Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Events < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1248

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An early morning fire caused at least $200,000 in damage to Home Sweet Home Gifts and Keepsakes in Lakewood Township on Monday, said Kurt Rogers, chief of the Lakewood Township Fire Department.

The fire, which began in the basement, was reported at 4 a.m. at 5103 North Shore Drive. No one was in the building at the time of the fire. The gift shop was being remodeled and no one was living in the apartment on the second floor, Rogers said.

Normanna, Clifton, Rice Lake and Two Harbors fire departments assisted in extinguishing the fire, which took about four hours. The cause is still under investigation. The building is not considered a total loss, Rogers said.

torggy

Post Number: 1261

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today there was a meeting of the west coast chapter of displaced French River CV graduates. We had 4 in attendance and lots of old French River and CV stories were told.

One of the subjects brought up was the 15 minutes of fame that happened to the wife of a CV grad. She hit CNN and did interviews for radio stations. Sounds like Claudia and Royal really know how to enjoy Christmas.
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/multimedia/m/21600804/woman_keeps_37_christmas_t rees_in_home.htm

Now if the Vikes could have pulled it out the afternoon would have been perfect.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 955

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did catch this on TV, but didn't catch who it was. Royal, there is only one Royal that I know?

That is a lot of tree's way too much work, but guess she loves it, and that is what counts. I was just complaining yesterday when I was undecorating my one tree!

torggy

Post Number: 1262

Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup it would be that Royal. I graduated with him. Talked with him yesterday, during the game. Said he still his Corvette and is still logging. Has built a new house and that next year the wife wants to have 45 trees.

ejb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

picked up a copy of a land auction of tax forfeit properties...one of the listings butts right up to the backside of CV high....9 acres and 600 ft width....50 ft conservation easement for a trout stream running through...nice wooded area. Road frontage is on Homestead...looks to start about 200 ft north of Torgeson rd.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 965

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have missed that, as went on the internet and checked this out yesterday. There was something in the paper yesterday, with a site to go on. Hmm, frontage road on Homestead, trying to visualize this, just was up in that area at Xmas time. That must be the road by the school, where Brucklemeyers were doing some work behind the school.

Just checked that site again, and nothing on there that I could see, so you must have something different. Just curious what is the starting list price for this property?

(Message edited by Blondie on January 13, 2009)

torggy

Post Number: 1276

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting, hey Blondie could you send me the web site you were looking at? Thanks.

Tax forfeit usually means there is not really a starting price except for the back taxes owed. doesn't it?

I doudt Bruklemeyer would let the taxes fall behind so it must be adjoining property of some kind.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 966

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is the link Torggy..http://www.co.st-louis.mn.us/slcportal/SiteMap/HomePage/tabid/53/Default.aspx Go into Home, then click on Land Sales and when that page comes up click on (click here)
and as you can see on here they do have a starting list price, as in a auction they have a starting price.
You can go into St. Louis county and put in anyone's name and it will show if they are behind on taxes.

At any rate, whoever has this property sure sounds like a nice piece.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 967

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

found it

This nicely wooded parcel includes a trout stream flowing through it. The deed will include a conservation easement of 50 feet on either side of the centerline of the stream. It is zoned FAM-3 which requires 9 acres and 600 feet of lot width. Contact Duluth Township with use and zoning questions. Subject to all easements of record and rights of way. Recording fee $46.00. Driving Directions: From Hwy #61 travel north on the Homestead Road (County #42), 4.5 miles. Parcel is on the right (east) side of the road, .25 miles north of the Torgeson Road, just north of a creek crossing.
10.00 $46,000.00

Checked out who owns it and it says ST of MN. C278L35

(Message edited by Blondie on January 13, 2009)

torggy

Post Number: 1277

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie, interesting site and lots of information. Gonna take some time to explore. Be interesting to see what it goes for. Thanks again!

torggy

Post Number: 1294

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With so many deer in recent years along the shore it has brought many problems. My parents have had a very hard time keeping any shrubs in the yard because the deer eat them all. Hunting them is a good idea but it can lead to other problems.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/110757/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 988

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, deer are a problem, beautiful, but they will eat everything in the yard. A couple years ago, they even ate my rose bushes, imagine that, thorns!! in town! Didn't matter to them! I see many people wrap their tree's or put fencing around them. I resorted to spraying that god awful smelling spray to keep deer at bay, and you know what it worked. I even sprayed my cedar tree's that winter, as how they love cedar tree's!

Gee, even out where I used to live, I had a bullet whiz by my head once in our yard.

torggy

Post Number: 1324

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cute story with a local name:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/112702/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what article you wanted us to read, as it took me to the main page. But I assume after getting the morning paper, you meant the one about the Libby girl, who won 1st prize for a poster she made?

torggy

Post Number: 1325

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hummm... weird.... I just clicked on it and it came to the story about the Libby girl. Which is the one I ment. Isn't technology wonderful sometimes?

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 126

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was able to go straight to the article as well.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1024

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

crazy, I couldn't. Have no idea why.

I had to try one more time, and this time it took me right to the article, but sure didn't before, had to sign in, and it took me to the front page. Figured if you guys could, I should be able to!!!

(Message edited by Blondie on February 19, 2009)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1030

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see Lighthouse on Homestead was featured today for one of their soups.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/112997/

skipper
Pro Poster
Username: skipper

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little girl's name for her poster is wrong in the article.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1031

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

whose name should it be?

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, the girl's poster says you're and the article says our...just thought the paper should have the right title.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1032

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know how papers goof up all the time.
I have corrected that paper more than once on things.

torggy

Post Number: 1330

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hazards of the big lake.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/113063/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1092

Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/115257/
How well I remember going to Glass Block with my grandma when we went to town shopping.

when you get into the article, click on The Attic, there are more pictures in there.

(Message edited by Blondie on March 18, 2009)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1101

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In todays paper, also click on related content
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/115654/

haven't read the whole article yet.

torggy

Post Number: 1346

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a fun article. I would like the see the TV special.

This is the building the article mentions:
Gilmore comedy theater

My mother said she can remember going to shows there and waiting on the people that owed it when she was a waitress at Wonderland.

torggy

Post Number: 1347

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have that picture in a bigger version if anyone is interested. Just drop me an email and I well send it to you.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1170

Posted on Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Tribune today there is an article about the Flu.
Stated in there on Halloween 1957 the Asian Flu hit and many schools were closed..."Illness closed Alborn and Clover Valley". Knowing me, it didn't make me sad that school had to be closed.

I remember the Asain flu, but didn't realize it was that long ago. But there also was a 1968 outbreak of that and Hong Kong pandemics.

dab
Regular Poster
Username: dab

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie: I am doing fine. Talked to Howard about
2-months ago. That flu in 1957 struck while I was oversea,s in the Army. They had one barracks
set aside for quarantine about 40-beds. Our recon
squadron had 400 troops. I never got it.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1195

Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congratulations to Fred and Betty Poe on their 50th Wedding Anniversary.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really? I loved Fred and Betty, my wife and I went to school with their daughter Debbie, great people! The Grandma and Grandpa down the road from them were a hoot too!

torggy

Post Number: 1392

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this in the Township news letter
http://www.duluthtownship.org/pdf/newsletter/may2009.pdf

Dusty Homestead Road
George Hagglund
Blacktop on the Homestead
Road was a long time in coming.
During the 1930‘s and 40‘s
we had to tolerate a fog of fine
dust whenever it was dry, especially
in the summertime. I
grew up living just a quartermile
off the road and can still
remember seeing the dust
clouds of red clay that were
thrown up whenever a car traveled
up or down on the main
road. And since I didn‘t own a
car for much of my early youth,
can recall being enveloped in
choking clouds of dust whenever
a car passed me by.
The residents of the houses
next to the road suffered the
most — the Ivarinen‘s, the Ben
Carlsons, and the Vostries in
the early days of the 30‘s. Putting
the washing on the line
was to invite fast-moving trucks
and cars to speed up and create
a bigger cloud.
The first car in line had it
good, but the cars that followed
were exposed to choking dust
and flying rocks. Pock-marked
windshields were the rule, not
the exception. There was so
much dust thrown up on some
days you couldn‘t pass the slow
car in front because you couldn‘
t spot oncoming traffic. Family
cars were always dirty and
covered with dust.
Henning Carlson was infamous
— he traveled fast in his
46 Chevy and the dust would
rise to record heights.
And then came the blacktop
road. What heaven! Life was
never the same.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1197

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that was interesting, I can only imagine the dust, yuk! Can you imagine what that road was like when it rained, must have been a muddy mess.

torggy

Post Number: 1393

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another article from the Township news letter:

‘Bonus Point’
By Alvera Pierson
Everyone in our Township knows where Stoney Point is, but do you know where Bonus Point is?
Bonus Point juts out into Lake Superior, and makes up the west side of the Bay of Big Sucker and Little Sucker Rivers as they flow into the lake.

This is how it got it’s name. Our father,
Alphonse Anderson, was born in Larsmo, Finland in 1895, and immigrated to the U.S. and the North Shore when he was 16, becoming a commercial fisherman. When World War I started, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and spent two years fighting in the trenches in France under General Pershing.

Upon discharge, he used his war bonus
money to buy 10 acres of land on Lake Superior from Jack Croft. He started building skiffs and a fish house and fished commercially.
When the other local Scandinavian fishermen set their nets, they would use landmarks to locate them, and soon Dad’s land became known as Bonus Point.

Kathy Wurzer in her newly published book, “Tales of the Road, Highway 61” interviewed my brother Alvin and me, and wrote of the early days of the highway and commercial fishing, mentioning our
family land, Bonus Point. So this is the rest of the story that I wanted to preserve in our local history.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1200

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The McQuade Road safe harbor just outside Duluth became the first solar-powered boat landing in Minnesota on Tuesday.

Crews were bolting 2 kilowatts of solar panels on an I-beam to feed electricity into the Minnesota Power grid — hopefully enough to offset the power used by the restrooms and parking lot lights at the new landing on Lake Superior.

“When the sun is shining and it’s producing more than we need, Minnesota Power buys it back. When we are using more than the sun can provide, we’ll be paying on the electric bill,” said Peter Hark, field operations manager for the DNR’s Trails and Waterways Division. “Because most of this use here will be seasonal, we hope that, at the end of the year, we will have offset all of our electrical use by producing solar energy.”

It’s the first major entry by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources into solar power. But many more projects are planned as the agency moves to cut its energy use and reduce its carbon footprint.

Solar panels are set to be installed at the DNR’s off-highway vehicle park in Gilbert on the Iron Range, Hark said. And solar panels will be added to several North Shore state park campgrounds to help offset increased electrical use by RVs.

Meanwhile, Camden State Park in southwestern Minnesota this spring became the first DNR facility to be totally energy self-sufficient. Thanks to a new wind turbine and geothermal heat pump, the state park now generates more than enough electricity and heat so that the DNR doesn’t have to buy any coal-powered electricity from utilities.

“Camden is a true net-zero site,” said Rob Bergh, the DNR’s new energy coordinator. His job was added this year to oversee the agency’s energy and carbon-cutting efforts. “We’re hoping this boat landing is net zero energy as well.”

Including rebates from the Minnesota Department of Energy and Minnesota Power — available to anyone on the electrical grid — and a discount from Conservation Technologies, the Duluth-based contractor on the project, the McQuade solar panels cost the DNR about $28,000.

“But they’ll be here, producing electricity, whenever the sun shines, for at least 20 years,” said Tad McCannell, technician for Conservation Technologies.

Some of the money used for energy projects comes from state bonds sold for construction projects, other from the state’s new outdoor legacy account funded by the 3/8 percent sales tax increase for environmental projects.

In the long run, the move to green power will save taxpayers and state park visitors real money in reduced energy bills.

“But the greatest payback is cleaner water and cleaner air. We’re going to be using less energy [from coal] and cutting our carbon footprint,” Hark said.

Less coal burned for electricity also means less mercury going into the air and falling into Minnesota lakes and streams and building up in fish. “As a natural resource agency, we’re looking at the bigger picture on all of this,” Hark added.

The McQuade Road solar project sits just 50 feet from Scenic Highway 61 on the North Shore and will be visible to tens of thousands of travelers every year. The site also will include a solar power education kiosk and an electric meter to show in real time what the solar panels are generating.

“Public outreach is a big part of this. People need to know this is real, and we’re doing it, and they can too,” Hark said.

torggy

Post Number: 1394

Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The CVHS class of '59 is celebrating its 50th anniversary since they left the halls of good ole CVHS. Their reunion will take place the evening of August 1st at the Lighthouse resturant on Homestead Road.

There are a few people that we don't have addresses for or that we're unsure of:
Ivan Haugen
Gordy Ives
Lona Leeman
Marie Driscoll
Maria Lee
Ida Borgen

If you know anything about the above folks or for more information please contact Joan (Abrahamson) Olson at donduck@paulbunyan.net or you can call her at 218-444-8304

If you know someone in this class then this is the time to see them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1222

Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the Eh? section of the tribune today was this

"The Lighthouse on Homestead took first place in the professional division of "Grill Wars"-"

The Lighthouse restaurant won with its "Stromberger" a third pound burger with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, grilled onions and bistro sauce. Its named after a local family whose grandmother made the burger.

This was held at Fitgers. Sounds like my kind of burger! Haven't stopped in there in quite awhile, think I will just have to do that!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1224

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had lunch at the Lighthouse on our way back from shopping. That Stromberger was so good. Hubby had the turkey club, a meal in itself. REAL TURKEY, big pieces at that, so he was very impressed.

torggy

Post Number: 1396

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds great Blondie. I bet the class of '59 will have a great time there in just a couple weeks. Must be a good burger to win the local contest.

Can't wait to visit so I can try it myself. Love the history of the area that they have around the place also.

On a side note I hear that LWM was at Homesteaders last week. I know both him and Captian Nylen are visiting the North Shore. Hope the place can stand the two of them there at the same time. Look forward to hearing Captian's report when he gets back here to the great North West. He did call me from the safe harbor at the end of McQuade road one day. Was nice to be almost kinda in touch with the lake.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1225

Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hear that the food that was left from the Homesteaders, they brought to my aunt, that was nice.

You should see that trophy that LOH won for that burger, it is HUGE!!! They have it sitting up on the bar.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1226

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a surprise I had this morning, here walking down the walkway was LWM, and behind him this stranger... Captain Nylen. We had such a nice visit on the patio, lovely day out there.
THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY GUYS!! ANY TIME YOUR IN THE AREA...STOP BY. I know LWM can't get on the internet anymore, but Captain Nylen can.

torggy

Post Number: 1398

Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found an interesting item on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roots-in-the-Past-French-River-Duluth-Clover-Valley-MN_W0QQi temZ370225376999QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item563326eee7&_trksi d=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1230

Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I didn't find it. Some other stuff was on there, or maybe I missed it.

torggy

Post Number: 1399

Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really? Huh. I just clicked on it and seemed to get there just fine. Weird how the techno-gods work sometimes. Have you been making the appropriate sacrifices lately?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1231

Posted on Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, that is the problem!!! Hmmm, who/what can I sacrifice????!!!!

I clicked on it via the notification that I got, and now when I clicked on it via the website, it pulled it up fine. Sacrifice is safe for today!!! So the problem was on the notification.

(Message edited by Blondie on July 11, 2009)

torggy

Post Number: 1403

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a reminder that the CVHS class of '59 is celebrating its 50th anniversary since they left the halls of good ole CVHS. Their reunion will take place the evening of August 1st at the Lighthouse resturant on Homestead Road.

If you know any of those folks and want to see them this Saturday night is the time.

skipper
Pro Poster

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent! Have fun folks and congrats, just think of what you have seen in 50 years!

torggy

Post Number: 1404

Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clover Valley graduate becomes author! Writes article about visit from Japan that hits the Two Harbors paper. But you will have to sign up or if you already have an account with Duluth News Tribune, you can use that as your sign in.

http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/article/id/18757/

torggy

Post Number: 1405

Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a report on the '59 class reunion. Sure allot of familiar names listed. Thanks for the update Joan. It is great to hear news from the North Shore:

The Class of '59 reunion was great. There were 24 of us who met at the Lighthouse Restaurant. Classmates who attended were: Sandy Anderson Hagenbeck, Ida Borgen Scott, Sandy Alpert Gravelle, Rebecca Robarge Lofdahl, Pat Berg Frykman, Joan Cooke Crossman, Susan Cooke Crossman, Pat Strand Bourman, Judy Dahl Smith, Loretta Nordlund Laird, Ivan Haugen, George Sundstrom, Kenny Mandelin, and Joan Abrahamson Olson. Loretta came the farthest from Florida. Each classmate had opportunity to share about what has happened in his/her life in the past 50 years, remembrances of CVHS, and a teacher or staff person that had an impact on him/her. Also, letters and oral messages from several classmates were shared. The only classmates that we had no response from or information on their whereabouts were Lona Leeman, Gordy Ives, and Maria Lee. Three of those who graduated with us are deceased: Jimmy Alseth, David Erickson, and Mary Ann Beck.

Regarding the meal, the food at the Lighthouse was excellent, service was great, and the staff was very accommodating.

And Warren Mindestrom paid a visit and greeted people. It was nice to see him.

Some of us thought that we may try to get together again in five years.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1246

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was a good share.
A couple names don't ring a bell, but most of them do. Sounds like a good time was had.

todd_r
Pro Poster
Username: todd_r

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Residents and interested parties are invited and encouraged to comment on a draft Knife River Pollution report through Nov 11. Knife River is on Minnesota’s list of impaired waters because of turbidity (sediment). Those interested in the report can also attend a public meeting from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 4, at the South St Louis County Soil and Water District office located at 215 North 1st Avenue East, Room 302, Duluth MN. The report is available at www.pca.state.mn.us/water/tmdl/project-kniferiver.html
Our state and local agencies seek local participation from residents who live and play within the watershed, to assist in making the best land use decisions for the restoration of Knife River.
For more information, contact Todd Ronning at 834-5160

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1349

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torg, I got those little books from my aunt. This one is really neat though, with names and addresses of CV kids. The other two are baseball and basketball rules from 1946.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1350

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The class of 36-1940 had 14 kids
" " " 37-1941 had 11 kids
" " " 38-1942 had 19 kids
" " " 39-1943 had 19 kids
" " " 40-1944 had 31 kids
" " " 41-1945 had 26 kids
" " " 42-1946 had 10 kids
" " " 43-1947 had 15 kids
" " " 44-1948 had 13 kids
" " " 45-1949 had 9 kids
" " " 46-1950 had 9 kids
" " " 47-1951 had 12 kids

Now I know not all of these graduated, as know my one uncle and my mother didn't, but their names are in this book.

Some last names, Abrahamson, Anderson, Beck, Carlson, Driscoll,Holappa, Korkki, Esterly, Mallory, Hill, Kaitfors, Mattson, Engleson, Haggerty, Solem, Hermanson, Knithtila, Gustafson, Houghtaling, Jackson, Jarvi, Martinson, Nordin, Shelhon, Swanson, Saari, Salby, Sundstrom, Long, Hagen, McCauley, Nikkola, Silander, Hendrickson, Wicklund, Stout, Stromberg, Wallace, Wilbur, Lawrence, Wenho, Peterson, Benson, Cooke, Berg, Herman, MacNillian, Lichfelt, Merritt, Nyberg, Stassen, Swartz,Wendland, Ludvickson, Alseth, Strand, MacDougall, Huhta,Jackson, Lund, Mandelin, Sahlstein, Thibault, Borgen,Hagglund, Johnson, Laiti, Oberg, Sandberg, Altatlo,Lampela, Reed, Torgerson,Aunen, Pelander, Nordstrom, Pavilisich, Winter, Lundgren, Zink, Laine, Ratkovich, Sunde, Wartianen.

I just went through the pages and wrote down last names. Some I have never heard of even.

bigguy
Regular Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, are there photos with those listings? I recognize about 90% of the names. My mother would be in there as well as other relatives. You have a treasure there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1351

Posted on Monday, November 02, 2009 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got it today from my aunt Delores. No there are no pictures, just small book(not near the size I have it on here even) with names-married-spouses and addresses and it lists the ones that had died also. Just the 12 pages.

When this was done I have no idea, as it had my parents right address down in Minneapolis.

I like the picture of the old school on the front.

(Message edited by Blondie on November 02, 2009)

torggy

Post Number: 1425

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love the picture of the old school front!! Hard to imagine it with a door right there. And the little roof in the middle is great and the three little round things. Looks pretty good!

Know most of the names. Kinda like sitting between Bigguy and Capt. Nylen and listening to them talk about all the names of the area.

Anything more of intrest in those little books Blondie? Thanks for posting!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1352

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big Guy I didn't find your mom in there, went through it a couple times.

Made a couple errors on names NO Altalao or Wicklund and Stassen. Mispelled Torgerson, should be Torgeson and MacNillian should be MacMillian!!

I missed a few names, Smith, Savola, Jenson, Nordlund, Nolte, Angell, Nappa, Heino,Hiltenen, Vidmar, Schuyler, Lathrop and Ackling.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1353

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

someone wrote "penmanship" on the front.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1354

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, my mother was Elizabeth Sundstrom. I believe she graduated in 37. Got a kick out of the ref signs, etc. We had a good visit with Torggy last week up in WA. I meant to tell him that the Capt. and I drove by the Duluth Sawmill in Edison, so Torggy if you're reading this!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1355

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book doesn't go back that far. It says class of 36, graduation 1940 was the first page.

My parents moved down to Minnepolis 1962, but rented for several years, then finally bought a home on Dupont, and this address was in this book, so they made this book way after 1962.

These books are in such good shape.

torggy

Post Number: 1426

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a little resawmill here in Edison Washington that was started by a guy originally from Duluth. He was killed in a motorcycle accident a few years ago. The sawmill still brings in wood from old Duluth grain elevators and buildings to resaw into usable lumber. I was just involved in a local bank remodel that used some of their wood for a hearth around the fireplace.

Big Guy, I see your trip back must have gone okay. Glad ya made it safely.

I had a great time visiting with you and John last week. I wish we could have had everyone there to take part. We talked about bus drivers like Walter Johnson and how his bus was always cold. The Ranch restaurant down by Hazel lane. Fish houses on the lake and how one guy had a crank up slide that got it out of the lake when not in use. How Ryan road from the Old North Shore road down was called Balsam road and ran right by the frond door of the hatchery. The monkey that Nolte used to keep in the back of the store and how they used to take the monkey to town and used it to get free drinks. The day Nolte's store burned. And so much more.

Those old books are fun Blondie. Funny what things become keepsakes.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some very good Irish names......

The old school front - is that the back entrance when we were there? The typing room downstairs, boiler room, xerox room?

torggy

Post Number: 1427

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, that is the front of the school looking at it from the road. Hard to figure how they remodeled it so the rooms came out like they did. You could still see the remnants of the steps while I went there. Probably still can.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 159

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is something. So the "new" entrance, when we went there, was to the left of this picture? And the back entrance where the typing room was is to the right and around the corner?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1356

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The new entrance was on the new part of the school way to the left. There was an entrance at the end of the old school...right hand side of the picture, and you went down to the typing room and up to the main floor from that "end entrance".

There were lots of Swedes and Finns living in the area.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1357

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a drawing from my annual of the school, as we saw it when we went. Where the flag pole is, that is where the old entrance was, then to the right on the end, was where the end entrance was.

torggy

Post Number: 1428

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this might help
circa 1935

torggy

Post Number: 1429

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wish I could find a picture of the prespective that Blondie's drawing shows. If anyone out there has one please send it to me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1358

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a good picture. typing room was bottom right.
What a shame it burnt down.

There must be a picture out there of the school as it was when we went, the new/old.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 160

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can see it now. That is amazing how they took out the door and made that old front section into classrooms, etc. Thank you.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The principals office was just to the left of the entryway. The stairs went up to the main floor, not the basement. That old typing room you all refer to at the bottom of those stairs on the side was the kitchen when I was there. We ate in the old "gymnasium", which was right across the hall.

Had a good trip back Torggy, rain all the way thru WA though.

torggy

Post Number: 1430

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still do not know how anyone could call that little room a "gymnasium". But I do remember it being called that.

We keep hoping all that "rain in WA" will keep the Californians atta here. So tell all your friends about it. Problem is it hasn't seemed to work so far.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that I was sitting out on the deck typing the message. 81 degrees and clear! That's why we don't like to venture too far away. Not to worry, Torggy!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1359

Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The stairs on the end of the old building went down and up, not in the new part.

Yes in the new part main entry, it was the Principal office to the left, and library and hall to class rooms in the new building. when you came in the front door, there was the Gym, then to the right of that was the bathrooms.
Directly to the right when you came in, was the teachers lounge and Nurses room, and then the stairs to the old part. There are some pictures on here of classes standing on those steps.

We only ate in the new lunch room, as when I came to CV the new part was on. So, yes the typing room was down in the basement then. Don't know if they kept it down there after I graduated or not.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 122

Posted on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the main entrance there were stairs to the right going up and down. Going down was to the shop. A drawing room was hallway like. The typing room was still in the lower floor to the right of the old part. Across the hall was a small room we called the dungeon. It was very hot and the room was used for painting up school posters fro the big games and homecoming. I had a study hall in the dungeon but Moe would only check on us once in a while. That is were the streak came to life. Mr. Udovich would check on us while he taught typing.

Grangers room was above the typing room.

The middle room where the old entrance was located was Mr. Hyland who taught gym and health.

The room on the top floor to the left was Mr. Nygard's room for his class.

Across the hall from Nygard's room was the lab.

Middle room facing the back side was Vern Nelson's clsss room.

Across the hall from Granger was Mr. Hermanson's room.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1361

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy, I know you posted some CV buttons on the forum, but I couldn't find them. So not sure which ones you put on here.
My aunt found a tin with CV and Agate buttons, and I thought I would put the CV ones on here sometime soon.

torggy

Post Number: 1431

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would love to see them Blondie

1964 button

1969 button

Of course the class of "69" had to have a square button to be different. Just like our psycodelic(sp) orange and beet pink annual

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1362

Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did come across your annual! I think I have 64 button, so won't scan that.

torggy

Post Number: 1434

Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The trip to Knife River is sure gonna look differant now.

To bad they couldn't save the DM&IR Safety first signs.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/152036/

torggy

Post Number: 1439

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG!! What a change this is going to be for my visits home! It was always such a great place to run into old friends!

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/156197/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1410

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know what, it has been about 4 years since we have been in there, and when we were it was dead. I know people that used to frequent the place quit going there after it was sold. So this doesn't surprise me at all. Anytime we drive by there, it looks so dead, where years back there always seemed to be a lot of cars parked there.
Torggy, I guess you will just have to meet up at the Lighthouse now.

torggy

Post Number: 1440

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Lighthouse is a great place and I am sure will be glad to take up the slack.

For so many years it was so great to stop into the Castle and see Sternberg. Because almost all CV'ers stopped there Andy had the latest scoop on almost everyone. I delivered papers there as a kid and my sister worked there for several years.

Remember when the place looked like this?
lakeview castle early

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAPPY EASTER

torggy

Post Number: 1476

Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bus driver, of Two Harbors, is being held on preliminary charges of four counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct during his duties as a school bus driver, the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office said. He allegedly sexually assaulted four North Shore Community School students between the ages of 6 and 10.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/165308

torggy

Post Number: 1480

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More of the bus driver story:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/167774/

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Classes of 1960 and 61, the time is drawing near for the reunion at Duluth Town Hall on August 13th. If you are planning on attending, please submit your registration forms as soon as possible. We need to submit an accurate count to our caterer. Looking forward to seeing you all.

torggy

Post Number: 1485

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/172902/

Lakeview Castle off the hook in fatal crash
A St. Louis County jury has found the now-defunct Lakeview Castle not liable for a fatal 2008 car crash that occurred after an intoxicated customer left the bar.
By: Candace Renalls, Duluth News Tribune

SendPrint
Twin Ports Law
Divorce & Family Law - Immigration - Estate Planning

Previousview all offers | sign up for email offers | add your businessA St. Louis County jury has found the now-defunct Lakeview Castle not liable for a fatal 2008 car crash that occurred after an intoxicated customer left the bar.

In the trial before State District Court Judge Eric Hylden this week, jurors considered two cases filed after the Nov. 15, 2008, head-on collision. The crash left the customer, Kevin Fryke, 39, of Duluth, dead, and severely injured the driver of the other car, Lisa Fitzsimmons, 20, of Duluth.

In separate dram shop lawsuits, Fitzsimmons and Fryke’s parents sought more than $50,000 in damages from Lakeview Castle, claiming the bartender and waitress sold alcoholic beverages to an obviously intoxicated man.

The two cases were consolidated for trial.

After a three-day civil trial this week in Duluth and four hours of deliberations, jurors found no damages were warranted for Michael and Linda Fryke.

“I’m extremely disappointed,” said James Balmer, the Fryke family’s attorney. “I felt that we put forth plenty of evidence to find against Lakeview Castle. The purpose of the dram shop law, which was the basis of our action, is to get taverns and bars to do their part to keep drunk drivers off the road. We felt we had plenty of evidence that they failed to do that.”

The jury did find Fitzsimmons — who has since married and is now Lisa Sorvik — deserving of $603,316 in damages. But because the seven jurors found the bartender and waitress faultless, she will not receive the damages.

“The issue was whether or not Lakeview Castle had made an illegal sale to Kevin Fryke,” explained attorney Steve Reyelts, who represented Lakeview Castle. “The jury found no illegal sale to an obviously intoxicated person, so the jury exonerated the bartender and server.”

Fryke’s blood-alcohol level at the time of his autopsy was 0.261, more than three times the legal limit to drive, court documents said.

Experts on both sides testified that Fryke’s blood-alcohol level would have been 0.23 to 0.25 when he left the bar at 11:30 p.m., Reyelts said.

But Reyelts’ expert also testified that experienced drinkers don’t necessarily show signs of obvious intoxication. Moreover, no eye witnesses at the bar that night said Fryke was obviously drunk.

Reyelts believes that is what swayed the jury.

“This was a very high blood-alcohol level, but people who drink on a regular basis can do an incredibly good job of functioning,” he said.

According to court documents, Fryke and his girlfriend had been to two bars that day before going to the Lakeview Castle for dinner, then lingering at the bar, drinking. They left about 9:30 p.m. and went home. But they had a squabble and Fryke promptly returned to the Lakeview Castle alone, where he drank alcohol for two more hours.

Within minutes of Fryke leaving the bar, the crash occurred at the intersection of McQuade and Paul roads. Fryke’s vehicle caught fire, burning him to death. Fitzsimmons, who suffered two broken legs at the thighs, survived by crawling from the burning wreckage, documents said.

The Lakeview Castle, long a fixture at 5135 North Shore Drive, closed Jan. 1 because of growing expenses, a spokesperson said.

torggy

Post Number: 1490

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys I got a request today for a picture of the front of CV showing both the old part and the new part with the little Clover Valley school #92 sign. Or maybe just showing both sides of the school. I have been looking for a good one of these for a long time.

Can anyone out there help us?

If you can send the biggest version you have to
torggy@twoharborsforum.com

Thanks!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1565

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, wouldn't we all like a nice picture like that.

torggy

Post Number: 1491

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should ask for pictures more often. Got a couple good ones. Though still not the one I have been looking for.
clover valley school

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1567

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you know the date on this?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1568

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what happened, it just says your image here?

torggy

Post Number: 1493

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know the guys in this pic?
ken nyberg B-ball team

torggy

Post Number: 1494

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not know the date. And for some reason my internet dropped out while uploading the picture.

This is not the school but is the Clover Valley community church. It is old, I would say mid thirties?

cv community church

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That' my Uncle Kenneth, second from right in back row. He's Bobby's Dad.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1569

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the one second from right,(front) looks like an Aho. One in back second from left,(back) looks like Lundgren.
Bigguy should be able to come to the rescue on this.

torggy

Post Number: 1495

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where is the basketball picture taken?

torggy

Post Number: 1496

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And a good picture of Bloomingdale.

bloomingdale

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1570

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice pictures

torggy

Post Number: 1498

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus the Nyberg homestead showing the Winters place across the road.

nyberg home

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1571

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Both are still standing too!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good photos! I'm afraid I have to cop out on the Basketball photo. If Cindy can tell me what years her uncle was there, I can narrow it down. I will get names but it will take me awhile. I'll keep you all posted. It looks like maybe in the 40s.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1572

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is one from 1948 "Cloverette" Album Actually I think I posted this once before on another thread.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration