Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Passing on 2 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1445

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if you guys well be posting my obit here.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1421

Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya you betcha.

or mine!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1422

Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading an obit in the paper, a Judy Smith, she was from TH. What caught my eye, was that she married Russell Smith in 72...Russell and his then wife lived just up the road from us on the Ryan, and I used to babysit the kids often.

bigguy
Regular Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just heard from DAB's (Dale Backlund class of 55) daughter that he passed away this afternoon. I'm sure an obit will be posted later. He lived in Newark, Ohio for many years. He is survived by his wife Molly and daughters Sharon, Carolyn, son Dale and families. I will miss him, he was part of our family, raised by my uncle and aunt. He was a poster on this website for several years.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1434

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I called Howard, he felt pretty bad, said he was just thinking about him that he should give him a call.
He graduated with my aunt Laraine.
I will have to scan his grad picture and put it on here.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1435

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't get it very good

torggy

Post Number: 1448

Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes he was a poster here and full of fun infomation. I believe he once said that he used to carpool with my grandfather to work in TH. Always wished I could have talked to him more.

Thanks for posting the picture Blondie. What do the numbers mean? Number of years of particaption? If so he was a busy guy. What year did he graduate?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1437

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He graduated in 55.
The numbers are the years, 1 for freshman, and so on. So for basketball and football he was active in that all his high school years.

He worked for awhile on the railroad with my uncle, and then got a job as a mining inspector in Mich. Bigguy probably knows more about Dale.
R.I.P. Dale.

torggy

Post Number: 1449

Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shows how much I pay attention. Bigguy posted what year Dale graduated and the first question I ask is when he graduated. Duh.

Just talked to Mom and Dad and they told me who raised Dale and now it all makes sense. I know I was told the story before but it can take time to understand all of the French River interelationships.

My condolances to Dale and his family as well as to Bigguy and his family.

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My deepest sympathy to Dale's family and to Bigguy and his family.

torggy

Post Number: 1450

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Bigguy for finding this at: http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20100125/OBITUARIES/1250320/1023

NEWARK: Dale A. Backlund, 73 of Newark, passed away peacefully at his home Saturday, January 23, 2010.

Dale was born April 28, 1936 in Hurley, Wisconsin to the late Harold and Ellen Backlund. He attended Cary School, Lincoln Junior High and graduated from Clover Valley High School in Two Harbors, Minnesota.

Dale worked for the D. M. & I.R. Railroad after high school, and returned to work there after serving in the military. He then went to work for the White Pine Copper Company in Michigan. Dale retired from the Mine Safety and Health Administration–U.S. Department of Labor, after 28 years of service.

A veteran of the U.S. Army, serving from 1956-1958, followed by 2 years in the active reserves. Dale was a member of Blessed Sacrament Parish, Knights of Columbus, Sons of the American Legion, Veteran's of Foreign Wars, and the Fraternal Order of the Eagles.

November 3, 1962 Dale married Molly Trier at St. Mary's Church in Hurley, Wisconsin. Dale enjoyed golfing, traveling, and summer vacations on the northern lakes of Wisconsin where he could fish and relax. He was an avid Newark Catholic football, Green Bay Packer, Wisconsin Badger and last but not least an Ohio State Buckeye fan.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Molly (Trier) Backlund; two daughters, Sharon (Vance) Kniffin of Newark, Carolyn (Pete) Hopkins of Perrysburg, Ohio; a son, Dale Backlund of Newark; and his three grandchildren, Bridget and Halley Backlund and Rory Hopkins.

In addition to his parents; he was preceded in death by two brothers, Roderick and Kenneth; and a special uncle, Martin and aunt, Anna Sundstrom, who fostered him through his high school years.

Friends and family may visit from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at the VENSIL-ORR & CHUTE FUNERAL HOME, 1850 W. Main Street, Newark. Vigil services will take place at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. A mass of Christian Burial will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, 378 E. Main Street, Newark, with Rev. Father Jonathon Wilson, celebrant. Burial will be at St. Joseph Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Central Ohio, P.O. Box 430, Newark, Ohio 43058-0430.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1438

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks bigguy for that. Prayers to your family also and Dale's.
I can remember Dale so well when he went to CV, seems just like yesterday.

I just found it in the Duluth paper also.

(Message edited by Blondie on January 26, 2010)

torggy

Post Number: 1451

Posted on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres a link to the Duluth one:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/158561/

torggy

Post Number: 1460

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marie Johnson, 95, formerly of French River, died Thursday, March 11, 2010 in the Barross House in Two Harbors.

Marie was born Nov. 10, 1914 to Frank and Greta (Nielson) Erickson in Duluth.

She grew up in Arnold where she attended grade school, and later Central High School. In the fire of 1918, her family lost their newly built home and had to rebuild. She was confirmed at First Swedish (now Gloria Dei) Lutheran Church, and later was a member of Arnold (now Family of God) Lutheran Church.

After her marriage to Walter Johnson in 1935, they made their home in French River, where Marie was a homemaker and worked at various tourist businesses on the North Shore. She retired from Lakeshore Lutheran Home as dining room manager in 1975. Marie was a member of French River Lutheran Church, and the French River Homesteaders. She enjoyed trips with Walter and was always glad to return home to her family in French River. For the past four years she lived at the Barross House, a wonderful home she appreciated living in, where she made new friends including Leah Worner.

Marie was very kind hearted and showed her family how to care for others. This was passed down from her parents. Grandma Johnson was a fun and loving mother, auntie, grandmother and friend to many. If laughter is the "best medicine" it has given Marie a long and healthy life. Everyone enjoyed the countless coffee parties.

Marie was preceded in death by her parents; her husband of 64 years; a brother, Edward (Margaret) Erickson; and an infant son, Robert Allen Johnson on Feb. 24, 1950.

She is survived by a son, Edward (Jane) Johnson of Duluth; a daughter, Carol (Ray) Leppala of French River; grandchildren, Sheila (Wayne Dahl) Leppala and Tracy (Dale) Torgersen of Two Harbors, Elaine (Robert) James of Duluth, Charlene (Robert) Laiti, and Amy Johnson of White Bear Lake, Lu Ann Leppala, and Gerri (Daniel) Fuentes of French River, Kristin (Matt) Lingle of Sartell, and Lee Johnson of Duluth; great-grandchildren, Bobby (Jessica) and Kyle James, Kylie and Alec Fuentes, Rachael and Dylan Laiti, and Chelsey, Alicia, and Shane Torgersen; and many nieces and nephews.

Marie's family would like to thank the staff at the Barross House, Linda and Val from St. Luke's Hospice, Dr. Allert, Dr. Peterson, and the staff of Lake View Memorial Hospital for their loving care.

VISITATION: 10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. Service, Monday, March 15, 2010 in French River Lutheran Church. Burial will be at Park Hill Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1480

Posted on Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I graduated with Ed. Condolence's to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1463

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Virginia Marie Driscoll, 87, of Albany, formerly of Two Harbors, died on March 22, 2010 at Mother of Mercy Nursing Home, Albany, Minn.

Virginia was born in French River on Sept. 9, 1922 to Leander and Sophia (Johnson) Anderson.

She attended grade school at Bloomingdale Elementary and graduated from Clover Valley High School in 1940. She married Robert Donald Driscoll on December 31, 1940. Virginia worked for the Two Harbors Hospital, volunteered for the VFW, American Legion and Moose Club, and took courses at College of St. Scholastica. She loved reading and gardening and for five years was the gardener for the Woodland Gardens apartments in Duluth.

Virginia is preceded in death by her husband, Robert; son, Steven; daughter, Barbara; grandson, Paul; brothers, Rudolph, Arne, Wildred and William; and sisters, Viola, Verna and Diana.

She is survived by daughters, Marie (Ronald) Bass, Peggy (Frank) Kleiner, Shirley (Steve) Baysinger all of Louisiana, Judy (Brian Crossley) Driscoll, of Minneapolis, Terri (Jerry) Emmerich, of Albany, Minn.; and son, Patrick (Francine) Driscoll of Mississippi; 13 grandchildren, and many great-grandchildren and nieces and nephews.

VISITATION: 10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial Friday, March 26 at 11 a.m. in Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Two Harbors. Burial at Lakeview Palmers Cemetery. Arrangements by Cavallin Funeral Home

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1481

Posted on Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

virginia used to work where I did, but she was a cleaning lady and in our high school years Shirley and I were the best of friends. Her grandson Paul that died was Shirley's son by a previous marriage and I understand he was killed.

I knew Steve had died, but didn't know Barbara had also.

Her sister Verna was married to Ed Holappa. I know who Diana was married to, but it has slipped my memory at the moment.

So Virginia was the last survior of her family.
My sympathy to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1464

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ella Marie Christiansen, 98, Duluth, passed away Tuesday March 23, 2010 in Two Harbor's Sunrise Nursing Home.

Ella was born in Badger, S.D., March 19, 1912 in a rural farming community.

She married Carl Christiansen April 25, 1931 in S.D. and they moved to Minnesota in 1938 and resided in Duluth since 1948.

Ella was a member of the French River Lutheran Church and the Homesteaders group. Her favorite time was family gatherings and cooking for them. Ella's hobbies included reading, history, gardening, sewing and growing flowers.

Ella was preceded in death by her husband, Carl in 1981; daughter, Beverly Kissinger; son, Donald; brothers, Hank, Lester and Richard Henricksen and sister, Marie Husbands.

Survivors include daughters, Karen (David) Olson of Knife River, Jane (Robert) Hummelgard of Moundsview, Minn.; 15 grandchildren and numerous great grandchildren.

FUNERAL SERVICE: 1 p.m. Friday March 26, 2010 with visitation one hour prior to services in the French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Rd. Pastor Greg Garmer will officiate and interment will be at Sunrise Memorial Cemetery. Arrangements by Sunrise Funeral Home.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1482

Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness so many passing on lately. At first it didn't ring a bell who this was, then the light bulb came on. Karen, I remember her, didn't realize she lived in Knife River
Sympathy to the family.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Their home was on the Alseth Road, between the four lane and the scenic highway. Jane was the class of 61. I think Karen was the class of 58. Very nice family.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 171

Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Virginia Driscoll is not the Mrs. Driscoll that taught school in the valley, is she? If not, is Barbara Driscoll the same one that graduated in 1967?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1483

Posted on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No Virginia didn't teach school, that was Harriet Driscoll. Virginia was a stay at home mother back then, and then worked as a cleaning lady where I worked until she retired.

That would be the same Barbara Driscoll

torggy

Post Number: 1475

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Impie Marie (Gustafson) Swanson, 99, passed away April 6, 2010 in Omaha, Neb.

Preceded in death by parents, Gust and Aina Gustafson of Clover Valley, Minn.; husbands, George Sahlstein of Floodwood, Minn., and Ture Swanson of Waukegan, Ill.; sister, Tyyne Karna of Waukegan, Ill.; brother, Niilo Gustafson of Clover Valley, Minn.; and great-granddaughter, Julia Belle Alan of Rio Rancho, New Mexico.

Survived by son, Arthur Edward Sahlstein Sr. and daughter-in-law, Dorothy Sahlstein of Bellevue, Neb.; grandchildren, many nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/165255/

torggy

Post Number: 1477

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Florence Larson Corrus, 90, formerly of Clover Valley, passed away Nov. 25, 2009 in Elgin Ill.

Preceded in death by husband Robert Corrus; parents Axel and Elvira Larson; brothers Raymond, Theodore and Walter.

Survived by brother Carl (Beverly) Larson; one daughter; two sons; seven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and 23 nieces and nephews.

BURIAL: In Elgin, Illinois.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/166928/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1504

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had put in a post prior, but deleted it out as found the obit in the Ely paper. So Torggy if you saw it foret that previous post.

Carol Debeltz of Ely dies
Carol Gene (Borgen) DeBeltz passed away on Sunday, April 25, 2010 in Duluth. She was born November 3, 1945 in Two Harbors Minnesota. She was married for 45 years to Donald J. DeBeltz.

Carol was a graduate of Clover Valley High School. She attended Vermillion Community College where she met her husband Don. They were married for 45 years. Together they built a life working at Dee's Bar. The past 10 years she was employed at the Ely Shopper.

Cancer may have taken her early, but she will always be remembered by her quick wit, beautiful smile, and lasting friendships. Her final days were spent at Saint Mary's Hospital in Duluth being taken care of by an incredible hospice team under the care of Dr. Ketchum. At her side were her closest family members and her devoted sister Joan Zobitz. Many family and friends were witness to her struggle and brought her great strength. Life may taken her early, but the lasting impression of a life well lived and loved is something that all of us strive for.

She was preceded in death by her mother Anne (Marken) Borgen, her father Thor E. Borgen, and three sisters Dolly Swanson, Mildred Privett , Alice Roginski.

Carol spent her years in Ely, Minnesota with her husband Don. Together they had four children: Donald (Marian) DeBeltz, Daniel (Jennifer) DeBeltz, Carrie (Jon) Matthias, and Dean (Cheri) DeBeltz. There are 11 grandchildren:Taylor, Casey, Jon, Sydney, Samantha, Kelly, Cooper, Carena, Conner, Cylvia, and Olivia. Surviving sisters are: Joan Zobitz of Tower and Ida Scott of Babbitt.

A Funeral Mass will be held on Friday, April 30, 2010 at 11:00 A.M. at St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Ely with visitation held one hour prior to the service at the church on Friday. Family arrangements have been entrusted to Kerntz Funeral Home of Ely.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 174

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Carol Borgen very well. She was an upper classman and very nice to the younger classmen. She was a cheerleader along with Barb Mattson. My condolences to her family.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice to see Walfred's fishhouse on your posting, Boon. I knew Walfred and his wife and daughter Delores.

I'm one month away from heading to the northshore for the summer and looking forward to some golf and fishing.

torggy

Post Number: 1478

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That time of year already Bigguy? Wow, time flies. Are you heading straight there or are you going to swing up through the great Northwest?

Dad said his peas are up and the radishes are almost ready to eat. He also says it has been awful dry but knowing him he well have lots of stuff by the time you get there.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I'll be skipping the NW but will probably be up in the fall sometime. I kinda figured your dad would be eating out of his garden already. That's a perfect spot for a garden.

torggy

Post Number: 1481

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Captian spotted this one. He regonized the last name but did not know the person. Anyone out there know her?

Michele Inez (Johnson) Hagglund, 47, passed away Thursday, May 27, 2010, in Clover Valley, Duluth, Minn.

Michele was born April 10, 1963, to Terrance and Louise (Nelson) Johnson at the Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego, Calif. She started school in Two Harbors. Her family moved to Silver Bay for five years, then returned to Two Harbors, where she graduated in 1981. She married Johnny Hagglund in July. They lived in Newburg, N.D. and Minneapolis. She loved children and babysat many children in both cities, returning to Clover Valley, which they made this their permanent home. Jesse was born July 13, 1983, and Andrew was born January 23, 1985. She drove a school bus, worked at Thalassic House for almost 20 years, planning to retire in July. She enjoyed raising beef, pigs and chickens. She planted many varieties of trees and helped Johnny in his general contracting business.

She is survived by her husband, Johnny; sons, Jesse (Misty) of Esko and Andrew of Duluth; one sister, Melanie (John) Majkowski of Brimson and one brother, Myron (Tabitha) Johnson of Mesa, AZ; her parents and grandmother, Margaret Johnson; her grandchildrenm Miles and Avery; nieces, Lilka and Halina and nephew, Roblee.

Memorial service: Wednesday, June 2, at 10 a.m., with visitation one hour prior at the Cremation Society of MN, 4100 Grand Ave., Duluth, 624-5200. Coffee and beverages will be served following; feel free to bring cookies or snacks.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/170134/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1533

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I saw that too. Don't know her, but Johnny Hagglund is very familiar name and believe a Hagglund lived over on the Korkki road at one time or another.

webman
Username: webman

Post Number: 852

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michele Johnson is the daughter of Terry and Louise Johnson of TH. Louise's dad, Stan Nelson, built the Voyageur Motel and Pierre.
The trouble with life is, there's no background music.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1535

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh,now it rings a bell. Just didn't click before.

torggy

Post Number: 1482

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick was a 64 grad of CV:

Richard A. (Rick) Larson, 64, died at home on June 19, 2010, under hospice care.

Rick was born on April 19, 1946, to Theodore and Geraldine Larson in Duluth and attended school in Clover Valley. After graduation he joined the Army National Guard.

On Nov. 25, 1967, Rick married Louise O’Jay and had four children.

He worked construction with his uncle, Earl Williams, and was a custodian for ten years at North Shore Elementary.

In 1970 he became a constable for Duluth Township.

He joined the Two Harbors police department and retired in 1999. During that time he won numerous trophies at the various police pistol shoots. Richard was also a fire warden for 32 years.

His hobbies were mounting deer horns, coin collecting and gardening. Rick enjoyed hunting, fishing, spending time with family and friends at their Kane Lake cabin, and time with all of his buddies at the hunting shack on “Petri Hill.”

Whether it was carpentry, plumbing, or mechanics, Richard was always there to help others.

He was preceded in death by his parents, an infant sister, uncles and aunts and his best friend, his dog, “Regie.”

He is survived by his wife, Louise; daughters, Patty (Charlie) Aune, of Two Harbors, Nancy (Loren) Herrick of Rockland, Maine, Kathy (Shawn) Dewey of Two Harbors; Son, Eric (Jenn) Larson of Two Harbors. Nine grandchildren and five great grandchildren. A memorial service for Rick will be held Saturday, June 26 at 3 p.m. at the American Legion.
http://www.twoharborsmn.com/event/obituary/id/20499/group/Obituaries/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1545

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

surprised it doesn't mention siblings.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 175

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy,
I couldn't find Rick in my 1964 album, nor 65 but I remember his name.

My condolences to his family.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1546

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boon, I found Rick, he was class of 64. I looked in a 61 album. He was 2 years behind me.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 176

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder why his picture and name are not in the 64 album?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1547

Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what years(albums) do you have Boon? Isn't your sis married to someone who graduated in 64? If so ask him if Rick graduated.

tom_koehler
Pro Poster
Username: tom_koehler

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick worked with me in the track department on the DM&IR, for a little while. I remember he and I were on some rail gangs on the range in 1977. He was a good guy to work with and a fun guy to talk to. We got along well.
tom koehler

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 132

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helga must had been in one of the first to graduated from Clover Valley.

Helga E. Nylund, 93, lifelong resident of the Duluth area, passed away peacefully Monday, June 28, 2010, while in Diamond Willow in Cloquet.

She was born May 27, 1917, in Duluth to Hugo and Johanna Hamspinnar. Helga was a graduate of Clover Valley High School. On August 12, 1939, Helga married Roy Nylund. She worked at Johnson Bakery for several years. Helga enjoyed "goodies" with her coffee and gardening.

Helga was preceded in death by her loving husband Roy in 1989; and her sister Allie Johnson.

She is survived by her children, Ronald (Shirley) of Saginaw and Shirley (William) Ronn of Ely; ten grandchildren, Kevin Nylund, Elizabeth (Mark) Melander, Thomas (Elyna) Nylund, Scott (Heather) Nylund, Stacie (Brian) Oakland, Melissa Nylund, Alanda (John) Crom, Shelley (Steve) Moore, James (Danelle) Ronn and Lance (Kelly) Ronn; 27 great-grandchildren; and eight great-great-grandchildren.

The family would like to thank Dr. Michael Hieb, Dr. Mork, the Pastors of Christ Lutheran Church and the staff of Diamond Willow and St. Mary's Medical Center Hospice for their excellent care of Helga.

VISITATION: 10 until the 11 a.m. funeral service Thursday, July 1, in Christ Lutheran Church, 2415 Ensign St. Burial at Sunrise Memorial Park in Hermantown. Please leave a memory of Helga or words of support for the family at www.bellbrotherfuneralhome.com. Arrangements by Bell Brothers Funeral Home, 601 N. 56th Ave. W.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1550

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never heard that name before, but did look it up in the book. Alden township-beyond terminus of Homestead road, what ever that means, lists Hugo Hampspinnar as a settler in 1919. He was from Viipuri Finland. The first homestead was built by Mr. Sundstrom where they lived until 1930.
In the early days, Hugo walked to Palmers every day where he would board a train and return the same way. In 1926 he bought his first Model T Ford.
The first graduating class from CV, was 1933.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Helga was the aunt of Barbara Johnson McNichol and Betty Johnson Poe. She was their mother's sister.

torggy

Post Number: 1483

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for catching that Max. Seems I learn more about the area every day.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1553

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I noted today, a very short obit, Tom Trevillion Jr. and it says there will be a full obit on Sunday. I am wondering if this is our Tom. I had heard he was having some health problems.

torggy

Post Number: 1484

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wondered the same thing. Guess we well have to wait for Sunday.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We are wondering if it's his son, I don't remember the teacher being a junior.

torggy

Post Number: 1486

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My year book does not show him as a junior. But then it is the CV year book,eh?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1558

Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

neither do I. I do know he had health problems, well tomorrow will tell.

torggy

Post Number: 1487

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/172980/
Thomas John Trevillion Jr., of Duluth, died June 30, 2010, peacefully in his home with his family by his side.

He was born in Duluth Oct. 29, 1927, to Thomas J. and Edna C. Trevillion. Tom was a graduate of Duluth Central High School. He was an Army veteran, serving in World War II and Korea. Tom was a graduate of U.M.D. with bachelor's degrees and earned masters degrees from U.N.D. and U.W.S. He married Juliann Haug in Duluth June 26, 1971. Tom was a 42-year employee of the St. Louis County School District working as a teacher, coach and school counselor.

He was a lifelong member of Lakeside Presbyterian Church, a 32nd degree Mason at Trinity Masonic Lodge, Scottish Rite Bodies, Valley of Duluth and Phi Delta Kappa.

Tom was preceded in death by his parents and sister Edna L. Smedsrud.

He is survived by his loving wife Julie; son Jon of Duluth; daughter Jill (Erik) Prescott of Superior; grandson John Erik Prescott; nephews Gordon, Duane and Roger Smedsrud, all of Shelby, Mont.; and niece Lisa Hanson of Shelby.

VISITATION: 6-8 p.m. Monday in Williams-Lobermeier Funeral Home and 11 a.m. until the noon funeral service Tuesday in Lakeside Presbyterian Church, 4430 McCulloch St., Duluth. Burial at Forest Hill Cemetery. Memorials to the Lakeside Presbyterian Church Scholarship fund are preferred

torggy

Post Number: 1488

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it looks like he was a Junior after all.

My condolances to the family. He was a fun teacher. He was a vetern of two wars and a 32nd degree Mason. Something to be pround of.

Found this picture from my 1969 albumn
Mr. Trevillion

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1561

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I liked Mr. T. Deepest sympathy to his family.

torggy

Post Number: 1489

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/172977/

Peggy L. Strand, 63, of Lanett, Ala., entered in the Lords Kingdom April 30, 2010.

"Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal."

Peggy grew up and formally resided on the beautiful North Shore in Duluth.

Peggy loved orchids, so beautiful yet so delicate, just like her! Mom, you will be missed, but our memories will never fade, thanks for everything! We miss you! Love Kris and Emily.

"I can only imagine what it will be like - when I walk by Your side

I can only imagine what my eyes will see - when Your face is before me

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel - will I dance for you Jesus - or in honor of You be still - will I stand in Your presence or to my knees will I fall - will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all

I can only imagine … When that day comes when I find myself Standing in the Son"

An amazing daughter, wife, mother, sister, auntie, grandmother and friend. She brought light into any room; may that light continue to burn in our hearts and memories.

She was preceded in death by her father Gunard Strand; and stepfather Lawrence "Larry" Contos.

Peggy is survived by Kristian (Rebecca) Hoglund and Emily Hoglund, to whom she was a loving mother; Mae Contos, to whom she was a loving daughter; Lori (Jim) Stroner and Kari (Joey) Edge, to whom she was a dear sister; Annika Hoglund, to whom she was a proud grandmother; and Aspen Edge, to whom she was a proud aunt.

MEMORIAL SERVICE to celebrate Peggy's life: 10 a.m. Friday, July 9, in French River Lutheran Church. Interment at Palmer Cemetery in Minnesota.

bigguy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peggy was cousin to Bill, Linda, and Tim Peterson. Their father was Dick, the school bus driver. Peggy grew up right across from the lumber company on the lower McQuade Road. Worked as a carhop at Johnson's Drive-In and was a flight attendant for Northwest Airlines, I believe.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 177

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Peggy. She went to school in Duluth, I believe, at Ordean but we saw her alot at valley functions and at the drive in. She was adorable.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1562

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember hearing of Peggy Strand, but more so of her mother Mae. I see she died way back in April.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 133

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thomas John Trevillion Jr., of Duluth, died June 30, 2010, peacefully in his home with his family by his side.

He was born in Duluth Oct. 29, 1927, to Thomas J. and Edna C. Trevillion. Tom was a graduate of Duluth Central High School. He was an Army veteran, serving in World War II and Korea. Tom was a graduate of U.M.D. with bachelor's degrees and earned masters degrees from U.N.D. and U.W.S. He married Juliann Haug in Duluth June 26, 1971. Tom was a 42-year employee of the St. Louis County School District working as a teacher, coach and school counselor.

He was a lifelong member of Lakeside Presbyterian Church, a 32nd degree Mason at Trinity Masonic Lodge, Scottish Rite Bodies, Valley of Duluth and Phi Delta Kappa.

Tom was preceded in death by his parents and sister Edna L. Smedsrud.

He is survived by his loving wife Julie; son Jon of Duluth; daughter Jill (Erik) Prescott of Superior; grandson John Erik Prescott; nephews Gordon, Duane and Roger Smedsrud, all of Shelby, Mont.; and niece Lisa Hanson of Shelby.

His funeral was last Monday. I was out of town like lots of other people and saw this in the paper earlier this week.

torggy

Post Number: 1502

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fanny I. "Faye" Elickson, 94, died peacefully under hospice care on July 19, 2010, in the Lighthouse of Cloquet Assisted Living.

Faye was born on Aug. 9, 1915, in Bovey to Adolph and Marie Manginen.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/174253/
She graduated from Grand Rapids High School in 1934. She married Einar "Duke" Elickson on June 3, 1939, in Duluth. She was a resident of French River for 40 years.

Faye was a member of the French River Lutheran Church and the Homesteaders of Clover Valley. She worked at the Lakeshore Lutheran Home until retirement. She enjoyed ceramics, crocheting, and doing crafts.

Faye was preceded in death by her husband; infant daughter, Joyce Mary; and seven siblings.

Faye is survived by her two daughters, Diane (Carl) Erway of Ulysses, Pa. and Gloria (Martin Mattson) Chambers of Saginaw; seven grandchildren, Eric (Wendy) Erway of Rochester, N.Y., Denise (Kevin) Walaski of Ulysses, Pa., Brett (Lori) Erway of Streetsboro, Ohio and Sandra Erway (fiancé, Matthew Page) of Spencer, Mass., Scott (Carrie Ann) Williams and Marc (Rebecca) Williams, all of New Market, Minn., and Amy Nelson (fiancé, Bill Myers) of Saginaw; 18 great-grandchildren; and her brother, Carl (Betty) Manginen of Grand Rapids.

VISITATION: 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, July 21, in Bell Brothers Jarvi Dowd Chapel, 925 E. Fourth St. and will continue Thursday, July 22, from 10 a.m. until the 11 a.m. funeral service in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Road. The Rev. Greg Garmer officiating. Burial will take place at Lakeview Palmers Cemetery. Please leave a memory of Fanny or words of support for the family at www.bellbrothersjarvidowd.com.

torggy

Post Number: 1514

Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy tells me that this is the wife of one time principal of CV.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/178925/

Betty J. (Lehman) Mostrom, 86, of Duluth, passed away Monday, Sept. 13, 2010, in Benedictine Health Center.

She was born Sept. 16, 1923, in Cloquet to Clyde and Myrtle Lehman. Betty was a 1941 graduate of Cloquet High School and a 1945 graduate of Duluth State Teachers College.

While teaching in Esko, she met and was united in marriage to Harold Mostrom on March 22, 1946. Betty was a substitute teacher for St. Louis County Schools for 17 years. She also worked at St. Louis County Social Services as a social worker and volunteer service coordinator. Betty was given opportunities to work with Duluth organizations and groups such as United Way, College of St. Scholastic, University of Minnesota Duluth, Duluth Public Schools, C.H.U.M., Salvation Army and writing the grant for the Retired Senior Volunteer Program.

Betty is survived by her sons, Bob (Sally), Carl (Kathy), Tim (Pam) and Peter; daughter Darlene (Ray); 18 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; special friends, Jan and Betsy; several nieces and nephews.

VISITATION: 9 until the 10 a.m. memorial service Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010, in the Cremation Society of Minnesota Chapel, 4100 Grand Ave., Duluth. Services entrusted to the Cremation Society of Minnesota, (218) 624-5200

deckhand
Regular Poster
Username: deckhand

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was Harold Mostrom that introduced us (Class of '60) to the 'Map Game', right?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, that was him. Like I've said before, every time I drive thru Wendover, NV I think of him. It was his favorite. It was nice he and Betty could come to the all class reunion. Remember, they walked into North Shore School and surprised everyone.

I actually saw him at St. Scholastica before that. He was the Dean of Education and the school was using our Encoding (Health Information Management) products in their classrooms.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harold Mostrom became principal in 1951. Deckhand and I started the 4th grade, our first year at CV. He was there until 1958, I believe, when Al Ness took over. His wife Betty was a substitute teacher. They left and went to Toivola-Meadowlands (The enemy) where he was principal. Deckhand, do you remember where they came from?

torggy

Post Number: 1526

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The grapevine tells me that this is the father of at least on CV grad.

Millard Thomas Thompson, 89, of Duluth, died Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010, in St. Luke’s Hospice.

He was born in Duluth on March 28, 1921, to Theodore and Kristine (Karlberg) Thompson. Millard worked as a brick layer and mason for U. S. Steel. He was a veteran of World War II, a member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Gnesen and a member of the VFW.

He was preceded in death by his parents; and brothers Dwight, Harlan and Warren; and a sister, Betty Spooner.

He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Joscelyn “Jessie” Thompson; sons Theodore “Ted” (Carol) Thompson, and David (Elisa “Lisa”) Thompson; daughters Bonnie (Scott) Browne, and Mary (Charles “Charlie”) Prudhomme; a sister, Joyann (Joseph “Joe”) Wholeb; ten grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/179735/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1623

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure is. Just the other day a classmate phoned and in talking he asked if I knew where Bonnie was! I remember Ted and Bonnie, but David between them and a Mary after Bonnie are new to me!
My condolences to the family.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 189

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Bonnie and Ted as well. They were upper classmen for me. My deepest sympathy to the family.

torggy

Post Number: 1531

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/184289/

Bernice Alice Syrett, 89, a lifelong Duluth resident, passed away Nov. 16, 2010, in her home.

Bernice was born Nov. 7, 1921, to Andrew and Ellen (Johnson) Strom. She attended Denfeld High School and worked at various resorts on the North Shore until she married Roll Syrett March 20, 1950.

Bernice was a member of the French River Homemakers and the Duluth Township Homesteaders for many years. She enjoyed taking care of her home, baking, camping, traveling with her family, and finding “treasures” at rummage sales.

She was preceded in death by her parents; husband Roll; brother Lawrence; and sisters Margaret and Elaine.

Bernice is survived by son Steven (Inez) Syrett of Moose Lake; daughter Cheryl Syrett of Duluth; grandchildren Stacia (Michael) Spiess of Sturgeon Lake, Derek Syrett of Navarre, Fla., and Jason Syrett of Moose Lake; great-grandson Grady Spiess; brother Ron Strom of Duluth; several nieces and nephews; special friend Sandra Mullen; and special niece Sandy Sironen.

VISITATION: 10 until the 11 a.m. funeral service Saturday, Nov. 20, in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Road. The Rev. Greg Garmer officiating. Interment at Lakeview Palmers Cemetery. Please leave a memory of Bernice or words of support for the family, at www.bellbrothersjarvidowd.com. Arrangements by Bell Brothers Jarvi Dowd Funeral Home.

torggy

Post Number: 1538

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/186358/

Muriel Sundstrom, 87, of Duluth, died Sunday, Dec. 12, 2010, in the Benedictine Healthcare Center.

Muriel was born Oct. 2, 1923, in Duluth, to Thomas and Borghild Benson. She attended Duluth Schools and worked at the Wonderland Resort on the North Shore.

She was united in marriage to Carl G. Sundstrom on Sept. 1, 1945. They made their home in Duluth until 1953, when they relocated to Thief River Falls, Minn. They lived there for nine years before returning to the North Shore where they remained, until Muriel went to Edgewood Vista Assisted Living in 2003.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Carl G. Sundstrom in 1990; five brothers, Tully, Arvid, Olaf, Earl and Raymond Benson; three sisters, Betsy Erickson, Wilma Kanuit and Ingrid Feddick; and granddaughter Heather Skallet.

Muriel is survived by her daughter, Susan (Alton) Skallet of Britt; three grandchildren, Lisa (Edward) Gonzalez, Lori (Brendan) Wallace and Michael (Bridget) Skallet; five great-grandchildren, Timothy (Shanna) Skallet, Heidi (Jude) Ombisa and Anthony (Hannah) Skallet; three great-great-grandchildren, Dominick Skallet and Museme and Kamadi Ombisa; numerous nieces and nephews and a sister-in-law, Edna Haggerty.

VISITATION: 10 until the 11 a.m. memorial service Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010, in French River Lutheran. Burial will take place at Sunrise Memorial Park in Hermantown. Services entrusted to First Memorial Funeral Chapel, (218) 624-5050

torggy

Post Number: 1539

Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Bigguy for pointing out that This is the one time owner of Johnson's Drive inn/ Scenic Cafe
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/186445/

Arthur D. Turnquist, 97, was born in Duluth on May 14, 1913, and died on Dec. 11, 2010.

He attended Munger and Washington Central schools.

He had been employed by the Chicago Northwestern Railroad and during World War II, the Marine Iron Ship Building Co.

Art was proprietor of several Duluth businesses: The Woodland Waiting Station and Convenience Store, The Loop Hamburger Shop, Bromme's at Pike Lake and The Scenic Drive-In on the North Shore.

He enjoyed fishing, telling jokes and remembering his youth: ski jumping, horseshoes, barrel jumping and skating across Lake Superior.

As a lifelong resident of Duluth, he cherished "his" city.

He was preceded in death by his father, Nels; his mother, Eva Christine; and his sister, Ruth Nordstrom.

He is survived by his wife, Esther (Amundson); sister June Sundquist; daughters Jeanne (Ernest) Lindstrom and Marilyn (Gary) Hoch; eight grandchildren; and 20 great-grandchildren.

VISITATION: 12 noon until the 1 p.m. service of remembrance and celebration Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010, in Concordia Lutheran Church. In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to Concordia Lutheran Church or Lakeview Covenant C

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was in todays paper. Greg was the class of 75. I had just ran into his brother not too long ago. This is not way to spend the Holidays. Prayers to the family.

Gregory Glenn Claflin, 53, formerly of Two Harbors, passed away Dec. 11, 2010, in Edmond, Okla.

His tenacious spirit didn’t let down for a moment when he learned he had stage-four cancer late this summer. He maintained his dignity and sense of humor to the very end with his family, co-workers and friends.

He was preceded in death by his father, Amos Edwin Claflin.

Greg is survived by his loving wife, Luanne; son Damien Tucker DeLany; stepchildren Megan Knickerbocker and Andrew Hume; grandchildren Luke Knickerbocker and Elle Hume; mother Margaret Peggy Williams Claflin; and brother Gary Allen Claflin.

torggy

Post Number: 1545

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/187410/
Marjorie J. Snell, 68, of Two Harbors, died Sunday, Dec. 26, 2010, in Essentia Health St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth.

She was born Aug. 20, 1942, to Niilo and Martha (Keranen) Gustafson in Duluth.

Marjorie grew up in Clover Valley and graduated from Clover Valley High School.

She married Charles "Bob" Snell and they made their home in Hinckley for nearly 40 years.

Marjorie was a member of First Lutheran Church in Hinckley and Living Waters Fellowship in Two Harbors. She enjoyed sewing, knitting, and spending time with her family, especially her grandchildren.

Marjorie was preceded in death by her parents; and her husband, Bob.

She is survived by her children, James (Erika) of Duluth, Dale (Jessica) of Hinckley, and Marie of Hinckley; and grandchildren Vander, Payton, Alyssa, Emalee, and Adam.

MEMORIAL SERVICES: 3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 2, 2011, in Living Waters Fellowship in Two Harbors, and 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 3, in First Lutheran Church in Hinckley. To sign the online guestbook please visit www.cavallinfuneralhome.com.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1649

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a shock, seems I just saw her walking the hall at the nursing home and I just chatted with her.
My sympathy to the family.

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 650

Posted on Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Majorie Snell's services was well attended. She will always be remembered for her kindness and generosity. She was the queen of cookbook sales at 105 books. RIP
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1651

Posted on Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cookbook sales?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1653

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ARLENE MAE (WIGREN) CARTER
Arlene Mae (Wigren) Carter, 76, of Duluth, passed away on Sunday, Jan.

Arlene Mae (Wigren) Carter, 76, of Duluth, passed away on Sunday, Jan. 2, 2011, in her home surrounded by her loving family.

Arlene was born Sept. 20, 1934, in the town of Tripp, Wis. She graduated from South Shore High School in Port Wing.

Arlene married her high school sweetheart, Walter "Corky" Carter, in January 1954. They lived in Reno, Nev., Superior, Oscoda, Mich., and Clover Valley-French River area.

Arlene will be remembered for her love of family and friends, her beautiful gardens, and her many talents. Hobbies included ceramics, crafts, quilting, sewing, helping others, and too many other talents to mention. Arlene and her family enjoyed traveling in their motor home throughout the United States and Canada.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Arvid and Gertrude (Carlson) Wigren; and her brother, Dale Wigren.

Arlene is survived by her loving family, husband Walter Carter; children Kay (Alan) Erickson, Ron (Chris) Carter, Julie (Tim) Strom and Randy Carter; grandchildren Connie (Carey) Johnson, Brandon (Bridget) Erickson, Amber Erickson, Josie and Sam Strom, and Jeremy Carter; great-grandchildren Brianna, Laine, and Gabe Johnson, and Austin Erickson; sister in-law Marilyn Wigren; Auntie Lorraine Rood; and many cousins, nieces, and nephews.

Special thanks to Dr. Joleen Finken and St. Luke's medical staff and hospice staff.

In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred.

VISITATION: 9 until the 10 a.m. memorial service Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011, in the Cremation Society of Minnesota. Services entrusted to the Cremation Society of Minnesota, 4100 Grand Ave Duluth, (218) 624-5200.
She was a friend of my aunt Delores, and they lived on the Anderson Road, or is it called the Paul Road? Can't remember the name of it now, but Obergs lived on the same road. I think one or two of the younger kids went to CV.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought they lived next Moes, on the Korki Rd. I believe it was the Lanes prior to the Carters. That was when I was in school. Kaye was in the cass ahead of me, 1972.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1654

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they could have, but they have lived on the Paul Road for several years

strwblue
Pro Poster
Username: strwblue

Post Number: 651

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie... Marjorie helped sell the church cook book. The money went for need carpet.
Disclaimer: In as much as I am the Two Harbors Public Access Coordinator I am not now or have I ever spoken for the City of Two Harbors on this board.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1655

Posted on Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good for her, she will always be remembered for that good deed for sure.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1656

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patrick McKenzie King, 84, of Plymouth, Minn., passed away peacefully Jan. 1, 2011, after a two year battle with cancer.

Patrick was born in Duluth and a graduate of Brookston High School and the University of Minnesota Duluth.

I looked it up, he was teaching back in 1955, as he is in the annual. I remember him. In the annual it says "Coach, Social Science, Health and Am History.

He served as a U.S. Navy signalman second-class in World War II Pacific Theater. He dedicated 34 years to his career as a high school history teacher at Clover Valley and Mound Westonka in Mound, Minn. He was devoted to family/friends and an avid fan of food adventures, travel, sports and a good debate on any topic worthy of discussion.

He was preceded in death by parents, James and Jane (Deminski) King; siblings Ralph 'Bud', Frances (Paul), James (Esther), Lambert 'Charles', Frank, Mary and Stanley.

He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Betty; children Steve (Lorie), Bryan, Joe (Laurie), and Julie (Garry) Fitchett; 13 grandchildren and one great-granddaughter; sister Lorraine (Don) Rubertus; sister-in-law Agnes (Charles) King; and brother-in-law Richard 'Hap' (Mary) Johnson.

VISITATION: 3 until the 4 p.m. service Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011, in Christ Memorial Lutheran Church ELCA, 13501 Sunset Trail, Plymouth, Minn., followed by a light meal. In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred to non-profit organization of donor's choice. Private interment at Fort Snelling National Cemetery at a later date.

(Message edited by Blondie on January 12, 2011)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1657

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to edit the last post, and for some reason it didn't work, so will add this here.
I looked him up, and he is in the 1955 annual. It says Coach, Social Science, Health and Am History. I remember him.

torggy

Post Number: 1546

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Blondie. Bigguy just alerted me to that obit. But you beat me to it. It can be found at:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/188640/

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He lived upstairs at Bloomingdale.

torggy

Post Number: 1547

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't Lindquist live up there?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1658

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, but Mr. King lived there prior

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did Eva Williams.

torggy

Post Number: 1548

Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who was Eva Williams?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mrs. Williams taught third grade when I was at Bloomingdale. She also had part of the second grade so I had her for two years. This would have been 49-50, 50-51.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1673

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Janice M. Olsen, 75, of Two Harbors, passed away Thursday, March 3, 2011, in St. Luke's hospital, Duluth.

She was born March 2, 1936, to Helge and Svea (Sundstrom) Jackson in Duluth. Jan grew up in French River and attended schools in Clover Valley. On Sept. 11, 1954, she married Keith Olsen.

Jan loved music, singing and playing the piano, flower gardening, birds and animals, camping, traveling, crafts, shopping, and playing cards. She was known for giving cards to everyone on any and all occasions and her 3 p.m. coffee time.

Jan was a lifelong member of French River Lutheran Church and its choir, Church Women's Group, and Homemaker's Club.

She was preceded in death by her parents and siblings Ronald, Phillip, Martin, Hilding, and Phyllis.

Jan is survived by her husband of 56 years, Keith; sons Kenneth and Daryl, both of Two Harbors, and Kevin (Chris Mahai) of Hermantown; daughter Kathleen (Bruce) Larson of Minnetonka, Minn.; siblings Gerald (Jeanette), Robert (Barbara), Leslie (Carol) and David (Laurie); sisters-in-law Delores, Pat and Avis; brother-in-law Tom; uncles Clifford (Lillian) Sundstrom and Carl (Evelyn) Jackson; and aunt Helen Krenz.

VISITATION: 10 until the 11 a.m. service Monday, March 7, in French River Lutheran Church. Burial will occur at a later date at Lake View Palmers Cemetery. Memorials are preferred to French River Lutheran Church. To sign the online guestbook, please visit www.cavallinfuneralhome.com.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1674

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow I didn't realize so many of her siblings had passed on. I graduated with Hilding (Bernie).

torggy

Post Number: 1553

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me neither. I graduated with Leslie.

Was "Bernie" a nickname?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1675

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is all we called him in school

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Bernie telling me that the Jackson name at one point was Burns (sp). That was when the family was in the "Old Country" as we called it. That was how we all pinned the nickname on him.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1677

Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that is interesting, as I never knew why he was called Bernie, but then so many people had nicknames that made no sense!

torggy

Post Number: 1556

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mom and Dad said that Martin used to be at my grandparents, Steve and Edith Wallis, all the time. Apparently they were good friends.

Nicknames are odd things, sumtimes ya jus gotta be dar when day happen, eh?

The "Roots" book has a real history of the Jackson Family. I posted it all on here at one time. Can't find it now.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1678

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy brought this to my attention, I had glanced at the name, but didn't read down.

George S. Hagglund, 81, passed away on March 7, 2011, in Meriter Hospital in Madison, Wis.

George was born on April 21, 1929, in Chicago, the son of George and Esther (Houtari) Hagglund.

After graduating from Clover Valley High in Duluth, he earned his bachelor of arts degree in 1957, from the University of Minnesota in Duluth, and his master's in 1959, from the University of Minnesota Minneapolis.

George worked in Washington, D.C. before joining the School for Workers at the University of Wisconsin (UW)-Extension in 1960. He obtained his PhD in industrial relations at the UW in 1966, and served on the faculty as a Professor and Director until his retirement in 1994. In addition to the UW, he was a faculty member at the School of Management, University of South Australia, Adelaide. He was internationally recognized as an authority on Industrial Relations, Job Analysis, and Safety and Health.

George married Mary Beaupre, in 1958. Together they traveled the world.

George was preceded in death by his parents; and siblings Russell and Carol.

George is survived by his wife, Mary; his two sons, Eric of Round Lake, Il.., and Karl of Mundelein, Ill.; his daughters-in-law, Ellen and Shelly; and three grandchildren, Ashley, Sidney, and Isabella.

VISITATION: 9:30 until the 11 a.m. service Monday in French River Lutheran Church, 5310 Ryan Road, Duluth. Services entrusted to First Memorial Funeral Chapel, (218) 624-5050.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those of you that get the township newsletter would have noticed articles written by George in the past few issues. They were fun to read.

torggy

Post Number: 1558

Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Going to Town
George Hagglund
On rare occasions, our parents would decide they had to go to the city for
shopping or other business. We only lived 16 miles from Duluth, but it represented
a monumental event! It didn’t happen often, so was regarded as a
rare treat by us little ones. During WW II there was gasoline rationing, and
that made a trip to town even rarer.
We started out by putting on our best clothes, which in the early days
meant a clean shirt and a pair of bib overalls. Our hair got combed if we
were going to visit someone, usually an uncle and aunt who lived in a
shabby apartment next to the Granada Theatre. Sometimes, we’d get a haircut
at the Granada barbershop by either Gus or Chris, the two barbers in
residence. It was off the lobby of the Granada Threatre, and customers
would come to the shop to buy candy or popcorn. A haircut cost just 50
cents in those days, which was big money. Sometimes peoplewould try to
sneak into the theatre through the barber shop; it never worked, the barbers,
two ancient grey-haired guys, would chase them away. It made getting
haircut entertaining.
Our favorite treat was to receive 10 cents for the Saturday morning movie
at the Lake Theatre, a run-down place that ran a double-feature (usually a
cowboy story) and two short serials. If parents wanted to get rid of their kids
for three or four hours, the Lake Theatre was just the thing. Usually the stars
were Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Tom Mix, and others of that genre. The set
was always a desert somewhere in the west, a run-down town, lots of
horses, six-guns, and the occasional Indian. There was always a bad guy
and a well used saloon set that was used in in innumerable films. There was
always a good cowboy and a bad one who rode a black horse; the good
cowboy always won after a long and complex set of shoot-out scenes from
the back of horses. After three hours in the darkened theatre, we emerged
into the sunshine half blinded and blinking in the bright sunlight.
Another popular movie house was thee Lyceum, an old vaudeville theatre
that outlived vaudeville and was converted to a third-rate B-movie format. It
too showed double features on Saturday and was a mecca for little kids temporarily
exiled from their families. It had once been a grand place, with a big
organ and two balconies. If there were adults in the audience, the kids went
up to the first balcony seating and cheered on their favorite stars.
Before Christmas, we went t o town clutching a dollar or so that had been
given for Christmas gifts for the family. Making a dollar stretch to buy three
or four gifts was a difficult task, and usually meant visiting Kresge’s or Woolworth’s
where we would spend an interminable amount of time deciding on
appropriate gifts for brother, sister and parents. We spent endless periods
conferring with brother or sister before deciding on a purchase. We could
spend a half-day just looking for the proper gift for each. It had to cost less
than a quarter or we couldn’t afford it. We always went home swelled with
pride over our wise choices for each family member.
Sometimes we would visit a Finnish family that lived on 8th street in Duluth.
If the visit extended into the evening, us farm kids got introduced to
some of those childhood games that require a sidewalk, like kick the can,
hop-scotch and other city delights. Just being with other kids our own age
was pure pleasure, and to be accepted in a group of city kids for play was
heavenly indeed.
Just getting to t own was an adventure. In the winter, the North Shore of
Lake Superior was inhospitable and the temperature outside below zero.
Our old jalopies usually had just a little heater located on t he passenger side
of the front seat. It turned out very little heat under the best of circumstances.
On cold days the car started reluctantly. Our breath made a cloud,
even inside the vehicle. The kids shivered in the back seat and complained
all the way to town.
Getting back to the farm was always a letdown. Our adventure was over,
and it was back to the daily routine of farm chores, school, and listening to
the radio in the evening. We could only look forward to our next trip to town.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1679

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

reading that sure brings back lots of memories.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1680

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how many on here remember "Mr. Toot", or Bozo the clown..Ray Paulsen, well he died. He was popular in the 60's.

torggy

Post Number: 1559

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did ya know that Bozo was a franchise thing out of Chicago?
http://www.clown-ministry.com/index_1.php/articles/the_unusual_history_of_bozo_t he_clown_attempting_to_unravel_who_did_what_wh/

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those who know Clifford Sundstrom, he is going home from the hospital today and he is doing well.

torggy

Post Number: 1560

Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is great news Bigguy! Thank you! I hope he is back on the social circuit soon.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 141

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DOROTHY LORENE (SKELTON) SCHMIDT
Dorothy Lorene (Skelton) Schmidt, 90, of Duluth, passed away Wednesday, March 23, 2011, in Benedictine Health Center, with her daughters by her side.

More...
Send Flowers Now
Dorothy Lorene (Skelton) Schmidt, 90, of Duluth, passed away Wednesday, March 23, 2011, in Benedictine Health Center, with her daughters by her side.

Dorothy was born in Duluth on Oct. 25, 1920, to Allyn and Edna (Ballou) Skelton.

She grew up in the Lester Park area and attended and graduated from Central High School. Later she moved to Louisville, Ky., where she met her future husband, Jacob Schmidt. They returned to Duluth and were married in Trinity Cathedral Church on July 13, 1943.

They returned to Louisville for a short time before Jacob went overseas to serve his country during World War II. Dorothy moved back to Duluth with their first daughter, Betty Jane, and Jacob later joined them after the war.

Dorothy loved classical music, as well as singing and painting. Dorothy had a fascination with Lake Superior and it played an integral part in her life.

She was a past member of St. Edward's Episcopal Church and spent many years singing in the choir and doing volunteer work. Dorothy will be remembered for her compassionate nature, terrific sense of humor and her willingness to listen. She will be greatly missed by all who knew her.

She was preceded in death by her husband; daughter, Sally; her parents; brothers John and Allyn; and sister Betty.

Dorothy is survived by her son Jacob M. Jr. (Sarah) of Tower; daughters Betty Jane (John) Fetvedt of Raleigh, N.C., Peggy (Howie) Tune of Reno, NV., and Susan (David) Birks of New Egypt, N.J.; 11 grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and many other family members and friends.

VISITATION: 10 until the 11 a.m. memorial service Friday, March 25, in Benedictine Health Care Chapel, 935 Kenwood Ave., with Rev. Bill Van Oss presiding. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to the Benedictine Health Center.

Please leave a memory of Dorothy or words of support for the family at www.bellbrothersjarvidowd.com. Arrangements under the direction of Bell Brothers Jarvi Dowd Funeral Home (218) 722-5131.

Sorry for your lost Zeke and Sue. Thoughts and prayers go out to your and your families.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1687

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somehow I missed this. I graduated with Betty.
Sorry Zeke for the loss of your mother.

torggy

Post Number: 1562

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Max! I had drinks with Jake(Buddy) and his wife Sarah when I was home last fall.

My deepest condolences to him and his family.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration