Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Passing on < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 541

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gary Albert Sironen
Gary Albert Sironen, of BlueBird Landing died Monday, Jan. 28 after a long struggle with Parkinson's disease and multiple myeloma. He was born in Leaf Lakes Township, Minn, on Dec. 11, 1940 and came to the French River area with his family in 1949. Gary will be remembered for being a kind, loving, patient, honorable, respected, stalwart husband, father, son, brother, and friend. He loved the time spent on the beach with his fishing rods or adventuring with his family and friends. He was preceded in death by his father, Albert Sironen; and granddaughter, Maija Pettis. Gary is survived by his wife of 45 years, Mary Ann; his daughter, Lisa (Kevin) Pettis; his beloved granddaughter, Haeli; his son, Todd; mother and stepfather, Eileen and Louis Sirny; sister, Lone (David) Cook and brother, Larry (Sandy) Sironen all of Duluth; as well as many treasured neighbors, relatives, co-workers, and friends. Gary is sorely missed by Belle and Mewie. CELEBRATION OF LIFE:11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2008 with a gathering time at 10 a.m. in French River Lutheran Church 5310 Ryan Rd. In lieu of flowers memorials are preferred and will be given to the French River Lutheran Church Building Fund. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.
Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 1/30/2008

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Blondie. I knew Larry Sironen. He graduated a year before me. My deepest sympathy to the entire family.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for th orbit My sisters and I were wondering where Maryanns brother Tim Lukonen is anyone Know Blondie you should know my brother and him were friends

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 544

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM, I am sure knows where Tim lives. I know this was brought up quite sometime ago on another thread, but I don't know myself.

No, I didn't know Butch and Tim were friends, both left so early in our school years(or atleast Tim did, he came to TH school system.)

valleygirl
Pro Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim is still in California. Has been there for many years. He and wife spent time visiting TH a couple years ago, and I believe come yearly.
Also sending sympathy to Gary's family. He was a great guy and I don't think had anything but a kind word for everyone, even through his illness. Nice legacy. Nice memories.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim lives in Auburn, CA which is about 30 miles east of Sacramento. I used to stop and say hello to his wife Joanne when I was at Auburn Faith Hospital on business.

Gary Sironen will be missed. This was a man without a mean bone in his body, a true gentleman. He was a good athlete, best in the class of 58.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have mentioned that Tim's wife worked at Auburn Faith hospital, I forget which Department. The hospital was my customer for many years.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1042

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Margaret Shelhon, 96, Two Harbors, died Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008 in the Lake View Home. She was born July 3, 1911 to Charles and Signe (Olson) Williams in Minneapolis. Margaret was a lifelong resident of Lakewood, Clover Valley area. She did housework in Duluth for many years, and was a member of the Living Waters Fellowship. She enjoyed reading her Bible, attending church, cooking (from scratch), jigsaw puzzles, camping, fishing, traveling, gardening, game shows, board games, word search books, and time with her grandchildren. Margaret is preceded in death by her parents, her husband, Howard in 2000; sons, Jack and Donald; brothers, Raymond and Gilbert; and sisters, Mabel Nummi, Esther Holte, Anna Mae Williams and Helen Korhonen. She is survived by her sons, Patrick (Joy) of Two Harbors and Paul (Ofelia) of Athens, Georgia; a daughter, Holly Jacobson of Duluth; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; many nieces and nephews, and a brother-in-law, Harry Nummi of Superior. VISITATION:5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday in Cavallin Funeral Home, Two Harbors and from Noon until the 1 p.m. service on Thursday, Feb. 28, 2008 in Living Waters Fellowship, Two Harbors. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery, Two Harbors. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM thought you would like to know my uncle Olaf Lee died yesterday. He filled up with fluid congestive heart failure the funeral is monday at the Knife River church. He lived a long life he was ready, my Uncle Lawrence agrees it was time.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 610

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to hear this Kathy.
How old was he?

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if I'm not mistaken he turned 85 last august

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 615

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Olaf Edwin Lee, 85, Knife River, died Thursday, March 27, 2008 at the Lake View Memorial Hospital. He was born Aug. 9, 1922 to Christ and Mary (Elj) Lee. He attended schools in Knife River and Two Harbors then sailed on the Great Lakes until 1942, when he was sent to Merchant Marine School in New London, Conn. He served in the South Pacific during World War II until 1946. For 16 years he smoked fish for Russ Kendall's Fish. Later he worked construction on the Hwy 61 Expressway from the Homestead Road to Two Harbors and other local projects, until retiring in 1980. He is preceded in death by his parents; sisters and brother, Celia Hanson, Ella Larson, Elsie DeLong and Walter Lee; and nephews Kevin Lee and Kenneth Hanson. Olaf is survived by his brother, Lawrence Lee; and three generations of nephews and nieces. VISITATION:10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. service on Tuesday, April 1, 2008 in Knife River Lutheran Church. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 99

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parlin, Robert Rory "Chumly"

Robert Rory 'Chumly' Parlin, 51, of Ryan Rd. died Tuesday, March 25, 2008 at home. He was born in Duluth to Eugene E. and Jacquline M. (Gove) Parlin. He was a self-employed mechanic. Chumly, who was known to many by his laugh, loved to cook for his friends, and enjoyed gardening. He was preceded in death by his parents. Chumly is survived by his sister, Rosanne Ellis of Duluth; by his brothers, Ken (Bonnie) of New Hampshire, and John (Colleen) of Duluth; his daughter, Jessica (Erik) Aquago of Texas; and numerous nieces and nephews. Chumly's family would like to thank his many friends for their help and love during his time of need. GATHERING OF FRIENDS:1 to 3 p.m. Friday, April 11, 2008 in Dougherty Funeral Home, 600 East Second Street

Thoughts are with the family with their lost.

torggy

Post Number: 1071

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harriet Driscoll, 78, French River, died Tuesday, April 8, 2008, at St. Luke's Hospital. She was born in Sheyenne, North Dakota on Nov. 30, 1929, to Aslak and Irene (Randall) Haugo. She grew up in Erskine, Minn., graduating from high school in 1947. She graduated from Bemidji State University with a teaching degree and did her post graduate work at UMD. She married Jerry Driscoll in Nary, Minn., on Oct. 24, 1953. Harriet was an elementary school teacher in Nary, Two Harbors, Clover Valley and North Shore Elementary School, teaching for about 34 years. She was a member St. Michael's Catholic Church, Duluth, and the VFW Auxiliary. She was preceded in death by her parents and brother, Frank. Harriet is survived by her loving husband of 54 years, Jerry; sons, David of Esko and Jon (Melanie) of Duluth; brothers and sisters, Richard (Dorothy) Haugo of Bemidji, Anne Gerlovich of Cloquet, Mildred (Roger) Anderson of Costa Mesa, Calif., Edith (Robert) Lindgren of Bemidji, and Oliver (Violet) Haugo of Wadena, Minn.; grandchildren, Joseph Paul, Kathleen Marie, and Tana Nevaeh; and numerous nieces, nephews, former students and friends. Harriet will be missed by all who knew her. A special thanks to Lisbeth Boutang, Bobbi Jo Heskin and Linda Galeski for special care given to Harriet in the past year. VISITATION:10 a.m. Saturday, April 12, 2008 until the 11 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial in St. Michael's Catholic Church. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 633

Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is too bad. They live in the house my dad built. She had some kind of lung disease. A couple months ago, I was at the clinic getting pills, and she was ahead of me in a wheel chair. I didn't notice who it was, until I was at the counter, and she started to talk to me. At that time, she said her lungs were getting better, and she did look good. Harriet always looked good!

frosted_flakes
Regular Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name "Mrs./Miss Driscoll" rings a bell with me for a grade school teacher. Does anyone know if she taught at the John A. and what years she was there? I should, probably, ask this on the TH side of the tracks too.

ejb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs. Driscoll was my 3rd grade teacher at North Shore. Out of all the teachers I ever had, including college and graduate school, she was my favorite.

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just read this today, sad news. She was one of my favorite teachers in grade school, I remember a special smile and happy feelings just seemed to radiated from her.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite a few threads back...many to be honest, we talked about Stromberg, and Edsel. Edsel lived on the Pioneer Rd. when I was a little kid.

Edsel W. Stromberg
Edsel W. Stromberg, 83, of Maple Grove, formerly of Edina, passed away peacefully with family present on Saturday, May 24, 2008 after living many years with Alzheimers. Created perfect by God, Edsel faithfully served God. He was preceded in death by parents, Swan and Katherine; and brother, Chalmers. Survived by loving wife of 44 years, Gloria; children, Jim (Sandy) and Jodi (Steve) Campbell; grandchildren, Tyler, Jack, Kali and Ana; sisters, Arlene and Caroline;. Also loved by other family and friends and his beloved dog, Tusa. MEMORIAL SERVICE:11 a.m. Saturday, May 31, with visitation one hour prior to the service all in Washburn-McReavy, Hillside Chapel, 2610 19th Ave. NE, 612-781-1999. Interment at Hillside Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred to the donors choice.

torggy

Post Number: 1150

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hultstrom, Ruby Ida Marie (Gustafson)

Ruby Ida Marie (Gustafson) Hultstrom, 86, of Duluth, died Tuesday, June 17, 2008, in St. Luke's Hospital. Ruby was born in Duluth on June 20, 1921, to William and Ida (Carlson) Gustafson. She graduated from Clover Valley High School in 1939 and attended Duluth Normal School. She was baptized in the Bethel Lutheran Church in Duluth. She was a member of Sychar Lutheran Church in Silver Bay, Minn., where she lived from 1956 to 1976 when she moved back to Duluth. She was a member of Elim Lutheran Church. She was a member of the church quilting circle and she loved cooking and baking. Ruby is preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Carl, in 2000; and her brother, Melvin Gustafson. She is survived by her two sons, William (Lennarta) of Hollywood, Calif., and Robert (Lynn) of Baxter, Minn.; her brother, C Rudy (Muriel) Gustafson of Phoenix, Ariz.; fourgrandchildren, Erik, Lisa (Joe) Leeper, Andrew Mattson, and Anders Hultstrom; and three great grandchildren, Ethan, Amber, and Ruby. VISITATION:2 p.m. until the 3 p.m. service Friday in Elim Lutheran Church. Memorials may be directed to the church and church quilting circle. Burial will be at Park Hill Cemetery.

torggy

Post Number: 1187

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Signe Linnea (Burk) Stromgren, 97, of Duluth, died Saturday, June 28, 2008, in Solway Serenity Acres. Signe was born in French River, DuluthTownship, on Oct. 8, 1910 to Alfred and Maria (Ingerstrom) Burk. She was a member of French River Lutheran Church, Homesteaders and was a former Cub Scout Leader. She loved to paint, do crafts, fish for walleyes and travel. She is preceded in death by her parents, her husband, George C., in 1993; her five sisters and three brothers-in-law, Freda (Adolph) Reierson, Agnes and Irma Burk, her twin sister, Lillian (Glen) Bergfalk, and Thelma (George) Chaffee; and niece, Marry (David) Hoberg. Signe is survived by her son, John (Marcia) of Duluth; three grandchildren, Todd (Amy) of Coon Rapids, Eric (Tena) of Duluth and Naomi (Ryan) Meisinger of Duluth; four great grandchildren, Tevia, Donya, Signe, and Anja; nieces and nephews, and her dear friend, Myrtle Carlson. The family wishes to thank Solway Serenity Acres and staff for the excellect, loving care given to Signe since Janurary 2007. MEMORIAL SERVICE:11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 9, 2008 in Emmanuel Baptist Church 1505 Eklund Ave, in Duluth Heights. The Jarvi-Dowd Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangements. Please send any memorial gifts to Solway Serienty Acres, 3615 Munger Shaw Road, Cloquet, MN 55720

Published in the Duluth News Tribune on 8/3/2008

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 831

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frink, Clarian

Clarian Frink, 93, passed away peacefully on Aug. 12, 2008 in Duluth. Clarian began teaching elementary school in a one room school house in Wisconsin in 1935. She loved to read and shared her love of books as a librarian and teacher at Northshore Elementary. Over the years, she taught over a thousand students to be ""good citizens.'' She inspired her students to believe in themselves and be the best they could be. Even after retirement, she continued to teach those around her. She loved nature, flowers, animals, and especially birds. She loyally fed the deer who somehow knew her home was a safe place to eat and rest. She will be greatly missed by all those whose lives she touched. Preceded in death by her husband, John Frink; daughter, Frances (Frink) Zamora; and siblings, Paul, Todd, Norman, and Edie. Survived by son, Jeff Frink; grandchildren, Eve San Nicolas, Erin Zamora, Matthew Frink, and Mary Jezierski; and siblings, Percy Whittmeyer and Fritz Jorgenson. The family would like to send a special thanks to everyone at Touching Hearts who cared for Clarian. MEMORIAL SERVICE:1 p.m. Friday in French River Lutheran, 5310 Ryan Road. In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred to Northshore Community School, 5926 Ryan Road, Duluth.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 106

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The name has not been released for the 3 year old girl that died in the fire on the West Knife River road last night. Prayers out to the family who received that lost last evening.

(Message edited by Madd_Maxx on August 27, 2008)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 838

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is an article in the Duluth News Tribune this morning.
So very sad. I can only imagine what the grandmother is going through right now.

torggy

Post Number: 1195

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a horriable ordeal. My prayers are with the family.

Solem is a name with a long history in the area. Went to school with a couple. Can't imagine what they must be going through.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 839

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little Johnson girls obit is in the paper today, and her grandfather is Bruce Solem. Kathy and Boon I believe you graduated with Bruce.
Words cannot express the sympathy that goes out to this family.

torggy

Post Number: 1202

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mildred R. "Granny" "Milly" (Borgen) Privett
Mildred ""Granny'' ""Milly'' R. (Borgen) Privett, 79, lifelong resident of the Duluth area, died in her sleep from complications to cancer, on Saturday, Aug. 30, 2008, while at the Chris Jensen Health and Rehabilitation Center. Milly was born March 1, 1929, in Duluth, to Thorstein and Anne (Marken) Borgen. She was a 1948 graduate of Clover Valley High School. On Dec. 9, 1948, in Duluth, Milly married Ray C. Privett. Milly was preceded in death by her husband, Ray on Nov. 13, 1995; her parents; two sisters and an infant brother. She is survived by her children, Ray (Kathy), of Proctor, Jay, of Duluth, Kay Johnsen, of Duluth, May (Fred) Broman, of Duluth, and Peter (Cathy) of Proctor; five grandchildren, April (Bryan Groth) Privett, Ray Privett, Annalisa (Patrick) Mines, Andrew (Janel) Broman, and Faith Privett; a great-granddaughter, Lauran Mines; three sisters, Joan Zobitz, of Tower, Ida Scott, of Babbitt and Carol DeBeltz, of Ely. The family wishes to thank Dr. Todd Freeman and his staff for the outstanding care and support they provided for many years. GATHERING OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS:will be announced, in the paper, at a later date. In lieu of flowers donations are preferred to the Leif Erickson Viking Ship Restoration Project, P.O. Box 411, Duluth, MN 55801.

torggy

Post Number: 1208

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arlene M. Olson passed away on Sept. 6, 2008 at the Solvay Hospice House in Duluth. She was born on June 10, 1929 in Two Harbors to Carl and Mary Sandberg. The family moved to the Palmers area of the North Shore when she was six months old and she spent almost her entire life on that plot of land surrounded by her family. Arlene graduated from Two Harbors High School in 1947 and then received a degree in Home Economics from the University of Minnesota-Duluth. Arlene married Thomas R. Strom in 1951 and they had three children, Ann, Tim and Karl. She succeeded in making a happy home while working part time as a substitute teacher. In 1968 she joined St. Louis County Social Services full time as a social worker. When Tom died in 1976, Arlene maintained the family, home and lifestyle. She married Capt. Richard M. (Dick) Olson in 1983 and retired in 1986. Arlene and Dick spent many happy retirement years traveling home and abroad, with 17 winters spent at their second home in Bonita Springs, Fla. Their RV journeys took them from coast to coast and from Key West to Fairbanks. Arlene enjoyed and excelled at making a comfortable, beautiful and welcoming home. Her hospitality was well known and much enjoyed by family and friends. She made the Strom/Olson house the center of the family neighborhood at Bluebird Landing and it saw many years of dinners, celebrations and large gatherings of all sorts. During quiet times Arlene enjoyed her crossword puzzles, reading, sewing and decorating both her home and her dollhouses. Arlene was an active member of French River Lutheran Church where her artistic, decorating, sewing and hospitality skills contributed to many of its activities, committees and work groups. She is survived by her husband, Richard; sister, Evelyn (Frank Betts) Tietsort of Auburn, Calif.; children, Ann (Scott) Jackson, Tim (Julie) Strom and Karl (Christine) Strom, all of Duluth; grandchildren, Christina (Curt) Cavallin, Carly Jackson, Josie and Sam Strom, and Johann and Thomas Strom; stepchildren, Daryl (Linda) Olson of Fairbanks, Alaska, Sharon (Garry) Moe and Maureen Olson of Duluth; step-grandchildren Rebecca, (Dan) Olson, April Phillips, Justin Lundgren, Shawn (Marci) Lundgren, Maureen (Josh) Isabel, Torina (Jason) Stark; and nine step great-grandchildren; her special niece Mary, Ann Sironen and other nieces, nephews and relatives. She was predeceased by her parents, Carl and Mary; her first husband, Tom; her brother, Art and his wife Bergetta; her brothers-in-law, Tim Lukkonen and Charles Tietsort; her special uncle, John Sandberg; and her special nephew-in-law, Gary Sironen. SERVICE:11 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 11, 2008 in French River Lutheran Church, to celebrate her life, with a gathering of friends beginning at 10 a.m. The family requests memorials to French River Lutheran Church or Animal Allies in lieu of flowers. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although this is a very tragic thing that has happened and my heart goes out to this Solem family, I just wanted to let you know that I have been informed that it is not the Bruce Solem that we graduated with in 1967 from CV.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 843

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks boon for clearing that up.

torggy

Post Number: 1210

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tyyne Sofia Gustafson Karna, passed away Sept. 11, 2008 in Waukegan, Ill. She was born June 22, 1911 in Clover Valley, Minn., to Aina and Gust Gustafson. She was married to the late Andrew Karna on June 20, 1942, worked at U.S. Steel and did domestic work for many years. Tyyne belonged to St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church. She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; and brother, Niilo (Martha) Gustafson. She is survived by her beloved sister, Impi Swanson of Omaha, Neb.; loving niece, Marjorie Snell; and dear nephews, Arthur (Dorothy) Sahlstein, Gerald (Patricia) Maki and Roger (Kathy) Maki. VISITATION:4 to 8 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 14, and on Monday from 10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. service, all in Marsh Funeral Home, 305 Cemetery Rd., Gurnee, Ill. Interment at North Shore Garden of Memories, North Chicago. For more info please call 847-336-0127

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 109

Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter Keith Bailey, 78, of Clover Valley, Minn., passed away Wednesday Oct. 8, in St. Luke's Hospital, Duluth.

Walter was born on March 1, 1930 to Guy R. and Pearl Bailey in Spring Valley, Wis.

He retired from the United States Air Force in 1971 after 20 years of service.

He was preceded in death by his parents and six of his eight siblings.

Walter is survived by his wife of 52 years, Grace (Burke) Bailey; his four children, Susan (Troy) Berg, Sally (Robert) Mostrom, William (Anne) Bailey and Cynthia (Bruce Jr.) Lovold; and nine grandchildren, Christine, Amanda and Kevin Lampi, Jacqueline and Christopher Snyder, Ronald and Jessica Bailey and Peter and Nicole Lovold; two sisters, Marilyn Hodgin of Amery, Wis., and Judith Gilbert of Edgerton, Wis.; a brother-in-law, Terrence (Irene) Burke of Durango, Colo.; sister-in-law, Judith (Bruce Sr.) Lovold of Beaver Bay, Minn.; and many nieces and nephews. He will be sadly missed by his family and many friends and classmates.

SERVICES: 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008 in Lakeview Covenant Church, Duluth

My thoughts and prayers are with their family.

torggy

Post Number: 1229

Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting that Max. With the changes to the News Tribune web site it is harder to keep up on the obit page. I would appericate any help you guys can give me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 865

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree Torrgy, the changes with the tribune and the obit page are harder now to follow.

erin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CONRAD "CONNIE" SUNDE III
Conrad “Connie” Sunde III, 60, died unexpectedly and peacefully at his home Sunday, Dec.

Conrad “Connie” Sunde III, 60, died unexpectedly and peacefully at his home Sunday, Dec. 28, 2008 in Duluth.

He was born to Conrad and Pearl Sunde Sept. 8, 1948 in Duluth.

Connie graduated from Clover Valley High School, class of 1968. He was an exceptional athlete in football, baseball and basketball. Connie worked for Laborers Local 1091 for 34 years, retiring in 2000. He was well liked by everyone, and was known for his sense of humor and friendliness.

He is preceded in death by his parents and two brothers, Steven and Bradley.

Connie is survived by two sons, Connie and Wade; brother, Ted; sister, Nancy (Curt) Larson; and nephew Rick Johnson.

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 5 p.m. Friday Jan. 2, 2009 in the Cremation Society of Minnesota, 4100 Grand Ave, Duluth, MN 624-5200. There will be a visitation one hour prior to service.

torggy

Post Number: 1258

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connie graduated a year ahead of me. I remember him playing on the football team with Olaf Gunderson and Gary "Grunk" Nesgoda. Vern Elala(sp) was coach. CV had some great football and basketball teams in those days.

My condolances to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1260

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doris Schyberg of Duluth left this world in the wee hours of Dec. 31, 2008 to be with her beloved husband Bill for the dawn of a New Year.

She was born Jan. 5, 1921 in Mason City, Iowa to John and Grace (Birkbeck) Peterson.

She graduated from Mason City High School. Doris worked for the Navy Dept. during World War II, first in Washington D.C. and later in San Diego , Calif., where she met Bill Schyberg, a handsome brown-eyed Marine. They were married Jan. 11, 1947 in Saratoga Springs , N.Y.

They moved to Duluth in January, 1948 in a Model A Ford carrying all their worldly possessions, persuaded by a friend that there was no place like it on earth. They built a 16x20 cabin in the woods of Normanna Township, and moved there in the summer of 1951 with then three month old daughter, Mary.

Doris worked at St. Luke’s Hospital in Medical Records and later for several Duluth physicians in their offices. She loved her family, especially her grandchildren and the outdoors. She was familiar with every tree, flower and bird on their 40 acres. She loved to travel, and couldn’t wait to see what was around the next bend in the road.

Doris is preceded in death by her parents, John and Grace Peterson; brother, Ralph Peterson and infant brother; as well as her husband, Bill in 2006.

She will be sadly missed by her daughter, Mary Louise Johnson; granddaughter, Saphire Johnson; grandson, Kristian Koivisto; niece, Pat (Scott) LaVold; nephews, Jon (JoAnne) Peterson and Robert (Jeannie) Peterson; five great-nieces; one great-nephew; several great-great-nieces and nephews; and a multitude of friends.

Her family wishes to thank Linda and Valerie of St. Luke’s Hospice Duluth, and Shirley and Les Nicholson of Two Harbors for their loving care at the end of her life.

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 11 a.m. Monday, Jan. 5, 2009 in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Rd., Duluth. Visitation will be one hour prior to service. Services entrusted to Cremation Society of Minnesota, 218-624-5200.

I graduated with Mary. My deepest condolances to her and her family.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 104

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connie and Olaf were not only cousins but they were also very good friends. Kathy Lee, Olaf, Connie and I used to ride in the back of Nelo's bus and sing songs on the way home from school. Connie was a very friendly and nice young man.

His passing is very sad news.

My condolences to the family.

Diane Brouse
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So sorry to hear that Connie Sunde (class of '68) passed away recently. What a handsome Cavalier he was and always will be.

torggy

Post Number: 1291

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mayme Caroline Hiukka, 79, of French River, passed away peacefully Jan. 24, 2009 in her longtime home.

Born May 14, 1929 in Kettle River to Matt and Lydia Mattson.

She attended St. Luke's School of Nursing and was a Registered Nurse at St. Luke's Hospital for more than 40 years. Her passion for nursing led May to continue working part-time until age 77.

May was a member of French River Lutheran Church, and her hobbies included organic gardening, fishing, swimming, and a love for animals and the outdoors.

May is survived by her daughters, Jean King of Golden, Colo., and JoAnn Hiukka of Duluth; and her sons, John and Jerry of Two Harbors; 10 grandchildren, three great grandchildren; her brother, Eino of New Brighton; niece and nephews, and her beloved dog, "Angel".

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 1 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 29, in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Road, Duluth, MN 55804. Donations in May's memory may be made to the French River AA Group, c/o French River Lutheran Church. May was loved greatly and will be missed by many.

torggy

Post Number: 1304

Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That great French River/Clover Valley historian LWM alerted me this obit today, he said, she is the mother of one of his classmates from 1960. They lived on Holmstead Road, in fact, Their daughter Patty is married to Bruce Lundgren and they still live in the Homestead.

Thanks for paying attention LWM.

Bernice A. Sheldon, of Aftenro Home, died Jan. 27, 2009 at Chris Jensen Nursing Home.

Bernice was born Aug.2, 1919 in Cherry Grove , Minn., to Harry and Emma Meinen. Her mother died when she was five years old and she went to live with her aunt and uncle, Bertha and William Duneman.

She graduated from Spring Valley High School and the Lee School of Beauty Culture in St. Paul . Bernice was employed by the Sprott Beauty Salon in Spring Valley, Minn .

She married Stanley W. Sheldon on June 5, 1940. They farmed near Spring Valley until his induction into the army. Following the war, they moved to Duluth where Stanley was employed by U.S. Steel.

Bernice and Stanley have spent many wonderful retirement years traveling around the United States together.

Bernice is survived by her loving husband, Stanley; two daughters, LaDean (Herbert) Walberg, Clancy, Mont., and Patty (Bruce) Lundgren, Duluth; four grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; her sister, Lillian (Floyd) Mathison of Austin, Minn.; one nephew and one niece.

The family greatly appreciates the special care and love she received from the staffs of Aftenro Home and Chris Jensen (Willows Unit).

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 1 p.m, Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2009, in Lakeside Presbyterian Church, 4430 Mcculloch St. Duluth. Services entrusted to Cremation Society of Minnesota, 624-5200.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 116

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 05:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don Oberg, 80, of Duluth Township, died Thursday, March 19, 2009 at the Benedictine Health Center.

Don was born Sept. 2, 1928 to John Morris and Sadie (Nelson) Oberg in Duluth, grew up in French River and attended local schools.

He was employed by the DM&IR Railroad in Two Harbors for 12 years, as a meat cutter and butcher for several years and later went to work at UMD for 30 years, retiring as manager of food service and vending.

Don enjoyed drawing house plans and kitchen and home remodeling and also built five homes, including one in Alaska for his son. He also raised beef cattle and draft horses.

He was a member of French River Lutheran Church and the Homesteaders Senior Group, and volunteered at North Shore School on snowdays taking children on hayrides.

Don was preceded in death by his parents, daughter-in-law, Juli Oberg.

He is survived by his wife, Mildred; sons, Martin (Suzette) of Alaska and James of Rosemount; a daughter, Susan of Duluth Township; sisters, Deloris (Wally) Hanson of North Branch and Ingrid (Glen) Hanson of Duluth; grandchildren, Kevin Oberg, Michelle Oberg, Heidi (Troy) Anderson, Heather, Jason, Justin and Jared Oberg; a great-grandchild, Allison Oberg; and numerous nieces and nephews.

VISITATION: 12 noon until the 1 p.m. service on Thursday, March 26, 2009 in French River Lutheran Church. Burial will be at Lakeview Cemetery, Palmers. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1111

Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

JOHN "BILL"WILLIAM YOUNG
John "Bill" William Young, 96, of Two Harbors, died Monday, March 23, 2009 in the Sunrise Home.

He was born Feb. 23, 1913 to Henry and Anna Young in Duluth.

He attended school in Clover Valley and married Thelma Hedin in 1940. They lived in Palmers until moving to Two Harbors in 1946. He started logging as a young man and continued in the Grand Marais area for a short time then operated his own saw mill and planer until going to work for JC Campbell Lumber Company. After "retiring", he worked for Encampment Forest Association for several years.

Bill was a member of the Modern Woodsmen and enjoyed woodworking and visiting with friends.

He is preceded in death by his wife, Thelma; parents; brother, Edwin; and sisters, Ella and Martha; and infant son, Richard Arlan in 1945.

He is survived by son, Bill (Ginny) Young of Two Harbors; daughter, Marilyn (Richard) Shelton of Plymouth; grandchildren, Darrin (Dena), Beth (Fred), Kristin (Chris), Marsha (Tracy), Tanya, Troy, Joe (Mel) and Rich (Kali); great-grandchildren, Erik, Will, Guy, Tessa, Julia, Brette, Sebastian, Deacon and Magdalena and several nieces and nephews.

VISITATION: 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, March 26, in Cavallin Funeral Home, where services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday. Burial at Lakeview Cemetery, Two Harbors.

torggy

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alice Dorothy Alveria Cooke, 88, formerly of Normanna Township, passed away peacefully Friday, April 10, 2009 in her residence at Edgewood Vista.

She was born on Sept 24, 1920 to Andrew and Ida (Jones) Ness in Pine City, Minn.

She attended schools in Wright, Cromwell, Duluth and Two Harbors and went on to cosmetology school in Duluth. She married George Edsil Cooke on March 5, 1943 in Hermantown. Alice loved reading the bible, being a wife, mother and grandmother, along with gardening, baking and crafts. She worked at Freimuth’s Department Store and Champion’s Children’s Home. She also worked along side her husband of 51 years, operating their family farm and forest products business.

She was active in 4-H Leadership and a member of North Shore Baptist Church. There is not enough to be said about her generosity and love for all.

She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; sisters, Caroline, Anna, Marie and Effie; brothers; Iver and John; stepson, George Jr; grandson, Allen and son-in-law, Marvin Crossmon.

She is survived by her daughters, Joan Crossmon of Duluth, Susan (Gerald) Crossmon of Ottumwa, Iowa, Margaret (Kenneth) Johnson of Hermantown, Bonnie Grubb of Duluth, Doris (Robert Jr) Siegle of Duluth and Barbara (Rick) Olson of Duluth; her son, Thomas (Debra) Cooke of Duluth; sister-in-law, Elizabeth “Bess” Robarge of Duluth; her grandchildren, Janet (Terry) Milich, Sharon (Kevin) Crossmon, Julie (Mike) Price, Thomas (Terri) Crossmon, Sandy (John) Haanstad, Daniel (Tammy) Crossmon, Roxanne (Scott) Herber, Connie (Jim) Horton, Michael (Suzanne) Johnson, Jeffrey Johnson, Kevin Johnson, Scott Grubb, Douglas (Kimberly) Grubb, Jason (Ginny) Siegle, Amy (Kevin) Bolin, Krystal Siegle, Tamera (Marc) Miller, Amanda Brown, Dean (Stephanie) Cooke, Tammy Twining, Jerilyn Leyendecker and Randy (Natasha) Leyendecker; stepdaughters, Marjorie Lawrey of Duluth, Kay Cooke of Rye, Colo., Donna (Al) Pomeroy of Superior, Wis., Joanne (Luverne) Ruberg of Saginaw, Minn., Evelyn Holte of Duluth, MaryLee (Ronald) Wiseman of Two Harbors; stepsons, David (Lone) Cooke of Duluth and Gerald (Sue) Cooke of Texas; 34 step-grandchildren, 91 great-grandchildren, 38 great-great-grandchildren; numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.

We would like to thank the staffs at Edgewood Vista, especially Ellen, Lori, Liz and Marianna and St. Mary's Hospice for all of their loving care.

VISITATION: 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday in Williams-Lobermeier Funeral Home and will continue from 10 until the 11 a.m. funeral service Wednesday in North Shore Community Church. 15 South Lakewood Road. Burial at Normanna Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred. Arrangements by Williams-Lobermeier Funeral Home.

torggy

Post Number: 1381

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bruce W. Johnson, 71, of Ely, Minn., passed away Monday, April 27, 2009 at St. Mary’s Medical Center with his loving wife at his side.

He was born April 13, 1938 in Duluth to Walter and Ruth Johnson.

Bruce was a 1956 graduate of Clover Valley High School and the Cary Gaspard Business School. On Sept. 24, 1966 Bruce married Carolyn J. Nelson. He was a clerk in the Maintenance Dept. of Reserve Mining before retiring in 1986.

Bruce was a member of the Ely Masonic Lodge 288 and also a 14th Degree Royal Arch Mason.

Bruce was preceded in death by his parents.

He is survived by his wife, Carolyn; daughter, Michele, of Murfreesboro, Tenn.; brother, Ray (Gail) Johnson; sister, Judy (Kenneth) Johnson; and other relatives and friends.

PRIVATE FAMILY SERVICE: will be held in the Jarvi Dowd Funeral Home. Memorials are preferred in lieu of flowers.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1177

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know he didn't graduate or go to CV, but the Jackson's certainly are well known family in the CV/French River area.

BRADLEY SCOTT JACKSON
Bradley Scott Jackson, 46, of Avella Pa.

Bradley Scott Jackson, 46, of Avella Pa., passed away on Monday, May 11, 2009 in Washington, Pa.

He was born March, 1, 1963 in Two Harbors, Minn.

He is survived by a son, Nathan Jackson, of Avella, Pa.; a step-son, Steve; mother Ella Jackson; father Lyle Jackson; sister, Valerie Jackson; brothers, Douglas (Carrie) Jackson, Mark (Rachel) Jackson; grandmother, Cecila Jackson all of Duluth. Also many nieces nephews and lots of cousins.

VISITATION: 10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. Memorial Service May 20, 2009 at Knife River Lutheran Church.

torggy

Post Number: 1382

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie, I missed that. Only 46, way to young. My condolances to the Jackson family.

Jacksons were a big part of French River. Most of us had our paper delivered by one for years.

There were lots of them. His father was Lyle, is Lyle a brother to Leslie and David?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1178

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My aunt had told me about his death, so I was looking for the obit to come in the paper.
I have no idea who Lyle's brothers are, there are so many Jackson's. LWM certainly would know.

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyle had two sister,s Marlyn(Jackson)Flatley, a
younger one and a brother Ray. Marlyn was in my class. 1955

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1181

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to hear from you again dab, how you doing?
Have you talked to my uncle lately?

lovin
Rookie Poster
Username: lovin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all! I found this forum a few months back. I come here all the time to keep up on past and present doins up there. I try to figure out who is who coz I've heard all these names for years.
I'm Kim. My Mom is Phyllis(Jackson)Olmstead.
And if I may cut in, Lyle is the cousin to Moms side of the family. Brad's brother Mark was in my class. I graduated in 1988.
Anywho, I'd just like to say, I love this site. I love looking thru the old pics of the shore and places like Wonderland. I think I've read thru just bout every post.
Every name I see brings back some kind of memory. And sorry to say, many names of dear ones I didn't even know had passed.
So, thank you for putting up this site and letting me into your world.

torggy

Post Number: 1384

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad ya found us Lovin. Plese feel free to add any of your own stories.

The Jackson clan is rather large and hard for us us outsiders to keep track of. Thanks for the update.

Dab, thanks for the info. Good to hear from ya. Captian Nylen said that Lyle and family lived up off the Old North Shore road.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1186

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of you may have know this woman. Where is the "Pines". I can't place it. I know her nephew Ted Laiti though.

Carrie Marie Anderson, 94, formerly of Ryan Rd., died Saturday, May 23, 2009 at Edgewood Vista Assisted Living in Hermantown.

She was born April 30, 1915 in Ely, Minn. to Andrew and Mina (Erickson) Westman.

Carrie was a 1932 graduate of Denfeld High School. She married Rudolph G. Anderson, and for many years they managed the "Pines" on Scenic Hwy 61. Carrie had worked for the Radisson Hotel for many years, retiring from there as Supervisor of Housekeeping.

She was a member of French River Lutheran Church and Lakewood Homesteaders.

Carrie was preceded in death by her parents, her brother, Felix; her four sisters, Signe, Sadie, Elsie, and Ruth; and by her husband, Rudolph.

She is survived by her nieces, Lois (Dennis) Krueth and Carol (Bruce) Stockman, both of Duluth, Barbara (George) Skrbich of Minneapolis; her nephew, Theodore (Mabel) Laite of Duluth; three great-nephews, Paul, Darin, and Louis; one great-great nephew, Jonathan; and a special friend, John (Cookie) Bowen of Duluth.

GATHERING OF FRIENDS: 10 a.m. Friday until the 11 a.m. memorial service in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Rd. Memorials may be directed to French River Lutheran Church. Inurnment will be at Park Hill Cemetery

torggy

Post Number: 1386

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting that Blondie.

I have not heard of "The Pines" either. Maybe one of our lurkers well drop me an email and enlighten us.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1187

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM said he tried to post a response to that obit, but kept getting error messages. But this is what he said.

I wrote an answer to who where the Pines was. It was just west of where the safe harbor is. It was a gift shop but I believe it is closed now.

} I know there is was a gift shop, and know we had talked about it on a previous thread. It is right on the corner. Gee, its name escapes me now....senior moment!!

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the Pines but I have to ask LWM if that is even possible. Wasn't it next to the restaurant that Karen Strand's mother owned - not far from the McQuade?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1190

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I meant to say right on the curve, not corner.
It was by the McQuade, west(heading towards duluth) of it. My aunt also said the same as LWM, she was trying to explain it to me. The safe harbor took out the whole Fish Fry and some cabins next to it.

torggy

Post Number: 1387

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a picture of the tourist court and gift shop just to the Duluth side of the McQuade road and on the corner before that long straight stretch. It had several names over time. Could one of them been The Pines? In the picture it is called Elmgrens.

elmgrens

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1191

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"on the beautiful cool North Shore Drive"!!! That is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That doesn't look like the gift shop, but I am sure it was remodeled over the years.

LWM you should know if this is the Pines, I sure don't. Torggy I figured you would come up with something eventually. Was there any date for this?

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 149

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recognize this, Torggy. The Fish Fry was on the corner of McQuade across from the McQuade store on the Duluth Side. Strand's was south of that and then the Pines was next door to them - if memory services me correctly.

torggy

Post Number: 1388

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No date but the place went through many rebuilds. I remember it as a gift shop growing up. I also remember it having alot more Pine trees around it than the picture shows. Also they took allot of liberties in those days to "doctor" the picture to make the place look better. I think that Gravell owned it for a few years. It is just around the corner from McQuade road. Not much place for there to be much else between there and the Fish Fry but allot of things came and went in that area. Have to ask the parents next time I talk to them.

Speaking of the Fish Fry:
fish fry

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1192

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a neat picture, just how I remember it!
Torggy, LWM, keeps having problems posting on here, this is what he said.

I tried to post again and got that servor error message. That photo is Elmgren's Motel. I knew Judy Elmgren. She had an older brother Dudley who is or was a dentist.

That place is currently the Gardenwood Motel and was up for sale last summer. I think the Ranch House started in the old Pines but not positive. They eventually ended up about a block west of Spruce Court Road. The building was moved out of there---I think!

DAB might have known the Elmgrens. Fish Fry was owned by Claude Midlam. His son Fred owned the store across from the Fish Fry. Carl Bergquist had a Kaiser dealership in what became Clifton Fire Dept. right next door to Midlam's Store.

Boon, we have 101 degrees today, how are you guys doin over there in Windsor?

}Wow, didn't know about the Kaiser dealership at all.}

torggy

Post Number: 1389

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not know what LMW's problem could be. I well do what I can.

So where did the Pines start at then? Was it between Strands and Elmgrens? There were so many business that came and went in that area. And the Ranch House? Don't think I have heard of that one. Gotta talk to the Parents this weekend. Gonna have a list of questions.

Remember when the Castle looked like this:
lakeview castle

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 822

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dudley Elmgren lives in Brimson these days. I know his daughter Julie.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: As you look at Elmgrens the Pines would be to the left or towards Duluth. It sat about right on the curve. This was one of our watering
holes. They also had cabins in the rear.The place was owned by Ma Forrest who owned the Forrest Inn. She hired people to run it during the season and was closed during the winter.

dab
Regular Poster

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: I also knew Rudy&Carrie Anderson. They lived next or to the left facing the parsonage on the Ryan road. It was a small two bedroom house and is still there or was in 2000. Rudy drove truck when work was available or delivered fuel oil for Carl Anderson who also owned the store. Carrie worked at Maurice's woman's store

torggy

Post Number: 1390

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks DAB, that sure helps explain it. I used to deliver papers in that area. Was "the Pines" before or after that little road that leaves 61 and turns back to Mcquade? Danged if I can remember that road's name right now.

Ma Forest, there's a term I have not heard in a long time. Used to deliver papers to the Forest Inn too. What a cool little bar that was in its day. All the knotty pine. Used to be hunting clubs would meet there and watch films. Had the bridge over the Talmadge to the cabins. Hatake(sp) owned it when I was there, then Bumgardner bought it. Wish I could find a picture of that place when it looked good. If anyone has one please send it to me.

Funny story, one time while I was still underage, a buddy came back on military leave and those at the Forest Inn accepted his military ID and sold him beer. While I was parked in the parking lot waiting for him to come out Constable Christiansen went by and noticed my car. Well, we got up the McQuade to almost the new highway and he stopped us. Of the case of beer we bought he let us keep one six pack. Guess he figured 4 guys would not get in to much trouble with six beers. Won't get that kind of treatment now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1194

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dab, that must be the white building now that was a gift shop, right on the curve. Seems to me there was a fire in it last year or year before, but could be wrong on that. Not sure if that is even open anymore. I know there were some cabins back in there.

LWM said that the church bought that house and tore it down last summer that Rudy & Carrie lived in.

Torggy, I can't remember the castle looking like that, the way it is now is so in my mind.
Funny how some things, places, etc, a person can remember so well, then others are a blur or not at all there. That is why I enjoy this forum, someone out there can always refresh our memories.

So Dudley was the owner then of Elmgrens? He must be up there in age!

torggy

Post Number: 1391

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can remember Lakeview Castle before the Hotel was built.

Here is a pic of one of the cabins:
lakeview castle cabin

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 150

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Judging by the vehicle passing by in front of the Fish Fry I'd say that picture was taken in 1957!! And, it's gorgeous. So hard to imagine McQuade as a dirt road. I used to work at the Fish Fry for Claude. I used to work at Shorecrest as well and that's exactly how I remember it. Thank you, Torggy.

dab
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, Dudley was the son to the owner's back in the 50's. He married a sister to a guy that graduated frm CV in 1952. Dudley was a Dentist and they lived elsewhere after marriage. I think Elmgrens was sold after 1962.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ella Jackson is my first cousin I only remember Bradley when he was younger and I would babtsit some times as we grow up we just drift apart

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1241

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My condolences to Howard Nopola who lost his wife Sharon.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Nygard passed away at the age of 91. He was math and science teacher at C.V. He was a really nice guy. I will always remember his grin

torggy

Post Number: 1400

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw the Nygard obit but thought it must be someone else. Thanks for the heads up Cindy.

I never knew he had such an lustrous military career. He went to West Point and did some pretty secret stuff in WWII.

Read the obit at:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/125787/

torggy

Post Number: 1401

Posted on Tuesday, July 21, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this picture of Mr. Nygard from the 1969 year book:

Mr. Nygard

hap
Pro Poster
Username: hap

Post Number: 58

Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, you think you could find any Clover Valley pictures of when Olaf Gunderson attended? By the way....how are YOU??:-)

hap
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realized this may not be the right place to post this....sorry!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1242

Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Nygard is not familiar to me, he must have come to CV after I left.

torggy

Post Number: 1402

Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hap, unfortunately the only annual I have is for my senior year. Olaf graduated the year before me so I have no pictures of him. Sorry. The last I knew he was married to one of my classmates, one of the Stromgren twins.

Doing great here myself. Hope life in Misery is doing okay for you.

Blondie, the obit says Mr. Nygard went back to school in 1965 and became a teacher after the military, so that would put him at CV after you graduated.

hap
Pro Poster

Post Number: 60

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks anyway, Torgg! Glad to hear life is good for you and yours....Misery is just that..nahh, life is great!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 117

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CYNTHIA OLSON
Cynthia Olson, 53, died Wednesday July 22, 2009.

Cynthia Olson, 53, died Wednesday July 22, 2009.

She was born May 18, 1956 in Minneapolis, to Barbara and Gerald Compton.

She is preceded in death by her grandparents, Bud and Isabelle Hermanson, and Elsie Nordstrom.

Cynthia is survived by her daughter, Katherine Olson; her parents; two brothers, Doug (Lynne) Compton, Dan (Michelle) Compton; sister, Maria Cooper; many nieces and nephews, extended family and friends.

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 1 p.m. Tuesday July 28, 2009 in the Cremation Society of MN, 4100 Grand Ave, Duluth MN.

Prayeres out to the Compton family for their lost.

torggy

Post Number: 1414

Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ann C. Johns, of Duluth, went to be with the Lord Sept. 8, 2009.

She was a graduate of Clover Valley High School.

Ann is preceded in death by her father, Ervin Johns, Sr. and baby sister.

She is survived by her mother, Marcella Johns; siblings, Liz (Tim) VanGuilder, Sue (Rick) Godden, Jane (Don) Bloom, Skip Johns, Cella (Dave) Stewart, Alex (Penny) Johns, Fred (Rebecca) Johns; special aunt, Mary Lou; many nieces and nephews; and special friends, Barb and John.

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009 in Cremation Society of MN, 4100 Grand Ave, Duluth. Luncheon at Northwoods Island Lake (Porky’s) at 3:30 p.m. Services entrusted to Cremation Society of Minnesota, 624-5200.

torggy

Post Number: 1415

Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I graduated with Ann. My deepest condolances to the family.

That makes two, that I know of, from my graduating class that have passed.

normafromduluth
Rookie Poster
Username: normafromduluth

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi One and All---You're doing great on the identification of the photos. We're passing them around the neighborhood, and everyone is having a lot of fun. Daughter Ann told me that the photo of the little guy is Ken Truscott---he was mascot for CV. We'll keep working on them. Norma L.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rosemarie "Granny" Oman, 50 of Lakewood, died on Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009 at St. Mary's Medical Center with family by her side.

Rose was born on Oct. 5, 1959 to Robert and Anna Mae Viergutz.

She attended Clover Valley School and graduated from Two Harbors High School. She was united in marriage on March 25, 1978 to David Arthur Oman, Sr. in Duluth.

Rose was employed with ABC Community Services and worked as a Deli Manager for Jubilee Foods for many years.

She enjoyed camping, collecting angels, gardening, cooking and spending time with her family and friends.

Rose was preceded in death by her parents, Robert and Anna Mae Viergutz and her son Charles Axel Oman.

Rose is survived by her husband of 31 years, David, Sr.; her children, David, Jr. (Amber) Oman of Reedsburg, Wis., Carla (Donald) Halverson, Dennis (Ebony) Oman, Eddy (Amy) Oman and August Oman all of Duluth; her brothers, Wesley (Barb) Viergutz of Duluth; Robert, Jr. (Debbie) Viergutz of Thompson Falls, Mont.; her sisters, Carol (Robert) Scholar of Two Harbors, Minn., Theresa Maki of Cloquet, Minn., Gwen (Kenneth) Thomas of Buckeye, Ariz.; 10 grandchildren; many nieces and nephews and her loving dogs Myla and Rosco.

MASS OF CHRISTIAN BURIAL: 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 10, 2009 in the St. Michael's Catholic Church in Duluth. A visitation will be held one hour prior to the funeral in the church. Interment will be held at a later date at Park Hill Cemetery in Duluth. Arrangements entrusted to the Dougherty Funeral Home

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1325

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They used to live just above my grandma's house. Sympathy to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1420

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for catching that Max.

I went to school with her brother, Bob. Bob used to make lots of visits to Mr. Borkens office.

(Message edited by torggy on October 08, 2009)

hap
Pro Poster

Post Number: 64

Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the post....graduated with Rosie. Thoughts and prayers to her family.

torggy

Post Number: 1422

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure if there is a connection to CV here or not. But I see "Connie" listed as a brother and I believe I went to school with him.

Larry Sunde, 60, of North 42nd Ave West, died Saturday, Oct 10, 2009 in the VA Hospital in Minneapolis.

Larry was born on Sept. 11, 1949 to Alfred and Ruth (White) Sunde in Duluth.

He served in the U.S. Marines during the Vietnam War and was a crane operator for the Local 49ers in Duluth. Larry was a hard worker and enjoyed his day off spending time with his family. He married Diana Landry on Nov. 20, 2006 in Duluth.

He was preceded in death by his parents, his stepfather, Norman Rindall and his nephew, Allen Sunde.

He is survived by his wife, Diana; his children, Robert Sunde of Duluth, Jennifer Sunde of Superior and Brian Sunde of Brandon, Miss.; two stepdaughters, Destiny Landry and Ariana Landry both of Pekin, Ill.; two brothers, Willard (Cathy) Sunde of Duluth and Don (Connie) Sunde of Washington; a half sister, Bonnie (Dan) Potthoff of Princeton, Ill.; 11 grandchildren, many nieces, nephews and dear friends.

GATHERING OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS: 5 p.m. until the 6 p.m. memorial service Wednesday, Oct 14, 2009 in Williams Lobermeier Funeral Home. Rev Bridget Strudwick officiating. Military honors accorded by the Duluth Combined Honor Guard. Memorials to the Fisher House Foundation, One Veterans Drive, Mpls MN 55417, would be greatly appreciated. Arrangements by Williams Lobermeier Funeral Home.

bigguy
Regular Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was a cousin to Connie Sunde. They grew up on the corner of the Old North Shore Road and the McDonald Rd, just east of the Lakewood Road. They went to school in Duluth.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1335

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

say there is a Kathleen Kehoe in the obits also, and I know we had Kehoe kids at school, (like Jimmy) wondering if this is the same family.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 155

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, both Connie and Olaf were cousins to Larry. The last time I saw Larry was when he was stationed in San Diego just before he left for Viet Nam. My condolences to his family.

hap
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My grandmother was Lida (Sunde) Fransen....I believe Larry's father was her brother... my prayers go out to all the family members....

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that is the Kehoe family we went to school with. Betty was part of my class of 1960.

Hap, are you Linda's son?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1336

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I would put her obit in, sympathy to the family.

Kathleen M. Kehoe, 61, of Belchertown, Mass., died Thursday, Oct. 8, 2009 in her home.

She was born July 27, 1948 in Duluth to George and Elvira (Niemi) Kehoe.

She worked as a bookkeeper at Duluth Typewriter, and then Modern Machine in Minneapolis. She was a member of the New Birth Christian Church in Thorndike, Mass. Kathleen enjoyed ice skating, bowling and reading.

She was preceded in death by her parents.

Kathleen is survived by her sons, Michael Klingelhoets of Minneapolis and Patrick Klingelhoets of Blaine, Minn.; brothers, Timothy, James, John, Robert, Dennis, Patrick; sisters, Sharon Shykes, Betty Lathrop, Lois Owen, Margaret Hermanson, Diane Nesgoda, Susan Snider, and Joan Ide.

VISITATION: 11 a.m. Wednesday until the 12 noon Funeral Service in Dougherty Funeral Home. Interment at Forest Hill Cemetery. Arrangements by Dougherty Funeral Home, 600 E. Second St., Duluth, 218-727-3555.

hap
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy...Linda is my aunt....Sonny was my dad. :-)

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I'm sure you noticed I spend my summers in Knife River-my dad's home. Haven't seen Les and Carol for a couple of years. Saw Judy in Super one in T.H. a couple of times. Do you know Randy Ellestad?

torggy

Post Number: 1423

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alice S. (Hansen) Marple, 87, of Duluth, died Monday, Oct. 26, 2009 at Benedictine Health Care Center.

She was born Aug. 22, 1922 in Morris Township, Minn., to Frederick and Cora (Burres) Hansen.

She married Everett Marple on July 27, 1940. She was a homemaker and later she owned Lakeside Furs and Lakeview Dry Cleaners with her husband Everett. She was an active member of French River Lutheran Church, the Altar Guild and Mothers of Multiples. She was an accomplished artist and photographer, baker and flower gardener. Alice enjoyed traveling with Everett later in life. She will be remembered for her sassy humor and quick wit.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Everett; parents; siblings, Arnold, Harold, Robert, Mildred and Martha.

Alice is survived by her sons, Allen "Butch" (Beverly) of Wasilla, Alaska, Darwin (Maureen) of Duluth, Thomas (Shelly) of Mandan, N.D., Kurt (Elaine) Buffalo, Minn.; daughters, Joan Moldenhauer of Jamestown, N.D., Tamara (Brian) Morse of Duluth; aunt, Mildred Hansen; 15 grandchildren; 23 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.

A special thanks to the entire staff at the Benedictine Health Care Center for their love and care given to Alice.

FUNERAL SERVICE: 1 p.m. Thursday with a visitation one hour prior to the service. Entombment at Sunrise Memorial Park. Memorials preferred to the activities dept. at Benedictine Health Care Center. Arrangements by Dougherty Funeral Home, 600 E. 2nd St. Duluth, MN 55805, 218-727-3555

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1343

Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Butch was in my class. I sure didn't realize he had so many siblings. Remember Darwin and that is it.
Sympathy to the family.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember having my letter jacket dry cleaned at their place. Tom and Tammy were in my class. My thoughts and prayers go out their family.

I still remember running into Everett out deer hunting one year. He was still out near the road but couldn't go into too deep because of his health. I told him if I heard him shoot, I would come check on him. I don't remember which year this was.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157

Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darwin graduated a year ahead of me. My condolences to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1424

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vivian A. Hill, 84, Duluth, formerly of French River, died Oct. 27, 2009 at Chris Jensen Nursing Home surrounded by her family.

She was born in Duluth on Dec. 18, 1924 to Jacob and Lydia Kyllonen.

Vivian married Edward Hill on April 23, 1949. She was a homemaker and liked to garden. She loved to go to dances at the Rainbow Center where she lived for 15 years. Vivian loved playing scrabble with her friend, Eva. She was a loving wife, mother and grandmother.

She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; and sister, Doris Budimir.

She is survived by her daughters, Lydia (Wally) Gould, Proctor, Lynda Towle, Duluth, Darlene Ketchum, Duluth; son, Robert (Melanie) Hill, Duluth; sister, Margie Teitelbaum, Duluth; brother, Ray Kyllonen, Duluth; grandchildren, Jen Anderson, Autumn Towle, Sara Barnes and Kyle and Shane Gould; great-grandchildren, Jasmine, Brady and McKenna.

The family extends a special thank you to the staff at Chris Jensen for the wonderful care Vivian received.

PRIVATE FAMILY SERVICES: will be held at a later date. Arrangements by Williams-Lobermeier Funeral Home.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1347

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My deepest sympathy to the family, they didn't live too far from where I did, and I remember the older kids on my bus. Also one of the twins worked where I worked for a time and also took care of my grandma down at Lakeshore.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't they live up on the Korkki Road across the field from Pavlisichs? I remember a little boy getting on the bus there and his name was Hill.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1348

Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, just past the curve there. Their house was set off the road a little. That would have been Robert.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lily Hansen passed away on Dec. 14.

torggy

Post Number: 1436

Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lily A. Hanson, 82 of Duluth, formerly of Port Charlotte Fla., died Dec. 14, 2009 at St Mary's Medical Center.

Lily was born Feb. 2, 1927 in Lidorika, Greece; to Andreas and Zoe (Kaniou) Timbeli.

She graduated from Athens High School in 1943, and attended teachers college. She worked for the United Nations RRA as an interpreter where she met and married Alfred Hanson. She came to America in 1947. They owned and operated Hanson Drapery until 1984.

She is preceded in death by her husband, Alfred; her parents; sisters, Daphne Sternberg, Nina Sternberg; brothers, Chrysanthos, Haralambas and Nick Timbeli and one son-in-law Dennis Raatz.

Survivors include sons, Andy (Dorothy) Hanson, Athens Tenn., Phillip (Jan) Hanson, Duluth; daughter, Darlene (Marty) Tlachac, Chippewa Falls Wis.; brother, Zoe (Sally) Tempelis, Superior Wis.; sisters, Chrysavgi Timbelli, Port Charlotte Fla., Zoi Tembeli, Greece; foster children, Richard (Kathy) Bastian, John Bastian, Candace McMillen; grandchildren, Jeff, Lavonne, Angela, Tanya, Daniel, Denise, Mandi, Leilani, Doreen, Michael and Sarah; great grandchildren, Jesse, Alexander, Joshua, Macray, Sierra, Micah, Jeremiah, Dayanera, Selena, Jacynda, Elizabeth, Elise, Desaree, Lily, Grace, Matthew, Jared, Joseph, and Jacob; foster grandchildren, Christopher, Cyndy, David, Matthew, April, Desiree, Amber, Sabrina, James.

FUNERAL SERVICE: 11 a.m. Thursday, Dec.17, 2009 in First Memorial Funeral Chapel, 4100 Grand Ave, Duluth. Visitation one hour prior to service. Interment at Lakeview Cemetery in Duluth Township off of the North Shore

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1394

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might be mistaken, but seemed to me at one time they lived on the Ryan Road, not far from where I lived. If she is the one I am thinking of, she was very pretty. I remember at that time two boys.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 165

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Andrew and Phillip both went to Clover Valley. Andrew, I think, graduated in 66 and Phillip in 68. Her nephew, Andrew Sternberg, also was at Clover Valley and he was in Phillip's grade. I think his name was Andrew. I remember all three well. Andy and Phillip lived off of the Ryan Road. You could see their house from the freeway.

My condolences to the family.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1395

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon what house was that? when I knew the family they lived about 5 miles up the Ryan past the North Shore school, just prior to the big curve that went towards Bloomingdale and Nolte's store, that area.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 166

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about 5 miles up the Ryan Road but I remember the bus driving dropping the boys off in front (before the freeway was finished) and they hiked up the hill to the house. There are a couple of houses on the southside of the Ryan and one of them was Andrew's and Phillip's. That's my take on it.

Maybe Torggy can help out here.

(Message edited by boon on December 18, 2009)

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll help you out here. They lived on the Ryan, first house after you cross the river heading toward Blondies house. Jerry and Harriet Driscoll lived there before they moved to the house he is in now.

After that, they moved to the Lismore Road west of the Lakewood road, over the hill, just before the road turns south.

Phillip Hanson has the B&B on the Berquist Road, right where the Berquist homestead was.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1396

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is what I remember Bigguy. I remember when they moved on the corner of the Lismore, nice house there, Emily Hiltunen used to live in a small house prior to that, maybe two houses prior. Emily and June.

Actually their house was almost across the road from Erickson's, just before the old Sucker River Bridge as you were heading down the Ryan, it was right by the road.
I didn't know Harriet and Jerry once lived there. Jerry still lives in my house.

Oh I know where that B&B is on the Berquist Road.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Jerry and Harriet built that house-don't quote me on that. Ask Howard, he'll know.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1397

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which house? That house that Hanson's lived in was there for many years. I remember VanGuilders living there prior. The house was remodeled a few times. Jerry and Harriet lived up near the Rossini Road for years.
The one they live in now my dad built.

torggy

Post Number: 1437

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andy Sternberg graduated with me in 1969. There was not a Hanson in our class. Unless Sternberg got set back somewhere along the way.

I did not know Sternberg had cousins that went to CV though. Bit of trivia there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1398

Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found Andrew Hanson in my year book, he would have graduated in 66.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, I believe that house was built after the Van Guilders. It seems to me there was an older house somewhere in that area. Too far back to really recall!

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My folks called and said Steve "Shita" Hanson died Christmas Eve day from health issues. Lots of fond memories of Steve from school.

Prayers with the family.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1409

Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sparky I can't place this person, how old was he?

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 123

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve was in the class of 75. Played goalie for Two Harbors.

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, Steve was 53 and was twin brother of Stan. Has a younger brother Boyd. All good athletes at THHS. The family is from Knife River. I think they were involved with Bruce Eckstrum in the smoked fish store.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 841

Posted on Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve's sister Lynn is married to Bruce Ekstrom.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 126

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got this from the News Tribune web site. Sorry no link attached.

Marjorie “Marge” Toelcke, 56, of Duluth, passed away on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2010.

Marjorie Ann Potter was born in Duluth on May 28, 1953 to Charles and Marjorie (Olson) Potter.

She attended and graduated from Clover Valley High School. She worked as a waitress for many years of her life. Marge enjoyed people and she was known to be kind, supportive and only a phone call away. She will be remembered for her bubbly, kind, and humorous nature which put smiles on faces and laughter in the air.

She is preceded in death by her mother and son-in-law, Scott Stewart.

Marge is survived by daughters, Tera Stewart of Cloquet and Julie (Jason) Sumner of Mountain Lake, Minn.; grandchildren, Donovon Downing, Sarah Stewart and Wayne Dale; sister, Pennie (Jim) Olson of Ga.; brothers, Mike (Deb) Potter of Neb., Gordy (Kathy) Potter of Wis.; father, Charles “Bud” (Dorothy Sumner) Potter of Duluth as well as many wonderful nieces, nephews, other family members and friends.

MEMORIAL SERVICE: 1 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 15

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 167

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Maxx - I graduated with Mike Potter. My condolences to their family.

torggy

Post Number: 1444

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for Catching that Max.
I found this picture of Marjorie from her Sophmore year.
Marjorie Potter

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 168

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm unable to open the picture up, Torggy.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 169

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just took awhile for it to come on the screen. Thank you very much.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 127

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess you guys keep a close eye for new postings. I was messing with my profile. There was a more current photo in the paper. I am not sure where she worked but I knew the face. I don't remember her from school since I was a snot nose 7th grader at the time if she was the class of 71.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration