Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Two Harbors Forum * Clover Valley Forum * 2020 What is happening < Previous Next >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

madd_maxx
Pro Poster
Username: madd_maxx

Post Number: 178

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been a while since I have posted anything on this site. As the year started for our country, I have been as busy as ever. Now with Covid-19 our daily lives have been changed. How are all of you coping with life during these times?

torggy
Username: torggy

Post Number: 1790

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2020 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Year started off great. However the last couple weeks have been a challenge. Our household has a couple of the "at risk" ailments so the risks of cabin fever are running high. We have enough toilet paper but our "wipes" supply is running low. May have to go out on a recon mission soon.

Good to hear from you Max. Stay healthy.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 179

Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have taken two drives up the shore. The number of cars parked at French River all the way down to McQuade safe harbor. So many guys out fishing for steelhead. The number of trucks with boat trailers parked filled the parking lot. So many boats our trolling for fish from the French River to Lester River. People are finding time to spend outside with the warming weather.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 180

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully the link below will send people to youtube that a guy shot at Hjalmer's Mattson's old homestead. I came across this one night surfing the youtube channel. I know I have posted photos years ago on this site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FdazaJWgIk&t=279s

shoreboy
Regular Poster
Username: shoreboy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2020 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My parents used to buy herring there from a man named Joe Redlock(sp) who also lived there.

torggy

Post Number: 1791

Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There sure are a lot of things we could tell that kid about that place. Just hearing it called a fish camp is weird.

Never heard the name Joe Redlock. I'll try to remember to ask Mom and Dad about it.

bigguy
Pro Poster
Username: bigguy

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2020 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Joe Redlock when I was a kid back in the later 40s and 50s. He was a caretaker for Hjalmer's father Louie. Hjalmer was on the lake a lot so he needed someone to care for his sickly father. Joe Redlock lived up the McQuade Road in a small home behind where the Seckinger home currently sits. There used to be a logging trail that started off Greenwood Road Just above Cliff Sundstrom's home and next to Gust Dahlberg's homestead. It ran up thru the eastern edge of the old Palm farm and ended in Seckinger's field right next to the logging trail. I used to partridge hunt that area.
Joe Redlock was given the nickname "slingshot Joe" by the old scandinavian's in the neighborhood. Redlock always sported a pair of neat and clean coveralls with a tamoshante hat. The nickname came because he always walked around with a slingshot in his back pocket. AT least that is what I was told! Joe kept the yard looking immaculate. It was always neatly mowed and nothing out of place. It was like a park down there, unlike what it turned out to be in later years.
I'm sure there are some older timers than me that could share some memories of that place. Torggi, your dad would remember him and the place.

torggy

Post Number: 1792

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the road up from Clifford's. Wasn't there an old car rotting away there?
I'll ask Dad in the morning

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The old car was just east of the logging road. It was a Model A panel truck, owned by Bud Lundin. You maybe know his son Chuck. I remember when he drove that Model A. Lundins lived in the first house on the upper side east on Greenwood Road from the logging road.

torggy

Post Number: 1793

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do remember Chuck. He was a nice guy. Heard he was still around someplace.

Asked Mom and Dad about Joe Redlock. Said they just remember him living with Hjalmer and that's about it.

bigguy
Pro Poster

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chuck is still around. Lives somewhere up in Normanna Township.

madd_maxx
Pro Poster

Post Number: 186

Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Chuck driving an old panel truck, I think it was a chevy.

m_johnson
Pro Poster
Username: m_johnson

Post Number: 102

Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2020 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas
And
Happy New Year.

I hope 2021 will be better

torggy

Post Number: 1802

Posted on Friday, December 25, 2020 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Merry Christmas back at ya m_johnson and Merry Christmas to all you Cavaliers out there.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
Please enter your username and password. Registration is required to post. Please consider registering - it's a painless process.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration