Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * Great reading < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sna
Rookie Poster
Username: sna

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How exciting to find all these memories of Clover Valley and classmates. I have been to two reunions with my class of 1960 and was thrilled to see the community and classmates. My dad, Al Ness was principal of CVHS and we lived for some years in one of the teacherages next door to the school.how fun to read student messages, road names and events. Any news I would appreciate. Thanks much

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1732

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2016 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So glad ya found us!! I have learned so much about CV history over the last few years. Some times I go back and read whole threads from the archives just for the fun of it.

Living next to the school means you must have lots of stories to tell.

If you live close the the valley a group called the Homesteaders gets together once a month at the town hall on the Homestead road. Lots of CV stories heard there.

sna
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember thinking about the students who had such a long ride to school on Herb Garth's bus. I admired them to get to school through mud, snow, rain and back roads! Herb deserved a medal to drive that route. A real coincidence later came. My dad had a community chous and one of the members was Julian Aunan who was the uncle of my future husband from Denfield. A small world indeed. Later when I was a junior and senior we lived down by the big lake. It was and is magical to watch the water change from angry to soothing in a heartbeat. If you walked the lake shore I could see classmates it various places on the lakeshore doing the same. A real sense of common feelings and community follows. We went Lindquists often as Norma was a soloist in the chorus and we would have Loy's of fun with sing alongs with Norma and Bill. I learned to drive my old shift car in the Bloominton parking lot, without running into the walls but it was close!

blondie
Pro Poster
Username: blondie

Post Number: 1913

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

weren't you a Majorette for awhile, if memory serves me right? Your dad was the Choir director at school I remember that, as I was in choir for a while, until I dropped out. If I missed my bus when I was in Bloomingdale, I was always able to catch Herb's bus, as his would be the last bus that went by my house.

sna
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I was a majorette junior and senior years. I worked with elem girls to start the program. We called them Minorettes and I was happy to see the program grew into Majorettes. I was busy at our games because I was a band member, majorette and cheerleader. That is what was great fun being part of a small student body.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1914

Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a majorette with you for awhile too!

sna
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're you in my class 1960?are you lucky enough to still live in the area? I dint know the had torn the school and houses down, it was a sad surprise when I visited the area on a nostalgic drive.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1915

Posted on Friday, March 18, 2016 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a couple years behind you, and yes I still do live in the general area, not the same as when I grew up.
They torn the houses down many years ago actually and the school was bought by Sviola, him and his family lived in the old part. I can't recall what year it was, but that part of the school burnt down. The remains of the school the newer part and land were sold after that. I wish they would tear down the rest of the school though as it has been vandalized so bad. At least it was still standing last time I drove by. Sad to see what has happened there over the years.

torggy

Post Number: 1733

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sna
Rookie Poster

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the picture Blondie. Looking at those school front doors really brings back memories of the boys who has cars along with the buses waiting in the driveway loop to go home. How we rushed to go out. Those doors. Also, my dad always worked late and closed up the school in the night hours. One night he stepped out the front door and walked smack into the poles resulting in a concussion and a really bad black eye. He learned to carry a flashlight after that incident. Remember the lunch room with the cold milk despencers? That was good milk! Also always meat, cheese and potatoes at every lunch. Times have changed drastically about school lunches but we seemed to survive very well back then.after I graduated from UMD I went back to substitute at CVHS occasionally . It was great. Just like old times. What happened to our trophies and other CVHS memorabilia? When they closed the school where the students in the community go? I saw the picture of the faculty later on some of my teachers were still there, Gazet, Trevillion and Thompson and Lindquists. Wonder where are they now? I see on this site Norma Lindquists had recently died. That is sad to hear. Also on of my classmates Helen Oberg.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1916

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually Torggy posted the picture. Yes I do remember that milk machine, the coldest and best milk and the lunches, they made the best chocolate pudding too!!! I loved their pudding!!! I helped in the kitchen and that was fun. Have you been to any of the reunions? Mary Murphy has come to a couple of those that we had at the castle. My fiance used to be one of those cars parked behind the buses many times waiting to pick me up, incidentally I married him and still am married to him! My senior year, last class I used to go downstairs and type for Mr. Trevllion, it seems to me, he passed on as did Mr. Lindquist. Not sure about Ms. Gazet. I know that North Shore School has the year books or did. Not sure about any of the other stuff.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1917

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Mr. Trevillion did die.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/thomas-john-trevillion-jr

torggy

Post Number: 1734

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1735

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1736

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1737

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1738

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1918

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my gosh, I recognize so many of the kids in these pictures, names do escape me on some though. But Jackson's come into the picture!! The cheerleaders, the only one I recognize is Karen Solem though.

torggy

Post Number: 1739

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The classroom and cheerleader pics were sent to me by Norma.I have some more I can post later.

torggy

Post Number: 1740

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1741

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1742

Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love these pictures although it is hard to identify faces after all this time. Karen and I were cheerleaders together at UMD also. Was this a pic of the girls glee club? The faculty picture was a hoot! Fun to see those friendly faces. They were nice people. Betty McCall was inspiration for me to major in. Phy ed which I taught for thirty years and then switched to EBD special ed for the last twenty years.i just retired this school year. I find retirement a little boring however. I always had horses and my daughter and I raised and showed Quarter Horses, 122 of them, until 3years ago! You mentioned in an older thread that Priscella was a neighbor of yours, she was a friend and classmate of mine. I met her again at our 1960 and 1961 reunion. That was a real eye opener to see all the classmates.

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Love these pictures although it is hard to identify faces after all this time. Karen and I were cheerleaders together at UMD also. Was this a pic of the girls glee club? The faculty picture was a hoot! Fun to see those friendly faces. They were nice people. Betty McCall was inspiration for me to major in. Phy ed which I taught for thirty years and then switched to EBD special ed for the last twenty years.i just retired this school year. I find retirement a little boring however. I always had horses and my daughter and I raised and showed Quarter Horses, 122 of them, until 3years ago! You mentioned in an older thread that Priscella was a neighbor of yours, she was a friend and classmate of mine. I met her again at our 1960 and 1961 reunion. That was a real eye opener to see all the classmates.

torggy

Post Number: 1743

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was taken several years ago before the paint ball people got in. The stairs lead down to the cafeteria. All the walls that made up the classrooms have been removed.

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1919

Posted on Monday, March 21, 2016 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, that is so sad!! Wonder why they tore all the rooms out anyway.

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How sad to see the inside of our CVHS! What happened with paint ball people? If you read the great books from Brian Freeman mystery series I think one of his locals is our CVHS, all of his books center around Duluth and surrounding areas. A real intriguing trip with his detective Jonathan Stride. Great books, they bring right into home ground. Is our building completely gone now? Classmate Laurel tells me there is a clover valley get together ever August. Have you attended these events?are there many classmates still living in the area as you are? The pictures of the fish fry was stirring. We went there every Sunday it was our one day out as a family.

torggy

Post Number: 1744

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The paint ball people have used it for their little paint ball wars and there are splotches of paint all over the place.

There is a "come on home" party held every August at the town hall on the Homestead road. I could not find the exact date for this year. Here is the web site for the town hallhttp://www.duluthtownship.org/ though and some one there can tell you. It also has some great history stories of the area.

I live in Washington state and Blondie still lives on the North Shore.

bigguy
Pro Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Class of 56 photo above the interior photo:
Left to right, front row:
Barb Strand
Ione Lee
Joan Borgen
Middle row:
Jean Abrahamson
Betty Johnson
Patsy Alseth
Elaine Pahkala
Third row:
Phil Carlson
Bruce Johnson
Bill Truscott
Bill Aho

The younger kids below the cheerleaders are the class of 61. I'll try and identify the people in the other photos as time allows.

torggy

Post Number: 1745

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bigguy I am always impressed with your memory. Neat to see Phil Carlson in a picture like that.

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big guy Do you have the picture taken at our 1960 reunion at the town hall?.

deckhand
Regular Poster
Username: deckhand

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can post a few pics of the 2010 Reunion.Class of '60 in 2010

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheerleaders:
Ann Sundell (Class of 60, but left earlier)
Karen Solem
Linda Olsen
Sandy Ormandy

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Photo below Mr. Trevillion:

Class of 57
Front Row:
l to r:
Margaret Peterson
Dave (Dumpy) Laiti
Charlie Anderson

I'll try to ID the rest Later. I think I know most of them!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1921

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recognize many in the class of 57, but putting names to faces, well. Dumpy how could I forget him, great basketball player and his brother Phillip (who I had a mad crush on)!!!! Went to all the games when those two played!!!

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1922

Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back left Schwedinger (sp)? That one I know for sure.

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Big guy Help me with the fellas names in our 1960 picture. I reconize some like yourself, Roger, Ray and Reijo but ....thanks much for the picture Deckhand.

torggy

Post Number: 1746

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

torggy

Post Number: 1747

Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sna, the guys are:
from the left below Reijo and Ray:
Bruce Lundgren, Dennis Olmstead, Joe Pearson and Don
Peterson.
Below them are Curt Nelson and Ken Beck.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo just above my message is the Class of 58. I'll try to ID as many as possible before my brain goes into "warp" mode!

sna
Regular Poster

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Big Guy. I am sure they probably don't know who I am either!

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Class of 58:
starting from the left row:
Frances Frink
Helen Aho
Not sure
Joyce Beck

Next row:
Karen Christenson
next guy?
Next guy?
Irene Beck
Don Alseth
next girl ?

Third row:
Charlotte Grochek (sp)
Peggy Gustafson
Judy Hamlin
next two guys?
Gerald Hirsch
Next guy?
Fourth row:
Karen Wiseman
Alice Swartz
Judy Stromgren
Duane Solem
Gary Sironen
Wally Mattson

Can someone fill in the blanks?

blondie
Pro Poster

Post Number: 1923

Posted on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow you are good. Gerald Hirsch lived on the McQuade road, Alice Swartz lived off of it. Lived just down the road eventually from Wally Mattson.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my posting of the class of 58 I identified one of the girls wrong! She is Bernice Beck, not Joyce Beck. I don't know where in the heck I got Joyce from! Also, some of the boys I couldn't identify, several names come to mind. I think Howard Britton was in that grade, as was Axel Larson. Could be them?
Here are the teachers from an earlier photo:
First Row (l to r)
Ms Ellingson
Mrs Kohn
Ms Sampson
Mrs Wilmunen

2nd Row:
Mr. Johnson
Ms. McCall
Mrs. Dieckman?
Ms. Gazette
Mr. Mostrom

3rd Row:
Mr Ness
Mr Lindquist
Mr Zobitz
Mr Goldfarb
Mr Thompson (music teacher and band instructor)

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo of the class of 61 is above the teachers, above the school with snow on the ground. I'll get to identifying the students in the next day or two.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration