Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * "I remember one day in the Valley" < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 89

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok Scotty, Here is your thread you wanted.

I remember one day when the fire alarm was pulled and the some of Senior guys left the locker room with only towels and Hmmmm Senior gals waiting outside the door?

scotty
Regular Poster
Username: scotty

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Maxx, I think I recall that day with the fire alarm or maybe I saw a picture, hummm funny the way that happened. I remember one day walking outside and finding a VW bug on the top stair/landing, yes I mean top, at the old entrance. I think it was Mrs. Pokorney's (sorry for spelling) how did that ever get up there I wonder....

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember that Mrs. Knucky's bug was place outside Vern Nelson's room. That I thought was the old coal shoot for the boilers.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumping out of Mr. G's window and running back into the classroom while Mr. G was out of the room.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 573

Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has really nothing to do with this thread, but thought I would put it in here. A friend sent this to me today, so thought I would share it.
I remember going to the Armory, saw a rock group called the Big Beats, and have a picture of myself and the lead singer Larry Randall. Also remember seeing Johnny Cash there.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/rss.cfm?id=60894

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to explain why I wanted this thread.
It's because of the memories I have and I know a lot of other people have of growing up in the Valley, not just at School but of life growing up in that time and era. Stories of times that told around a campfire would get a good laugh or a "I remember that old tire swing or old car etc." response. I think the 60's and 70's were what I consider the end of the innocent "Norman Rockwell" era. I think people have a lot of stories that should be remembered. Things seem to have changed in the years that followed. Not that good times ended but I think the innocent, didn't have to watch out so much time ended. I used to be able to hitch hike all over the place and never even thought about the stranger that might be picking me up, you wouldn't do that now. So my hope for this thread is to tell about the good and bad times that someone might get a chuckle or a full belly laugh out of, your kids or grandkids might someday find this and say "They sure were crazy but they had some fun back then". I guess that's it, I would hope for this to be the C.V. campfire we can all be sitting around enjoying.
So my next writing will be "I remember one day in the Valley when the Great Halloween Pumpkin had a run in with the LAW".....and I think we all remember Rick and Jay....

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 579

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty you don't have to explain why you wanted this thread.
I have been searching my memory bank, and can't say I have any memories yet that are worth putting on here even. But, I will keep searching.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First, sorry Mom.
One day in the Valley a long time ago, bout 40 years now I recken have passed since the Great Pumpkin came visiting the Valley on a Halloween night. I remember it even though I was just a little kid, seared into my memory forever. (Although some corrections could be forthcoming) I won't use any first names in this because there still could be legale issues pending, But I can tell you this there were Nesgodas and Cartwrights and probably another tag alone or two involved, about a half dozen of us just hanging around at the store one Halloween night thinking of what kind of mischife we could get into. Well there really wasn't much going on everybody was off to town trick or treating. Well being it was Halloween I went over to Al and Anna Mae's to get some candy, "Trick or Treat" I said as Al opened the door, he laughed (I had no costume on) Al gave me lots of candy knowing there were others too, I am sure they were watching us out the window. As I started to walk away Al said "Hey Scotty, do want a pumpkin?" Naw no thanks Al, I don't know what I would do with it! So when I got back over to the store and was sharing my good candy fortune someone said "what did Al want? Aw he just wanted to know if I wanted a pumpkin. A pumpkin they said, hey we could have fun with that so back I went to Al's and asked for the pumpkin after all, when I got back to the store someone whips out a toad stabber and away we go to make the scarriest pumpkin in the Valley. Well we get it all carved out but now what do we do for a candle, Huummmm, hey the gas pumps someone say's, drain a little gas out of the hose into the pumpkin, that will work. Alright, a plan, and a good one too were thinking. So our first victume er car come along and we put the pumpkin out on the road and light it up, Wah Hooo everybody run's and hides. Well the car drives up to the stop sign, turns the corner and drives off towards T.H. Nothing, no panic look not even a roll the window down and look, they acted like our great scary pumpkin didn't even excist. Well we knew that had to change, we needed something more to put the fear in them. A new plan, we'll put a bit more gas in the pumpkin this time and take it farther down the road toward the High School so when a car came along he would practically have to go on the shoulder to get around it, this will make an impression. (Now at this point I see 2 critical mistakes were made, first kids don't know the meaning of a little more and longer term planning is none existant) So know we have more gas in the pumpkin we go down the road a way's and wait for our next car. Alright here one come's, everybody in the ditch, light it up, hurry, hurry..... KABOOM goes the pumpkin, HOLY COW LOOK AT THAT, There must be Flame shooting 20 feet in the air, Everything around us is light up like you had flood light's on. It was about that time that someone shouted out "IT'S THE COPS" about that same time the cherry's came on. You have never heard of so much brush crashing as we were heading into the deep woods, oh did I mention the planning ahead part? If you remember that part of the woods is a big old wet cedar swamp, we were sloshing through swamp water and ceder trees and alder brush, definatley not a clean escape. They sat on the road shinning there spot light in the woods looking for us for what seemed like forever, then put some fire killer on our pumpkin and kicked it in the ditch then drove off to the store. Someone (I don't remember who) had the kahunahs to run back out there, put it back on the road, light it up and head back into the woods. Here they come again only this time they did sit there forever, I remember it was late and I was wet and frezzing, but I must admit, I still chuckle every now and again about that Halloween night back in the Valley.....

perry
Rookie Poster
Username: perry

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was June, 1966. We were happy when school let out for the year, and now, late on a warm afternoon, seven or eight of us country kids were back behind the school, no parents, no coaches, with softballs, bats, and gloves.

It was warm enough for t-shirts, but the air was dry, not humid like midsummer, and the sky was clear. The sun was behind the treetops west of the infield.

There werenít enough for teams, so we rotated through the positions, with two or three of us ďupĒ at a time. There werenít enough of us to cover the field. With two or three on offense, we had a pitcher, a first baseman, two infielders on the left side, and a left fielder. A ball hit through the infield or in the air to right field was an automatic out.

John Heise was with us. John was quiet and strong, and a lot of us didnít know what to make of him. He never had a real chance to go to school, and he never had a chance to play in any sports. This was the first time John had been asked to try to bat a ball. He stood on the right handersí side of the plate, but he held the bat with his left hand above the right, cross handed. I suppose that was the way he held an axe. We tried to get him to switch, told him he never get a hit his way, but he persisted. He swung hard and missed on a pitch or two, and then he connected. The softball came off the bat with a loud thwack that I had never heard before from a softball. It flew high and long over the north goalposts, and landed in the tall grass. We looked for a while, but we never found that ball.

Ronnie Carlson came to the plate. We remember Ronnie as all loose joints and a cowlick, more comfortable with a library book than a baseball bat. He stood in to take his cuts at the ball, and Gronk Nesgoda started razzing him from the shortstop position, daring Ronnie to send the ball through the infield. Ronnie swung hard at the first pitch, and somewhere in the middle of the swing, the weight and momentum of the bat took control of things, Ronnie missed the pitch, and the swinging bat pulled Ronnie around in a circle. His legs crossed, then tangled, and he fell to the ground. Gronk raised the volume of his teasing. Ronnie got up, stood in at the plate, swung hard at the second pitch, missed the ball again and landed again in a heap in the batterís box. This time he didnít get up. His kneecap was dislocated, and through his pants we could see that it was hanging on the side of his leg. Gronk and a couple other guys gathered Ronnie up in the back seat of a car and drove him in to the emergency room in Two Harbors.

I stopped out at the house about a week later, and Ronnie was on crutches. He said that the doctor had been getting ready to take an x-ray, Gronk was poking at the painful knee with his fingers, and as Ronnie tried to move his leg away from Gronk, the kneecap slid back into place.

I last saw John in the fall of 1985, when he stopped at my dadís place to take a sauna. Ronnie died young in a work-related accident in the Cities. Gronk still lives in CV. I donít get up there very often anymore, and when Iíve knocked unannounced on his door, he hasnít been home.

Clover Valley lives on in stories.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great story Perry. Thank you for taking the time to share with all of us. I would like to take the time to "Welcome you" to Clover Valley's little slice of the web. I like Scotty's idea for this thread to get people to share their stories about life in the Valley.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 598

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

happy easter

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 600

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a nice lunch with two of my classmates, lots of memories were shared.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good chuckler Perry, brings back names and memories.
We called John "Creature", not in a bad tone he was and still is an interesting good guy.... Last I seen Gary, He was still smiling and happy, probably out fishing......
Write them memories down Blondie and share them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 604

Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scotty I am trying to recall memories, but can't hold a candle to what you boys/guys did!!! Mine are so boring.

Having lunch with a couple school friends, brought back a memory. My friend lived on a farm and had lots of horses. I used to go down there on my bike quite a bit in the summer.(I wondered all over the area on my bike, good grief now days, that would never happen...even if my granddaughter takes her bike to ride a little, I tell her to take her cell phone with!!!!)
Naturally she/friend grew up on horses, but I didn't. One time I remember so well, we went riding, bare back. As we got back closer to the barn the horse I was on, decided it wanted to get back to the barn pronto. I was yelling, "I am going to fall off"...my friend galloping along side yells, "hang onto the mane"...then she yells...."Duck". I did what she said, good thing I ducked that is all I can say!!!! Never again did I go bare back riding! My legs were shaking so bad when I got off, I was so scared. (now I couldn't even get up on a horse, without a ladder) If I didn't have a saddle after that forget it, I didn't ride. Actually horses and I don't get on too well, even with a saddle!

It was so much fun playing up in the haybarn, jumping in it, playing hide and seek. Laying in the hay talking. The smell of fresh cut hay was the best though, and softer to jump in! Fun memories.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember when we were kids going to the old gravel pit pond across from the church, south of the school and shoveling snow for what seemed like forever so we could have a patch of ice to skate on and play a hockey game on. It seem's like you would shovel for hours just to get a 20 by 30 patch. Next time you come back, it probably snowed again. Oh what I would of gave for a 4 wheeler with a blade back then.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 606

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was a kid, we used to live right on the Sucker River. I remember my dad always shoveled an area on the river for me to skate, as you said Scotty we would get snow, and my dad had to shovel all over again. Sometimes it was just way too much snow though to even bother with it, couldn't keep ahead of the game. Back then we used to get a lot of snow!
Then later years when we lived near Bloomingdale school, us kids from the area, used to walk over to skate at the rink there. (kids were the Mattsons and Holappa kids)

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 82

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Between 0 and 11 I grew up in Two Harbors and (at about age 5 we moved to Segogg.) I can remember the skating rink at the end of the road we lived on - 8th Ave - it had a pot belly stove to keep us warm and a large selection of candy was available to us for purchase. We used to play crack the whip and I was still so little that I wore two runner skates.

You guys are really digging deep for long ago memories....Thanks for this one. I had (almost) forgotten about it.

Blondie, you said Don maintained the rinks in the area (if I remember correctly). How did he ever keep the snow off so consistently. I remember berms of snow all around the rink.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 607

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I asked him how he kept the snow off....
"I blew it off"...that is what he said!!!

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a guy!!!!!!!! Tell him he's a smart alec!

So if it wasn't a zamboni, which would have been the size of the rink and I don't think they were even invented, yet, must have been a miniature snowblower. (I didn't know they were invented yet, either.) Anyway, thanks for the reply.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 608

Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I think he had a small tractor that did the job. I remember seeing him on a tractor...not sure about the Segog rink, but know the big rink used one.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM read passing on

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also remember skating at the North Shore Elementary rink, until I wiped out and cut my forehead open. At a young age I decided I was not a very good skater. Years later when CV high had the rink and I had practiced and practiced on the ponds I went out on the ice, hockey stick in hand ready to rock. Probably it would have been Stub's classman out there "76"ers, well I was rocking all right, those boys could skate, I sucked.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Kathy. My condolences to your family, to Uncle Lawrence especially. Tell him I'll see him in June.

perry
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coach Vern Eilola lived with his wife in one of the teachersí houses at the school. Their one daughter was born while they were at CV. Vern and his wife were from the Range. Her parents would visit sometimes, and her father liked to eat brook trout. The problem was, Vern couldnít catch any.

Vern tried to buy fish from me once or twice, but I told him that it would be against the law for me to sell game fish.

Then in the summer of 1963, he organized an outing. We boys were still a year or two short of having driverís licenses, and Vern drove around in his clean Chevrolet Impala to pick up Gary Nylen, Daryl Olson, Paul Johnson, Olaf Gunderson, and me, and he drove us to the school. We were there to play basketball in the gym, but the real reason for the trip was clear. We were told to bring our fishing gear. And the expected result was clear too. For the privilege of playing basketball indoors, and the pleasure of riding in his car, we were going fishing and we were going to give all our fish to Vern.

This was a late afternoon event. There was a turf war between Vern and custodian Dick Peterson, Vern thinking he should be able to use the school at his own initiative, and Dick thinking about the cleanliness and security of the building. Vern said weíd wait until Dick had left for the day, and then he gave us the school keys.

An hour later it was time to go fishing. It had been a dry month, and I worked hard to find what I thought was enough bait for my own use. Vern hadnít dug any worms for himself, and he asked, got sore, and eventually ordered me to give him some worms. The guy had a talent for asking for a personal favor, and then abusing the person he had asked.

Dark clouds were moving in from the west. We decided on a small stream that had two bridges about a quarter mile apart. We all piled into the car again, and headed north. From the lower bridge, Gary fished downstream alone, Paul and I fished up toward the upper bridge, Olaf, who didnít have a fishing rod with him, walked along with us, and Daryl and Vern took the car to the upper bridge and fished upstream from there.

A few minutes after Vern dropped us off, the clouds opened and we were in a heavy thunderstorm. We fished through the rain. The fish were brook trout, with the common size about nine to ten inches long. I caught a little fish and threw it back, and Paul said we shouldnít tell Vern about the little ones. We figured heíd keep anything he could get. We fished up toward the upper bridge. The rain lessened a little, and eventually slowed to a cold drizzle. We were cold and wet when we got to the locked car, and we leaned against the fenders and waited for Daryl and Vern to get back. Gary was waiting at the lower bridge.

Gary caught four or five brook trout. I caught four or five. Paul caught four or five, but one of his was a fine fourteen inch brown trout, and I still remember being a little jealous of him for catching that fish. Daryl had eight keepers. Vern caught one, about six and a half inches long.

I asked Daryl how Vern was to fish with, and he told me it was impossible to get him to catch a fish. He tried to instruct him, with no luck, and eventually he told Vern to go ahead and fish ahead of him, so Vern would have the first and best chance at all the pools. Daryl caught all his fish after Vern had already gone through. At one pool Vern laid his rod down on the ground to apply more mosquito repellant, and when he picked it up, his little fish was on. Vern told Daryl that the fish had swallowed the hook, so he might as well keep it.

We were wet and dirty. Back at the school, we opened our creels and gave Vern our fish. He abused us for having creels that smelled bad. Well, the creels were wet, and they will smell bad if theyíve been used enough. Vernís several year old creel didnít smell at all.

Vern left CV in the summer of 1966 to become the High School Principal in Proctor, and eventually the Superintendent of Schools there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 619

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See what I said, you boys have the most interesting stories.
I remember Mr. Eilola very well and his wife.
So did you ever play basketball that day or just fish for him?

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1067

Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry, both your stories have been great! Names we all know and locations in the valley. If you have any more please share.

Scotty, I think I am gonna try to burn a pumpkin with gas next year just to see what happens.

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KABOOM I tell you, KAABOOOOOOOMMMMMMM,

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great story Perry, I always wondered how many other students got some trout from the streams near the school.

I have a shop story. Mr. Lindquist was stuck or should I say teaching shop to my class. Doris Cooke was helping Mr. Lindquist keep an eye on us during class. Doris knew that we would press our behavior during times that Mr. Lindquist was out of the room. We would sit at those work stations working on our projects. One of our more intelligent classmate but lack a common sense found a wood screw on the floor. He happen to asked one of us what he should do with his finding. I don't remember who told him to do this but some told him to ask Doris if she would like a screw. Believe me, I wouldn't had believe it but I saw him walk up to Doris and said it. "Doris do you want a screw" He held out his hand with the screw in his palm. Doris knew that this kid would never say this being mean or funny. Doris got a little red in the face and us sitting in ear shot of this broke up laughing at our work stations. Doris knew that somebody put him up saying that to her but she also knew that he was clueless on how that sounded.

Junior high sick humor at it's best. I am sure Doris would had like to known who him up to saying that. She did take the screw and put some where in the supply room. I am sure she was steamed about that for the day.

Big Dog
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mad Maxx,

I can't believe you just told that story. One of my funniest memories of CV. Several other 7th graders and I put him up to it. Doris did turn red thats for sure. We loved flirting with her even as 7th graders. she was hot. It is funny that he was most likely to succeed from his class too(I think your class right? ha, ha, ha).

The amazing thing is, is after not seeing him for many years I got a job in a different state, showed up for work and there he was. We both work at the same nuclear power plant. He hasn't changed a bit, looks or anything. Still a really nice guy and very smart, but lacking a little common sense.

Everytime I see him I think of your story!

Thanks!

Big Dog
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Maxx, after thinking about it some more he was the other senior helping Doris watch us youngsters, thats another reason it was so funny, that we convinced him to do it. Sorry he was most likely to succeed from their class not ours(yours)...good memories.

valleygirl
Pro Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you all know that if you light some of those cheap "snakes" they sell for the 4th of July and do it on the window sills in the Chemistry lab, that they eat all the varnish off the sill? I learned some good science that day. Did anyone that ever went to Clover Valley know that Mr. Anderson had a farm and bother to ask him about how it was doing just before he was supposed to give a test? If you do remember, did you wait until the next day to take the test and then try it again? Did anyone else have Mr. Lindquist take over driving in Lakeside during behind the wheel driver's training? Did anyone else turn the wrong way on a one way street? Did anyone else climb up the stairs behind the stage in the band practice room and have the door close behind them only to find that you were stuck up there? (If that ever does happen to you, go to the Home Ec room roof and climb down using the window awnings because it's not such a jump) Did anyone else have a skirt on while doing this? Just wondering.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 621

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I CAN ANSWER NO TO ALL THOSE VALLEY GIRL...GADS, I SURE MISSED ALOT GOING TO SCHOOL!!! DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID, SURE DIDN'T STUDY BOOKS!!! WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THERE WAS NO DRIVERS ED, MY DAD TAUGHT ME TO DRIVE.
got a chuckle out of the baby ducktaped to the wall.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 98

Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Valley Girl, your photo.....is that how you now baby sit? ???????

I am sure many sitter would try that use for Duct tape. I believe one of the sitters used scotch tape on my one son. I guess he talks a little too much.

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Redneck Time Out

perry
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We had an old-fashioned Finnish sauna, a small wood frame building standing alone at the north edge of the yard. It had no electricity; it was lit with a kerosene lamp. It had no running water, unless you counted the garden hose I ran out from the back of the house. There were two rooms. There was a dressing room, with a loose piece of carpet over a wooden floor, benches and stools, and places to hang your clothes and towels. And there was the steam room, with a concrete floor, homemade wooden benches, and the stove. The wood-fired stove was made from a heavy boiler about the size of a 55 gallon drum, and a steel frame on top of the stove held a good number of smooth rocks collected on Stony Point. A loop of steel water pipe ran through the firebox to heat the water in a 30 gallon drum on a stand next to the stove, and cold water was held in steel drums on the floor.

This was a good hot sauna. It was my job to fire it, and I developed my own formula for what kind of wood was best, and how much and how often to feed the fire, to keep the sauna hot. Summer or winter, it took an armload of balsam or pine slab wood every hour to hour and a quarter.

In the winter it was extra work. On Saturday morning I would run a hose from the house across the snow to fill the hot and cold water drums. I had to roll the hose up quickly when I was done, to keep the water from freezing in the hose. On Sunday morning I would empty the drums so the water wouldnít freeze and break them during the week.

Late in the winter of 1963-64, Coach Vern Eilola told me that he wanted me to fire up the sauna for him on Sundays. He said that he and CV Principal Charlie Nash would come to the sauna on Sunday afternoon, and then they would pay me in school on Monday. They would each pay me a dollar every Monday. On the one hand, I wasnít too interested in being tied down on Sunday. On the other hand, I was a ninth grader and wanted to play ball someday. And two dollars was worth a lot more then than it is now. Candy bars were a nickel, a bottle of pop was a dime, and gas was about three gallons to the dollar. So I fired up the sauna on Sundays, and on Mondays they each paid me a dollar.

One Sunday in March I started the fire, and then I took my Uncle Rayís new toy, an early Skidoo snowmobile, and ran it up to Nybergsí. Alan and I rode it around in their yard, and then headed out to some trails in the woods. The snowmobile was a novelty, and we rode all afternoon. I was on my way home late in the day when I realized that I had forgotten about the sauna. I stopped in the yard, ran down to check the fire, and the sauna was cold. The fire was just a few embers in the bottom of the firebox. I built the fire up, hoped it would warm up fast, and went to the house.

I asked my sister, and she said, yes, Vern and Charlie had already been there. As usual, they had gone directly to the sauna from the car, and directly back to the car from the sauna, without stopping at the house. I knew I was in trouble.

On Monday afternoon, Vern came up to me with a frown on his face, pulled a dollar out of his wallet, and pushed it toward me. He didnít look very happy. I said ďI hope it was hot enough for you in the sauna.Ē He didnít smile, but he said yes, it had been hot enough. I never got the dollar from Charlie Nash. They never said anything to me about it, but they never came back.

The joke, in the end, was on me. I learned later that my father, who knew I was away from home, had kept the sauna fire burning that afternoon. But not knowing any better, the sauna had been my job for several years by then, he used black ash firewood rather than my balsam and pine slabs, and the sauna really was hot. I am sure that Vern and Charlie couldnít sit on the wooden benches in the steam room, and Iím sure they had a hot time just trying to cross the concrete floor.

The joke was on me. But Vern and Charlie never came back. And that was okay.

torggy

Post Number: 1070

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry, that sounds like one hell of a nice old sauna. To keep it warm must have been alot of work. Thanks for the great story.

sauna_poika
Regular Poster
Username: sauna_poika

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah Perry, nice job on the story. Brought back some good memories of mine from up Hwy #2 when Uncle Eino would stop by every Sunday for cribbage and a sauna.

I remember getting that hose coiled up as fast as I could to keep it from freezing solid in the winter months. You only make that mistake one time especially when the old man finds out you forgot to bring the hose back inside.

I could sure go for some loyly and a cold beer right now.

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 59

Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember one day in Clover Valley, must have been 2nd grade, when the most beautiful lady I had ever seen walked into my classroom and said she was our teacher that day. I learned the word "substitute" that day. I don't remember ever having heard that word before or even of having had a substitute before in Bloomingdale. I do remember this as one of my best days in school. I remember trying so hard to impress this "fairy tale princess" by smiling all day and doing my work at my best. Knowing me, I probably stood at her desk showing her every problem I had done correctly and annoyed her to no end, but I really don't remember that. I can only surmise my actions in those days from her impression upon me. I don't care if she was dressed as a normal lady, she had to be right out of the Disney princess line. "Mrs. Driscoll is my name," she said so sweetly. She returned other days, and I remember the leap in the heart knowing she would be in the classroom that day. Sad that such a beautiful memory only returned to me after reading her obituary. I wish I would have remembered earlier and would have told her just how important she was in one person's life and the impression she left.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 685

Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sure many can relate to this, I sure can. I can see both my grandma's now standing in their kitchens cooking with APRONS on. I best not forget my mother in law, she too always wore and apron, and left it on under her coat when she went to the store.

The History of 'APRONS'

Aprons
I don't think our kids know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress
underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing
hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even
used for cleaning out dirty ears .
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy
chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming
oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot
wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had
been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from
the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much
furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her
apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will
replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's
aprons.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

(Message edited by Blondie on April 20, 2008)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 735

Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DID YOU KNOW:
French River: Ojibway word Angwassago-Zibi, also knows as Riviere des Francais

Sucker River: Ojibway word Namebinin-Zibi, the townsite of Montezuma was platted there.

Knife River: Ojibway word Mokomani-Zibi meaning sharp stones. The first North Shore Newspaper, North Shore Advocate was established here and the U.S. General Land Office was here in 1857

scotty
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Remember back in the Valley when I was just little probably 6 or so and we learned that in the spring if we took off on our bicycles we could ride up past Carlson's towards the Fox Farm and the road would be flooded over from the beaver dam behind Carlson' would look like a lake on the road. I still remember peddling out across that cool spring water and the slow currant going across the road. Even though it was cold it felt good because it was spring and warm again and bicycle's were out again. As time went on it was almost a ritual to go up to the flood in the spring, first on bicycle's then came mini-bikes and motorcycle's and then cars and speed and big waves of water and laughter. All just because it was a nice spring day in the valley. How many of you have made that same journey and then caught air speeding over Carlson's driveway for a thrill???

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LWM I am sure you remmber in the early 50's when Clifton had a soaftball team. Edsel Stromberg was the pitcher, and it was fast pitch. Edsel was very good at it. Art Berg played on that team and most players were out of high school and Art was only in the tenth grade so that tells us how good Art was. We went to watch many games at the Lakeside field. Was it called Portland Field? Mrs Gustafson took us to several games, thanks to her.

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DAB, I do remember that softball team. I forgot that Edsel played for them. I think you are thinking of Portman Square in Lakeside. Right across from where Heinan Hardware was-not Marshall but Heinen. Yes, for you younger folks there was a second hardware store in Lakeside. Became a Bridgeman's store later on. Gershgol's grocery store was just a little west of where Sammy's Pizza is now. When I was a kid Oberg's Pharmacy was there.

Art Berg was a good athlete. So was Dave (Dumpy)Laiti. Bob Aho was another good athlete.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Portman Square, that was a few blocks down from my one grandma's house. Heinan Hardware, that I do not remember at all, but sure do remember Bridgemans, used to frequent that often when we went to visit my grandparents. I remember Gershgol's grocery. Know that is where my parents did their grocery shopping.

Oberg's Pharmacy...we just went through the area last week, and hubby was asking me about stores when I was growing up, what was there, etc. He mentioned Sammy's Pizza, and I said, I wasn't sure what was in there.

Isn't it sad that Art couldn't have made more of his life than he did, but he seemed happy with his life, sure liked to tease me up until he passed on!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't want to start a thread, so just putting this question in this one. LWM, maybe you know the answer to this, what was Mr. Eilola's wife's name? Have you gone into Finn Fest website and gone into Schedule? On Thursday in July there is a Pat Eilola from Alango giving a lecture. If that is his wife, she certainly has changed over the years.
http://www.finnfest2008.com/ffschedweb/ffproB.html

I saw Skipper Sironen's name on there also at the beginning of the site

LWM
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat was her name. They were from Alango so that must be her.

We are awaiting the invite for our annual Swede-Finn lunch. We are going to have it while the Finnfest is going on so we can invite the visitors from Finland to attend.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think I can go to Finnfest at all. The thing I was interested in was Tori, but too much walking. So, I will have to catch up with my Finnish cousin elsewhere.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 805
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big add today in the paper "PUBLIC NOTICE", that the Homestead Road construction between trunk highway 61 and west knife river road will be closed to traffic beginning JULY 7, for about 21 days. Locals will have access to their property.

torggy

Post Number: 1164

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Thats like... the whole road. Wonder if they have any big changes planned.

lurker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are just repaving mill and overlay

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAVE A NICE 4TH EVERYONE!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 909

Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gosh I was the last one to post on this also!!

Well refresh your memory banks, nothing to do with CV, but how about Christmas City of the North Parade? How many of you remember that?
Tonight on channel 6, they showed memories, 50 years ago it started. It is on right now.

Do you remember Jack McKenna? Well he was on, Ray Paulson, " Mr Toot" was on. Naturally they have aged, but was surprised to see both of them.

It seems back in "time" they really had some rough weather for the parade.
The only time it was ever canceled was the assassination of JFK. They had to tell the buses, people as they pulled in to do the parade. Year 1963. They said most of them did not know, and you can imagine the shock!

I really liked watching the parade on TV when it was on Superior street, seems they showed the floats, bands, etc, better than where they are located now down by Canal Park. In past scenes, they showed the Hotel Duluth, which is still there, but not as a hotel, and North Shore Theater...well, we won't talk about what that is now!!!

I always remember the parade was held during deer season, and my parents used to come up on Friday night from Minneapolis, and have a heck of a time with reroute of traffic. My one grandma especially loved watching the parade.

Wow 50 years, glad I haven't aged at all!!!

mollieb@roadrunner.com
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: AS to parades I saw the first Sea-Way parade honoring the opening of the St.Lawrence Sea-Way. A friend and I went after 11:00pm switch engine. Of course we did not watch it from the street,after working all night we bellied up to the bar and watched it from some joint on the street. The thing lasted 2-hrs, so we were in good shape at the end. The guy who used to play Wyatt Earp was Parade Marshall.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 910

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

didn't that open in 1959 or somewhere around that time period? I bet the parade got better and better looking by the time it ended are you thinking of Hugh O'Brain who played Earp on the TV series?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 912

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A HAPPY THANKSGIVING, DON'T EAT TOO MUCH!

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING.

Twas the night of Thanksgiving, but I just couldn't sleep.
I tried counting backwards, I tried counting sheep.

The leftovers beckoned--the dark meat and white,
but I fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,
the thought of a snack became infatuation.

So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door
and gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.

I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
till all of a sudden, I rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling,
floating into the sky
With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.

But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees.......
happy eating to all---pass the cranberries, please!

~~Author Unknown.~~

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
MJ

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1052

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talking to my aunt tonight she happened to start talking about a singing group that formed out in the valley area. She said she used to go to Palmers church and someone mentioned this group and seeing she loved to sing she joined it.
I know I have the spelling wrong, but it was something like "Ruraliers", if someone knows the correct spelling please correct me on this.

They used to go to Gary Sironen's house, mothers that is, he was in it as was his mother, she used to ride with Mrs. Sunde. Some one by the name of Cooke was in it also, and so was Gloria West. Those names popped into her head. She said there were about 10-12 members and the years were about 59-60

torggy

Post Number: 1333

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Ruralaires are mentioned here
http://www.twoharborsforum.com/discus/messages/3328/4289.html#POST21154

I wish I could remember where I got this picture. I got to make more notes. But it is supposed to be the Clover Valley Ruralaires:
ruralaires

torggy

Post Number: 1334

Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In this picture it says that a trio well appear in the fifth Christmas concert staged by the Ruralaires on Tuesday at 7:30 at the Clover Valley school. Members of the Trio are Mrs William Lindquist. Mrs Clifford Brown and Mrs. Marlene Burrke.
ruralaires with Norma

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1054

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember seeing that top picture somewhere, could it have been in the book! Sure looks familar anyway. yes, my aunt said they wore western outfits and she said they sang at the Duluth Town Hall. I am going to have to send that picture to my aunt. Maybe she can fill me in on who is who, provided she was with them as members changed.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1056

Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy the picture is in the book, should have gotten it out in the first place. I wrote above it the two men on the left are Einar Abrahamson and Harold Jackson. This was way before my aunts time with the chorus, so she won't know who is who. It says "Ruralaires" 1949.
Also, I already have it in my CV folder on my computer, should have looked in there too!!!
Lots of should have!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1407

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norma sent me some picture she found. I am hoping someone out there can tell me the year or maybe some of the people in them. I well be posting them over the next couple weeks.

I really like the view of the room in this photo:
cv pic 4a

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1285

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know alot of the people, but not sure they want their names posted on here.
That classroom sure brings back memories, and the desks!!! I am sure I sat in one of those desks in this very same room.

torggy

Post Number: 1408

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What year would that class have graduated do you think? I think it is okay to mention a couple names. It might give us some way to give it a time prespective.

I wonder what class room it was. There were three on each side of the hallway on the top of the old part. Each was a little differant.

Those desks were gone by the time I started there. There were a couple still around but not for daily use in the classroom.

torggy

Post Number: 1409

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a great facaulty picture with Mr. Lindquist in the back row:

norma pic 5a

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1286

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looked up in my aunts album, they were Freshman when she graduated, so this makes them the graduating class of 1958..not sure what year this picture was though.

K. Wiseman is the one on right front, A. Swartz behind her, then J. Sundstrom I think
Front row center,(row two from right) I think is C. Groshek, way in the back of this row, second guy from back, is G. Hirsch. I remember him, as lived near them for a couple years over on the McQuade Road.

I see D. Alseth way in the back, second from back in the 3rd row from the left. The gal behind him, looks like J. Hamlin.

This classroom would have been on the left hand side as you went up the stairs, not sure exactly if it was the first or second one room. The last one on that side, had windows on the end of the room, where all the others had windows on the side of the rooms.
Note the clock on the wall, it is quarter after two.
Not sure if this is just one class or combined classes,(as they did that back then) as the gal way on the left, front seat, looks like H.Oberg, and she was in the class behind them, but I could be wrong. The gal behind her, is H.Aho though and she was class of 58. (According to the annual)
Torggy snuck a picture in as I was writing mine! Naturally this is not for the teachers pictures!

(Message edited by Blondie on September 06, 2009)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1287

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs. Ellingsen,(grade 4) Mrs. Ann Kohn (grade 5 and six), Miss Rose Sampson (grades 7 and 8), Mrs. Alvina Wilmunen (grades 6 and 7)
Middle row
Mr. Herbert Johnson(Science, Math and Driver Training), Elizabeth McCall (Phy Ed, Health), ?, Miss Gazette (Home Ec..my least favorite teacher I must say), Harold Mostrom (Principal)
Third row
Mr. Ness(I think, looks like him, he also was Principal), Mr. Lindquist, ?, ?,?. The last three I have no idea who they were.

torggy

Post Number: 1410

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! what you said started my memory going. The picture of the room is the first room on the left as you went up the stairs. The door with the windows in it went to a little storage room. In later years this is the room they turned into the chemistry lab. It became the scene of the great acid explosion that Gary Nesgoda started and I got blamed with. I can still see Mister Granger crouched down behind a desk just to the right of that door. He stuck his head up long enough to yell "Torgerson if that thing blows up you well never see the inside of this school again". About 10 seconds later "BOOM" acid all over the ceiling.

That is Miss Gazette!? She was a teacher that long? I did not like her either and the students were very hard on her. She quit or at least transfered away while I at was at CV. She and Lindquist were the only teachers I had that are pictured.

Thanks for the info Blondie.

Anyone else out there notice anything? If so at least drop me an email and let me know.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1288

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember the storage room at all. Was wondering what that door was.
When I was in school, Chemistry/biology classes were right across the hall. I really remember biology the most, Mr. Anderson taught it, and dissecting..I liked biology though. Wonder what year they moved it.

torggy

Post Number: 1411

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They changed it over to a chemistry lab while I was there. We got to use it when it was brand new. Must have been 1966 or 67.

I also had Mr. Anderson. Quite the character. He sure had some stories to tell. We used to call them Anderson's fairy tales.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1290

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He always had me read to the class! Guess I was a good reader, or he just liked to see my face turn red!!!
I also remember him getting "gout" all the time.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1291

Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Class of 56 ( year this was taken don't know)
Left...Back B. Johnson, I. Lee, D.Oberg

Next row, second one in. E. Pahkala(she died), very last one P.Carlson

Next row, front M.Cooke, I think J.Abrahamson,
B.Johnson, and looks like F.Poe(but he was in the class behind, sure looks like him though). The girl way to the far right with glasses is P.Alseth.
This is the classroom that was at the far end of the hall on the left hand side.
Again I could be wrong on some of these people.

torggy

Post Number: 1412

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I could read the date on the calender on the desk in that last picture.

Now that you point it out I too see Philip Carlson in the back row. He sure went on to become a respected local educator.

Norma sent me this to help identify the people in the faculty picture. She fills in a couple that Blondie did not know.

The picture of the faculty: back row: Al Ness, Bill Lindquist, Frank Zobitz, Marv Goldfarb, and Tauno Thompson. 2nd row: Herb Johnson, Betty Ann Mc Call, Millie Gustafson, Barb Gazette, and Harold Mostrom. Front row: not sure of the first one, next one is Ann Kohn, not sure of next one and last one is Mrs. Wilmanen

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1294

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ones I missed, still don't ring a bell. Guess they didn't make an impression on me at all then, or they were teachers of the upper classes when I was there at old CV, while I was in the lower grades, and I never had Mrs.Wilmunen either, the others I had at some point in time after I reached the upper grades.

How about some of you other CV people out there, that read this forum, lets hear from you. You must remember some of those teachers that I didn't know!

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Thompson was the band director in both grade school and high school.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1295

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, now I remember him, actually in one of my annuals there is a better picture of him.

torggy

Post Number: 1413

Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yea, wow, I remember now too. He was still band director when I graduated.

Mr. Thompson

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: Behind P. Alseth is Joan Borgen. In back of Betty is Harry Killstrom and to the left of Phill is Bill Aho.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1300

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Dab, knew someone would know for sure.

Do you recognize the girls behind and the one in front of Elaine P.?

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 152

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Second row from the right - 6th student - really looks like Warren Mindestrom!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1301

Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think so, not the Warren I knew..if your talking the first picture that guy is G. Hirsch.

Warren isn't in any of these pictures though, these kids were a couple grades ahead of him

torggy

Post Number: 1416

Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the picture Norma is talking about. This little guy is really cute.
Ken Truscott

torggy

Post Number: 1417

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more of those great pictures from Norma. She said this one was marked 7th grade on the back and that the teacher in the back round is Betty Ann McCall.
7th grade picture

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1309

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seeing this room sure brings back memories for me. This classroom was the last room on the road side of the school. I recognize lot of the kids, but many of them their names escape me now.
Love seeing these pictures.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration