safe harbor.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=54652&section=homepage

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anyone see the article in the duluth news the other day? Big buck laying on the grass sunning himself he knew he couldn"t be touched cause he was laying in the entrance to the golf coarse pretty cool people stopped on the highway to take pictures thats the way it has been up where I live deer all over they aren't dumb hide out in plain sight no one will touch you!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK LWM getting in a round of 18 would be nice. I will have to wait until next spring.

I am guessing this shack may had been used during some logging in the 70ies. A wooden box contains the remains of a grease gun. I had found a can of starting fluid along with some other empty gas additives containers. There is the top of an old metal tool box. Broken dishes and nails litter the floor. You can see the insulation hanging from the ceiling

You can see the bunks against the back wall and small built in table to the left side. I was standing look in the spot where the door once was. The door was destroyed by a bear in the eighties. Animals have dug out the insulation for their own use. More findings will be share as time allows.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 62

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another view

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 63

Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other side.

Mother
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Max - I am curious as to how far west from your stand was that shack? I remember coming across the remnents of a log cabin on the north side of the Hegberg approximately 20 years ago during deer season. Three walls were still standing, roof was gone. If I remember it was on the edge of a swampy area close to some black spruce?. But that was 20 years ago.

Back in the late 70s early 80s my grandfather and I snowmobiled from my great grandparents house on the Shilhon Road, up to the end of the Berquist, onto an old trail to the gas line, on the Hegberg to 'Laiti's Landing'. We got up on a ridge north of the Hegberg overlooking the valley and roasted some hotdogs. Beautiful view.

If I run across some photos will try and post.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Went out for Black Friday I go out every year get good deals Left @ four in the morning back by 4:30 got my shopping done hate to wait till last minute I don't mind the crowds I have never ran into anyone really rude.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shack it about a 15 minue walk. Several hundred yards. Was that old log cabin up in the area where I hunt? I know where there are some remains of an old log cabin down near a swampy area. I wonder if it the same one that you came across.

The ridge where you roasted your dogs, isn't that to the north where you were camped? The ridge to the north of that area has a great view to the south. That is where I took that deer photo.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 472

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MM nice pictures of the shack, and sure in its day's it served its hunters well.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with son and family and friends. Friday nite we took in the fireworks at Lutsen and talk about beautiful. Naturally there was snow there, as they make it, but I don't know if it was because it was colder that the fireworks crackled more, and did they ever sparkle.
As we went to leave, it was snowing, natural that is, but as we headed down towards the lake, nothing much going on. As we turned onto the highway, there was a big timber wolf walking along the side, rather slowly. Wonder if it ran for its life and was just plain tired with the fireworks echoing through the hills.

Since returning home I have been so busy decorating for Xmas and still not done, but hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

Mother
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old log cabin was up in the area where you hunt, if I recall correctly. I am going to guess that it was he same one you came across. Near a swamp or on the edge of a swampy area sounds familiar.

The ridge is to the north of where we camped. But we accessed it off 'Laiti's Landing', the old logging road to the east of our camp. Hard to spot the old logging road now. It was a great view to the south. We have some photos that my grandpa had taken when we were up there, 1980 or so. I will look for them and see if I can scan them.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mother I was out there today. The old log cabin is in a cedar swamp. It is just off an old railroad spur. The wall are only about 3 to 2 feet tall. I have not gone by this location in a few years. The cedar are very tall and one big tree has blown down with the roots expose. I am guessing the old log cabin you know of may be a different one. I known this location since the early 80ies and there wall were not that tall.

I also took a ride out on top ridge. I have walked part of the old trail. The years have aged the look. I know there are some clear areas of the old trail. I did go in this area also today. I just wanted to take another trip before the snow come.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 473

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My cousin in Finland sent this today, it is a Finnish Calendar. I hope the link here is in English, if not click on English on top of calendar.
You can open up the "first" today, then each day until Xmas.
http://joulukalenteri.positiivarit.fi/english/index.html

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the snow that fell on Saturday it puts a person in the mood to stay put. Years ago staying at home playing board games or cards. Having a hot meal is also good. Here is a plate that I had found in the shack. I wonder how many meals this plate served. The plate would had been retired from the home and used at the shack.

Here is a photo of the top of an old tool box that had rusted away. The tools are long gone but this box held what the guys in the shack needed to work on their equipment.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 476

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy I am taking the liberty and putting in an obit
William "Bill" Lindquist
William 'Bill' Lindquist, passed away Dec. 2, 2007. Bill was born in 1926 in Cloquet, Minn., to William and Suzanna Lindquist. Bill was a World War II Navy veteran who returned to Cloquet High School in the fall of 1946 to finish his senior year. This was where he met Norma Musto who would become his wife on June 11, 1951. He graduated from UMD in 1952 with an Industrial Arts/English major. He worked in the main office of the Northwest Paper Company in Cloquet until 1955 when he took a teaching job at Clover Valley High School in Duluth Township. In 1974 when consolidation took place with Two Harbors, Bill was transferred to the Minnehaha Middle School and taught Industrial Arts and English until his retirement in 1988. After retirement, he and Norma traveled extensively for many years. Bill is preceded in death by his parents; two sisters, Marie and Suzanne; and one brother, Jack. He is survived by his wife, Norma; four daughters, Ann (Robert) Cox of Duluth Township, Jane (Tim) Nitschke of Beaverton, Ore., Margaret (Bret) Torgerson of Duluth, and Yvonne (Mike) Mattson of Aurora, Minn.; and a son, Michael (Teresa) Lindquist of Lincoln, Neb.; 18 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; three sisters; four brothers; and many nieces and nephews. PRIVATE FAMILY SERVICES:will be held at a later date. Services entrusted to Cremation Society of Minnesota 218-624-5200.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 12/4/2007.

Enjoyed the pics MM

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 477

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.legacy.com/duluthsuperior/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=99 032596
If anyone is interested in signing the guest book of Mr. Lindquists.

torggy

Post Number: 979

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie.

Mr. Lindquist

Many who read these pages were in Mr. Lindquist's class. He was an icon of the old CV hallways. Last time I saw him was at my twenty year class reunion. Andy Sternberg had got his hands on a motor home with driver and we toured the Clover Valley area. One of our stops was at Bill and Norma's. They welcomed our surprise visit with open arms and smiling faces. We had a great visit with lots of laughs and old memories.

My condolences to Norma and her family. Mr. Lindquist was well liked by his students and well be missed.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 74

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lindquist knew how to work with the students. He could relate to us and didn't take any guff but he also knew how to always make you feel like you were special (even when you were in trouble). I learned a lot from him. I will miss him very much.

My deepest condolences to Norma and her family.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 478

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Early this morning one of my classmates e-mailed me, did I see the obit in the paper, then another one called me, did you see the obit in the paper.
It is starting to hit me now, that he has passed on. He was my teacher, my son's teacher. I was his older children's babysitter for many years.
The last time I saw Mr. Lindquist was in K-mart in West Duluth. I didn't see him sitting on the bench, all of a sudden someone is saying "Hi". I turned and it was Mr. Lindquist, he had a bad stroke, so his speech was a little off. I felt so bad seeing him like that.
No matter when, it is hard to lose a loved one, but around the holidays, it is harder yet.
Torggy, that is a nice picture of him.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a very good time to post memories of Mr. Lindquist -

Many years ago when Shorecrest was still Shorecrest, my parents took my son and I there for dinner. My neice was very small so it must have been 13 years ago. We sat down and shortly after another group came in and were seated beside us. Dad started to laugh and said, "Hey, Bon, there's Bill Lindquist." I turned around and got up and gave him a great big hug. Norma said to my parents, "I doubt that he'll remember who she is." Ah, but he did indeed remember me. He said to Ryan, "Your mother got into so much trouble sometimes." He was smiling with his dimples showing. It's the last time I saw him. I did write and he replied to my letters before his stroke. He would begin his letters, "Now don't correct my spelling...."

And when Gary Nylen was dancing on his desk during homeroom (Mr. Lindquist hadn't gotten into the room, yet, obviously) he punished us all. We had tried to get Gary off the desk but he refused. We were not upset with Mr. L, we were upset with Gary (which is what Mr. L was hoping). Needless to say, Gary never did that again.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Such sad news today about Bill Lindquist. It has been several months since I last ran into Bill and Norma. My thoughts and prayers are with their family.

Here is a photo of Mr. Lindquist and Mr Granger during a Kangaroo court from the 1962 year book.

(Message edited by Madd_Maxx on December 04, 2007)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 479

Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon that is a good idea, for people to post memories, and you certainly have a good memory. I just have way too many of Mr. Lindquist, but just always remember him picking me up and bringing me home after babysitting. I still can see him, like it was yesterday.
He really had deep dimples didn't he!!! He was the same age as my parents, who passed on.

From the 1960 annual

From the 1961 annual

m_johnson
Regular Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My condolences to Norma Lindquist and family.

Mr. Lindquist will be missed, Bill had a hand in shaping most all of us on this forum in one way or another and was truly a great person. Given all of our addresses, the things he taught us are influencing things we do in our daily lives from Washington State, California, Minnesota, Florida and beyond. It takes a special type of person to be a teacher and Bill was one of the best.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 751

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't it nice that so many of you have good memories of Mr. Lindquist. It says a lot of what kind of man he was.

Bless him and his family and all of his students...

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember having Mr. Lindquist at the Minnehaha for entry level shop class, I didn't know him real well but always thought he was a friendly gent...didn't he have like a character he would do when he would show you how to do something wrong? didn't he call him Dufus or something like that?

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sad day, being new to this forum brought laughs and memories of Mr. Lindquist. I was one of the troublelsome kids to him yet he always forgave and partially forgot what I did. I remember a little VW bug he had that I was suppose to be fixing only it was found out to be sight seeing in Knife River, someone called in to school and asked why Bill was in Knife River and not teaching on a school day, Oppps caught. When he gave you the LOOK..... you knew you better knock it off.
My condolences to the family, he will live on and be remembered in many future conversations of those that knew him.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 481

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Bassman

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who ever used the shack would warm up and get out of the weather. Dishes, tools and reading materials inside the old shack. I found some pages from a magazine. The Alaskan pages were worn and survived the 30 years which most have been spent in the remains of this shack.

I took a photo of an ad for a wood stove.

Here is a page that is part of a hunting story with a picture of a caribou that was shot during an Alaskan hunting trip.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 483

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MM, I had too look up Jim Rearden, staff writer for Alaska magazine, and this is what I found

"Jim Rearden, Alaska's most popular outdoors journalist, recounts his search throughout the Far North for interesting people, places, and events. Did he ever find them! Rearden combines twenty previously published articles into a "best of" collection, interspersed with fresh insights into a changing Alaska. He shares his favorite stories about:

Hilarious and hair-raising episodes of early-day bush pilots
A narrow escape from death on Mount McKinley
Hollywood's humorous and hapless attempt to make a "genuine" Alaska film
A Swedish trapper who spent 57 years alone in the wilderness
Why the wolverine has such a quirky reputation
The secret recovery of a Japanese Zero fighter during WW II
Guarding Alaska's streams from salmon poachers
The author is former outdoors editor of Alaska magazine and was named Alaska's Historian of the Year 1999 by the Alaska Historical Society. He has written twenty-one books about Alaska."

You said 30 years, so what was the date on the magazine?
Intertersting, I wonder who used that shack!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 484

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, uncle H called the other day, talking about the Homestead Road being called something else prior to being named Homestead Road. Do you or anyone else know of another name?
The name he said was "Stiff Line or road" or something like that. I questioned him, why it was called such a strange name, and he said, he heard, due to the steep hike up the road, stiff hike. He told me to post this on the forum.

I haven't gotten out the book, and did ask him if it was in there, he didn't remember, but he said, he remembers reading about it somewhere, but not sure where. I guess he was talking with someone, and this was brought up.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Novmeber 1976 is under the wood stove ad. The latest item of a date was an old pocket calender from 1979. I have a few more photos to come from the old shack

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 183
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember we had a Heat Saver on our burnt orange upside down funnel shaped fire place, the thing was noisier than hell...it was plugged in and when it got a certain temp it would blow the warm air out, I forgot all about having that thing at home...

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 485

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they still publish "Alaska" magazine even? My husband can't find it anywhere, he keeps forgetting to look at Barnes & Noble, if they don't carry it, no one does then.

drummer
Regular Poster
Username: drummer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie, they do publish alaska magazine, i subcribe to it. check out www.alaskamagazine.com

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I do remember as a kid people referring to the Holmstead Road as the "Stiff Line". I'm going to ask my dad if he knows where the name came from. (he's 87 so probably has a recollection).Give Uncle "H" a hello from me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 486

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drummer thanks, will check into this

LWM, good to hear from you again, thought you fell into a sand trap on a golf course!!

See, I had never heard this before, so this was certainly news to me. I said to uncle "H" that I would ask you on the forum, and he said "he will know, and if he doesn't, he certainly will find out".

I certainly will tell him "hello".

I forgot to ask today when I called uncle Bob's house, darn!! He might remember something about it.

allstory
Regular Poster
Username: allstory

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I FINALLY GOT A CHANCE TO RUN UP TO THE VINGER HILL GIFT SHOP ON THE MCQUADE ROAD ON SAT. CUTE LITTLE PLACE, NOT A HUGE AMOUNT OF STUFF THERE, BUT NICE GIFTS, THEY HAD A SALE ON FRIDAY SHE SAID AND HAD LOT OF PEOPLE. THE GIRL AT THE COUNTER WAS A DAUGHTER TO THEASEA VERGITZ (SP?) AND ART MAKI. VERGITZ'S LIVED UP AT END OF RYAN ROAD . THE OWNERS HAVE A HUGE BEAUTIFUL HOUSE THAT SITS BEHIND THE STORE. LIKE TO WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY HOLIDAY AND NEW YEARS. MARILYN

torggy

Post Number: 995

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the update Allstory. Good to hear of a business doing well.

Blondie sent me some pictures of the old school taken this fall. I hope to post a couple over the next few days. In this one the old school looks pretty good.
school from front

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the cold and snow out in the valley, that makes me think about how someone would used the shack. I am guessing they logged the area back in the day. A grease gun is still in side the shack. I also found a empty bottle of Amsoil 100 to 1 oil for mixing with gas. There is a old 5 gallon gas can which is rusty but held the needed fuel to do some work. It was cold the day I took these photos. My camera battery keep dying and I would have to put in my shirt pocket to warm up the camera to take some more photos. I am sure the woods are now silent with the snow on the ground and no human foot traffic.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope everyone has a happy holiday and a fantastic New Year! I am having a lot of trouble with my puter I have vista my son came over today to work on it and he said to get xp? vista is more trouble then its worth will have to wait untill after the holidays.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 492

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you even buy XP anymore? Seems any I have seen all have Vista, and I hear of more people having nothing but problems with Vista. Good Luck!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 493

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM OUR HOUSE TO YOURS

}

Norma Lindquist
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had sent a note before, but it appears that it didn't go through. I just wanted to thank all of you for the lovely tributes to Bill and for the pictures that have been posted. A couple of them I had never seen. I never realized how many lives he had touched over the years of his career. He was always very proud of Clover Valley and his students. Yes, he will be missed----he was a wonderful person.

torggy

Post Number: 1001

Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norma it is very good to hear from you. I wish you and your family the very best this holiday season. Teachers touch many lives and Bill was a teacher to remember. He well have many friends where he has gone.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

heading for Fargo in the A.M. hope the weather cooperates it sounds iffy first time I have ever been able to spend Christmas @ my daughters house hope the roads are good I'll be by myself but I have my cell and my all wheel drive Subaru

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 496

Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a safe drive kathy. One station says it won't be bad until later on Saturday, then another says Winter Storm Warning until 12 tomorrow, so who knows. Guess when we wake up in the morning, it will be the deciding factor on driving.

Around 5 this morning, we heard a plow going out front, so figured we had snow. NOT....guess they must have been plowing the slush while no cars were parked.

Thank goodness for cell phones, I just got one back in Sept. and now I wonder how I ever managed without it!!

torggy

Post Number: 1003

Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jingle bells
Hope all you Cavaliers where ever you may be have a very merry Christmas. Please be careful in your travels. Hope the holiday season is a great time for all of you.

Blondie, I have had a cell phone since 1994 and you are right, I could not get by without one. Also I have a new laptop with Vista in it. Though it does not like some of the older programs it runs and hooks up to Wi Fi type places and cameras very smoothly. It seems to be made more for the future than the past.

Again, MERRY CHRISTMAS one and all!!

(Message edited by Torggy on December 23, 2007)

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got back from Fargo what a trip! I started out with rain here and duluth then started climbing central entrance I go through Procter on #2 as I got into Proctor which ever spelling! It was a wintter wonderland all the way to Fargo the worst was to Walker then it got better then it got worse then better back and forth coming back it was awfull the whole way but made it ok on the way out I look down a ravine for some reason and I spied a smashed car with people in it thought they were goners grabbed my cell and was going to go down the revine when they yelled they were ok they had already calle for a tow truck abunch of people stopped after me but we went on our way thank God for cell phones! My kids bought it for me two Christmas's ago cause they were worried about me going places by myself its a handy thing I haven't had any trouble with my puter lately either I must have been doing something wrong or it decided to behave when I threatened to get rid of it! Have a happy New Year everyone

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen it sounds like your trip across hwy 200 was quite an experience. It has been a few years since I have traveled that road. It is good that you had cell phone coverage. I have made a few long distance trips and drop cell phone signal. I hope everyone had a good Christmas. It is hard to believe that another year is almost finished.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 497

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Administrator, awful colors, please change ours back to the way it was!!!! It just ruins some of the posts that are on here.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 499

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for changing us back to our normal color.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know the feeling. I thought I was taking the color blind test. It was a good attempt to be in the Christmas spirit.

m_johnson
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE NEW YEARS EVE, AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that we are in a warming spell it is a welcome relief from winter. Here are the final photos I took during the last deer season.

The ground is covered with snow. Who ever used the shack liked coffee. Their choice was International Coffee. No Starbucks back in the 70ies. Having to heat up the coffee on the wood burner that heated the shack. Lanterns would be used to light the shack.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 77

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using dishes that were no longer used at home. Finally the cups didn't match the plates. A soup spoon doing double duty of mixing up the coffee and then eating Cambells Soup. Years a go I found an unopened can of Chicken Noodle soup. A free Amsoil pen maybe used to do a crossword puzzle or write notes.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 514

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't you wonder what happened to these hunters, that they stopped hunting there, and who were they? Like your little stories that you have put with the pictures, neat!!

It felt just like spring yesterday, and I certainly got spring fever, but I knew better. Looks to be a little slippery out there this morning though, seeing all that melting froze overnight, and hasn't really warmed up enough yet to melt it again.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure if guys hunting used this shack or guys logging. Maybe some guys who may of been checking the area to up grade the topo maps. Just the supplies that were left behind makes me feel they were loggers. The magazine says hunters. The Jerry Farwell pocket calendar says someone had strong morals. Someone out there does know who used this shack so many years ago

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 523

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting theory here, about logging.
Actually from the pictures, I also wondered about the things that were left behind, what this place was really used for. Maybe, not hunting or loggers!!! Maybe just a get away place for who knows!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 525

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Up the shore they certainly are getting the snow, from Lutsen to Grand Portage. As of this morning 2 feet on the ground and it was still snowing.

torggy

Post Number: 1022

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am having a great time on the North Shore this last week. Not too cold and lots of visiting. Stayed in the house all day Sunday and watched the football games. Both were great games. Starting to get clear and cold. Watched a boat sail through the canal this morning.

Looking forward to lunch with Blondie and Max at the Lighthouse. There could also be someone there with stories of the Pearsons that owned the Clover Valley store. Let ya know later.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 527

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the best time at the Lighthouse today with Torggy and Maxx, lots of laughs. Alvira Pierson joined us, what a nice lady, she knows so much history of the area, and was telling us so much, wish I had a tape recorder. She knows so many people that I know, here in TH.
She took us around and showed us all the photo's and pointed out who was who and in one picture of the old Palmers Station she remarked at the Homestead being called the "Stiff Line"...remember LWM, I asked you if you knew anything of it. well, she goes there are two versions why it was called that, one is that the road was so straight and stiff, and the other was the guys that got off the train, full of drink, were a little stiff, got a chuckle out of the last version. Either version is good. But I will have to call uncle H and tell him this.
LWM, she said you stop by often during the summer.

Thanks Torggy for asking us to meet you.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, lunch was good. Catching up in person was great. It is funny looking back at the start of these pages. Your vision Torggy, on that November 9th 2002, your first post inviting people of the valley here on the web. How slow things went during the first thread. The thread took two years before it was closed on November 27th 2004.

I remember reading the first page but didn't post until the second page. My first post was December 21st of December. That was just over 3 years ago.

Speaking of postings. I read the pages before I first post. I know others read the pages but have not posted. I invite any of you lurkers to think of something to share on this little piece of the web. Maybe some day one us who post here on a regular basis will pick a topic that a lurker will fill strong enough to share their thoughts or memories.

Another thought for everyone. Take the time find stories of your own family or neighbors and friends. It would be a shame to lose such memories of local history.

(Message edited by Madd_Maxx on January 14, 2008)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 528

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It took me a couple years to get into this forum, I knew about it from our son, but just glanced at it. Finally after visiting our son over the Xmas Holidays, he was showing me some of the posts on here, believe it was the school pictures Torggy took, I thought..maybe I should put my two cents what ever it is worth in on this forum. It has been one year for me. Maxx how did you happen onto this forum?

I certainly do enjoy it, and as Maxx said, we invite any lurkers to join in. We are trying to keep this forum going, but we can't do it alone, we need your input also. Start a new thread if you want, or contact Torggy and he can start it for you.

As Maxx put it, "it would be a shame to lose such memories of local history."

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 82

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just was doing searches for local sites. That is how I came to find these pages. I ran into Torggy today. Their dinner was good last night. He was going to jump online today and catch up with the internet life.

torggy

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our Dinner at the Lighthouse was great!! We had a nice quiet area and great service. I really liked my whitefish and my nephew, the picky eater, ate his whole BLT.

Blondie is right, Alvira Pierson gave us the vip tour of the place. It was fun, some of the pictures there are the same as some that have been posted here.

She told us that the Pearson's that owned the Clover Valley store also built at least one if not two of the houses that sit on the corners across the road from the store. She also remembers sleding down the hill behind the store with a family that lived next door called the Reeds.

Alveria's story about the "stiff Line road" was funny but I think she said it was named for the drunk "Finlanders" that got off the train.

Turns out Blondie is married to the son of an old friend of my father. my dad says her remembers driving Vander down to visit his son in the hospital once. He and my dad used to do alot of fishing.

Oh and the name of the footbll player from TH we could not remember is Art Johnson.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 84

Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I put a posting on the other page just trying to see if editing would work. I have some old newpapers from Sept of 1962. How I have the papers, I must take photos of the paper instead of scanning the stories. I am going to post the other two sports stories. Here are the scores listed on Sept 8th 1962

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 85

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a morning. -18 outside and a little extra chill with the wind. Torggy you missed this deep freeze during your visit. These temps made the bus ride to school intesting. Windows so frosted up and the heaters barely throwing off enough heat. Everyone wondering if there would be school or maybe 2 hours late.

torggy

Post Number: 1029

Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was hoping to hit a real cold spell while I was back. But I missed it by a couple days. As I drove out of town Thursday the lake was steaming and starting to skim over with ice.

Those bus rides could get pretty brutal. Fall asleep with your head against the window and your hair would freeze to it.

The 1962 football scores are pretty cool. Fun to see all the names like Cotton and TM. Thanks Max.

erinwenneson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Raymond M. Alseth
Raymond M. Alseth, 73, of Duluth Township died Friday, Jan. 18, 2008 peacefully at home. He was born to Harold and Lillian Alseth on April 5, 1934 in the Clover Valley area. Ray graduated from Clover Valley in 1952. He was the third highest in his class, (out of five students.) He served his country in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean Conflict. Ray had various jobs throughout the area and retired from the U.S. Postal Service as a mail carrier. After retirement he was a volunteer driver for the St. Louis County RSVP. He is preceded in death by two beloved sons, Bobby and Scotty; his parents; two sisters Joan, Joyce; three brothers Bob, John, Jim. Ray is survived by Kathy Wolffe and her children, Becky, Adam; her granddaughter, Jessica Taylor; sister, Lois Lundberg. MEMORIAL SERVICE:2 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, 2008 in the Cremation Society of MN, 4100 Grand Ave., Duluth, MN (218) 624-5200. There will be a visitation one hour prior and a reception following.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 1/20/2008.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 86

Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another sports story from Sept 22 1962. TM over CV. TM is anothr school that is no longer a school. When they closed down, the students went to either Floodwood or Cotton.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 88

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope everyone are keeping warm. It was nice to here that yesterday the high was 35 in the morning and dropped to -19 just before midnight. Schools are closed. I still remember being in school and wondering how cold it would need to be before closing schools.

I am sure many events will not happen this evening with the temps this cold.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello to CV'ers, I have not been around for awhile and a brief stop now. Still at work. Quick catch-up of the news there. It always takes a lot of reading which I enjoy. Out here on the ND plains yesterday morning it was -35F, air temp, not wind chill. I live 2 blocks from work so I ride a bike, even yesterday... car wouldn't start anyways. I told my wife I could be certified as insane now.

torggy

Post Number: 1034

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great to hear from you Scotty. Some might think you were insane riding your bike in the snow. But then they had probably never ridden their bike on a frozen Lake Superior.

Found this picture of the old French River Section House. When I was growing up Jake Schmidt and his family lived there,

If you look closly there are two signs. The one on the left says "French River" and the one on the right says "Waiting Room". The pic is from about 1920.
section house

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone I am @ my sister Bunny's house am introducing her to the sight She has grandkids living with her now and had to finally get a puter the roads were good driving over we are going to ice races tomarrow and going to see Mel Tillas @ the casino tomarrow nite back home on sunday hope everyone has a great weekend

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear about your trip torggy, it's funny I was talking to my Mom who was back in the valley this summer she said they ate at a really nice little restaurant at the end of the holmstead...... my word travels about that place. I know we will have to stop and eat when we are back this summer.
I wrote a joke on the joke thread, just so it might get read. I'm like "plugging" it here.
I think there should be a thread of CV stories, something like "I remember one day in the Valley" and should pertain to stories of one day or so of interesting happenings, even it was just going skating on the gravel pit ponds and a bonfire afterwards, I think that peoples memories of sane and wild times would make for good reading, any comments.?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 543

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, it took about 10 minutes tonight for this thread to come up.

Scotty, you can start your own thread.

Kathy we saw Mel Tillis on Sept 25th in Branson, when we saw him, he ran across the stage and disappeared, and all of a sudden here he came running down the aisle...75 years old!!!! To 'CHARIOTS OF FIRE". Not sure what Casino your talking about?

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie I can't even spell check, starting a thread is way beyond me... THANKS MAXX....
About school buildings being used, when we just had that cold snap my bathroom toilets in our building froze over, brrrrrr.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 559

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the sports section of todays paper, they had this article on the McQuade Road, Safe Harbor
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=60490&section=homepage

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 580

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this in the Duluth township newsletter(Nov).
1935 Train Wreck by Todd Lindahl. Looking at the picture Torggy of the French River Section house, it sure changed over the years.

Business had slacked off dramatically on the railroad
following the first year of the great depression.
As a result of this, the volume of train traffic was adversely
affected and had become just a fraction of
what it was in the good old days. Accordingly, the
number of serious train wrecks had decreased too,
and happily became fairly rare events.
Then at roughly 11:30 A. M. on December 23,
1935, a westbound freight running from Two Harbors
to Duluth hit a broken rail on the first curve east of
French River. In an instant, engineer E. T. McGowan's
locomotive left the rails and headed off into the ditch.
Luckily the engine somehow managed to stay upright
saving the engine crew from certain injury or death.
Behind the locomotive, the next 17 cars piled up in a
narrow cut, which totally blocked the railroad. Pulpwood
was scattered everywhere and the tracks were
torn up for over 300 feet. Two of the freight cars involved
were all but completely destroyed by the force
of the crash.
In the days following the wreck, two passenger
trains met here with each being on opposite sides of
the wreck. Passengers, mail, and baggage were
"portaged" around the wreck in both directions until
the mess was finally cleaned up and the track repaired.
It had been an unpleasant reminder of a bad
day in the good old days.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 935

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Valleys Winter Coat is here!
I didn't know where to put this...but

And

torggy

Post Number: 1254

Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HO HO HO Merry Christmas to everyone!! It is snowing here this morning and we are going to have a rare white Christmas.

Everyone please be carefull on the roads. Make the trip to Grandma's a safe one.

sing

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 114

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas to Everyone. May today bring you many great memories for all to share for many years.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas and may you and yours have a safe and happy New Year

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure like that fireplace there mj

The reason I am posting, is someone asked me over the weekend if I knew where Dale Schumann was? I have no idea myself, but maybe someone else does.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dale was Marlene older brother. They lived across from Pearsons, Ana May was their Aunt

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 121

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to locate Dale to see how Marlene is and after many telephone calls I was not able to locate him. (There are a lot of Dale Schuman's in this world.) Would be nice to know where he is. LWM, Do you have any idea or suggestions as how to find him?

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Schumans were in the Largo-Lake Seminole area in Florida which is directly west of Tampa and North of St. Petersburg. Marlene was, I believe, an X-ray tech at one of the hospitals in that area. I worked with Hospitals in that area and I believe she was at Lake Seminole hospital. This is many, many years ago though, probably in the early 80s.

Hope that helps.

Mrs. Schuman was our school secretary and also the person we registered with for the draft. I can't remember if she was school secretary before or after Mrs. Johnson, Herb Johnson's wife.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I found out, perhaps, a couple of years ago that Marelene passed away. She had a long-time illness and friends had not heard from her for a very long time. I contacted a detective because I could not locate Dale. The detective reported back to me within an hour to let me know what had happened.

I thank you, tho, LWM. Your profession took you all over the United States, it seems. Must have been fascinating for you.

Thank you again.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Marlene and Dale, they were younger than me, probably in JR. high when I was a senior in 59-60.

Mrs. Schumann was secretary after Mrs. Johnson-my brain is functioning again!

By the way, I'm not sure whether anyone is aware, there is a Duluth Township Newsletter that you can look at on line. The publisher is Don McTavish who is also a member of the Homesteader's senior group. He is sending me a hard copy which they are more than happy to do. I have trouble reading it on MSN-TV. Check it out!

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 123

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs. Schumann was secretary when I arrived in 1961. She was with us all the way through graduation to 1967, but I do not know how much longer after that that she was at CV. Very nice lady.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1016

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dale graduated in 64. A classmate had asked about Dale, was curious as to what happened to him. A couple of them hung around with Dodd Keller another classmate, and Dodd lived across the road from Schumanns I believe, on the corner.

Boon I do remember you telling me about Darlene, and I mentioned this to my classmate, and he was quite surprised to hear this.

Nice to hear from you again LWM, hope all is well with you.

Thanks everyone.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 124

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Dodd Keller as well. I believe he died in Vietnam. I can remember when the news of his death was brought to the school. That must have been in 1965.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1017

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

his obit is on another thread here, can't remember which one

torggy

Post Number: 1320

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found it Blondie. The search option at the top of the page is great.

http://www.twoharborsforum.com/discus/messages/3328/3721.html#POST18226

torggy

Post Number: 1321

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this picture. I do not like this scanner though.
schumann

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks torggy, I have never paid any attention to the search at the top of the page.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, for some reason my provider says No such address for you. So, I sent my mail onto Torggy and asked him to try send it to you. Don't know what is going on, I tried two different times.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks torggy. I am trying to find out now why this problem started,seeing you could send my mail with no problem.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I'm here! Got the forwarded message from Torggy. Must be some kind of gremlin out there tryin' to mess me up. I sent you a reply-you were right! That's nothing, I sent Boon a message and had my own relatives mixed up-too many to keep track of!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I can get your mails, what I get out of the returned I sent you, is that your provider has blocked my provider or did. I think the "gremlin" is called Spam!!! Anyway, I sent on info to my provider and hopefully this can be straightened out. I hate when that happens, and this is the first time it has happened with this provider, with my old one, it happened often.

we got about an inch n half of snow overnight, but I do see some blue sky coming, hope!

torggy

Post Number: 1323

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This thread is long enough. Time to close it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration