Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Winter 2011/12 < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bigguy
Pro Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time to start a new one?!

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1609

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great idea Bigguy. Thanks.

Last month when we were back home my sister and Shoreboy's sister walked up what is left of the road from Greenwood and Pine Tree and over the tracks. I remember that road now. There is an old truck hidden in the woods there just off of Greenwood.

Speaking of Pine Tree Road
Pine Tree Road

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That photo dates back a ways! Has to be in the early 50s. Olson's Cabins and Smoked Fish on the right. I worked there in the middle 50s. We had three cabins, $1.25 per person and up! Gust Dahlberg had the original fish stand here. The house you see on the bottom was built by LeRoy Olson who lived in Minneapolis and drove up every weekend! The Newman family owned the fish stand and cabins prior to him. You may remember the Newman name. They owned Newman's Pharmacy in West Duluth. They had a summer house about a block west. The house is still there and has had many owners over the years.

The truck in the woods belonged to Bud Lundin. Some of you know Chuck Lundin. That was the Lundin property. Their home is still there. It was a Model A Panel truck I believe. I remember when he used that truck! Bud sailed on the Great Lakes.

The photo just misses a picture of the old ice house. It would be on the right just out of the picture. We played in it as kids. Lots of sawdust which they used to insulate. It would send our mothers off the edge when we walked in the house covered with sawdust!

shoreboy
Regular Poster
Username: shoreboy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who are these girls taking me for a walk in May,1953?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the left is my cousin, Susan Sundstrom Skallet, the right is Judy Johnson. Great picture!!!

torggy

Post Number: 1610

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AAHH, aren't they cute? Flirting with the girls way back then, eh?

Love the house behind them. Whose is that? So many of the buildings and cabins had that same siding.

(Message edited by torggy on November 27, 2011)

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct. I believe Judy lives in the Twin Cities,not sure about Susie.
Torggy,that house was to the right of where the garage now sits. The new house was built in 1959.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 148

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just have to love those old black and white photos. Thanks for sharing these.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I'm curious as to what you all called the creek that ran by Ruth and Walter Johnson's? We had a name for it. Never did know if it had an "official" name. I've not seen anything in writing. I've mentioned previously in postings that this creek had a bridge just like the French River bridge we played on when we were kids. The bridge was removed and replaced with a culvert when they redid highway 61 in 51/52. I thought I'd ask because your dad, being involved in stream improvement earlier in his career might have know the official name.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember referring to it by name.Makes me think about the copper mine shaft in the creek below the previous Martin Sundstrom residence.We kids were reminded several times to stay away. I wonder if they ever sealed the entrance.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That cave is still there. We actually crawled back in there in the winter on the ice. It makes a left turn after you go in 30 or 40 ft. If you have the book "Roots of the Past, Seeds for the Future", there is a photo of Claude Midlam standing in front of it.

That creek was named "Gooby
Johnson's Creek" and it was named after Charlie Olson who lived down by the highway. It was named by Victor Sundstrom years and years ago. He had that great Scandanavian sense of humor. Any of you that know Cliff Sundstrom, ask him about that. You'll get a laugh out of it!

torggy

Post Number: 1611

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Gooby Johnson" LOL Sounds like a good north shore name.

Bigguy, I believe this picture is of the houses next to your Dads place.
next to Bigguy

torggy

Post Number: 1612

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I talked with my sister last night and she remembers your old house quite well. She said that there were several pieces of it in the new house. Like the Dutch door in the basement? Kind of nice to have that connection.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, the house on the right was the house we lived in with my Granddad, Adolph Sundstrom. The one to the left is the home of John Jacob Cole, and to the left of that is Gust Dahlberg's property. So just left of that is the photo you posted earlier of Pine Tree Road. This photo would have been taken from Victor Sundstrom's yard.

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1771

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just finally looking @ our local paper, and saw a home on Greenwood Rd for sale, it is only $699,900, along with a picture. HOLY COW!!!!

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That house is acually on 61 but the driveway is on the very south end of Greenwood.I believe it is a B&B. Very big/nice/unique colors.
Speaking of real estate I am contemplating moving back to the area after being away 40 years. If anyone knows about 5-40 acres for sale in Duluth or Normanna townships please email me.

scratch
Rookie Poster
Username: scratch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, try this web site, it had a copy on it from my old stomping grounds.

http://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=r&q=normanna%20minnesota

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks

ron_from_fl
Rookie Poster
Username: ron_from_fl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "Roots of the past, seeds for the future" still available? I am Ron Midlam, Pensacola Fl.

torggy

Post Number: 1613

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This page has that answer Ron. Plus some other interesting things.

http://www.duluthtownship.org/history.htm

torggy

Post Number: 1614

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you ever get back to the North Shore Ron?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1772

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to send that link to my aunt in Florida, those pictures will jog her memory for sure.

ron_from_fl
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torry, thanks for the info. My wife & I plan to visit the northshore area this coming year. I cannot remember what week is the summer on the northshore. Just kidding.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1773

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is for sure, which week is summer around here!!

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found a 50th anniversary 1924-1974 booklet for French River Lutheran in my mother's belongings.States that earlier services were held at Bloomingdale School and then a church was built at the corner of Ryan and Paul Roads in 1924 and the current church in 1954.Found the confirmation lists interesting.Those listed would be approximately 53 to 103 years old now.I will try to post.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1774

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, I sure recognize lots of people, especially in the 50's and early 60's

torggy

Post Number: 1615

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! That's a walk down memory lane. The early names are really interesting. The church has an archive of the families of the area that belonged over the years. It can be fun to go through.

I have a couple pictures of the old church I well have to find and post.

torggy

Post Number: 1616

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found a couple pictures of the old French River Church.

This one looks like it was taken just as church let out.
church

And this one looks like maybe the Sunday school class

church and kids

torggy

Post Number: 1617

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more of the kids
kids and church 2

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's Pastor Greene's 53 Ford sitting next to the stairs.

torggy

Post Number: 1618

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's fun when some one can identify something like that. As I look closer now I see the last picture is backwards. Oh well.

I was baptized in this church and have a plate with it's picture.

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 70

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - I do I recognize names off that list, I was confirmed there in 1972, and my wife and I were married there in 1976. I also have a plate with the picture of the church, Torggy, someone made mention in one of the lists about going to church and after church they had all the history items out on display - and some kind of luncheon or social hour, I don't know who it was, it may have even been you. would like to find out more and if it is an annual thing- would love to go

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have resevations to stay on the north shore 12/15 to 18th, at Dodges Log Lodges, - Can't wait to try the new Lighthouse Restaurant. would have been a real shame if they had not found a way to continue in business.

torggy

Post Number: 1619

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spending a few days on the shore sounds great. Being by the big lake is always interesting.

Does your plate have the new church on it or the old one?

I can't speak for the church but usually they are very willing to show people the history stuff they have. Maybe go to church on Sunday and ask to see it. They have conformation pictures and family trees. Kinda fun.

They did a nice job on the recent church remodel and the present Pastor is well liked. Had a nice visit with him at Homesteaders in October.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The plate I have shows the church in the as I remember it from the 70's, before the additions, since then I have been in the parking lot to walk the path to the dam but haven't been in the building since the late 70's. I'm sure a lot has changed. We were thinking about going to the services, but have to be back in Minneapolis too early Sunday to go. Every year I vow to go up just to go to church and see if I recognize anyone - but life keeps on going too fast and another year goes by. Maybe this year will be the year.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 73

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

then I find that French River Lutheran is on Facebook...... and they have a event planned for this Saturday the 10TH

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 74

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if I can talk my wife into driving up just for the day ????

torggy

Post Number: 1620

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The food there would be great. Might be worth the drive up. LOL

Walked through the parking lot to the dam many times. The path is still there and still fun to walk.

The plate I have is of the old building up on the corner of the Ryan and Paul roads which is a family home now. I have not seen one with the "new building". But then it would be the old building now that it has been remodeled, eh? LOL

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't remember the plate thing.Maybe you had to answer those questions at confirmation correctly to get one!
Getting cold in MN. I am heading south to Navarre,
Florida to greet my son who is returning from another tour in Afghanistan.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy- you have to let us in on the story about Jay Zink and the Model A magneto. I new his daughter as a teenager, but never got to know Jay. Make me want to go introduce myself.

Shoreboy - have to agree with Madd Maxx, I never heard the term shore boy before, maybe It was just before my time @ CV.

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I've lived in Navarre for 16 yrs. It's a small world!

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy,he lives about 4 blocks inland from the navarre beach bridge.He is a special tactics combat controller based at Hurlburt.What brought you to Navarre?

torggy

Post Number: 1621

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Gulf Coast should be a fun place for a North Shore boy to vacation. Even have another CV'er there already. Have a good time Shoreboy and please, thank the son for his service.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron from Florida, was it 56 or 57 when you guys moved to Florida? I remember you playing varsity baseball at CV when you were in the 8th grade. I see some of your old classmates every summer up there. Saw Kenny Mandelin, Herb Wahlberg the summer before, of course my cousin George Sundstrom. Your class had a reunion about three years ago and I saw quite a few of them. Joan Abrahamson, the Cooke sisters, Ida Borgen, Pat Strand. I see Barb and Betty Johnson every summer I'm back there.

I remember going to your folks store with my granddad. He would get $2.00 worth of gas, eight gallons!!! Your dad also pumped the gas and washed the windshield, find that now! Pure Oil and a lot of people probably don't remember that there was a grease rack on the side of the store toward the fire dept.

ron_from_fl
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy, we moved to fl in 1956, the community gave us a very nice going away party. Ida Borgen was in Pensacola a couple yrs ago, we had a nice visit. Betty and Barbara were our neighbors, the whole Johnson family were our very best friends. We were in four-H together and their mom, Alli was our leader. Pensacola is about 15 to 20 miles from navarre, fl. will be on the shore sometime next year,possibly May. My wife Linda and I are looking forward to the visit.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron,We always fly into Pensacola.Great beach and naval air station museum.Usually end up at Mc Guires at least once.

ron_from_fl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shoreboy, pensacola, east to panama city is an area known for our white sandy beaches. The naval museum, I agree is something all should see. I remember riding the bus to both bloomingdale and clover valley. driver walter johnson. Riders, my sister Lois, Betty and Barbara Johnson and the little me. Walter was in our store one day and asked my mom about my school grades. Mom replyed they were ok, Walter replied, wonder what the grades would be if ronnie spent less time in the principals office.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron, I was on that bus too. Remember Kenneth Tenney? He walked home more than once!!! Walter's bus was a 1937 International, a solid 62 horsepower. Then he got a 54 Chev. Here's a couple of your old neighbor's names, see if you remember them-Duane Vlasin, Roger Saari and the Swedbergs. The Eikens, Brulas, Dave and Margaret Peterson, Macauleys?

cindy
Regular Poster
Username: cindy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I live in the Holley by the Sea subdivsion, a mile or two from the Navarre bridge. Came down for husband's job and his parents live here too.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cindy,When my son was looking for houses in 2008 he looked at several inside Holley.I have occasionally talked to your cousin BN in TH.We both belonged to the MN assoc. of high school principals.I retired 3 years ago and I believe he retired 2 years ago.

ron_from_fl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy, I reconize most of the names you listed. I have several deer, bear and other game pictures my dad gave me before he passed away, I can mail you or possibly torggy a set. All are from the shore area.

torggy

Post Number: 1623

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would love to see the pics Ron. You can mail them to me or E-mail them. If you want to mail them contact me at torggy@twoharborsforum.com and I well forward you an address. Or E-mail them to that same web address.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron, that would be great. By the way, I spend my summers on the shore near Two Harbors, at Penmarallter Campground. So if you are there between June 12th and the end of August, stop by!

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 76

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

had a great time in Duluth over the weekend, we went the same weekend last year and it was below zero at night and 3 above during the day, this year, much better. We ate at the Lighthouse at Emily's - twice - just as good as I remember
Madd Maxx - what's the hugh building they are building on the hilside in west Duluth??

(Message edited by m_johnson on December 19, 2011)

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The big building is the new middle school. They put in a new road way to the school. Did you notice the house up along skyline parkway? I went to an open house there. A great view but they do not have city sewer. A holding tank which will have to be pumped out and a big cost to the well that was drilled.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1781

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so that is what it is, noted that one day and had no idea what that building was at all.
Yes, noted the house too. Oh no sewer, and apparently no city water either if they had to have a well. That is an extra expense, being rock, bet they had to go down darn deep. I gather if you went to an open house it was/is for sale?or you have an in!!:-)

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 153

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The builder ran an open house while the house was being built. All the rooms were framed in. The owner was still shopping for everything that was going to be put into the home.

Yes, the well is very deep and the basement is attached to the stone. When crossing the Bong bridge back to Duluth from Superior the house is in clear view.

I tried to drive by the new school last fall but the road has a gate. You can look down on the school from the over look on Skyline parkway between 28th and 40th avenues.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quiz for Big guy-I am on judy's lap-Who are the other 3 kids?

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, I've had to send out for help!!!! We have a good idea that the boy on the far right is George Nordling, his sister Judy in the lap of I'm not sure who. I'm waiting to hear back from my contacts. I'll keep you all posted.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy,You are on the right track

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 77

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas Everybody, please have a safe Holiday weekend.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 155

Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I a question for everyone out there. As I have been doing some looking into the local Vhistory of the greater Clover valley area.

Where was Namebini located? Get this off the top of your heads. I will give you a hint: it was just east of Nea if this helps.

perry
Regular Poster
Username: perry

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sucker River

torggy

Post Number: 1628

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great to hear from you Perry. Glad to see you are still out there. How is life in Wisconsin?

I had just read about the name "Namebini" a few days ago. But I am confused as to "Nea"

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 156

Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Namebini was/is the area of the headwaters to the Sucker river. Back in the day it had the greatest concentration of large white pines in the state of Minnesota. It only took a few years to log the timber. I found this information while looking up the history of logging the white pine by Alger Smith.

Nea was another location to the west and Molde was just to the east of Namebini. These were little settlements during the logging era which ended up being local ghost towns back in the day.

(Message edited by Madd_Maxx on December 30, 2011)

perry
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy New Year to all Cavaliers.

torggy, life in NW Wisconsin is fine. In 2010 we moved to the outskirts of St. Croix Falls to be closer to my work, our three grown children, and our only (so far) grandbaby, who is just about three, and she is a delight. In the late summer of that year I had an affair of the heart, but with a stent installed in one artery, I'm strong again. At our new place I'm busy with fencing and outdoor carpentry, and Robin works on gardening, landscaping, and remodeling and painting inside. I'm working out the riddles of a new set of small trout streams. This fall I published a book of short fiction. I'm waiting now for the snow, so I can get out the cross-country skis, and the sleighs for our two riding/driving horses.

I haven't been to CV for quite a while. I will make the short trip, in the new year.

I don't often post on this board, but I enjoy the history and the reports of current events in Clover Valley.

Best wishes to all in 2012.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 78

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry,
I go thru St Croix Falls every weekend in the summer on our way from the cities to the lake, We have a seasonal site in a resort on Big Trade lake. When you cross the river the problems of the world melt, some day I too will live over there.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BigGuy-The 3 others in the picture are Judy,Linda,and George Nordling. For those of you who do not know the family their father George Sr was an early graduate of CVHS. The "Nordling farm"was at the end of the Nordling Road which is just west of the Scenic Cafe.I remember George Sr brothers Art and Carl and I believe there might be a sister.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE:Remains of CVHS. When my sons were younger we traveled to the TH arena to play hockey against THHS.I don't know if they are still there but the bleachers in the upper viewing area by the concessions were from the CVHS gym.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, a clarification on that photo you asked about. The older girl on the left is Donna Wesela, family friends of the Johnsons. I had Ray look at it. Donna was the same age as Ray's older brother Bruce. Judy J. appears to be about 3 years old. I am four years older than Judy J. and Ray's brother Bruce was four years older than me. Donna appears to be about 11. Make sense?

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Makes sense since Judy N is younger than Judy J. My mother must have mis-labeled the picture.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bigguy-However,Judy must be at least 7 since she is 6 years older than me.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1784

Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I happened across an article in the paper today about a woman that was on "Wipeout". She graduated from THHS,but what caught my eye, was her mother's name, Patty Heino, I am sure some of your remember Patty.

torggy

Post Number: 1629

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blondie I remember the name and I went through my one yearbook and did not fine her in any of the classes below me so I guess she must have graduated somewhere between me and you. It is fun to see a connection to the area on national TV!

Perry, it sounds like you have been very busy! You wrote a book? Where can we find it? It also sounds like you might be waiting awhile for that snow.

Ron from Florida sent me a packet with a bunch of really neat pictures. I hope to share many of them, as I get them scanned, over the next few weeks. This one is fantastic.

clifton fire trucks

The big sign says "Clifton Auto Clinic" "general repairing" "tires batteries accessories"

Little sign says "beat the heat" "Skelly service"

I have this picture in a HUGE size. If you want one just drop me an email and I well sent yo one.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1785

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy she was behind me, but not sure how many years.
That picture is so neat, do you know the year by any chance? I wonder who the guys are in it. Look at those trucks, awesome!!

torggy

Post Number: 1630

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet Ron or bigguy can fill us in as to the exact year but I would bet it is some where around 1949 or 50. I am also waiting for bigguy to tell me what make and year of the trucks. LOL I think the guy to the far right is Fred Midland but again Ron or Bigguy well know better.

Here is another picture of the same trucks and building but now the sign says " Clifton Fire Dept" "volunteer"
>clifton fire trucks
Again I have it in a much bigger size

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1786

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

looks like the building had a "face lift" here.

perry
Regular Poster

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Patty Heino was in the class of 1970. I don't remember her too well. I graduated three years earlier.

torggy, my short story collection is described here:
http://www.whitefishpress.com/bookdetail.asp?book=128

No good snow yet for sleigh rides. We had a surprise overnight visitor in our granddaughter, who is about to turn three. She sat on each of the horses this morning bareback when I went out for morning chores.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember a siren on top of the fire hall that you could hear for miles.It seems like an odd place(in the far corner)of Duluth Township to put a firehall.

torggy

Post Number: 1631

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never thought of it but that really is the very corner isn't it? Might be why they moved it.

I remember the siren being on top of the fire hall. But do you remember where it was before that?

See that structure on top of the far sign? That is the fire siren! I showed this pic to Clifford this fall and he pointed it out.

torggy

Post Number: 1632

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perry, a book about fishing. How appropriate for a northern Minnesota boy.

Speaking of fishing. Here is a pic Ron sent of a fish he caught in the Talmadge.

Oh I forgot to point out the worm can Ron has on his belt. Pretty Cool!

(Message edited by torggy on January 08, 2012)

torggy

Post Number: 1633

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and if you look in this picture you can see the fire siren just to the left of the fish. However it looks totally different than the structure in the other picture.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 157

Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey those old Clifton fire truck photos are great. The truck #1 with the pump mounted on the front I believe is The 1949 "Diamond T". You could pump water and drive the truck. When you drove the truck you felt like you were sitting on the floor. I am not sure when they would had sold that truck but the truck was still in service in the early 1980's.

I have no idea who the guys in the photo are but many one could be Jack Barlass who help started the Clifton Fire Department. His photo was on the wall of the old fire hall. I am sure the photo was moved to one of the newer fire halls once they were built.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1787

Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great pictures Torggy, brings back memories of how it used to look down there!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Madd Maxx. The guy on the truck I believe is Jack Barless. He was one of the first, if not the first fire chief. That Diamond T was a good looking truck, red and shiny!! The one in the middle in the first photo looks like a 37-39 International. The county had dump trucks that were similar. Cindy Barless was a poster on this website so maybe she can respond.

You all recall that I mentioned sometime back that the fire hall was a garage owned by Carl Berquist. He actually sold Kaisers and Frazers there for a few years. Ron from Florida, didn't your mom and dad have one? I think Carl Berquist was a brother to Ethel Anderson, of Anderson's Store.

I can remember hearing that siren when I was a kid. In those days, phone lines were party lines which would have made it very difficult to reach the firemen. Things were not sophisticated in those days! Party lines were anywhere from four to eight families. There was a lot of listening in going on! If you wanted to call someone that happened to be on your line, you had a different number to dial. Ours was something like 11961, and then you held the hangup button down and let it ring a couple of times and hope they answered.

Jumping back to the Diamond T, some of you may remember Joe Gustafson. He grew up on the Ryan Road across from the England Road. His dad Olaf had a Diamond T dumptruck. I saw Joe some years ago at my brother's house and asked him about it. He has actually restored it. It would be fun to see. I remember Olaf hauling gravel from the dam on French River. They would have to dredge it out every few years. Olaf was a brother to Ben Gustafson who was the Supervisor at the Fish Hatchery.

Getting back to the photo, the man in the middle is hard to recognize, the photo quality is not clear enough. Ron might know who it is. He had a front row seat to what was going on there.

shoreboy
Regular Poster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2012 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of early phone days I remember phone exchanges also had names. 525 was referred to as Jackson 5 and the downtown 72_ exchanges were called Randolph and west Duluth 62_ exchanges were Margaret.Maybe a remnant from the days of telephone operators.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shoreboy, a slight modification to the list above. The West Duluth exchange was Melrose. My aunt worked there as an operator. The building is still there. It's an apartment building now. It's around 57th avenue west above a small park off Grand Avenue.

I remember my grandparents in Knife River had the old phone with the two big round batteries where you turned a handle which would dial up the operator and she would come on and say "Number, please"?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1788

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had lunch today with friends down at "Lighthouse at Emily's." I do love their "French River Dip" and they have the best Iced Tea up north. I will rate this with southern Ice Tea, which is nice and strong, not see through tea that is very watered down!!!

ron_from_fl
Regular Poster

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

imagine how loud the fire siren was for me, we lived above our store. The fireman on the right looks like my dad but I am not sure. one of the fire trucks shows the year of the licence tag, I think it is 1953 to 1956. I did a lot of fishing on the talmadge, always enjoyed it.

m_johnson
Pro Poster

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Torggy, I managed to get a picture of the plate from French River church. I assume its from the early sixties, unfortunately the finish is peeling off so it doesn't look very good anymore, it has a list of the ministers on the back and it ends with Rev. Marvin E. Green it says he took over in 1954 and dosent give an end date

(Message edited by m_johnson on January 15, 2012)

torggy

Post Number: 1634

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome picture. I remember seeing others like it, been a long time though. They moved down to the present location sometime in the middle '50s. Not sure how long it took to make it like it does above. The new remodel is really nice too.

It's kinda funny, I got a plate with this picture:
french River Church
and it also has a list of the Pastors with the years served. It also has Pastor Green as starting in 1954 and is open ended.

Bigguy has a CD with video of the present church being built. It well be exciting to see it. (no preassure bigguy) Its just that the subject of the church came up and was hoping others out there may have seen this video and know something about it.

Just talked to Captain Nylen tonight and he says there is one name missing from the conformation class list posted above by Shoreboy. The Captain says that Mary Green, daughter of Pastor Green should be added to the class of 1960. We thank the Captain for his always astute observations.

ron_from_fl
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

big guy, my parents did buy a kaiser. we left the shore in 1956, the kaiser, pulling our mobilehome. We headed to ft. Myers fl., my mothers uncle lived there. We pulled into a mobilehome park sixty miles short of ft. myers. We .stayed in the venice area. My brother Earl still lives there.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1790

Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was coming out of Barnes & Noble today, and I saw this woman, and I thought that is Mary Murhpy. I turned and asked her. Sure enough. She didn't remember me, but I mentioned some kids that were in my class, and I could see she was going back in her memory bank and she did remember Michelle Alpert. She goes, "You were the older ones", she really remembered her 8th grade class. Would have chatted longer, but that wind was rather sharp up there at the Mall.

torggy

Post Number: 1636

Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This picture from Ron is neat from so many aspects. Not only the two cute kids but there is the cool old Sea King boat motor and a view of the shore we do not get to see very often. In the back round is the shore long before the "safe harbor" with both the Fish Fry and Midlam's store. There is only one tall sign in front of the Fish Fry and before it was remodeled.

fish fry from lake

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 158

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great Photo! The Sea King motor, I believe was made for Montgomery Wards. They also sold boats with the Sea King name. So I would guess the boat owner may had ordered the motor from Wards in downtown Duluth.

bassman
Username: bassman

Post Number: 987

Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You would never see two youngsters in a boat like that today without life jackets...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration