Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Fall is Here < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bigguy
Pro Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the arrow down suggestion. I am using it. I would still like to see it post the latest at the top instead of the bottom. Not a biggee but I would think it would be capable of that.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 135

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, fall is here. I just spent a day out in the valley chasing the grouse. It is just too green but jump a few birds. I put away my pings and have taken out my 870. Big guy you must had return out west by now. I will get out again on my next day off to contiune the hunt.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, Madd Maxx, back in CA. We've been above 100 for the past three days. Dry heat though, no humidity. Grouse hunting was one of my favorite pasttimes. My best hunting spots were west side of the French all the way up to the McQuade Road. There was an old logging road that ran along there. There was another that went from the old Palms farm up to Seckinger's clearing on the McQuade and I also hunted where the expressway now is west of French River. Another good spot was behind Clarence and Julia Alseth's home. That was close to you, Madd Maxx.

We played Black Bear twice this summer. They cut their green fees down to $35. Difficult course, narrow fairways and lots of water!

bud
Regular Poster
Username: bud

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy, Back in MN for 2 years now. Built a house between Embarrass and Tower to be close to our cabin on Vermilion. We probably spend more time at the cabin than anywhere else. Started doing some contract work for the Mesabi Nugget plant on the old LTV site and ended up going full time so that has consumed alot of time. Swung by knife River this summer to pick up some smoked fish but didn't see you there. Next year for sure we will break some bread together over a good beer and some smoked ciscoes. You in Torggy? Blondie? Others?
The last two minnesota fall seasons have been just spectacular!.. I had missed and almost forgotten how beautiful this area is in the fall. Also forgot just how poorly a compass works sometimes up here and nearly spent some extra time in the woods. Thank goodness for handheld GPS!!

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1523

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, gonna be in Knife River in about ten days. Wanna buy me that beer?

Max, I had a Grouse walk up my property line yesterday. Not hunting season though. Dang I love fall.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1618

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice to see you on here again Bud. So your working full time again.
Yes, I am in with you guys, just give me a jingle. Kathy Lee might like to join us also. I had her water my flowers this summer while we were gone.

(Message edited by Blondie on October 02, 2010)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1619

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seeing this thread is fall, putting in a couple pictures I took the other day. Some of you CVer's that don't get fall colors where you live, might enjoy these.

this was on the old airport road

this was up on Big Rock Road.

deckhand
Regular Poster
Username: deckhand

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great photos and thanks Bigguy for the history!
I would sure like to know how to post pics on this forum.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1620

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is easy to post pictures.
first click in this box(where you write your post in) where you want your picture to be, then at the bottom here, click on UPLOAD ATTACHMENT box.... another box will come up......click on BROWSE, and I don't know where you keep your pictures on your computer, but find the picture you want to upload, click on it on and then click on open(you will see something in the box next to browse now) and then click upload and it will show if it uploaded or not, and click on close. If the picture is too big, it will tell you, then you will have to resize it. I have a free program to resize my pictures to fit on here.
Really it is simple once you get the hang of it.

(Message edited by Blondie on October 02, 2010)

deckhand
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I need the program to resize pictures. Can you help me?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1621

Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent you a private message with the link to the site. I can help once you download it onto your computer, so you get the hang of it quicker.

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice Pictures Blondie!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1622

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took this picture last year, and thought I would put it on here to show what a person can do with their pictures. This was done on "Blingee".

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torrgy,
Your on, Let us know the times. Just have to twist the work schedule a little.

torggy

Post Number: 1524

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like fun. I well hit Duluth Saturday the 9th and be gone Monday the 18th. In the old days I would have said at the Castle but now how about the Lighthouse? Not sure what day or time. Any ideas?

Hey Max, Blondie you guys in?

Nice Pictures Blondie. We are driving out and hope to see lots of fall colors as we go. Might be a little late though.

torggy

Post Number: 1525

Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bud, you are not going to show up in a '52 Buick with two different sized tires on the front are ya?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1624

Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we can do a late lunch type thing I am in. Lighthouse works for me.

deckhand
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Class of '60

Thanks for the help, Blondie.

Class of  '60

bud
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torrgy,
Let's try for a Friday nite, 15th OR
Since you have driven the most, you suggest the date and time.

AND what are you an elephant? I thought no one would remember the old 52 Buick! Straight 8 with a powerglide. If you remember, we couldn't go straight up the avenues in Duluth without puking out all the transmission fluid. Many a trip was made to the senic 61 on the shore or to the A&W on London road. Can't remember how many people we could pack into that old thing....but when Mike Mindestrom rolled it in the ditch on the Lismore road and Berquist road intersection, she did a 360 barrel roll and the old man would never have known if it wasn't for the grass caught in the antenna on the roof above the windshield. Or what about the night that.......never mind!

torggy

Post Number: 1528

Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Couple of us are getting together Monday afternoon. But hey I am a glutton for punishment and I can be there Friday also. Let me know what time works for ya.

That is a funny story. You mean it barrel rolled and did not even break the windshield?! They don't build them like they used to

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1625

Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

deckhand, glad to help you. Just got back from a fall road trip to UP of Michigan and down to Eagle River, Wis.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1626

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got home from Lighthouse on Homestead, met Torggy and Madd maxx there, had lots of laughs. Great seeing you guys again.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 137

Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure Blondie,

Beat us to the web. I unloaded my truck and dug out the year books. The photo of the front of school I have was from the 1972 year book.

No grouse to clean, saw many birds and missed. Out of practice. This was the first time to shoot my shot gun in over twenty years. I am finally making some time to bird hunt.

torggy

Post Number: 1529

Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a great time yesterday. It is fun to see you guys too.

I found a picture of the front of the school with both the new side and the old side sealed into the bar at the lighthouse. Then talking to Max he looked through his things and found this:
school

torggy

Post Number: 1530

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a great time back on the North Shore. But the visit was way to short. There was so much more I wanted to do but time ran out way to soon.

I did get to spend some time with Bud and his wife Friday night and we had a great time catching up. It was really nice that they drove down from the Range. Bud I well be looking for some of the stuff on your old house as soon as I catch up around here.

Blondie I really intended to get up and see you again but I just plain ran out of time. And Max I did intend to get up to the Mall and have some Conies but there was just so much to do.

I did walk through the old school and it is in worse shape than ever. Large parts of the Gym roof are off and the floor has at least 3 inches of water on it. Sadly it might be time to bulldoze it down and move on.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1627

Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you take a different route home?
That is fine if you didn't make it up here, I know what it is like...time!!!

Yes, why don't they just bulldoze the old school down, better than letting it decay the way it is.

torggy

Post Number: 1532

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this picture while I was back home last month.
CV class of 1947:
cv class of 47

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 190

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2010 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know the names of these students and teacher? It's a fun picture.

torggy

Post Number: 1533

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know one. Clifford Sundstrom is second row, second from left. I was supposed to get Clifford to tell me the rest while I was back home but ran out of time.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 191

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming that many of these people are parents or relatives of some sort to friends we had in school. Is Clifford related to Peggy Sundstrom, do you know?

Thanks, Torggy

torggy

Post Number: 1534

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aren't all the Sundstroms, Mindestroms, Nylens and Jacksons related? LOL ;-) For the official answer we will have to wait for Bigguy.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK. Peggi's dad was Clifford's cousin, and my mother's cousin. Cliff's dad, my granddad, and John Sundstrom all came here from Finland around 1905, they were brothers, of course. They were some of the first to settle along the lakeshore in French River. Hjalmer Mattson's family were earlier than they were. There were numerous families back in the country that arrived earlier also.

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting and a little confusing.

Do you recognize anyone else in the photo?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should, but don't! I know a number of his classmates but don't know which is which. I'll find out from Cliff who they are and let you all know.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1637

Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for the picture torggy. The guy first on left second row, sure looks familiar. I bet my uncle Howard would know some of the people. I wish he lived here in town. If my uncle Bob was better he would know as he was one year behind this class.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1638

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is an article today about Lakeview Castle.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/185588/
You probably will have to sign in though to read it.

torggy

Post Number: 1535

Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read that. Even had a few words from Andy Sternberg. Hope they make a go of it.

If ya stop in let us know how it was.

torggy

Post Number: 1536

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kind of an interesting post card. Love the phone number:
fish fry

torggy

Post Number: 1537

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, that is the back of a post card from the Fish Fry. But then most of you knew that. LOL

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1639

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes phone #'s used to be very short.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1640

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That picture of the class of 47, I am sending to my Uncle Howard. Talked to him tonight and he asked if anything new on here, so I told him about the picture, and he figured he would know most of them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1641

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here we go, names to the faces of the class of 47, thanks to Uncle Howard.

1st row: L-R Mildred Borgen, Corrine Laiti, Larraine Johnson,Iris Ward, Caroline Stromberg,Joan Alseth
2nd row: L-R Ted Laiti, Clifford Sundstrom, George Hagglund, Peter Beck, Frank Solem and Miss Kolejeski (Advisor)
Back row Jack Driscoll and Richard Holappa

I know Richard Holappa is alive, as talked to him and his wife this summer and Ted Laiti, no wonder I recognized that face!!! I believe Corrine Laiti is still around also.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Corrine Laiti Bloomquist was married to Herb. She lives on Greenwood Road. Blondie, wasn't Larraine Johnson Eli and Ragna's daughter? George Hagglund is in Indiana. I think Mildred Borgen was a sister to Ida and Carol. I have breakfast with Pete and Cathy Beck every Sat. am when I'm back there for the summer. Dick Holappa worked for the fish hatchery for many years and was brother to Ed. Some of you remember Al Holappa, he is Ed's oldest son.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Deckhand, if you're reading this, do you remember Hans E. Olson? I'm trying to solve a mystery for someone.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1642

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it is solved bigguy . Howard just called, he said "Hi". He said Hans Olson lived at the end of the Hegberg Road. Coming from Homestead Road it was the last farm before the McQuade on the right hand side. He said FARM. Some Jim Gage owns the property now.
He was telling me that Hans and Mr. Foresland went into the Lutheran HOme at the same time, either late 40's or early 50's and they had a garage built there for their cars! I saw that garage every time I went to visit my grandma. I never knew that.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1643

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, that was Eli's daughter. Also yes to Borgen.
I knew the Holappa kids really well, as they lived just down the road from us there. I still hear from Jeanne Wiita every Cmas, just got a card from her the other day. When they lived in TH, we used to get together with her and Ron once in awhile.

torggy

Post Number: 1540

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, this is a walk through familiar names of the area. Only one I did not recognize is the advisor.

Looking at that picture again, Clifford's got the high collar and the tie thing going on. Looks pretty dapper. Compared to him it looks like the rest of the guys did not get the note that it was picture day. LOL

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I had the same reaction about the photo. They didn't get the word it was photo day, or, they were taking a nap at the time of the announcement, which some of us would do!!!! There was a Carlson that lived on the Hegberg just round the corner from Hans Olson. They called him "Yoosta" Carlson.

Blondie, return a hello from me to Howard.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1644

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Justus and his sons name was Albin, can't remember his wifes name.(Edith) My grandma/richard were friends of them and helped them out. They didn't have a car that I know. Somewhere I have a picture of them. I will have to look for it. I used to go with grandma when I was a kid and visit them. I remember them so well. Actually they didn't live on the Hegberg, it was on the Pioneer road on the other side of the river there.
found the pictures, will scan them and post them.

(Message edited by Blondie on December 17, 2010)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1645

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here they are on postcards.
on the back it says Edith Johnson or Mrs. Justus Carlson on his Justus Carlson early 1910-20. Also printed on top of Justus on back "The Wide Awake Studio 10 East Superior St. Duluth, Minn Next To Express Theater Photo Post Cards 3 for 25c Duplicates within 60 days". On Edith's at the bottom it says "Arcade Studio 110 West Superior St. Duluth, MN." Edith was a real small woman, actually Justus wasn't a very big man either.

torggy

Post Number: 1541

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these a Carlson I would know? There was Carlson Motel or Mike Carlson, lived on Greenwood.

torggy

Post Number: 1542

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While I was back home we were looking at old family pictures and many of them were on postcards. Must have been a trend of the time.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1646

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, not related at all. They didn't have many relatives around.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember going to the Olson's house when I was little. Edith was related to us. They were living there in the late 50's. I remember going to Lakeshore with my parents to see them.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1647

Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tailspin
Princess of the Realm
Username: tailspin

Post Number: 703

Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas Cavaliers!

boon
Pro Poster

Post Number: 193

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 970

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas when you stop opening presents and listen.'

For God so loved the world that He gave his only son......John 3:16

Merry Christmas to one and all...

torggy

Post Number: 1544

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas to all you Cavaliers out there. Be careful in your travels!

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 67

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas one and all

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My wife and I were up for a long weekend the 2nd weekend in December, stayed at Dodges Log Lodges. just came up to sit back watch a fire and relax. turns out we missed the big storm at home in the cities and instead got to watch surfers on the waves going into stoney point area. had a blast and i would stay there again anytime. Took my wife to the Lighthouse for dinner friday night (her first time) and they wowed her from the minute we walked in the door. they offered her hot cyder for a drink and it just got better from there. We both had meatloaf for dinner and and it was excellent as well as the desert we split. They do an excellent job!!!!

(Message edited by m_johnson on December 24, 2010)

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 140

Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe their daughter Patty did go to Clover Valley and like the final CV students to finish school at TH. A very nice mile stone for this family.

Allen and Jane Krause of Two Harbors celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary with a luncheon with family and friends on Sept. 11 in Shepherd of the Lake Lutheran Church in Two Harbors.

Allen and the former Jane Cox were married Dec. 29, 1950, in Mount Olive Lutheran Church in Duluth.

Their children are Mary and Paul Solberg of Lakeville, Minn.; Nancy and Bob Jenkins of Belleville, Mich.; Patty and Will Hagglund of Duluth; and Melissa and Mike Oldsberg of Chaska, Minn. They have seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, and are expecting their sixth great-grandchild.

Allen is retired from teaching at Two Harbors High School. Jane is a homemaker.

Secrets to staying married

Being blessed with our wonderful family and friends. Our Love and commitment for each other and God to make it work during the difficult times as well as during the good times.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1650

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been quiet out there for awhile! I would imagine those of you in the North Shore area are huddled in and staying warm! Those days bring back memories of our days at Bloomingdale. In the winter, the janitor, Mr. Ratkovich would bribe us with some candy or a piece of fruit to carry out the ashes from the coal-burning furnace. By spring, the pile of ashes would be even with the eaves on the little garage behind the school. It was very rare that we didn't go outside for recess and come in covered in snow. Everyone would pile into the cloakroom to remove snow covered hats, jackets, woolen mittens and wet boots! Then, of course, after being out in the cold, we would settle into our desks and immediately doze off!! At least I did!!! You younger folks had lockers! We had a hook on the wall to hang everything on and placed our overshoes below our coats and scarves and mittens!

Mrs. Sunde's lunches tasted good and warming after being outside. Buttered bread stacked a foot high and the one meal I remember was a scalloped corn casserole with a weiner. She made the best potato salad I have eaten to this day! She fed about 90 hungry little kids everyday! By herself! These were real dishes we ate off of also. No deep-fried fast food type stuff!

We had some very special times at Bloomingdale, the kind of experiences that young people currently can't experience, unfortunately.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1661

Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloomingdale was special wasn't it. I remember the skating rink they had there, loved it. It seemed we always went out for recess, no matter what the weather was.
I don't remember any particular food that Mrs. Sunde made, all I remember was how good everything was, and that beautiful smile of hers. A lovely person!

Oh yes, the cloak rooms, and taking off our layers of clothes. Back then girls had to wear skirts/dresses and long white socks, gad I hated those white socks!!!! Boots were nothing like they have today, they were rubber zipper boots, and we put wool socks over our shoes to keep our feet warm. The buses were cold, the windows so frosted up you couldn't see out of them, unless someone scratched a peek hole. I didn't have as far to ride as some of the kids though!! Our clothes were still wet from playing outside, when we had to put them on to go home!!
But it is funny, we survived didn't we!!!!

I am so glad I got to attend a smaller school than the larger one in Duluth, where I started kindergarten at.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of the boys overshoes had a series of buckles that clipped and it was fun to get those disconnected when they were frozen with ice!!!The same would happen with the zippered boots!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1662

Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes I remember the boys buckle rubber boots, wasn't that fun trying to get them off after they froze...zipper was no better that is for sure, the zipper would only budge so far.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remember Officer Dave Mattson from the Duluth P.D. who set up the bus patrols for us? He would always present safety and do rope tricks. The reward at the end of the school year was either a pocket knife or a baseball bat for those who were bus patrols.

Remember selling magazines and trying for prizes? Does anyone remember the guys name that did the presentation in the gym. I remember he always had basketballs and would attempt a shot or two with futile results! Never saw him make one!!

torggy

Post Number: 1549

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting article

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/190785/

By fall, the students at AlBrook High School and their counterparts at Cotton and Meadowlands will be known collectively as the Panthers. Their school colors will change to black, royal blue and silver, and they will combine faculty and classes under one roof as the new South Ridge High School.

torggy

Post Number: 1550

Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A man accused of hoarding more than 100 cats at his Two Harbors home and at his Duluth Township property pleaded guilty on Friday to one count of animal neglect and several counts of animal maltreatment.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/192475/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1669

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My uncle called this morning and in some newsletter Barb Laiti Jackson was asking if anyone had CV albums they would like to donate. He named the years they have and sure don't have many. Guess they want to have these available for people to view. I know I am not giving up mine, only wish I had more to be honest.
Maybe someone out there knows more about this and would like to post more details about it.

torggy

Post Number: 1551

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet he means the March Township Newsletter:
http://www.duluthtownship.org/pdf/newsletter/march2011.pdf

I have not looked at it for a few months. It is really got allot of stuff in it the last couple issues. The pictures of Blue Bird Landing in the March issue are great! Haven't finished reading it yet to know if there are annuals wanted

You can see all the issues here
http://www.duluthtownship.org/newsletter.htm

torggy

Post Number: 1552

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya, part way down on page 2. Gonna keep them at the North Shore Library. Let the public look at them. Cool idea. I could give them mine but I don't know if I want everyone reading what is written in it. LOL

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1670

Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine have writing in them also, except my uncle's, but I want to keep all of them. Seems I am looking back on my annuals often, looking up something.

I noticed at Pamida yesterday, they have those weiner dogs that you can write on. I had one of them in high school and had kids sign it!!! I might still have it in my cedar chest even.

torggy

Post Number: 1554

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got disturbing news from the North Shore. Clifford is in the hospital to have major heart surgery.

He was at Homesteaders last Wednesday but Thursday had a hard time breathing and Jerry Jackson took him to the hospital.

Clifford is a social and historic link to life on the shore. My hopes and prayers go out to him and Lilly.

clifford

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1676

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to hear this, how old is he?

torggy

Post Number: 1555

Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graduated in '47 so I am guessing 80 or 81.

I asked my mother how Lilly, Clifford's wife is doing. She has had problems with her eyes and other things. Mom said that the neighborhood seems to be taking good card of her for now. Mom went over this morning and said there was more food than Lil knew what to do with and people were constantly stopping by to do things for her.

What a wonderful little community French river is.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clifford's dad was Victor Sundstrom, one of the three Sundstrom brothers that came over from Finland in the early 1900s. All three were commercial fishermen. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for Cliff and wish him all the best.

torggy

Post Number: 1557

Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Word from the North Shore this evening is that Clifford had his operation yesterday and is up and walking today. I am sure he needs time to recover but the word is that his outlook is good.

He was in the operating room while the memorial service for his niece, Janice Olsen, was being held at French River Lutheran.

torggy

Post Number: 1561

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some great pictures of fishing at French River:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/photogallery/id/1908/

One has a neat picture of the bridge.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1688

Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know French River has gone to hell!!! Well according to the sign on the freeway heading towards Duluth it looks like it anyway. For months now the French River sign with its arrow has been pointing DOWN!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1563

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL, but if ya think about it, when you are on the New Highway French River is right underneath ya.

Anyone ever walk through the French River tunnel? Used to like to do it in the winter.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1689

Posted on Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so true, and the sign certainly fits now!!

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 142

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tunnels can be a fun place to escape the heat of summer. If one was not at the dam then the tunnel was a nice little swimming hole to hang out in. The Sucker river tunnel was a bike ride but another place to cool off on those hot days on the shore. I have walked thru all the tunnels out there as a kid. Schmitt Creek was a small tunnel but the one under the tracks was better. What a ride if you took a sled in the winter if the ice was right!

torggy

Post Number: 1567

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ya know Max I am kinda kicking myself for never having explored the Sucker or it's tunnels. It is a larger river for that area and is in a steep ravine with a great looking railroad bridge. I bet that made for a great tunnel to walk through.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration