Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Things < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1363

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy you class sure had the smallest button

I know it looks huge on here, but believe you me it is small.

(Message edited by Blondie on November 08, 2009)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1364

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They had two buttons this year. Someone must have had tape of some sort across the bottom one.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1365

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess my cousin put her name on this button with Sparkles.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1366

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two of these buttons

OKAY, lets Boogie, this one I really like!

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1432

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are great!

Now that I see the one that looks like a basketball I remember seeing them. That one from 1974 has to be the last one doesn't it?

The Cavalier in the 1960 sure looks like the swashbuckeling pirate. Sure differant than the guy with the frilly cuffs and lacy collar.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1367

Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a few more to scan.
Yes, the 60 and 64 are the way I remember our Cavalier.
Yes, I believe 74 was the last year for good old CV.
I have no idea why my uncle Bob saved these, but glad he did, as good remembrance for a school no longer in existence.

bigguy
Regular Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny, I don't remember that button! I remember selling them though. The Homecoming Queen was selected by the number of buttons she sold! I think Laurel MacLean Truscott won it. I'll be most embarressed if I'm wrong!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1372

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is such a nice picture of the queen and her court in your annual bigguy. Back then they went all out for homecomings.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1373

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well here are the last of my buttons

torggy

Post Number: 1433

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are great buttons Blondie. I love how they went from the hippo in 73 to "lets boogie" in 74.

I missed the 76 all class thing. Never even heard of it. The button is realy cool though! Has that picture of the old part we have been talking about.

Ever wonder why it seems all the other schools had the big homecoming for football and CV always had it for basketball? Though the fall bonfires were fun.

Wheres that? LOL

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1375

Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never made it either to the 76 runion, believe it was held at the Hotel Duluth.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The class of 1960 reunion committee is trying to locate Rose Udenberg. If there is anyone reading this website who knows how to contact her, please let us know.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those of you reading this from the classes of 1960 and 1961, we have located Rose Udenberg Hanson and Joe Pearson. We are still trying to locate Judy Center Gates regarding our class reunion next August. Anyone from the class of 62 reading this that has contact with her brother Roddy, please respond and we'll make arrangements to contact you offline.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1390

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot I had this even, just came across it in my jewels!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1435

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, now there is a rare piece of jewelry!

Is that something you bought the letters for ourself?

Snowing here in the great Northwest. Great day to watch football, Vikes won and Dallas lost.

Heather (Libby) Mindestrom visited Capt Nylen last week. Was great to see her again. One on the topics was the hay rides at the Fish Fry. Wonder if the people on the Old North Shore road ever got tired of finding straw in their mailboxes?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1391

Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Margie Gustafson has one also, as I saw her today and mentioned it to her. she also said she/her family have all the annuals from back in the 40's until it closed.

I believe we bought the bracelet just like it was. It is a heafty piece of work, that is why it lasted like it has.

That is funny about straw in the mailboxes.

People are wishing for snow here that is for sure.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1401

Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From our house to your house!

torggy

Post Number: 1438

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas to all you CV'ers out there. Be carefull in your travels and may all your Christmas wishes come true.
christmas

(Message edited by torggy on December 23, 2009)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1413

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was reminded today of how cold it was when I was a kid.

We moved a lot, every two years, as we rented, and not a one of those houses was very warm. The first one we rented from Obergs, the log house was really cold that I remember, and the windows always had beautiful frost displays on them.(all our houses back then we rented had this)
The last one we rented from Lundquists also was cold. We had an oil stove in the living room, and had a wood/gas in the kitchen, and believe you me both were going on cold winter days. I slept upstairs, so it was not too bad up there.

I remember as a kid when I stayed at grandma's she would put HOT water in a hot water bottle and put at the foot of the bed for my aunt and I. Or,sometimes she would use rocks or bricks she heated up and wrapped and put at the foot.

The first year after we married, we rented a house out in Segog. It had a furnace in the floor in the kitchen/living room. Our big bathroom was off our bedroom with no direct heat source there. We would have ice formed all around the baseboards in there. Taking a shower was really quick believe you me!!! I think our water froze a few times there, as no basement. Needless to say we only spent one winter there!!

torggy

Post Number: 1441

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Houses back then sure did not have much insulation. If any!

When we lived in Waldo Dad used to use the tractor to push snow up against the house to insulate it. The lower half of the windows were blocked by the snow. Made already short and dark days even shorter and darker.

We had a big coal furnace in the basement with a coal bin and a hopper with a worm drive to deliver the coal to the fire. Used to have to take out the ashes and the clinkers. Tried to spread them on the steps and walkways while still warm so as to melt the snow and ice.

When we used to stay at the hunting cabin in the winter I can remember the floor covered in frost. You learned not to swing your bare feet out of the warm sleeping bag and onto the linoleum floor. Your feet would actually stick like your tongue to a flag pole. Would have to wait for someone to warm some water to unstick your feet.

Hope you all stay warm.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1415

Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember my dad shoveling snow around all the houses that we lived in. It was so nice when he built our new home with a basment!!
It is 5 above out there, but soon the temp will start dropping.

torggy

Post Number: 1442

Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think they’re going to end up phasing out the entire [French River] hatchery in four or five years,” said Superior’s Dexter Nelson, president of the Duluth Charter Captains Association.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/156513/

Would be hard to imagine French River without the hatchery

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting. I spoke with someone last summer who told me they were going to eliminate planting non-native species and a Kamloop is not a native species. I spent a lot of time at that hatchery as a kid. My granddad Sundstrom was the second in command under Ben Gustafson.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the Coldwater Hatchery will be not stocking the Kamloops like before. The Coldwater Hatchery was built in 1975 and is on top of the hill behind the first hatchery buliding. The lower hatchery had the jars of walleye eggs. Those guys would work on stream improvement. They had outdoor ponds with lake trout and brook trout when it first open. They were going to take the eggs from the stocked ponds. They had plans to build another building but never did because of the cost to produce fish.

torggy

Post Number: 1443

Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't they have some of the strangest things in jars? I remember there being shelves lined with big jars that had weird and distorted fish, embryos and who knows what else. Wasn't there a big old turtle in one of the tanks?

My step-uncle Rolly worked there for years also.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Rolly and the stream improvement crews. At that time the hatchery employed a lot of people. In fact, some of the Jackson boys worked there in the summer when school was out. I recall the jars. One had unborn deer twins from a doe that had been hit by a car. This was back in the 40s so those jars you're referring to have been there for a long time. It was also very common in those days for them to be seaming nets upstairs. The hatchery is a landmark and I hope they keep it there. I would assume the other hatchery on the hill will remain since it's federal. Maybe they'll take over the state one.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 125

Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Hatchery on top of the hill is the Trout hatchery that raises the kamloops. It is a state hatchery. The lower hatchery would catch the trout in the rivers and strip the eggs, but the upper hatchery would raise the trout. Then fisheries would come to pick up the yearlings to plant in either streams or lakes in northeastern Minnesota.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1420

Posted on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see in a little article in the sports section of the paper today, where people can send their comments in about the plans for the Hatchery.
In case anyone is interested here is the e-mail address.
Pam.hetland@state.mn.us

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just completed an email to Pam Hetland asking for clearification of the state's intentions. The article said it would affect five employees and there appears to be far more than five that come to work at the old hatchery. I walk by there every morning in the summer and there are way more cars than that coming to work in the morning. This leads me to believe they are referring to the newer one on the hill where Ben Gustafson used to live. I'll keep you all posted, assuming I hear from Pam.

Thanks, Blondie, for providing the email address.

sparky
Regular Poster
Username: sparky

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone know where Greg Claflin is these days?

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have received a response from Pam Hetland at DNR, French River. She indicated the hatchery affected is the newer hatchery up on the hill. It does not affect the headquarters hatchery at the bottom of the hill (the older one). Good news! Hopefully, those employees at the affected one can transfer to other sites.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1423

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad you got a response back

torggy

Post Number: 1446

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is good news. Hard to imagine the French without a hatchery. Even the orginal road down from the Old North Shore Road went to the hatchery.

Thanks for finding that out Bigguy!

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be great if the Duluth paper would get all the facts before printing the article. This is a good example of how it can create unnecessary concern throughout the neighborhood. Could it be that journalists are getting lazy?!?

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get your snowshovels ready back there in the Midwest. We've got a real barnburner of a storm going on here in Northern California and I think it's headed in your direction. Even thunder and lightning which doesn't happen very often. Just had a big chunk of tree come down and take out part of the neighbor's fence. The rest of the tree is precariously hanging on.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1429

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they are talking ice for here. Just as soon have snow though.
We saw on TV how bad it was out there.

torggy

Post Number: 1447

Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is great here. Temps in the 50's, not much rain. Keeps up we are going to have to start mowing lawns soon. Yuk

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 939

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not only No. CA but, So CA as well. we have been having El Nino weather since Monday and rain every day. We have had 5 inches so far and Thursday through Friday are predicted to bring 3-5 more inches of rain. So hope this old slab floor doesn't get any water through the back door.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1430

Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stay safe out there in California, watching it on TV, it looks terrible.
I know this is headed our way, that is what is scary, how much snow will we get or how much of it will be that terrible winter mix we had over Cmas.

Torggy your temps I would love to see. From what the weather said this morning, after our wintery mix weather weekend, the temps will be only in the very low teens if that for a high!!!

(Message edited by Blondie on January 21, 2010)

valleygirl
Pro Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 64

Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey "bigguy"! Isn't that strange that I also had a granddad Sundstrom? Even got to play in his apple trees and climb all over the reels for the fishnets. You? Thinking you are a little older.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, it's me. Formerly LWM. Hur star det till? (Svenska)

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 65

Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jag är fin. Tack. Hur är du?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1451

Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

valleygirl where have you been, thought you left the country!

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl, tack bra(Svenske). Those of you that don't speak swedish, tack bra means very well, thank you. I had to clarify that because in english it doesn't come out that way. Valley girl asked me how I am. Now we'll get back to english. I started it so it's my fault!!!!We were brought up in swedish and english speaking households.

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 66

Posted on Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, Blondie, very close. Leaving the country that is. Border to border yearly. I guess I have been away from the Forum for awhile. Nice to still see familiar names.

torggy

Post Number: 1453

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More news from the French River Hatchery:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/159917/

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 950

Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The system worked for nine days after going online in November 2008"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------

It would seem to me that whoever they bought it from, would be responsible to make it work...

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't suppose anyone really wants to hear that I'm tired of winter. It just won't go away! We had rain again today and temps in the 50's! They say it will warm up to 70 again later in the week. Waiting for Spring!
Happy Valentine's Day All!

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trees are starting to blossom here in Northern California, still having rain, which we needed.

I agree with bassman regarding the hatchery problem. It would seem to me that the product should be warranteed and the vendor should stand behind it!

Any one from the class of 1960 reading this website, you will be receiving a letter with an application to attend the 50 year reunion. That letter should arrive in late March or early April.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This reunion also includes the class of 1961, my apologies for the oversite!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1461

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

theres an article in the paper today about the Gypsy moths, and they said they found high numbers of them near Clover Valley High School

torggy

Post Number: 1454

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny they should be there. Maybe one of Mr. Anderson's experiments run amok.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1462

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sure took a long time..

torggy

Post Number: 1455

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would fit right in with one of his fairy tales! LOL

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a challenge for everyone. Does anybody know how Bloomingdale and Clover Valley got their names? The preceding schools were just schools 90 and 91. Blondie, Howard might know or maybe Ed Engleson. Lets see what we can find out!

torggy

Post Number: 1456

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a good question. I thought there was something in the "Roots of the past" about how Clover Valley got its name. Well have to break the book out and look I guess.

torggy

Post Number: 1457

Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This does not address the name of the school directly but it does say at least who is responsiable for the area being named Clover Valley.
clover valley gets its name

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting! I have that book so I need to dig it out and re-read it. Nothing on Bloomingdale I assume. I think Howard Abrahamson or Ed Engleson might have some scoop on that.

torggy

Post Number: 1458

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya, blame it on the Farmer Club. It is on page 107.

Did not find anything about the naming of Bloomingdale though.

The article above mentions that Matt Jackson had a store and post office. Is that the building that used to be where Schmidts lived? On the Ryan Road next to the tracks. Which is gone now?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1466

Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got off the phone with Howard, and he is so glad to hear that we are still trying to keep our history going.

He said, Bill Young told him that Clover Valley got it's name when settlers came up the Homestead Road(not called that back then), and there were no tree's, but nothing but beautiful clover blooming. So it was named hence Clover Valley, which makes sense.

For Bloomingdale, it was the wild flowers that were blooming so beautiful in that area. Again he said there were not many tree's in the area.

In the book it talks of Molde, but he said Molde was not by Clover Valley, it was up near the Fox Farm Road. He said he remembers where it was. He was talking about a couple of his relatives, Thure and Einar who used to drive up to Molde Hall on the weekend,as there were always dances and watch when men would come out to their cars and take a swig of Moonshine and hide it again....well, you know what, Thure and Einar would go sneak a swig after and got pretty loaded. That is so funny.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, Schmidt's house was formerly Matt Jackson's Store. Schmidt's bought it from Carl and Ethel Anderson after they built their new store down at the bottom of the Balsam (Ryan)Road on the highway (well, next to the highway!). Carl and Ethel Anderson owned Nolte's store before Nolte's bought it. The new Anderson's Store and Motel was originally a burger joint and a gas station. It had a counter with stools which they eventually removed and enlarged their grocery store. Ethel was a Berquist and grew up on the hill by the old missle base on the Berquist Road.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie mentioned Einer Abrahamson in her posting. He was a well digger and dug one heckuva lot of wells in the French River area. I remember when we were kids most of our neighborhood got new wells dug by Einer. The old wells were mostly hand dug and shallow. It didn't take much to entertain us kids. We would stand and watch that digger pound up and down and then once in awhile he would bring up a hollow tube full of water and test it for softness. That process took days where now it's hours. Einer always took time to talk with all the neighborhood kids, he was a kind man. It was not a problem knowing where he was at in the neighborhood. You could hear that machine pounding a hole in the ground.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1467

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

living down below Abrahamson's hill, we didn't need his digger for a well. Believe it or not my dad hand dug his well on the corner there. So many springs in that area, it was easy to get water. I remember when someone came to "Witch" for water, they had a V shaped willow branch, and they walked on our property "witching" for water and I do remember it started bobbing up and down like crazy, and this person counted the bobs, and said that each bob was one foot. I think it only bobbed about 10 to 15 times, so that was how far down my dad had to dig to hit water. That is just where my dad dug his well!

I remember I tried it, and it did the same thing for me, so as a kid I was quite impressed by this and have never forgotten it.

Being so many springs in the area we had to have a sump pump in our basement.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1468

Posted on Friday, February 26, 2010 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

howard called and was talking about the CV and Bloomingdale names.
He said he talked to Jerry Driscoll and he confirmed the CV name, when settlers came in the area, it was nothing but fields of clover, he heard the same thing.

As far as Bloomingdale, he said, not sure on that one, except what he told me prior.

Bigguy, Howard is a wealth of history, I keep telling him to record this stuff, it will be lost when he goes. Things he didn't tell me tonight, unreal, just unreal. I was trying to write it down, but gave up after a few sentences... He said Bill Young was a wealth of info, but he is gone now also. Like Howard said, the younger generation doesn't care, it will be gone forever!!!!!

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's fun to get Howard started on history of the area. He truly enjoys talking about it. Me too! I sometimes see Carl Jackson in the summer. He, of course, grew up on top of Abrahamson's hill and would be a wealth of information also. I see Ed Engleson every summer so I'll try to tap his brain also! Ed's son is the current Clifton Fire Chief.

torggy

Post Number: 1459

Posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found another Duluth Web cam:
http://24.158.18.67:8080/home/JViewer.html
Has a neat view of the shore showing some ice right now.
It is provided by:
http://www.theinnonlakesuperior.com/

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, bigguy! Heard the news? Son and wife pregnant! Fraternal twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1478

Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats...this is their first right?

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl, no I hadn't heard. I need to send an email. Exciting for them-and you!!!

valleygirl
Pro Poster

Post Number: 69

Posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In MN now. Cities area. Spent yest. and plan today with grandson and friends. Will head north tomorrow. Look forward to seeing all. Yes, Blondie, this is their first. Grandson quite excited about becoming new brother also.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 128

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pole barn full of cats in Clover Valley was a news story on channel 10 this morning. The owner of the Clover Valley pole barn also owned a house in Two Harbors which was full of cats. A search warrant was used by Township Police in Clover Valley to search the pole barn but the owner let the police into his home in Two Harbors. Many of the cats are being shipped to animal shelters.

torggy

Post Number: 1461

Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cats Removed From Two Northland Properties
http://www.wdio.com/article/stories/S1474014.shtml?cat=11802

You hear these stories every once in awhile. Hard to understand the reasoning.

torggy

Post Number: 1462

Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More of the same story:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/163456/

Anyone know where the trailer in Duluth Township is at?

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 129

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aerial photo from 9-10-1939. I wast looking at the DNR website at aerial views of the area. I could copy this photo. Many other could be viewed. You can see how the driveways went around the school.

torggy

Post Number: 1465

Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Max. That is a neat picture. Looks like the busses must have let everyone off in back. Looks like bushes planted along the road and what a straight line in the middle of the field.

Could you send me a copy Maxx? Oh and maybe the link where you found it? Thanks that would be great.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1486

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloomingdale School
Uncle Howard called this morning to tell me he found in the original heritage book how Bloomingdale got its name, and I also found it in the new verison or Roots in the Past page 122 under Charles Berquist, his wife was from Wisc. and she named the school after a town in Wisconsin. It is in Vernon County which is south west part of the state.

Mr. Berquist had a sister who passed away, and she was the first one to be buired at Lakeview Cemetery at Palmers.

torggy

Post Number: 1466

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are little gems of knowledge all over that book. Thanks for the info Blondie. I looked in the altas for a Bloomingdale in Wisconsin but could not find one. Either it went away or is to small to make the cut.

I have had a couple people send me the link to the picture that Maxx sent above. Problem is you have to go to the DNR site and kind of find it yourself. Good news is there are all kinds of pictures starting in the '30s. It is kind of hard to get your bearings though because all the modern day landmarks are not there. Some of the pictures are great though.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/landview.html

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1487

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy, I looked it up on the internet, Wikipedia(sp)? and it us unincorporated, so that means if you blink your eyes, you will miss it.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, tell Howard thanks for the fine detective work! Maxx, thanks for the website info photo stuff. Are your golf clubs out yet?

torggy

Post Number: 1467

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie, that sounds like my kinda place.

There is a great picture of French river from 1939 showing the old Balsum road going down to the hatchery. Also Greenwood road is there but does not go all the way through. Fun stuff.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 130

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is another photo from 9/10/1939. I believe the Bloomingdale school is on the far left. The French River Store is on the far right. There is a farm in between the two land marks. It is so easy to spend lots of time looking at the photos on the web site. Lots of ponds that are in the township were not there in the 30ies. Some roads are no longer there.

(Message edited by Madd_Maxx on April 01, 2010)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1488

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is what was called Nolte's store on far right when I was growing up.

torggy

Post Number: 1468

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! Great shot. That would be the Walstrom farm as I was growing up. Home of the Owls.

They are fun to look at. I swear I can see old railroad grades or maybe old tote roads.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The farm was originally the Heino farm. Interesting to see the ball fields at the school were there. We used them also, same locations. The third grade field was on the east side and the first and second grade was on the side where the tricking poles were.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1489

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how well I remember the tricking poles, loved them! Even when school was out, I would go down to the school and play on those poles.

I couldn't remember who the farm was originally.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1490

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 172

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I'm new compared to some of you "old timers" but I thought the French River Store was on the corner of Hwy 61 and Ryan Rd. The church behind it. Greenwood Lane to the left. The RR tracks and then the split lane highway. Wasn't Bloomingdale on the Ryan? (I didn't attend school there.)

torggy

Post Number: 1469

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nolte's was orginally called the "French River Store".

Here is a shot of the French River area 1939. You can see where the orginal road went across the tracks and down to the hatchery. If you look close you can see a small dock below Wonderland in the upper right corner.
french river

torggy

Post Number: 1470

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also see the natural little harbor that Jhalmer settled into.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 173

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Torggy. Fascinating. Maps are hard for me to read unless I have a building to landmark something. I'm not sure where the mouth of the French River is but I'll keep studying it. Thanks, again.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, can you move that photo to the west a little? I'd like to see the shore and what was where Greenwood Road is. I mentioned before when I was a kid Greenwood didn't go all the way thru to Spuce Court. We had to push our bikes down the creeks and up the other side. I know that Zincs lived up there but their driveway went down to the highway as did Arvid Stromgren's (behind your folks place). Greenwood Road west of Zinks was there when I was a kid. In fact, there were homes on the lower and upper side. Mattsons, Walter L. Johnson, Lee Johnson, Victor Sundstrom, Rudy Gustafson, Myrtle Serman, John Bergendahl (uncle of Hjalmer Mattson), and Big Duke Elickson. Upper side coming back east had Oscar Hellum, George Sundstrom, Pete Dahlberg, Helge Jackson, Gust Dahlberg, Bud Lundin. That's the Greenwood Road section I grew up below, and who was there when I was a kid.

Below on what is now the Scenic Highway, Gust Dahlberg's fish stand, heading west was John Cole, Adolph Sundstrom (my granddad), John Gustafson, John Sundstrom, Fred Cole, Punk Olson, Newman's (from Newman's pharmacy in West Duluth), and Andrew Carlson.

torggy

Post Number: 1471

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy, click on this link:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/historical_airphotos/show.html?map=/usr/local/ma pserver/apps/mr/landview/landview.map&mode=indexquery&shapeindex=71651&qlayer=in dx_imgpt3_query

and it gives you a small version and a place to click for the large one. It is very intreresting to look at the rest of the picture. It is quite large.

torggy

Post Number: 1472

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the picture Bigguy requested. It shows all the docks that were along the lakeshore. Some of them look pretty big. The lake sure is hard on things though because when I was a kid there in the early '60's there was almost no sign of any of those docks. A few pieces of concrete was all that was left.
french river 2

Bigguy, if Spruce court was to the west and French River was to the east what did they call this area?

torggy

Post Number: 1473

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And this picture has the Hwy 61 McQuade road junction.

http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/landview/historical_airphotos/usda/cir/y1939/cir_05_ 016.jpg

I gotta thank Maxx for finding this site. It is allot of fun.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I am not aware of any name for the area we grew up in, other than French River. I think the Spruce Court name came from Reimer who built a number of the houses over there. I'm going to check with Cliff and my dad to see if they are aware of any name.

The photo shows our neighborhood. The first dock from the left of the photo is the John Sundstrom/John Gustafson fishing location, the next area to the east was my granddad's and then the next was Lee, Arvid and Walter Johnson's. Ed Mattson (Hippo's Grandfather)had a landing right next to my granddad's for awhile.

You can go into the John Fritzen Historical North Shore book that you bought awhile back and see the Sundstrom/Gustafson fish house and net reels.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 131

Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is Stoney Point. The Alseth road is running top to bottom. The fish house had a dock back then. Look at all the shacks. There were many docks along the shore back then. Everyone was trying to make their living fishing. The other photo that was near the Wonderland was Hjalmer Mattsons old dock. It was under the water when I was kid. I took a canoe out there and saw it just off shore.

Hjalmers said he fished off that dock when he was a kid. He showed me photos of some nice lake trout he caught in the early 40ies one time.

torggy

Post Number: 1474

Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are two pictures of Hjalmers place. The first one is 1939 the second is 1961. Look at the size of the hole that guy dug.

torggy

Post Number: 1479

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found a couple articles about the Bomarc Missle base. Thought some might like to see.

Make sure to read the comments section with the first one.
http://www.areavoices.com/attic/?blog=68848

http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/DuluthBOMARCMN.html

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1507

Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MINNESOTA BECAME THE 32ND STATE ON MAY 11, 1858 AND
WAS ORIGINALLY SETTLED BY A LOST TRIBE OF NORWEGIANS SEEKING REFUGE
FROM THE SEARING HEAT OF WISCONSIN'S WINTERS.

THE STATE FLAG OF MINNESOTA CONSISTS OF A BLUE BACKGROUND UPON WHICH
SITS A DESIGN BEST DESCRIBED AS "HOW A 7-YEAR- OLD CITY GIRL WOULD
DRAW A PICTURE TITLED 'LIFE ON THE FARM'".

MINNESOTA GETS IT'S NAME FROM THE SIOUX INDIAN WORD "MAH-NEE-SOO-TAH",MEANING
"NO, REALLY... THEY EAT FISH SOAKED IN LYE".

THE STATE SONG OF MINNESOTA IS "SOMEDAY THE VIKINGS WILL... AW, NEVER MIND".

THE MALL OF AMERICA IN BLOOMINGTON, MINNESOTA COVERS 9.5 MILLION SQUARE FEET
AND HAS ENOUGH SPACE TO HOLD 185,000 IDIOT TEENAGERS YAPPING AWAY ON CELL PHONES.

MADISON, MINNESOTA IS KNOWN AS "THE LUTEFISK CAPITAL OF THE WORLD".
..... AVOID THIS CITY AT ALL COSTS.

THE STATE MOTTO OF MINNESOTA IS, "WHERE EVEN A MAN WHO WEARS A FEATHER
BOA CAN BE GOVERNOR."

DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS HAS AN ENCLOSED SKYWAY SYSTEM COVERING 52 BLOCKS,
ALLOWING PEOPLE TO LIVE, WORK, EAT, AND SLEEP WITHOUT EVER GOING
OUTSIDE. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS IS THAT A NORWEGIAN OCCASIONALLY
TURNS UP MISSING.

CARTOONIST CHARLES M. SHULTZ WAS BORN IN MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA AND
GREW UP IN ST. PAUL. HE WAS THE ONLY ARTIST TO ACCURATELY DEPICT THE
PERFECTLY CIRCULAR HEADS OF MINNESOTA NATIVES.

THE HORMEL COMPANY OF AUSTIN, MINNESOTA PRODUCES 6 MILLION CANS OF
SPAM A YEAR, EVEN THOUGH NO ONE ACTUALLY EATS THAT CRAP.

WATER SKIS WERE INVENTED IN 1922 IN LAKE CITY, MINNESOTA BY RALPH
SAMUELSON. SADLY, HE DROWNED SHORTLY AFTERWARDS, AS THE MOTORBOAT
HADN'T BEEN INVENTED YET.

ST. PAUL, MINNESOTA WAS ORIGINALLY NAMED "PIG'S EYE", AFTER FRENCH
CANADIAN WHISKEY TRADER PIERRE "PIG'S EYE" PARRANT. ITS "TWIN CITY",
MINNEAPOLIS, WAS KNOWN AS "PIG'S COLON".

THE STAPLER WAS INVENTED IN SWINGLINE, MINNESOTA BY A CHUBBY, MUMBLING
MAN NAMED MILTON IN 1899. THE CITY WAS MYSTERIOUSLY DESTROYED BY FIRE
LATER THAT YEAR.

PELICAN RAPIDS IS HOME TO A 16-FOOT-TALL CONCRETE PELICAN, WHICH
SUBSISTS ON A DIET OF 4-FOOT-LONG CONCRETE FISH.

IN 1973, OLIVIA, MINNESOTA, ERECTED A 25-FOOT TALL FIBERGLASS CORN COB
TO CELEBRATE ITS RICH, AGRICULTURAL HERITAGE. THEN IN 1974, IT WAS
EATEN BY A 50-FOOT STATUE OF BABE THE BLUE OX. YES, MINNESOTA HAS A
LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH STATUE CANNIBALISM.

MINNESOTA LICENSE PLATES ARE BLUE & WHITE AND CONTAIN THE PHRASE
"BLIZZARDS ON INDEPENDENCE DAY - YOU GET USED TO IT."

FRANK C. MARS, FOUNDER OF THE MARS CANDY CO. WAS BORN IN NEWPORT,
MINNESOTA. HIS 3 MUSKETEERS CANDY BAR ORIGINALLY CONTAINED THREE BARS
IN ONE WRAPPER, EACH FILLED WITH A DIFFERENT FLAVOR NOUGAT -
CHOCOLATE, SPAM, AND LUTEFISK.

FIRST FULLY AUTOMATIC POP-UP TOASTER WAS INVENTED IN MINNEAPOLIS,
MINNESOTA IN 1926. MINNESOTA'S STRINGENT BREAD - CONTROL LAWS
CURRENTLY ONLY ALLOW RESIDENTS TO OWN -- SEMI-AUTOMATIC TOASTERS.

TONKA TRUCKS CONTINUE TO BE MANUFACTURED IN MINNETONKA, MINNESOTA,
DESPITE THE THOUSANDS OF GI JOE DOLLS KILLED BY THEM ANNUALLY IN
ROLLOVER ACCIDENTS. NO AIRBAGS, NO SEAT BELTS. THESE THINGS ARE
DEATHTRAPS, I TELL YA!

AUTHOR LAURA INGALLS WILDER WAS RAISED AT WALNUT GROVE, MINNESOTA,
AND WAS FAMOUS FOR WRITING THE "LITTLE HOUSE" SERIES OF BOOKS, AS WELL
AS INVENTING THE "SPAM DIET" - WHICH CONSISTS OF LOOKING AT A PLATE
OF SPAM UNTIL YOU LOSE YOUR APPETITE. MUCH LIKE THE "LUTEFISK DIET".

THE SNOWMOBILE WAS INVENTED IN ROSEAU, MINNESOTA SO AS TO ALLOW
FAMILIES A MEANS OF ATTENDING INDEPENDENCE DAY PICNICS.

MINNESOTANS ARE ALMOST INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM WISCONSINITES. THE ONLY
WAY TO TELL THEM APART IS TO ASK IF THEY VOTED FOR MONDALE IN '84.

frosted_flakes
Pro Poster
Username: frosted_flakes

Post Number: 924

Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am posting here because I think the CV crowd would have the answer, if anyone did.
Those shacks on the North side of the freeway, about 1/4 mile East of Cant Road. What's the story with those? I think the near one was built after the FW opened, out of slab wood and advertised something, but the other looks like it may have been more substantial. A deer shack? Whose?
Two Harbors. Love it or leave it.
Just leave it alone.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration