Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Happenings 2011 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1698

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We went shopping today, and hubby suggested we stop at the Old Lakeview Castle (Clearwater Grille now). On the way in we met a friend we have not seen in years, and he warned us the portions are big. They did have some half portions, and I had the Yankee Pot Roast...excellent. Hubby had Smoked Turkey and Cheddar Cheese on wild rice Cranberry bread (toasted) and ordered sweet potato fries which were extra. He raved about the sandwich, and he is fussy so must have been good. It was just enough for us.
Very impressed, looks the same inside, except brighter color, less TV's and no games. Our waitress was fantastic, and filled us in on everything. She said the owners of the motel(not the same as the grille/catering) are remodeling the rooms and going to have a little liquor store over there.
She said they are adding a deck out front on the castle, and should be starting that soon. The windows were really dirty though and need washing both inside and out, but other than that, we were impressed and certainly will go back. Also they are putting in a bar in the dining room area. I understand they are on Facebook, so will check them out.

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1564

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear the place is doing so well!! Saw they were doing allot of work on it when I was back in October. Bigguy spoke highly of their catering.

Clifton has such a history of different businesses. Bars, fruit stand, store, lumber yard, fish stand, restaurants, hotels, hay rids, cabin courts and who knows what all.

Anyone remember the little chapel there used to be under the trees between the Forest Inn and the Castle? Closest to a church the area had I think.

bigguy
Pro Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, the little church was moved down from Arcadia. When it was up there, we used to stop in there to warm up in the winter. No heat, but out of the wind.

Molly Dollar runs a classy operation. I'm not surprised at all that the food is good. Thanks for posting, Blondie. I'm sure others will try it out based on your good report. I certainly will look forward to going there this summer.

torggy

Post Number: 1566

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brought down from Arcadia? Wow whod a thunk? For a place that sat empty for so many years there sure was allot of stuff there. Thanks for the piece of trivia.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think George and Lillian Hadekie (sp) had it moved. They owned the Forrest Inn before the Baumgardners. George and Lillian's daughter Lynnae was (is) married to Cliff Korrell, who played hockey for the Chicago Blackhawks.

There's some trivia fer ya!!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1568

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to deliver papers to the Forest Inn when the Hadekie's(sp) owned it. Actually went out with Lynnea's sister Signe for awhile. We ..aahh... used to spend some time in that lonely little chapel under the trees.

Just looked up Cliff Koroll. Quite a hockey career.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1701

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did I, and even found a picture of Lynnae, they have two children. He was born in Canora, Sask. Canada in 1946. I will try copy the picture of Lynnae Hatecke...she would have graduated in 1965.
Tell us Torggy about your time spent in that lonely little chapel :-)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1702

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It didn't want to copy right, had to open up as an attachment. so here is the link
http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/search/label/Koroll

Scroll way down the page and there is a picture of 4 women.

torggy

Post Number: 1569

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can find those CV grads everywhere! Lynnae was a pretty girl in school and I remember her as being a really nice person.

Blondie, as the song says, we were "working on mysteries without any clues". But then a gentleman never tells

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1703

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, your a gentleman? Just kidding!!!
She had a long ponytail in school. I don't remember her sister at all.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1704

Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, isn't it "you don't kiss and tell"!!

torggy

Post Number: 1571

Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Duluth Township has redone its web site. There are some great pictures on the front page and be sure to check out the history page.

http://www.duluthtownship.org/index.htm

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster
Username: kathleen_wilde

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boy I haven't been on here in awhile! I am letting everyone know that there is a get together @the lighthouse on the 31st about 5:30 Dennie and Linda Johnson will be home as well as her sister Bonnie and her husband Gary anyone want to stop by you are more then welcome if you want to eat we will order around 6pm

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathleen, please tell them hello from me and sorry I'll miss them. I'm due in Two Harbors on the 10th of June. Tell your Uncle Lawrence hello from me too!!!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let us all take a moment on this Memorial Day weekend to remember all of the veterans from our neighborhood who are no longer with us--especially three who made the ultimate sacrifice:

Theodore Mattson--WWII

John Mattson--Korean War

Dodd Keller--Viet Nam War

Gentlemen, we stand at attention and salute you! You will never be forgotten.

Rest in Peace.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1715

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is nice bigguy, very nice.
For me, seeing Dodd's name choked me up a little, as I graduated with him and he was such a nice kid in school.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 09:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a nice time @ the Lighthouse tonite nice to see everyone Bonnie and her husband Gary and Dennie and Linda Hope to see each other real soon again!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1717

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Barbara Mattson's website
http://www.riversedgegardens.com/

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1718

Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More than 471 tons of soil has been excavated from the site of the former Clover Valley General Store the past week in what the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is calling one of it’s “more extensive” clean-ups of old petroleum storage tank sites.

Project manager Laura Hysjulien said the MPCA was made aware of contamination of groundwater at the store site in 2000. It took 10 years to navigate through ownership of the old store site and then a determination that the state would need to pay for and execute the clean-up.

The site is at the intersection of Knife River and Home-stead roads in Duluth Township.

“That’s a lot of soil,” Hysjulien said of the project going on this spring. The MPCA can usually let soil repair itself from gasoline and diesel leaks but the four tanks at the store “saturated” the soil. The MPCA determined that excavation was necessary because of bedrock in the area along with sensitive water areas like wetlands. “There were places for (the contamination) to go,” she said.

Hysjulien said fuel got into the groundwater at the site but monitoring over the years has shown no signs of the fuel reaching private wells, wetlands, or streams in the area. The MPCA is installing two water table monitors at the site once the cleanup is finished. Hysjulien said she expects her agency to “close out” the site in a year, meaning it will show no more risk to the environment.

The Clover Valley General Store had four tanks. Gas was held in two 1,000-gallon tanks and one 500-gallon tank. Diesel was held in one 500-gallon tank.

Ownership changes and hardships for those owners meant the state had to take over the cleanup, Hysjulien said. The state can often apply costs to owners but the agency first concentrates on the environmental impact, she said. It was decided to ahead with the project without owner cooperation.

The total cost of the clean-up will be about $225,000, Hysjulien said. It includes the complete investigation, which included drilling numerous holes and testing the soil and groundwater around the site.

“We have tested private drinking wells and done tests to see if vapors have entered homes,” Hysjulien said.

The costs include the removal, transport, and disposing of the soil. The excavation crew is also driving water away from the dig site and that water has to go through a water treatment system before discharge, Hysjulien said.

“I know people are happy to see this addressed,” Hys-julien said.

TAKEN OUT OF LAKE COUNTRY CHRONICLE

torggy

Post Number: 1574

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad they got it cleaned up.

Did you know that Mad Max still carries a bottle opener with Clover Valley General Store advertising on it?

Clover Valley General Store

torggy

Post Number: 1575

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this too.

Clover Valley General Store Ad

torggy

Post Number: 1576

Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy is about to leave on his annual pilgrimage to the North Shore. I hope he has a safe trip!! Let us know how it goes.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had anpther get together this time @ Judy's cafe in Two Harbors next will be July 21st @ the New London Cafe in Duluth one and all welcome for a get together and catch up on old CV!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there will be a get together august 6 @ the headquarters building @ split rock @ three pm for classes 65 66 67 68 there is a $3 charge for parking bring a favorite dish and enjoy an afternoon with your classmates!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that Jeanne Hollapa will be home!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1726

Posted on Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be sure to say Hi to Jeanne for me, we keep in contact always at Cmas.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1727

Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On our way home from Duluth we pulled over so I could snap a picture with cell phone of wild flowers between Homestead and Tom's Logging.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice photo, Blondie. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a reminder, the Coming Home Party at the town hall is Saturday, August 13th, beginning at 1pm.

I hope the weather won't be like it is today! For those of you not in the area, it is extremely humid, and hot!!!!OOFDA!!!!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1730

Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we have gone by a couple times, and your vehicle wasn't there. It is 91 out there now, this is way too hot even for me, as it is humid!! You should see the people already down at Burlington Bay!!! It was packed yesterday, and sure it will be worse today.

torggy

Post Number: 1580

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found this great old picture.

Fish Fry

boon
Pro Poster
Username: boon

Post Number: 194

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Torggy. Brings back memories, of course. That's the McQuade Store over to the right, isn't it. I used to work at The Fish Fry for a very short time while in high school. What year do you suppose this is?

Also, Blondie - great picture. They weren't blooming when we were there at the end of May but it was just as lush green.

Thanks to both of you.

torggy

Post Number: 1581

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had to bet I would say early to mid-fifty's.

This picture has both big elevated signs. Later years there was only one.

Also, the Fish Fry building itself has been built into what it was in its later years. Not sure what year that was done.

Any one know what the little building on the far left is? The top of the sign says "Drive in service".

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1731

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think my mother cleaned cabins there for awhile, before cleaning for Lakeview Motel.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1732

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if they didn't sell fish from that stand.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a Smoked Fish stand. The highway is the old concrete one, notice the flair on the side toward the buildings. The photo is middle 40s. Looks like about a 46 Chrysler or Plymouth. The highway was replaced with asphalt in 51-52. They took out the bridges over most of the creeks at that time as well. We had to walk over to just east of Spruce Court road to get on Walter's bus because the bridge was out. You can barely make out Carl Berquist's Kaiser-Frazer dealership just beyond Midlam's store. (It later became the Clifton Fire Dept).

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact, the photo could be early 40s. The 41 Chrysler Corp. cars looked like the 46-48 cars. They only built a few cars in 42, none in 43-44, a few in 45. We had a 45 Dodge that was shaped the same as the cars in the photo.

torggy

Post Number: 1582

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought that looked like a cement road. The reason I said the Fifty's is because the car in the middle of the road did not look like it was from the 30's or 40's, looked newer than that. The picture posted is the size I got it so it is real hard to tell for sure.

Ya for most of 1942-45 they were to busy building tanks and such.

Thanks for the info Bigguy. Fun stuff.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1733

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/205006/ Lighthouse restaurant closing

torggy

Post Number: 1583

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just seen that!? What a strange deal. Business was good but the bank closed us?

I sure hope that can be worked out. With Shorecrest, Lakeview Castle and no this all the area meeting places are gone.

The place was a treasure trove of local area history. I hope something can be worked out.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1734

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The castle is still there, just a different name, still looks pretty much the same in the bar area. The big dining room is gone though, they use that for special occasion's I guess.
History yes, can't beat that, locally owned, can't beat that either..... I hope too that they can work out what ever happened with the bank.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 145

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was strange seeing the story in yesterday's paper about the Lighthouse. I just ate out there last weekend. The Lighthuse was full with people waiting to be seated. Maybe things can be worked out with the bank. We will have to wait and see.

ron_from_fl
Rookie Poster
Username: ron_from_fl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

enjoyed the fish fry lodge picture. My parents, fred and leona midlam owned the store till 1956. My grandfater, claude midlam own lodge. I was the little guy that pump gas at the store. I would have graduated from cv 1959. We moved to Venice fl in 1956. I enjoy reading the stories and hope to add a few.

torggy

Post Number: 1584

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to hear from you Ron. Look forward to hearing some of those stories.

Used to go on hayrides that left from the Fish Fry. There are other pictures and stories about the place here on the Forum. Use the search button at the top of the page and type in "fish fry" and you can find them all.

If you find a picture you like let me know and I might be able to get you the bigger version.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron from Florida, I was out fishing with your classmate George S. yesterday. Good to see your post. Your name comes up once in a while in our conversations.

Didn't you play pro baseball for awhile? I remember your were CV varsity in the 8th grade. I was one grade behind you. I remember your family well. Lois was one or two years older than you? Didn't you have a little brother Earl too?

ron_from_fl
Rookie Poster
Username: ron_from_fl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2011 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my grandfather had the hayrides. when I was 12 & 13 he payed me to walk beside the tires during the slow part of the ride. As a young boy, I saw a lot of sparks coming out from under the hay. I sure did look forward to my hamburger when we got back to the lodge.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget a bout the get together for classes 65 through 68 @ the splitrock lght house on the 6th of august @3pm

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1735

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good thing the State shutdown is over!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1736

Posted on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

someone stole all my solar lights I had along my sidewalk, I have had them there for the last few years, I hope they enjoy them.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a nice time @ the get together @ Split Rock today not many people came though lots of food left over nice to see everyone !

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1737

Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is too bad not many came. I love it up at Split Rock.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1739

Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Lighthouse on Homestead is relocating to Emilys in Knife River. I wish them good luck. Too bad the bank didn't work with them more.

torggy

Post Number: 1586

Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Story in the paper about the Lighthouse at Emily's in Knife River. I wish them the best of luck!

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/208636/

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great news to hear, I'm glad they found somwhere to go because, while the building was nice, it's the food and great service that is what I liked the most>>>>

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1744

Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sis in law said, wait to go there until they get better organized. She said they are running out of things all the time. Not sure why, but they probably didn't expect as many people right off the bat.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those of you CV graduates who are RVers, I found Penmarallter Campground to be a great place to stay. It is a well managed campground with a parklike setting. Penny and Stan, the owners, go out of their way to make sure your stay is most enjoyable. I have Verizon Cell and MI-FI service and both worked flawlessly. TV reception is fine also. There is no cable but reception from Duluth stations is fine. There is minimal noise from the Expressway at night.

I left before the Lighthouse at Emily's opened for business so was not able to have one of my favorite burgers. I understand they are busy all the time so I'm glad to hear that.

102 here in Red Bluff, CA yesterday. Cooler today!

torggy

Post Number: 1589

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear you had a good stay on the North Shore. Sounds like a nice place to stay.

Good to hear you had a safe trip home. I passed through Red Bluff end of August on my way home from Sacramento. Was to hot there for this old Norwegian.

The wife and I are going to be spending a couple of weeks in Duluth next month. Really looking forward to seeing the family and the lake.

I well be returning to Sacramento end of October for a couple weeks. Might have to make a stop in Red Bluff!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1747

Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Parking is a big problem though at Lighthouse now. Haven't been there yet, one of these days though.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1748

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lots of big trailers already at Penmaralter campground. Colors are slow this year along the shore, guess farther inland they are peaking.

torggy

Post Number: 1590

Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then I well get to see them as I cross the borber and head south through the Iron Range to Duluth!!

torggy

Post Number: 1591

Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coming to you live from the monthly meeting of the Clover Valley Homesteaders. Flu shots and great food!!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome! My greetings to everyone there!

torggy

Post Number: 1592

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having a great visit to the North Shore! But there is so much to do.

I got one story from Pete Beck Sr. He was moved from CV to Bloomingdale as a sixth grader and had to walk the top of the wood fence to be accepted by the "in" Bloomingdale crowd. Must have been quite a test as he still remembers it.

Had a great time at Homesteaders showing some the pictures and stories from this web site. Hope to tell some of the other stories I heard in the future.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1752

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

they only had 3 big rooms, and hard to imagine they had so many grades back then, but they did.
But when I went I was transferred to CV in like 4th or 5th grade, just vise versa. Yes, if he still remembers that, it must have imprinted in his mind.

Back in "old" days, one had to attend a Duluth school to graduate, not sure what years that was, must have been in the 20's as CV graduated its first class in 1933

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1755

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

had a great time with Torggy and family at Lighthouse at Emilys. I like it in there, they have the bar area, plus two different seating area's. Decor was nice. Impressed!
sure was getting busy when we left there.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we had agreat time with kids from 66 and 67 met @ the lighthouse also Gloria Johnson was down from Alaska we are getting together on the 17th of november @ the old lakeview castle @ 5pm if anyone is interested you can be from any class good to see all!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did not know who Blondie was dining with @ Emilys lighthouse we were talking about the forum and people were asking who Torgy was and he was sitting in the next room with Blondie? you guys should have come over to the table none of us remember Torgy!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1756

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know I was dining either until Torggy called me in the morning. I didn't realize you were with CV people either except did see Mary, but thought nothing of it. Then leaving ran into Peggy, and then kind of wondered if this was your monthly gathering. Was surprised to see Peggy, and she did talk to Torggy. When I stopped to say HI, I was going to introduce you to him as your on here, turned and he was gone.

(Message edited by Blondie on October 16, 2011)

torggy

Post Number: 1594

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaa dang it. Wish I had known. Would have loved to talk to everyone. Wish Peggy had said there were a bunch of CV'ers there. I spent almost two weeks in French River and it was not enough. I still love the place but there was just not enough time to do everything I wanted to.

You guys could try posting some CV stories though to make up for the mis-connect. LOL

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1757

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes they should start posting on here!

valleygirl
Pro Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loved the get together at the lighthouse. Sorry, if you didn't know of others from CV, Torggy. Would have loved to visit awhile!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have posted it I try to post everytime we have a get together this last time I forgot Peggy should have said something to you Torgy but I will take full blame for it when ever any one is comm ing up this way E-mail and we can try for a get together thats why we were together because Gloria came home also it was our monthly get together which will be the 17th of November next time @ the old Lake view castle

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1760

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kathy don't worry about it, things happen, all of us can share in the blame!

torggy

Post Number: 1595

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have been paying more attention. I didn't realize till after I left that the place was filled with CV grads. There was just so much going on and my visit home was just to short. Just means I gotta get back more.

What is really funny is that we were all at the same place at the same time.

torggy

Post Number: 1596

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did have time to have a couple of drinks with Steve(Fred) Syrett and Royal(Abe) Abrahamson at the Clearwater Grill. Formerly known as the Castle.

It had been a number of years since we had seen each other so there was lots to talk about. One of the best stories was told by Abe.

The day the old school caught fire the Lakewood fire department was called in to help with the blaze. As Chief, Abe played a large roll in the attempt to put the fire out. He somehow got to a position, equipped with a large fire hose, above the fire, I believe he said a ladder truck. From his vantage point he made a committed effort to not let the fire spread any further. You could see the emotion that still affected him when he spoke of the events of that night.

Abe said he made a promise to himself that the fire would not go past the stairs leading to the new part of the school. He said "it stops here". To this day the stairs are still there.

It takes special people to be volunteer firemen and Abe is a great example. It had to be really hard to have his vantage point and watch the old school burn down.

One of the incidents during the fire was that as more fire departments arrived to help fight the fire the powerful hoses started to tear the building apart. Blasting bricks from the wall and sending them flying out the other side. No one was hurt but a Two Harbors truck was damaged.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1761

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks for sharing that story, he is a great guy. I just wish they would tear down the school totally now! Time for closure!!!

valleygirl
Pro Poster
Username: valleygirl

Post Number: 71

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjoying Ireland, but alas, tomorrow is back to the States. Look forward to seeing you all soon. That would be next summer, as the "Valley" and the warm weather of Texas is calling. Slainte all!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valley Girl, what the heck are you doin' in Eire? Trip with your sis?

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 288

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a mess! The whole twoharborsforum/clovervalleyforum website got messed up, either from my own ineptitude or from a crazy hacker. I've returned the main page to a 3 year old version, but it's all I have for now. At least it seems to work.
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey admin, do you have a brother named Steve who was on the USS Cleveland, LPD7 homeported in Long Beach, CA in 68-69?

admin
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 289

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pretty darn close - he's my uncle. Got any good stories?
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it really wouldn't make any difference . . . .

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My brother and I were on the USS Hector and Steve was on the Cleveland. Our neighbor, John Stromgren was on the Cleveland and that's how we met Steve. Ask Steve how he liked Subic!?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1762

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE SERVED AND ARE SERVING OUR COUNTRY!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome and much appreciated. It's nice to know our Veterans are not forgotten.

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had a good time as usual with the C.V. group tonite we met @ the old lakeview castle good food! we are meeting on the 15th of December same place everyone from C.V. WELCOME we meet @ 5pm for dinner I will try to remember to post this again before we meet!

shoreboy
Rookie Poster
Username: shoreboy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy,
My first attempt at posting. My username is based on a grouping a teacher gave to describe those of us who grew up near the lake.I
can't remember which teacher but I remember it had a negative inference."You shore boys think...."
Perhaps you never heard it since you were a well behaved scholar!

torggy

Post Number: 1600

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you mention it, I remember distinctions being make between "shoreboys" and those that did not live on the shore. But was it a Bloomingdale teacher or a CV teacher?

As someone that moved onto the "shore" I had to fight my way into the hood. Remember who I had to fight?

Damn shoreboys anyway. LOL

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 147

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboys? Cripes living on the shore and I don't remember that term. All I seem to remmeber Granger (Mr. G) calling all of us "Yard apes"

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1769

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LMAO here over "yard apes".

torggy

Post Number: 1601

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Granger, master of the mimeograph machine.

shoreboy
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Picture of Clarence "Marv" Swensons commercial fishing shack.I remember at least four of these in the French River area.

torggy

Post Number: 1603

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! What a great picture. I can remember that place looking like that. The foundation and parts of the boat slide are still there.

Got any more like that?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

West of French River were the fish houses of Paul Johnson (he lived just east of Stromgren's Motel, Steve Wallace, Marv Swenson, Arvid and Walter Johnson's, Eddie Mattson, Adolph Sundstrom (my granddad), John Sundstrom and John Gustafson, for a while Andrew Carlson, Victor, Clifford, and Bert Sundstrom and later Jerry Jackson, Don and Dewey Dunnell. Walter Tenney had a dock and boat just east of Forrest Inn on the point. I listed them from east to west.

I remember the boxes of fish lined up along the highway for North Shore Freight Lines to pick up. The fishermen would pack them with the ice they stored in the ice houses over the winter. I remember when we were kids, teenagers "borrowing" a skiff to row to Anderson's Store or to the French. Not particularly easy to pick up girls in a Herring skiff. I think that's where I developed some of my sales skills! The girls would have to explain when they got home why they were covered with fish scales! I'm going to leave it there!!!

Those of you that know Jay Zink, have him tell you about the Model A magneto he installed in his 56 Chev and why! A little homework for you, you'll enjoy the story!

torggy

Post Number: 1604

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little building that my Grandpa, Stephen Wallis, used as his fish shack, sits in my Mother and Dad's yard. Little green, log slab sided building they use to store yard stuff over the winter.

It was used a few times as an overflow cabin for Stromgrens hotel when they were full.

torggy

Post Number: 1605

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture of Mrs. Mann. I believe this is Shoreboy's, Grandmothers sister. Quite a catch she had there. They are hanging on the side of another little cabin my Gradfather built. It is still pretty much the same now as then.
Mrs Mann

torggy

Post Number: 1606

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this picture of a boat called the "Grace H" stuck in the ice somewhere on the shore.
grace h stuck in ice

shoreboy
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ruth Mann was my aunt. In the 30's she built a very nice log home along the shore. It was burned down by vandals and was later the site of the Walter Johnson family home. Ruth would take a young Jerry Jackson fishing with her. My grandmother owned a cabin that is now a portion of the Jay Zink residence.

shoreboy
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember my parents buying herring from someone named Red just east of French River.I believe Hjalmer(sp?)Mattson also fished from there. Is there any commercial fishing on the North Shore at this time?

torggy

Post Number: 1607

Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Jerry Jackson may be the only one in the French river area.

We stopped at the Fishing Museum this summer. There were some familiar names and allot of great history.
http://www.commercialfishingmuseum.org/

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I believe you mean Joe Redlock. He lived at Hjalmer and Louis Mattson's. He had a nickname I remember as a kid, the neighborhood referred to him as "Slingshot Joe". Story was he always carried a slingshot in his back pocket.

I remember Mrs. Mann and yes, she was a very good fisherperson. So was Julia Alseth. (Lived above Hjalmer).
Shoreboy, I delivered your newspaper after Martin Jackson gave up the route. You probably remember your dad talking about meeting the war correspondent, Ernie Pyle, over in Italy during WWII. Did your dad ever talk about that?

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe Redlock/Slingshot Joe- I remember now. Some place I have a news paper article about him meeting Ernie.I save nothing but my mother saved everything-just need a cold winter day to go through it. I know the stash contains pictures of your uncles. Martin would tell me stories about Carl,my dad, and him having some good times in pre and post WWII days.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is another commercial fisherman in the area. His name is Steve Dahl and he lives on the Old North Shore Road just west of the Berquist Rd. He fishes year around so if you are hungry for fresh fish, Steve or Jerry Jackson would have fresh herring in the fall. Again, Steve fishes them pretty much year around according to my sources. Steve fishes out of Knife River.

Shoreboy, do you know what year Mrs. Mann settled there? I'm sure Jerry would know if you don't. It would be interesting to know the history of who settled, and when. I've mentioned it before, my granddad settled there in 1905. He had a log cabin at the base of the driveway where the highway runs now. The only way out there was the railroad or they also rowed, yes rowed from Duluth. There were a number of families that had already settled back in the country. The book "Roots of the past, Seeds for the future" does a pretty good job of laying that out.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think 30's but don't know for sure.I remember my grandmother talking about the road/trail that ran from the old north shore road to the lake.Since the road came down to the lake on the west side of the creek I wonder how they hauled the building supplies to the west side?Mrs. Mann had a large log home so maybe they floated the logs in.The ravine by Zinks is steep but by the Walter Johnson homesite I believe it is less of an incline.Another story I remember is that Jerry Jackson helped Mrs Mann plant the row of pine trees that now borders the Syrett property to the west.

torggy

Post Number: 1608

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture from the early 40's of Mr.Palm and his horses clearing my parents place. There were allot of big pines around even then. Wonder if Ruth just used the trees that were already there to build her log cabin.
Mr. Palm
I have been told that there were several buildings and homes that had to be moved back from the lake to make room for Hwy 61 to go through.

Shoreboy where did the road you mentioned go through?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That road was what we called the "logging road" and came down into the Dahlberg homestead just above Cliff Sundstrom's. Right at the top of Pine Tree Road. That trail went all the way up to the McQuade Road thru Palm's property. The crossing was removed from the railroad tracks quite a few years ago. We actually drove on that road when they redid highway 61 back in 51/52. There was no gravel, it was just two ruts and easy to get stuck!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy and Torggy, Jerry Jackson would probably have quite a bit of information about that area. He was telling me that where his house is, above Jay Zink's, there used to be a log loading skidding thing that went up to the railroad tracks. Next summer when I'm back there, I'll take a notepad and quiz him a bit. Should be some good info there!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don"t forget a get together @ the old lakeview castle I keep forgetting the new name! thursday the 15th @ 5pm allis welcome!

kathleen_wilde
Pro Poster

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

classes of 65 66 67 and 68 we are having a class reunion on sept 8th for these classes please contacted Mike Grub Sandy Rose Coolidge Marilyn Story and Linda Britton the cost will be $30 per person we will be having it @ the Clearwater Grille a roast beef and baked ham buffet with a cash bar hope you can make it social hour from 5to6 and dinner@ 6:30

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration