Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * So... is it haunted? < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CuriousInDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My friends and I visited the school several times, each time finding or hearing something creepy, scary or startling. It's always 4 of us, so we know for sure what we saw. One time when we were leaving, we all saw a huge creature lumbering away from the school & the road. We tried to believe it was a bear, but it was sooo big.. and running on hind legs. Still could be a bear I guess.

We found old classrooms, ladders, bats, and some things that we couldn't explain. Noises of people running when all of us were standing still, laughing and voices calling to one another. The first 2 times, we just thought it was our imagination, so we went several more times, still hearing, seeing and finding crazy creepy stuff.

Any explanations or ideas to this? I'm just really curious now after all these visits. In one room, all of our flashlights died at the same time, but worked again after we ran out.

On a lighter note, it's a really cool building & I can only imagine all the fun stuff that went on there. :-)

CuriousInDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, I don't want to sound offensive, but why didn't they tear down the building like they do any other building that burns down? Part of it is scattered across the ground, and it looks like it was partly taken down. Why so? Memories? Respect?

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 73

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hauned? Hmmm that is a new one. Such talk of places being haunted, knowing that there are several books on haunted places in Minnesota, the old school is not listed in any thing that I have read. As for small groups going into the school uninvited, most land owners do not like have people do such things.

Over the years, there have been many buildings in Duluth that have had fires and were not torn down. Many years several buildings at the cornor of Superior street and the end of Garfield ave stood boarded up and it was not too many years ago before the place was torn down.

I don't know what the owner has planned for the old school but those are their thoughts and dreams. As for being haunted? I wouldn't be sure about that. I don't know of any lccal places in the Arrowhead region that has such stories. There was one place along the shore a haunted story traveled with the local teens. An old resort was still standing and a local purchase the place. A leather recliner was in the main room of the center building. The previous owner was said to had died in the chair. It was said that he haunted the place. On a dare, I said in the chair.

Maybe at midnight you could go into your bathroom with the lights turned off. Stare into the mirror and say Mary Minor 3 times. Then her bloody face will appear, ask her about the old school being haunted. I didn't see her in the bathroom mirror in the same building but I thought you could ive it a try. You may have better results than I.

Are you tring to give birth to a new local folklore? I have not heard any story about the old school being haunted. Did you see a bloody hand print on the old gym door? But that is another story.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 498

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some reason, I don't believe this tale at all!! But what I do believe is, four people were in the school on several occasions, at night at that. Now my question is WHY, WHAT WERE YOU DOING THERE AT NIGHT!!!!????

Awe, maybe the old school was telling you, you didn't belong there!!!

Well, the part that burnt down was torn down actually. The newer part is still standing. I agree, tear it down, and put it to rest, and respect it. I would rather see that, than see the vandilsm that has destoryed a very nice school

MaddMaxx, oh my gosh, Mary Minor. Only thing is I knew it as Mary Worth, saying her name three times staring into a mirror. All I can tell you is, I saw something, a face, but can't say it was bloody. All I know is, it scared the tar out of me, and even yet to this day, I find it hard to look into a mirror in a darkened room. Now mind you, this was years ago, not teenage years either, and it didn't appear first time trying, it was over a period of time trying!!!! Curiosity got the best of me, and I wish I had not done it!!

I know the problem MaddMaxx, you weren't calling her right, you were saying Mary Minor and it was supposed to be Mary Worth, wish I had known that years ago!!!!!!!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told to say Mary Minor. Nobody else dared to do this. Such tales of our youth. I guess the group CuriousinDuluth or now should I say.

Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy. I know why they had problems while in the old school. They forgot to bring Scooby Doo. The next time they drive the Mystery Machine out on the Homestead road they should bring Scooby with them. Then they may solve the mystery of the Haunted School. Besides it was always the janitor. I beleive it was Jack or Dick. I better check my year book. Hey Fred, Daphne, Velma and Shaggy are you the ones who started the school on fire a few years back?

ZOINKS.....} they better careful because they could run into the Clover Valley Creature. Man it has been many years since I have seen Creature. I know he must still be wandering the valley.

valleygirl
Regular Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 49

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, couldn't this be possible? No one took the big plywood chicken on the Homestead Rd and put it in front of the school. No one started a fire in the chem lab. No one ever ate all the goodies in the Home Ec. room. So many no ones, that perhaps it was ghosts? LOLOL

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets call those guys on the tube that bring all of this infrared equipment in maybe there is something to this it would be a kick to see the old school on the tube!

CuriousInDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, me again. I had no intention of starting rumors in your already history-filled school, just wondering what were about the noises. For all I know, some person could be seeking shelter in an abandoned building. I was sad to see all the paintball marks, vandalism and graffiti.

My friends and I were just curious about the empty building as we drove by and decided to turn around and go back to check it out since we had free time. We weren't there to wreck the place more.

It would be kinda cool if those ghosthunter people from tv did come check it out, maybe they would find something. If the school was around for a long time and has as much history as you say it does, maybe spirits with school spirit have decided to go back and reside there, it is quite possible.

Either way, if none of you have been there recently to observe your school in its current condition, maybe you're the wrong people to ask. Just thought I'd inquire, you've told me all I need to know. L8erz.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 500

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was there this Nov. during deer season and took pictures. Torggy has the pictures actually. There have been several posters on here, who have gone by the school.

The school that is standing isn't that old, it was built in 1955.

Like I said, maybe the school was telling you, that you didn't belong in there!! I didn't go inside, and the only noise I heard was water running everywhere.

maybe someone else was in there when you turned around and checked it out, and who ever was in there was trying to scare you away, that is what I suspect happened.

Was the old part of the school standing yet, when you were in there?

How about you Torggy, you were inside taking pictures, with the consent of the owners, did you hear anything?

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1009

Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I heard was the voice of Mr. Lindquist telling me not to run in the halls.

CuriousInDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*Giggles at Torggy's answer*

Just a part of it was torn down, if you're facing the front of the school, it was the right side that was down. That's the part that we went into. I'm wondering, were the murals on the walls there when the school was up and running? Cuz I really like them, sans the graffiti of course.

Honestly, my friends and I are into finding older abandoned places, taking pictures, gathering history, and exploring. We found an abandoned train station in Two Harbors (incredible pictures & stories here!! If anyone's interested), and a little ways down the road was the house that people stayed in while waiting for their train. We found a really old calendar, and just the original structures of the house were incredible, the kinds of wood used for closets & shelving units, the separate rooms, the heavily secured vaults (which were open!), the year dates on everything, it's just so exciting to explore the past and features about it. It's better than reading about it in a book because you can reach out and touch it yourself, take pictures and have personal memories.

That's why we went into your school, we wanted to learn (which is initially the point of school, lol), & explore. Thank you for telling me what year it was erected as well, that helps. :-)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 501

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to correct myself, just noted my error, the new school was built in 1953, not 55. There were murals in the teachers room, not any on the walls when I went to school, don't know about after.
Facing the school, the old part which was built in 1929,to the right, burnt in Oct 1999, and that is the part that is torn down.

It still makes me upset, that something couldn't have been made of this school, and makes me even more angry that someone started a fire. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Your kidding about your find, abandoned train station. Todd Lindahl is really into history of this area.

Ever since yesterday, this forum has been so slow, it took forever for this thread here to come up even.

CuriousInDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, how can I be wrong about this train station? I have pictures, for crying out loud. We've been there several times just because it's so cool. It's right near the entrance of Two Harbors.. you drive in from the freeway (from Duluth), drive down the main road aways past the cute little home business stores, take a right down near the water and we always park by a building with a huge Coca Cola painting on the side.

There is a new train station down the road from the old, abandoned one. The old one has a fence with barbed wire around it. Some parts of the roof are caved in, and there's graffiti all over the place. There are mechanical tools on the ceiling for moving and fixing trains, I don't think it was just a station. We call it the roundabout because ... well, it's a curved building. I could be wrong about it being a train station, but it was definitely used for trains. Alot of the windows are broken out too.

There are a few cylindrical mills outside with sand inside them. Old railroad tracks lead right to and through this place. There's no way this place could be made up.

The pictures we took in the first go were scary as hell. We still have them, I'm going to see if I can get my friend's digital camera so I can get these pictures online. Only the first trip came up with scary results, the other times we just got shots of cool graffiti, parts of the building and other stuff in there.

In the first trip, we took a pic of a room and got a perfectly clear picture of a man leaning on a railing. It was so clear, you could see the numbers on his jersey. There was also a rather large black dog following us around apparently too, that showed up in two or three pictures. We have an agreement that when we go someplace and take pictures, we don't look at the pictures til after we've left. We all sat in the car in the parking lot by the Coke building and cried. They were terrifying and amazing, to know we weren't alone in there. I'm going to try my hardest to get my friend's camera to upload these pictures here so you all can see them too, or even just pics of this roundabout, it's incredible.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 502

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think you are talking about the "Round House", believe that is what it was called. It wasn't a train station, but this was for the engines that pulled the ore cars. They pulled right into the building. I was trying to find the book on TH to verify it, but can't find it right now.

The building with the coke sign, that used to be a restauarant, and is now an art gallery.

As far as putting pictures on the site, you have to be a member or send them to the administrator or moderator, and they can put them on. Also pictures have to be a certain size.

You may want to post this on the Two Harbors Forum. Some railroad people post on there, and sure they can tell you more about the buildings there.

CuriousnDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I scraped together a few pictures quickly that we took. Some are of the roundabout, some are in the house down the road from it, and .. well, I have some from your school, but I'm sure you don't want to see them, I can bet they might be a little depressing to see. I won't show those unless asked.

... Okay, apparently the pix are too big and I have no idea how to shrink them. If anyone would like to see them, you can email me at TKDPantherChic@yahoo.com, just be sure to ask about the pix or I might mistake the email for spam or something, lol.

CuriousnDuluth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I posted this before seeing blondie's post. Cool beans, I was wondering about the train place. And yeah, your description matches perfectly as to where we went, it's a pretty cool place. I would like to know more about the place from a historic approach, rather than just a "we ran around with cameras and guessed" kind of view, lol.

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 543

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CuriousnDuluth - there are folks on the twoharborsforum site that are current railroad employees. Also some that are past employees. There is a book out there on the history of TH and I think it talks about the roundhouse. The webmaster on the TH site has some pretty good knowledge on the old roundhouse AND the building you assume is the "waiting station". I love that building and I wish someone would/could find a use for it. It's a beautiful place just begging for a new life. Maybe a Bed and Breakfast? A modern "saloon" with sleeping rooms upstairs? Anyway, if you look in a library you will probably find the book on TH history.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be the case that the other building which "Curious" is talking about is the old office building for the Duluth and Iron Range RR, part of what later became the DM&IR. It had been used as a Christian Academy private school for a few years. Its tenure was brief, though, and it was soon abandoned again.
old office bldg
tom koehler

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 503

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot about that building Tom. I learned something new today also, didn't know it was a Christian Academy for a few years. Interesting. Do you recall what years?

When tailspin was talking about a bed n breakfast, I just didn't vision that, but sure, now seeing this building yes.

I figured you would know more about the buildings down at the railroad. Years back my dad worked the railroad, other than picking him up from work once in awhile, never had any reason to really go there, so just not all that familiar with history of buildings on it.

Curiousinduluth, there are pictures of the CV school on this forum, that Torggy put on, in its disgusting state. I can't recall what thread they are on now. So, can't depress us anymore than we already are, plus like I said, many have already stopped by the school...or they saw the pictures.

But, if you can figure out how to put the pictures you took in TH, would be interesting to see. If not on here, on Two Harbors Forum.

curiousinduluth
Rookie Poster
Username: curiousinduluth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did read through the original Clover Valley forum, and was intrigued and very interested in the old stories, pictures, and history. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and visit the school when it was up and running, just to experience all the joys you've got to. :-)

Thank you, Tom, for the email. That pic you posted above is awesome, and very similar to the pic I sent you. I'm glad you're all not too mad about my friends and I exploring around Two Harbors and your school, I was worried when I sent the first post that I'd might offend somebody.

A bed and breakfast would be a stellar idea for that old office building. :-) I'd go back and "explore" for sure! ^^

Thank you, Torggy, for accepting me into your forum. :-) That means alot to me since I'm only from Duluth.

Speaking of Duluth, I searched for a Duluth forum online for fun, and found one but... I was rather disappointed. It was all about politics, current news stories, gossip about crude things (like the guy who screwed the dead deer), and other topics that weren't worth reading or replying to. Sometimes, I wish I lived in a smaller town, just to know more people and feel safer in a community.

I really love going to Two Harbors to hang out with my friends who live there, everyone seems to know each other. :D I love it, the people make you feel welcome, even if you don't live there. ^^

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 504

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a neat school to go too, and I am glad that I went there, small classes, more one on one....although I am sure some of the kids, didn't like the one on one!!!Teachers!!!!

We don't own the school, so can't be mad at you for going there...now the owner might have other idea's. I think I can speak for many, the ones we are mad at, are the ones that started the fire. They destoryed a bit of history.

Anyone can join a forum, we have had posters before, who never went to our school, but found our site a very enjoyable one.

Someone else just said the same thing as you, that they feel so welcome here in TH. I think you will find this more in a small town over larger cities.

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never went to the Clover Valley school but I enjoy reading the posts...

NorthShoreEv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! I never had the pleasure of attending CV, but I drive by it nearly every day. I am very similiar to CuriousinDuluth... I LOVE old abandoned bldgs! Curiousity always gets the best of me and I end up climbing fences and investigating. There is an old farmhouse and outbuilding at the end of Laine Road that I would love to know more about!

I moved to the Laine Rd from the cities in 2001. I believe the Pukulas/Pahkulas (sp?) lived here long ago. From what I've gathered, they had two sons and a daughter. One son is Cliff and has a detailing shop in TH. And I think the daughter died rather young. If anyone can fill in the gaps for me I would so appreciate it! I'm dying to know what this little outbuilding on my land was... it looks like it has a storefront! And where was the original house? And why do I sometimes smell manure when digging in my garden? Were there cows here? Horses?

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this site. I have spent the last 3 hours pouring over the stories and loving every minute of it. I especially love the photos!

Oh, and BTW, I worked at Lakeview a couple of summers ago and Vi Gidding (the cook at North Shore) was one of my treasured patients.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 506

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I know Cliff, his brother Warren and Jerry Pahkala.

Why don't you stop in at Cliff's shop, which is behind BP, and talk to him, or call him up. I'd call him myself, but don't have time today. He certainly would be the one to fill you in on things. It has been years since I was up the Laine Road, but at one time I used to know who lived where, etc.

I know Bob Driscoll family had a home at the end of the road or near the end.

If your smelling manure in your garden, that doesn't surprise me. Everyone had animals back years ago, usually cows, pigs and horses, ducks and chickens.

Oh, I worked at Lakeview for many many many years, but I was gone before Violet(Sunde) Gidding was a resident there. Glad I was gone, as it would have bothered me seeing her in there, she was such a nice person.

Just skimming through the "roots of the past' book, trying to find something. Nice write up in there "The Early Days of Clover Valley and Alden".

One passage"Going back a few years now, some people started moving up in Alden. It was still a part of the Town of Duluth then, but later this township was divided and the Town of Alden was born.(Sept 1930) The Driscolls two families and the Lucci family came down from Virginia, coming in from Westover on the Alger-Smith Railroad out of Knife River. I would say this was about 1913 or so. Then a little south of the Driscolls and Lucci's a man named Oscar Laine, I believe, was the first one to move in. Then it started settling quite fast, and a road had to be built to give these new settlers a way to get in and out. Hence we have the Laine Road."

also a passage..."Note: The Rosen Property is now occupied by Lawrence Smith. The first postoffice was just east of Cartwrights store on Ernest Larson property. Rober White has made a home from the former Clover Valley Presbyterian Church and former town hall. Schmidke owns the Martin Martinson homestead now. Landmarks-February 1973"

Now I know who made a home out of the church I was married in, didn't know their name. Also I didn't know there was a postoffice at one time either.

Just found "Halver Halversen was appointed postmaster for the area and given the task of naming the new post office. Halversen, who had emigrated from Molde, Norway, decided to choose a name familiar to him as well as one that reminded him of home. Molde (Mold-a) therefore became the name of the post office and subsequently that of the settlement too. "Molde" has gradually fallen out of use over the years in favor of the more frequently used term "Clover Valley". this was in the turn of the century 1900. (somewhere it tells how Clover Valley came into use..name)

You drive by Molde also, that is where Larson's lived, (home is gone now)and the fire tower was on the West Knife River Road.

Bits and pieces of information are scattered through out the book, in stories that people told.

NorthShoreEv
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie,

Thanks so very much for sharing what you know! I actually saw a 7th grade picture of Warren P. posted here and wondered if he had lived here... how cool! And I think I will stop by and chat with Cliff; he probably would like that I would think.

Vi was pretty incoherent while I worked there, but her brother (I think...) visited almost every day and from what he said, and others, she sounded like a very special lady. I think she has since passed on...

I am going to have to get my hands on a copy of that book... is that the one that the North Shore school sells? I wonder where on Laine Road Oscar lived...Where is the former Clover Valley church and town hall they are talking about? And is Cartwrights store the old store at the end of Homestead?

I had visited Molde Norway a few summers ago, so that's kinda neat! So is Molde the area where the fire tower used to be?

Thanks again for all the info... it is just fascinating to me!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 507

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure Cliff wouldn't mind you stopping by, hopefully he can fill in some of the gaps.

Yes, Vi passed on, bless her heart.

Again yes to the book being available at North Shore School on the Ryan Road. Maybe Cliff would know where Oscar Laine lived.

Yes, Cartwrights was once Clover Valley Store, and it is right at the end of the Homestead, a private home now.

Well, the church is south of the school, past the crossroads of the Hegberg/Torgeson Road. Look on your left, just as you start down the hill, a small house sits close to the road, and if I remember right, they have some sort of wood privacy type fence there also.

That is interesting that you visited Molde, Norway, do you have relatives in Norway? How big is Molde anyway?

I am putting in part of the map that came with the book, so you can see where Molde was.

molde

the #'s and letters in red are places.
G-19 Alden town hall-Laine Road Nappa Road
S-22 Lepisto School, 7291 Laine Road
B-32 Clover Valley Store
S-12 Swanson School-one room log building built 1984(
that is what it states on the back of the map, but that is an error) west side of Homestead Road.
G-9 Molde Hall-NE corner of App Road and Two Harbors Road
S-13 McCrea School (in a home) 1928, south side Two Harbors Road 1/4 mile east of Hill Road, now in shambles.

Right on the corner of the Nappa Road(south side), my grandparents had a berry farm and across the road he had a gravel pit, and on the Nappa Road, just east of the berry farm, he had a sawmill back in the woods. That road turns into Hill Road going south. There used to be an old Finnish couple that had an old farm on the west side on the Hill Road. We used to walk there from my grandparents place to buy fresh milk and cream!! My grandma spoke Finnish, so they could communicate well.

drummer
Regular Poster
Username: drummer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no one has ever mentioned the alexander ramsey school on the pioneer road that existed years ago. my uncle went there about 1919 or so. his mother, my great grandmother died in the 1918 flu epidemic. my uncle went there for 3 years. she grew up on the mcquade and pioneer. they lived in duluth at the time. his father, my grandfather had 4 young kids. he went to live with my great grandparents then and attended the school. for about a month they were taken to school by a horse drawn bus, the rest of the time they walked about a mile. my uncle is still alive and loves clover valley.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 508

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

drummer, glad you brought it up. You know there is so much history to our area, and it is good when someone points out something.
ramsey school

Again this was taken off the map with Roots of the Past book.
S-21 Alexander Ramsey School 1911-1932. One half mile west of Pioneer Junction road on south side of Pioneer Road. Replaced a nearby logging camp school (1905-1909). Normanna students later attended Bloomingdale school, North Shore Elementary School and Clover Valley High School prior to their consolidation with Duluth about 1973.
B-24 Dance Pavillion about 2216 East pioneer rd
B-44 Hobo's Bar moved and made into the Lundgren's Home at McQuade Road
G-22 Old County Tool House. Became Lundgren-Engen Excavating burned in (1983)
I often wondered what happened to that tool house, now I know!!! Used to play there as a kid.

That is interesting about your relatives. Do you have the book? Are they in there?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 509

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

northshoreEv, I found the address for the old church.

torggy

Post Number: 1010

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We actually climbed to the top of the fire tower once. The tower was old and rickety but it was a fire tower just like in the movies. Had the zig zag stairway and the windows all around. It had a suprisingly good view.

Fun story from "the Book"

molde story
molde pic

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 510

Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awe those were the good old days!! Look at those cars.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I worked @ Lakeview till I retired last yearand took care of Violet till I retired When she first came to us she knew who I was and when she got adjetated I would talk to her about the past working in the home is hard when you know the people personally but you have to remember they aren't the same people.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 511

Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is the point, they aren't the same people!!

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All, Have not been here for a while, busy, busy, busy... I have not heard much mention of my dear friends Al and Anna Mae Pearson. I think Al would have to be one of the early settlers on the Holmstead, I remember his log house (long since turned to storage even when I was young) and the stories he would tell of just a horse trail to there. I admired that man for his wisdom way back, he built the two houses and the store on the north end of the holmstead. The heating systems he built into those houses were way before there time. Remember the big wood piles at Al's? He burned less wood than anybody I think because of his circulating floor heat, it was amazing. Any stories to tell???

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I come here and spend lots of time reading instead of adding. I don't remember the Molde hall, I remember the Alden town hall where a few keggers were thrown, of bit of underage drinking went on then. As a youngster I went to the church on the holmstead, every spring we would take a hayride and picknick up to the fire tower on what we called Ted Larson's hill. The big Oak trees every where. It was so pretty up there. The hay wagon was pulled with a little tractor that we always wondered if it would make the hill. I rode down that hill many times on my bicycle at death speeds. The tower was still operating until probably around 1970 or so, I remember climbing up there and staying with Judy Spooner as she watched for fires. Seemed kinda like a boring job but I got a little ribbon or Jr. fire ranger certificate or something like that so I was one proud kid. I think it was partly for not falling off the tower too... Madd Maxx, I like your picture of the last day at CV, I am there, front row, I remember it being taken. Way cool that you have such things and thanks for sharing. All right so I just went back to double check the picture of the last classes and be sure it was you Maxx but now I can't find it. ???

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 512

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess what, I don't remember there being a Molde Hall either, and I am older than you. It was before our time.
We also called it Ted Larson's hill, it was pretty up there and the fire tower was in good shape back then. Gee, Judy Spooner did fire watches, didn't know that.

Pictures of the last classes are on the picture page, the very beginning of the forum.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie, thought I might be losing it, again. I remember to the east of the corner there being what we called the bachelor's house and then a little farther east an overgrown clearing, with small trees, that must be where it was? Thinking of that area makes me remember "Carlson's hill" what a stomach thrill that was, how many people felt air-time over that and then in the spring fly through the flooded road from the beaver dam and spring run-off. OPP's, I almost forgot what I came back here for, "Is it haunted", Nah, I don't think so because some people (no names inserted) spent quite a few late nights there during the 70's and never had any experiances that I can remember, er uh I mean, that I heard of.

torggy

Post Number: 1017

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those pictures can be found at:
http://clovervalley.twoharborsforum.com/photo.html

I have looked through "the book" and have not yet found the Pearson's mentioned. Does not mean they are not. Have to look more later. Does anyone know if or where in the book they might be?

Going up to the fire tower behind a tractor would be great fun! What a great memory.

If anyone is not doing anything Monday the 14th at 1:00 a couple of us are getting together in the bar at the new Lighthouse resturant. I am making a mid-winter visit to see Mom and Dad and to enjoy the North Shore in winter. I well probably be at the Castle early evening Friday the 11th for awhile also. See who is hanging around after work. Look for the ugly guy in a hat with a gray beard.

Lakeview? Is that the place on London road just before the curve going into Duluth?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 513

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nope, I couldn't find anything either on the Pearson's in the book.

Lakeview, is Lakeview Hospital here in TH, they have a Nursing home attached. Up the road is Sunrise, a county run nursing home. The place on London Road is now called Lakeshore. It used to be Lakeshore Lutheran Home,

(Message edited by Blondie on January 06, 2008)

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 759

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you referring to Lakeview Castle Torggy?

torggy

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I well be at Lakeview Castle friday night and probably a couple other times.

Blondie got me straightened out on the nursing homes though. I got confused with the Lakeview and Lakeshore thing.

drummer
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes blondie i do have the book and the forerunner of the book "our heritage". i didn't even realize there was a picture of alexander ramsey school. next time i visit my uncle i will show it to him. he is mentioned on page 192 in the book. my other relatives are on pages 121, 126, 127, 81, and 59. thanks for the info. also if i get ambitious some day i will try to find out how they screwed up the spelling on the hagberg road.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 515

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I remember, you had posted on a prior thread wondering why Hagberg was changed to Heberg Road.
John Hagberg was your relative.

Yes, I saw that picture of Alexander Ramsey School in the book, was going to copy it and post it on here, but never got around to it.

I saw "our Heritage" book at my uncle's this summer.

torggy

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a forerunner to "the book"? Called "Our Heritage"? Wow! Thats Cool! Anyone got a copy of that laying around to share? Drummer, scan some parts and send it to me. Or post them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 518

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might be wrong, but if I remember right, it is the same info in the old book as in the new, with the new one having more added info.

drummer
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torgy, the original book is repeated in the roots book on page 103. i have the book signed by margaret oberg blaisdell. basically it is the same as the reprinted version except it is typewritten instead of printed by professionals. someone then made copies of it and bound it. there are a few minor changes in it and it was given to me by my great ant ada. another interesting fact is that bea midlum worked for my uncle for several years at his resort, and i worked there when she was there for a year or 2. this was after she left the fish fry on the shore.

torggy

Post Number: 1020

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Drummer.

And what resort did your Uncle own?

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All this book talk and I don't read, whod a thunk. It would be real interesting for me to see and look through this book, oh really I do read, learned that at North Shore and Clover Valley, then lost interest at T.H. Torggy, somewhere I saw an ad you posted for the CV store, the picture is before the addition, it said A.W. Pearson proprietor. I know Al sold the store in about "66" or "67". I don't know when it was built and opened, anybody have info? I think Al moved to the Valley in about "22"-"24". I am surprised there would not be something in "the book" about it. Torggy, would like to meet you at the castle but 500 miles away Nah, if you see your younger sister when your back there, mention I said our 30th is this year and I hope to see her somewhere. I'll be back stomping around in the valley :-) seeing what's changed. And probably what has not...

torggy

Post Number: 1021

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I well tell her Scotty. Would try and post some about the old store but am almost on the way out the door to the airport now. Blondie might be able to help. Remind me again in a couple weeks.

I think the ad might have been from on old Landmark.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since CuriousinDulth was asking about the school. Here is a photo during the construction of the new wing of the school. The old part that burned is in the back ground. I like the student staring out the 3rd window from the left.

drummer
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy, my uncle owned loon lake lodge on the gunflint for about 50 years. he's the one that went to alexander ramsey school for about 3 years at my great grandparents.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 520

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

actually both torggy and I posted a picture of CV store, here is the one torggy put in.
store

I looked through the book again, and still can't find any mention of Pearson's at all, not at all. If someone else can find anything, please feel free to post it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 521

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I would put the picture of the Alexander Ramsey School on here also
alexander ramsey school
this was taken out of Roots of the Past book

The Alexandar Ramsey School opened on schedule in the fall of 1911 with Miss Constance Falstad as teacher. She taught grades one through eight, as was the custom in those early days. It had 10 families in attendance. The children were required to walk to school since none of them lived too far away. In later years, transportation by means of horse and sleigh was provided in winter months by different families. Each day began with a 15 minute song period, accompanied by music from the fine organ.

I found this interesting in the book.
In 1926, Eben Britton moved into the Spring Lake Area, and a few years later the Praeger family moved into the Ray Britton home, and because of the great distance to Johnson School(this school was located on Normanna Road) it was decided that a school would be built at Spring Lake. The school was built in 1929 by Swen Johansen and was opened in the fall and taught by Ethel McIntyre. The children enrolled this first year were the Praeger children-Paul, Richard, Julia and John. This new school was featured in a Ripleys "Believe It or Not" article as the smallest school in the USA.
spring lake school

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie, Pictures are cool. I have seen the one when they were building the new part before somewhere, what a task to build in those days. Spring lake looks pretty little. I think it is odd about Pearson's, they were such super nice people and building the store and being there for so long I would think there would be mention.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 522

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Madd Maxx put in the one of the CV school add on, it was posted on another thread at one point.

Yes, Spring Lake looks small, guess that is why it made Ripley's Believe it or not. Would be interesting what year it made that though.

I also can't believe there was no mention of Pearson's in the book, and I haven't come across CV store at all either. The store was part of CV as far as I am concerned.

Guess it was an oversight for sure. But putting this book together all I can say is THANKS!!

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So when I am back this summer can I buy the "Book" somewhere?

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 80

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my book at Northshore. You would have to check and see if someone is there during the summer.

infohunter
Regular Poster
Username: infohunter

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLONDIE,
here is that map image that you had posted

if you can help me locate in lake county the matching reference numbers like apper on that map above you might be a major pillar to us the numbers we are looking for are A-12 or A-121
we belive that those would be located up in the Brimson/ Fairbanks area

infohunter
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does this book of cover the whole county or just the clover valley area

torggy

Post Number: 1247

Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aahh those numbers are hand written in and indicated the location of old schools and points of intrest to people that live in the Clover Valley area. Clover Valley is in St. louis county.

infohunter
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dang it thought we were onto something

(Message edited by infohunter on November 26, 2008)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 911

Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

infohunter, sorry, but as I had said, in a message, that this map covered Clover Valley. I did say it was hand drawn. Oh well, you tried. Good luck anyway in finding what your looking for.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration